Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Madmarker
Jan 7, 2007

So I've been playing modern merfolk for a bit, I'm running the same list that was on free side of Starcity a while ago. Anyway I can pilot the deck fairly well but I'm having a good bit of trouble with the boggle matchup, they load up a hexproof dude and my only real out is to either echoing truth the enchantment or cast hibernation. Anyway I'm at a loss as to a good sideboard card/cards for the matchup, anyway, here's what I"m running. Originally I had 3 snapcaster's in the Cosi tirckster spot but it was fairly underwhelming, and cosi's trickster grows incredible quickly. So what I'm trying to figure out is what, if anything I should do to the board to improve my boggle matchup.

Should I just run Spellskite, and if so, any idea on what to cut?

Creatures (26)

3 Coralhelm Commander
3 Cosi's Trickster
4 Cursecatcher
4 Lord of Atlantis
4 Master of the Pearl Trident
4 Merrow Reejerey
4 Silvergill Adept
Lands (20)

17 Island
3 Mutavault
Spells (14)

4 Aether Vial
4 Deprive
2 Spell Pierce
4 Vapor Snag
Sideboard

3 Relic of Progenitus
2 Tidebinder Mage
4 Spreading Seas
2 Echoing Truth
2 Hibernation
2 Spell Pierce

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Soothing Cacophony
Sep 29, 2009
I love Heroic and Boros, I want it to work in Standard for Game Day.

Deck: Standard Boros Aggro

//Land
9 Plains
7 Mountain
4 Sacred Foundry

//Creatures
4 Soldier of the Pantheon
4 Favored Hoplite
4 Firefist Striker
4 Daring Skyjek
3 Phalanx Leader
3 Anax and Cymede
3 Fabled Hero

//Spells
4 Boros Charm
4 Gods Willing
3 Coordinated Assault
4 Lightning Strike

Display deck statistics

The deck is fun, you've got a lot of reach in burn and can do some scary things with Heroic (my favorite was 2 Coordinated Assaults and a Boros Charm onto an unblocked Anax and Cymede for a very lethal 16 damage). Gods Willing and Boros Charm help mitigate removal, but I feel like it might be enough in some matchups since the curve is so low. Cards I'm not sure about are Lightning Strike (Boros Charm is better reach and I could play Chained to the Rocks for removal) and Firefist Striker (where maybe Arena Athlete might be better for more reliable, but fewer triggers). Other stuff I might like is Spear of Heliod (maybe make draws with fewer Heroic enablers better) and Rakdos Cackler/Firedrinker Satyr (I really don't know what I like better here with regards to those vs. Favored Hoplite, but I'm leaning towards Heroic for now).

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

AlternateNu posted:

I don't think you need 4 x Guildgates AND 4 x Temples. Eight dual lands should be enough with just the temples and shock lands.

That having been said, I would go for more Read the Bones to replace the Opportunities. You don't want to need 6 mana just to draw. And drop 2 x Hero's Downfall for 2 more Doom Blades. You can sideboard them out if necessary and you won't be killing Planeswalkers as much as you'll be killing creatures.

WRT U/B control:

Jace, AoT is pretty big in any base-blue control deck. I think Desecration Demon and Whip are both on the weak side - Haunted Plate Mail is a promising option and I still think Pharika's Cure belongs somewhere in the 75 for a U/B control list.

I think U/B is on the weak side for a control list right now though, it's missing a board wipe (Anger of the Gods or Supreme Verdict) and is lacking on efficient lifegain (Revelation, Blood Baron, Obzedat), and the removal suite isn't as versatile as that of the base-W control lists (lacking Detention Sphere for starters).

I'd consider a Ratchet Bomb / Trading Post package for a U/B list to shore up its primary weaknesses.

Retcon
Jun 23, 2010

Zoness posted:

WRT U/B control:

Jace, AoT is pretty big in any base-blue control deck. I think Desecration Demon and Whip are both on the weak side - Haunted Plate Mail is a promising option and I still think Pharika's Cure belongs somewhere in the 75 for a U/B control list.

I think U/B is on the weak side for a control list right now though, it's missing a board wipe (Anger of the Gods or Supreme Verdict) and is lacking on efficient lifegain (Revelation, Blood Baron, Obzedat), and the removal suite isn't as versatile as that of the base-W control lists (lacking Detention Sphere for starters).

I'd consider a Ratchet Bomb / Trading Post package for a U/B list to shore up its primary weaknesses.
Is AoT actually that good? I know people have been investing in him before the rotation but he wasn't very good back then and I haven't seen anything to convince me that I want to run him in my control decks. His +1 ability doesn't seem very relevant right now and Memory Adept is much better at giving you card advantage while winning the game on his own. I realize that 4 versus 5 mana is a big difference but after playing with both AoT and Memory Adept a lot I vastly prefer Memory Adept in most matchups. Often I wished that AoT was just some removal spell so I wouldn't have to tap out for him and +1 him hoping that my opponent didn't play something I couldn't deal with.

Not having Detention Sphere is going to be a problem for U/B if cards like Hammer are a thing but I really like the removal suite for that color combination. You have Far // Away (which no longer has to deal with Thragtusk), Doom Blade, Hero's Downfall and Thoughtseize. I'm not sure how many Thoughtseizes you will be able to maindeck but it seems to that the combination of Thoughtseize and Hero's Downfall can deal with most threats. Being able to get rid of a Domri at instant speed is very nice - tapping out for Detention Sphere is a very risky play in many situations. U/B is much weaker to Voice than U/W or Esper though and I'm not quite sure how to deal with that card without sacrifing card quality. For example you could play Omenspeaker but that card seems a bit underpowered to me.

Not having any lifegain (Pharika's Cure isn't really what you're looking for) is a bit annoying but Obzedat or Blood Baron aren't cards I'd run in my control deck anyway. Both of them are very clunky in that kind of deck and I rarely find myself in a position where I'm comfortable casting them. Relying on that kind of card leaves you open to cards you wouldn't lose to otherwise such as your opponent resolving a hasty threat or random removal.

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

Retcon posted:

Is AoT actually that good? I know people have been investing in him before the rotation but he wasn't very good back then and I haven't seen anything to convince me that I want to run him in my control decks. His +1 ability doesn't seem very relevant right now and Memory Adept is much better at giving you card advantage while winning the game on his own. I realize that 4 versus 5 mana is a big difference but after playing with both AoT and Memory Adept a lot I vastly prefer Memory Adept in most matchups. Often I wished that AoT was just some removal spell so I wouldn't have to tap out for him and +1 him hoping that my opponent didn't play something I couldn't deal with.

