Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mikujin
May 25, 2010

(also a lightning rod)

I have a buddy who really enjoys playing Dimir, and wants to bring a control-y list to game day. He put together a glob of cards that didn't use enough permission/removal, because he was really hellbent on playing Agent of the Fates + Hidden Strings to try and be cheeky.

I modified his list to try and strengthen the core of his theme (removal and permission). Managed to keep his Nightveil Specters in there for funsies.

Deck: Dimir Control v2.0

//Land
4 Watery Grave
4 Temple of Deceit
4 Dimir Guildgate
5 Swamp
9 Island

//Creatures
2 Ętherling
4 Nightveil Specter
3 Returned Phalanx

//Planeswalkers
2 Ashiok, Nightmare Weaver
2 Jace, Architect of Thought

//Instants
4 Doom Blade
3 Far // Away
3 Psychic Strike
3 Dissolve
2 Triton Tactics
2 Cyclonic Rift
2 Syncopate

//Sorceries
2 Read the Bones

Display deck statistics

I goldfished it a bunch and didn't really ever have any terrible hands. Holding up T2 Syncopate on the play or being able to respond with T2 Phalanx on the draw actually felt pretty solid, and I held back Nightveils in favour of holding up permission/removal on T3-T4. Incidental Scry on the temples and on Dissolve went a long every time. Definitely felt like I could use something a little more to smooth draws/get more card advantage, since Read the Bones - while good - isn't enough. That said, I could definitely see dropping T3 Specters against opposing control decks and having it be really good. Ashiok has been pretty solid in every playtest I've run him since at his absolute worst he's 1UB gain 5 life in a control deck. Jace also gets to serve double-duty being a continued stall while you wait for answers OR digging for your answers.

Not even sure what this sort of things wants in a sideboard.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mikujin
May 25, 2010

(also a lightning rod)

Easy to put this all together with what I've got kicking around, here's RDW from Owen Turtenwald with a couple minor tweaks:
Deck: Red Deck Wins

//Land
18 Mountain
3 Mutavault

//Creatures
4 Foundry Street Denizen
4 Rakdos Cackler
4 Firedrinker Satyr
4 Burning-Tree Emissary
4 Gore-House Chainwalker
4 Firefist Striker
2 Goblin Shortcutter
3 Chandra's Phoenix

//Spells
4 Lightning Strike
4 Shock
2 Hammer of Purphoros

Display deck statistics

The only noticeable change to his original list was: -1 Mutavault, -1 Chandra's Phoenix, +2 Hammer.

Hammer really is a nice drop to keep pressure running, since with Hammer + any non-creature in your hand you can Hammer, then drop your dude and pretend you played him last turn. And since most of your draws will be dudes, you'll likely have grabbed another cheap guy to cast and swing. My favorite thing so far has been topdecking BTE with Hammer on the board and using the free mana to turn a land into a dude to get 5 power of haste guys down to swing.

Thoughts?

E: Alternatively, could drop down to 2 x Phoenix in favor of the Hammer, and keep the Mutavaults in. Post-wrath Vaults can get some work done without relying on topdecking burn just to get them back in play, and it's removing another card equally high on curve.

Mikujin
May 25, 2010

(also a lightning rod)

C-Euro posted:

Another idea that I had for Standard, maybe as gimmicky as my Pack Rats deck but a more consistent gimmick-

Deck: Wb "Stompy"

//Lands
4 Godless Shrine
14 Plains
4 Swamp

//Spells
4 Orzhov Charm
4 Path of Bravery
2 Spear of Heliod
4 Thoughtseize

//Creatures
3 Archangel of Thune
4 Fiendslayer Paladin
3 Frontline Medic
4 Precinct Captain
4 Soldier of the Pantheon
3 Tithe Drinker
3 Vizkopa Guildmage

//Sideboard
3 Brave the Elements
3 Blind Obedience
3 Glare of Heresy
3 Solemn Offering
3 Blood Baron of Vizkopa

Display deck statistics

My only big question is whether or not it would be worthwhile to squeeze Boros Reckoner in here somewhere.

My first thought seeing this list is that 23 land is probably where you want to be, since 22 seems just a touch light when the bulk of your non-removal cards are 3 drops.

Mikujin
May 25, 2010

(also a lightning rod)

oryx posted:

I hate to be a downer, but it seems like you basically side-boarded with his deck? Did you make any changes to the sideboard?

I'd guess the reason that Hammer's in the sideboard is that it can actually can be a bit tempo hit against you. Let's look at the situation where this is good: you've got either the mana to cast the hammer and activate it with spare untapped lands, or enough mana to cast it and a second card that's cheap enough to cast. This is a pretty rosy situation, but having 4-7 mana and extra land/cards is not exactly this decks ideal "plan"; it wants to win in as few turns as possible before a sufficient defense can be mounted. The longer this deck lets the opponent to live, unless its a mirror match, the better their odds at winning. Obviously, if you're at three mana or less, this card just sucks; you're doing nothing to your board state for a turn or its sitting in your hand.

So my reasoning on this card is that it just doesn't fit what the deck wants to do out of the gates, and I'd probably side it in when I am going to be forced into a game that is going to go longer than I want/can't kill with my first 10 cards. I'd also be hesitant to ditch the fourth mutavault or phoenix, since they're pretty key members of the team. I'd consider trimming a mountain before a mutavault TBH.
It is just a sideboard swap right now from his list, I'll tune my own board to my meta as needed.

While I'm aware the plan for RDW is to go for the throat, I don't ever see Hammer as the play you're making on T3. As has been stated by others, it's your drop when you've played everything else, and that's fine - if it was another creature (barring Phoenix) it wouldn't be swinging immediately anyways. Bonus points are that every topdeck you make from here on out is gas: pull a creature? It has haste, drop it and swing! Pull a land? It's now a 3/3 creature with haste, drop it and swing! It's not your on curve play (drop another CMC1 and CMC2 guy, or a Phoenix, or a dude and a damage spell), but the ability to turn your whole deck (save the other hammer) into gas seems absolutely amazing in a deck whose biggest priority is getting the other guy to 0 without caring what life total he's sitting at.

Mikujin
May 25, 2010

(also a lightning rod)

oryx posted:

The fact that you'd never play it turn three is exactly why it's in the sideboard.

If you had a hand that was: mountain, mountain, mutavault, lighting strike, firedrinker satyr, gore-house chainwalker, would you want your seventh card to be the hammer? Would you rather it be your tenth card? Outside of mana flood, I can't think of many scenarios where I'd rather have the hammer than pretty much any card in the deck.

