Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
Still looking for a little more feedback on my mono-black idea for Standard, particularly in the sideboard where Lifebane is the only card that I'd for sure include:

Deck: The Rat Pack

//Lands
4 Mutavault
20 Swamp

//Spells
3 Dark Prophecy
4 Doom Blade
3 Hero's Downfall
3 Liliana of the Dark Realms
4 Read the Bones
4 Thoughtseize
3 Whip of Erebos

//Creatures
2 Abhorrent Overlord
4 Gray Merchant of Asphodel
2 Ogre Slumlord
4 Pack Rat

//Sideboard
4 Cremate
4 Dark Betrayal
4 Far // Away
3 Lifebane Zombie

Display deck statistics

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat
Also I was asking about Commander towards the end of the last thread and someone linked me to this EDH guide, which seemed pretty good to me even if it's a little old. It might be worth putting in the OP. My LGS is having a Commander free-for-all to "draft" a FTV: 20 in a couple weeks and I'm going to try building my first EDH deck so I can participate. How much will people hate me if my general is Crosis? Looking at my card stockpile he's probably my best Commander choice right now.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat

Pygmy Pyrosaur posted:

Crosis is an awesome general / color to be in. Seeing as how this is a tournament with a $$ Jace on the line, I wouldn't care about getting dirty looks, as long as you don't draw all of the table's ire at the same time you'll be fine. If somebody rolls in with a mono-blue permission deck, wait till you have nine mana for crosis + counter backup, hit him and name blue and the rest of the table will give you enough leeway for a few turns to practically place a crown of laurels on your head as game-winner. Grixis not having green can make mana kind of iffy unless you have 5+ fetches and shocks / original duals, so you'll probably want to go big with as many mana rocks as possible. I run Crosis, and named a couple of cards in my build in the last thread but I don't have a decklist. Try to play Academy Ruins + Oblivion Stone if possible (with Tolaria West and Fabricate to grab em - actually Muddle the Mixture and Grip of Phantasms are really good because transmute is dope and the latter can grab your early game Phyrexian Arena as well). Crosis' combat damage ability may be important enough to play Whispersilk Cloak. Play Mystical Teachings. I play Trinket Mage in mine so I can grab Artifact Lands for mana fixing, as well as the obvious Sol Ring / Top. Rite of Replification and Recurring Insight are really, really good in this format. Also Overwhelming Intellect. If you want to go balls-to-the-walls competitive, throw some extra turn effects in there. I run old-school Niv-Mizzet and Ophidian Eye in mine (as a win-con that can be partially tutored with Mystical Teachings; I also run an elixir of immortality so when I'm going off if my cards in library < collective life total of opponents I can dump my hand EoT and end it on the next upkeep, and I keep my Sensei's Divining Top out so they need two instant kills after untap to stop me). Pls wreck all of the faces, I can't sing the praises of Grixis EDH enough.

I don't think I own any of those cards :v: But I still want to try it, there are a few useful things that I did find on a first pass through my collection like Rhystic Study and Tsabo Tavoc (which seems pretty good in this format if you can get it out)

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat
Another idea that I had for Standard, maybe as gimmicky as my Pack Rats deck but a more consistent gimmick-

Deck: Wb "Stompy"

//Lands
4 Godless Shrine
14 Plains
4 Swamp

//Spells
4 Orzhov Charm
4 Path of Bravery
2 Spear of Heliod
4 Thoughtseize

//Creatures
3 Archangel of Thune
4 Fiendslayer Paladin
3 Frontline Medic
4 Precinct Captain
4 Soldier of the Pantheon
3 Tithe Drinker
3 Vizkopa Guildmage

//Sideboard
3 Brave the Elements
3 Blind Obedience
3 Glare of Heresy
3 Solemn Offering
3 Blood Baron of Vizkopa

Display deck statistics

My only big question is whether or not it would be worthwhile to squeeze Boros Reckoner in here somewhere.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat

Malgrin posted:

Any standard MBC players out there? I'm working on a deck that should at least be fun to play. It's a little more midrange oriented than I normally prefer (at the end of last season, I was running a deck with close to 20 removal spells, including mutilate, crypt ghast, staff of nin, and griselbrand), but, you work with what you've got:

Deck: MBC

I'm hoping to run monoblack this Standard season, but it's more aggro than control. If I can get motivated I might proxy up the missing parts and test out at the local GPT today. If you're more midrange then maybe you can get some inspiration from my list?-

