Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Malgrin
Mar 16, 2010
Great thread, Yeehaw.
I've done a good bit of editing on my bug deck. I'm not convinced that green is worth it in this deck, except Abrupt Decay really evens up the UW matchup (think detention sphere), and it gets good 1 for 1 value against aggro decks. Green also gives us more sideboard options. I completely forgot about Ratchet Bomb, while brewing this deck (it was like 1am, it happens). The Gaze is definitely too slow in some matches, and worthless in others, so I think it needs to go to the sideboard, which means that green can be significantly reduced, if kept for Abrupt Decay.
It's also possible this deck just wants to be UB. Here's my current test list:
http://deckstats.net/deck-2894377-7aa469e8737d955f8156b898b867f738.html

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Malgrin
Mar 16, 2010
Any standard MBC players out there? I'm working on a deck that should at least be fun to play. It's a little more midrange oriented than I normally prefer (at the end of last season, I was running a deck with close to 20 removal spells, including mutilate, crypt ghast, staff of nin, and griselbrand), but, you work with what you've got:

Deck: MBC

//Main
1 Erebos, God of the Dead
2 Whip of Erebos
2 Underworld Connections
2 Lifebane Zombie
4 Desecration Demon
3 Disciple of Phenax
3 Gray Merchant of Asphodel
1 Abhorrent Overlord
3 Liliana of the Dark Realms
2 Thoughtseize
4 Doom Blade
3 Hero's Downfall
3 Read the Bones
2 Rescue from the Underworld
20 Swamp
3 Nykthos, Shrine to Nyx
2 Mutavault

//Sideboard
2 Thoughtseize
1 Hero's Downfall
1 Underworld Connections
2 Lifebane Zombie
3 Ultimate Price
3 Pharika's Cure

Display deck statistics

Some thoughts...Disciple may not be all that great, or he could be amazing. As I don't have my sideboard fully rounded out, I may add one each of him and merchant.
I'm not sure 2 Thoughtseize belong main, but, it helps us keep our devotion going (by eliminating threats like supreme verdict or anger).

Malgrin
Mar 16, 2010
Did some standard testing today, and monogreen devotion seems to be a thing. My friend built a deck, and I'm convincing him to tune it some, but I think it should look something like this:
Monogreen Devotion
It was some really fun testing, and I threw three decks at it:
RDW
Esper
BWR

His deck held it's own against each of these, even against board wipes. We played a 5 game match with RDW, and RDW barely eeked out a victory, 3-2, but lost 1-2 to a normal match. Because we didn't have unlimited time, and sideboards are still sketchy, we didn't spend a whole lot of time working with sideboards.
We then realized we only had time to play 3 game matches, and he won the next two, 2-1, and 2-0, although there were some mana issues, especially once he started casting primordials.
In order to stabilize, I found I needed successive board wipes...so UWR would do quite well here. We need to formalize our sideboards, and get some more matches in, but I think it's a real deck moving forward.
It has some expensive cards to put together, but, overall, it's not too bad (deckstats puts it at $140 via tcgplayer).

Malgrin
Mar 16, 2010

Mezzanon posted:

I absolutely love the cyclonic rift idea, it's so obvious! I would cut the Tidebinder mages out of the sideboard, and one ętherling out of the man deck so far. Ętherling has done significantly less work than desecration demon and Ashiok.

I've been disappointed with Omenspeaker in UWx...but haven't straight UB. What are your thoughts of him?
Also, with Ashiok and desecration demon, I see no need for main aetherling. Maybe one in the board, but honestly, I like Ashiok a lot more.

Malgrin
Mar 16, 2010

Boxn posted:

Overall I've been unsatisfied with Grixis, even though I want it to work, the main downsides of it is that it has no amazing card draw like Sphinx, and no sweepers other than Mortars or Anger, although most matchups I lose at are where those spells don't work usually, or I 2-for-1 myself and still lose. Was pointed this out by one of the better players in the shop, and I'll take in is advice, and I'm considering to go Esper or 'Murrikan.

I've really been wanting to run UB or Grixis control, but, the lack of sphinx's rev and supreme verdict seems to make it not good enough. I wanted to make it to game day to test out Chapin's Orzhov, but didn't get the chance. I really like where it is situated right now, although Soldier of the Pantheon is less impressive in a mono-colored format. Still, Thoughtseize, Fiendslayer, Lifebane, and Sin Collector make games 2 and 3 very good against a lot of matchups.
Right now I'm focusing on RB, Esper, and WB. I really like the style of these three decks, and am really looking forward to this format. I thought I liked Thragtusk for awhile, and chose to play him instead of figure out how to beat decks that played him. It didn't really sink in until rotation just how oppressive he was to the whole format (plus Farseek, although tusk would've been almost as bad without it).
American control is good against devotion decks and hyper-aggressive decks, since it has more ways to sweep the board. You want to figure out if there are more aggro decks or more control decks in your area to figure out which would should be played.

