Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

GD_American posted:

Has there been any non-fired coach that jumped from the NFL to college in modern memory besides Petrino and Saban, who are both widely vilified for doing so?

I dunno how "modern" we can consider Lou Holtz but he jumped ship, and I think Butch Davis quit?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back
Texas fans going to know how it felt to be Tennessee fans last year. Gruden!!!!!

buddhanc
Feb 16, 2010

nate fisher posted:

Texas fans going to know how it felt to be Tennessee fans last year. Gruden!!!!!

No one is counting on Tomlin to be a serious contender for the job. He just had his agent contact the school, that's all. He would be paid more at Texas, but it would be ludicrous to move from the Steelers to college.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
Would Texas even really want him? I mean as far as coaching goes of course they would (or should), but does he have any sort of track record as a recruiter? We all joke about how Texas can get whoever they want just because they're Texas, but Mack Brown recruited his rear end off at UNC too.

Insert tomlin_timeout.gif here, I guess that would probably be enough for me to want to play for him.

BigSexyWitGlasses
Nov 1, 2009

Are you guys reporting rumblings from Orangebloods again because I can't find anything linking Mike Tomlin to the Longhorns.

Dijkstra
May 21, 2002

BigSexyWitGlasses posted:

Are you guys reporting rumblings from Orangebloods again because I can't find anything linking Mike Tomlin to the Longhorns.

Hey buddy, this kind of info costs nine bucks a month. So you can take it to the BANK.

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!
It just kills me when sitting, non-about-to-be-fired NFL coaches' names are floated about as candidates for college jobs like that ever happens at all.

I mean, the peak of stupidity was when Chip Kelly's name got mentioned. A first-year NFL coach who has a loving show-cause order got mentioned for a big-name school job. Whoever wrote that should have his fingers broken in ways they can never use a keyboard again.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

I think we can all agree that this coaching carousel is a failure if it does not result in Ed Orgeron having a head coaching job somewhere next season. Yaw, yaw, and all of that.

DuckHuntDog
May 13, 2004

I think recruiting isn't a huge hurdle for former NFL coaches, though. It is such a huge focus of the job, but I imagine Tomlin could make the transition if he seriously wanted the job. Mike Sherman was primarily an NFL coach when A&M hired him, and he managed to recruit pretty well. A fairly young coach with a Super Bowl win would be a pretty big draw. That said, there's no way he's considering the job.

You are right about Mack Brown having been really good at recruiting, and Texas actually struggled a bit with it before he came here (John Mackovic was terrible at recruiting). A&M being successful and having a pretty good recruiter in Sumlin doesn't help much, either.

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx
Not that it will happen, but if Mike Tomlin coached UT I'd immediately start watching them; if nothing else, I have a good friend going there for college who is crazy about football.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

R.D. Mangles posted:

I think we can all agree that this coaching carousel is a failure if it does not result in Ed Orgeron having a head coaching job somewhere next season. Yaw, yaw, and all of that.

Ideally USC goes on a run and keeps him. He took his team out to movies and waffles! He's the anti-Kiffin! He's just what they need!

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!

GD_American posted:

Has there been any non-fired coach that jumped from the NFL to college in modern memory besides Petrino and Saban, who are both widely vilified for doing so?

I can't remember if Mike Riley "resigned" or was axed in San Diego before he went to Oregon State, that whole early 2000s NFL thing is just a lot of rage and sadness in my memory

Kim Jong Il
Aug 16, 2003

DJExile posted:

Yahoo reporting Tom Jurich will not leave Louisville.

Was it from Forde? Because he's a gigantic UL homer.

nate fisher posted:

People might be scared of how screwed up it is, but Texas is infinitely, infinitely more desirable. Also Tennessee was stupid for not going after Briles or Dantonio.

buddhanc
Feb 16, 2010

Kim Jong Il posted:

People might be scared of how screwed up it is, but Texas is infinitely, infinitely more desirable. Also Tennessee was stupid for not going after Briles or Dantonio.

