Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Wooooo. New thread! First off, thanks to Yeehaw for posting the last few decks from the last thread.

To the deck: I would actually mainboard the Soldiers of the Pantheon. He's a huge one drop and even if your opponent doesn't throw out Rakdos Cackler or Dryad Militant turn 1, it is big damage for a fast heroic deck. That having been said, I would either throw in a second Ajani or sideboard him. Planeswalkers don't do much for you. (It would be nice if he triggered heroic but sadly...)

I would also swap out the divine favors for Act of Valor (or better...two more Dauntless Onslaughts) since sorcery speed 2-for-1-able pumps are pretty shaky.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

suicidesteve posted:

Yeah I'm pretty sure this is wrong. He's only not a creature when he's in play and you don't have the devotion. I heard a level 1 judge say casting an Aura on a creature doesn't target that creature. I wasted 10 minutes looking it up so I could draw my card off of the Triton card draw heroic guy.:colbert:

Yeah. Gods are creatures in every zone EXCEPT on the field w/ less than 5 devotion.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

TheLawinator posted:

Hey, I've been messing around with this as my first standard deck. I'm not sure I have enough card draw and also I have no idea how I would deal with a critical mass of creatures besides splashing another color which I'd rather not do.

Deck: Dimir Control

//Main
2 Ętherling
4 Far // Away
4 Desecration Demon
2 Dissolve
2 Doom Blade
2 Essence Scatter
4 Hero's Downfall
2 Read the Bones
2 Syncopate
2 Ultimate Price
2 Ashiok, Nightmare Weaver
2 Opportunity
2 Whip of Erebos
4 Temple of Deceit
4 Dimir Guildgate
4 Watery Grave
8 Swamp
7 Island

Display deck statistics

I don't think you need 4 x Guildgates AND 4 x Temples. Eight dual lands should be enough with just the temples and shock lands.

That having been said, I would go for more Read the Bones to replace the Opportunities. You don't want to need 6 mana just to draw. And drop 2 x Hero's Downfall for 2 more Doom Blades. You can sideboard them out if necessary and you won't be killing Planeswalkers as much as you'll be killing creatures.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Boco_T posted:

I think I can live without Ajani. That was the only card I wasn't able to trade into today based on this deck list, and I think you're right.

I also think you're right about getting rid of the Divine Favors, even if Ethereal Armor is the major theme that'll still leave 16 enchantment cards in the deck. Having those Hopeful Eidolons helps.

I need to try and figure out where the Soldiers of the Pantheon will go, but now that I think about it with Phalanx Leader and Fabled Hero I'm don't think I'd ever really plan to target the Favored Hoplite unless it was a last resort.

Also, how do you feel about the removal, that's the biggest question I have. I guess it's an aggro deck so I'm okay with the Brave and Gods Willing as "avoidance" to sneak damage through, and then the Pacifism and Spear of Heliod and combat tricks for bigger threats. Should I upgrade Pacifism to Arrest? Sideboard's a blank slate, everything in there now is a "possible/placeholder."

Finally, would Mutavault fit in this? I pulled a Stormbreath in this week's draft and I also have an M14 Chandra so even if it's a budget deck I could trade those for 3 Mutavaults if there's a possibility for value in doing 3 + 18 Plains instead of 21 Plains.

Thanks for the help!

Deck: WW Ethereal

//Lands
21 Plains

//Spells
3 Brave the Elements
3 Chosen by Heliod
4 Dauntless Onslaught
4 Ethereal Armor
4 Gods Willing
2 Pacifism
2 Spear of Heliod

//Creatures
4 Fabled Hero
4 Soldier of the Pantheon
1 Heliod, God of the Sun
4 Hopeful Eidolon
4 Phalanx Leader

//Sideboard
4 Avenging Arrow
3 Banisher Priest
3 Celestial Flare
2 Congregate
3 Smite
4 Glare of Heresy

Display deck statistics

Here's the kicker. You should decide on two major things: 1. how fast you want your deck to be and 2. how important is the heroic mechanic for you. Right now, you're looking to be lower-mid-range-ish. You have 8 x 1-drops, but Eidolon is better used as an aura. It appears your big damage is going to be Gods Willing or Brave the Elements a Fabled Hero and pump him all to hell for massive double-strike.

You're not looking to be on the defensive at all. (And mind you, the Gods Willing and Braves are just as good offensive options as defensive, so they don't really count.) Therefore, I would take out the Pacifisms and Chosen by Heliods. They don't up your attack, and you can ignore defenders with GWs and Braves.