Malgrin
Mar 16, 2010

YeehawMcKickass posted:

I have a confession to make. I went from Bant Hexproof last season to this. I'm constantly loving up decisions because I spent so long playing an autopilot deck. I don't even understand how I placed at a small FNM last week, much less had no match losses. I'm having fun doing odd things to people.

Other MURDERGOATERS, what's been the reaction of the people you've played against?

I'm eager to give the deck a spin, but didn't want to buy in on three Purphoros. Then I opened two on Saturday, so, I'm game. Any updates since v2?

Malgrin
Mar 16, 2010

BizarroAzrael posted:

Still figuring out if I have everything somewhat covered, but this is the list I ended up with:

Deck: Untitled Deck

//Creatures
2 Obzedat, Ghost Council
2 Blood Baron of Vizkopa
4 Desecration Demon
4 Sin Collector
4 Precinct Captain
4 Soldier of the Pantheon

//Artifacts and Enchantments
2 Whip of Erebos

//Spells
2 Read the Bones
2 Devour Flesh
3 Doom Blade
4 Hero's Downfall
2 Thoughtseize

//Land
4 Godless Shrine
4 Temple of Silence
9 Plains
8 Swamp

//Sideboard
1 Ratchet Bomb
1 Pithing Needle
1 Underworld Connections
2 Duress
1 Doom Blade
1 Erebos, God of the Dead
1 Blood Baron of Vizkopa
1 Obzedat, Ghost Council
2 Lifebane Zombie
3 Fiendslayer Paladin
1 Elspeth, Sun's Champion

Display deck statistics

Feel like I might miss the third draw spell maindeck (I've previously run 3 Read the Bones, here I'd add the Connections or Erebos from the side) Should this be okay against Blue Devotion? Plenty of removal but I was considering Profit // Loss or Illness in the Ranks. And I had a bad match against Esper planeswalkers at Game Day, so though about Merciless Eviction.

I honestly think this deck, in general, is the best deck in standard right now. As the meta shifts, we'll see. I don't like the two mainboard whips. I'd run at most 1. I'm currently running 0 main, 1 side. I think sin collector should be in the sideboard, as he's bad against enough decks. I'd up the Bones, removal is fine. I also like 3 Obzedat main, no BBoVs. I have 1 in SB.

Malgrin
Mar 16, 2010

BizarroAzrael posted:

I've seen a lot of versions of the deck only run one whip, but I don't think I get why. I thought two was ideal given that it was legendary, seldom (so far) target of removal and how much I want to see it drawn. I made a mistake and meant to have 2 Sin Collectors main, 2 sideboard for control. And I really like The Baron, since Black and White see a lot of play right now, I don't think I could run less than two. I ran four maindeck at a 40 player game day and came second, and with Whip recursion got a lot of value from them.

Yeah, it's entirely a meta call. BBoV is absurd when he's good, and meh when you run into a mizzium mortars deck every other round.
I also love 4 thoughtseize main. It's a way to handle a lot of decks you are otherwise weak against. I'm thinking about upping whips to 1 main, 1 board, especially since I'm going strong on Obzedats. You also just get so much value out of a dead demon.

Malgrin
Mar 16, 2010
Ok, I finally sleeved up murdergoats, save a couple purphoros (which are now much cheaper, and I'm fairly certain I can pick up). I'm ready to get on this goon train and ride it til the next set.

Malgrin
Mar 16, 2010
I've been getting some testing in against RG devotion with Murdergoats, and it's a tough match. You definitely need to go full control there. I'm curious what direction other control Murdergoats decks are looking like. I've been going back and forth over a few cards. For example, I love having a couple Akroan horses in there, as they start to take over games, but, I'm not convinced it's good enough against enough decks. I think just running 4 posts might be better (the latest build I was running 3 horses 2 posts). I generally tend to play more control like decks, so, my choices have skewed in that direction, but I'm wondering what choices other people have made. Here's what I think I want to be running right now (lots of control locally, so, pretty anti-control build).

Deck: Murdergoatfarmanimalsatanists

//Main
4 Blood Crypt
2 Rakdos Guildgate
12 Mountain
5 Swamp
4 Tymaret, the Murder King
4 Young Pyromancer
3 Purphoros, God of the Forge
4 Dreadbore
3 Lightning Strike
4 Molten Birth
4 Mizzium Mortars
3 Trading Post
1 Akroan Horse
2 Hero's Downfall
2 Rakdos's Return
1 Pithing Needle
2 Rakdos Keyrune

//Sideboard
2 Ultimate Price
4 Thoughtseize
3 Slaughter Games
1 Rakdos's Return
3 Pithing Needle
2 Rakdos Charm

Display deck statistics

Also, side note, someone mentioned hating underworld connections a page back or two. You can pithing needle it by naming the land they've targeted. Pithing needle says name a card, so you can name a swamp, and it will prevent non-mana abilities, in this case, the extra ability granted by underworld connections.