Not having Detention Sphere is going to be a problem for U/B if cards like Hammer are a thing but I really like the removal suite for that color combination. You have Far // Away (which no longer has to deal with Thragtusk), Doom Blade, Hero's Downfall and Thoughtseize. I'm not sure how many Thoughtseizes you will be able to maindeck but it seems to that the combination of Thoughtseize and Hero's Downfall can deal with most threats. Being able to get rid of a Domri at instant speed is very nice - tapping out for Detention Sphere is a very risky play in many situations. U/B is much weaker to Voice than U/W or Esper though and I'm not quite sure how to deal with that card without sacrifing card quality. For example you could play Omenspeaker but that card seems a bit underpowered to me.

Not having any lifegain (Pharika's Cure isn't really what you're looking for) is a bit annoying but Obzedat or Blood Baron aren't cards I'd run in my control deck anyway. Both of them are very clunky in that kind of deck and I rarely find myself in a position where I'm comfortable casting them. Relying on that kind of card leaves you open to cards you wouldn't lose to otherwise such as your opponent resolving a hasty threat or random removal.

Well, you say Jace, AoT isn't good but a lot of control decks in the top 8 of the open yesterday were packing at least 3 maindeck. The +1 is very potent as either virtual life gain or getting the opponent to overcommit into a Verdict (something that U/B admittedly lacks). I think AoT is better than Memory Adept against an aggro deck while postboard the U/B deck should be way ahead in a control mirror anyway so you can afford to be running the slightly weaker AoT game 1.

As far as the tapout plan goes - Obzedat is probably just a worse Aetherling for a control deck so that's out but I think Blood Baron is fine against mono-red depending on board states and pretty good at pressuring W/x or B/x midrange lists. People tapped out for Baneslayer Angel back in the day and Blood Baron is just a Baneslayer that dies to Mizzium Mortars (which is probably the first card to get boarded out for a lot of decks against control lists anyway). Christian Calcano ran 3 Blood Baron in the sideboard because against really fast decks it just wins postboard.

I don't like where U/B control is right now because it's lacking Tendrils of Corruption but I think at least against an aggro-heavy field Pharika's Cure should at least be a 2-of. It also doubles as a fog when racing opposing Aetherlings later on!

Retcon
Jun 23, 2010

Zoness posted:

Well, you say Jace, AoT isn't good but a lot of control decks in the top 8 of the open yesterday were packing at least 3 maindeck. The +1 is very potent as either virtual life gain or getting the opponent to overcommit into a Verdict (something that U/B admittedly lacks). I think AoT is better than Memory Adept against an aggro deck while postboard the U/B deck should be way ahead in a control mirror anyway so you can afford to be running the slightly weaker AoT game 1.
I think those decks would have been better off not running AoT. His +1 does buy some time but it's a very clumsy way of buying time and he comes down on Turn 4. He draws cards or slow down your opponent but he isn't very good at both things and ultimately I find it hard to justify tapping out for him on Turn 4. In a control deck I want to leave open mana whenever I can and tapping 4 mana for AoT often leaves you in a bad position.

quote:

As far as the tapout plan goes - Obzedat is probably just a worse Aetherling for a control deck so that's out but I think Blood Baron is fine against mono-red depending on board states and pretty good at pressuring W/x or B/x midrange lists. People tapped out for Baneslayer Angel back in the day and Blood Baron is just a Baneslayer that dies to Mizzium Mortars (which is probably the first card to get boarded out for a lot of decks against control lists anyway). Christian Calcano ran 3 Blood Baron in the sideboard because against really fast decks it just wins postboard.
Blood Baron is miserable against Mono-red considering he comes out on Turn 5. You want your answers against Mono-Red to be as cheap as possible. By the time he comes out it's very possible you can't even attack with him. A Doom Blade or Azorius Charm will be better against Mono-Red most of the time and is far more flexible. Your late game is far better than theirs so you main goal is to get to that point. Also, Blood Baron isn't really comparable to Baneslayer. Baneslayer had +1/+1 and flying and first strike which is a huge difference. Protection from black and white isn't very relevant in the matchups where you would want to draw Blood Baron.

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx

That all sounds pretty awesome, but I'm not surprised about it rolling over to Aggro; I know we joke about wanting Pyroclasm back but the deck doesn't make friends with Anger of the Gods due to it removing Tymaret from the game. I saw enough aggro decks at FNM to convince me to run a more Control-ish deck (which can be found here if anyone wants to take a gander) until the format slows down.

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

Retcon posted:

I think those decks would have been better off not running AoT. His +1 does buy some time but it's a very clumsy way of buying time and he comes down on Turn 4. He draws cards or slow down your opponent but he isn't very good at both things and ultimately I find it hard to justify tapping out for him on Turn 4. In a control deck I want to leave open mana whenever I can and tapping 4 mana for AoT often leaves you in a bad position.

I don't know if you've played with AoT but he really slows down red decks substantially. I understand that the modes might seem weak on paper but it's actually one of the best cards you can tap out for - who cares if they play a haste creature or attack him and burn him out? You've forced them to commit more resources, possibly into your verdict. If they attack you again you verdict the next turn and have Jace AoT up with +1 against whatever haste creatures your opponent plays out. He's also rarely ever your first play of the game and really considering what he does to 2-power creatures having an AoT +1 out is basically a free Doom Blade against two 2-power creatures that makes supreme verdict even more powerful.

Tapping out on Turn 4 for a 5-loyalty walker that protects itself and you is a very potent play, he's basically better than holding up essence scatter. I honestly cannot fathom a sequence where you tap out for Jace, AoT and they do something that you can't answer later or blow you out, worst case being a 3-point Rakdos's Return when you're tapping out for Jace on the draw - and the second worst case would be a dreadbore or hero's downfall and in each of those cases if that's an option for them you can hold onto the jace and not play him until like turn 6 (holding up negate/syncopate/whatever) or turn 7 with dissolve and he's still good then.

Zoness fucked around with this message at 18:03 on Sep 30, 2013

YeehawMcKickass
Jan 2, 2003

WE WELCOME THE OPPRESSORS

Oldsrocket_27 posted:

What kind of midrange did you run up against? Since sweepers don't really matter, would Anger of the Gods be a good play against aggro, and if not Flames of the Firebrand?

I'm thinking about building this because it looks so fun, but A) my local meta is pretty aggro-heavy with a fair bit of midrange and nonexistent control and B) building a new deck for me means trading off all of my current playable standard cards, because I don't make a ton of cash and when I spring a lot of cash for cards, I spend it on eternal format staples.

First round I ran up against B/R/w with Boros Reckoner and Desecration Demons. Warleaders Helix, lightning strike, chained to the rocks, and one or two other pieces of removal. Matchup really came down to who established board position first

Second round was pure mono red aggro. They were able to curve out cackler to ash zealot to more small stuff. Anger of the Gods would have helped here.