Yes, Hammer might steal you a few games that you wouldn't have normally won, but how many might it lose you that a mutavault and a chandra's phoenix would have won? Or they could just stabilize, or you could take so long getting it going that your opponent renders 3/3s irrelevant.

I mean you basically just said that you'd play this when you'd have literally nothing else to do. This is pretty much the last thing you want to say about a card in your starting sixty cards. You're essentially conceding that this deck's game plan is not going to work by you're hedging your bets.

If you playtest this deck and find you really just want the hammer, then this deck's going to need some significant changes (like more 3/4/5 drops to capitalize on the haste and more lands, purphoros maybe to take advantage of all the hasty creatures and the high devotion to red).

When I said I'd play other things over it, I meant that if it's T3, I've got 3 mana on board, and I've got a 1 drop and a 2 drop in hand, I'm likely going to drop them over hammer. And if I do that, chances are the only remaining card in my hand is hammer, at which point playing it T4 becomes likely unless I rip a phoenix off the top, because nothing else is going to get in for damage that isn't just a shock (outside of the fringe case drop Shortcutter to get past a single blocker). And that means T5 no matter what card I rip from the top it's going to be a good draw - mutavault ripped off the top is a 2/2 haste for 2 instead of a dead card for a turn, and every mountain draw isn't a dead draw.

That said, Hammer isn't so integral to our plan that we're playing more than 2, because drawing an extra hammer is dead weight. It's not a card you want to play immediately, but I definitely thinks it's a great card in the 60.

Jabor posted:

I don't see going to five-drops as a good plan (the five drops that are good plays for a RDW-style deck have haste already). But extending the curve to four seems good - Fanatic has four power, and he comes with a free bolt to the face with the hammer out.

I don't know why you'd run Purphoros though, his abilities don't seem to synergize with hasty dudes at all, and his activated ability takes mana that you'd want to make golems with instead.
I think Fanatic wants to be in a more stompy deck, running stuff like Reckoners. Topping out a 4 in a deck that wants excess mana to power mutavaults and/or turn into golems seems a bit too pricey.

Mikujin
May 25, 2010

(also a lightning rod)

Yoked Ox and/or Returned Phalanx would both be pretty solid to help stymie aggro, alongside the pharika's cures you're already running.

Mikujin
May 25, 2010

(also a lightning rod)

Returned Phalax is easily to go-to UB early chumper. 3/3 body means it will trade with a bunch of stuff, and if you're keeping to board clean you can opt to pay 1U to start swinging in for 3 a turn. Get rid of Viper's Kiss; it might be ok in draft but it's an absolutely dead card in standard, since it's only good against X/1 creatures. The only creature the denial of activated abilities will matter on already dodges it, anyways.

Similarly, Traumatize is not something you should play. It doesn't actually do anything for you, since you have no other graveyard manipulation. Ashiok is a win condition, but if your control suite is strong enough you won't need him to mill things out but instead can just bring back big beaters and swing. Warped Physique is another one of those situational removal cards that's probably just better off being something that is straight up "kill a dude."

Verdict in your sideboard does nothing with no white sources, so uh, you may want to get rid of that. AEtherling should probably be at least a 2-of main deck, since he's an absolutely amazing control finisher. Your other side board options are pretty weak: Agent of Fates doesn't actually do anything in your deck unless you're also boarding in the enchantments with him, and Bident is just not a standard playable card in a time when other four-drops in color could be stuff like Verdict. Returned Centaurs also aren't going to help you as much as they would in limited, because you're not chipping at a 40 card library, but a 60 card one.

Mikujin
May 25, 2010

(also a lightning rod)

Durette posted:

In general, I'd agree. My problem with Jace IV is that it's so slow next to Ashiok. She (he? it?) could theoretically do about the same thing Jace IV does the second turn she's on the board. Spamming the +0 on Jace III will (hopefully) draw some targeting and keep things moving along. If I'm up against Control, I'd put him out there first to burn some Dreadbore/Hero's Downfall before playing Ashiok.
Ashiok is something you just want to play and roll with, don't worry about baiting out some sort of kill spell with another Planeswalker - especially since your list already runs three of the 'walkers.

quote:

Also for my meta, almost everyone has gotten away from milling Esper Control and steered towards Monstrous, so hopefully I can catch some folks napping.
Accounting for you meta is a good thing, but Memory Adept is only better than Architect in control match-ups. Since your goal is locking down the board with removal to make room for your own bombs, run Architect. Worst case scenario he can dig into your deck to get more removal/answers.

quote:

I think I might hang on to it in the sideboard as a Meta thing. Still lots of Experiment Ones and Boros seeing play and it's a pretty cheap for when you don't want to waste a spell that could kill something larger like Doom Blade or Warped Physique.
I guess I could see it as a 2-of in a sideboard if your meta is dripping with X1s and other weenie decks - but having said that, I still think Dimir Charm is better in your board than it. Gives you some flexibility, which is always important, and if you end up bringing it main it has the added benefit of being able to set up your draws (or theirs).

quote:

With Unburial Rights, the Zombies, and Undying critters going away, I think there's a little more wiggle room with putting things in graveyards. Most of the Theros "return from graveyard" put it in hand, not the battlefield which buys a little time.

Maybe run Crypt Incursion if I'm dumb enough to keep Traumatize?
What I meant was that there's no reason for you to be Traumatizing anyone, ever. At 5CMC you'd be better dropping your planeswalkers or holding onto instant speed removal. Since you can't benefit from Traumatizing yourself, and the only benefit to Traumatizing them is that Ashiok might deck them if they simply just never draw an answer, then it's a win-more card. Ashiok is already decking them because your mission of locking down the board was successful. The problem becomes drawing Traumatize when you aren't in a win-more scenario - it does absolutely nothing to get you back in the game.

quote:

Once again, this is from Limited, but Ashiok is also freaking amazing at slowing an opponent down by watching the land fly by. By T3 when she pops out, if an opponent was lucky and has 5 land in hand or on the board, it really hurts to see the cards you need to pull off T5/T6 type things. I love that.
You're not playing limited, though, and Ashiok is not going to win you games by exiling lands from the top. He'll help you win by either making your opponent focus attention on him instead of you, and/or by playing your opponent's own bombs with his -X after you've exiled them.

quote:

D'oh! Supposed to be Cyclonic Rift.
That makes more sense.

quote:

I had Agent of Fates in there more for his Deathtouch/to protect Planeswalkers; any suggestions on something that could accomplish the same?
Yea, Phalanxes and the like 14+ removal spells you're going to run. Don't overvalue your planeswalkers, either. They're great, they can win you the game, but you should focus on winning the game by locking out your opponents from their own spells/creatures, and then dropping your own big fat guy.

quote:

Intent on Bident was to speed up my draw (lovely Think Twice replacement). Any suggestions there?
Read the Bones is pretty awesome if you're in black. It's hard to keep it main deck if you're up against aggro, since -2 life can be damning, but Scry 2/Draw 2 is amazingly good in control, since you can tuck bad draws/dig to removal. Either way, don't play Bident. In limited it's a great draw engine/card to break board stalls, but in a standard environment there's just not going to be a break point like that.

