Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

Chill la Chill posted:

An LGS is going to be having a win a box tournament on Sunday. Khans block only. it's to drive early sales of products and but lol last time it was won with MBD consisting of mostly uncommons and a couple Nykthos.

Anyone have any suggestions on what I could bring? Assume I've gone to enough prereleases to have access to any common/uncommon but no planes walkers. I don't think anyone will be rolling in with a junk midrange deck featuring all 4 sorins but you never know. It's usually just what people were able to grab from prerelease and FNM tomorrow.

I was able to get a playset of utter ends and a couple siege big dudes so I'm thinking junk midrange with the morph life linker.

Yeah, just run the Outlast Lords deck the guy above is talking about. See if you can find some Abzan Ascendancy to get field wide counters too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TerraGoetia
Feb 21, 2011

A cup of spiders.

Dungeon Ecology posted:

Deck advice in spades.

Hey, thanks so much for this! I have some of the cards to make these substitutions, others I can pick up if the price is reasonable off Ebay or trades. I really appreciate the help. I'll redo the list in a few days as cards come in the mail and I make decisions about what to replace with what.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
So here's what I've been messing with as far as a Mardu Ascendancy / Rabblemaster / Butcher of the Horde deck goes:

Deck: Butcher Ascendancy

//Lands
3 Battlefield Forge
4 Bloodstained Mire
3 Caves of Koilos
4 Mana Confluence
2 Mountain
2 Nomad Outpost
4 Swamp
1 Urborg, Tomb of Yawgmoth

//Spells
3 Crackling Doom
3 Lightning Strike
3 Magma Jet
4 Mardu Ascendancy
3 Mardu Charm

//Creatures
4 Bloodsoaked Champion
4 Butcher of the Horde
4 Gnarled Scarhide
4 Goblin Rabblemaster
3 Mogis's Marauder
2 Tormented Hero

//Sideboard
3 Crippling Blight
2 Coordinated Assault
3 Mogis, God of Slaughter
1 Crackling Doom
4 Chief of the Edge
2 Arc Lightning

Display deck statistics

Am I wrong in thinking a lot of people will be trying this sort of thing?

I think Mogis's Marauder might actually be good for this sort of deck. It Hits all your black 1-drops plus it can make Rabblemaster unblockable. It's easy to swing for 6+ out of nowhere on a stalled board with it.

Mana base I'm unsure of, I'm not used to building for three colors on a very aggressive curve. Ideally you want B on turn one, BR on turn 2 and BRW on turn 3. I'm not sure what the best mix for hitting that is, but I know it involves 4x Mana Confluence. I really like magma jet on turn 2 to clear the way for your 1-drop and set up your draws to hopefully help cast Ascendancy or Rabblemaster on turn 3. I might move up to 4 Magma Jet.

Sideboard is pretty random at this point. I think Mogis himself could be a good sideboard card vs creature-light control decks, and Crippling Blight could be good against decks trying to ramp out big dumb creatures. Arc Lightning would be for the mirror.

What does this fold to? is there an Anger of the Gods deck?

neosloth
Sep 5, 2013

Professional Procrastinator
I already posted this deck before, but I recently cleaned it up a bit adding an alternative wincon (Hour Of Need) and removing some redundant spells. I am also planning to exchange the Omenspeakers for Battlefield Thaumaturges (Because come on, casting Hour Of Need twice for 3 is just pure value).
It's not a deck that's gonna win any tournaments but stealing polukranoses and beating your opponent to death with them makes those wins you get worth it.

The idea here is playing Daring Thief as soon as possible and keeping him tapped via attacking or Springleaf Drums. As soon as opponent plays the threat you just exchange it for a random junk 1/1 and bounce it back so your opponent has an empty field. If that doesn't work you just cast Hour Of Need and smash face

Deck: Stop Hitting Yourself

Junk for exchange/Sphinxiphying
4 Hypnotic Siren
4 Triton Shorecaller
3 Omenspeaker

The stars of the deck
4 Daring Thief
4 Springleaf Drum
4 Hour of Need

Protection
4 Retraction Helix
4 Voyage's End
4 Negate
4 Triton Tactics

Lands

21 Island

Display deck statistics

I am thinking about adding Artisan Of Forms for flavor reasons but I just can't justify a 2 CMC 1/1 when I could just play an omenspeaker instead and get a ton more value out of him

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

Entropic posted:

Mana base I'm unsure of, I'm not used to building for three colors on a very aggressive curve. Ideally you want B on turn one, BR on turn 2 and BRW on turn 3. I'm not sure what the best mix for hitting that is, but I know it involves 4x Mana Confluence. I really like magma jet on turn 2 to clear the way for your 1-drop and set up your draws to hopefully help cast Ascendancy or Rabblemaster on turn 3. I might move up to 4 Magma Jet.

14 black sources, 13 red, 12 white is your target, which is pretty achievable. CD and CDE mana costs are a lot easier to manage than CC or CCC ones.

4 mana confluence, 4 battlefield forge, 4 caves of koilos, 4 bloodstained mire, 2 swamp, 1 mountain does it in only 19 lands, for example. I'd probably recommend cutting down to three mana confluence and adding an extra one of each basic, just to stem the bleeding a little and ensure you have enough basics to fetch.

Soothing Cacophony
Sep 29, 2009
OK this is the funnest deck I've played in a while. gently caress blue, control doesn't need it.