Fourth round was Boros Aggro, I got game one when he stumbled and misplayed, but couldn't get removal online or through Brave the Elements though. I did get to drill him for half his life total with Rakdos Charm though, earned a fist bump from him with that one.

bhsman posted:

That all sounds pretty awesome, but I'm not surprised about it rolling over to Aggro; I know we joke about wanting Pyroclasm back but the deck doesn't make friends with Anger of the Gods due to it removing Tymaret from the game. I saw enough aggro decks at FNM to convince me to run a more Control-ish deck (which can be found here if anyone wants to take a gander) until the format slows down.

Largely the same conclusion I came to, but I'll probably make multiple changes to see if there's really anything that can be done with the aggro match.

YeehawMcKickass fucked around with this message at 18:35 on Sep 30, 2013

kirtar
Sep 11, 2011

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild
I'm building a maze's end deck because I find the concept amusing. I would like to keep it legal in Standard so I can use it at FNM. Right now I took the overall cards for two decklists (i.e. I can make either one) from the mtgsalvation forum (http://forums.mtgsalvation.com/showpost.php?p=10788897&postcount=9 and http://forums.mtgsalvation.com/showpost.php?p=10762572&postcount=168). The core of the two is the same, with at least two of each guildgate, four maze's end, and various fog effects and planar cleansing.

With this particular deck, I am somewhat concerned about two cards that would immediately eliminate all built in win conditions. The first is Pithing Needle, which can be used to nullify both Maze's End and Crackling Perimeter. This of course, can be eliminated with artifact destruction, and both of the decks sideboard it. Slaughter Games is uncounterable and can take Crackling Perimeter out of the game so long as it is not already on the field. While I can think of a counter (Slaughter Games naming Slaughter Games), I'm not sure it would be worth worrying about.

Keeping in mind that I already bought the cards, I'd be fine with spending about $20-30 on upgrades or even another style of deck so I don't just have a combo deck (perhaps RDW).

Deck 1 Statistics (Something in the way)

Deck 2 Statistics (Other Guy)

an_mutt
Sep 29, 2010

I was,
I am,
and I remain a soldier!

Sworn to dedicate my heart and soul to the restoration of human kind!

Having no idea what to play for post-rotation, I decided to take a leaf out of the MURDERGOAT book and try something for the next few weeks before I draft/trade my way into some of the more expensive cards from Theros:

Deck: G/B Midrange Standard

//Main
Lands (23):
4 Overgrown Tomb
2 Golgari Guildgate
9 Swamp
8 Forest

Creatures (18):
4 Korozda Guildmage
4 Boon Satyr
4 Reaper of the Wilds
3 Deathrite Shaman
3 Varolz, the Scar-Striped

Spells (19):
4 Grisly Salvage
3 Doom Blade
3 Trading Post
2 Read the Bones
2 Abrupt Decay
2 Golgari Charm
2 Bow of Nylea
1 Putrefy

Display deck statistics

I'm still working on the final few cards in the deck (namely the inclusion of Abrubt Decay), as well as the sideboard. I really have no idea how the deck will work, and this was only built because I like Reaper of the Wilds a lot, as well as Trading Post and Varolz. I'm half-considering a red splash for Tyramet and Rakdos's Return to make the deck more focused on the sacrifice package and make it a tad bit more disruptive, but the mana base feels shaky enough as it is.

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

I'm the lead trumpet player, playing loud and high is all I know how to do.

Progress Report #4:

First, a thank you to YeehawMcKickass for bringing my :words: over. Honestly I'm doing this mostly for myself and putting it here for ease of access, but when it comes to these simulations and ideas discussion can lead to much better results and conclusions, and I hope some of you are learning something from my findings like I am.

Second, a quick update: I figured out why there was a difference between Geist of St. Traft's simulation and Loxodon Smiter: Consider a game where you have to mulligan down to only 1 creature in hand (so 3+ lands atleast). If you continue to draw lands it's a Turn 7 kill for Geist and a Turn 8 for the Smiter. Additionally, playing your second creature on Turn 5 leads to the standard Turn 6 kill for Geist but only 16 damage for Smiters.

tl;dr: Geist of St. Traft does more damage than Loxodon Smiters :v:

And finally, an important one: If you look at Frank's original code you'll see how he handles playing through each turn in the TurnKill subroutine. It's very hardcoded and not optimal, and he even says as much in his articles. So I wanted to make a more generic algorithm to handle a turn, and especially to figure out which creatures to play to put the most power on the field. And the solution was right there: we're already brute-forcing through loops, why not just brute-force loop through every combination of creatures in our hand, note how much mana and total power each combination is, then simply pick the combo with the highest power that is castable with the mana we have left?

http://pastebin.com/qiLAR7AJ

I've tested the code with a few of the original experiments (The 2/4/6 power drops with 3 power bolt, and the all-1-drop format) and gotten close, but slightly different (improved hopefully!) results. It changes most for results that killed on turn 5/6 or more, since that code was not optimized at all originally. Also, occasionally I set the Lightning Bolt damage = 0 when I don't want to force the number to 0, and I haven't seen a difference in the results, so sometimes I will refer to it like that. And finally I'm using Frank's official mulliganing strategy (opposed to the "loose" strategy of keeping 2<=x<=5 lands). The code for this is pretty complex but I'm trusting in his routine for now.

Alright, to the real experiments.

Selesnya Experiment #1: Given a format with Savannah Lions, Watchwolfs, and Loxodon Smiters, the optimal deck is:
39 Savannah Lion
21 Land
Avg Turn Kill: 4.70

Whoops. Well that should have been expected, but glad to see the simulation and my new TurnKill code produce something reasonable.

Selesnya doesn't typically get a burn spell, but they do get utility like Selesnya Charm which can be viewed as a Lightning Bolt for 2 damage with a CMC of 2, a Magma Jet if you will. The TurnKill in the pastebin above should reflect this next experiment.

Selesnya Experiment #2: Given a format with Savannah Lions, Watchwolfs, Loxodon Smiters, and Selesnya Charms, the optimal deck is:
35 Savannah Lion
7 Selesnya Charm (!!)
18 Land
Avg Turn Kill: 4.53

Not what I was expecting at first. I thought that being 2 mana and 2 damage only would be bad enough that we'd output the 39/21 deck again. But looking back at those Goblin Guide+Lightning Bolt decks it makes sense. Here a Turn 4 kill can be achieved with Turn 1 Lion, Turn 2 Lionx2 (18 life), Turn 3 Lion x2 (12 life), Turn 4 attack with 5 lions and +2/+2 for the win.