Mikujin
May 25, 2010

(also a lightning rod)

thunderchief posted:

Why not replace Cancel with another Counterspell - is it not just the same spell but cheaper??

It's EDH; he's limited to single copies of any card.

Mikujin
May 25, 2010

(also a lightning rod)

I see Chandra's floating around in the sideboards for several of the RDW strategies. What circumstances is she getting boarding in (I'm assuming control matchup for her +0), and what's getting pulled for her (I assume like Shocks or something)?

Mikujin
May 25, 2010

(also a lightning rod)

Entropic posted:

So in Breakfast Burrito, you can replace Lord of Extinction with the original Lhurgoyf and it will make no difference 99% of the time except for the extra style points you'll get, right?

Re-read Lord of Extinction.

Mikujin
May 25, 2010

(also a lightning rod)

Mezzanon posted:

Selesnya Aggro:

Thoughts? Ideas? Questions???
You have cards that generate tokens. This, generally speaking, makes Rootborn Defenses a better option that Ready // Willing, since you'll often be using the latter to do what the former does (granting indestructibility), and getting a free 5/5 trampler or 3/3 beater or X/X beater out of the ordeal is much better than simply untapping guys since you're usually just using it to stop a sweeper or removal spell.

Mikujin
May 25, 2010

(also a lightning rod)

Deck: RDW

//Land
21 Mountain

//Creatures
4 Rakdos Cackler
4 Burning-Tree Emissary
4 Firefist Striker
4 Ash Zealot
4 Boros Reckoner
3 Chandra's Phoenix
4 Fanatic of Mogis

//Spells
4 Lightning Strike
4 Magma Jet
2 Shock

//Planeswalkers
2 Chandra, Pyromaster

//Sideboard
4 Mizzium Mortars
2 Hammer of Purphoros
2 Electrickery
3 Burning Earth
2 Ratchet Bomb
2 Skullcrack

Display deck statistics

One of many RDW builds, this is what I plan on taking to game day later today and to another event tomorrow. I'm trying to tune up the last bit of it.

Main Deck
Spells are the most basic and straight-forward thing here, no words to be said on that front. Creature suite is pretty standard - lots of cheap dudes who can attack well, help put up more spells, or give pseudo-evasion (if they don't have evasion). The one noteworthy thing here is that I'm only running 3 Chandra's Phoenix as opposed to 4, in favor of running another Chandra main deck. This was a decision I made to address the heavy mid-range and control meta I'll be playing in today, where I've found both her +1 and +0 to be very useful. That said, I definitely think she ends up stronger in the mid-range match-up than the control match-up.

Right out the gates, I'm not sure if I like her as a 2-of in the main, or if I'd prefer another Phoenix there. As I mentioned, in actual FNM play she's been performing very well by giving me another source of evasion and some reach - especially with a post-Verdict board during game 1. Having said that, the option to simply be more aggressive with another bird might still be the better play, since they also do well post-Verdict if you rip any burn off the top.

The other decision I've not been able to settle on yet is whether to include Mutavault as a 1 or 2 of. With such a heavy commitment to Red, I really do need to draw 3 mountains early to make sure Reckoners can hit the board, so running for 'vaults just isn't practical, but a couple copies may prove useful. In a build that heavily relies on hitting its colored mana drops, is it worth putting in?

Sideboard
Selesnya Beats/Tokens - +4 Mortars, +2 Ratchet Bomb, -2 Chandra, -2 Shock, -2 Magma Jet
In this match-up I've found the evasion I get from Chandra isn't worth the extra board control I get out of Ratchet Bombs and Mortars. I bring this guys in to deal with Smiters, Wurms, and all the other annoying tokens.

Naya Goodstuff - +3 Burning Earth, -2 Shock, -1 Chandra
A lot of Naya decks I've run up against run greedy mana bases, usually alongside Sylvan Caryatid (which I have no answer for) to ramp up to threats. Dropping a Burning Earth has threatened more than a couple shocks worth of damage, and dropping them back-to-back is absolutely back-breaking if their mana base is running too many duals.

Esper Control - +2 Hammer, +2 Skullcrack, -2 Chandra, -2 Magma Jet
Game 1 Chandra is going to help provide gas for you post-wrath, but moving into game 2 Hammer has almost always been a better option for turning your top-decks into instant-gas powered beats. Getting out a hasty Reckoner, or turning a mountain into a bludgeoning hammer is fantastic. Also dropping 2 Jets in this match-up in favor of Skullcrack, which does wonders against Revelations AND other sources of lifegain like Baron and Ghost Dad.

Azorius Control - +2 Hammer, -2 Chandra
Similar to the Esper control match-up, here we're just moving in the stronger option for gassing things out and building our board back up post-wrath.

Blue Deck Wins - +2 Electrickery, +2 Ratchet Bomb, -2 Chandra, -2 Shock
I haven't actually got to play against this deck, and won't see it in my local meta since no one has managed to get the cards for it quickly. However, I expect to see it - or some variations on it - tomorrow. Electrickery is an amazing option against Master of Babes Waves, wiping all his tokens for 2 (even if it doesn't touch him). Ratchet Bomb also gives up that option here, becoming especially useful if multiple Masters are on the board. That being said, I'm not sure if I'd be better off just running 4 Ratchet Bombs instead.

Mikujin
May 25, 2010

(also a lightning rod)

Took down my game day juggernaut style. :getin:

I played RDW with Fanatic and Reckoners (not hyper aggressive 1 and 2 drops). Ran smooth like butter, and only came close one game. Fanatic pumping out sick 5+ spikes for 4 is just obscene.

Mikujin
May 25, 2010

(also a lightning rod)

Hey guys. Came from the Mana Deprived Super Series 2K Saskatoon yesterday where I took it all down with RDW. Write-up on matches actually went up here last night, but I thought I'd post my updated deck-list here, explain some of my thought process and 'boarding options!

