Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BIZORT
Jan 24, 2003

After playing a few games it seems like the gameplay is a lot more fluid than last year's version. The players move more naturally. There are more unforced turnovers, which I like. Usually you end up playing entire games and your opponent ends up with like 5 turnovers or something really low like that while your MyPlayer has 7 all by himself

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inside Outside
Jul 31, 2005

BIZORT posted:

After playing a few games it seems like the gameplay is a lot more fluid than last year's version. The players move more naturally. There are more unforced turnovers, which I like. Usually you end up playing entire games and your opponent ends up with like 5 turnovers or something really low like that while your MyPlayer has 7 all by himself

The next gen version has a lot more natural looking turnovers and blocks too, it makes it really nice. The thing that I really love is that both me and the AI get to the line a realistic amount without having to mess with the sliders at all. I've probably seen more charges drawn in 2k14 than in all previous versions combined.

jabro
Mar 25, 2003

July Mock Draft 2014

1st PLACE
RUNNER-UP
got the knowshon

ElwoodCuse posted:

I got 2k14 from Gamefly for PS4 because why not. I haven't owned a hoops game since NBA Live 95 (XBL NBA Jam doesn't count). Will I be able to dumb this down enough to have fun at the start?

Also interested in suggestions for teams to play as. I like dunks and 3s and have no particular rooting interest.

Clippers with Griffin and Paul.

Inside Outside
Jul 31, 2005

It turns out that MyGM may not be such a cash grab after all. It's still dumb that you have to use VC to unlock basic features, but they remain unlocked whenever you start a new franchise.

Kim Jaym Il
Dec 14, 2010

what? i
don't
have
fucking
ears

Is it possible to create players/teams in the ps4 version? I cannot for the life of me find out how to do it, and I'd be disappointed if they removed that feature because it's probably one of my favorite features and honestly a staple of sports games for years now.

joshtothemaxx
Nov 17, 2008

I will have a whole army of zombies! A zombie Marine Corps, a zombie Navy Corps, zombie Space Cadets...
Anyone have any advice for playing my created player's career? When on offense the team never moves, never calls plays, nothing. The offense won't do poo poo unless I get my dude to set screens.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

joshtothemaxx posted:

Anyone have any advice for playing my created player's career? When on offense the team never moves, never calls plays, nothing. The offense won't do poo poo unless I get my dude to set screens.

I'm not infront of the Game but set CPU call plays and Playvision to full, in the Settings.

I think it's Settings/Presentation for Playvision. and Game Mode Settings for CPU Call plays.

joshtothemaxx
Nov 17, 2008

I will have a whole army of zombies! A zombie Marine Corps, a zombie Navy Corps, zombie Space Cadets...

Dexo posted:

I'm not infront of the Game but set CPU call plays and Playvision to full, in the Settings.

I think it's Settings/Presentation for Playvision. and Game Mode Settings for CPU Call plays.

Thanks! Will try this when I get home.

beejay
Apr 7, 2002

I'm not sure if there's a thread for NBA Live specifically or not, but I caught some people streaming this last night. Holy poo poo... awful. Graphics are terrible, animations are terrible, commentary would have been terrible on a ps2-era game. They are charging full price. drat.

Traxis
Jul 2, 2006

I hate what they did to My Player. It wouldn't be so bad if you could skip these stupid cutscenes but nope. Then I have to go through multiple loading screens so I can sit on the bench and not even play in the game. Great job 2K.

Gameplay wise this is the best in the series but feature wise it has been regressing since 2k12.

Also, whoever designed the menus in this game needs to be shot.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming

That's a pretty good Charlie Villaneuva on the left.

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010

Dexo posted:

Also is it only point guards who make plays? I am a SG and I can't call any plays but I do see blue solid lines and dotted lines show up telling me where go occasionally. I assume the blue solid lines are for me to do?

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!

I dunno, I'm kind of digging grumpy LeBron.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

tonic316 posted:

Also is it only point guards who make plays? I am a SG and I can't call any plays but I do see blue solid lines and dotted lines show up telling me where go occasionally. I assume the blue solid lines are for me to do?

Blue Dotted Lines means pass to location, Blue Solid Lines = you move to the location

BIZORT
Jan 24, 2003

Why do they bother? Just scrap that whole game. They're so far behind 2k in every area

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010

Traxis posted:

I hate what they did to My Player. It wouldn't be so bad if you could skip these stupid cutscenes but nope. Then I have to go through multiple loading screens so I can sit on the bench and not even play in the game. Great job 2K.

Gameplay wise this is the best in the series but feature wise it has been regressing since 2k12.

Also, whoever designed the menus in this game needs to be shot.

Have to agree on this. Half my loving game is loading screens and stupid cut scenes I can't skip. Makes me want to install an SSD in this thing.

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!

BIZORT posted:

Why do they bother? Just scrap that whole game. They're so far behind 2k in every area

lovely, bad competition is better than no competition at least. 2K could really use a kick in the rear end to actually update some of their modes. MyPlayer is still a huge chore to play with the same dumb interactions and unskippable cutscenes. I mean, you still have to loving sit there and listen to Robot Stern read out every. single. pick. before yours. Who thought that'd be a sweet, immersive experience on your 5th time starting that mode?