Malgrin
Mar 16, 2010

Man_alive posted:

I'm thinking of building an EDH deck, but not sure where to begin. I am leaning in the direction of Bant, though. Would I be best picking up the pre-con and then building from there, or is there a better way of doing it?

While not quite bant, the first deck I built was Bruna (UW), and it is a blast to play. Basically, you load up on enchantments and enchantment tutors, and then swing with Bruna. As always, there are some expensive cards, but loads of the cards you need are under $1. I took my old list and just cut out a bunch of the more expensive cards that aren't really necessary, here it is:
http://deckstats.net/deck-3320058-0ed5e31d8da18e898e035660b39a8a04.html
The other $10+ cards in there you should probably have for edh anyways (Divining Top, Enlightened Tutor, Avacyn). You could probably still skip colonnade and hallowed fountain if you don't already have those, and in general, while you can get really expensive in your land base, for a two color deck, you can do just fine with mostly islands and plains. I'd recommend cheap utility lands though.
There are a billion enchantments that are fun to play with, so see what works for you. I'd also put more mana rocks in this deck, I just haven't really updated/modified the deck in forever.

Malgrin
Mar 16, 2010

BizarroAzrael posted:

Was at a PTQ yesterday with Orzhov control, ended up on a string of 3 draws, and I hold that in events like that one draw is likely to lead to another, as you are more likely to be drawn against slow control players who always go to time. The problem, as I see it, is that in all three games I drew I played against other Blood Barons (mirror match and Esper control feat. wincons, and someone who nicked one of mine with Ashiok) who just keep running past each other whilst things go nowhere.

So I've started looking for solutions. One for one Desecration Demons can't race them, my only other option is one of 4 Devour Flesh.

One option is more sacrifice effect, and to my mind there's only Away (I think Agent of Fates might work but in a completely different deck). If I added blue to the full Far//Away fusion my be good, but if I've gone Esper there's all kinds of other things that should be in there, and maybe it should turn into a whole other deck. Blue also offers Hybridisation.

Mizzium Mortars is the only efficient answer to BBoV, that is, once he's on the board, which is why he's so drat good. Celestial Flare is especially good against him, since he's usually alone in attacking. Far // Away is a good answer. If you are casting just Far -- if he had mutavaults out or something -- it is a non-black spell, and can therefore target BBoV (this would be good right before thoughtseize or lifebane zombie). If you cast both halves of Far // Away, then it can no longer target him, although, you want your opponent to sac BBoV, so I don't know why you would do that.
I actually much prefer Far // Away to Devour Flesh in Esper Control. Worst case, you pay an extra mana for essentially no upside. Most of the time though, you get to deal with two creatures.

Malgrin
Mar 16, 2010

C-Euro posted:

Deck: MURDERGOATS

My initial instinct is to drop the Rakdos's Returns and maybe a Keyrune for them, I never seem to want to cast Return when I have it (would rather sac stuff with Tymaret or use some other activated ability with that mana) and I always draw the Keyrunes when my mana is fine (and then get gunshy about attacking with them for fear of losing a mana source). What do you think? I could also do something like this-

+2 Horse
-2 Return
//SB
-2 Pack Rat
+2 Return

Looking over your deck, I'd really recommend dropping the main board doom blades. Running into Mono black or BW control (Mono B plus BBoV) with that card just sucks. I also recently switched from Lightning Strike to Magma Jet, and think it's much better. Dropping the returns from your main is fine, I'm only running 1 main right now. I've been going back and forth on Horse, but, running trading post, horse, and purphoros leaves you with too many 4 drops. I'm running 2 Keyrunes, and I think 2-3 is the right number. I'd also recommend running ratchet bomb, either main or side. It's really good against a whole bunch of things right now.
I've also stopped running pack rat, as my deck is really a Rakdos control deck plus Purph, Pyro, Tymaret, and Post.

Malgrin
Mar 16, 2010
I've decided I would like to build murdergoats on mtgo, but I have about 70 tickets worth of cards I need to collect.

Edit: Moved to trading thread

Malgrin fucked around with this message at 19:48 on Jan 3, 2014

Malgrin
Mar 16, 2010

C-Euro posted:

I was actually coming to this thread with a question for that deck- do you find Horse or Post more useful in general? Right now I'm running 2 Horse/3 Post and considering flipping it; Post is more versatile but Horse gives you a creature every turn without requiring mana to do so, leaving it open to actually sac said tokens. I could go down to 3 Purphori and then go 3 each on Horse/Post but I reaaaally get nervous if I don't have a Purphoros in play since 2 damage for every creature has always been the surest path to victory in my experience.

bhsman posted:

Horse is easily my favorite of the two; Post has more options but nothing puts a frown on an Aggro player's face than Horse.