Deck: Mardu Control

//Spells
4 End Hostilities
3 Mardu Charm
3 Banishing Light
4 Crackling Doom
4 Hero's Downfall
4 Thoughtseize
2 Utter End
3 Read the Bones

//Planeswalkers
2 Elspeth, Sun's Champion
3 Chandra, Pyromaster

//Creatures
2 Nyx-Fleece Ram

//Land
4 Temple of Malice
4 Temple of Silence
4 Temple of Triumph
4 Nomad Outpost
1 Swamp
1 Mountain
2 Plains
2 Caves of Koilos
4 Battlefield Forge

//Sideboard
3 Anger of the Gods
2 Nyx-Fleece Ram
4 Stormbreath Dragon
2 Erase
1 Zurgo Helmsmasher
2 Suspension Field
1 Murderous Cut

Display deck statistics

Chandra is surprisingly rad for card draw, and the multitude of answers (especially Crackling Doom for being completely baller for when you absolutely need to kill their strongest creature) works well. A couple Nyx-Fleece mainboarded cause the life tax on taking hits early + Read the Bones + painlands can be scary.

The only thing I'm worried about is game 1 vs blue-based Control is gonna be almost impossible. Game 2 my plan is to side out Cracklings for Stormbreaths and something else for Zurgo and just get there, I haven't had much of a chance to test against blue-based control yet. I've also been toying with reworking the mana base for Chained to the Rocks, but I'm not sure its worth the loss of consistency since the removal suite is pretty great already.

YeehawMcKickass
Jan 2, 2003

WE WELCOME THE OPPRESSORS
I'll be starting to work on the new thread tonight after FNM. Hopefully I can have it up and running tonight, if not it'll be later this weekend.

It may involve a Table Flip.

Hell, a preview (plus gets this out of the way for later):

Your forseeable manabase for Theros/Kahns Standard

Basic Lands: Plains, Island, Swamp, Mountian, Forest.

Temples: Duals that enter the field tapped, upon entry, you get to Scry 1 (look at the top card of your library and choose to keep it there or put it on the bottom of your library). Fairly cheap lands price wise, and the scry effect is incredibly handy for the cost of entering the battlefield tapped.

Fetchlands: A known quantity in older formats, these lands border with the Alpha duals in terms of best lands ever. One of these in hand is one land of the two types in hand, as needed. In older formats, they're used for shuffling your deck, filling your graveyard, or Landfall triggers. In the current standard they primarily serve the graveyard filling role to enable delve. And they're pretty good mana fixing, don't forget that. There is a deck thinning component with these, but it's statistically insignificant. If you post that you're running these for deck thinning only, I'm going to mock you relentlessly.

Functional Refuge reprints: The full cycle of 10 enemy and ally duals in Kahns. They enter the battlefiled tapped and gain you a life. THESE ARE YOUR BUDGET GO-TO DUALS. They're common and in plentiful supply.

Clan Tri-Lands: The wedge versions of the Shards of Alara tri lands. They enter the battlefield tapped and produce one mana of any of three colors. Being uncommon, they shouldn't be hard to get a hold of.

Painlands: Rare lands that enter the battlefield untapped and can be tapped for colorless, or one of two colors of mana from an enemy pair at the cost of 1 Damage. These and the M10 checklands tend to be the standard baseline for dual lands, though R&D tends to prefer the checks because of new players.

Mana Confluence: A functional reprint of city of brass that gets you one mana of any color at the cost of Paying 1 life.

Urborg, Tomb of Yawgmoth: This card has some weird deckbuilding restrictions, due to it's legendary supertype. If you're playing black, you want to include this automatically. The trick is you probably don't want more than two in your deck, because multiples of this are pretty awful. It's worth noting that this is NOT a swamp anywhere but when it's on the battlefield. You can't search for it with a Fetch or Evolving Wilds.

Nykthos, Shrine to Nyx: Playing a monocolor deck that gets a bunch of permanents out? Want a ton of mana? You want this card.

Evolving Wilds: Significantly inferior to the fetches, as whatever basic they search out comes in tapped despite being able to grab any basic. Still fills the graveyard, and is an ok budget option.

Darksteel Citadel: An indestructable land that produces colorless. Primarly in standard to enable certian decks in M15 limited.

Radiant Fountian: Want some life? Here you go. The Refuge reprints are better, but if you really want two life, this is where you go.

Sliver Hive: Added to M15 along with the slivers to give the slivers decks a good oomph for the Super Standard we just came out of. There's practically no reason to run this card in a standard deck, but incredibly useful for kitchen table or EDH fun.

Tomb of the Spirit Dragon: Primarily a limited card, Auto-include in the all morph/colorless deck, but not likely to be useful in standard.

Unknown Shores: Primiraly a limited card. If you really need to fix your mana, this can do it but at the cost of tapping two lands to get you the color you want.