This is one of those decks that wants consistency more than anything. You want 4 x of's for everything you're expecting to draw multiples of.

But, if you're willing to make your deck a little slower, and you want enchantments to help with Ethereal Armor and screw with your opponent, you could throw in Blind Obedience. It kills hasters, leaves your opponent open at extra turn, and lets you use random stray mana to ping your opponent with Extort. (That does mean you'd probably want to bump the top of your mana curve to 4 or 5 though.)

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

inSTAALed posted:

Add Duskmantle Guildmages. Activate their first ability twice, then use Jace, Memory Adept's 0 ability.

Win game.

Guaranteed to work every time. Not even a little bit gimmicky.

I normally don't play black, so I never really saw that. That's freakin' hilarious.

Just weenie rush the guy with Rakdos Cacklers, Tormented Heroes, and Cloudfin Raptors until turn 5 Jace, MA. Turn 6 Duskmantle, activate, mill, burn for remainder.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

BigRed0427 posted:

I decided to try and make some changes to the U/R Young Pyromancer deck Zoness built for me after reading a couple of articles. I came up with this.

I was concerned about so few creatures so I decided to try and add the Spellheart Chimera, plus I decided to move Mizzium Mortars as a sideboard for decks that use bigger creatures. Plus I figure Izzet Charm could be used depending on my situation.

You'll never want more than 2 Hammers in your deck, so you can drop one from the sideboard. And since you're only running 10 spells that work off of Goblin Electromancer, you may just want to drop him altogether. If you were running more 1R or 1B (like Cyclonic Rift, maining Mizzium, Essence Scatter, or Negate), he would probably be worth it. Nivix Cyclops would make a good replacement, though running 4 may be a bit much. Maybe 2 or 3 with a couple extra spells?

Edit: Oh, and you'll want some Counterfluxes in the sideboard for going against UW and Esper control decks. Turn 6 with a Hammer out is much nicer when you can keep your Spellheart from being countered.

AlternateNu fucked around with this message at 02:57 on Oct 3, 2013

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

BigRed0427 posted:

Ok, Changes made.

Deck: Izzet Blitz

//Lands
8 Island
2 Izzet Guildgate
8 Mountain
4 Steam Vents

//Spells
3 Chandra, Pyromaster
3 Izzet Charm
3 Magma Jet
3 Mizzium Mortars
3 Quicken
4 Shock
4 Steam Augury

//Creatures
4 Guttersnipe
3 Nivix Cyclops
4 Spellheart Chimera
4 Young Pyromancer

//Sideboard
3 Peak Eruption
3 Annul
2 Hammer of Purphoros
3 Counterflux
2 Purphoros, God of the Forge

Display deck statistics

My biggest sticking point right now is over Mizzium Mortars or Lightning Strike. Someone already suggested cutting Quicken.

I love Quicken, personally. A one mana cantrip that triggers all your dudes? Yes please! And being able to Quicken a Mizzium is really nice when your opponent thinks his guys are safe from errant Lightning Strikes and Shocks. You may also want to consider sideboarding a few Electrickery. 1R to ping all of your opponent's guys for 1 is devastating against other token decks like YP, Master of Waves, and Elspeth. That is a meta call, though.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

kzin602 posted:

Izzet Staticaster worked really well for me pre-rotation against the human tokens decks. Haste and Flash means you can nail them in the middle of their mass token attack, or in response to a sacrifice; I don't know if there's going to be a deck fueled by x/1 tokens in the current meta but he was a pretty good two of in the sideboard.

It is kind of superfluous in this deck since we want lots of instants and sorceries. We already have 3 sets of creatures with 3cmc, and Statiscaster doesn't hit everything on the field. An overloaded Electrickery will not only tag the tokens, but will also kill the YP, itself (plus any other weenies like Firefist Striker) and allows you to ping a 2 toughness dude while blocking with a 1/1 token of your own.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Zoness posted:

You can't really 'deal with' Aetherling - that dude usually sticks after several wraths and revelations have already put you out of the game. It's not a means to an end so much as something that shows up to perform the formality of actually killing the opponent.

Also Pithing Needle is actually pretty awesome because U/W doesn't devote a lot of slots to killing artifacts. D-sphere and Ratchet Bomb out of the sideboard are basically it.