It really depends on your deck style and your meta. I've built mine into a control deck, and with all the removal, I don't have too hard a time against aggro decks. As such, I'm running 4 Trading Post with no Akroan horses. Against Green, Blue, and Black devotion decks, I would much prefer having post over Horse, although there is an argument to be had for the blue decks. Still, I like the options provided by Post. The downside of Post is that it requires mana and life to produce a goat every turn, whereas horse gives you a free token each turn for the same casting cost. Another thing to consider is that Horse dies to Verdict, while Post + Purphoros survive.
I'd recommend testing a 4/2 split of each, and see what you think. I would not play less that 3 Purphoros.

I'm also considering building a RWB control deck, playing Elspeth, Assemble, and Purphoros as win cons. I'll post that list once I've refined it a bit.

Malgrin fucked around with this message at 05:56 on Jan 3, 2014

Malgrin
Mar 16, 2010

bhsman posted:

We've talked about that a little bit, and I think the best option would be to just go R/W and use Barrage of Explosives as a sacrifice outlet in lieu of Tymaret. Having Assemble and Elspeth as an alternate win condition is certainly nice.

I need Dreadbore and Hero's Downfall (locally) far too much to drop black.

Malgrin
Mar 16, 2010
Just went 3-1 at FNM, felt quite good. Beat a BUG midrange deck (Reaper etc.), lost to GW aggro/pump, beat a UB agent of the fates deck (homebrew, cool concept, but, too many goats/elementals for that to be good), and then beat Turbo Fog/Maze's End.
I made some last minute changes to my deck. I've been in the control camp, and here's what it looks like right now:

Murdergoats

Some reasoning behind my changes. First, we have a lot of aggro, and I've found Anger of the gods in the board is absolutely necessary, especially when you're facing down t2 VoR, t3 VoR. GW is really hard for this deck, and even sometimes they just rootborn defenses out of it. I still am not sure how to beat that deck. Second, Chandra's Phoenix was incredible. I think I might replace 1-2 mortars with lightning just to increase recursion, and I want a fourth shock and a fourth phoenix in there, although I don't know what to cut. I also want another mutavault in there, probably as a 24th land.
I cut one Pyromancer from main because of the aggro matchup. I take him out for anger, and put him in against midrange and control matchups. Against control, I go into burn as fast as possible mode (plus hand disruption), and against midrange I just grind out with elemental tokens. I'm not sure this is the right strategy against control...thoughts?

Malgrin fucked around with this message at 08:59 on Jan 4, 2014

Malgrin
Mar 16, 2010

Mindisgone posted:

You just beat me to posting Chandra's Phoenix in this deck which I absolutely love. I checked out your list and right off the bat I would exchange those shocks for 4 lightning strikes and side board your pithing needle. Now with that I use the deck as more of a burn deck which is why I traded in my trading posts with guttersnipe and molten birth. My only problem is I have little room for removal but the dreadbore's and mortars are enough.

I think the Shocks are so much better than Lightning Strike. I've tested both, and the ability to deal 2 for one red is just so powerful. I've picked up a lot of wins off end step shock, cast chandra's for the win (that's 6 damage for 4 mana with a purph, and another 2 if you have tymaret off for end step sac).

Edit: I just realized that Anger is a beautiful solution to fiendslayer.
Also, the games I board in Anger, I board out Pyro. It sucks to lose a Tymaret, but it sucks to lose the game more. I also bring in Horse, and aim to grind out with that, Purph, and Trading post. With 8 board wipes, it's usually pretty good.

Malgrin fucked around with this message at 10:23 on Jan 4, 2014

Malgrin
Mar 16, 2010

a dozen swans posted:

I'd almost been debating using Anger of the Gods, I think I'll try out Jabor's suggestion of Street Spasm and see if it's any good. It's expensive but definitely very versatile, and I find that my games tend to run longer anyways.

Can't wait for the rakdos scryland and other BOTG goodies. If we don't get a way to remove enchantments I swear I'm going Jund.

I'm super excited to see what's coming from BOTG.
Isn't Street Spasm a worse Mizzium Mortars? I mean, at 4 mana, it deals 1 damage to non-flying creatures, at 6, it does 2. At non-overload, at 2 it does 1 damage to MM's 4. With a heavy red build, the triple red isn't so bad. The only advantage is against decks with tons of x/1s, but if that's your concern, there's Electrickery. I guess instant speed puts it above MM.

Malgrin
Mar 16, 2010
Well, I managed to build Murdergoats online. If you want to practice against it, shoot me a message sometime, name is also Malgrin there. Due to not wanting to drop another 8 tickets on Mortars, I've made some adjustments to the build I posted earlier. I traded for the essential pieces, and did a few substitutions, so here it is:
Murdergoats Online

I won't be on a whole lot today, but add me on there and if I'm online and not in a game, I probably want to play.
I'm actually liking the transition from MM to Lightning...although sometimes that board wipe is pretty important. I'm thinking I will pick up Anger for the sideboard...the matches where you want anger, Young Pyromancer isn't as good anyways. Yes, he produces chump blockers, but then you're just treading water. My sideboard is still being built, I want to see how this plays online before I spend time buying cards for the sideboard (e.g. do I really need to spend 20 tickets for a playset of thoughtseize?)