C-Euro fucked around with this message at 02:45 on Oct 6, 2013

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat
Sorry to double-post, but I came up with a rough draft of a Crosis EDH deck I want to build-

Deck: Knockoff Crosis EDH

I'm just getting back into Magic in general and into EDH specifically so I don't have many of the format staples like Sol Ring or Top, and I didn't even have as many big creatures as I thought I would. My philosophy with this deck, then, was to simply borrow the good stuff that people play with cards like Confiscate, Psychic Intrusion, and Phyrexian Infiltrator (which combos well with Crystal Shard), or try to keep others from drawing/casting their good stuff. I also tried to include cards that got better with more players in the game (the different Lhurgoyfs, Beast of Burden etc. but I can't find my Syphon Minds :()

Is simply stealing what other people play a valid enough strategy for this format? Does it come across as having a good enough grasp of the format (for example, does the scaling up of cards like Magnivore with more than two players outweigh the prevalence of graveyard hate in the format?) I had a hard time cutting this deck down to 60 non-lands, which might be too many lands but my fixing isn't great either. I also don't have any really good sweepers, but one guy at my LGS runs a Norin the Wary deck that can generates a ton of 1/1s so I wanted a couple of light sweepers for that. Now that I'm back on a payroll I can maybe track down the EDH staples, so if there are Grixis-specific ones please let me know what they are. If it helps, my deckbox should have all my rares and uncommons and here are some of the last cuts that I made:

Red: Gratuitous Violence, Kumano, Possessed Barbarian, Shatter, Recoup
Black: Shadow of Doubt, Sengir Vampire, Repentant Vampire, Raise Dead (in favor of Morgue Theft), Diabolic Edict (in favor of Chainer's Edict), Barter in Blood
Blue: Possessed Aven, Brain Freeze, Lost in Thought, Web of Inertia, Propaganda, Telepathy, Daze, Opportunity
Other: Veilstone Amulet, Tower of Calamities, Urza's Armor, Angelheart Vial, Sculpting Steel (another "borrow stuff" card), Fireshrieker, Riptide Replicator

C-Euro fucked around with this message at 04:08 on Oct 6, 2013

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat

netcat posted:

Which will also make everyone hate you :v:

How much will everyone hate you for it? It's one of the few EDH staples I have so I almost feel as though I have to run it to stay competitive. I had thought about putting Telepathy in my deck to make everyone sort of love me but I have no idea if that would work.

E: Went to buy sleeves for my deck and picked up a couple Theros boosters for funsies. Cracked a Steam Augury and Bident of Thassa, are either of those worth running in my list?

C-Euro fucked around with this message at 22:05 on Oct 6, 2013

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat
What is the general strategy with Murdergoats? Make lots of tokens, kill with Purphoros' ETB trigger and Tyramet's sac ability? I kind of want to build it but my work schedule doesn't allow me to go to FNM ever :(

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat

MrBling posted:

Been brewing up some WRB mid-range for fnm.

Still fiddling with the removal ratios and if Read the Bones should be in the deck but this is the preliminary list.

Can't wait to Blood Baron some people though.

Deck: WRB

It's assholes like you that made Blood Baron double in price while I wasn't looking :argh: Looks like fun though, have you tried running another Whip to work in the Ghost Dad/Whipe fuckery that some people are talking about?

Also, re-quoting my Crosis deck from a few days ago to see if there were any other thoughts on it before I embarrass myself in this free-for-all on Saturday. Right now I'm trying to figure out if the following cards are worth including, and if so where: Recoup, Sculpting Steel, Riptide Replicator, Propaganda, Steam Augury, Shadow of Doubt, Daze. I'm thinking take out a land for Sculpting Steel and switch one counterspell out for Daze right now but who the heck knows.

C-Euro fucked around with this message at 06:33 on Oct 11, 2013

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat

inSTAALed posted:

Geez, I didn't realize that Nightveil Specter was an 8 dollar card now. I bought a playset in like May for a dollar just because I wanted to build "steal-your-deck-and-kill-you-with-it.dek"

Same, I wanted to run them in a scrub-league Esper Modern deck that I'll probably never actually build. I even got a foil one!