The other part that's a huge difference between Ghor-Clan Rampager and the instant pump spells is that the former grants trample which is a huge deal.

Pretty much. I have seen some UW variants running Cyclonic Rift (I even side-deck a few) since instant-speed removal isn't a luxury most non-Esper control decks have. Blow P-Needle (or everything if overloaded) back to your hand at your end step just to create the gap needed to play everything I need and leave mana open to counter things I don't want to see come back.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

burntnorton posted:

Staticaster is in there because he has flash.

Running 4 AEtherlings and no one else leaves the deck vulnerable to Slaughter Games or Pithing Needle (or Council of the Absolute if anyone starts running that). Maybe 3x AEtherling and 1x Niv-Mizzet.

Steam Augury on its own doesn't seem like enough instant-speed draw to me. This deck's going to be doing nothing but going 1-for-1 early on. Thoughtflare definitely gets me the best 2 cards out of my next 4, which is more than Augury or Jace can say. Opportunity is just a little too slow, Inspiration too inefficient, and Divination is a sorcery.

I don't want to cut Turn // Burn because it's a way to deal with high toughness creatures (either through casting the full card or Turn + Staticaster) that also gives me supplemental cheap burn early on if I need it. But I do agree that 1 or 2 more counters are probably needed, either Syncopates or Essence Scatters.

Maybe this?

24 lands

3x AEtherling
1x Niv-Mizzet
3x Izzet Staticaster

3x Jace, AoT

4x Magma Jet
4x Izzet Charm
4x Steam Augury
3x Turn//Burn
3x Dissolve
3x Syncopate
2x Thoughtflare
2x Anger of the Gods
1x Cyclonic Rift

I shall preface this with...It's your deck. Run what you want.

And I looooove Niv-Mizzet. But really, you don't want Niv-Mizzet. :smith:

I still don't get why you're running Turn//Burn. You reeeeeeaaally don't care about high toughness creatures since you're going to be phasing right through them when you finally do attack.
I guess I just don't understand your thought-process. You have all of this draw and discard, but none of the cards that benefit off of either drawing, discarding, or the use of instants/sorceries. If you want a second win conditions, you really should but Spellheart back in there. Once you've tuned your counterspells properly, you should be able to keep him alive. And once you get mid/late-game you don't really need more than one good swing out of a Chimera to put your opponent within easy killing range of Aetherling.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

End of Life Guy posted:

So, I found a way to put 9 +1/+1 counters on Fabled Hero turn 4, and I want to throw other things at this and call it a deck.

Here's the Magical Christmasland combo:
t1: Plains
t2: Plains, Phalanx Leader
t3: Island, Fabled Hero
t4: Island, Phalanx Leader, Bioshift (targets both Phalanx Leaders) , Bioshift (target Phalanx leader you moved counters to and Fabled Hero)

I feel like I came up with half of an idea and can't quite implement it.
How do I turn this into a deck?
I think it's similar to Izzet Blitz, but it needs more cards to work, and the Fabled Hero isn't unblockable, but his buffs aren't temporary either, so if he's chumped on t4, he'll still need to be answered on t5.

I have two Elspeth, Sun's Champion and two Archangel of Thune that I think could make a good fit.
I also have a few Path of Bravery that could be worth a spot.

Bioshift means I'll need blue mana which means I have access to counter spells and card draws, and bounce spells, but should I use those, or keep the deck focused on pushing through damage with Aqueous Form , Cloudfin Raptor and Mizzium Skin ?

The blue half of Give//Take could help me draw for answers if I can't counter removal.

Does this sound like a normal white weenies deck with a splash of blue? Maybe I should fill it with Soldier of the Pantheon and other white 1/2 drops?

Or maybe, since Bioshift is also green, I could go green instead and gain some trample effects and Fleecemane Lion. I bet he'd like those counters just as well.

I've been tooling around with a Fabled Hero deck that just pumps him and makes him swing for 10+. And it is super easy to make him unblockable. Just run 4 x Gods Willing and 4 x Brave the Elements. Pro-whatever color your opponent's creature are. Blam!

Mine is a White/Red variant though and runs 4 x Titan's Strength, 4 x Swift Justice (yay lifelink), 4 x Boros Charm (for even more defense and double strike on non-Fabled Heroes), and 2 x Coordinated Assault.

I'm still working on the creature curve, though.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

kzin602 posted:

The deck NEEDS card draw of some kind, you quickly run out of removal against a weenie type deck. I feel like tormented hero is not doing anything, omenspeaker is probably better.