Malgrin
Mar 16, 2010

bhsman posted:

Yeah, though Horse is surprisingly resilient because it can't be targeted by stuff like Chained to the Rocks, Mizzium Mortars, and Banisher Priest, all of which are prevalent in my matchups and all of which that can get rid of the Reaver.

I once had a guy trying to pump Akroan horse so he could Selesnya Charm it. I beat him before that happened. There's very little removal that gets it. Doom Blade, Hero's Downfall, Dreadbore, Dimir Charm are the primary spells that do it, and of those, Hero's Downfall is the only one seeing a ton of play. Doom blade sees some sideboard play, but, MBC means it doesn't see much mainboard play. I play Horse sideboard, which means they almost certainly aren't going to bring in Doom blade against me (the creatures they'll see are Purph, YP, Tym, Phoenix, and tokens).

Malgrin
Mar 16, 2010

Jabor posted:

Don't forget Devour Flesh, which is actually quite a tempo swing when they're gaining life by killing something you spent mana and a card on.

Right, forgot that one. I also don't run Horse mainboard, and I bring it in to crush aggro decks. For the most part, I don't have to worry about Devour Flesh with Akroan horse, because even if they do bring in Devour Flesh for some reason, they're very likely to also have creatures on the board when I cast Horse. I guess this could be an issue against esper or wb aggro.

Wow. This new build is just brutal. I've played several matches so far, 2-0 in all but against GW, where I lost game 1 to a mull to 5 and multiple Voices. I really should trade for some Angers. The Annihilating fires and Akroan horses in the SB turned game 2 into a super long grind, and he conceded at ~30 life to my 10. I had purphoros, 10 mana, and 2 Trading posts in play. He also had a horse. Admittedly, my turns were taking a little long, what with saccing posts to draw cards, saccing soldiers to get trading post, recasting trading post, you know, the usual. He didn't want to play a 3rd game. Oh, the joys of making modo players angry.

Malgrin fucked around with this message at 00:57 on Jan 6, 2014

Malgrin
Mar 16, 2010
I'm working on Grixis Control, just to be a jerk at FNM. I definitely need to tweak it a bit, this is a near-first draft. It has two paths to victory, one is Seer beatdown, the other is Rakdos's Return + Liliana.

Deck: Grixis Control

//Main
4 Thoughtseize
4 Syncopate
1 Essence Scatter
3 Dreadbore
3 Cyclonic Rift
4 Izzet Charm
3 Hero's Downfall
3 Rakdos's Return
3 Far // Away
3 Liliana of the Dark Realms
4 Duskmantle Seer
4 Temple of Deceit
4 Watery Grave
4 Blood Crypt
4 Steam Vents
2 Izzet Guildgate
2 Rakdos Guildgate
3 Swamp
1 Island
1 Mountain

//Sideboard
4 Anger of the Gods
3 Mizzium Mortars
3 Duress
2 Gainsay
2 Dispel
1 Essence Scatter

Display deck statistics

I realize that Jace could go in here, but I'm tired of that style of control deck. Also, I traded away my Jaces. I might need a couple of those Angers in the mainboard, and I also might switch to devour flesh over far // away. I think RDW is going to be a pretty rough matchup, as will GW. Midrange/Control shouldn't be too bad. I'm also looking forward to an opponent flipping a GR fatty with Duskmantle Seer.
I also might move this slightly more in a burn direction, as that could be a better route to victory, and I may need a couple copies of Opportunity to finish games out. Thoughtseize main might be a no-go, due to the deck's weakness to aggro, but we'll see.

Malgrin
Mar 16, 2010

Boxn posted:

I searched the gatherer for that type of stuff in Grixis colors, the only good card is the Whip, every other creature with lifelink just have that along with flying or haste, other than that they aren't great at all, when you compare them to control cards like AEtherling that are amazing finishers in Control decks. They just aren't that great at all. Crypt incursion is a thing, but that's mostly a sideboard card that would be good against creature-heavy decks or mono-black. That's my two cents for it at least.

Pretty much. Whip is terrible in this deck, unfortunately.

OssiansFolly posted:

There are only a couple Black Lifelink creatures, but could you squeeze one in? (I think most of them are flyers)

I tried to post a Gatherer URL, but it's not working. You can search in the colors and add "Life" "Gain"
It's pretty slim pickings right now. I'd play Corrupt, but, too expensive. Crypt Ghast would be amazing, but he dies to shock.

Boxn posted:

Not him, but I've been trying a lot of variants of Grixis, and that's a problem I've ran into a lot - Grixis can't really stabilize like Esper can with Lifegain and sweepers (Magmaquake is a huge loss to Grixis imo), and it doesn't have raw card advantage like Sphinx. So unless BotG and JiN add some great stuff for Grixis, it'll only be a thing in Legacy/Vintage.