YeehawMcKickass fucked around with this message at 21:35 on Sep 26, 2014

Shovelmint
Apr 22, 2004
Lipstick Apathy
Playtested my 16 land mono-red deck today against a much wider field in between rounds at the draft. Crushed everything I went up against, but I didn't encounter any circles of flame, which I think is that deck's biggest problem. I'm going to run a pair of hall of triumphs in the sideboard along with an additional mountain just in case that is a thing. 4 magma sprays, 4 rouse the mob, 2 flamespeakers will, and 2 circle of flame for the rest of it. Probably still needs some tweaking, but it is definitely the real deal. If you happen to run this list at SCG Indy or something tomorrow, good luck, I think it's got a decent chance since its so much faster than any other red deck and can get in kills where rabble and monoblack aggro are still setting up, and can punish slower strategies, I call it "Your Cards Cost Too Much" or "Sub-Sligh" if you prefer brevity. White weenie may be able to do okay against it, but I don't expect to see too much of that. Unfortunately I can't play at Indy myself, since my wife would probably leave me if I spent a second consecutive weekend devoted to magic as opposed to the family. This deck has me excited, makes the old hellrider mono-red I played look positively glacial.

sit on my Facebook
Jun 20, 2007

ASS GAS OR GRASS
No One Rides for FREE
In the Trumplord Holy Land
Played that deck tonight also, to pretty stellar result. 4-0 in rounds, lost one game total to getting stuck on one land for a few turns, then my opponent had 3 Courser of Kruphix. Got to top 4 and split due to time. The deck is sick. People were poo poo-talking Monastery Swiftspear until they saw it work.

Deofuta
Jul 7, 2013

The Corps is Mother
The Corps is Father
After having both a good time and a successful series of FNMs using boros burn, I have decided to try my hand at brewing some Jeskai Burn goodness. Swiftspear is the premier turn one play, and the increase in painlands over ETB tap lands is to make it happen. Mantis Rider is proving wonderful in testing, an efficient lightning strike on a stick that more often than not hits for at least 3, and perfectly suited to take out enemy planeswalkers who may not be prepared for a hasted flying creature who can block in a pinch. Chandra is used as a nice mid range option, sometimes allowing for your charged up swiftspear to make it through coursers (planeswalkers trigger prowess, neat eh?), as well as improving card draw. Speaking of, I really, really want to try and fit treasure cruise or dig through time into this deck, but it will take some play to see how and where. Arc lightning is so versatile and cool in a format with lots of less than 3 toughness creatures, pinging brain maggots/rabblemasters/goblin tokens/firedrinker satyrs always feels like super valuetown, especially if your getting a prowess trigger off of it. I like it, it seems to perform well agaisnt my local players who enjoy competitive play, and I look forward to refining it over the next couple weeks.

//Lands
4 Battlefield Forge
2 Island
2 Mountain
4 Mystic Monastery
2 Plains
4 Shivan Reef
2 Temple of Epiphany
2 Temple of Triumph

//Spells
4 Arc Lightning
2 Banishing Light
2 Chandra, Pyromaster
4 Jeskai Charm
4 Lightning Strike
4 Magma Jet
2 Sarkhan, the Dragonspeaker
4 Stoke the Flames
2 Suspension Field

//Creatures
4 Mantis Rider
4 Monastery Swiftspear
2 Narset, Enlightened Master

//Sideboard
SB: 3 Anger of the Gods
SB: 2 Negate
SB: 3 Disdainful Stroke
SB: 2 Banishing Light
SB: 3 Magma Spray
SB: 2 Treasure Cruise

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
I'd probably mention how fetchland shuffling interacts with scrying/courser, and also that the fetches and painlands are allied and enemy cycles respectively instead of complete cycles like the temples and refuges.

Also I personally think fetches are pretty weak as far as fixing (at least in standard) - you'll play them because they're untapped fixing, but unless you're getting shuffle or delve value from them they're definitively worse compared with the just-rotated-out shocklands.

Shovelmint
Apr 22, 2004
Lipstick Apathy
This is my current list, for those who are curious.

"Your Cards Cost Too Much" or "Sub-Sligh"
4 Monastery Swiftspear
4 Firedrinker Satyr
4 Satyr Hoplite
4 Akroan Crusader
4 Foundry Street Denizen

4 Hammerhand
4 Titan Strength
4 Dragon Mantle
4 Coordinated Assault

4 Searing Blood
4 Lightning Strike

16 Mountain (8 red fetches, and 8 mountains if you're sassy, may not be right)

Sideboard:
4 Rouse the Mob
4 Magma Spray
2 Flamespeaker's Will
2 Hall of Triumph
2 Circle of Flame
1 Mountain

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
Would Rabblemaster be too slow? I have three I picked up for Modern but it'd be cool to use them in Standard too. The deck in general is really appealing to me because 1. I don't play enough Standard to warrant keeping up with it monetarily but I want to have a Standard list to play, and 2. I like to troll the people that do, so I'm working on a similar list right now. But don't mono-red strategies do better at the beginning of a Standard cycle, then fall off as people figure out the format?

Shovelmint
Apr 22, 2004
Lipstick Apathy
Rabblemaster is a solid card, and Rabble red is very good. That said, I think the version without it is better because if you want to kill people with your 3-drops, they have time to find answers and play the mana to use them. If you kill them quicker, they can't do anything.

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

Just a little bit of sunshine!

Shovelmint posted:

Playtested my 16 land mono-red deck today against a much wider field in between rounds at the draft. Crushed everything I went up against, but I didn't encounter any circles of flame, which I think is that deck's biggest problem. I'm going to run a pair of hall of triumphs in the sideboard along with an additional mountain just in case that is a thing. 4 magma sprays, 4 rouse the mob, 2 flamespeakers will, and 2 circle of flame for the rest of it. Probably still needs some tweaking, but it is definitely the real deal. If you happen to run this list at SCG Indy or something tomorrow, good luck, I think it's got a decent chance since its so much faster than any other red deck and can get in kills where rabble and monoblack aggro are still setting up, and can punish slower strategies, I call it "Your Cards Cost Too Much" or "Sub-Sligh" if you prefer brevity. White weenie may be able to do okay against it, but I don't expect to see too much of that. Unfortunately I can't play at Indy myself, since my wife would probably leave me if I spent a second consecutive weekend devoted to magic as opposed to the family. This deck has me excited, makes the old hellrider mono-red I played look positively glacial.