Deck: Red Deck Wins Best Deck Ever

//Land
19 Mountain
2 Mutavault

//Creatures
4 Rakdos Cackler
4 Burning-Tree Emissary
4 Firefist Striker
4 Ash Zealot
4 Boros Reckoner
4 Chandra's Phoenix
4 Fanatic of Mogis

//Spells
4 Lightning Strike
4 Magma Jet
2 Shock

//Planeswalkers
1 Chandra, Pyromaster

//Sideboard
4 Mizzium Mortars
2 Hammer of Purphoros
3 Burning Earth
3 Ratchet Bomb
2 Skullcrack
1 Chandra, Pyromaster

Display deck statistics

Notable changes between this list and the previous one I posted:
Main Deck
+1 Chandra's Phoenix, -1 Chandra, Pyromaster: After some consideration and testing, I determined that the 2/2 evasive haste body was better game 1 against pretty much every match-up than Chandra ended up being, which isn't to say she wasn't amazing since she was. Often the body on the board was more important in the long run.
+2 Mutavault, -2 Mountain: This was a change I toyed around with a bunch, first trying 1-and-1 before going up to 2-and-2. Overall I'm very happy with how it turned out, and Mutavault was almost never an opportunity cost. In fact, I found Mutavault actually opens up the hands you can keep! Normally, 4 Moutains in hand with anything is risky, since running into lands means you're not putting on the gas, but 3 Mountains/Mutavault often mean I could drop Mutavault T1 and start swinging on T2 until/unless I made better drops.
Sideboard
+1 Chandra, Pyromaster, +1 Ratchet Bomb, -2 Electrickery: Electrickery and Ratchetbomb were both in there to try to answer tokens from Blue Deck Wins, since I was certain I'd run into a ton of them. However, I ended up running the extra 'Bomb since it blew up tokens at any point (in the case of Master->Master), but also because it gave me some flexibility to play against other token decks like Selesnya if I needed to. The other Electrickery came out for Chandra, who I found to be an absolute machine in control match-ups and definitely wanted to draw.

Having said all that, typical sideboards went like this:
vs. Control: -2 Shock, -1 Fanatic of Mogis, +2 Skullcrack, +1 Chandra, Pyromaster. In this match-up Shock just doesn't do anything great for you, since there's no X/2 guys to hit with it an you end up just doming for 2 with it. Subbing in for Skullcrack to get another 3 damage in was great, PLUS the fact that it shutdown lifegain was actually a game-winner more than once. Bringing in Chandra over one Fanatic was actually to compensate for the all-too-often opportunity cost trade-off: I couldn't reliably guarantee tons of dudes on board when I brought Fanatic down, and 4 mana for a 4/2 + 1 damage seemed weak when I could use 4 mana for 1 damage that afterwards becomes +1 card a turn. In practice, though, this deck won every single Game 1 against control (minus one bad decision game you can see in the writeup) so your side-board is just there to compensate for the extra removal they'll bring in, and life-gain they'll try to sneak on you.

vs. RG Monsters: -1 Chandra, -2 Shock, -1 Magma Jet, +4 Mizzium Mortars. While Mortars' sorcery speed means I can't use it as a combat trick to mess with my opponent's combat math, it still ended up being another way to kill most dudes on their board, which was equally important. Even barring that, it allowed me to run my small guys into Polukranoses and Arbos Colossuses and then Mortars them Main 2 which ended up causing more than a few groans on my opponents end.

vs. Aggro (not Master of Waves): -1 Chandra, -1 Fanatic, -1 Magma Jet, +3 Ratchet Bomb on the draw; -1 Chandra, -1 Fanatic, +2 Mortars on the play. I actually didn't run into this match-up at all, since among the more-than-50 people there were exactly two mono-red decks: me and a red devotion guy who like a lot of RG monster decks only got going with T2 BTE+BTE+Nykthos plays. The idea here is to forego some 4-drops that might not get to matter in favor of Ratchet Bomb for board wiping. This was always a careful sideboard option that I only ran on the draw, since I would try to balance my life-total and card advantage with a Bomb if I got one in my hand early. On the play the bombs came back out for burn, which worked out better to keep my opponent's board clean.

vs. Aggro - Master of Waves: -1 Chandra, -4 Magma Jet, -2 Shock, +2 Mizzium Mortars, +2 Skullcrack, +3 Ratchet Bomb. In this aggro match-up I still remove Chandra since fliers get in to keep her under control, but I kept in Fanatic since my opponent would often avoid trades to keep up Blue Devotion for an eventual Master drop. Taking out Jets and Shocks was relevant since they just can't touch the opponent's board, save Tidebinder (who was a glorified pacifism that doesn't stop me from building devotion). Ratchet Bombs came in for token control, and in practice ended up actually letting me blow up an opposing board of Weirds and Tidebinders. The most interesting side board play I like here is 2 Skullcrack in for 2 Jets. Often, the damage prevention clause on this guy is overlooked, and swinging into a Master of Waves with Red guys almost always results in Master at least blocking something, which meant Skullcrack could come out and be a hero. This only works once during the match-up, though, so after you do it you're better of siding into more Mortars to kill Spectres and Weirds.

Having said all that, there were definitely some cards I was totally underwhelmed with in my Sideboard that I'd like to have replaced with other stuff.
3 Burning Earth: This card looks amazing against Esper Control on paper, but in practice it almost always ended up only sneaking in 1 or 2 damage, after I'd pulled stuff like Chandra/Fanatic/Shock out to get it in. It was extremely weak, since control could play around it as much as possible, and most control decks had more than one way to gain life back. Moving forward, I'd definitely turn at least two of these into Skullcracks, and the other into another Ratchet Bomb.
2 Hammer of Purphorus: Man I loved this card when I was gold-fishing originally, and thought it would be dope. Turns out it was just poo poo that looked good. Hammer coming in against control never ever provided me any significant advantage, and when I wanted to be keeping 4 mana up to make sure I could drop Chandra and Fanatic, this card was actually a liability. I think in the actual control match-up, this slot would better be suited to a pair of Gore-House Chainwalkers, since they replace Shocks very well and play very nice with Burning-Tree Emissary.