I think all anyone can realistically expect at this point is that EA keeps at it and eventually is at least putting out games that are doing well enough to keep some tiny bit of pressure on 2K.

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010
I was reading the hall of fame requirements for myplayer. Do people actually make it into the hall of fame? That would require a ton of playing. Are you able to sim your character at all?

the_american_dream
Apr 12, 2008

GAHDAMN
I think just key games. Which depending on your team and player could put you at around just 15 games per season

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
Has anyone who's streamed Live commented on things like season mode?

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010

the_american_dream posted:

I think just key games. Which depending on your team and player could put you at around just 15 games per season

You can only sim key games? Or you only play 15 games total? Because I've played like 8 games so far. Not a starter but I do come off the bench and get about 20-25 minutes per game.

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!
Your only options in MyPlayer mode are 'Play next game' and 'Play next key game'. The Key Games are defined dynamically though, so sometimes you'll play like 4 games in a row (usually if it's the beginning of the season and you just happen to be playing some division leader who's like 2-0) and sometimes it'll skip a month and a half.

Like most things in MyPlayer, it's kind of an annoyance and could be significantly better if 2K just stole that feature from a better sports game (in this case FIFA). See also: the terrible post-game interview system and how much worse it is than NHL 14's.

MagicCube
May 25, 2004

From my limited experience so far with MyCareer on the PS4 is there is currently no option to play next key game. Only continue while you're driving/flying to the arena which takes you right into the game. Overall though, I'm enjoying the next-gen version. The gameplay is definitely improved and there are some subtle things in gameplay that are better than the PS3 version. The game is ridiculously beautiful, there is also a lot more commentary, and there are some neat things at half at the end of the game with real player voices. The bump up to 7 signature skills and personality badges is also a cool improvement.

But the unskippable cutscenes are pretty brutal. I'd say so far that's my only major gripe with the next-gen version, although I have run into a minor bug with the camera in MyCareer not saving and having to change it at the beginning of every game.

I'd say that this next-gen version of NBA 2k14 is one of (if not) the best sports game ever made.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Does Chris Bosh still have no skills

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012
How many people here would say 2k14 is GOAT in basketball games?

Traxis
Jul 2, 2006

Metapod posted:

How many people here would say 2k14 is GOAT in basketball games?

I still like 2k12 the best, mostly for the classic games and create a legend. 2k14 plays the best though.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

2k14 overall plays better I guess, but the lack of features as current on the PC/current gen is a huge negative.

BIZORT
Jan 24, 2003

I still think 2k12 is the best basketball game I've played, too. The game modes went a long way but I thought the music was pretty good, too. There was the occasional song I didn't like but I think the majority of the soundtrack was artists I'd never heard of so the songs grew on me as time went on. Now it's bad radio music that I already know I don't like and then have to put up with. That Drake song on 2k14 is so loving awful

Chris de Sperg
Aug 14, 2009

The only thing that irks me about 2K12 is it's hard going back to the old dribbling controls

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010

MagicCube posted:

From my limited experience so far with MyCareer on the PS4 is there is currently no option to play next key game. Only continue while you're driving/flying to the arena which takes you right into the game. Overall though, I'm enjoying the next-gen version. The gameplay is definitely improved and there are some subtle things in gameplay that are better than the PS3 version. The game is ridiculously beautiful, there is also a lot more commentary, and there are some neat things at half at the end of the game with real player voices. The bump up to 7 signature skills and personality badges is also a cool improvement.

But the unskippable cutscenes are pretty brutal. I'd say so far that's my only major gripe with the next-gen version, although I have run into a minor bug with the camera in MyCareer not saving and having to change it at the beginning of every game.

I'd say that this next-gen version of NBA 2k14 is one of (if not) the best sports game ever made.

This!!! I was playing against the Mavericks and they started to talk about how the Mavericks took entries from fans for possible future designs of the jerseys. They stopped half way through talking about it to comment on my fast break score and then picked up where they left off afterwords. I thought that was pretty awesome. It felt just like real life.

thompson
Jun 6, 2006
I sure do love Association Mode. I love being able to pop on a game at any time and just play and enjoy it.

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010
I am curious as to what the announcers talk about after your first season? Like do they have material for years 3,4 and beyond?

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

tonic316 posted:

I am curious as to what the announcers talk about after your first season? Like do they have material for years 3,4 and beyond?

They just don't talk as much and that goes for association as well.

Rod Munch
Jul 17, 2001

Kevin Love knows how to arrive for a post-game interview:

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010
Is there a guide or something somewhere that tells me what the icons mean that are on the player I am controlling? Like the heat symbol I assume means I am on fire but does that boost my stats?

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012

Rod Munch posted:

Kevin Love knows how to arrive for a post-game interview:

its all about footwork

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

The cutscenes for the next-gen version myplayer mode are very...interesting. I saw one option that has a teammate give you a choice to wear a clown nose for the game-after interview.

RBX
Jan 2, 2011

Is there a way to take players off injury? I want to use Danny Granger and its annoying that I can't just because he's hurt in real life.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BIZORT
Jan 24, 2003

You don't enjoy a feature of the game that doesn't add but takes away your ability to play the game?

• Locked thread