That's awesome. The only competitive Magic I've ever really done has been limited, but this deck just might change that for me.

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx
Just to add to the Rabble Red/Sligh hype, I went 4-1 with it tonight at my local store's FNM. This was awesome personally because I haven't gone 4-1 with any deck there since my opponent left before the final round (effectively giving me a bye during the final match) with MURDERGOATS.dec back in...February? Even Rock Stars could only manage 2 losses at best, including a run of 4 or 5 matches with Mono-U over the course of a few weeks where I just. Couldn't. Win.

But tonight? I pretty much ran over my opponents while they were using Scrylands and waiting for the midgame to show up. My favorite matches were my sole loss against a Mardu control deck that ran :siren:Zurgo Helmsmasher:psyduck:, of all things. However, it made a lot of sense considering the deck was running stuff like End Hostilities, Anger of the Gods, and Elspeth. This allowed him to drop Zurgo and swing, and without any removal he could follow up with a board wipe and go nuts. The pilot admitted that he couldn't find a copy of Sarkhan beforehand but using Zurgo was interesting and something he wanted to try again.

The other match was my final match against a younger player (around high school senior/college freshman age) who was pretty chill and was using a funky Sultai Mill deck. He had managed to completely mill out his opponent in three games, and he was my final match for the night with both of us at 3-1. It was effectively a version of the UB Mill deck he had been piloting for a long time, but splashed green for Prophet of Kruphix and some other card (I think Villainous Wealth) but used a combination of that and Phenax for constant mill, or used a huge Nighthowler to either swing with or add to the mill plan.

Ultimately I was able to push damage through despite all the removal he ran, but it was interesting to look over and hear him talk about it.

All in all, a good night of Magic. :3: I even got to ask Tom Ross his opinion on Valley Dasher in Rabble and he bluntly replied that it sucked. :lol:

Shovelmint posted:

4 Monastery Swiftspear
4 Firedrinker Satyr
4 Satyr Hoplite
4 Akroan Crusader
4 Foundry Street Denizen

4 Hammerhand
4 Titan Strength
4 Dragon Mantle
4 Coordinated Assault

4 Searing Blood
4 Lightning Strike

Sideboard:
4 Rouse the Mob
4 Magma Spray
2 Flamespeaker's Will
2 Hall of Triumph
2 Circle of Flame
1 Mountain

I really like this and will put it together if only because it will effectively nothing.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Swiftspear Sligh looks amazing, I am seriously considering building multiple copies of the deck to share with my friends who can't afford to keep up with Standard. How likely is it to achieve a turn 3 kill? As far as I can figure, if you have 2 Swiftspears in your opening hand and the right noncreature spells you can do it, and 3 Monastery Swiftspears have a real chance of pulling it off.

Syphilis Fish
Apr 27, 2006
I've been brewing around with the following Tymareth / Bloodsoaked champion deck.

The deck is monoblack aggro, with a splash of red for Tymaret and swiftspear. Tymaret gives me reach and the ability to just sling bloodsoaked champs at his face. It also recycles itself really, really well with the bloodsoaked. And Grim Haruspex + Tymaret + Bloodsoaked is just bonkers.

The swiftspear lets me reactivate my board after a wipe from me (or from them). In the matchup, drown in sorrows is great, it ruins their day since rarely they hold back and with no creature to go, they have a hard time reactivating their bloodsoaked. Swiftspear lets me do that for 1 mana. If need be, also a body to throw at the opp, and to draw cards with grim haruspex.

I played this tonight and it went alright, not as well as it did on Cockatrice. I know I have several improvements to make:
Notably I want stoke the flames so I can blast through coursers or do the final damage to nyx fleece ram or kill Anafeza. All three of those cards are big issues to my list. I can also use it to deal 4 without spending mana, so I can still fling my dudes to his face as well.

I'm looking for any weaknesses that you guys spot, or (additional) changes I should try.

Creatures (25)
4 x bloodsoaked champion
3 x tymaret the murder king
4 x mardu skullhunter
4 x Monastary swiftspear
4 x pain seer
2 x Grim haruspex
4 x ruthless Ripper

Instants/sorceries (15)
4 x Heroes downfall
4 x Thoughtseize
4 x Drown in Sorrows
3 x bile blight

Lands (20)
2 x bloodstained mire
3 x mountains
4 x temple of malice
11 x swamp

SB:
1 x tymaret
1 x bile blight
4 x despise
4 x dark betrayal
4 x magma jet
1 x swamp

Mezzanon
Sep 16, 2003

Pillbug
Did FNM standard today. Made myself a deck in about 20 minutes, and the sideboard in even less time. It turns out I like to play G/B Midrange decks, AKA The Rock. So here's my list for it, and I would love constructed criticism and suggestions

Creatures:

4x Rakshasa Deathdealer
4x Sylvan Caryatid

3x Boon Satyr
3x Nighthowler
3x Herald of Torment
4x Courser of Kruphix

4x Reaper of the Wilds
3x polukranos, World Eater

// 28 Total

Spells:

2x Bile Blight
3x Hero's Downfall
1x Whip of Erebos
2x Murderous Cut
1x Garruk, Apex Predator

