Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Deckit
Sep 1, 2012

Thank you Yeehaw for the new thread. :toot:

Made a BUG control deck.

Deck: BUG Control

//Lands
4 Breeding Pool
6 Forest
3 Island
4 Overgrown Tomb
2 Swamp
1 Temple of Deceit
4 Watery Grave
1 Temple of Mystery

//Spells
3 Abrupt Decay
3 Essence Scatter
3 Gaze of Granite
4 Hero's Downfall
2 Syncopate
3 Urban Evolution
1 Opportunity

//Creatures
2 Progenitor Mimic
4 Prophet of Kruphix
3 Reaper of the Wilds
4 Sylvan Caryatid
1 Ętherling
2 Ashiok, Nightmare Weaver

Display deck statistics

My LGS has a lot of control players, so Ashiok, Nightmare Weaver has been main boarded. He feels pretty decent against aggro as well. Sylvan Caryatid plops down for defense, then Ashiok stealing an early creature has been going well. Stole a Fiend-Slayer Paladin, Voice of Resurgence, and a Loxodon smiter.

Feels weird playing Opportunity on my turn with Prophet of Kruphix, but I like drawing counterspells. I might up Gaze of Granite to 4 of, because its been pretty instrumental in winning against multiple decks. I've only had to kill my own Ahsiok with Gaze of Granite once in about 14 games, but Ashiok feels like a good distraction to aggro.

Any suggestions would be helpful! I've considered taking out creatures like Progenitor Mimic and Reaper of the Wilds for more cards like Far // Away and Simic Charm to keep things more control and my Prophets alive.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deckit
Sep 1, 2012

TheLawinator posted:

Hey, I've been messing around with this as my first standard deck. I'm not sure I have enough card draw and also I have no idea how I would deal with a critical mass of creatures besides splashing another color which I'd rather not do.

Deck: Dimir Control

Display deck statistics

Hi. I'd go with what AlternateNu said on the Gates and Opportunities for Read the Bones.

Are you mainly running Whip for the life link? Because it doesn't feel like you have a lot of creatures to whip back for great effects. Only six, and neither of them has a triggered ability when entering play. The desecration demon can also be tapped out if you bring it back by the enemy sacc'ing a creature to it. Which could be helpful!

Maybe you're expecting a lot of aggro in your LGS but maybe trade out Essence Scatter for Syncopate, since you're running so many main board creature hate.

For a critical mass of creatures, do a combo of baconization. Curse of Swine followed up by Ratchet bomb for zero. :3: Or run Cyclonic Rift and hope you get enough mana to overload it.

Mikujin posted:

I have a buddy who really enjoys playing Dimir, and wants to bring a control-y list to game day. He put together a glob of cards that didn't use enough permission/removal, because he was really hellbent on playing Agent of the Fates + Hidden Strings to try and be cheeky.

I modified his list to try and strengthen the core of his theme (removal and permission). Managed to keep his Nightveil Specters in there for funsies.

Deck: Dimir Control v2.0

Display deck statistics

I goldfished it a bunch and didn't really ever have any terrible hands. Holding up T2 Syncopate on the play or being able to respond with T2 Phalanx on the draw actually felt pretty solid, and I held back Nightveils in favour of holding up permission/removal on T3-T4. Incidental Scry on the temples and on Dissolve went a long every time. Definitely felt like I could use something a little more to smooth draws/get more card advantage, since Read the Bones - while good - isn't enough. That said, I could definitely see dropping T3 Specters against opposing control decks and having it be really good. Ashiok has been pretty solid in every playtest I've run him since at his absolute worst he's 1UB gain 5 life in a control deck. Jace also gets to serve double-duty being a continued stall while you wait for answers OR digging for your answers.

Not even sure what this sort of things wants in a sideboard.

Looks like Thoughtseize would have a good home in a control deck.

As for card draw, quicken is a cheap cantrip that could be paired well with Read the Bones while leaving you open to keep your mana untapped for turns 3 and 4.

Deckit fucked around with this message at 02:42 on Sep 30, 2013

Deckit
Sep 1, 2012

You can only Whip as a sorcery though. :smith:

Deckit
Sep 1, 2012

inSTAALed posted:

Geez, I didn't realize that Nightveil Specter was an 8 dollar card now. I bought a playset in like May for a dollar just because I wanted to build "steal-your-deck-and-kill-you-with-it.dek"

Did this as well, though I did it because I wanted a fun devotion black or blue deck. Apparently both are strong with it now though! :science:

Deckit
Sep 1, 2012

Made a fun FNM deck, since I don't wanna bring my real deck till game day tomorrow. I think I saw it here, but someone made me realize Duskmantle Mage existed.

Deck: Baconization

//Lands
10 Island
3 Nykthos, Shrine to Nyx
3 Swamp
2 Temple of Deceit
4 Watery Grave

//Spells
4 Claustrophobia
4 Curse of the Swine
1 Opportunity
1 Diabolic Tutor
4 Quicken
4 Ratchet Bomb
2 Traumatize
4 Ętherize
2 Divination

//Creatures
4 Duskmantle Guildmage
4 Frostburn Weird
4 Nightveil Specter

Display deck statistics

The deck title is because of Curse of Swine and Ratchet bomb. :buddy:
I've been able to get off turn 6 kills with Duskmantle + Traumatize, depending on what I could drop before and if it survived. Key is to get to 8 mana to activate Duskmantle's first ability then traumatize. :unsmigghh:

Deckit
Sep 1, 2012

Holy poo poo Illness in the ranks. Thank you. :buddy:

Deckit
Sep 1, 2012

Wanted to make a Daxos deck, so heres the thrown together cards I have. Any suggestions?