So even under the guise of an all-creature Selesnya deck you still need to have what we often hear called "reach" to make you deck win faster, or win at all. These results are also promising for comparing which burn spells available in Standard are worth a slot in the deck, but that'll have to wait for a bit.

Next Steps: To limit the number of Lions in the deck, and to try and simulate some level of opponent interaction (i.e. increasing the opponent's life total from 20 to ... 26? 30? to simulate kill spells/blockers)

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

kirtar posted:

I'm building a maze's end deck because I find the concept amusing. I would like to keep it legal in Standard so I can use it at FNM. Right now I took the overall cards for two decklists (i.e. I can make either one) from the mtgsalvation forum (http://forums.mtgsalvation.com/showpost.php?p=10788897&postcount=9 and http://forums.mtgsalvation.com/showpost.php?p=10762572&postcount=168). The core of the two is the same, with at least two of each guildgate, four maze's end, and various fog effects and planar cleansing.

With this particular deck, I am somewhat concerned about two cards that would immediately eliminate all built in win conditions. The first is Pithing Needle, which can be used to nullify both Maze's End and Crackling Perimeter. This of course, can be eliminated with artifact destruction, and both of the decks sideboard it. Slaughter Games is uncounterable and can take Crackling Perimeter out of the game so long as it is not already on the field. While I can think of a counter (Slaughter Games naming Slaughter Games), I'm not sure it would be worth worrying about.

Keeping in mind that I already bought the cards, I'd be fine with spending about $20-30 on upgrades or even another style of deck so I don't just have a combo deck (perhaps RDW).

Deck 1 Statistics (Something in the way)

Deck 2 Statistics (Other Guy)

Just some quick thoughts on Maze's End, since I ran the Miracles version pre-rotation:

1. Don't play 2 of each guildgate. It's too slow and inconsistent. The best option is to run 14-15 gates and fill up on basics (or shocks if you have them, though they're less essential with Farseek gone), so you can actually do things like clear the board on turn four instead of dying on turn four with a sweeper you can't play until turn 5.

Yes, I know that sometimes you'll just lose to Ashiok or Nightveil Specter exiling one of your singleton gates. Too bad, it happens, it's not worth completely screwing up your manabase in order to try and mitigate that.

2. Saruli Gatekeepers is the best lifegain spell around, and it gives you a solid wall to fend off attacks with. It's basically essential if you want to beat a fast aggro deck, otherwise they'll wittle you down with unfoggable burn spells even after you've stabilized.

3. Ætherize is good, being a fog that also more-or-less fogs their next attack without spending an extra card. Also beats Skullcrack, resets Ooze and Desecration Demon, and a bunch of other good stuff. It's a little expensive though, I wouldn't run more than two.

4. I tried Assemble the Legion as a Needle-immune win condition, that also helps gum up the ground and keep Demons locked down. Obviously it works better if you don't show Crackling Perimeter in game one, letting them side out their enchantment removal.

5. Don't use Slaughter Games against Pithing Needle, it's really kind of pointless. Just use artifact destruction. Pre-rotation, Slaughter Games was basically how you beat Acidic Slime - now, you probably name Ætherling (to give you more time to assemble your gates against control), or the milling Jace or Ashiok to stop them wrecking your chances.

Jabor fucked around with this message at 00:46 on Oct 1, 2013

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."
Wanted to resume the conversation about the BW midrange deck Nehru the Damaja posted in the last thread:

Nehru the Damaja posted:

//Creatures
4 Blood Baron of Vizkopa
4 Desecration Demon
2 Obzedat, Ghost Council
4 Sin Collector

//Enchantments
2 Blind Obedience
2 Whip of Erebos

//Instants and sorceries
3 Read the Bones
2 Thoughtseize
4 Devour Flesh
4 Doom Blade
4 Hero's Downfall

//Land
4 Godless Shrine
8 Plains
9 Swamp
4 Temple of Silence

Per that conversation, I think Blind Obedience should be in the sideboard (especially once all the RDW players wise up on Hammer) Has anyone played this or anything like it yet? I've not played with so much removal before, but I like the recursion aspect from Whip with Sin Collector, besides the Obzedat exploit. I think Lifebane Zombie for the side too, to switch for Collector against mono-White and Selesnya aggro, which I think can still be A Thing, and anything where the intimidate and peak at their hand is useful.

So what should replace Obedience in the maindeck? Add some distress for early disruption? Maybe something that can supplement life early one whilst it's being spent on Shrines and Thoughtseize and what creatures and spells get off before the deck develops board presence.

kirtar
Sep 11, 2011

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Jabor posted:

Just some quick thoughts on Maze's End, since I ran the Miracles version pre-rotation:

1. Don't play 2 of each guildgate. It's too slow and inconsistent. The best option is to run 14-15 gates and fill up on basics (or shocks if you have them, though they're less essential with Farseek gone), so you can actually do things like clear the board on turn four instead of dying on turn four with a sweeper you can't play until turn 5.

Yes, I know that sometimes you'll just lose to Ashiok or Nightveil Specter exiling one of your singleton gates. Too bad, it happens, it's not worth completely screwing up your manabase in order to try and mitigate that.

2. Saruli Gatekeepers is the best lifegain spell around, and it gives you a solid wall to fend off attacks with. It's basically essential if you want to beat a fast aggro deck, otherwise they'll wittle you down with unfoggable burn spells even after you've stabilized.

3. Ætherize is good, being a fog that also more-or-less fogs their next attack without spending an extra card. Also beats Skullcrack, resets Ooze and Desecration Demon, and a bunch of other good stuff. It's a little expensive though, I wouldn't run more than two.

4. I tried Assemble the Legion as a Needle-immune win condition, that also helps gum up the ground and keep Demons locked down. Obviously it works better if you don't show Crackling Perimeter in game one, letting them side out their enchantment removal.

5. Don't use Slaughter Games against Pithing Needle, it's really kind of pointless. Just use artifact destruction. Pre-rotation, Slaughter Games was basically how you beat Acidic Slime - now, you probably name Ætherling (to give you more time to assemble your gates against control), or the milling Jace or Ashiok to stop them wrecking your chances.

1. If it's 14-15 gates, I assume it will just be multiples of the ones that produce the mana colors used most by the rest of the deck. This part will be the easiest to play around with since I will have two of each gate and plenty of basic land. The basic land would provide some protection against Burning Earth.
2. Looks like I'm including four of them. Is it worth having say, Far // Away to try and reset Saruli Gatekeepers and/or Gatecreeper Vine?
3. I might have to pick that up since it's also a bounce that might help delay damage even further.
4. I might experiment with that. It's probably not as expected as Crackling Perimeter and of course, is immune to Pithing Needle.
5. I assume the use of Slaughter Games on whatever alt win condition is just a situation of removing any Pithing Needles and going for Maze's End. My main concern was someone doing for example, Slaughter Games on Crackling Perimeter and Pithing Needle on Maze's End. The latter can be removed as long as artifact destruction is in the deck, but there's not much that can be done about the former.

