Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TheLawinator
Apr 13, 2012

Competence on the battlefield is a myth. The side which screws up next to last wins, it's as simple as that.

Hey, I've been messing around with this as my first standard deck. I'm not sure I have enough card draw and also I have no idea how I would deal with a critical mass of creatures besides splashing another color which I'd rather not do.

Deck: Dimir Control

//Main
2 Ętherling
4 Far // Away
4 Desecration Demon
2 Dissolve
2 Doom Blade
2 Essence Scatter
4 Hero's Downfall
2 Read the Bones
2 Syncopate
2 Ultimate Price
2 Ashiok, Nightmare Weaver
2 Opportunity
2 Whip of Erebos
4 Temple of Deceit
4 Dimir Guildgate
4 Watery Grave
8 Swamp
7 Island

Display deck statistics

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheLawinator
Apr 13, 2012

Competence on the battlefield is a myth. The side which screws up next to last wins, it's as simple as that.

My buddy made a deck for our first standard event ever today. We're basically looking for alternatives to desecration demon (are there any?) and anything else that's money.

Creatures
2 Returned Phalanx
2 Lifebane Zombie
1 Mogis's Marauder
3 Liliana's Reaver
1 Erebos
4 Gray Merchant
1 Abhorrent Overlord

Spells
4 Pharika's Cure
4 Doom Blade
4 Hero's Downfall
2 Duress
2 Thoughtseize
4 Underworld Connections
1 Whip of Erebos

Nykthos, 3 scry-lands just for scry, and a bunch of swamps.

We don't really have the cash for a bunch of mutavaults so to replace the early bodies we're thinking the phalanxes.

TheLawinator
Apr 13, 2012

Boxn posted:

If you splashed white Alms Beast might be an option, although a lackluster one. What color are your scrylands?

We've got 2 UB ones and a WB one. Tempted to try a couple of guildgates (no more than 6 tapped lands though) to splash alms beast or let the phalanxes attack if we have extra mana.

Also, I'm messing around with an enchantment based white weenie deck with a couple of Ajani's Chosen. It's pretty nice being able to put an enchantment on a phalanx leader, getting a free 2/2, then moving the aura to the cat so when the leader eventually gets doom bladed my threats are diversified.

Edit: It's also cool when you have heliod on board and every time you make a cleric you get a free 2/2.

TheLawinator fucked around with this message at 21:07 on Oct 14, 2013

TheLawinator
Apr 13, 2012

Ok, so this is the deck I want to bring to my first FNM standard. I like a solid portion of the cards in here, but I'm not totally set on the eidolons, they're less 1 drops than 4 drops unless i have a really aggressive hand. Sideboard-wise I actually really like the idea of Soul Tithe for non-white planeswalkers and such. Goes a ways to mitigate the mana advantage that control decks might have.

Deck: Mono-White Enchantment Aggro

//Main
4 Ajani's Chosen
1 Ajani, Caller of the Pride
4 Ethereal Armor
4 Phalanx Leader
4 Fabled Hero
4 Precinct Captain
4 Gift of Orzhova
1 Path of Bravery
2 Spear of Heliod
2 Sphere of Safety
24 Plains
3 Gods Willing
2 Brave the Elements
1 Heliod, God of the Sun

//Sideboard
1 Heliod, God of the Sun
2 Soul Tithe
2 Glare of Heresy
2 Rest in Peace
4 Banisher Priest
4 Hopeful Eidolon

Display deck statistics

TheLawinator fucked around with this message at 00:48 on Oct 15, 2013

TheLawinator
Apr 13, 2012

TheLawinator posted:

Monowhite deck stuff

Tested for a couple hours against mono-red this morning. Having no solid play until turn 3 kinda sucks, since Precinct Captain gets jetted or striked. Probably gonna find a spot for blind obedience.