Deck: Daxos to the Maxos

//Lands
4 Hallowed Fountain
7 Plains
3 Sacred Foundry
4 Steam Vents
4 Temple of Triumph

//Spells
2 Aqueous Form
2 Azorius Charm
2 Bident of Thassa
2 Boros Charm
3 Detention Sphere
2 Hammer of Purphoros
2 Lightning Strike
4 Magma Jet
2 Sphere of Safety
3 Gods Willing

//Creatures
2 Archangel of Thune
2 Fiendslayer Paladin
3 Boros Reckoner
3 Daxos of Meletis
4 Soldier of the Pantheon

Display deck statistics

Deckit
Sep 1, 2012

So I was challenged with making a Search the City deck. I was told if I could win 2-x games with it at FNM, I'd get something special.

Deck: Search with Lightning

//Lands
8 Island
12 Mountain
4 Steam Vents

//Spells
4 Elixir of Immortality
4 Izzet Charm
4 Lightning Strike
4 Magma Jet
4 Mizzium Mortars
4 Possibility Storm
4 Search the City
4 Shock
4 Turn // Burn

Display deck statistics

All of the early burn to help keep the board clear and do some damage to my opponent. Turn five, resolve Search the City. Turn six, hopefully resolve Possibility Storms. COMBO

1. Play a card you exiled with StC. Triggers StC to get that card back to your hand because you cast it.
2. Casted card gets exiled. Search your deck for the next card that shares a type with it.
3. Cast the new card for free. If its a card you exiled with StC, you trigger StC again. :unsmigghh:

Possibility Storm tends to wreck control because if they counter a spell with it out, they might not draw another counter spell. And if they reveal a Sphinx's Revelation, it resolves for 0.
Elixir of Immortality is in there to help against any damage I take early on and to recursion all those burn spells I played in the early game. That way StC doesn't exile two shocks and I have two shocks in the graveyard from earlier in the game.

Glaring weaknesses: StC can be bounced and I'll lose the cards I exiled with it. I have no card draw. Outside of Quicken and Divination for early draw, I have no idea what could go in, so I'm really relying on Izzet Charm for that.

Any thoughts would be much appreciated!

Deckit
Sep 1, 2012

suicidesteve posted:

Well that certainly is silly. I like it.
Seems like Divination and the other instant card draw spell (I'm pretty sure there's a 4 CMC draw 2 or 3 instant?) would be helpful here. Omenspeaker for early setup/blocking, Frostburn for the same reason. Prognostic Sphinx is probably contrary to the point of the deck, but would definitely help with setting up for the Search. Ral Zarek is out there too.

Sideboard probably Ratchet Bombs, Pithing Needles, and idunno. Maybe Dissolve for against control?

Another glaring weakness: once you get that extra turn, how do you win?

Could add in Negates in the sideboard or Dispel against control. They just don't pair well when I slap down Possibility Storm. I wanna counter his stuff but get something else instead. It'd be in purely to protect storm and city as they come down against other counter spells, I think. Or could try shocking them in response to a spell they cast and hope I get a negate. :unsmith:

I was trying very hard to not add creatures so that Possibility Storm remains consistent. I don't feel I need early blockers if I can kill everything with burn. I guess there is inspiration for 4CMC and draw 2 at instant. Might try that!

Extra turn is just icing. The win condition of the deck is to burn someone down. Though I'll really feel I won if I pop StC. :buddy:

Deckit
Sep 1, 2012

So the Possibility Storm and Search the City deck didn't work out well. I play tested it a lot but it just didn't have the recursion or burn to handle creatures and an opponents life total. I'm tabling the idea for now. Maybe the other sets will add something to it that its missing.

I decided to try a U/W Search the City deck with a bunch of extra Azorius cards the girlfriend and I have accumulated. It started off with Daxos, Sphinx and Sweepers, Elixir of Immortality, Detention Spheres and Search the City. The deck would do fantastically until I played Search the City, where it would snag something I needed to survive for the next few turns against aggro. Or a card in my hand would get thoughteized out of my hand before I could play it and pop Search the City. After about 20-25 games yesterday, I didn't pop Search the City once. Tabling the idea while I indulge my inner rear end in a top hat.

Came up with a U/W after taking out Search the City components from it.