I wonder if there's anything to an Agent of the Fates and Far//Away or Disperse interaction.

Read the Bones?

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Zoness posted:

Ajani, Caller of the Pride, while not triggering Heroic, is really potent for strategies that involve sending a single fattie to dome the opponent.

Yeah...I guess I should consider him. Though, in a perfect world, you'd just need 2 x Titan's Strength on an empty field or 2 x Titan's Strength + Gods Willing or Brave the Elements when they have blockers.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Soothing Cacophony posted:

I posted my WR Heroic aggro deck earlier and ended up subbing out the Lightning Strikes for another Coordinated Assault and Madcap Skills. It's more focused on 1-2 drops with Heroic than on Fabled Hero itself, but Madcap Skills works really well with Heroic I'm finding, giving you pseudo-evasion, and makes your Gods Willings insane if they try to double block your pants'd up dude. I'm not totally sold on Brave the Elements though. It's a crazy good card, but I always feel like I should be running another Heroic trigger. That, plus the fact that I'm running Firefist Strikers that it doesn't hit, makes me a little wary on it.

Still the Heroic deck is crazy fun. Maybe not Tier 1 since getting your beefed up dude Azorius Charmed loving sucks, but drat if it doesn't feel good to swing with a 3/2 Anax and Cymede and end up actually hitting for 20 when they think they're safe to take a hit.

Yeah. It is one of those decks where you can't go all in unless your opponent is tapped out or you have a GW or BtE in hand. I like Madcap Skills, too, but I'm sticking with 1 mana boosts, only. You really want to win by turn 5 or (maybe) 6, and you really have to squeeze each boost/counter you can with the little mana you have. That is why I'm only running 2 x Coordinated Assaults because even though it is 2 creatures, unless you're targeting a Phalanx Leader, you will only get +1 with the heroic trigger for Fabled. The first strike is completely redundant. This is in comparison to Swift Justice where SJ is on primary color and gives you lifelink at least.

I'm considering running Dragon Mantel just because a 1 mana cantrip that triggers heroic is nice even at sorcery speed. And it is a good place to dump extra red mana.

Edit: What do you guys think about Messenger's Speed? (Just like...1 or 2 in the deck.) It is a great way to catch your opponent off guard on turn 5. Say you're going against Esper or UW control. They Supreme Verdict you on turn 4 (as they are want to do). So, they're tapped out. Turn 5 you drop Fabled Hero, throw on Messenger's Speed, and pump him with a Titan's Strength. That's 14 they didn't see coming.

AlternateNu fucked around with this message at 01:38 on Oct 8, 2013

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

SpookyLizard posted:

We ran the Maze's End Deck originally with Anger of the Gods. It didn't play much. We played it mostly against a friends decent-ish Naya aggro deck, and assuming the Mazes End could get running, it'd have a good chance to just keep going and nuking nonstop until it was ready to win. We didn't run any of fog effects, though.

Who had the brilliant idea to put fog into the deck? We didn't as it seemed like it would inevitibly be just dead, clumpy cards against control, which you'd eventually have enough of, since your initial win condition can't really be countered.

Did you guys ever think of playing Silence? One mana and it is great at stalling creature decks once they've been nuked.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

kzin602 posted:

Question about prot-color: If you aput prot-xxx on a creature before blockers are assigned, the opposing player cannot block your creature, but what if you put prot-xxx after the blocker is assigned? I would think the creature still gets blocked but gets to kill the blocker without taking any damage?

You are right. That is one weakness in that you have to preempt them if you want to go direct. And they can just chain a Lightning Strike or Doom Blade or whatever in response.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Man_alive posted:

I recently stepped back into the game just before this thread started.
When this thread was started, I read the WW ethereal deck, and started tickering with that. Tomorrow night I play in my first FNM since Kamigawa Block. My list looks barely anything like what was posted, but I am confident that I will be able to win at least 2 games tomorrow night with it, otherwise, have my rear end royally handed to me on a plate.

My list is below, please tell me how bad it really is. (Bear in mind I have no idea what the metagame is in the area, so I'm going in pretty blind here)

White Weenie
21 Plains

4 Brave the Elements
4 Battlewise Valor
3 Ordeal of Heliod
4 Pacifism
4 Dauntless Onslaught

4 Favored Hoplite
4 Phalanx Leader
3 Banisher Priest
4 Wingsteed Rider
1 Ajani, Caller of the Pride
2 Heliod, God of the Sun
2 Serra Angel

I haven't worked out a sideboard yet, but I'm half expecting to run into Elspeth, and thus need something like Glare of Heresey for those, maybe a couple of celestial flares, smite, and general removal along those lines. I may be able to borrow a couple of these for the night.