Pretty much. If we get Damnation, we'll be in great shape for a deck like this. I'm not expecting this to do well, I just like playing wacky decks for FNM (I'm also not preparing for any kind of Standard PTQ/SCG, so, I'm just playing to have fun).

OssiansFolly posted:

I'd be worried of going up against Murder Horse or anything that does a decent amount of direct damage...
But it is definitely a pretty decent deck. I'd be interested to see how it works tonite.

I would be terrified of playing against Murdergoats, but, I'm the only person crazy enough to try at my lgs.

Night Danger Moose posted:

Between shocklands, Seer, and Thoughtseize, with no lifegain, don't you think you'll be hurting yourself too much?

Yes, yes I will.

Malgrin fucked around with this message at 22:46 on Jan 10, 2014

Malgrin
Mar 16, 2010

legoman727 posted:

Alright, finally got all the pieces for Murdergoats together (for about 3 weeks till BotG). What's everyone's lists looking like? Not quite sure which variant to go for. Local meta's a pretty balanced mix of aggro, midrange, and control.

My meta is primarily aggro (I consider mono-black devotion to be half aggro, half midrange), with a couple of control lists floating around. Here is what I am using right now:
Murdergoats
I tweak it pretty much every weak based on what cards I thought were effective and which cards weren't. I'm still trying to figure out the best way to beat GW aggro, and Anger of the Gods goes a long way. It's also great against RDW. In those matchups, Young Pyromancer isn't great anyways, so we drop him for Anger. I've found that in the super fast aggro matchups, I have to play removal on t2, t3, and t4 to stay alive, and don't get Pyro out to start generating value. Instead, I want to hit Akroan Horse.

Malgrin
Mar 16, 2010
I've been doing some more Grixis testing, and here is my new list
It's actually fairly resilient, and I'm having a lot of fun playing it. I did not make it to last Friday's FNM, but I will be there this Friday, and will post my results and matchups. I'm still working on the sideboard, but thoughtseize is now there instead of mainboard.

Malgrin
Mar 16, 2010

Malgrin posted:

I've been doing some more Grixis testing, and here is my new list
It's actually fairly resilient, and I'm having a lot of fun playing it. I did not make it to last Friday's FNM, but I will be there this Friday, and will post my results and matchups. I'm still working on the sideboard, but thoughtseize is now there instead of mainboard.

2-2 tonight. First match, I beat a slower GW deck by a newer player. My first match loss was a slaughter by GW aggro/flash. He was on the play game 1, played double VoR, and then had Rootborn up for my t5? Anger of the Gods. If I had double red up for turn 3, I would have won that game. Game 2 I stabilized, but he managed to finish me off with a flash creature...I had Liliana in ult range, and just needed to draw a Rakdos's Return.
I then beat mono-blue devotion.
Second match loss was BW control, 1-2, and the first two games were very close, one for him, one for me. Game 3, he was on the play, and he got to thoughtseize t1, t3 sin collector, t4 sin collector, and the game was basically over.
We then played another round, with his mono-blue devotion, which I also beat, so unofficially 3-2 tonight.

Malgrin
Mar 16, 2010

OssiansFolly posted:

Also, I am curious why you run 4 Dreadbore but only 2 Hero's Downfall. I'd think it would be the other way around for speed of removal reasons.

Double black mana.

Malgrin
Mar 16, 2010

AlternateNu posted:

And realize that 3cmc vs 2cmc is half the cost of being able to sac a chump blocker for damage.

Yeah, but if it was 2B, or even 1RB (or 1(r/b)(r/b), I would run it over dreadbore.

Malgrin
Mar 16, 2010

YeehawMcKickass posted:

Practically every person I've played MURDERFARM against is afraid of getting hit by Anger of the Gods (which wrecks us even harder). Drown in sorrow is practically an auto include if you've got W/b humans running around in your meta. It kills the poo poo out of EVERYTHING they have.

Because of how much aggro we have locally, I've started running Anger in the sb, and I just trade it out with YPs. It works surprisingly well. It also combos well with horse.

Malgrin
Mar 16, 2010

bhsman posted:

I really like Anger. However, I feel like potentially exiling Tymaret is just too much. Drown still hits problem targets like Fiendslayer and Aristocrat, mana dorks, etc., but doesn't deprive the deck of future Murderking interactions/gyros (going by the discussion in the main MtG thread that watching MURDERGOATS be played is like watching Tymaret open up a food card that sells Greek fast food :v:). It even Scrys, which is great for tucking excess copies of Purphoros/unwanted lands, etc.

Oh yeah, post rotation, those will probably be drown. However, VoR is still scary.

Malgrin
Mar 16, 2010

bhsman posted:

Forgive me, but Yelp?
W/G is still very popular with the sub-competitive casuals (that's not intended as an insult) at my main store, so Voice pops up every now and then.