Any thoughts on fog effects vs removals? There seems to be two lines of thought on Maze's End decks.

kirtar fucked around with this message at 01:53 on Oct 1, 2013

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

BizarroAzrael posted:

Wanted to resume the conversation about the BW midrange deck Nehru the Damaja posted in the last thread:

Per that conversation, I think Blind Obedience should be in the sideboard (especially once all the RDW players wise up on Hammer) Has anyone played this or anything like it yet? I've not played with so much removal before, but I like the recursion aspect from Whip with Sin Collector, besides the Obzedat exploit. I think Lifebane Zombie for the side too, to switch for Collector against mono-White and Selesnya aggro, which I think can still be A Thing, and anything where the intimidate and peak at their hand is useful.

So what should replace Obedience in the maindeck? Add some distress for early disruption? Maybe something that can supplement life early one whilst it's being spent on Shrines and Thoughtseize and what creatures and spells get off before the deck develops board presence.

I've seen some people try Tithe Drinker as a blocker that buys you time and is slightly less useless than your average early-game blocker if you draw it late. Not sure how it performs though.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

kirtar posted:

1. If it's 14-15 gates, I assume it will just be multiples of the ones that produce the mana colors used most by the rest of the deck. This part will be the easiest to play around with since I will have two of each gate and plenty of basic land. The basic land would provide some protection against Burning Earth.
2. Looks like I'm including four of them. Is it worth having say, Far // Away to try and reset Saruli Gatekeepers and/or Gatecreeper Vine?
3. I might have to pick that up since it's also a bounce that might help delay damage even further.
4. I might experiment with that. It's probably not as expected as Crackling Perimeter and of course, is immune to Pithing Needle.
5. I assume the use of Slaughter Games on whatever alt win condition is just a situation of removing any Pithing Needles and going for Maze's End. My main concern was someone doing for example, Slaughter Games on Crackling Perimeter and Pithing Needle on Maze's End. The latter can be removed as long as artifact destruction is in the deck, but there's not much that can be done about the former.

Any thoughts on fog effects vs removals? There seems to be two lines of thought on Maze's End decks.

Yeah, the gates you want to double up depends on just how your colours shake out. You probably want to go heavy on the green, since a gatecreeper vine will let you tutor up whatever other colours you need.

I don't think anyone's going to side in slaughter games against this deck - it does nothing against Maze's End itself, and it also doesn't do anything to help them kill you faster.

As far as fog effects versus spot removal goes, you absolutely need instant speed removal that can hit Sire of Insanity - Helix is good for this since it gets you extra life. The new Hero's Downfall could be an option (that also kills Obzedat, as well as Ashiok and other problem 'walkers), though BB could be a bit of a stretch. Selesnya Charm is also good as well as on-colour, and can make a token in a pinch (make sure to run Druid's Deliverance over the Theros fog).

With regards to fogs vs. sweepers, you basically need 20+, but there are a lot of viable ways to put that together. I like 13 fogs, two Aetherize, four Supreme Verdict and two Merciless Eviction. If you're going heavy on creatures of your own, more fogs and fewer sweepers is best, of course.

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

Madmarker posted:

So I've been playing modern merfolk for a bit, I'm running the same list that was on free side of Starcity a while ago. Anyway I can pilot the deck fairly well but I'm having a good bit of trouble with the boggle matchup, they load up a hexproof dude and my only real out is to either echoing truth the enchantment or cast hibernation. Anyway I'm at a loss as to a good sideboard card/cards for the matchup, anyway, here's what I"m running. Originally I had 3 snapcaster's in the Cosi tirckster spot but it was fairly underwhelming, and cosi's trickster grows incredible quickly. So what I'm trying to figure out is what, if anything I should do to the board to improve my boggle matchup.

Should I just run Spellskite, and if so, any idea on what to cut?

Creatures (26)

3 Coralhelm Commander
3 Cosi's Trickster
4 Cursecatcher
4 Lord of Atlantis
4 Master of the Pearl Trident
4 Merrow Reejerey
4 Silvergill Adept
Lands (20)

17 Island
3 Mutavault
Spells (14)

4 Aether Vial
4 Deprive
2 Spell Pierce
4 Vapor Snag
Sideboard

3 Relic of Progenitus
2 Tidebinder Mage
4 Spreading Seas
2 Echoing Truth
2 Hibernation
2 Spell Pierce

Hello Eternal friend.

In Modern, sometimes you just have to deal with a matchup being lovely. This is probably one of those times. Hibernation is probably...OK. Spellskite, as you've already said, is probably the best you can do. When do you find yourself bringing in the Hibernates? If it's for the Jund and G/B matchups, are perhaps the Tidebinder Mages good enough and you can fit some skites there? I

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost
Alright here's another deck I'm working on. It's partially inspired by someone in the last thread. Right now Azorius Control is getting pretty popular at my LGS. I'm already sick of Supreme Verdict so I'm trying to build a deck that explicitly screws it over in the meta while also being pretty good against most other matchups. Here's what I have so far:

My current concern is that it doesn't have enough creatures, but I really want 4 Initiatives and 4 Boros Charms in there. Also I only have 1 Hammer. Should I maindeck only 3 Initiatives and add a 2nd Hammer, putting the 4th Initiative in the sideboard? If I were to cut anything for more creatures, what should I cut?

Elephant Ambush fucked around with this message at 04:17 on Oct 1, 2013

Mikujin
May 25, 2010

(also a lightning rod)

Easy to put this all together with what I've got kicking around, here's RDW from Owen Turtenwald with a couple minor tweaks:
Deck: Red Deck Wins

//Land
18 Mountain
3 Mutavault

//Creatures
4 Foundry Street Denizen
4 Rakdos Cackler
4 Firedrinker Satyr
4 Burning-Tree Emissary
4 Gore-House Chainwalker
4 Firefist Striker
2 Goblin Shortcutter
3 Chandra's Phoenix

//Spells
4 Lightning Strike
4 Shock
2 Hammer of Purphoros

Display deck statistics

The only noticeable change to his original list was: -1 Mutavault, -1 Chandra's Phoenix, +2 Hammer.