TheLawinator
Apr 13, 2012

So, I got a chance to get some nice playtesting in with my Deck: Mono-White Enchantment Aggro

Basically went like this:

Match 1: Jund
Game 1: Made voltron of fabled hero, didn't have a lot of followup after the 2nd doom blade took it down.
Game 2: Managed to build up a solid mass of tokens and such with Precinct Captain while jund bricked.
Game 3: Killed a couple deathrite shaman then banisher priested a desecration demon for the win.
2-1

Match 2: UWR Control
Game 1: Played solidly around verdict, elspeth ended the game for me though.
Game 2: Did not draw any of the 8-12 possible answers for elspeth, lost.
0-2

Match 3: RG Dinosaurs
Game 1: Dealt well with xenagos, could not deal with stormbreath dragon.
Game 2: Turn 3 ember swallower, turn 4 monstrous and polukranos, turn 5 swing for 20.
0-2

It was pretty bad. My matchup against RG seems absolutely horrible and I have no idea how even mono-red is fast enough. I never got a chance to actually truly enact my game plan. All I got to do is every once in a while suit up a dude for solid damage. I don't know where to go from here on sideboard strategy or modifications I can make. Blind obedience is great against aggro, but I don't feel like I'd have a problem if I saw it. Or I guess RG dinosaurs is actually aggro?

TheLawinator
Apr 13, 2012

AlternateNu posted:

Mono-white is just bad in this format which kind of depresses me. There just isn't enough card advantage in white to recover from control's one-for-one removal and green's ramp/swarming tactics. I've tried a weenie heroic deck, a devotion Nykthos into early Elspeth deck, and white Boros, and all of them suffer from card disadvantage. Unless you splash blue for Sphinx's Rev (which requires UU to cast), you really have nothing.

As far as you deck goes, I understand the theory behind Ajani's Chosen, but Gift of Orzhova does nothing for you. I would've mainboarded Hopeful Eidolon. It is a good one drop, and if you bestow it, you get a cat with Ajani's Chosen AND when the token dies, you get to keep the Eidolon as a body for chump blocking and for powering Sphere of Safety/Ethereal Armor.

I would have sideboarded only 2 Glare of Heresy at most, and swapped the Soul Tithe for Blind Obedience.

Gift of orzhova actually was pretty huge for me tonight since evasion and lifelink on one of my doublestrikers was huge. The numbers on Glare and Soul Tithe actually should be switched, 2 and 4 respectively. Soul Tithe was decent. I understand blind obedience and might find a spot for 2 of it though. The entire night I did not get to take advantage of any text on ajani's chosen. The whole voltron up a fabled hero is basically a crutch.

I dunno what I'm really going to do with this, tempted to go in the opposite direction and try to slam angels of serenity.

TheLawinator
Apr 13, 2012

AlternateNu posted:

Ignore enchantments. Just go straight devotion with Boros Reckoner, Precinct Captain, and all the big 2/1 1-drops. I can tell you. Getting Elspeth out on turn 4 is kind of nuts because assuming you can keep the Nykthos ramp going, you tap 6 tokens the following turn for Devout Invocation. :getin:

Yea, that would be super fun but with reckoners being 16 bucks now and elspeth at 28 it represents a bit heavy of an investment for me. Still trying to look for sleeper hits in there that I can get on the cheap.

TheLawinator
Apr 13, 2012

What's your list for WW? I'm thinking about how I can take my stuff a bit more aggro. At the same time I was wondering about actually playing gideon or haunted platemails as a replacement for mutavault until I had the cash as post-verdict threats.

TheLawinator
Apr 13, 2012

Yea, I saw a big white deck the other day at a standard event. Didn't play planar cleansing, but ramping out angels of serenity was pretty real.

TheLawinator
Apr 13, 2012

Skyjek is a great chunk of power. I'd probably leave scrivener in the sideboard. Swapping some number of Familiars for ultimate prices or doom blades might be nice, also popping soldier of the pantheon to 4 of. I don't feel like Sovereign is a 3-of, and depending on the matchup you might even want to swap it for Arrester. Depends on whether you want to gear for the black or red matchup.

TheLawinator
Apr 13, 2012

Korak posted:

http://tappedout.net/mtg-decks/bouncing-bounty-babies/

Not my list but pretty interesting. Could splash for red god and it would be extremely easy to get 10 activations off in a deck playing nykthos and green ramping creatures, with a 1(imposter) and 2(deputy) mana enabler.