Yeah, it was from Forde. If anybody could pull Tomlin or someone like that out of the NFL, it would be Texas or Alabama.

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back

Kim Jong Il posted:

No Tennessee is stupid for hiring Dooley over Sumlin. I know hindsight is 20/20, but just look at their records at the time. Urg!

I hope I have seen my last coaching search for the next 10 years.

Kim Jong Il
Aug 16, 2003
Butch Jones is pretty much the definition of mediocre. When I watched Kelly at Cincy, I knew he was destined for better things. Jones just managed to not screw up what Kelly did too much, but his roster quality was on the decline. His record was inflated by the BE starting to get worse.

BigSexyWitGlasses
Nov 1, 2009

I'm gonna go out on a limb and say the only time Mike Tomlin gives a gently caress about the Texas Longhorns is during their pro day workouts.

buddhanc
Feb 16, 2010

BigSexyWitGlasses posted:

I'm gonna go out on a limb and say the only time Mike Tomlin gives a gently caress about the Texas Longhorns is during their pro day workouts.

You're probably right, but a lot of coaches do care about getting the highest paid job in college and the NFL. If a big time coach like that comes, the salary will be anywhere between 8-10 million per year.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

buddhanc posted:

You're probably right, but a lot of coaches do care about getting the highest paid job in college and the NFL. If a big time coach like that comes, the salary will be anywhere between 8-10 million per year.

When has the coach of Texas Football been the highest paid coach in all of pro and college football?

buddhanc
Feb 16, 2010

Spacebump posted:

When has the coach of Texas Football been the highest paid coach in all of pro and college football?

I'm saying the next coach will be. Highest paid in the NFL is $7.5 million, I think. The budget is around there, if not a little higher for a bigger name coach.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

buddhanc posted:

I'm saying the next coach will be.

Have their actually been reports of this anywhere outside of people on message boards? (I'm legitimately curious, I haven't followed their search for a new coach as much as you.) I know they have loads of money to spend but $10 million just seems ridiculous.

buddhanc
Feb 16, 2010

Spacebump posted:

Have their actually been reports of this anywhere outside of people on message boards? (I'm legitimately curious, I haven't followed their search for a new coach as much as you.) I know they have loads of money to spend but $10 million just seems ridiculous.

I should have added that incentives would be the only way to push it up to the $10 million range. There are estimates and texas insiders/reporters with "big money donor" sources that have reported the salary projections. If it's someone like Briles, it will stay at what Mack Brown made. If it's someone like Saban, where there is a potential bidding war, then it will bump up a lot. They reported about $170 million in revenue last year and there are 8 or 9 billionaires who donate to the program. It's pretty disgusting how much money they spend on a game.

buddhanc fucked around with this message at 14:52 on Oct 12, 2013

BigSexyWitGlasses
Nov 1, 2009

Kim Jong Il posted:

Butch Jones is pretty much the definition of mediocre. When I watched Kelly at Cincy, I knew he was destined for better things. Jones just managed to not screw up what Kelly did too much, but his roster quality was on the decline. His record was inflated by the BE starting to get worse.

What's funny about Butch is he lost when the Bearcats faced off against Tennessee :laugh:

no but really I think Butch will be fine. Recruiting is going great. Recruiting the way Butch has is at least a recipe for being relevant again. Without going into a lot of detail, the second half against Georgia last week was some of the best play-calling I have ever seen. We're 2-3 right now when you look at the talent Dooley left us/what we lost to the NFL draft, that is exactly where we should be.

Kim Jong Il
Aug 16, 2003
Was the problem with Dooley recruiting? All I heard under Dooley and Kiffin was how great recruiting was going.