In other news, I played my first EDH event last weekend and my Crosis deck was dogshit compared to everyone else's (pieces of FTV:20 were up for grabs so I imagine a lot of people had their "competitive" decks in tow). I'm just getting back into the game and don't have a lot of great EDH cards, so I tried to make do with what I had as a control deck with some card-stealing effects to take advantage of the sweet cards in the format. This is what I played, with a couple of tweaks from cards that I picked up during the event-

Deck: Cheap Crosis EDH

Display deck statistics

My biggest problem was not being used to playing control and/or EDH and never knowing what to counter, remove, or steal, but another big problem is that I just don't have the good and/or big creatures to take me home. I was under the impression that the format would be slower than how it felt on gameday so I did err towards more fatties than I probably should have. Even so, I feel like I have too few creatures right now and without a detailed look at my stockpile I couldn't say what else to include, fatty or non-fatty. If I want to stick with the Grixis control idea, what are some worthwhile creatures or kinds of creatures to slot in here? Is it worthwhile to hang onto some or all of the stealing effects if I can get some more worthy creatures in here (I did cut a Persuasion after the event, since I never actually cast it when I drew it in the event). FWIW my store is doing a sealed tourney with the Commander pre-cons and I plan on picking up the Grixis one there, so while I don't know its contents I'm sure there will be stuff worth putting into my own deck. If you're brave enough to dig through my inventoried cards for advice, my Deckbox is here.

C-Euro fucked around with this message at 05:36 on Oct 15, 2013

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat
If you're only running one copy then I agree, especially if you're essentially ignoring the creature half of the card. If you were only interested in the scry part then you could simply replace it with another Read the Bones if you wanted, even.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat

BXCX posted:

Ooof, that's a lot of words, sorry if it's rambly.

Not at all, in fact I was thinking a few of the same things so it was nice to hear those thoughts not only re-affirmed, but also attached to actual cards. To answer one of your questions, I don't really know how competitive the playgroup is, since work prevents me from attending any sort of weeknight event there. Obviously with FTV: 20 cards on the line the winner was getting a Jace, so that was motivation enough to go all-out. The dude who won played a Momir Vig deck that won with a different infinite combo every round, but in between matches he also had a hilarious Norin the Wary + artifacts EDH deck he'd pit against people and he gave me some tips on things to include in my deck, so there's probably some hope for the group.

As for the budget, you're right that I pulled this together from cards I already had. Less-than-stellar creatures (thanks for the suggestions) and a cheap manabase do make it tough, but I knew I would replace those eventually. I was wondering about the graveyard hate though- everything I'd heard about the format was "bring at least one piece of graveyard hate because someone will try to do something tricky". However, that does rub against my own graveyard tricks with the Lhurgoyfs and others. Would it be worth it to just run Wretch for targeted graveyard removal in the event of a problem card, or is it not worth it to run one card for a given role?

Because it's an eternal format I'm willing to spend some money on the deck since the cards will always be playable, but with the new pre-cons coming I'm not in a rush to buy a bunch of cards until I know what I can swipe from a pre-con. I also need to stop trying to build for Standard and EDH AND Legacy (long-term) at the same time but that's another story :v: Thanks though, that was exactly the mix of "here are some deckbuilding ideas to use" and "here are some cards to use" that I was looking for to get a grip on the format.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat

Jimmeeee posted:

Hi all, I took the advice you posted about my MBC deck last week and made some changes to it. I also switched some things around based on the MBC decks that made top 8 this last weekend. The deck is hoping to keep opponents' threats off the board and then go crazy with Pack Rat, Desecration Demon, or Gray Merchant (or, in a perfect world, all three).

Feed the Animals

4 Pack Rat
4 Nightveil Specter
3 Lifebane Zombie
3 Desecration Demon
4 Gray Merchant
2 Erebos
=20 Creatures

4 Doom Blade
3 Hero's Downfall
2 Duress
2 Thoughtseize
4 Underworld Connections
2 Whip of Erebos
1 Liliana of the Dark Realms
=18 Spells

2 Nykthos
20 Swamp
=22 Lands

Sideboard
1 Lifebane Zombie
3 Pharika's Cure
2 Illness in the Ranks
3 Devour Flesh
1 Pithing Needle
3 Thrill-Kill Assassin
2 Ratchet Bomb

I'm a fan of this list, I have something similar that I've been meaning to build that I posted earlier. It's more focused around Pack Rat but if I get serious about building it maybe that will change? I'm also running Dark Prophecy for an extra bit of devotion and for an auto-refill whenever a Pack Rat token dies. Here it is, though I want to switch a few things around, like maindecking the Zombies and SB-ing the Slumlords and a Lili for starters. The SB sucks in general and needs work, I guess. The list is from before monoblack caught on so I have to look and see what parts I can steal from proven decklists.