At this stage, the Serra Angels, and Wingsteed riders are in there for a set of Fabled Hero which I am hoping arrives tomorrow. If these arrive, I am considering cutting 1 Rider and the 2 Angels and putting three Heros in. Or should I cut the riders, and leave the Angels in?

What are your thoughts and/or suggestions for this list?

Really, my biggest recommendation would be to minimize the mana costs of your combat tricks, and you want as many of them instant-speed as possible. You're working with a smaller mana base than most other decks (outside of RDW). You have options in Swift Justice, Aerial Assault (which is easy flying for your Fabled Hero), and Gods Willing (for extra protection and a heroic trigger). You also want to run the Spear over Heliod, himself. You'll rarely have the devotion to use him, and vigilance pales in comparison to another +1/+1 for your weenies.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Mr. Peepers posted:

I still haven't had a chance to actually test this deck even though I came up with the list for it, but you can see my latest thoughts on it here. I think you might be right about there just not being enough pieces for it yet, though.

I was actually fiddling around with a UW version with Hidden Strings because Ciphering HD onto Fabled Hero lets you untap EVERYONE and trigger them. Even with a minimal field of Phalanx Leader and Fabled Hero you get:

Hidden Strings (tap their guys down)
Cipher onto Fabled Hero
Swing with both
2 damage with first strike (untap Phalanx Leader and Fabled Hero)
PL gets +1/+1, FH gets 2 x +1/+1
6 damage with normal strike (untap PL and FH again)
PL gets +1/+1, FH gets 2 x +1/+1

And you end up with a 3/3 Phalanx Leader and a 6/6 Fabled Hero.

Plus, you get Battlwise Hoplite. :D

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

kzin602 posted:

I took those cards and built this up around it. http://deckstats.net/decks/6237/39118-heroic-shenanigans
Probably remove the spear for a bident for more card draw.

Yeah. That was the wall I always ran into with my tests was card drawing. Even with the Bidents, I would probably cut a few islands for plains just because getting WW by turn 3 is kind of important. You can wait to drop Bident when you're about to run out of cards.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

oryx posted:

I missed most of the development of the deck. Was Guttersnipe ever considered? It comes down the turn before the trading post, can be sacrificed, doesn't need mana to activate, and synergizes well with the young pyromancers.

Turn 3 is for Rakdos Keyrune, or YP and Murderking, whichever you didn't drop turn 2.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Tharizdun posted:

While we're posting cards from RtR block that you may not have seen, Rapid Hybridization is a card that exists, fucks people over and gives them tokens. Not as good with Illness, but still solid against giant fuckoff guys (especially monstrous, because of the way the trigger is worded- you can make them pay to activate, then give them a Frog Lizard and they get no monstrous effect)

Why wouldn't he just run Doom Blade or Ultimate Sacrifice? I mean...the reason some versions of UDW run Rapid Hybridization is because you can target your god, get a token and the god doesn't die because it is indestructible.

Edit: Nevermind. I'm an idiot. I didn't even realize Ratchet Bomb was a theme card in the deck.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

TheLawinator posted:

So, I got a chance to get some nice playtesting in with my Deck: Mono-White Enchantment Aggro

Basically went like this:

Match 1: Jund
Game 1: Made voltron of fabled hero, didn't have a lot of followup after the 2nd doom blade took it down.
Game 2: Managed to build up a solid mass of tokens and such with Precinct Captain while jund bricked.
Game 3: Killed a couple deathrite shaman then banisher priested a desecration demon for the win.
2-1

Match 2: UWR Control
Game 1: Played solidly around verdict, elspeth ended the game for me though.
Game 2: Did not draw any of the 8-12 possible answers for elspeth, lost.
0-2

Match 3: RG Dinosaurs
Game 1: Dealt well with xenagos, could not deal with stormbreath dragon.
Game 2: Turn 3 ember swallower, turn 4 monstrous and polukranos, turn 5 swing for 20.
0-2

It was pretty bad. My matchup against RG seems absolutely horrible and I have no idea how even mono-red is fast enough. I never got a chance to actually truly enact my game plan. All I got to do is every once in a while suit up a dude for solid damage. I don't know where to go from here on sideboard strategy or modifications I can make. Blind obedience is great against aggro, but I don't feel like I'd have a problem if I saw it. Or I guess RG dinosaurs is actually aggro?

