Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

YeehawMcKickass posted:

Welcome to Year Three of the Brewhaus! Now with the DON’T POST YOUR ENTIRE COMMANDER LIST IN THE loving THREAD rule in the title. Year two went really well, with lots of discussion on standard stuff and the invention of the Breakfast Burrito. The biggest problem we’ve run into --as you can probably guess-- has been a rash of people ignoring the Use a link to deckstats/tappedout for your Commander/EDH DECKS rule. Complete Commander lists are annoying to scroll past, just post a link to the list or a MODO screenshot if it’s online.
I made this for you:

Shrecknet fucked around with this message at 01:33 on Sep 30, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

I had a terrible thought when I saw M14, that Accorder's Shield is the card High Priest of Penance was looking for. High Priest as a 1/4 is way, way scarier.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

So based on Owen Turtenwald's Mono-Red Aggro, I've been looking at it and trying to figure out what it loses to.

The big things I notice are "anything with 3 toughness" as only 4 cards in the deck can actually kill such a thing and Jace, Architect of Thought

Been toying with Deadguy Red 2013:
code:
1 drops
4 Rakdos Cackler
4 Firedrinker Satyr
4 Foundry Street Denizen

2 drops
4 Burning-Tree Emissary
4 Firefist Striker
4 Gore-House Chainwalker
2 Goblin Shortcutter

3 drops
2 Chandra's Phoenix

Spells
4 Lightning Strike
4 Shock
2 Dynacharge

Lands
14 Mountain
4 Blood Crypt
4 Mutavault

Sideboard
3 Boros Reckoner
1 Skullcrack
3 Illness in the Ranks
3 Flames of the Firebrand
2 Mizzium Mortars
3 Peak Eruption
The thinking is, tokens will be a thing - Illness gives me an easy way to deal with them and keep burn held back for actual creature cards. I don't like Mortars as much as Dreadbore in this situation, but then again, I'm not a huge fan of running Rakdos Guildgate either, which would be required for Dreadbore.

The Dynacharge pair let me sneak through lethal on turn 4 without needing to commit as much, vs the Phoenixes which are much slower (two hasty power on 3 isn't super, and getting it back is minimum 8 mana over 2 turns, not exactly my strong suit)

I also looked at Hellraiser Goblin, since he does everything the hammer does (gives my team haste) and swings for 2 as well.

Shrecknet fucked around with this message at 20:56 on Oct 3, 2013

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

jassi007 posted:

have you considered legion loyalist? he sure does like dynacharge and he also makes tokens a joke.
Is Legion Loyalist better or worse than Foundry Street Denizen? I ask because it looks like Owen didn't play Loyalist, and there's probably a reason for that.

Elephant Ambush posted:

Isn't that what the burn is for in those matchups?
Only 4 pieces of burn can kill a Centaur Healer without help.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

I just tweeted @OwenTweetenwald asking why he runs Foundry Street Denizen over Legion Loyalist. Ball's in his court now.

I mean, here's some plays:

t1: FSD
t2: BTE -> Firefist Striker, swing for 3
t3: Chandra's Phoenix, swing for 8, 1 creature can't block.

t1: Legion Loyalist, swing for 1
t2: BTE -> Firefist Striker, swing for 1
t3: Chandra's Phoenix, swing for 7, tokens and 1 other creature can't block

Foundry Street Denizen ends up being 11 vs 9 damage over the first 3 turns. Not sure if that's worth "tokens can't block and your team is First Strike and Trample."

Shrecknet fucked around with this message at 21:14 on Oct 3, 2013

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Elephant Ambush posted:

Good idea.

My best guess right now would be that with all the 1-drops he can potentially be 3/1 or even 4/1 for a turn or two. Additionally, I'm guessing this deck really doesn't care as much about toughness 3 or higher and could probably just swing with everything every turn for the sheer damage and not care about losses.

Man, I really want to find room for a Chandra in here, because "one-sided Howling Mine" sounds loving awesome at 2RR, even though it would completely destroy what the deck is doing and turn it into some sort of Big Red or AIR monster instead of Deadguy or Sligh.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Elephant Ambush posted:

I don't see a problem with a singleton Chandra in there in place of one of her Phoenixes or something.

Chandra doesn't actually do very much the turn she comes down (burn for 1 and falter? not super for 2RR), and wanting to stretch the game to turn 5 isn't something I'm a fan of in Deadguy Red. It's the same reason I despise Hammer of Purphoros in these sorts of lists (but in a slower, more card-advantage-focused deck like Big Red I would adore it)

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

burntnorton posted:

Running 4 AEtherlings and no one else leaves the deck vulnerable to Council of the Absolute
Read
The
Friendly
Card

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Do Polukranos and Deadbridge Goliath play together as well as I'm imagining in my head?

Edit: Read the Friendly Card; they do not.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Zoness posted:

Why wouldn't they?

Scavenge onto Polly to make him a 10/10 and then eat more dudes (since he will survive targeting more creatures with more toughness). Synergy!
Making Polukranos a 10/10 via scavenge then monstrous for 1 only lets you deal 1 damage, not 6.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Entropic posted:

So in Breakfast Burrito, you can replace Lord of Extinction with the original Lhurgoyf and it will make no difference 99% of the time except for the extra style points you'll get, right?