Deck: Untitled Deck
Display deck statistics

Also holy poo poo, when did Hero's Downfall go over $10?

C-Euro fucked around with this message at 04:12 on Oct 23, 2013

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat

Veyrall posted:

I'm putting together a Wizard tribal EDH deck to have fun with some friends. My only ground rules are no hard counters (things like Mana leak are fine, Counterspell is not) and no locking people out of playing the game (i.e. no Capsize shenanigans). Anyone got any tips on Blue or Red cards that are essential in EDH that aren't also on-theme?

If it's a Wizard tribal deck then Ixidor's Will will almost always be a hard counter while not technically being a hard counter. Other than that running lots of spell copying/altering/stealing effects seems very wizardly to me.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat
I haven't made much progress on my Standard Pack Rats deck since I first designed it, and with Monoblack Devotion catching on I thought I might try to mix the two together. If nothing else, it somehow came out a little less expensive to make-

Deck: Mono-Rat Devotion

//Lands
2 Mutavault
2 Nykthos, Shrine to Nyx
20 Swamp

//Spells
2 Dark Prophecy
3 Doom Blade
2 Duress
3 Hero's Downfall
3 Liliana of the Dark Realms
2 Thoughtseize
1 Underworld Connections
3 Whip of Erebos

//Creatures
2 Abhorrent Overlord
1 Erebos, God of the Dead
4 Gray Merchant of Asphodel
2 Lifebane Zombie
4 Nightveil Specter
4 Pack Rat

//Sideboard
3 Dark Betrayal
2 Duress
2 Devour Flesh
3 Pharika's Cure
2 Thrill-Kill Assassin
1 Lifebane Zombie
2 Ogre Slumlord

Display deck statistics

Some notes/questions:

-Nightveils instead of Desecration Demons because I already have a playset of Nightveils. I'd be more happy to mix them if I can pick up a Desecration Demon or two.

-I have no idea if Dark Prophecy is better than more Underworld Connections here but I really want it to be. Not only is it extra devotion but it combos really well with Abhorrent Overlord.

-Three Whips or two? I've seen some lists that only run two but I have enough good ETB triggers in this deck to merit another copy I think (not to mention whipping a Pack Rat into play, copying it, and then being able to make more Rats once the original card is exiled)

-Not sure what to do with the sideboard, I mixed my old SB with lists that were out there. Ogre Slumlord is a (maindeck) holdover from the old Pack Rat deck but I think he might be good against sweepers and dudes that I can't kill with spells or non-deathtouch combat damage. Maybe I just run more Thrill-Kill Assassins if I need to block big guys though, especially now that I've moved a little bit away from the rat theme.

-Speaking of the sideboard, I used to have Far//Away as my sac card instead of Devour Flesh. Might it be worthwhile to run a Temple of Deceit or two for both draw-fixing and to be able to cast both side of that card?

Any other feedback would be welcome, now that I'm working and earning a paycheck I can actually build this instead of just talking about it :v:

C-Euro fucked around with this message at 06:45 on Oct 25, 2013

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat

Coucho Marx posted:

Really, just run BBD's Devotion and drop one card for a third Pack Rat or something (he has a third in sideboard anyway). Dark Prophecy I feel is worse than UC because we can't choose when to draw. Of course it goes will with Overlord, but that's a very late combo and you run the risk of it killing you if you get Supreme Verdicted or something. I think you might miss Desecration Demon because it's such a game-warping creature on T4 - they have to deal with it fast, and Pack Rat is easier to 'keep up with', at least until you pass six mana or so.

Aw, I was hoping not to just copy some other guy's list but I'll check it out. Is it just on MTGtop8 or something? Phone posting so I can't easily check.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat
Well if it just won a GP then that's a different story I suppose :v:

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat

BizarroAzrael posted:

Anyone have an opinion on adding Solemn Offering to an Orzhov midrange sideboard? I was originally looking at Glare of Heresy to deal with Detention Sphere, Assemble the Legion and Elspeth, but realized I have Downfall for Ellie, and Offering lets me deal with stuff like Hammer, enemy Whips, Boon Satyr, and any other annoying enchantments I've forgotten, as well as Trading Post, which I believe is central to MURDERGOATS?

On that topic, is there a primer on 'Goats in the thread somewhere? I know it plays around Murder King traipsing around between 'field and 'yard, and that Trading Post helps play off that by making tokens and getting stuff back from the 'yard for sarifice, but I don't feel I understand the mechanisms yet. Is it purely a Goon thing or has it seen serious play yet?