All in all, though, the deck plays extraordinarily smooth and consistent, and that was what mattered more during the event. There are almost no hands this deck can keep - even against control keeping 3 Mountain, Mutavault, Reckoner, Fanatic, Chandra turned into a big W. Obviously that draw is worse with another Mountain and no 'Vault, but I never took a mulligan the entire night (though if you read my match-specific writeup there was definitely one I should have!), and despite losing most of my dice rolls and drawing first I still managed to win a lot of first round matches before sideboards came in, and even then did a lot of 2-0 games. The hardest part of playing this deck is managing what you can afford to give up in swings that will lead to trades, since Fanatic can lead to some extremely lopsided blow-outs - yesterday he managed to bomb for 10+ on a few occasions, and on even more I managed back-to-back Fanatics for 5 then 6. He is definitely one of the strongest cards in the deck, since by T4 you can already have 6-9 red devotion on board.

Beyond it's great performance, it's also incredibly fun to play. Plus, with all the guys - even the 7 I met in top 8 - laughing at RDW as something that just got lucky, it was super satisfying to see the absolutely Shocked looked on faces when I took them all down. :getin:

Mikujin
May 25, 2010

(also a lightning rod)

Elephant Ambush posted:

I don't think Skullcrack gets around protection from red. I thought all damage was reduced to 0, not prevented, and that's an important difference.

Zoness posted:

Skullcrack will remove the damage clause of protection but not the targetability or blocking parts. Once they declare Master of Waves as a blocker, you can skullcrack and it's a total wipeout.
Yep. This actually happened yesterday, guy called judge and was super sad when he found out he had thrown away his chance at winning. :smug:

Mikujin
May 25, 2010

(also a lightning rod)

Elephant Ambush posted:

Thanks for the Skullcrack clarification. I'll remember that.

Also, I've been comparing my mono-B aggro deck to the other top decks online and I am really confused as to why people are mainboarding Tidebinder Mage instead of Vaporkin and putting the Tidebinders in the sideboard. I guess if it's a metagame thing and they're expecting tons of red and green then it makes sense, but otherwise it's a Grizzly Bear. Vaporkin not only has evasion, its drawback doesn't matter because you're ostensibly going in with it every turn. More importantly, it's creature type is Elemental so Master of Waves makes it bigger. I've already won several games with my mono-B deck by simply casting Master of Waves to make my 2 or 3 Vaporkin big enough to swing for lethal.

I mean, I don't want to argue with PTQ winners or anything because they know what they're doing, but Vaporkin just seems like a huge oversight on their part.

They mainboard Tidebinder because it's two U (blue) devotion as opposed to something like Vaporkin which is just 1. The fact that it is incidentally more useful against any red or green matchup (RG Monsters is huge right now) is a perk.

It also just happens that being able to block grounders is extremely important in opposing aggro matchups, as well.

Mikujin
May 25, 2010

(also a lightning rod)

Elephant Ambush posted:

That makes sense but my experience with aggro mirrors is that it's a race and nobody bothers blocking until they're low on life. I get the devotion bonus but I just get tons of work out of my Vaporkins and it seems worth the tradeoff to me. If you can race faster than they can that extra Elemental token shouldn't matter that much.

Then again, I don't play in PTQs or against PTQ-level players :)
The only time Vaporkin could be relevant vs. aggro is in the mirror-match, since against RG/RDW/MonoG Tidebinder actually disables an attacker which completely slows the race.

Mikujin
May 25, 2010

(also a lightning rod)

Night Danger Moose posted:

Ran this at a fundraiser, split first prize for 27 packs. Came third at GameDay, came 3rd or 4th, lost semifinals to drawing zero sideboard cards against Selesnya aggro. Gonna be bringing this to a charity event in Glen Burnie, MD on Saturday. Thoughts, comments, criticism welcome.

Deck: Stompy

This is already leaning the way of RG Monsdevotion/Ramp which is where it wants to be. Things I think that could help:
  • -2 Bow - maindeck at least this card is weak. There's pretty much no scenario you wouldn't rather just drop another dude.
  • -1 Boon Satyr, -1 Deadbridge Goliath - as one of cards these guys are incredibly weak. Especially when significantly stronger options exist.
  • -3 X1 - as much as I love X1, he plays really well in more aggro-oriented builds where he can be a 2/2 on 2, a 3/3 on 3, etc. This deck is really good at not-evolving in a stable manner, so there's no call for him.
  • -3 Kalonian Tusker - while dropping GG on two will usually be pretty easy, this guy still isn't a big win for the deck because he's not bigger than Selesnya guys, and he loses trades with Reckoners in white and red. While GG devotion is attractive, there's better options.
  • -2 Witchstalker - in a world of 2GG 5/5 creatures with upside, a 1GG 3/3 with hexproof as it's only upside is a bit of a let-down. Stick to more ramp and meaty guys.
  • -2 Reverant Hunter - While this guy looks awesome, Nytkos makes Mistcutter Hydra basically the same thing but with Haste, and that's super relevant.

• +2 Nykthos - This card is really stupid and broken and you may as well ride the bus all the way to value town until we see a good answer to it.
  • +1 Garruk - He's so good at digging deep, and in a deck that can pretty reasonably get him on the board T4 (or sooner with nut draws) he can reload your hand quick to laugh at verdicts.
  • +4 Sylvan Caryatid - it blocks everything for days and makes you mana when it matters. It's also resistant to removal which is outstanding. Dropping this guy off a BTE chain if you don't have Nykthos is still awesome.
  • +1-2 Polukranos - This guy is such a big win in this deck you want to draw him reliably every game. Some folks prefer 3 because they only see one, while I personally see/saw value in multiples when you can monstrous a board down, then rinse and repeat if your opponent tries to pick up the pieces.
  • +3-4 Arbor Colossus - 6/6 reach for 2GGG sounds good, the fact it's got monstrosity is better, and in a deck that benefits from all the green devotion he dumps in your lap it's even stronger. If you've got Nykthos on the board with this guy, and somehow haven't dumped your hand yet, you will shortly.
  • +1-2 Mistcutter Hydra - with all the free mana you'll get from your ramp and crazy devotion land, you can just dump it into this guy to power out huge hydra's as early as T3 (when I got to watch a 9/9 run into the guy next to me).
  • +1 Scavenging Ooze - I don't even think I need to elaborate on this one.

• +X Chandra [Sideboard] - Against control lists, the more planewalkers you've got the merrier, since they will win you the game on all the card advantage they give up. I got to watch a player next to me survive back-to-back verdicts with this list by having Chandra, Domri, and Garruk on board giving him ridiculously huge card advantage swings. Guy would go from an empty hand to 3-4 guys and checking out his next draw in no time flat.