Deck: Cleansing

//Lands
4 Hallowed Fountain
11 Island
10 Plains

//Spells
4 Azorius Charm
2 Debtor's Pulpit
4 Detention Sphere
4 Disperse
2 Planar Cleansing
3 Quicken
4 Sphinx's Revelation
4 Supreme Verdict

//Creatures
1 Angel of Serenity
4 Daxos of Meletis
1 Medomai the Ageless
1 Thassa, God of the Sea
1 Heliod, God of the Sun

Display deck statistics

Couldn't find a way to deal with Planeswalkers and Gods outside of D. Sphere. So I added Planar Cleansing! Clears creatures, planeswalkers and enchantments. Disperse and D. Sphere feel really good together. I'd routinely bounce it back after removing early creatures (Say two Burning Tree Shamans), give those back to the player then Planar Cleanse everything away. D. Sphere a legendary, having the opponent play another then bouncing my D. Sphere to let the legendary rule do work felt good too. Then re-D. Sphere. :unsmigghh:

The gods survive Cleansing. I rarely get Thassa activated but her scry and unblockable are fantastic. Heliod giving me a mid and late game dump is nice as well. Debtor's Pulpit works well to stop Aetherling and Mistcutter Hydra, though I've had to Cleanse a few away. I might replace them with something else or sideboard them away. I love Daxos and Angel of Serenity. :allears:

Any thoughts or comments would be appreciated! I generally don't play white.

Deckit
Sep 1, 2012

When the deck had StC, it didn't have any singletons.

Deckit
Sep 1, 2012

I've won an FNM with a mono blue traumatize deck, but its not a fantastic strategy.

qbert posted:

I tried building a Dimir Mill/Control-ish deck for Standard because I wanna get on the Thoughtseize train. Don't know if it's viable at all, but maybe people here can offer some advice.

Lands
8 Swamp
7 Island
4 Watery Grave
4 Temple of Deceit
2 Mutavault

Spells
4 Thoughtseize
4 Breaking // Entering
3 Dimir Charm
3 Mind Grind
3 Hero's Downfall
3 Devour Flesh

Enchantments
4 Underworld Connections

Creatures
3 Duskmantle Guildmage
2 Consuming Aberration
1 Thassa, God of the Sea

Planeswalkers
3 Ashiok, Nightmare Weaver
2 Jace, Memory Adept

The plan is straightforward enough. Thoughtseize, Dimir Charm, and creature removal early on to disrupt their plans, then setup Underworld Connections for card draw, then make with the milling. Duskmantle+Breaking or Duskmantle+Jace can provide a quick win, but I don't necessarily need to rely on that. Thassa I threw in there because I figure a single swing of Consuming Aberration could win the match quickly.

Any thoughts on the main deck and/or sideboard would be appreciated.

I don't like Mind Grind personally. It looks like you're trying to extend the game by keeping the enemy board clear with kill spells and kill via Duskmantle mage skill. You're creature light and probably not going to be activating Thassa very often. Maybe -3 Dimir Charm and +3 Wall of Frost. They help a lot vs. aggro. If the double UU seems too steep for your mana curve, try Hover Barrier instead. Same cost but one U instead.

Fun suggestion: Quicken! End of turn Breaking, Mind Grind, Thoughtseize at the end of their draw step. :science:

Deckit
Sep 1, 2012

Getting in on devotion. WHITE DEVOTION! :science:

Deck: Mono White Devotion

//Lands
4 Nykthos, Shrine to Nyx
20 Plains

//Spells
4 Brave the Elements
2 Elspeth, Sun's Champion
1 Gideon, Champion of Justice
2 Rootborn Defenses

//Creatures
2 Angel of Serenity
2 Archangel of Thune
4 Boros Reckoner
3 Fiendslayer Paladin
1 Heliod, God of the Sun
4 Keening Apparition
4 Precinct Captain
4 Soldier of the Pantheon
3 Yoked Ox

//Sideboard
3 Blind Obedience
3 Rest in Peace
4 Celestial Flare
4 Glare of Heresy
1 Last Breath

Display deck statistics

I'm using cards I have access too. I'd prefer to be +1 Serenity and -1 Gideon. I think if I take this to an IQ or something serious, I'd have to cut something for more Rootborn defenses. (Supreme Verdiiiiiict! :argh:)

T1, Pantheon/Ox. T2 Precinct Captain, T3 Nkythos into Boros Reckoner, T4 Serenity/Elspeth. This is how I see good hands going.

I included Yoked Ox because my LGS has a lot of aggro players. Either Rakdos, Red Deck Wins or a classy lady using mono green beats like Scooze and Kalonian tusker. Could switch them out for another 1-drop, maybe Hopeful Eidolon? I want Brave the Elements to be used offensively as well as defensively, but I'll probably be clutching it close when fighting black decks.

Keening Apparition because almost every deck has some form of enchantment I'd like gone + its another two drop. Aside from Mono-Green. Not sure anyone runs Primevel Bounty these days.

Sideboard can be all kinds of loving crazy. There's Renounce the Guilds, Last Breath, more Yoked Ox, Imposing Sovereign instead of Blind Obedience.. I wanted to run Banisher Priest main board but I feel there is way to much spot removal to let it be a proper removal dude.

My biggest downfall with this deck is the lack of card draw. I want card advantage and drawing but white doesn't really have it outside of bringing in Angel of Serenity and bringing my people back from the graveyard if she bites it. I was going to try splashing blue for Sphinx's Rev but double UU is eeehh. Another friend already suggested splashing red for Boros charm.

Deckit
Sep 1, 2012

That still works. The creature is considered blocked after blockers are declared.