I dunno, there are a couple GW lists that go 3-1 and 4-0 pretty regularly at our store. It is a slightly less competitive deck...I guess I would put it and GR monsters at tier 1.5. Even so, it's a scary deck, and there are so many good cards that go in that archetype. On the plus side, Drown gets around rootborn defenses. I might try both to see which I like more. Drown has double black as a downside, and I do run a pretty red-heavy list.

Malgrin
Mar 16, 2010
Someone needs to make this hilarious combo work:
Elite Arcanist
Triton Tactics
Mana Dork
Phenax

Malgrin
Mar 16, 2010

a dozen swans posted:

Any reason not to just use the easier Elite Arcanist/Triton Tactics/Zhur-Taa Druid combo?

Mill combos are more fun?

Malgrin
Mar 16, 2010

Death Bot posted:

Doesn't this not do anything? Mana Dork and Arcanist tap to use tactics targeting themselves, Phenax does nothing? This is why Zhur Taa Druid was played, so that the dork would deal damage as well as supplying the mana.

Drop the dork and just have Phenax activate 5-6 times in a row with the mana you already have in play, milling what is probably all of their deck.

Triton tactics increases their toughness as well, and once you give them 25-30 toughness each, you tap both creatures to mill instead (using the ability that Phenax gave them). It's stupid, but I thought it was funny. It's a 4 card combo, which is much, much worse than zhur-ta, and just as flimsy of a combo. I was looking for ways to break a couple of the inspired creatures with triton tactics and elite arcanist, and stumbled on that as a (dumb) combo instead.

Malgrin
Mar 16, 2010

whydirt posted:

I have a deckbuilding challenge if anyone wants to flex their creative muscles. Basically what I'm looking for is the strongest possible 40 card singleton storm deck made up of only commons and uncommons.

After seeing LSV live the dream and go 3-0 with storm in the Holiday Cube, I wanted to incorporate it into my peasant cube experience. Instead of trying to shoehorn storm into the cube itself, which I don't think would work, I want to build a standalone gauntlet deck people can pilot in between rounds while other players are finishing their matches.

Here's an ad nauseam storm commander deck...I realize that's a rare, but pretty much anything you'd want to run in black would be in here:
http://forums.mtgsalvation.com/showthread.php?t=431489

Malgrin
Mar 16, 2010
Murdergoats strikes again!
3-1. Match 1, Maze's end/turbo fog, pretty easy win, 2-1. I flooded game 2, and made a couple misplays, which, while relatively minor, cost me the game (I would have been able to dome him for 4 -- Shock + Purph + YP -- while he was at 3 hp, it was a mistake with Trading Post/Purph vs. Riot Control). Instead he hit 10 guildgates and won.
Match 2, weird BW token combo/sphere of safety deck, steamrolled, 2-0.
Match 3, UW Control, 1-2. I need to figure out how to improve this matchup. One thought I've had is to put aggro in my SB so I can turn into an early RDW style deck post board, but I think that's not good enough. Either, way, tough match.
Match 4, sliver aggro, steamrolled 2-0.
Overall, I still love this deck. The only T1 deck I played I lost, but, I know we have a great Mono-blue matchup (yeah, Master has Pro. Red, but, we just don't let his devotion get above ~2). Mono-black is a little harder, but I feel like that's better than 50-50. WB control is much harder, thanks to Obzedat and/or BBoV being very hard to kill. Obzedat takes two burn spells (or Devour Flesh), and BBoV takes MM or double burn spell (or Devour Flesh). I only have one Devour Flesh though.

Malgrin
Mar 16, 2010

BLUNDERCATS! noooo posted:

The locals at my FNM are not super competitive, it's usually the same 8-10 dudes every week. I want a fun gimmick deck that can win-- I think Murdergoats or Defender Mill would be hilarious to use and I'm looking into both right now.

I've lost to: RDW, Mono Black Control, whatever that Master of Waves blue deck is that's really popular right now, and Azorious Heroic all today on Cockatrice using Murdergoats. Maybe I'm just getting bad draws but it just isn't fast enough most of the time to keep up with the damage I end up taking.

Also: I build budget decks so I'd probably have to run it without Gods or Shocklands. But the version I'm using on Cockatrice has both and still doesn't perform as well as I was hoping it was going to.

EDIT: vvv This version seems like it's more up my alley-- most of the other decks I've used have not been that creature-heavy. Gonna test it out a bit and see what changes BOTG might require