// 9 Total

Land:

4x Temple of Malady
4x Llanowar Wastes
2x Mana Confluence
1x Urborg, Tomb of Yawgmoth
1x Nykthos, Shrine to Nyx
5x Swamp
6x Forest

// 23 Total

60 cards

Sideboard:

4x Despise
3x Thoughtseize
3x Drown in Sorrow
1x Bile Blight
1x Hero's Downfall
1x Murderous Cut
1x Polukranos, World Eater
1x Garruk, Apex Predator

// 15 Total

So the deck basically just tries to throw down must-answer threats with a backup of removal for days, and hand disruption from the side. (Although I should probably move disruption to the Main deck instead of all of it being in the side) I had a couple issues with being stuck on land, which was super confusing I think 23 land should be enough for this deck, especially with 4 Caryatid, although maybe I should run some mystics or go up to 24 land?

I Want everybody to know right now, that Rakshasa Deathdealer is the real deal. He easily punched above his weight no matter what stage of the game we were in. Drop him on T2? He can attack and block for days with pump and regeneration. He's the only two-drop I've been just stoked to draw and play on turn 15 of a game (Which might elevate him to slightly above Lotleth Troll) because you can just sink mana into him. Rakshasa Deathdealer gets my seal of approval, he's a real workhorse of a card.

Here's how my matches went:

R1 vs Simic Hydra Win 2-0

G1: I win the Die roll and go T2 Caryatid, T3 Reaper of the Wilds, T4 Bestow Herald of Torment on Reaper, rapidly close out game.

G2: My opponent goes T1 Elvish Mystic, T2 Caryatid, T3 Prophet of Kruphix, T3 (On my turn) Kruphix, and immediately starts pooling shiploads of mana. My board consists of a Courser with a Herald bestowed on it, and a Deathdealer Bestowed on it, and two caryatids. Opponent drops a Polukranos, and has 20 mana sitting in his never-ending mana-pool, but luckily opponent is at 9 life.

Turn passes, I move into combat opponent taps out for a green and twenty-six colourless mana to monstrous Polukranos for 13, choosing to deal 7 damage to my 5/7 and 6 damage to my 5/5,so I just pumped Deathdealer and continued to win game phase.

R2 vs WarriOrzhov: Lose 0-2

G1: I win the die roll, but get pretty efficiently and cleanly beaten down

G2: I keep a hand of Temple of Malady, Swamp, 2x Deathdealer, 1x Drown in Sorrow, 1x Murderous Cut, Reaper of the Wilds. I figured all I needed to draw was either a land or a caryatid and I can drown the entirety of my opponents board. Unfortunately I see neither land nor caryatid, and I just die.

R3 vs Bant splashing black(??) Win 2-1

G1: My opponent takes a risky keep and never draws the lands he needs, so I beat him very quickly, which sucks because now I have no idea what to sideboard.

G2: I stumble on land for two turns and my opponent uses that time to drop a prophet of Kruphix and a Prognostic Sphinx, and that allows him to draw hot for the rest of the game.

G3: We both Trade Polukranos's at each other, but I have a reaper of the wilds out so I get to scry every time something dies (which was incredibly helpful and insanely important, and helped me get to my gas) and I eventually run him over.

R4 vs Temur Midrange win 2-0

G1: I lose the die roll. He gets close to burning me out, but I get double courser out and slowly grind out a win against his Savage Knuckleblade

G2: It turns out T1 Despise, T2 Caryatid, T3 Reaper of the Wilds, T4 Reaper of the wilds, T5 Polukranos is very tough to deal with. Who knew?

And that's the first FNM of Khans release. I love release weekend, nobody has net decks, and errybody is playing whatever!

Like I said, any suggestions for additions/cuts/switch in between main and side/adjust #'s. I'd prefer not to splash white and to keep this a Straight up G/B deck!

AlternateNu posted:

Orzhov Warriors

4 Caves of Koilos
4 Mana Confluence
7 Plains
7 Swamp
4 Ajani's Presence
4 Bloodsoaked Champion
3 Herald of Anafenza
4 Tormented Hero
4 Chief of the Edge
4 Chief of the Scale
4 Oreskos Swiftclaw
2 Sightless Brawler
1 Athreos, God of Passage
3 Banishing Light
1 Spear of Heliod
3 Sorin, Solemn Visitor

Self-explanatory.

Beat you for 3 on 2, 6(or 8) on 3, Sorin for the win. :v:

I want you to know that this deck is legit. One of my teammates sleeved it up and brought it to FNM and top 4'd with it. Although we cut the 4x Chief of the Scale for 4x Mardu Skullhunter because we thought the discard was better than the increased toughness that chief of the scale offered. He also handed me my only loss for the day (although one game I was stuck on land)

Also I'm just happy to see Sightless Brawler getting play! Also we re-named the deck Warriorzhov

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Shovelmint posted:

Rabblemaster is a solid card, and Rabble red is very good. That said, I think the version without it is better because if you want to kill people with your 3-drops, they have time to find answers and play the mana to use them. If you kill them quicker, they can't do anything.

There is no way a monoR deck is worse with Rabblemaster even if it's the only 3 drop. The card wins the game by itself if not answered.

Rogue 7
Oct 13, 2012
Looking at a Jeskai Heroic/Prowess brew.