Deckit
Sep 1, 2012

My cube has both Sulfuric Vortex and Havoc Festival. We did a five player draft and did a Prism game after that. One of the players played both and almost killed everyone. Good times.

Deckit
Sep 1, 2012

I was trying to make a viable Simic deck and ended up having a lot of fun with Master Biomancer and Zegana. A tournament is coming up and I miss trying to make BUG, so I started brewing! Standard!

Deck: Super Friends

//Lands
4 Breeding Pool
2 Forest
1 Island
4 Overgrown Tomb
2 Swamp
3 Temple of Deceit
4 Temple of Mystery
4 Watery Grave

//Spells
3 Ashiok, Nightmare Weaver
2 Cyclonic Rift
2 Golgari Charm
2 Hero's Downfall
3 Jace, Architect of Thought
2 Putrefy
2 Simic Charm
2 Syncopate
2 Thoughtseize
3 Vraska the Unseen

//Creatures
2 Master Biomancer
1 Mistcutter Hydra
3 Pack Rat
3 Prophet of Kruphix
4 Sylvan Caryatid

//Sideboard
2 Progenitor Mimic
3 Doom Blade
3 Cremate
2 Thoughtseize
2 Mistcutter Hydra
3 Swan Song

Display deck statistics

Got a big toolkit but ultimately I feel it could be useful. Might replace Doom Blade in the sideboard with Abrupt Decay.
Pack Rat and Master Biomancer. :science:
I don't have any card draw outside of Jace. :ohdear: If I'm trying to keep the field clear with all my other spells, I might just end up sideboarding Cyclonic rift and putting in either Divination or Opportunity.

Deckit
Sep 1, 2012

I've been playing with the deck since and it evolved into:

Deck: Big Simic

//Lands
4 Breeding Pool
10 Forest
2 Island
4 Temple of Mystery
3 Nykthos, Shrine to Nyx

//Spells
4 Garruk, Caller of Beasts
1 Opportunity

//Creatures
3 Arbor Colossus
4 Burning-Tree Emissary
4 Elvish Mystic
3 Master Biomancer
2 Nylea, God of the Hunt
3 Polukranos, World Eater
2 Prophet of Kruphix
4 Sylvan Caryatid
4 Voyaging Satyr
3 Prime Speaker Zegana

Display deck statistics

Which is really close to how both of our decks ended up.

edit: oops posted an un-updated version of the deck

Deckit
Sep 1, 2012

Oh hey, you found my deck lists.:allears: I made that about an hour and half ago, then went to go take a shower. About to assemble it and play it against the girlfriend.

I was considering using Burning Tree Emissary so I could shenanigan out multiplies with Purphoros out or doing something like BTE into Young Pyromancer turn two. I like Frostburn better as a wall, however.

Deckit
Sep 1, 2012

When MURDERGOATS first got posted (ha!) I ran it at an FNM and went 2-2. Hadn't picked it up since. Someone, either here or at my FNM Mentioned Akroan and Purphoros and I was like "Dang!" So all credit to the original MURDERGOATS fellow for the core concept. I'm running a lot less removal than the original GOATS deck though. Lightning Strike hits enough creatures that I feel comfortable with it. I'd sideboard differently depending on match up though.

Deckit
Sep 1, 2012

I've tried really hard to make mill work, but every deck is too fast for it or control decks can get around you. I wasn't there for the FNM, but Mr. Peepers here is someone who also goes to my LGS and won an FNM with a mill-combo deck. The premise was setting up a lot of blue walls with devotion, drawing and then using Nykthos to cast Enter the Infinite, disard your hand and then cast Psychic Spiral to mill your opponents entire library. :science:

My advice if you are going to do it:

Against aggro decks, Wight of Precinct Six and mill is very devastating. Plop him down, then unbreakable. Milled 5 creatures of the 10 cards? 6/6. :buddy:
Mirko is pretty awesome and can dig deep into your opponents deck.
Lazav is too hard to cast. I've never actually gotten him to shape shift into anything worthwhile.
Ashiok generally has to be answered for by both aggro and control. I've stolen Boros Reckoner and sat there :smugdog: as poo poo.
Nightveil are fantastic for devotion and pretty good blockers! A mono-U player stole a plains from me. Then stole a sphinx's revelation. :gonk:

All in all, it could be fantastic but you have to be really lucky.

Deckit
Sep 1, 2012

Deck: Burning Zombies

//Lands
4 Blood Crypt
12 Mountain
8 Swamp

//Spells
2 Barrage of Expendables
4 Dreadbore
4 Wild Guess

//Creatures
4 Firefist Striker
4 Purphoros, God of the Forge
4 Rakdos Shred-Freak
4 Thrill-Kill Assassin
4 Tormented Hero
2 Underworld Cerberus
4 Xathrid Necromancer

Display deck statistics

Came up with this a day or so ago. Its what I'd like to try running but the girlfriend is using the Purphoros now and I'm too lazy to make proxies.

Cerberus is there to play as a threat, then sac and put everything in your hand to replay for more Purphoros procs.

Deckit
Sep 1, 2012

Fun deck I wanna try running for FNM.

