Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Skreemer
Jan 28, 2006
I like blue.

azzenco posted:

I'm looking to sell my 2013 CBR250R but don't know anything about selling/pricing bikes. What's a good source to find out all of that? Got just over 1000 miles on it and although I love riding, I'm just not cut out to own one or ride regularly because I'm too lazy for ATGATT and if I don't wear it all then I won't ride. Maybe I should quit being ATGATT. Should this go in the bigger thread?

The ATGATT thing is personal to you. For me it's generally everything but riding pants even for a quick trip to the grocers or whatever. Some guys I know wear helmet and gloves only. I'll give you poo poo about it, but in the end it's personal choice and what you feel comfortable riding in.

That said
Do you still owe money on the bike? Have you looked online to see what they are going for?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006
Gather round, one and all, and thrill to my turgid tales of underwhelming misadventure!
After a friend broke her knee cap just slipping on some pavement, I just don't like the idea of riding without some sort of leg and knee protection. Since I only own a two piece leather suit and power ranger boots, I hardly ride my bike on the street. I can totally understand your reasoning. I stick to doing track days and occasional weekend rides when the weather is cool, and I can go out before traffic becomes a concern.

kuffs
Mar 29, 2007

Projectile Dysfunction
I ride to work every day, ATGATT. I do not believe it is worth riding without gear. I know that I would suffer some serious self-loathing if I got hurt when I could have had better protection.

I also spent a lot of time evaluating gear and picking out pieces that are comfortable and easy to use. Part of my huge road trip this summer involved stopping by Aerostitch to get fitted for a Roadcrafter 3. You can be in and out of the suit in 20 seconds. I've got boots that offer amazing protection that slip on and cinch down, while also passing for street wear if I have to.

M. Night Skymall
Mar 22, 2012

After the showers tonight it looks like the weather for Sunday should be really nice if anyone wants to get out for a ride. Haven't been doing much besides commuting since our trip and I feel like I should get out there and enjoy the beautiful weather.

No real plan but could just do a route somewhere around Mckinney if people are up for it, or FM4.

kuffs
Mar 29, 2007

Projectile Dysfunction
I'm down. Sounds like my coworker is down too.

Alceste
Dec 5, 2003

Ramrod XTreme
I've been feeling like that too. Rode to Plano to run some errands earlier this week just for an excuse to do it, though it was mostly in a straight line unfortunately.

If anyone's out in the afternoon on Sunday, I might be able to join, but in the morning I'll probably be riding the trails with the kids on a pedal bike instead. I have to watch them while my wife gets her hair and nails done before our vacation next week. If everything goes right, next Friday we should be riding around Maui on a rented Heritage Softail.

M. Night Skymall
Mar 22, 2012

Alceste posted:

I've been feeling like that too. Rode to Plano to run some errands earlier this week just for an excuse to do it, though it was mostly in a straight line unfortunately.

If anyone's out in the afternoon on Sunday, I might be able to join, but in the morning I'll probably be riding the trails with the kids on a pedal bike instead. I have to watch them while my wife gets her hair and nails done before our vacation next week. If everything goes right, next Friday we should be riding around Maui on a rented Heritage Softail.

I could go in the afternoon, the weather should be cool enough all day that it doesn't matter if we get started early. I'm also on a really non-adult schedule right now so it's easier for me to show up somewhere in the afternoon than the morning. :v:

By the way, I'd like to try swapping bikes with you for a bit if you're up for it. I've almost talked myself out of the FZ-09 finally because buying a naked to do thousands of miles of touring on is probably dumb, but I want to try a naked at highway speeds just to see how the wind feels.

Alceste
Dec 5, 2003

Ramrod XTreme
All right, I'll try to make sure I remain free that afternoon. As of now there aren't any other plans.

I'd be fine with swapping for a bit to see what the faired version with clip ons feels like. And fuel injection. I can tell you that highway speeds are a bit of a beating, mostly about the head and neck, but your height may work better with the little flyscreen that's on my bike.

M. Night Skymall
Mar 22, 2012

Alceste posted:

All right, I'll try to make sure I remain free that afternoon. As of now there aren't any other plans.