I had it in the SB for the Orzhov midrange I wanted to build for a little while, but that deck also had some cards that cared about lifegain like Archangel of Thune or Vizkopa Guildmage so it was a little more thematic there. I also had Glare of Heresy in the SB though.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat

My only problem with a mono-white deck like this is that there isn't really a devotion enabler in white like you have in other monocolored decks right now like black or blue. In fact, unless I goofed the search syntax (a distinct possibility) there's two whole white cards in Theros that care about devotion and you're already running one of them. That said, with the number of global creature buffs you have here it might be worth it to try out the other white "devotion matters" card (Evangel of Heliod), I know it costs 6 but running a few and dropping one with a Spear and/or Path out is a huge problem for your opponent.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat

YeehawMcKickass posted:

My experience with thoughtseize was that the early life loss ended up being extremely relevant. Super small sample size though.

Is this just a Murdergoats- or aggro-specific thing? I'm trying to build mono-black which is more midrangey and I'm trying to figure out if I can do 2 Thoughtseize/2 Duress main instead of a playset, as a cost-cutting measure since I probably won't take this outside of FNM. Then again, mono-black has some good lifegain effects so it probably doesn't matter there.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat
Someone tell me why I should ditch my monoblack plans and build Murdergoats instead, I don't have a ton of cards towards monoblack but those that I do are either worth something (Nightveil playset which I may end up keeping anyway for a janky Modern deck) or will go into Murdergoats anyway (1 Thoughtseize and 1 Mutavault, which I think I've seen in a couple lists).

E:

YeehawMcKickass posted:

I JUST started screwing with this and it's likely to change a few times over the next hour or so: http://deckstats.net/decks/107/35329-murder-goats-v2-5

edit: ohey I have no tickets online and pack rats went up to over 1 tix. go figure.

Is this still the list that you use or have you tweaked it since? Have you had a lot of success running Pack Rat?

C-Euro fucked around with this message at 05:42 on Nov 1, 2013

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat

xK1 posted:

Although if you want to win more consistently, I'd stay on the mono-B track. When it works, MURDERGOATS is a ton of fun (I'm definitely taking it to FNM tonight), but it's not a top tier deck by any means.

Eh, I'd be shocked if I took this to anything bigger than FNM or a simple lunch break bout at work, so I'm more than happy to take a few more losses in exchange for saving $100+ on the cost of construction. And even then my current work schedule makes it really tough to attend FNM so it's debatable whether or not I should build anything to begin with :v:

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat

Boxn posted:

EDIT: Cyclonic Rift is also neato as hell if you need a board sweeper, really useful.

I'll second Cyclonic Rift, being able to cast it as either targeted removal or a one-sided sweeper is incredibly handy.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat

netcat posted:

I want to cast Death Cloud in Modern. How can I achieve this dream?

It's Modern-legal so I guess you just do it with black mana? Unless you're looking for something like a Modern MBC decklist, in which case I'm not sure. mtgtop8.com has this one from a recent event, seems like Death Cloud could fit in there and it goes along with the theme (the deck even runs Smallpox already)

E: Are there any minotaur decks in standard right now? I was talking to a co-worker the other day and he mentioned that he's putting together a BR Minotaur deck and asked me if it would be better to splash green (for Golgari stuff and combat tricks) or white (make it easier to cast his Reckoners, plus some WR minotaur that makes tokens). I told him green but also said to get BTE and Fanatic of Mogis in there, which I don't think he had thought of. Is anyone else running with the bulls in standard, so to speak?

C-Euro fucked around with this message at 01:38 on Nov 3, 2013

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat
I'm not sure if you have enough permanents to make Nykthos worth it, nevermind running it in a two-color deck. If you have them that's great, but if you don't then I wouldn't make the effort to track them down.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat

Boxn posted:

I need some advice on this EDH deck I'm working on, with my new favorite commander, Nekusar. It's just a traditional bear hug deck, along with some discard outlets so my opponents will be damaged even more. I don't know if it's too gimicky though, and I'll be playing it against 4 other EDH decks I'm building from the pre-cons (Oloro, Rhoon, Prossh, and Marath), which I'll include later on for reception of how they are. Would this do well even without the whole draw-discard pain plan? Or does it need something else?

Deck: Nekusar the Papist

This is a pretty sweet deck but if I were you I'd look into some way of protecting or easily recurring Nekusar, since the whole deck revolves around getting your opponents to draw too many cards and he makes all of those effects that much better. In fact it almost seems like you have too many effects for making your opponents pitch and draw cards, but maybe these decks want to win as quickly as possible?