Incorrect, Lhurgoyf only gets bigger based on creatures (which I doubt you have 20 of); Lord is a 53/53 most of the time.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Jet Set Jettison posted:

Touche sir...

Still, the deck needs something to slow down aggros first turns and a 1/3 for 2 does that. He's even a back up Murderking.

Murderduke

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Zoness posted:

That's like, the exact opposite reaction you should have :psyduck:. 3 toughness is like, nowhere near as good as 4 toughness on a 2-drop.

but 1B is way easier to cast than RR

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

I've been toying with a Dimir Aggro idea that runs Wight of Precinct Six, Tome Scour, Breaking and Nighthowler. (also the Hidden Strings / Agent of Fate bullshit)

Is this a terrible idea y/n?

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Siets posted:

I like Wight of Precinct Six a lot, but I think the better way to pull it off is going to be targeted discard cards like Thoughtseize along with a really heavy removal package. That way you aren't gambling with mill hoping to hit creatures, and are instead sending their played threats straight to the graveyard. Devour Flesh, Essence Scatter, and Far/Away are all really great cards to play right now and all feed the Wight nicely. If you want to have a little mill in there, Balustrade Spy isn't a terrible body (though he's not great for 4-mana), but being a flier he might also help to enable the Hidden Strings shenanigans a bit.

Cloudfin Raptor was gonna be my Hidden Strings buddy :(

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

I hate drainpipe vermin more than any other one-drop printed in the last decade. Seriously, the card should read "When Drainpipe Vermin dies, target player discards a card. At the beginning of each upkeep, exile a swamp you control. If you don't, Drainpipe Vermin loses all abilities until end of turn."

That's what its text actually says, they just worded it in a way that makes you hate it less. I'd rather play Shock than Drainpipe Vermin.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Captain Filth posted:

Bt he is so drat adorable

A valid point. :wcc:

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Seems silly not to at least sideboard Illness in the Ranks for random wins vs UDW and to make bacon tokens not hurt as much until/if you can't Rachet Bomb

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Deckit posted:

Holy poo poo Illness in the ranks. Thank you. :buddy:
While we're posting cards from RtR block that you may not have seen, Rapid Hybridization is a card that exists, fucks people over and gives them tokens. Not as good with Illness, but still solid against giant fuckoff guys (especially monstrous, because of the way the trigger is worded- you can make them pay to activate, then give them a Frog Lizard and they get no monstrous effect)

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

mcmagic posted:

I'm talking about in addition to 4 Ash's.

It's good versus Ash Zealot. It's also a single card that swings for 4 power post-wrath, giving you an immediate threat that demands a 1:1 answer or the opponent is right back in the hole.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Yeah, Ash Zealot and Shred-Freak both don't play nice with BTE (a fact that allowed me to win at least 2 mirror matches by pooping my hand out faster), but I've seen Frostburn Weird out of many boards as an answer to both the mirror and control decks packing wrath.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Mikujin posted:

Cards that I noticed you are not running that you probably should be: Shock, Ash Zealot, and Chandra's Phoenix. The former two are absolutely amazing. Against control players, you can drop shock T1 and not feel bad about it. Against weenie players it's almost always going to be R: Kill a dude, which is ALWAYS good for keeping the line clear for your guys to swing.
Echoing the love for Shock. I am continually blown away by the number of people who recommend running Magma Jet over Shock, and I told them over and over how wrong they were. They disagreed with me - then I proceeded to go 13-0 over two game days with Shock instead.

The thing is, people only compare it to Lightning Bolt, and don't realize how important actually costing 1 is. Scrying is nice, but two turns from now the game should be over - I don't need to set up my draws!

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Jabor posted:

Just run Ratchet Bomb if you're that scared of tokens.
Or legion loyalist, because are you really scared of some other deck actually trying to race you?

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

BigRed0427 posted:

1: Right now i'm split between the Firefist Striker and the Firedrink Satyr. I could use another powerful one drop but his drawback kind of scares me. The Firefist Striker might not be THAT reliable.
2: I do want to add more mutavaults but it's not a high priority for me right now.
3: My sideboard is in flux right now. I do have ideas based on netdecking (A few like Act of Treason and Barrage of Expendables.) I can use any advice for the sideboard right now.
1) Both of those cards are amazing and you should run both. Seriously, if you think "R: deal 4 damage to your opponent before he can even get a 3rd land down" is bed, you're dumb and I'm sorry. That he also gets through Omenspeaker and (importantly) Sylvan Caryatid is amazing. Remember, if you're at 1 and your opponent is at 0, you win the game just as much as if you were at 17.

2) Mutavault is amazing and you should run 3+ (I'm not 100% on 4 because it doesn't play nice with BTE, but then, neither does Ash Zealot). Mutavault also makes Firefist Striker EXPONENTIALLY better.