I'd be fine with swapping for a bit to see what the faired version with clip ons feels like. And fuel injection. I can tell you that highway speeds are a bit of a beating, mostly about the head and neck, but your height may work better with the little flyscreen that's on my bike.

What time do you want to do this? People want to meet up for (possibly late?) lunch in Mckinney somewhere then do a loop around FM-697?

M. Night Skymall
Mar 22, 2012

Well I probably won't be buying an FZ-09 since I bought a VFR800.

2008 with 600 miles and an absolutely hilarious skull paintjob thing on the windshield. Look at this poo poo. Who does this to a VFR800?

Alceste
Dec 5, 2003

Ramrod XTreme
Ha ha, wow. That's a sharp bike other than the, uh, skulls. Are you going to want to take it out tomorrow? I'm sure the picture doesn't do it justice.

Going fared was almost certainly the best choice if you're going to be going on more long road trips. 70+ on my bike for long stretches tends to fatigue me a lot from all the work I have to do to keep my head straight.

I should be able to meet somewhere in the McKinney area around 1 if that works for anyone else. Otherwise I can try to catch up with you somewhere further down the road.

M. Night Skymall
Mar 22, 2012

Alceste posted:

Ha ha, wow. That's a sharp bike other than the, uh, skulls. Are you going to want to take it out tomorrow? I'm sure the picture doesn't do it justice.

Going fared was almost certainly the best choice if you're going to be going on more long road trips. 70+ on my bike for long stretches tends to fatigue me a lot from all the work I have to do to keep my head straight.

I should be able to meet somewhere in the McKinney area around 1 if that works for anyone else. Otherwise I can try to catch up with you somewhere further down the road.

We were going to meet up for lunch at The Pub I think. Meeting there at 1 is fine or we could get there early and plan to leave at 1, either way's fine for me.

kuffs
Mar 29, 2007

Projectile Dysfunction
My coworker is out, but I'm still down. Alceste, you want lunch or not?

Alceste
Dec 5, 2003

Ramrod XTreme

kuffs posted:

My coworker is out, but I'm still down. Alceste, you want lunch or not?

I'll get lunch with the kids here before I head out to meet you guys. Still the Pub at 1?

azzenco
Jan 16, 2004

Slippery Tilde
Anyone want to buy a 2013 CBR250R with ABS? 1100 miles. Black and red, lowered two inches so if you're short like me, it'll fit you. I have the original hardware as well.

I am getting out of the bike game :(

Skreemer
Jan 28, 2006
I like blue.

azzenco posted:

Anyone want to buy a 2013 CBR250R with ABS? 1100 miles. Black and red, lowered two inches so if you're short like me, it'll fit you. I have the original hardware as well.

I am getting out of the bike game :(

Sorry to hear you go, good luck with selling the bike.

Alceste
Dec 5, 2003

Ramrod XTreme
I don't know if anyone cares about this--I mentioned it to MNS and kuffs over lunch at our last ride--but I rented a 2014 Heritage Softail for a day when my wife and I were in Maui recently for our 10th anniversary. My first bike was a girl-sized metric cruiser but I'd never had any experience with Harleys or any big bike in general. It was a first for my wife, too, who had never spent more than about 5 minutes on the back of a bike with me. We rode around for about 8 hours that day. It figures that my longest ride, in terms of saddle time--we were going pretty slow most of the time, so not many miles--was not on my own bike.

Generally I had a great time and enjoyed riding the Softail. The two things I hated were the footboards, which would scrape on what felt like even the slightest lean, which I had to do a lot, because we were riding coastal roads up and down the mountains full of switchbacks and tight sweepers; and how heavy and barely-stable the thing felt at low speeds. Every time I had to back into or out of a parking space, I felt like I was going to dump it. Having a passenger made it worse of course, but even without I think it would have been a chore.

It wasn't very loud with stock pipes but it was very, very hot in traffic. Lots of heat pouring off that 103 ci motor. It was not fast (my wife disagreed with me here) but speed limits were 35-45 the whole time anyway, so that didn't matter too much. It had lots of torque though, and didn't mind having two people on it at all. The front brake was very powerful for being only a single rotor. The riding position was comfortable, although the seat was too squishy for me. The main thing I liked was how chunky and solid everything felt, especially the transmission. Shifting every gear produced a satisfying thunk! and eventually I even got used to upshifting with my heel.