Mono-white is just bad in this format which kind of depresses me. There just isn't enough card advantage in white to recover from control's one-for-one removal and green's ramp/swarming tactics. I've tried a weenie heroic deck, a devotion Nykthos into early Elspeth deck, and white Boros, and all of them suffer from card disadvantage. Unless you splash blue for Sphinx's Rev (which requires UU to cast), you really have nothing.

As far as you deck goes, I understand the theory behind Ajani's Chosen, but Gift of Orzhova does nothing for you. I would've mainboarded Hopeful Eidolon. It is a good one drop, and if you bestow it, you get a cat with Ajani's Chosen AND when the token dies, you get to keep the Eidolon as a body for chump blocking and for powering Sphere of Safety/Ethereal Armor.

I would have sideboarded only 2 Glare of Heresy at most, and swapped the Soul Tithe for Blind Obedience.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

TheLawinator posted:

Gift of orzhova actually was pretty huge for me tonight since evasion and lifelink on one of my doublestrikers was huge. The numbers on Glare and Soul Tithe actually should be switched, 2 and 4 respectively. Soul Tithe was decent. I understand blind obedience and might find a spot for 2 of it though. The entire night I did not get to take advantage of any text on ajani's chosen. The whole voltron up a fabled hero is basically a crutch.

I dunno what I'm really going to do with this, tempted to go in the opposite direction and try to slam angels of serenity.

Ignore enchantments. Just go straight devotion with Boros Reckoner, Precinct Captain, and all the big 2/1 1-drops. I can tell you. Getting Elspeth out on turn 4 is kind of nuts because assuming you can keep the Nykthos ramp going, you tap 6 tokens the following turn for Devout Invocation. :getin:

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

GEMorris posted:

This is so wrong I don't know where to start. White weenie is a great place to be right after MBC wins a GP, White Weenie absolutely crushes the Mono-Black Devotion Deck.

Instead of making a bad nykthos deck maybe just beat down?

The problem is that it folds hard to Esper, Mono-U, and Gruul (both the devotion and straight GR versions). So while Red Rush and WW might be fast enough to take out Mono-B, they can't handle the creature destruction, board presence, and ramping pretty much the entire rest of the field does.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

GEMorris posted:

My experience shows otherwise, but ok!

Really, it comes down to being able to replenish your hand. One-for-one removal doesn't hurt any of those other decks as much as WW because they have replenishment. Either through Jace AoT, Thassa's Bident, Domri Rade, Underworld Connections, or Sphinx's Rev. Hell, even mono-R has Chandra.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

GEMorris posted:

The only deck I've found to be a terrible matchup is big boros. Its almost like white has answers for the other things you listed.

What does white have to take care of Planeswalkers? Or Supreme Verdict? Or the fact that even with nutter draw, you run out of cards by turn 4? Lifelink, First Strike, and Protection from Color X don't help you kill your opponents faster. None of your guys are immediately useful when you throw them down which gives your opponents an entire turn to develop board presence to counter them or just straight destroy them.

I love playing white. I really do. But this format just doesn't support them as a mono-deck.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

jassi007 posted:

I play that build. I started with RDW and evolved it. My current list.

2 Boros Guildgate
13 Mountain
2 Nykthos, Shrine to Nyx
4 Sacred Foundry
4 Temple of Triumph
4 Ash Zealot
4 Frostburn Weird
4 Magma Jet
2 Mizzium Mortars
4 Boros Reckoner
4 Chandra's Phoenix
2 Hammer of Purphoros
2 Chandra, Pyromaster
3 Fanatic of Mogis
2 Purphoros, God of the Forge
4 Stormbreath Dragon

Sideboard:

3 Chained to the Rocks
2 Pithing Needle
3 Wear // Tear
3 Glare of Heresy
2 Mizzium Mortars
2 Act of Treason

I went 3-2 on gameday. MonoB and BW midrange with loving Alm's Beast and Vizkopa Guildmage beat me. I 1-2'd monoB and 0-2 BW.