The on-color Lhurgoyfs, or any card that counts the number of cards in graveyards (like the more recent Nighthowler) seem like good ideas to include. I run a Crosis stealing/discard deck that has them and considering how many extra cards your opponents will be drawing (and thus forced to discard) they seem like they could get huge.

E: I may steal this decklist and build it if I ever get bored of Crosis, it seems like a lot of fun.

C-Euro fucked around with this message at 03:07 on Nov 7, 2013

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat
I got bored at work today and started brewing up a GW EDH deck revolving around tutoring tons of legendary cards with Captain Sisay as a commander. After getting home and looking at the legendary cards that identify as green and/or white, I have a very rough draft of what I want to run-

Deck: Captain Sisay
Display deck statistics

The idea is to have a toolbox of legendary stuff on one hand, and to call up the big guns when I don't have threats that require a response. I left off some of the pricier cards that seem like auto-includes (Karakas, Iona, Linvala) so that I don't psych myself out, but how is this as an idea? I went kind of creature and equipment-heavy, is there an obvious one I missed? I'm sure I'll end up cutting a few of them to make room for more traditional green and white EDH staples, so let me know what you think. The sheer volume of basic lands is also just a filler until I remember what other useful lands/duals there are.

C-Euro fucked around with this message at 05:58 on Nov 8, 2013

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat
Glad to see people reacting positively to the Sisay deck even if it's just a concept, I might axe my Modern/Legacy building plans and work on that instead. Also I just traded away my Jareth right before thinking of this idea :negative:

BXCX posted:

I've been working on putting together a Wishboard for my Trostani EDH deck using Golden Wish and acquiring a lot of good equipments in the process, so I thought I would make half a deck I could just pull out half and plug in a new half to have a different deck so I could smash face instead of durdling around with tokens every once in awhile. I haven't updated my Trostani list in awhile, but it's about 50 cards different from this (Mostly the lands and staples carry over):

Deck: Sigarda Voltron

Display deck statistics

I've never run a Voltron list, I'm worried I'm going overboard with the euquipments a little bit. I might also throw in a City of Solitude to stop combo decks from loving around at other people's EoT

You went so overboard with equipment that you forgot to include your general :v: Unless this was meant to just be a list of stuff going into an eventual Sigarda deck.

E: Is Elbrus, the Binding Blade legal in a GW EDH deck? When it transforms it's a black creature, but it has no black mana symbols which I thought was the line in the sand for determining legality for EDH. Honestly it might not be good enough to play in the final 100 but it's hilarious to think about, especially in a multiplayer format.

C-Euro fucked around with this message at 05:28 on Nov 9, 2013

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat

Mikujin posted:

That's not really a problem if you're trying to make something that wins. :colbert:

Yeah, as controversial as the idea is my LGS does EDH stuff for prizes on occasion, so being able to hold my own against venserartifacts.dec and the like would be nice. Plus there's probably a dude out there who bought a ton of Kamigawa and regretted it when history trashed that block, and I can make his day by taking a bunch of those cards off him (seriously a quarter of that deck is Kamigawa block which I think is funny for a format that includes all sets).

Also the last time I saw a Momir deck, he won four rounds with four different wincons so it's not always the same build order for these decks :colbert: And I'll always have my Crosis "kill/mill/steal" deck for wacky EDH times.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat
:regd08:

Deck: Murdergoats

//Lands
4 Blood Crypt
11 Mountain
2 Mutavault
2 Rakdos Guildgate
4 Swamp

//Spells
3 Doom Blade
3 Dreadbore
4 Lightning Strike
4 Molten Birth
3 Rakdos Keyrune
2 Rakdos's Return
3 Trading Post

//Creatures
3 Pack Rat
4 Purphoros, God of the Forge
4 Tymaret, the Murder King
4 Young Pyromancer

//Sideboard
2 Electrickery
2 Pithing Needle
2 Thoughtseize
3 Rakdos Charm
3 Ultimate Price
3 Slaughter Games

Display deck statistics

Haven't finished building this yet but I based it off of "averaging" a few MURDERGOATS lists I had seen as well as what cards I had left over from my aborted Monoblack Devotion plans.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat

Yegor posted:

I've decided to build a commander deck to use on MTGO, but before I buy all the cards I wanted to see if anyone here could give any insight. It's a gimmick deck based solely around one drop creatures.

http://tappedout.net/mtg-decks/one-mana-wonder-crew/

There are some cards I know would help the deck such as Reveillark and Ranger of Eos, but I'm sticking to my restriction. Other than that any helpful inclusions or exclusions would be appreciated.