It was the perfect way to tour the island, and the only way I'd have wanted to negotiate those narrow cliff roads and one-lane bridges. The big bike was the only way to go with two people, but having said that, I feel like I would have had a lot more fun on my bike or at least on something sporty.

Anyway, here are a few of the pictures I took on the ride, if anyone is interested: http://imgur.com/a/JTdNQ

Alceste fucked around with this message at 20:21 on Oct 21, 2014

Skreemer
Jan 28, 2006
I like blue.
Thanks for the info. Floorboards are terrible. I've seen more than one person wipe out because they ran out of lean angle and wen toff the road.

If you ever get the change try out one of the BMW sport touring bikes, a Yamaha FJR, or Kawasaki Concourse.

Alceste
Dec 5, 2003

Ramrod XTreme
Goddamn floorboards made me go over the double yellow one time, coming out of Iao Valley when one of those switchbacks surprised me. I really had to think ahead of time about my lines through those tight turns. Fortunately I didn't run into one of those sheer walls instead, and no one was coming the other way. Still embarrassing.

I really wish someone had had an FJR/Concours/BMW whatever for rent instead. There was another place that would rent you a KLR (or similar) to ride to the top of Mt. Haleakala but I would have had to do that by myself, and it was a full day excursion for nearly twice what I paid to rent the Harley.

I'd love to get into motorcycle touring in general and bikes like the ones you mentioned would be a better fit for me, but it's going to be a long, long time before anything like that is a realistic possibility.

Are any of you guys thinking of doing the Talimena ride again in the next month or so? I wouldn't mind taking another shot at that, if the weather's dry.

hot sauce
Jan 13, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Alceste posted:

Are any of you guys thinking of doing the Talimena ride again in the next month or so? I wouldn't mind taking another shot at that, if the weather's dry.

What is the Talimena ride?

Alceste
Dec 5, 2003

Ramrod XTreme
We almost went early this summer/late spring, but it was raining and I chickened out because it didn't sound like fun in that weather. MNS ended up doing it himself later on--can't remember if kuffs went along too, but I still haven't made it myself.

Here's his original post on the subject. Also http://www.talimenascenicdrive.com/.

Basically it's a pretty highway stretch in east OK/west AR that is a manageable day trip from DFW, from what I understand.

e: image link for the map/route is broken now but maybe MNS can repost it

Alceste fucked around with this message at 18:05 on Oct 22, 2014

hot sauce
Jan 13, 2005

Grimey Drawer
Oh ok, I didn't know if it was some official event and was curious. That road looks awesome.

M. Night Skymall
Mar 22, 2012

Alceste posted:

e: image link for the map/route is broken now but maybe MNS can repost it

It's a beautiful ride. I wouldn't mind doing that again before it starts to actually get cold. I also still want to try to do a trip up to the Ozarks over a weekend or something. I just need to get out more, been just commuting lately and I need to break my new bike in better. I still haven't changed the tires on it yet. I have the adapters for my stand though so I'll probably get around to it fairly soon.

Alceste
Dec 5, 2003

Ramrod XTreme

M. Night Skymall posted:

I still haven't changed the tires on it yet.

:eyepop:

the hivemind is gonna be mad at you!!

Did you change the tires on your SV yourself? Can't remember. If you lack anything for the job, I probably have it, though it might be the ghetto equivalent (e.g. bigass C-clamp + scrap wood bead breaker).

The best trick I learned during the miserable experience of changing 3 tires was to tie up the new one with industrial grade twist ties to scrunch it up so the beads were only a few inches apart. Then it drops right onto the rim and then you can pull the ties off. Paracord or thin, strong twine would probably work too.

I don't think I can make a full weekend ride to the Ozarks but Talimena should be doable for me, in general. I'm pretty open between now and Thanksgiving. Do we have enough daylight left not to have to ride the whole way home in the dark? Deer are my main concern there.

M. Night Skymall
Mar 22, 2012

Alceste posted:

:eyepop:

the hivemind is gonna be mad at you!!

Did you change the tires on your SV yourself? Can't remember. If you lack anything for the job, I probably have it, though it might be the ghetto equivalent (e.g. bigass C-clamp + scrap wood bead breaker).