Mikujin
May 25, 2010

(also a lightning rod)

Any deck running Nykthos really should be running a 4-of. It's not a card that's good sometimes, it's good all the time, and there's nothing more silly that seeing someone go "Pay 2, Nykthos for 8, play Nykthos, pay 2, Nykthos for another 8, 14 floating dump my hand."

Mikujin
May 25, 2010

(also a lightning rod)

Korak posted:

Are any of you murdergoaters running chandra's phoenix for the synergy between being able to recall it when you cast an instant/sorcery?

The deck doesn't run enough burn that domes to make it useful. Remember Phoenix doesn't show up off just any instant or sorcery.

Mikujin
May 25, 2010

(also a lightning rod)

Elephant Ambush posted:

Should I just not even bother?

Also, I'm trading for a Chandra, Pyromaster on Friday so she'll be in there. What should I take out for her? I'm thinking a Magma Jet but if the Boros Charms are a bad idea then I'll just move all the white (including lands) to the sideboard against Control because Control is the only matchup I'm worried about in my local meta.

One more thing; I originally had 3 Legion's Initiative in the main deck because they did tons of work for me in the prototype version of the deck. Even if I'm not up against Control, that +1/+0 for all my creatures was pretty scary for most of my opponents, and potentially having a 4/4 Reckoner on turn 3 was terrifying. Additional Initiatives made him even bigger. What do you guys think of putting them back in?
The short answer is don't both. The long answer is that in this deck (and I tested a bunch of splash-white in my RDW before settling on mono-red) Boros Charm simply ends up doing for WR what Shock and Jet do for R and 1R respectively: get you through enemy blockers one way or another (in this case double-strike or indestructibility). And the worst part is that being harder to cast makes it a totally dead card. White decks splash into stuff like Charm because their creature removal is weak and usually combat-trick-oriented, whereas red already gets removal AND reach out of their burn spells. That, and tap-lands are abhorrent when you crack a hand with 1 drops, 2 drops, and just 2 lands, since you end up trying to figure out where you sacrifice steam in an aggro deck (you don't want to do this).

I also noticed you are playing the heavy 1-drop/2-drop RDW plan, and while it's good, I found it to be relatively weak against other creature-based strategies. Selesnya, for example, is already a hard match-up with cheap efficient dudes, and this deck folds even harder to them.

Chandra is a great one-of in the main, and I ended up eventually revising my 75 after the event to get 2 more in there (total 3) instead of 2 because of how good she was in the match-ups she was good in. As CRAZY as it sounds, you probably want to drop a creature for her - since 10 burns for removal/reach is pretty much exactly where you want to be.

You don't want Legion's Initiative. In addition to potentially sacrificing tempo to get the colors you need, red would really just rather throw down more guys and swing. Lump this in with the Boros Charm - cards white weenies splash for because they lack the awesome red stuff. You can often present lethal by 4 anyways, so they better be packing lots of removal.

Cards that I noticed you are not running that in this build you absolutely should be: Mutavaults. When you're playing the heavy 1-drop deck, I've found they are absolutely critical. Going T1 dude, T2 Vault/Striker, T3 animate swing through blocks is great, and still leaves you an open mana on 3 to play another 1-drop.

Cards that I noticed you are running that you probably really shouldn't: Fanatic of Mogis. With only a pair of reliable devotion builders (BTE + Reckoner) this guy really isn't going to perform in this deck. On average he'll probably end up shooting for only 3 or 4 when you want him to constantly present threat of dropping for 5+. Not only that, but when you're running a tight curve on the 1-3 with 19 lands (some of which should be 'Vaults!) he really just doesn't become the guy you want him to be. Which is a shame, because I absolutely LOVE this guy.

Cards that I noticed you are not running that you probably should be: Shock, Ash Zealot, and Chandra's Phoenix. The former two are absolutely amazing. Against control players, you can drop shock T1 and not feel bad about it. Against weenie players it's almost always going to be R: Kill a dude, which is ALWAYS good for keeping the line clear for your guys to swing. Ash Zealot is another amazing creature this deck really loves. I know it doesn't play nice with BTE on T2, but haste is extremely relevant, and First Strike is absolutely great against other creature-oriented decks sine you can swing into normally unprofitable blocks and zap a guy to make First Strike take the guy down. Just as importantly, if you want to play Fanatic it builds devotion for you like a champ. The last of the three cards is one I SEVERELY underrated and thought to cut in favour of 1-drops. Once again, haste is incredibly relevant against all decks. And secondly, there are only a small number of creatures seeing play that stop Phoenix: Spectres, Demons, Raptors, and Colossi. Among those, you can clear 2 with burn and get in. The OTHER important thing Phoenix does is resist removal. When you can EOT burn your opponent as they pass back to you, untap and re-cast a 2/2 haster you're living in value-town. In a hand with Zealot, BTE, and Phoenix, you can also T2 swing 2 haste, T3 play Phoenix off BTE (assuming you have triple red up) and get in for more hasty damage.

To be frank I think the not-Cackler 1 drops are just not that amazing. Satyr looks really good on paper, but can really put you in a bad place if they have ANY 1 or 2 drops. Running Satyr into Soldier of the Pantheon is a losing proposition. Not only that, but if your meta is heavy with OTHER red decks, shocks, jets, and strikes 2-for-1 him so hard it's unbelievable. And if you want to play Fanatic, you should probably run 20-21 land. Even at 21 land in my main I wasn't hitting 4 on 4 reliably. Trying to do that on 19 land is even harder.

Mikujin
May 25, 2010

(also a lightning rod)

Skullcrack also let's you run your guys into Master, but it only works once.

As Jabor said, Phoenix is the poo poo. I was the first naysayer and only ran two because I thought I needed a spot filled. Then it just played so amazing ( evasion is incredibly relevant!). The recursion is also relevant in a very heavy black presence meta. It also works great against Desecration Demon!

I also wouldn't run more than 2 Mutavaults. I run 19 mountain/2 Vault which is working just right, but drawing more than one Vault is not good for this deck since it often only Vault swings to trigger battalion, after mass removal, or after early trades when you're drawing poor. You're also highly understating Zealot. She's a great drop T3 after you BTE-Striker since you get the evasion online with haste - if you don't have a bird in hand with three mana up. Chainwalker is awesome, but I've all but cut him from my lists since power 3 is all he's offering to your game plan and can be chumped easily. I run more burn instead, since I'd almost always rather BTE-chain into Magma Jet and set up T3/4 than him.