Also can someone give me a link to a site that helps find cards/prices for MTGO? I don't want to be spending too much on this as it's only a side thing.

Yeah, it's a cool idea but way too weak to the large amount of mass removal floating around the format. Straight aggro in general doesn't work in EDH, when you have multiple players to kill and everyone starts at 40 life (and I say this as someone who like aggro in general). You're going to run into a lot of games where you empty your hand early on and spend the rest of the game in topdeck mode as soon as someone drops a Wrath or Oblivion Stone. If you really want it to work, drop the creature count a bit and get more protection and/or recursion in there.

C-Euro fucked around with this message at 23:35 on Nov 10, 2013

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat

Yegor posted:

Yeah I figured as much. I tend to put more thought into what would be fun before what would be effective. Like I said I have none of this built yet so no loss. Another idea of mine was to have a deck that forced attacks and punished attacks with stuff like Goblin Diplomats and Lightmine Field. America colors I think would be ideal. Think it'd be an okay deck?

That might be a good second half of a Voltron deck (attack with one creature that's stacked to hell and back with Auras and Equipment), so that you can dodge the effects of some of those cards that punish attackers. I don't know if BRW is the right colors for that though.

E: And it's not that aggro with tiny creatures isn't viable in EDH, it's just that it usually involves an infinite combo with something like Krenko (which I've seen) or Marrow-Gnawer (haven't seen but would love to see a decklist, if someone has one). So you don't need stuff like Glorious Anthem when you can make a million tokens :v:

C-Euro fucked around with this message at 02:06 on Nov 11, 2013

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat
Good news: I spent some time pondering my Crosis EDH deck and buying singles for it, and now it seems a lot more coherent in its theme of stealing/copying everything along with a mill/discard subtheme to help that out-

Deck: Crosis, the Kleptomaniac

Display deck statistics

Bad news: I got a little carried away with buying and trading singles for this deck and I have a few cards en-route to me that I don't know how to fit in here-
Butcher of Malakir
Nighthowler
Diluvian Primordial
Lazav, Dimir Mastermind
Fleshbag Marauder
Cabal Conditioning

Any thoughts on how to fit those (or on the deck as a whole)?

C-Euro fucked around with this message at 13:30 on Nov 13, 2013

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat

Sharzak posted:

I'm trying to key in on effective three-color synergies and while it's not my favorite in terms of fun and weird stuff, I do think red/white/black has the potential to be highly, highly effective in the current metagame.

To wit:

4 Blood Crypt
4 Godless Shrine
1 Mountain
3 Plains
4 Sacred Foundry
2 Swamp
1 Temple of Triumph
3 Temple of Deceit

// Creatures
4 Boros Elite
4 Boros Reckoner
3 Daring Skyjek
3 Desecration Demon
3 Imposing Sovereign
2 Obzedat, Ghost Council
4 Rakdos Cackler
4 Rakdos Shred-Freak
4 Soldier of the Pantheon

// Spells
4 Boros Charm
3 Dreadbore

adding Black in this meta opens up lots of options for extra speed, extra removal, and extra inevitability. The real superstars here are Desecration Demon and Dreadbore--Boros Charming for doublestrike after dropping a Demon will be curtains for most decks. Gonna get some flak for Obzedat since he's hard to cast and arguably doesn't fit but he's one of the best finishers in the format. I'm looking for something that's gonna be a little bit better in the maindeck vs the G/R Devotion deck and I don't think he's it. Would love input on that and anything else.

I can't remember who it was but someone posted a pretty cool-looking BWR midrange list towards the end of the last thread. I'd try to dig it up but for the moment I seem to remember far fewer creatures and a few Blood Barons in it.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat
Last summer someone mentioned seeing a Modern deck at their LGS that snuck Emrakul into play early on with Descendant's Path and some creature type tricks. A few of us brainstormed briefly and came up with this list, which I had forgotten about until recently-

Deck: Emrakul's Path

//Lands
1 Breeding Pool
8 Forest
4 Island
4 Mutavault
4 Plains
1 Temple Garden

//Spells
4 Congregation at Dawn
4 Descendants' Path
4 Path to Exile
4 Remand
4 Serum Visions

//Creatures
4 Birds of Paradise
4 Drift of Phantasms
2 Emrakul, the Aeons Torn
4 Nest Invader
4 Noble Hierarch

Display deck statistics

Any ideas on how to improve this, outside of maybe more shocklands? I never built it, I can't tell if it's consistent enough to work well but as a fake Sneak & Show for Modern it might be goofy enough to try if you're not in any super-competitive event. Thoughts?