Creatures:
4x Monastery Swiftspear
4x Seeker of the Way
4x Favored Hoplite
2x Jeskai Elder
3x Anax and Cymede
3x Fabled Hero
3x Eidolon of Countless Battles

Spells:
3x Jeskai Ascendancy
4x Gods Willing
3x Feat of Resistance
2x Ajani's Presence/2x Ephemeral Shields
2x Launch the Fleet

Lands:
4x Battlefield Forge
4x Mystic Monastary
4x Shivan Reef
2x Temple of Enlightenment
3x Temple of Triumph
1x Temple of Epiphany
3x Plains
1x Mountain
1x Island

The lands are not ideal, but it's a bit cheaper.

Rogue 7 fucked around with this message at 18:56 on Sep 27, 2014

Shovelmint
Apr 22, 2004
Lipstick Apathy

AATREK CURES KIDS posted:

Swiftspear Sligh looks amazing, I am seriously considering building multiple copies of the deck to share with my friends who can't afford to keep up with Standard. How likely is it to achieve a turn 3 kill? As far as I can figure, if you have 2 Swiftspears in your opening hand and the right noncreature spells you can do it, and 3 Monastery Swiftspears have a real chance of pulling it off.
With 3 Swiftspears, you can put them to -5hp on turn 3. It's really likely with 2 swiftspears, one other creature, and 3 lands, there's tons of combinations that do it, even through blockers. With only 1 or 0 swiftspear and 2 lands, you're gonna have to swing on turn 4, and possibly burn them depending on what you've drawn. Luckily the vast majority of the combinations will have them in alpha or burn range on turn 4, and they should only have the capability to answer one of them by then.

quote:

There is no way a monoR deck is worse with Rabblemaster even if it's the only 3 drop. The card wins the game by itself if not answered.
But you give them time to draw answers by playing that card. I'd rather not play something on turn 3 that might win if they haven't drawn a single removal spell, when I could just have them in a situation where with basically no matter what they play, they're already dead because its too little too late. I could easily go up to 17 lands, and play rabblemaster as my only 3 drop. I have the cards. I would just cut dragon's mantle and a satyr hoplite. I would win a lot, but I would lose to the lower curve version the majority of the time, because rabblemaster is just a searing blood target that forces potential blockers to swing in.

sit on my Facebook
Jun 20, 2007

ASS GAS OR GRASS
No One Rides for FREE
I ended up with almost exactly your list but -2 Lightning Strike, -2 Searing Blood for 2 Rabblemaster and 2 Inferno Fist. I never saw the Rabble but there were several times I got slightly mana flooded where he would have been awesome, and Inferno Fist is a SERIOUSLY pro include. The versatility of it is fantastic.

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx

stinkles1112 posted:

I ended up with almost exactly your list but -2 Lightning Strike, -2 Searing Blood for 2 Rabblemaster and 2 Inferno Fist. I never saw the Rabble but there were several times I got slightly mana flooded where he would have been awesome, and Inferno Fist is a SERIOUSLY pro include. The versatility of it is fantastic.

IDK, I've actually been looking more and more at Coordinated Assault; the fact that it's an instant can give the deck some interesting combat trickery (not to mention gives you the ability to keep a Rabblemaster alive post-combat).

One card I actually forgot to mention last night was Blinding Flare; while the singleton represents the 7th card in my deck that can prevent a creature from blocking (the others being 2x Frenzied Goblin and 4x Hammerhand), I really like it as an early-game way to avoid Courser (or even trigger Heroic on Crusader), but late game is a great mana dump to get past any clutter that might've accumulated.

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

Just a little bit of sunshine!

mcmagic posted:

Play a few games with Subsligh and notice how many times you get to 20 damage before you get to 3 lands. Also consider that Rabblemaster does next to nothing the turn you bring him out.

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx

Carrasco posted:

Play a few games with Subsligh and notice how many times you get to 20 damage before you get to 3 lands. Also consider that Rabblemaster does next to nothing the turn you bring him out.

This isn't to dismiss the power of Rabblemaster, of course, just that even that is conceivably too slow for that type of Sligh.

SteelMentor
Oct 15, 2012

TOXIC
Gonna be running this Mardu Rabble deck for FNM starting next week. Any excuse to play my two favourite cards from the current standard (Rabblemaster, Butcher and War-Name Aspirant) is good by me.

Creatures: 21 total

4x Bloodsoaked Champion
4x Monastery Swiftspear
4x War-Name Aspirant
4x Goblin Rabblemaster
4x Butcher of the Horde
1x Zurgo Helmsmasher

Other Spells: 16 total

4x Crackling Doom
4x Murderous Cut
4x Mardu Charm
4x Thoughtseize

Planeswalkers: 2 total

2x Sarkhan, the Dragonspeaker

Lands: 24 total

4x Battlefield Forge
4x Temple of Malice
4x Nomad Outpost
6x Swamp
6x Mountain

//63 cards total

Sideboard:

4x Bile Blight
4x Lightning Strike
4x Hero's Downfall
1x Purphoros, God of the Forge
1x Erebos, God of the Dead
1x Atheros, God of Passage

Not completely sure on what I want to do with the manabase, do I move completely over to painlands or mix and match with the temples? I want to run Atheros in the mainboard but Purphoros plays so nicely with Rabblemaster based on using the pair in my Modern Goblins deck. I'm also not sure about the removal I have at hand, I had so much playing Mono-Black last Standard but the double black costs worry me playing a Tri-Colour deck.

Boco_T
Mar 12, 2003

la calaca tilica y flaca
A) Cut the deck to 60 cards, for sure. Your mana is already pretty bad.