3) Your sideboard should be based on your local shop, not a netdeck. Every other player in my area is on UW or Esper, so I've got to run extra skullcracks for Sphinx's Revelation. Your meta may be different.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Deckit posted:

Any thoughts or comments would be appreciated! I generally don't play white.
Running singleton anything and Search the City seems foolhardy

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

I've seen jokers playing around with the Ordeals and Auratog, too (it was timeshifted!), since they don't need to be sacc'd to their own effect to trigger.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

FriggenJ posted:

Need some help with this Standard Red Deck (Online):

I can't really afford to put in Ash Zealots or Boros Reckoners.
I don't like Ash Zealots, but if you're running Fanatic of Mogis, you really need Big Recks to make Fanatic worth it. Sorry, that's just the way it is.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Nissir posted:

In EDH don't you up the poison counters to 20 for a kill?

You might be thinking of 15 for 2HG

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Brillo_Pad posted:

I built it, and I like it so far, but I feel like Boros charm should be in the main. Otherwise, there just aren't many ways to remove a creature with more than three toughness.
Do you mean to say "Mizzium Mortars" or "I can't read cards"?

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

tzirean posted:

I cut Sun Droplet from the original, apparently stupidly, because it didn't seem substantial enough.
The thing that makes Sun Droplet good (that most people miss) is that it says "each upkeep," not "your upkeep," so in multiplayer it is exponentially better.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

C-Euro posted:

So if the blockers aren't around anymore, how are the attacking creatures still blocked?

Think about it flavorfully:

That Fire Elemental comes roaring over, ready to bash in the skull of the puny champion opposite his master, when suddenly, a goat appears in front of him.

"Not a problem," the Fire Elemental thinks. "I'll just pull my fist back and -"

Suddenly, the goat disappears in a spray of blood and magic. The Fire Elemental cranes its flame-covered head to see Tymaret nearby, clutching his fist full of dead-goat energy and flinging it at the Fire Elemental's master. The impact seems devastating.

The Fire Elemental's fist is still in the air, it realizes, and never one to waste the chance to smash something, flattens and ignites the ground in front of it where a goat recently was.

His work done, he returns to his master's side of the battlefield, exhausted from the fighting, but ready to do it again next turn.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

In the Rakdos deck, have you considered maindeck Dark Betrayal? It's dead against Mono-U Devotion, but hits Esper (hard) game 1, which is the one you need to win pre-board, and can also do work on opposing monored decks against an errant Cackler and not be totally dead.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

mcmagic posted:

Orzhov charm is a star because it brings back boros elite's as well as bounces stuff back to your hand and destroys creatures in a pinch with the fact that it can't reanimate Soldier of the Pantheon being it's biggest drawback here.
Yes it can. Soldier only has pro-multicolored on the battlefield. In the graveyard, it can be targeted by Orzhov Charm like any other 1 drop

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

AlternateNu posted:

Can you guys explain to me why Voice of Resurgence is still $30+ when Naya/Selesnya isn't even played that much in Standard? Is there some ridiculous legacy/modern deck that everyone uses it for?

Hi.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

They're expensive and a bitch to find sealed, but you guys should really, REALLY be playing the Archenemy decks (you can probably get lists and build the actual decks then buy the Archenemy plot cards for free on eBay.)

They do exactly what you are trying to do (have fun and a little light role-playing while playing cards)

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Rutibex posted:

:aaa: I had no idea this variant even existed. This is absolutely perfect. We used to be a D&D group before we started branching out into other games and this just screams D&D to me. Thanks for the suggestion!
Yeah, if you're not married to Magic, the (now-dead) WoW TCG did something similar (Raid Decks) that will be basically free online (you can probably buy huge loving lots of WoW TCG stuff for nothing on eBay right now), and they were a lot of fun. I like the WoW TCG immensely because it fixes quite a few problems with MtG. PA did a comic basically explaining how Raid Decks/Archenemy works:

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

GoutPatrol posted:

Deck: Stop Hitting Yourself

Main idea is to burn/chain/path things out of my way until a Reckoner/Doll hits the board, then blow everything up. I have no idea about how to make a sideboard for modern, too.
Is your area getting its first modern tournament at a LGS, or is your store full of grinders with the card base to actually play modern? If you're just playing for laffz, throw some stony silences and Rest in Peace's in the board and call it good (maybe a dismember or two for infect, since it's cheap and the cards in it are mostly recent)

Otherwise, just play Pyromancer's Ascension storm, since it's fast as hell, pretty cheap other than the mana (which you should have or be going for anyway), and unless they're packing graveyard hate, you pretty much beat all tier 2 decks and you're a coin flip against top decks.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Both Gnawing Zombie and Returned Phalanx would be amazing stall pieces in that deck.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Does anyone have the most up-to-date Rb Human Aggro deck with Xathrid Necromancers? I'm looking for something budget to steal wins from grinders at my FNM and make them go on tilt by beating them with bad cards.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Samael posted:

http://www.mtgtop8.com/event?e=5948&d=234498 This is the usual build, though with BNG out now some of the cards may change. (Pain Seer for shredfreak maybe), personally I would put 4 dark betrayal in the SB for thoughtseizes for more of a budget option.

I've got the thoughtseizes and shocks, I'll sleeve this up, see how it goes.

• Locked thread