My Murdergoats stomps mono-blue, runs about 50-50 against mono black, and generally loses to Esper (although I can grind them out sometimes post board). RDW generally isn't a problem, as I pack too much removal for them to fight through.
Murdergoats
I've run this and variations of it at 3 FNMs, and have gone 3-1 each time. One of those my loss was to BW control (significantly harder matchup than Black devotion), and the other two I had my loss to esper. I've been toying with post born of the gods builds, and for this build, I think springleaf drum is not quite right (although it is great for the aggrogoats build), and I think Esper and Mono black are going to be more prevalent, making Phoenix less good. Here is what I think I will play starting next week:
BotG Murdergoats
If you want a budgetier version, Purphoros is the >$1 rare you can't forego. He ties the whole deck together and this deck is not great without him. Trading Post, Akroan Horse, and Tymaret are all very cheap and all very good for your deck. Dreadbores, MMs, and Downfall can all become other removal spells. You can play a couple of Doom Blades, more burn spells (Searing Blood, etc.) in place of those spells. Mutvault is pretty incredible in this deck, but he's the most expensive card in this list (as much as a playset of the next most expensive card), so I'm assuming you'll drop that, crypts, and temples. Rakdos Guildgates + swamps and mountains are fine.
For the sideboard, bring in Duress instead of thoughtseize (most of the cards you want to get are noncreature anyways, except for gods, aetherlings, and the like -- play Pithing needle as another, in fact better, way to deal with Aetherling). MMs can become something else, although there's still little else to answer BBoV. There's Away and Devour Flesh, but that's about it, unless you want to double burn spell him.
Murdergoats is a skill-intensive deck. Learning when to cast which spell/creature takes time and practice. Learning all the interactions between Post, Tymaret, and other creatures/spells also takes some practice.
I also just realized I forgot to put Ratchet Bomb in the above list. I will run 2 somewhere, probably a 1/1 MB/SB split.

Also, this:

OssiansFolly posted:

If you don't have Purphoros out on turn 4 or 5 you will be in trouble in most scenarios...its why I use Magma Jet instead of Lightning Strike to scry and control some.
If I have magma jet in hand, I make sure I can use it T2 to get what I need. Scry 2 is so much better than 1 damage in this deck, especially on T2. In the future, I plan on running both, unless I'm wrong and Phoenix doesn't get worse.
Also, Young Pyromancer isn't great against aggro, and he isn't amazing against control. Vs. control, sometimes I board him out, but if I don't, I hold him until I have a pile of mana and a Purph on board. Otherwise you'll lose YP and get no value out of him.
Another thing I remembered for playing this deck, against Detention Sphere, don't forget that you can sac its target to save everything else. So, if you have Tymaret/Post and 3 YPs, and they D Sphere one YP, sac that YP, and your other two live.

Malgrin fucked around with this message at 23:52 on Feb 3, 2014

Malgrin
Mar 16, 2010

BLUNDERCATS! noooo posted:

This rules man, thanks for this write-up. I'm going to test this out a bit and see if I can just trade up to the God with some crappy cards I don't need anymore!

No problem. There's a lot of stuff I left off, so here are some other things I thought about. With my current build, you get a lot of ways to use mana (although this is true for all builds too). First, if you have mana, tokens, and Tymaret, sac some at the end of the step. If you don't have a tymaret out, check for him in the graveyard at end step and return him if you can. Don't forget you can make a goat token with Post. Still need to do more with your mana? If you get two Posts out (or have post and another artifact -- e.g. ratchet bomb and don't need the counters), sac an artifact to draw a card, then use tokens to return it to your hand.
If you're playing Akroan Horse, don't forget that if you have Purphoros out, you get a trigger off Akroan horse etb, and then a second one for the first token. After that it's one Purph trigger per turn.
If you have more than about 6 lands out, you can pitch them to Post for 4 life in a race situation. Sometimes (although not often), this is more valuable than the 2 damage you can deal to your opponent.
Basically, this deck is a toolkit. Learn all the interactions between the different cards. The reason I run Chandra's Phoenix is that it gives you something extra if you have Tymaret, Phoenix, and no token generators available. You can sac Phoenix to Tymaret, burn your opponent to return phoenix to hand, then cast phoenix again. This is great if you have Purphoros out. Thinking of the God himself, don't forget you can pay 2R to give your creatures +1/0. This is sometimes worth it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Malgrin
Mar 16, 2010

OssiansFolly posted:

The only thing I'd add to this is to maybe sideboard the Slaughter Games. Also, I am a tad iffy on running a full 4 Purphoros. I know I said it is important to get him out early or you run into problems, but having 1 in your hand is good...having 2 in your hand is a waste. I just can't see myself running more than 3. I tried doing 4 for some time and I just had 2 in hand too often. This MAY change now that White has a couple cheap removal options for the gods now, but I will have to see what people near me are running while I look at BNG cards when I am opening my box this weekend.

When Detention sphere was the only removal I needed to worry about, I wasn't too concerned and started running 3 Purph and 2 ratchet bombs. Now that there is a two mana exile spell in white, I think four is necessary.
I also think it may be time to be 3 colors, so that we have an answer to xenagos. I will wait to see what happens, but white or green may be necessary. I would say run gild, except against us he usually won't be a creature against us. Doom blades in the sideboard may also be the appropriate response, since that will kill whichever creature he pumps. We have enough removal that he will rarely be a creature the turn he enters, but we do have to worry about the creatures he pumps.
Also, forgot to work pithing needle into my botg list. Minimum of 2 should be in sideboard.

Malgrin fucked around with this message at 18:21 on Feb 4, 2014

• Locked thread