B) Here's the page to help you calculate the manabase.

From what I see, your goal points are:
Double red turn 5 (Sarkhan): 16 red sources
Double black turn 2-4 (Bile Blight, Downfall in SB): 18-20 black
If you just wanted black turn 1 and dropped the double-black cards: 14 black
White turn 3 (Charm, Doom): 12 sources

24 lands seems fine to cast your spells, so go from there:

4 Mana Confluence
4 Caves of Koilos
4 Battlefield Forge
4 Bloodstained Mire
4 Mountain
4 Swamp

That's 12 white, 20 red, 20 black. Mana Confluence could be the Nomad Outpost if you don't mind slowing your deck down a bit. Since that'll still only leave you with 4 out of 24 lands being tapped, it might be okay.

Notable omission I see in the deck list is Stoke the Flames, especially with Rabblemaster and one-drops. Erase could also be good in the SB because it cleans out Courser for one mana, plus it'll hit Ascendancies, Gods, and God weapons.

sit on my Facebook
Jun 20, 2007

ASS GAS OR GRASS
No One Rides for FREE

bhsman posted:

IDK, I've actually been looking more and more at Coordinated Assault; the fact that it's an instant can give the deck some interesting combat trickery (not to mention gives you the ability to keep a Rabblemaster alive post-combat).

My version runs four Coordinated Assault and it is ABSURD. Best non-creature spell in the deck IMO. It causes so many blowout plays because of interactions with both Heroic and Prowess, I would play 8 if I could.

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

super-scientific, ultra-gay

Lipstick Apathy

Shovelmint posted:

4 Monastery Swiftspear
4 Firedrinker Satyr
4 Satyr Hoplite
4 Akroan Crusader
4 Foundry Street Denizen

4 Hammerhand
4 Titan Strength
4 Dragon Mantle
4 Coordinated Assault

4 Searing Blood
4 Lightning Strike

Sideboard:
4 Rouse the Mob
4 Magma Spray
2 Flamespeaker's Will
2 Hall of Triumph
2 Circle of Flame
1 Mountain

I am testing this list and man I love it. Can you share your sideboard strategy, here?

Shovelmint
Apr 22, 2004
Lipstick Apathy
I haven't played a ridiculous amount of sideboarded games, but Rouse the Mob is mostly for breaking through caryatids while still getting damage through, magma spray vs weenie decks that can block. Hall of triumph is just for getting past circle of flame. Mountain is so you can cast hall of triumph. Circle of Flame is for the mirror, or really anything superfast where you expect to face a lot of x/1s. Flamespeaker's Will hasn't really proved itself, but it's artifact hate that also adds a chunk of damage to the board. Some local kids play a fierce-ish ornithopter deck, and I thought that might be worth bringing in. Mostly I'd sub in for Dragon's Mantle, unless searing blood doesn't have targets.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!
So, I think I've basically finalized my first real deck for this standard:

B/W Warriors

4 Bloodsoaked Champion
3 Soldier of the Pantheon
4 Tormented Hero
4 Chief of the Edge
4 Chief of the Scale
4 Oreskos Swiftclaw
2 Sightless Brawler

4 Ajani's Presence
1 Athreos, God of Passage
3 Banishing Light
1 Spear of Heliod
1 Ajani Steadfast
2 Sorin, Solemn Visitor

4 Caves of Koilos
4 Mana Confluence
7 Plains
7 Swamp

It hits fast and hard and is surprisingly resilient to Drown in Sorrow since Chief of the Scale is a 2/3 and bumps half the deck up to x/3. Being able to ultimate Sorin the second turn he out if you can chain drop Ajani is ridiculous. The creature sizes are just a level of efficiency you would expect from a green deck, and being able to strive Ajani's Presence starting turn 4 can protect your board from any sweepers.
I'm still debating the Banishing Lights. It is great on the play just to maintain tempo if they drop a big dude like Siege Rhino. But it is also 3 mana, and I need to find out if I'm really worried about anything outside of big creatures. If I find I'm really just running it to take out walls my creatures don't want to trade with, I might swap it out for Suspension Field or maybe even Reprisal. (The one devotion it provides is definitely useful for turning Athreos on in corner cases.)

Here is a basic idea of what I'm looking at for a sideboard:

3 Dark Betrayal
3 Thoughtseize
3 Mogis's Marauder
1 Erase
2 Suspension Field (or Banishing Light)
2 Oppressive Rays
1 Ajani Steadfast

Dark Betrayal is for Mono-B aggro decks, Abzan decks that lean too heavily on Siege Rhino, and Mardu decks that lean too heavily on Butcher of the Horde. Thoughtseize for the Jeskai tempo or control decks. Mogis's Marauder is for any mid-range deck that does not have a large black or white presence (i.e., G/x devotion). Oppressive Rays helps slow down (Sub)Sligh decks who think they can damage race me. Same with the extra Ajani just because he lets me lifelink while keeping a blocker back.

I was also thinking about Grim Haruspex just for the card advantage it would inevitably provide. It may eventually replace Athreos and one of the walkers, but I wanted to give the god a try since I really like knowing what cards I'm getting back in my hand.

Comments?

AlternateNu fucked around with this message at 03:21 on Sep 28, 2014

Dungeon Ecology
Feb 9, 2011

Alright, I know we're about to get a new Brewhaus thread, but I'm going to ask for some opinions on this Sultai build.
Consider the mana base a work-in-progress.
What should I add/cut? What should the sideboard look like?