Deck: Grixis be Millin'

//Lands
4 Blood Crypt
8 Island
3 Nykthos, Shrine to Nyx
1 Swamp
4 Temple of Deceit
4 Watery Grave

//Spells
4 Breaking // Entering
3 Hidden Strings
3 Mind Grind
4 Pilfered Plans
4 Quicken
2 Rakdos's Return
4 Claustrophobia

//Creatures
4 Wall of Frost
4 Nightveil Specter
4 Hover Barrier

//Sideboard
4 Wight of Precinct Six
4 Cremate
4 Psychic Strike
3 Woodlot Crawler

Display deck statistics

Notes:Was originally running Ultimate Price and Underworld Connections. I decided since I had such a higher commitment to blue devotion with the walls, I'd skip Ultimate Price and continue devotion and pseudo-removal with Claustrophobia. Going with blue devotion made me consider removing Underworld Connections as well. So I replaced it with Pilfered Plans. Also considering replacing ~something~ with Murmuring Phantasm (0/5 for 1U) since my LGS tends to have aggro players. Would likely drop Claustrophobia for it. edit: Or poo poo, Nightveil. I like his devotion but its not like he'll be swinging often.

Game Plan:Breaking turn 2, Wall up on turns 3, 4, 5. Quicken at the end of their turns with Pilfered Plans or medium Rakdos's Return/Mind Grind for a reasonable amount. Use Hidden Strings during my turn to untap Nykthos for much bigger Rakdos's Return/Mind Grind. Sideboard in Wight of Precinct Six against aggro decks, because a 8/8 on turn three after a Breaking on Turn 2 is fun.

Deckit fucked around with this message at 15:04 on Dec 13, 2013

Deckit
Sep 1, 2012

Extort and anything that hits "All opponents" counts for both heads across from you. So Gary and even low devotion becomes pretty deadly. Extort becomes better. Hell, the Primordials cycle from RtR become half decent. Enjoy the mechanics! :buddy:

Deckit
Sep 1, 2012

-1 Keyrune, +1 Purphoros. He's a big part of the engine and if you're not seeing him, that's all you can do unless you trade something out for draw. If you start feeling you see two or three of him per game, go back down one or pop in Pack Rats to pitch extras. My Purphy generally gets D.Sphered so I'm glad to have more of him.

Deckit
Sep 1, 2012

Happy Holidays everyone! I hope your last few days were not full of poo poo and you got loot from people you loved. Now onto cardboard crack. :unsmigghh:

I assembled a Maze's end deck for fun and then went 3-0 against Red Deck Wins, Mono-U and Green Devotion/Stompy Creatures. Then went 0-3 against Black Devotion. So I've assembled a sideboard!

Deck: Amazing End

//Lands
2 Azorius Guildgate
2 Boros Guildgate
2 Dimir Guildgate
3 Forest
2 Golgari Guildgate
2 Gruul Guildgate
1 Island
2 Izzet Guildgate
4 Maze's End
2 Orzhov Guildgate
2 Rakdos Guildgate
2 Selesnya Guildgate
2 Simic Guildgate

//Spells
1 Assemble the Legion
1 Crackling Perimeter
1 Cyclonic Rift
2 Druid's Deliverance
4 Fog
4 Riot Control
2 Selesnya Charm
3 Sphinx's Revelation
4 Supreme Verdict
2 Ętherize

//Creatures
4 Gatecreeper Vine
4 Saruli Gatekeepers

//Sideboard
2 Selesnya Charm
3 Crackling Perimeter
4 Gainsay
2 Glare of Heresy
4 Detention Sphere

Display deck statistics

Deck is fun to play and does really well against creature based decks. Selesnya Charm is there for Gods and stopping Obzedat, Ghost Dad. I really, really need to get it off against Black Devotion, because not gaining life is a huge hamper. Detention sphere's and Crackling Perimeters against Control decks, Detention spheres against Mono Black and Control. Gainsay vs Esper.

Killing Red Deck Wins with Crackling Perimeter felt good. :unsmith:

Deckit
Sep 1, 2012

Running three Slaughter Games in sideboard. I'm sticking away from Elspeth for now. Chances are someone has a way to deal with it more than Assemble the Legion. Plus I get to slap it down and yell "ASSEMBLE THE LEGION! :black101:"

Deckit
Sep 1, 2012

You could also run Legion's Initiative, to bring everything back in and re-ping with Fanatic of Mogis.

Deckit
Sep 1, 2012

AlternateNu posted:

Now, that's an interesting idea. Especially since you can summon Fanatic and pop Initiative pre-combat to give him haste. And it re-triggers BTE for free mana which is kind of ridiculously sick.

You'd have to use the mana they generate during that phase since mana disappears when phase changes occurs, but yes!