Also, in a meta heavy with removal, getting lots of multi-red devotion sources online is key. Lots of guys will drop removal just to make Mogis less scary.

Mikujin
May 25, 2010

(also a lightning rod)

I'm actually thinking about Shred Freak in my RDW to get around Doom Blade. Haste is relevant, and Cacklers have been doing so much work in those matchups.

Mikujin
May 25, 2010

(also a lightning rod)

Unless your meta is laden with Boros decks, I found Peak Eruption to be pretty useless. Similarly, I found Burning Earth to be marginal in the matchups it's GOOD in, and would rather have just kept in shock or another burn.

I saw this deck in action, and it's basically the RG devotion deck in terms of draw potential, except you get blown out if you don't draw Nykthos and combo off BTE early. RG monster devotion is safer since you end up packing not-Nykthos ramp and can actually combo off T2, where this deck can't go off until 3.

Mikujin
May 25, 2010

(also a lightning rod)

MatCauthon posted:

I'm running this version of RDW, which has been fairly successful, except against R/G or Mono-Green devotion. About half the games I can squeak through enough damage before they ramp up, the other half of the time they stabilize and crush me, or curve out and crush me. Any suggestions?

//lands
19 Mountain
2 Mutavault

//creatures
4 Burning-Tree Emissary
4 Firefist Striker
4 Chandra's Phoenix
4 Rakdos Cackler
4 Boros Reckoner
4 Ash Zealot
3 Fanatic of Mogis

//planeswalkers
2 Chandra, Pyromaster

//spells
4 Shock
4 Lightning Strike
2 Mugging

SB: 4 Mizzium Mortars
SB: 2 Ratchet Bomb
SB: 4 Skullcrack
SB: 1 Chandra, Pyromaster
SB: 2 Act of Treason
SB: 2 Mugging

From experience, you really, really want all four copies of Fanatic - even over Chandra. He's such a huge play on T4 or T5 and will often end games stronger and sooner than your planeswalker will.

Mugging might be an ok sideboard card, but I don't know that I'd run it main. Sorcery speed hurts, and even against RG where it would theoretically be best, it can't touch the Caryatids that wall you out. It's another point of consideration for running Firedrinker Satyr: I'll gladly pay 2 and 1 life to kill a Caryatid, and since your opponent knows you can they just won't offer it up. Shocks and Strikes are awesome, and they're probably all I'll contour to run. I mean, magma jet is my favorite non-creature to hit off a BTE chain, but 2 for 2 and Scry 2 is just not shock or strike which you really need.

Mikujin
May 25, 2010

(also a lightning rod)

Been preparing for this coming weekend event, made some changes after the last one which I feel tighten things up a bit more. There are still some other changes I'm considering, but I figured I'd provide an update and some input.

Deck: Red Deck Wins Best Deck Ever

//Land
19 Mountain
2 Mutavault

//Creatures
2 Firedrinker Satyr
4 Rakdos Cackler
4 Burning-Tree Emissary
4 Firefist Striker
4 Ash Zealot
4 Boros Reckoner
4 Chandra's Phoenix
4 Fanatic of Mogis

//Spells
4 Lightning Strike
4 Shock

//Planeswalkers
1 Chandra, Pyromaster

//Sideboard
4 Mizzium Mortars
3 Ratchet Bomb
4 Skullcrack
2 Chandra, Pyromaster
2 Act of Treason

Display deck statistics

Notable changes since the last iteration:
Main
  • 2 Firedrinker Satyr - This deck feels like it gains so much from the 2 power 1-drops that this guy just had to find a home. After noticing that T1-T3 there were often times where I'd have up Shock mana - but not Magma Jet mana - it just made sense to put in Shock-With-Legs. He also plays nicely with a T2 BTE if you have no follow-up, allowing an aggressive pump pre-combat. The other upside he had in testing was that you could swing him into Nightveil Spectre and almost always expect a no-block scenario, since they're just not willing to trade their 3 drop for your 1 drop.
  • 4 Shock - Moved the number of Shocks in the main up to 4 from 2. More often than not the first few turns this deck is up and running it will only have 1 mana to spare, not 2, which made Shock more desirable than Magma Jet overall.
  • 0 Magma Jet - 2 turned into Satyrs, 2 turned into Shocks, all for the reasons expounded on. 2 mana for 2 damage/Scry 2 sounds great in principal, but was only effective in practice off of BTE chains or when you had no other lines of play (which is not where you want to be in this deck anyways).

Sideboard
  • 4 Skullcrack - Against mono-black and Esper lists, this card can often be back-breaking. I've seen guys swing in with Demons to gain 6 knowing that with life gained from the attack and any blocks, only to have this card completely turn their plans sideways and result in imminent death. Against Sphinxes Revelations this can just crush an Esper player's dreams of stalling you out long enough to win. It replaces all 4 Shocks in the latter case, but I haven't settled on a number in the former. Shock sometimes feels good against Spectre, but more often than not it was only 1-mana for 2 to the dome.
  • 2 Chandra, Pyromaster - I still haven't decided upon whether I want 1 main/2 board, 0 main/2 board, or 1 main/1 board, but in the matchups where she's good she's amazing.
  • 2 Act of Treason - This spot is up in the air. Against the mirror, against RG, and against mono-black this has always been pretty solid. However, I've found that Peak Eruption also ends up pretty solid in this slot on the play against the mirror and RG. Haven't had much testing against Naya control, not sure how much I'll see there, but it's another deck where Peak Eruption might be better suited.
  • 0 Burning Earth - This card. This loving card. I had such high hopes for it, and thought for sure it would be amazing. Turns out it was a big ol' pile. It never amounted to much more than Shock or Strike, and for 4 mana you'd hope it'd be a lot more than that! Unless your opponent is entirely stalled on out non-basic draws (which doesn't happen often) it just doesn't have enough immediate impact on the board to turn the tide for you. I've dropped it completely, because even after boarding them in in favourable match-ups I found myself boarding them out immediately for game 3 if I didn't 2-0.
  • 0 Hammer of Purphoros - Another card that seemed like it'd be absolutely amazing against control that I just found myself not bothering with. In almost every instance, I'd have simply rather had Chandra out to get me two draws a turn, since counter-spells and removal could mean my new haste drop doesn't stick around, and because with guys like Fanatic in the deck you can't afford to go down to 3 land.

Most of the match-ups notes from previous postings remain the same, and there aren't a lot of changes I'd make against a lot of decks. Most notably, against blue I actually leave in the Shocks, and drop two Satyr's for a pair of Skullcracks (which I then board back out if they see me kill Master with it).