Hammer really is a nice drop to keep pressure running, since with Hammer + any non-creature in your hand you can Hammer, then drop your dude and pretend you played him last turn. And since most of your draws will be dudes, you'll likely have grabbed another cheap guy to cast and swing. My favorite thing so far has been topdecking BTE with Hammer on the board and using the free mana to turn a land into a dude to get 5 power of haste guys down to swing.

Thoughts?

E: Alternatively, could drop down to 2 x Phoenix in favor of the Hammer, and keep the Mutavaults in. Post-wrath Vaults can get some work done without relying on topdecking burn just to get them back in play, and it's removing another card equally high on curve.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
Another idea that I had for Standard, maybe as gimmicky as my Pack Rats deck but a more consistent gimmick-

Deck: Wb "Stompy"

//Lands
4 Godless Shrine
14 Plains
4 Swamp

//Spells
4 Orzhov Charm
4 Path of Bravery
2 Spear of Heliod
4 Thoughtseize

//Creatures
3 Archangel of Thune
4 Fiendslayer Paladin
3 Frontline Medic
4 Precinct Captain
3 Tithe Drinker
3 Vizkopa Guildmage

//Sideboard
3 Brave the Elements
3 Blind Obedience
3 Glare of Heresy
3 Solemn Offering
3 Blood Baron of Vizkopa

Display deck statistics

My only big question is whether or not it would be worthwhile to squeeze Boros Reckoner in here somewhere.

Coucho Marx
Mar 2, 2009

kick back and relax

Nehru the Damaja posted:

I've seen some people try Tithe Drinker as a blocker that buys you time and is slightly less useless than your average early-game blocker if you draw it late. Not sure how it performs though.

I tried it, but you may as well play Pharika's Cure, it'll still die to anything and only give you two life most of the time. I swapped it with High Priest of Penance and was pretty happy, mono-red has no choice but to swing into or burn him, and either will trigger his destroy ability. You can 2-for-1 by blocking an X/1 as well, and his trigger kills any nonland permanent so he's still totally relevant all the time. Blind Obedience is a legit sideboard card that completely hoses the Hammer, and Extort is really relevant against aggro if you have the spare mana, so the two of them and you're on your way.

Mikujin
May 25, 2010

(also a lightning rod)

C-Euro posted:

Another idea that I had for Standard, maybe as gimmicky as my Pack Rats deck but a more consistent gimmick-

Deck: Wb "Stompy"

//Lands
4 Godless Shrine
14 Plains
4 Swamp

//Spells
4 Orzhov Charm
4 Path of Bravery
2 Spear of Heliod
4 Thoughtseize

//Creatures
3 Archangel of Thune
4 Fiendslayer Paladin
3 Frontline Medic
4 Precinct Captain
3 Tithe Drinker
3 Vizkopa Guildmage

//Sideboard
3 Brave the Elements
3 Blind Obedience
3 Glare of Heresy
3 Solemn Offering
3 Blood Baron of Vizkopa

Display deck statistics

My only big question is whether or not it would be worthwhile to squeeze Boros Reckoner in here somewhere.

My first thought seeing this list is that 23 land is probably where you want to be, since 22 seems just a touch light when the bulk of your non-removal cards are 3 drops.

oryx
Nov 14, 2004

Fun Shoe

Mikujin posted:

Easy to put this all together with what I've got kicking around, here's RDW from Owen Turtenwald with a couple minor tweaks:
Deck: Red Deck Wins

Thoughts?

E: Alternatively, could drop down to 2 x Phoenix in favor of the Hammer, and keep the Mutavaults in. Post-wrath Vaults can get some work done without relying on topdecking burn just to get them back in play, and it's removing another card equally high on curve.

I hate to be a downer, but it seems like you basically side-boarded with his deck? Did you make any changes to the sideboard?

I'd guess the reason that Hammer's in the sideboard is that it can actually can be a bit tempo hit against you. Let's look at the situation where this is good: you've got either the mana to cast the hammer and activate it with spare untapped lands, or enough mana to cast it and a second card that's cheap enough to cast. This is a pretty rosy situation, but having 4-7 mana and extra land/cards is not exactly this decks ideal "plan"; it wants to win in as few turns as possible before a sufficient defense can be mounted. The longer this deck lets the opponent to live, unless its a mirror match, the better their odds at winning. Obviously, if you're at three mana or less, this card just sucks; you're doing nothing to your board state for a turn or its sitting in your hand.

So my reasoning on this card is that it just doesn't fit what the deck wants to do out of the gates, and I'd probably side it in when I am going to be forced into a game that is going to go longer than I want/can't kill with my first 10 cards. I'd also be hesitant to ditch the fourth mutavault or phoenix, since they're pretty key members of the team. I'd consider trimming a mountain before a mutavault TBH.

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

Coucho Marx posted:

I tried it, but you may as well play Pharika's Cure, it'll still die to anything and only give you two life most of the time. I swapped it with High Priest of Penance and was pretty happy, mono-red has no choice but to swing into or burn him, and either will trigger his destroy ability. You can 2-for-1 by blocking an X/1 as well, and his trigger kills any nonland permanent so he's still totally relevant all the time. Blind Obedience is a legit sideboard card that completely hoses the Hammer, and Extort is really relevant against aggro if you have the spare mana, so the two of them and you're on your way.

I would probably prefer Pharikka's Cure to High Priest. Turn 1 one-drop, turn 2 Mutavault, Firefist, turn 3 who swing without even needing a third thing, and now Priest does nothing.

Mikujin
May 25, 2010

(also a lightning rod)

oryx posted:

I hate to be a downer, but it seems like you basically side-boarded with his deck? Did you make any changes to the sideboard?

I'd guess the reason that Hammer's in the sideboard is that it can actually can be a bit tempo hit against you. Let's look at the situation where this is good: you've got either the mana to cast the hammer and activate it with spare untapped lands, or enough mana to cast it and a second card that's cheap enough to cast. This is a pretty rosy situation, but having 4-7 mana and extra land/cards is not exactly this decks ideal "plan"; it wants to win in as few turns as possible before a sufficient defense can be mounted. The longer this deck lets the opponent to live, unless its a mirror match, the better their odds at winning. Obviously, if you're at three mana or less, this card just sucks; you're doing nothing to your board state for a turn or its sitting in your hand.

So my reasoning on this card is that it just doesn't fit what the deck wants to do out of the gates, and I'd probably side it in when I am going to be forced into a game that is going to go longer than I want/can't kill with my first 10 cards. I'd also be hesitant to ditch the fourth mutavault or phoenix, since they're pretty key members of the team. I'd consider trimming a mountain before a mutavault TBH.
It is just a sideboard swap right now from his list, I'll tune my own board to my meta as needed.