Deckit
Sep 1, 2012

Went 3-0 and then had to drop at an FNM for an emergency. Maze's End was a lot of fun to pilot. :3:
Deck: Amazing End

//Lands
2 Azorius Guildgate
2 Boros Guildgate
2 Dimir Guildgate
2 Forest
2 Golgari Guildgate
2 Gruul Guildgate
2 Izzet Guildgate
4 Maze's End
2 Orzhov Guildgate
2 Rakdos Guildgate
2 Selesnya Guildgate
2 Simic Guildgate

//Spells
2 Crackling Perimeter
1 Cyclonic Rift
2 Druid's Deliverance
4 Fog
4 Riot Control
2 Selesnya Charm
3 Sphinx's Revelation
4 Supreme Verdict
2 Ętherize
3 Slaughter Games

//Creatures
3 Gatecreeper Vine
4 Saruli Gatekeepers

//Sideboard
2 Selesnya Charm
1 Crackling Perimeter
4 Gainsay
1 Slaughter Games
3 Detention Sphere
1 Assemble the Legion
3 Defend the Hearth

Display deck statistics

Round 1: Against a mono-black player. She was a bit new but mono-black is my worst match-up. She was running heavy discard too.

Game 1 I slaughter games'd Disciple of Phenax. She then Duress'd my Sphinx's Rev and landed two Garys in a row. I was at 2 life when I activated Maze's End for the win. Game 2 I named Slaughter Games'd Gary, because gently caress that card. Almost died to Xathrid Necromancer and her humans when I supreme verdict. Activated Maz'es End at 8 life.

Round 2: A youngish kid running a 75 card Jund Deck. I didn't feel very good about the games since they were one sided. 2-0 for me. :smith: I did help him to cut some cards though.

Round 3: Played against a U/W Control. I don't have this archtype made so I couldn't test against it before now. The games were really straightforward. Game 1: Played lands and fogged/Rioted Haunted Platemails and Mutavaults. He countered a lot of my cards like Sphinx's Rev and Aetherize but never did it for Fogs. I won at 8 life with Maze's End activation.

Game 2 was play a land and pass until turn 6 when he played Aetherling. I cyclonic rift'd it back to his hand. Won via Maze's end on turn 10.

I really, really enjoy playing it against control. Its fun to know that beyond Pithing Needle they don't have a big way to interact with my land wins. The deck is a joy and a little nail biting to play against aggro.

edit: round 3 was U/W not B/U.

Deckit fucked around with this message at 17:36 on Jan 4, 2014

Deckit
Sep 1, 2012

kizudarake posted:

I'm a little surprised and impressed by that build. I hadn't seen one that ran Selesnya Charm in the main before. Also surprised a little by the forests in your maindeck. Usually, when I tested 26 lands in my build, I always got flooded.

Forest are there for when I need to fog for that turn. They're generally in my hand until I need that green for the turn. Or if I want a Slaughter Games off turn 4 against a black deck.

Selesnya Charm is for all the Gods when they come online and Obzedat, since I have no way to deal with him. Its also been used to pump a Gatekeeper and trade with a Boros Reckoner and chump block smaller dudes in aggro.

Deckit
Sep 1, 2012

Soothing Cacophony posted:

As someone mega-late to the Maze's End train but loving the hell out of it, I love seeing this report, thanks :) . How do you deal with a Pithing Needle naming Maze's End? Wait until you have 9 then Cyclonic Rift (which seems incredibly vulnerable to counters) or just lean hard on the Crackling Perimeters and hope it sticks?

Also I'm poor and can't afford Sphinx's Revelation, so I've been trying out alt-draw spells. Right now I've got Divination/Urban Evolution, though I'd like to try out Opportunity in place of the latter. How big of a deal is the instant speed draw? I figure neither of those cards really does what Sphinx's does though, so maybe it's irrelevant.

Hello! If they Pithing Needle your Maze's End, you rely more on Crackling Perimeter and Assemble the Legion. Typically only control and mid-range decks are going to do that and if its game two, you can choose to sideboard in Detention Sphere to hit their Pithing Needle. Bonus points if you get two because they hit Maze's End and Crackling Perimeter. :unsmigghh:

Cyclonic Rift is also 7 to overload; typically against midrange and anything I've been fogging for three-four turns. You can absolutely bounce a Pithing needle at the end of their turn. If they want to counter something they can recast for 1, one less counter spell for you to worry about. :3:

I've seen other versions run Urban Evolution instead of Sphinx's Rev. Its a trade off between the two; ramping and getting more guild gates out and more cards in hand vs lasting long and getting cards. Urban is better vs Black Decks and Sphinx is worse because if they have an Erebos I haven't dealt with, the card draw better have something I can use.

I'd stick with 3 Urbans and 1 Opportunity if you can get the Sphinx's.

Deckit
Sep 1, 2012

Gravy Train Robber posted:

What do the current state of the art Maze's End Fog decks look like? I feel like putting one together in preparation for Kiora Atua coming out next month.

Went to a win-a-box tournament at my LGS on Saturday with the listed deck. Went 1-2-1. :smith:

Round 1: Dimir Mill
Game 1: Thought he was mono-black at first, playing temples of deceit for scry. Then he played Jace, Mind Adept. He 0'd me once and hit one of my Crackling Perimeters. Played a few more turns but he milled me out. I managed to Slaughter Games him once to at least look at what was in his deck. Running 1 of Traumatize, Ashiok, Consuming Abberation, Jace, Mind Adept. :drat:

Game 2: I Slaughter Games on turn 4 and nail the Jace in his hand with Slaughter Games. Turn 5, Slaughter Games Consuming Abberation. He top decks Traumatize and hits me. I play a Crackling Perimeter and begin hitting him for 6+ damage per turn. He plays Archeomancer and traumatizes me again. :negative: I kill him with about 5 cards left in my deck via Perimeter.