As I've mentioned, there are a couple of things I'm still up in the air about and haven't set in stone:
  • 1 Chandra vs. 1 Firedrinker Satyr - In the main, as noted, I'm finding a lot more consistency in the finishing power of this deck with the inclusion of another 1 drop, since establishing board presence immediately can be critical. Having said that, I've never put Chandra out in a match and thought "Man, I wish I had another card," and that's mostly because the deck is all about aggression and removing a blocker for me/getting me more cards is pure aggressive play. Whether further improving my early-game consistency or give me some mid-game power/smoothing ends up stronger is something I'm still up in the air about.
  • 4 Skullcrack - Sometimes I feel like I want all 4, sometimes I feel like I'd only want 2-3, and committing 4 cards in my board is a lot of space. As mentioned, though, in the match-ups these cards are good in, they can be 1R - Win the game on your next turn.
  • 2 Act of Treason vs. 2 Peak Eruption - The problem with this decision is that the former is good in multiple match-ups, while the latter ranges from ok to absolutely amazing in the match-ups it goes in. Catching my opponent pants down T3 with Peak Eruption could completely hose board development, while - similarly - Act of Treason on sometime like T4 Demon could simply be a game-ender immediately.

As always, all feedback and opinions appreciated. I'm just looking for some input to help sway me on a few of these decisions.

Mikujin
May 25, 2010

(also a lightning rod)

Mezzanon posted:

Mikujin, I'll start testing with those changes tonight. It's good to see something that can drop nightveil, but I might still find room for 2 jets.......

The problem is there isn't much room for them. :(

You might get away with dropping Chandra and maybe one BTE main for them if you really want them in, I guess.

Mikujin
May 25, 2010

(also a lightning rod)

Tubgoat posted:

Is everyone consistently chaining BTE but me? Whenever I run her, I'm always disappointed past turn 3 when I draw spares. Could not her set be replaced with a pair of Legion Loyalist and a pair of either Mugging or Magma Jet? Mugging has been less disappointing that I initially assessed (and if anyone has any non-foil French ones at a reasonable price, please let me know) and it can always be turned into faceburn by pointing at the one's Reckoner. I'd probably favor Magma Jet, though. Loyalist trigger helps negate Firedrinker's downside.
BTE draws are unimpressive with no follow-ups, but if you're casting literally anything with the remaining mana it's a free body which is why it's so attractive. Turn 3 on triple mountain you're almost always better off casting BTE+Phoenix rather than Reckoner, and drawing a BTE before you drop a Fanatic is 2 more to the dome, as well.

Mikujin
May 25, 2010

(also a lightning rod)

jassi007 posted:

easy black removal + scryland manabase is better than having to rely on counterspells and guildgates basically. Burning Earth is useless in every matchup other than Esper ATM, so it doesn't fear that brand of hate.

In my experience Burning Earth is a waste even in the Esper matchup.

Mikujin
May 25, 2010

(also a lightning rod)

Gonna be off to another event this weekend piloting my updated RDW list! Sounds like a buddy of mine is going to loan some of my Thoughseizes (what the hell I do have like 7 :psyduck:) and Hero's Downfall to play mono-black. Additionally, another guy I know will be piloting a nearly identical RDW list, and fellow goon KingofSprings will be doing something similar there.

Wish us luck!

Mikujin
May 25, 2010

(also a lightning rod)

Elephant Ambush posted:

As a fellow RDW player I hope you and your friend are victorious. I'd love to see an after-action report when you get back.

Yup, I planned on doing a write up just like last time. Except this time I'll post my match-up specific stuff and intended changes here instead of the main thread. : downs:

Mikujin
May 25, 2010

(also a lightning rod)

The store running the event today is buy listing Hero's Downfall at $20 right now since they're short for today.

I traded some in to foil out most of my RDW, sans a few of the pricier foils like Chandra and Reckoner. This is gonna be a fun day. :smug:

P.S. I'm a terrible person.

Mikujin
May 25, 2010

(also a lightning rod)

TheKingofSprings posted:

Goddamn what a clusterfuck this is, normally the tournament room's open by now.

400 Magic and comic book nerds piled into a 20 x 300 meter hallway. :gonk:

Haha yep. I'm in line for deck reg right now. How about you?

Mikujin
May 25, 2010

(also a lightning rod)

TheKingofSprings posted:

Already picked mine up, got it filled out just now.

Good luck man! If you run into another RDW list be sure to ask if it's a goon. ;)

A buddy of mine is playing an identical list, so it could be him too!

Mikujin
May 25, 2010

(also a lightning rod)

TheKingofSprings posted:

People do this?

Also, holy gently caress this tournament is behind, it's been an hour and a half and it hasn't even started. :downs:

It's really only behind like 30 minutes. Chatting with Rich this morning he said they wouldn't let them in til 10 to set up poo poo. Still annoying as hell.

Mikujin
May 25, 2010

(also a lightning rod)

2-0 round 1 playing against a chair. He satires me down but eventually folded. (I'm a terrible person.)

Hopefully round 2 is more exciting.

Mikujin
May 25, 2010

(also a lightning rod)

Not gonna be much matchup tech guys.

Round 1: Opponent never shows up. 2-0

Round 2: I play against KingofSprings in the mirror, he wins the dice roll. Game 3 I keep a 1 lander with the best explosive t2 I could want, draw ok lands til t4, which makes Peak Eruption on me quite effective. 1-2

Round 3: Blue aggro. I lose the dice roll. We race each other to zero and game 3 t4 master for 2 into t5 master for 3 is enough to win. 1-2, drop.

Wish I had better things to report, but that's about how it goes. I'll try my hand at the drafting table!

Mikujin
May 25, 2010

(also a lightning rod)

In RDW, Shock is almost always better than Magma Jet. Burning Earth ends up being worse than you want it to be almost all the time (even against the matchups where it's good).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mikujin
May 25, 2010

(also a lightning rod)

Captain Capitalism posted:

Hm, I guess it's because it's the same damage for 1 mana? What do you think of the list in general? Are there any points that can use some work?

Lastly, how do you deal with Desecration Demon? I've only played against 2 mono B players, but once the demon hits the game is basically over for me unless they're so low I can just burn them out.

Chandra's Phoenix if you've got burn or Chandra on board is great, Firefist Striker stops him from blocking your guys, and Reckoner gets a free pass to swing against them.

Alternatively, play a dude a turn and keep saccing them.

• Locked thread