While I'm aware the plan for RDW is to go for the throat, I don't ever see Hammer as the play you're making on T3. As has been stated by others, it's your drop when you've played everything else, and that's fine - if it was another creature (barring Phoenix) it wouldn't be swinging immediately anyways. Bonus points are that every topdeck you make from here on out is gas: pull a creature? It has haste, drop it and swing! Pull a land? It's now a 3/3 creature with haste, drop it and swing! It's not your on curve play (drop another CMC1 and CMC2 guy, or a Phoenix, or a dude and a damage spell), but the ability to turn your whole deck (save the other hammer) into gas seems absolutely amazing in a deck whose biggest priority is getting the other guy to 0 without caring what life total he's sitting at.

oryx
Nov 14, 2004

Fun Shoe

Mikujin posted:

It is just a sideboard swap right now from his list, I'll tune my own board to my meta as needed.

While I'm aware the plan for RDW is to go for the throat, I don't ever see Hammer as the play you're making on T3. As has been stated by others, it's your drop when you've played everything else, and that's fine - if it was another creature (barring Phoenix) it wouldn't be swinging immediately anyways. Bonus points are that every topdeck you make from here on out is gas: pull a creature? It has haste, drop it and swing! Pull a land? It's now a 3/3 creature with haste, drop it and swing! It's not your on curve play (drop another CMC1 and CMC2 guy, or a Phoenix, or a dude and a damage spell), but the ability to turn your whole deck (save the other hammer) into gas seems absolutely amazing in a deck whose biggest priority is getting the other guy to 0 without caring what life total he's sitting at.

The fact that you'd never play it turn three is exactly why it's in the sideboard.

If you had a hand that was: mountain, mountain, mutavault, lighting strike, firedrinker satyr, gore-house chainwalker, would you want your seventh card to be the hammer? Would you rather it be your tenth card? Outside of mana flood, I can't think of many scenarios where I'd rather have the hammer than pretty much any card in the deck.

Yes, Hammer might steal you a few games that you wouldn't have normally won, but how many might it lose you that a mutavault and a chandra's phoenix would have won? Or they could just stabilize, or you could take so long getting it going that your opponent renders 3/3s irrelevant.

I mean you basically just said that you'd play this when you'd have literally nothing else to do. This is pretty much the last thing you want to say about a card in your starting sixty cards. You're essentially conceding that this deck's game plan is not going to work by you're hedging your bets.

If you playtest this deck and find you really just want the hammer, then this deck's going to need some significant changes (like more 3/4/5 drops to capitalize on the haste and more lands, purphoros maybe to take advantage of all the hasty creatures and the high devotion to red).

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
I don't see going to five-drops as a good plan (the five drops that are good plays for a RDW-style deck have haste already). But extending the curve to four seems good - Fanatic has four power, and he comes with a free bolt to the face with the hammer out.

I don't know why you'd run Purphoros though, his abilities don't seem to synergize with hasty dudes at all, and his activated ability takes mana that you'd want to make golems with instead.

Jabor fucked around with this message at 07:11 on Oct 1, 2013

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
Quote is not edit.

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

oryx posted:

Yes, Hammer might steal you a few games that you wouldn't have normally won, but how many might it lose you that a mutavault and a chandra's phoenix would have won? Or they could just stabilize, or you could take so long getting it going that your opponent renders 3/3s irrelevant.

A 3/3 is at least as good as 2 2/2's when swinging up against a Jace +1.

Mikujin
May 25, 2010

(also a lightning rod)

oryx posted:

The fact that you'd never play it turn three is exactly why it's in the sideboard.

If you had a hand that was: mountain, mountain, mutavault, lighting strike, firedrinker satyr, gore-house chainwalker, would you want your seventh card to be the hammer? Would you rather it be your tenth card? Outside of mana flood, I can't think of many scenarios where I'd rather have the hammer than pretty much any card in the deck.

I mean you basically just said that you'd play this when you'd have literally nothing else to do. This is pretty much the last thing you want to say about a card in your starting sixty cards. You're essentially conceding that this deck's game plan is not going to work by you're hedging your bets.

If you playtest this deck and find you really just want the hammer, then this deck's going to need some significant changes (like more 3/4/5 drops to capitalize on the haste and more lands, purphoros maybe to take advantage of all the hasty creatures and the high devotion to red).

When I said I'd play other things over it, I meant that if it's T3, I've got 3 mana on board, and I've got a 1 drop and a 2 drop in hand, I'm likely going to drop them over hammer. And if I do that, chances are the only remaining card in my hand is hammer, at which point playing it T4 becomes likely unless I rip a phoenix off the top, because nothing else is going to get in for damage that isn't just a shock (outside of the fringe case drop Shortcutter to get past a single blocker). And that means T5 no matter what card I rip from the top it's going to be a good draw - mutavault ripped off the top is a 2/2 haste for 2 instead of a dead card for a turn, and every mountain draw isn't a dead draw.

That said, Hammer isn't so integral to our plan that we're playing more than 2, because drawing an extra hammer is dead weight. It's not a card you want to play immediately, but I definitely thinks it's a great card in the 60.

Jabor posted:

I don't see going to five-drops as a good plan (the five drops that are good plays for a RDW-style deck have haste already). But extending the curve to four seems good - Fanatic has four power, and he comes with a free bolt to the face with the hammer out.

I don't know why you'd run Purphoros though, his abilities don't seem to synergize with hasty dudes at all, and his activated ability takes mana that you'd want to make golems with instead.
I think Fanatic wants to be in a more stompy deck, running stuff like Reckoners. Topping out a 4 in a deck that wants excess mana to power mutavaults and/or turn into golems seems a bit too pricey.

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

Mikujin posted:

I think Fanatic wants to be in a more stompy deck, running stuff like Reckoners. Topping out a 4 in a deck that wants excess mana to power mutavaults and/or turn into golems seems a bit too pricey.

Honestly I think with the existence of Yoked Ox (and some other really efficient removal cards at low cost) the Phoenix/Fanatic deck is a lot better placed against control lists than one that tries to go all in before turn 4.

As in, I don't think a fast kill is all that consistent and at some point you'll want to have cards that can grind out against a Revelation or two (i.e. Phoenix, Fanatic, Hammer).

Although if control decks become built to win control mirrors maindeck the really fast decks can see more of a spot, but right now the U/W/x lists pack a lot of efficient removal.

Eikre
May 2, 2009
Objective: Surge aggressively into black devotion. Use Nykthos and Crypt Ghasts to generate egregious runoff mana, and then pack it all into extort. Hope that your opponent doesn't do anything about it.