Game 3: He got mana hosed and it sucked for him. I Slaughter Games Traumatize this time because gently caress. I kill him via Perimeter about 7 turns later while he's sitting at 4 mana still.

Round 2: :gop: Control

Game 1: "Well gently caress," when I play three guild gates. Didn't see a Slaughter games the entire game. I was one turn away from activating Maze's End for the win when I ran out of Fogs and his Assemble the Legion overran me. He countered every Riot Control and Aetherize I played.

Game 2: Lasted a drat long time. He played Blind Obedience and proceeded to Extort the hell out of me. Cast Thassa and since I didn't have anything for him to D.Sphere, he'd cast them and not exile anything, just to extort some more. At one point I was 4 life. Before combat, I overloaded Cyclonic Rift, since he tapped out for extorting me. He re-played Thassa and Blind Obedience. I Slaughter Games D.Sphere. Checking through his deck, he has no other way to activate Thassa. :smug: I go back up to 16 life or so and activate Maze's End for a win. We agree to take a tie since we have 5 minutes or so left for our 3rd game.

Round 3: U/W Control

Game 1: Terrible draws for me. I get land flooded without having Maze's End, getting doubles of Dimir Gate, Selesnya Gate and Gruul gate and both forests. He ultimates Elspeth and counters my last fog.

Game 2: Turn 1 he plays Pithing Needle for Maze's End. I draw three Maze's End. He counters my D.Sphere. I slaughter games Elspeth. I die to Aetherling when I run out fogs and riot controls, of the 5 I played, he countered 3.

Round 4: Boros Burn

Game 1: Die to Chandra's Phoenixs' early damage I didn't fog because I thought it was a RDW's with a slow draw. I'm at 16 when he unloads triple Boros Charm on me, then Warleader Helix's me on the next turn.

Game 2: I don't really have anything to stop burn, so I "aggressively" fog and riot control. He skull cracks through one of the riot controls to deal lethal damage with Young Pyromancer, Chandra Phoenix and tokens.

Was pretty :smith: at my draws and match up for the last two rounds, respectively.

I think if I go forward with the deck, I'm going to turn it into a more tool box deck and see how it does that way. A Golgari Charm would have helped in quite a few matches. Putrefy, which I think The_frozenflame suggested, would have been great too.

Deckit fucked around with this message at 16:13 on Jan 6, 2014

Deckit
Sep 1, 2012

Yeah, it was The_Frozen Flame.

Aside from mulling aggressively and shuffling more than usually, most of that is what I was doing.

Is your version running more creatures for Hold the Gates?

Deckit
Sep 1, 2012

Mezzanon posted:

Has anybody been able to put together a workable Izzet Blitz deck since rotation? A guy at my FLGS just started playing magic recently and he has his heart set on Izzet colours. He's been trying counter/burn for the last two weeks, and he's having fun, but he's tired of going 0-4 and 1-3 at FNM every week. So I'm thinking of helping him. Also, I'd like to keep it kinda budget, since it's just a casual FNM deck.

Considerations:

- I am considering 4x Goblin Electromancers instead of 4x Fluxchargers because the ability to drop the mana cost for overloads is awesome.

- Cut the gates and 1x island and 1x mountain for 3x breeding pool and 3x stomping ground so that late game you can Armed a Nivix Cyclops, Dangerous a chump, swing with both, and let the cyclops do mass damage.

- Aqueous Form: Sure it's an alright draft card, but am I putting too much importance on unblockable (the deck loving needs unblockable)

Brewed this up.
Deck: Izzet Budget Blitz?

//Lands
8 Island
4 Izzet Guildgate
10 Mountain

//Spells
2 Aqueous Form
4 Armed // Dangerous
2 Bioshift
4 Dynacharge
4 Mizzium Skin
4 Teleportal
4 Titan's Strength
2 Dispel

//Creatures
4 Nivix Cyclops
4 Nivmagus Elemental
4 Two-Headed Cerberus

Display deck statistics

If Magnus aren't budget enough, replace them with Blistercoil and the Bioshifts with 2 more Dispels. Whoops, forgot steamvents. Add those in.

Mizzium and Dispel to help protect your Nivix/Cerberus. Swing for Double Strike and Unblockable combos. Can also eat every small spell you play, giving Nivix the +3 for every spell cast, give him or Cererbus Unblockable, then Bioshift all the tokens from Niv Magus to Nivix/Cerberus. :unsmigghh:

BLUNDERCATS! noooo posted:

I made a budget Land Destruction deck that seems to really hold its own at FNM:

Shutting down 1 of my opponent's 2-3 colors was enough to win me the match. This version of the deck is more robust than what I used last week, and last week actually performed well. Last FNM I lost to: Green/White aggro and Black control, but won against: Green/Red midrange and W/U/B control.

What did I learn? Anger of the Gods is important against Pack Rats. Don't try to Destroy Mutavaults because they can be transformed into creatures and your "Destroy non-creature permanent" spell fizzles. Need at least one more win condition besides Ember Swallower just in case; OR just destroy enough lands to bring him out safely.