I'm not sure if some of it was draw, me as a player, how I sideboarded, or if creatures power 4 or greater are just a real bastard for this deck. I think it is some combo of each. To be truthful I had 2 assemble the legion in the side instead of 2 Pithing Needle, I think that was a mistake. I also missed a few scry triggers, and I'm not sure I pay enough attention to the interaction of Phoenix and casting a spell to recur it.

I think it is overall a strong deck. Anytime I would get a Stormbreath or a Purphoros out, I would win. I may add a 3rd purphoros, not sure what I'd be cutting. I'm also not sold on Frostburn weird. Against agro he is fantastic. Against decks that are going over him or smashing with 6/6 dudes, he's so bad. I feel like he's a better SB card, but I'm not sure what to maindeck in his place. The devotion is so powerful. Maybe Burning-tree? Early game its a body, on turn 3+ you can often just chain poo poo into play and take the opponent by surprise. Also I'd run 4 shrine to nykthos if I had them, just cutting the 2 boros guildgates. I had 2 plains in there, still on the fence about that as well. Having 6 taplands seems bad, but having 2 plains and no maindeck white poo poo seems also bad. I really need the other 2 shrines.

Yeah. That is a whooooole lotta land. 23 should be enough, so just take out the two Guildgates. Or if you're really concerned, turn them into Mountains. Why do you run dual lands, anyway? You have no white cards outside of Wear//Tear and Chained which you could find easy replacements for (i.e. more Mizzium Mortars). The deck will live not being able to exile creatures and destroy enchantments if you can grant it better consistency.

Oh, and if you're looking for a RR creature that is more aggressive than Frostburn Weird, might I suggest Rakdos Shredfreak? 2/1 is kind of small, but he has haste at least! (Or you could just run BTE since she gives you ridiculous Nykthos ramping.)

AlternateNu fucked around with this message at 19:10 on Oct 21, 2013

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!
I want to build a RGU deck that runs Hammer of Purphoros, Zhur-Taa Druid, Elite Arcanist and Triton Tactics which can sideboard out to be a normal RG beats deck.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

jassi007 posted:

It is 2 color for answers to things that red does not deal with well.

Answering with what? You don't have any white cards mainboarded. What decks would you put Chained to the Rocks in that a Mizzium Mortars couldn't deal with? Thassa and Nylea aren't that big a threat if your deck does what it is supposed to do and keeps their devotion count low. And Erebos just lets your opponent kill themselves faster. At least run Boros Charm. I'd love for mono red to have a 2 mana instant "dome your opponent for 4".

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

jassi007 posted:

I've been debating Boros Charm, I just don't know what to cut for it. White nswers to anything that is pro-red, indestructible, is an enchantment, or has more than 4 toughness.

What enchantments do you care about as a mono red deck, though? I guess Underworld Connections now? I know you'd rather just throw another dude out than worry about detention sphere.

The only pro-red creature of note is Master of Waves, and he is taken out by a well timed Skull Crack.

And outside of the gods (which aren't a threat if you can nail their board presence or force them to block enough), the only indestructible thing I can think of in the format is monstrous Fleecemane which should be dead before he has a chance to go monstrous. I'm not seeing the threats you appear to be.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Mikujin posted:

Any deck running Nykthos really should be running a 4-of. It's not a card that's good sometimes, it's good all the time, and there's nothing more silly that seeing someone go "Pay 2, Nykthos for 8, play Nykthos, pay 2, Nykthos for another 8, 14 floating dump my hand."

It is almost a dead card early game when you're still trying to get all of your CC or CCC creatures out to power it. As a counterpoint, any deck that does run 4 x Nykthos should probably have a set of 1C 2-drops just so they can have something to play turn 2.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Zoness posted:

Also, with all the Devotion decks going big, I'm kind of tempted to try the infinite combo U/R devotion list.

There's a standard-legal U/R infinite using devotion?

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Lonely Bridge posted:

Deck: UR Cheapo

//Lands
6 Island
4 Izzet Guildgate
8 Mountain
4 Steam Vents

//Spells
4 Izzet Charm
2 Jace, Memory Adept
4 Lightning Strike
4 Magma Jet
4 Steam Augury
2 Swan Song
2 Syncopate
4 Turn // Burn

//Creatures
4 Nivix Cyclops
4 Spellheart Chimera
4 Young Pyromancer

Display deck statistics

//Sideboard
2 Essence Scatter
3 Frostburn Weird
1 Jace, Architect of Thought
2 Mizzium Mortars
1 Negate
3 Nightveil Specter
3 Ratchet Bomb

I've been playing with this one online for a bit now and I think I've gotten the groove down. The Jace, Memory Adept is the newest addition and I think works better in the mainboard than the "better" Jace since you still get the draw option but can also mill 10 cards for a sweet pump on the Chimera. This deck is a blast to play, sometimes running like aggro and sometimes running more like control. I feel like it's got some good potential since every play is beneficial in more ways than one. Let me know what you guys think of this!