Deck: Perverse Devotion

4 Nykthos, Shrine to Nyx
18 Swamp

4 Thrull Parasite
4 Shadow Alley Denizen
4 Basilica Screecher
4 Rakdos Shred-Freak
4 Scourgemark
3 Dark Prophecy
4 Agent of the Fates
4 Crypt Ghast
4 Gray Merchant of Asphodel
3 Pontiff of Blight

This is a first draft. I haven't goldfished, and I certainly haven't done the math. It's probably in a pretty sorry state. For one thing, it features pretty much zero problem solving. I'll resolve that when I get some time to play around with it and see where the weak links are. I'd like to pick up Duress, Doomblade, and... Boon of Erebos?

Sideboard: Lifebane Zombies, Dark Betrayal/Hero's Downfall, Nightveil Spectres, and Sickness in the Ranks if tokens turn out to be popular.

Eikre fucked around with this message at 10:23 on Oct 1, 2013

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
I'd run Hero's Downfall main, with Pharika's Cure in the side for fast aggro. I'm also not sure what Boon of Erebos really does for you.

Coucho Marx
Mar 2, 2009

kick back and relax
Scourgemark and Agent of the Fates seems pretty narrow, you're not going to have many chances to fire it off. Better removing both (or just Scourgemark if you want to keep the devotion) for some proper removal like the mentioned Hero's Downfall and Doom Blade, or Devour Flesh if you still want a sacrifice effect. Whip of Erebos would fit, the lifelink keeping you alive long enough to win, and you can whip back Gray Merchant of Asphodel for major lifeswing, and it provides devotion.

edit: something like this?

Deck: Abhorrent Devotion

//Lands
4 Nykthos, Shrine to Nyx
18 Swamp

//Spells
3 Dark Prophecy
3 Doom Blade
2 Hero's Downfall
3 Thoughtseize
2 Whip of Erebos

//Creatures
1 Abhorrent Overlord
3 Basilica Screecher
4 Crypt Ghast
4 Gray Merchant of Asphodel
3 Nightveil Specter
3 Pontiff of Blight
3 Rakdos Shred-Freak
4 Shadow Alley Denizen

//Sideboard
3 Pharika's Cure
3 Illness in the Ranks
3 Dark Betrayal
3 Pithing Needle
1 Hero's Downfall
2 Devour Flesh

Display deck statistics

Abhorrent Overlord as a late-game bomb with all your devotion, with Pontiff out he just generates a ton of extorters, he's a good whip target too. Thoughtseize is better than Duress, but if you're just on a budget or whatever then Duress is fine.

Coucho Marx fucked around with this message at 12:19 on Oct 1, 2013

Eikre
May 2, 2009
I'm curious to see if we can't keep the deck a little more on the fast side. This is possible not a worthwhile objective, but I'm going to keep trying before moving into some of the cards on your list.

Scourgemark: The idea was to get devotion out of a cantrip, not activate Heroic. It is... not a very extraordinary card, either way. Switching Spectre for the Agent is almost certainly the right call, of course.

(Some of these decisions would be easier if there were a BB or (bw)(bw) creature with Extort. Oh well)

Eikre fucked around with this message at 13:22 on Oct 1, 2013

Permotriassic
May 29, 2007

Feed me and tell me I'm pretty
Hey, so I'm just throwing together a deck for FNM and I wanted to see what you guys thought of it. Its basically just G/B aggro, using Corpsejack Menace and Scavenge critters to push through for a big strike. I'm also trying out the Ordeals to try and keep my little creatures relevant past the early game. I know I probably need to shore up my mana base, which will increase my consistency a bit.

4x Corpsejack Menace
4x Deadbridge Goliath
1x Deathrite Shaman
3x Doom Blade
2x Dreg Mangler
9x Forest
2x Golgari Guildgate
2x Grisly Salvage
2x Gyre Sage
3x Lotleth Troll
4x Ordeal of Erebos
4x Ordeal of Nylea
2x Overgrown Tomb
2x Putrefy
2x Read the Bones
4x Slitherhead
10x Swamp

Sideboard
4x Illness in the Ranks

Link to deck @ TappedOut.net

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"

Eikre posted:

Scourgemark: The idea was to get devotion out of a cantrip, not activate Heroic. It is... not a very extraordinary card, either way. Switching Spectre for the Agent is almost certainly the right call, of course.

Underworld Connections?

oryx
Nov 14, 2004

Fun Shoe

Zoness posted:

A 3/3 is at least as good as 2 2/2's when swinging up against a Jace +1.

I'm not saying that you would never want to run Hammer; I'm saying it's a suboptimal card to have in your starting 60 with this deck. This is an all in deck. Hedging your bets just dilutes the power of the deck's game 1. Obviously there are scenarios where you'd want the hammer, but by default? I dunno.

quote:

True, but in this deck Purphoros is very likely he's a creature, especially if you've dropped the hammer. He also turns your top decks into even more 'extra gas'. I don't see how he wound't be in the conversation if you're looking for a red deck to get into a top-decking situation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Peepers
Mar 11, 2005

Well, I'm a ghost. I scare people. It's all very important, I assure you.

Here's something I'm in the process of throwing together:

Deck: Dimir Grind

//Creatures
4 Desecration Demon
4 Agent of the Fates
4 Triton Fortune Hunter

//Spells
3 Hidden Strings
4 Boon of Erebos
4 Triton Tactics
2 Mizzium Skin

//Auras
3 Scourgemark
4 Aqueous Form
4 Fate Foretold

//Lands
4 Watery Grave
4 Temple of Deceit
8 Swamp
8 Island

//Sideboard
4 Ratchet Bomb
4 Deviant Glee

Display deck statistics

The idea is to use heroic triggers to grind out card advantage with every non-creature spell in the deck, while Desecration Demon provides some much-needed reach.

Boon of Erebos and Mizzium Skin provides protection, Aqueous Form is only 1 CMC for a heroic trigger and relevant effect, Fate Foretold is a 2-for-1 even before it gets cashed in. Triton Tactics is just nuts in this deck and can even be used to untap a Desecration Demon to attack with. Hidden Strings is kinda like a sorcery-speed Triton Tactics that could potentially be a source of repeatable heroic triggers. The card I'm most waffling about is Scourgemark. It cantrips, but the actual benefit is so marginal and it's 2 CMC that I'm wondering if Deviant Glee wouldn't just be better in its place.

As far as the SB goes I'd probably want to run Ratchet Bomb to deal with token strategies but beyond that I'm just not sure. Disperse could deal with non-creature threats. The last 2 Mizzium Skins might be worth keeping around. I'm not sure how relevant Thoughtseize or Duress would be.

edit: Gift of Orzhova could be worth a few SB slots

Peepers fucked around with this message at 17:20 on Oct 1, 2013

• Locked thread