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat
I was explaining MURDERGOATS to a coworker today and he dropped some tech on me with Massive Raid. Considering the amount of tokens you can make, has anyone tried running this?

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat

bhsman posted:

Anyone have any success with MURDERGOATS tonight? :shobon:

I proxied up the few cards that I'm missing and am taking it for a spin against a co-worker at lunch today, but he's playing a BR Minotaur tribal deck that he confesses isn't very good so we'll see what useful info I get out of it. I'm also not that good at actually playing Magic, but goldfishing with the filled-out deck last night was hilarious.

E: Here's the list. I've thought about Dark Betrayal in the SB as well as Massive Raid (anti-sweeper tech), but I have no idea what my local meta is like-

Deck: MURDERGOATS

//Lands
4 Blood Crypt
11 Mountain
2 Mutavault
2 Rakdos Guildgate
4 Swamp

//Spells
3 Doom Blade
3 Dreadbore
4 Lightning Strike
4 Molten Birth
3 Rakdos Keyrune
2 Rakdos's Return
3 Trading Post

//Creatures
3 Pack Rat
4 Purphoros, God of the Forge
4 Tymaret, the Murder King
4 Young Pyromancer

//Sideboard
2 Electrickery
2 Pithing Needle
2 Thoughtseize
3 Rakdos Charm
3 Ultimate Price
3 Slaughter Games

Display deck statistics

C-Euro fucked around with this message at 13:38 on Nov 23, 2013

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat

C-Euro posted:

I proxied up the few cards that I'm missing and am taking it for a spin against a co-worker at lunch today, but he's playing a BR Minotaur tribal deck that he confesses isn't very good so we'll see what useful info I get out of it. I'm also not that good at actually playing Magic, but goldfishing with the filled-out deck last night was hilarious.

Update on this: Lost the first game when I ran out of steam, won the second game by the skin of my teeth, and then we decided that neither of us wanted to be at work anymore :v: Maybe I was just unlucky but the combo seems really reliant on having two of Purphoros, Young Pyromancer, and Tymaret out at any given time, which I think I only had for a turn or two even with full playsets of each card. My big problem was that I had no idea what to do during combat, and I would often be way outgunned and out of removal. Maybe that's the nature of my opponent's deck but I felt like simply chumping with tokens was taking away from the wincon of saccing them with Tymaret. I might maindeck a little more removal and/or put something like Mizzium Mortars in the sideboard for such an occasion, it seems like the deck wants to avoid facing down a lot of creatures. Any ideas on how to not psych myself out against combat-heavy decks?

As a side note, BR Minotaurs might be a deck to watch out for depending on what gets printed in Born of the Gods. Kragma Warcaller is pretty drat effective, and don't forget that Reckoner is a Minotaur that can be cast with only red mana. I might just suck though, it was my first time playing the deck and as I said previously I didn't know what to do in a lot of cases, especially combat. I can get a list from him on Monday if people are curious, from what I saw it probably goes something like this-

4x Deathbellow Minotaur
4x Minotaur Skullcleaver
4x Rageblood Shaman
4x Kragma Warcaller
4x Boros Reckoner
4x Duress
4x Lightning Strike
4x Doom Blade
3x Hammer of Purphoros
Molten Primordial?
Lands

I told him a while back to get a playset of Fanatic of Mogis, luckily I didn't see any. His big complaint is that it's too slow, but I guess I don't know how I'd fix that other than maybe BTE (which I already suggested)

C-Euro fucked around with this message at 05:59 on Nov 24, 2013

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat

a dozen swans posted:

A few tips: unless their creatures have trample, you can declare your chump blockers and then fling them with Tymaret. You take no damage, they take two. And don't be afraid to attack with tokens, either: Purphoros' mass firebreathing is nice. Mizzium Mortars is a good choice as well.

Pretty sure this doesn't work anymore now that combat damage doesn't use the stack, unless there's some other interaction that I'm missing?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat

Cactrot posted:

After declaring blockers but before damage is assigned you have an opportunity to cast spells or activate abilities and blocked attackers will remain blocked even if the blocker is removed.

So if the blockers aren't around anymore, how are the attacking creatures still blocked?

• Locked thread