I'd probably nix the white bit and the defender idea and have it more as a devotion ramp with primeval.

TheLawinator
Apr 13, 2012

Mulletstation posted:

There's gotta be some sort of janky combo with shadowborn apostle and both mill creatures in the format. Let's rack our goon brains.

Slaughter games naming shadowborn apostle oh god.

TheLawinator
Apr 13, 2012

That looks almost impossible to curve out on.

Edit: This is at the 3 color aggro deck.

TheLawinator
Apr 13, 2012

So, after looking at those hyper budget decks that were posted a while back, I'm interested in some for modern/legacy. There was a UB infect deck that might have been better as BG. I'd just like something that I could bring if people at the store wanted to play those formats instead of standard. Just for fun, but not crazy terrible.

TheLawinator
Apr 13, 2012

Gravy Train Robber posted:

I have no idea what a Legacy infect deck would even look like. How would it be different from the Modern BUG version?

The infect deck was for Modern. Also when I'm talking about budget I mean hyper-budget, the UB one was like 8 bucks. I saw a list for an interesting modern creature storm deck that could be fun.

20 Mountain

4 Burning-Tree Emissary
4 Goblin Bushwhacker
3 Myr Superion
4 Priest of Urabrask
4 Storm Entity

4 Desperate Ritual
2 Empty the Warrens
4 Gitaxian Probe
3 Lightning Bolt
4 Manamorphose
4 Pyretic Ritual

I'm just thinking a 20 dollar deck to mess around with.

Also this terrible Aura Gnarlid legacy deck

TheLawinator fucked around with this message at 03:59 on Dec 1, 2013

TheLawinator
Apr 13, 2012

Medomai can't attack during extra turns, even ones that the specific iteration of Medomai didn't make.

TheLawinator
Apr 13, 2012

Man_alive posted:

I thought that if the rules text referenced the card name, then it was in relation to THAT card, which is where I got the idea that if I dropped a second copy, and ditched the first, you could get around the whole "can't attack" thing.

Nope, if you somehow had timewalk or some other extra turn thing active, Medomai couldn't attack then either.

TheLawinator
Apr 13, 2012

My local store is doing a pauper league and I'm trying to help my friend make a rakdos deck. Blightning is just too good of a card. Is there a common that is even slightly like the rack or shrieking affliction? Other than that, do you guys have ideas for a solid rakdos pauper deck?

TheLawinator
Apr 13, 2012

I'd probably try to find a way to fit pain seer in there.

TheLawinator
Apr 13, 2012

DarkRider09 posted:

I want to build a Jund deck since it looks like the kind of deck i would really enjoy. But with rotation looming I'm worried about investing in cards that won't be around for long. Specifically Domri.

Is there a way to build without 3 or 4 Domri's? Or is that really a keystone in the deck?

I've seen jund builds without domri, the more noncreature spells you have the worse domri is.

TheLawinator
Apr 13, 2012

Alright, not sure how helpful you guys can be since I have BUDGETARY RESTRICTIONS, but what improvements can I make to this modern deck that aren't blood moons and fetch lands?

http://tappedout.net/mtg-decks/24-08-14-mardu-murda/

It's WRB tokens with young pyromancer, pack rat, a fistful of discard, and the hopes and dreams of a small child. Just put it together... a couple of hours ago and have no idea what to do with it. The sideboard is basically what I had with WB tokens transplanted over and it shows because it's crap. Despite that I quite enjoy the deck!

TheLawinator
Apr 13, 2012

Vatmother doesn't die to bolt. I'd suggest a copy or two of Runechanter's Pike so you can put the game away reasonably quickly if you have to. Inquisition of Kozilek is great, not as important as the nexus probably.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheLawinator
Apr 13, 2012

They're not actually my mutavaults, so can't sell em off. I like feast and famine better since my deck likes to tap out yet still hold things up for the opponent's turn, also if I manage to have it out with a pack rat I can make 2 rats a turn! SYNERGY! I could probably fit a terminate in somewhere.

• Locked thread