Things I did to it after FNM:
A. Added Burnished Hart. For blocking+sacrificing to get 2 more lands into play. Could have been super useful against the two decks I lost to.
B. Removed 5 unnecessary creatures (Axebane Guardian + defenders, for mana). Replaced with Burnished Hart and Voyaging Satyr.

Things I WANT to do:
A. Trade up to a Xenagos, the Reveler or two.
B. Trade up to scry lands.
C. Get rid of the Chromatic Lanterns if possible, to replace with something more viable (depending on how they perform).

My goal was to create a deck for under $20 that could be viable at FNM and this seems to be it. I love gimmicky decks and Land Destruction really works if they are unable to counter (on average) 1 land being destroyed per turn; 2 once it REALLY gets going.

Thoughts, critiques, etc?

Oh dang I like that list. Maybe Ghor-clan Rampager instead of Chromatic for some meat and one-time trample on Ember Swallower.

Deckit fucked around with this message at 19:18 on Jan 7, 2014

Deckit
Sep 1, 2012

Any thought goons? I'm adding a Xenagos later today when I trade for it, but any suggestions would be helpful. About to go play test.

Deck: Xena-Dino

//Lands
12 Forest
3 Nykthos, Shrine to Nyx
4 Stomping Ground
4 Temple of Abandon

//Spells
3 Destructive Revelry
3 Domri Rade
2 Garruk, Caller of Beasts

//Creatures
4 Courser of Kruphix
4 Elvish Mystic
3 Fanatic of Xenagos
2 Arbor Colossus
4 Polukranos, World Eater
3 Stormbreath Dragon
4 Sylvan Caryatid
4 Voyaging Satyr
1 Xenagos, God of Revels

//Sideboard
4 Mistcutter Hydra
2 Plummet
3 Gruul Charm
3 Xenagos, the Reveler
3 Nylea's Disciple

Display deck statistics

Deckit
Sep 1, 2012

With the acquisition of the temple scrylands, I wanted to give Bant a try. Its been a lot of fun.

I'd like any critique anyone could offer up! The sideboard is my thrown together answer for games 2 and 3 against mono-B, when they sideboard out all their kill spells for duress/seize.

The ideal play against most decks is turn 4 Verdict, turn 5 Kiora/Urban. I really like the amount of card draw and the ability to play creatures at the end of the other players turns/or revs.

Deck: Crashin' Thrashin' Bant

//Lands
4 Breeding Pool
4 Hallowed Fountain
2 Island
4 Temple Garden
3 Temple of Enlightenment
4 Temple of Mystery
4 Temple of Plenty

//Spells
3 Advent of the Wurm
4 Detention Sphere
3 Kiora, the Crashing Wave
2 Quicken
4 Selesnya Charm
3 Sphinx's Revelation
4 Supreme Verdict
4 Syncopate
4 Urban Evolution
2 Ętherize

//Sideboard
4 Swan Song
3 Archangel of Thune
4 Fiendslayer Paladin
4 Loxodon Smiter

Display deck statistics

Deckit
Sep 1, 2012

Did a lot of testing with friends last night. Great against mono-U, decent games 1 against mono-B, games 2 and 3 are iffy. Azorius is a very poor match up. Might stick with it or convert it into a Simic mid-range deck. Or make Rakdos out of mono-B shell. Or Dimir using Notion Thief + Whispering Madness. :unsmigghh:

Deckit
Sep 1, 2012

Bile blight won't hit the mutavaults if you hit the rats. I did however kill two mutavaults someone was using to pump up their rats. It is kind of dangerous.

Deckit
Sep 1, 2012

Went 5-1 on Game day, winning first place in swiss finals with Bant.

Deck: Crashin' Bant

//Lands
4 Breeding Pool
4 Hallowed Fountain
2 Island
4 Temple Garden
3 Temple of Enlightenment
4 Temple of Mystery
4 Temple of Plenty

//Spells
3 Advent of the Wurm
4 Detention Sphere
3 Kiora, the Crashing Wave
2 Quicken
4 Selesnya Charm
3 Sphinx's Revelation
4 Supreme Verdict
3 Syncopate
3 Jace, Architect of Thought
2 Dissolve
2 Azorius Charm

//Sideboard
3 Swan Song
4 Mistcutter Hydra
4 Skylasher
2 Ętherize
2 Dissolve

Display deck statistics

Its a ton of fun to pilot, and is very flexible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deckit
Sep 1, 2012

BizarroAzrael posted:

Did you get Kiora's ultimate off much? Seems resilient, and any pair of 'walkers looks good to me.

Here's my latest, Borzhov/Oros/Dega Midrange/control, though I need to trim the sideboard.

To take you through the thought process, I knew I wanted it to be mainly black, opening with Thoughtseize and using the removal suite. I then looked at the stuff in the other colours I was considering and tried to figure what works best:

I got Kiora's ultimate off three times and I won every game. Endless Krakens is hard to deal with. One player dide manage to survive for about 4 turns after it was popped.

For your Oros Midrange, the mutavaults might be a hard inclusion since a lot of your spells are double B.

• Locked thread