I based this off of this article which was linked to me by a goon in this thread last week: http://puremtgo.com/articles/standard-budget-23-auguries-steam

All of the Izzet decks I've conjured up post-rotation have been red-focused. So, I decided to started to think of primarily blue versions. Instead of Steam Augury being the primary draw (I would still run 2 or 3), I was thinking of 4 x Quicken and 4 x Divination w/ Goblin Electromancer support. The rest would be lightning strikes, magma jets, and counterspells.

(As a side note, I don't like Swan Song being in this deck. The swan is relevant since it is a flier, even with Spellheart having trample.)

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Lonely Bridge posted:

Oh buddy, we aren't giving them the swan :getin:

Seriously though, it can lead to some ridiculous board states when you've got a Pyromancer + Cyclops down and cast something like Lightning Strike > Syncopate (x=0) > Swan Song.

Plus having the backup counter in serious "Oh poo poo" situations is nice.

Haha. Whenever I was testing that type of stuff, I never had three cards to just blow on weird poo poo like that.

I need to make more fun Izzet decks. :v:

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Waffleopolis posted:

I was playing wit ha R/W aggro deck that focuses on heroic triggering for a couple of weeks, but it was lacking in certain areas. I looked around and saw some idea people had with a deck like that and beef up my deck with these ideas.

Deck: Boros Blitz

//Creatures
4 Akroan Crusader
2 Anax and Cymede
2 Fabled Hero
4 Favored Hoplite
4 Nivmagus Elemental
4 Phalanx Leader
4 Young Pyromancer

//Spells
4 Boros Charm
4 Coordinated Assault
4 Gods Willing
3 Martial Glory

//Lands
1 Boros Guildgate
5 Mountain
7 Plains
4 Sacred Foundry
4 Temple of Triumph

//Sideboard
2 Wear/Tear
2 Legion Loyalist
2 Ogre Battledriver
2 Dynacharge
3 Chained to the Rocks
2 Sundering Growth

I need 1 more Sacred Foundry to complete this, but I can use another Boros Guildgate as a cheap substitute. Also, I still need 3 Chained to the Rocks for my sideboard as well as sundering Growth , but I can get them later. I feel that the addition of Nivmagus Elemental can give me a hard offsenvive much faster than my previous deck.

How is it? Any suggestions?

I would actually side board a couple Rootborn Defense as well for the control match-up. Indestructible that trades a stricter requirement (Boros Charm) with a slightly higher cost and an extra token.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Zoness posted:

The token is marginal for R/W heroic while the extra modes on Boros Charm are all pretty relevant.

I'm saying "in addition to", not "instead of" and I only recommended a couple. It certainly isn't a 4x.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Zoness posted:

In that case then I feel like it's not really worth diluting your threat density to run that many effects that don't directly build your board position. What would you side out for rootborn defenses? You're not playing Selesnya Aggro - your tokens are 1/1's and if an Esper player thoughtseizes you seeing something like 3 lands, 2 dorks, 2 protection effects, he can take a dork and suddenly you're looking pretty bad.

You side out Martial Glory because the +3 defense does jack for you against control. And you don't have to Rootborn Defense in response to your opponent's effects. You can end-of-turn it for an extra token or two to attack with for the kill.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

ScarletBrother posted:

Looks like you need some way to deal with Desecration Demon. Syncopate?

Yeah. I would run Syncopate over Dissolve just because exiling is necessary with Whips and Chandra's Phoenix floating around.

As for general removal, you could run Curse of the Swine. I run a single copy in my mono-U deck, and it is surprising the number of gods and dragons I have turned into little pigs.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

ScarletBrother posted:

Turn // Burn might also not be horrible.

He's already running 3 x Turn//Burn, actually.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Baron Porkface posted:

Where should I get started with an Ashiok casual deck?

Depends what direction you want to go (i.e. fun "steal-all-my-opponent's-poo poo.dec", Dimir control, or mill maybe?) but I'm guessing you'll want 4 x Watery Grave and 4 x Temple of Deceit at least.

• Locked thread