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!

buddhanc posted:

I should have added that incentives would be the only way to push it up to the $10 million range. There are estimates and texas insiders/reporters with "big money donor" sources that have reported the salary projections. If it's someone like Briles, it will stay at what Mack Brown made. If it's someone like Saban, where there is a potential bidding war, then it will bump up a lot. They reported about $170 million in revenue last year and there are 8 or 9 billionaires who donate to the program. It's pretty disgusting how much money they spend on a game.

Saban could get 25 mil a year from them if he wanted. Easily.

buddhanc
Feb 16, 2010

GD_American posted:

Saban could get 25 mil a year from them if he wanted. Easily.

That would make me vomit

buddhanc fucked around with this message at 15:41 on Oct 12, 2013

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back

Kim Jong Il posted:

Was the problem with Dooley recruiting? All I heard under Dooley and Kiffin was how great recruiting was going.

Kiffin basically depleted the roaster, and left. Dooley was a decent recruiter (his classes were in the top 15), but an awful coach. His real downfall last year was the scheme Coach Sal put in that Tennessee didn't have the players for. Still neither one of them had a class at UT like UT currently has. This is the type of class (no matter how it finishes) that fills some of the big needs we have right now. Will Jones win at UT? No idea, but I like our chances under Jones more than I did under Dooley. I know you love to poo poo on Jones (not the first time), and you maybe right, but please excuse UT fans having a positive outlook given how the last 5 years have gone. He is our coach, and I will give him 3 to 4 years to show me he is the man for the job.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know

nate fisher posted:

Kiffin basically depleted the roaster, and left. Dooley was a decent recruiter (his classes were in the top 15), but an awful coach. His real downfall last year was the scheme Coach Sal put in that Tennessee didn't have the players for. Still neither one of them had a class at UT like UT currently has. This is the type of class (no matter how it finishes) that fills some of the big needs we have right now. Will Jones win at UT? No idea, but I like our chances under Jones more than I did under Dooley. I know you love to poo poo on Jones (not the first time), and you maybe right, but please excuse UT fans having a positive outlook given how the last 5 years have gone. He is our coach, and I will give him 3 to 4 years to show me he is the man for the job.

Awwww, you sound exactly like me after the Zook hire. I tried to convince my friends it was a terrible hire, and welp.

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back

swickles posted:

Awwww, you sound exactly like me after the Zook hire. I tried to convince my friends it was a terrible hire, and welp.

At least you guys didn't have back to back Zook hires.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend

Frackie Robinson posted:

Just wanted to pop in and say that it's funny that we're all pretending Texas isn't going to beat OU in some baffling manner and extend the coach drama past the end of the regular season.

:smug:

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
Mack gonna get a 5-year extension y'all

Emanuel Collective
Jan 16, 2008

by Smythe

Benne posted:

Mack gonna get a 5-year extension y'all

at USC

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

Haha what happened?

Ron Pauls Friend
Jul 3, 2004

effectual posted:

Haha what happened?

Mack literally performed a WEIRD OLD TRICK to stay employed, exactly like the title of the GDT

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

So, does that save Mack's job on it's own?

buddhanc
Feb 16, 2010

No. It just helps his farewell tour

CrumFUNist!
Nov 27, 2005

Spiritus Nox posted:

Considering how strong the Texas/Oklahoma rivalry is, likely so.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

CrumFUNist! posted:

Considering how strong the Texas/Oklahoma rivalry is, likely so.

I'm torn. On the one hand, he just won the Red River game big. On the other, he still got humiliated in noncon play, could lose several remaining games, and has been underacheiving for years. I'll be interested to see how it turns out.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend

Spiritus Nox posted:

No, if they pick up a couple more losses along the way (they almost certainly will), I think he's still sunk.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

buddhanc
Feb 16, 2010

Dodds is leaving. That means Mack is almost assuredly leaving unless he pulls out every game on the schedule and Texas goes to a BCS bowl, which is very unlikely. The new AD (Oliver Luck), and Bill Powers will team up with the big money donors to make someone a very rich man

• Locked thread