Sultai Delve:

Creatures:
3x Elvish Mystic
2x Necropolis Fiend
2x Nemesis of Mortals
2x Nyx Weaver
2x Prognostic Sphinx
2x Reaper of the Wilds
3x Satyr Wayfinder
3x Sidisi, Brood Tyrant
4x Sylvan Caryatid

Sorcery:
2x Commune with the Gods
1x Endless Obedience
1x Treasure Cruise

Instant:
1x Hero's Downfall
4x Murderous Cut

Artifact:
2x Whip of Erebos
2x Bow of Nylea

Planeswalker:
1x Garruk, Apex Predator

Land:
8x Forest
6x Swamp
3x Island
1x Dismal Backwater
1x Thornwood Falls
2x Jungle Hollows
2x Temple of Malady

Thanks for the help!

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Here's the list of Murder Kings I'm currently playing (no Thoughtseize or Bloodstained Mire for financial reasons, based on bhsman's build):

24 Lands
4x Nomad Outpost
2x Temple of Silence
2x Temple of Triumph
2x Urborg, Tomb of Yawgmoth
4x Plains
4x Swamp
4x Mountain

12 Creatures
2x Tymaret, the Murder King
2x Nyx-Fleece Ram
2x Brimaz, King of Oreskos
4x Goblin Rabblemaster
2x Akroan Horse

24 Spells
3x Purphoros God of the Forge
2x Tormenting Voice
4x Banishing Light
2x Hero's Downfall
2x Mardu Charm
1x Empty the Pits
2x Utter End
2x Murderous Cut
2x Ajani Steadfast
1x Chandra, Pyromaster
1x Sorin, Solemn Visitor
2x Elspeth, Sun's Champion

Sideboard
3x Despise
4x Anger of the Gods
2x Utter End
2x Nyx-Fleece Ram
2x Tormenting Voice
2x Hero's Downfall

Questions:

Do I have enough black sources to support Hero's Demise and Empty the Pits? Of course Urborg is very helpful with getting me all the Swamps I want.
Should I be playing Liliana Vess and/or Sarkhan Dragonspeaker in this deck? Liliana gets tons of value and finds whatever I need to end the game, whereas Sarkhan is better at protecting himself and can win the game on his own.
Is Anger of the Gods better than Drown in Sorrow? I'm not sure if there are any decks for me to worry about with significant numbers of 3-toughness creatures, unless you count killing Sylvan Caryatids.

Konstantin
Jun 20, 2005
And the Lord said, "Look, they are one people, and they have all one language; and this is only the beginning of what they will do; nothing that they propose to do will now be impossible for them.
drat, making an ideal manabase is extremely difficult in this Standard. With all the options available, the theory is brutally complex. How much pain can you afford to take from your lands? Does your deck need enough colorless mana to run painlands over Confluence? How many taplands should you run? Should they be Temples or trilands? How do the fetchlands affect all this? This statistical rabbit hole goes deep, and I'm not sure even the pro teams can figure it out, especially once you add in sideboarding. It's almost enough to make me just play mono-red so I don't have to worry about it.

Fingers McLongDong
Nov 30, 2005

not eromenos
Fun Shoe

Konstantin posted:

drat, making an ideal manabase is extremely difficult in this Standard. With all the options available, the theory is brutally complex. How much pain can you afford to take from your lands? Does your deck need enough colorless mana to run painlands over Confluence? How many taplands should you run? Should they be Temples or trilands? How do the fetchlands affect all this? This statistical rabbit hole goes deep, and I'm not sure even the pro teams can figure it out, especially once you add in sideboarding. It's almost enough to make me just play mono-red so I don't have to worry about it.

Temples vs trilands is the main debate for me right now. Quite a few decks on stream yesterday seemed to favor trilands over scrys, though I'm sure control decks would still prefer scrys.

Lieutenant Centaur
Oct 17, 2010

A soldier will fight long and hard for a bit of colored ribbon

Fingers McLongDong posted:

Temples vs trilands is the main debate for me right now. Quite a few decks on stream yesterday seemed to favor trilands over scrys, though I'm sure control decks would still prefer scrys.

I was told to just run the SBDragons over the Sarkhans and then I'm told to only use 2 Sarkhans. Can anyone help with an optimal build to try and incorporate both advice?

https://www.deckstats.net/deck-4936453-4a8c0ff7ba441457a1168ed0626dfd6a.html

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
4 Sarkhan 0 Stormbreath just seems completely wrong given that you can only have one Sarkhan in play at a time.

4 white sources is not enough to cast Erase ... basically at all. You've got about a 50% chance of having an uncastable Erase stuck in your hand, which is completely unacceptable if you're relying on those Erases to help you out in a matchup.

If I felt the Erases in the board were necessary, I'd cut the Shrapnel Blasts, cut the Darksteel Citadels for some Plains, and run some temples to further help out. The deck literally has zero 1-drops, it can afford to have some comes-into-play-tapped lands.

YeehawMcKickass
Jan 2, 2003

Dungeon Ecology posted:

Alright, I know we're about to get a new Brewhaus thread, but I'm going to ask for some opinions on this Sultai build.

I copy over the decks people have been posting in the last page or so when I put the new thread up. I'll be working on that pretty quickly here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

YeehawMcKickass
Jan 2, 2003

New thread is up! I'm in process of copying over some of the decks from the end of this one.

• Locked thread