The best trick I learned during the miserable experience of changing 3 tires was to tie up the new one with industrial grade twist ties to scrunch it up so the beads were only a few inches apart. Then it drops right onto the rim and then you can pull the ties off. Paracord or thin, strong twine would probably work too.

I don't think I can make a full weekend ride to the Ozarks but Talimena should be doable for me, in general. I'm pretty open between now and Thanksgiving. Do we have enough daylight left not to have to ride the whole way home in the dark? Deer are my main concern there.

Well, I haven't actually been riding it either, I have 2 bikes after all :v:. I was just waiting for the adapters to come in so I could get both wheels off the ground to take them in, the only place that sells Abba stand bullshit is in Canada so it takes a bit. That said although my tires do not feel nearly as good as the PR4s on the SV650 they don't feel that bad, plenty of people ride on old tires and don't die, I'm just not going to do anything that involves much turning before I change them.

It took us something like 13 hours to ride there and back last time we did it including stops so we'll probably be in the dark a bit. Should definitely aim to be heading out of Mckinney at or before sunrise I think (which is about 7:30 now.) I'm not too worried about deer because most of the ride back is on 75, should be clear of deer territory before it gets close to twilight.

Alceste
Dec 5, 2003

Ramrod XTreme
They did hold up fine on the last group ride, though I got the impression you were riding conservatively due to that and/or the bike being new. That fancy-pants imported European stand looks like a nice setup and there have been more than a few times I wished it was easier to get both ends of my bike up at once. I like my cheap rear stand but my cheap fork stand doesn't work very well, and eventually I will be forced to get a triple tree stand instead.

After further consideration I realized I am on lockdown this coming weekend, since I went on a hunting trip last weekend immediately following our vacation :tipshat: but other than that, speaking purely for myself, I'd say the sooner the better on Talimena...unless it would make any difference to wait until after the DST time change on Sunday the 2nd.

TEASE MY NECKBEARD
Jan 13, 2009
I did the Talimena scenic ride a few weeks ago and will be heading up there again this weekend. I think it will be the last opportunity for me to head north before winter sets in.

If anyone wants to go, you all are welcome to ride with me. I will head up there on Saturday morning. I live downtown and take 30 as far as possible but use google maps to avoid highways. I went through Paris and Commerce last time. I generally ride somewhat slow on the way up, so as to preserve myself.

Last time I did one leg of the Talimena scenic drive twice and hotwired a room in Hot Springs. The ride to hotsprings is quite scenic and twisty enough to keep you interested, but is not nearly as fun as the section between Talihina and Mena (or however you spell the names).

Overall, I think i did about 950 miles last time. It wasn't murder, but I was pretty drat tired when I got home.

tl;dr - I'm heading out Saturday morning, coming back Sunday afternoon (will aim at being home downtown 1 hour before nightfall). Will use Hotwire to get a cheap room in either Hot Springs or Fort Smith. I really don't plan things all that much. I enjoy the spontaneity. I'll check in here again tomorrow after work if you guys have any questions.

Skreemer
Jan 28, 2006
I like blue.
Too bad you're doing it over both days, I don't get out of the office on Saturday until 10am.

Skreemer
Jan 28, 2006
I like blue.
I'm going for breakfast after work this morning, anyone want to kill their diet and harden their arteries?
This place looks like it might have a tasty offering or two: http://www.hypnoticdonuts.com/
If that place doesn't pan out maybe here: http://www.buzzbrews.com/

(just looking for breakfast food)

PadreScout
Mar 14, 2008
I've been in England the last 2 weeks, but when I get back to Dallas I desperately want one good last ride before he winter sets in. Hopefully the second weekend of November will be pleasant.

Skreemer
Jan 28, 2006
I like blue.
You need to regale us with tales of invading the olde country. Did you get to rent a bike?

Alceste
Dec 5, 2003

Ramrod XTreme
Anybody going out this weekend? This is about when I need to start reserving my time.

M. Night Skymall
Mar 22, 2012

Alceste posted:

Anybody going out this weekend? This is about when I need to start reserving my time.

I kind of failed to get tires, the place I got them from before couldn't get them until next week, so I decided to go through Amazon. Amazon prime decided tires weren't one of those things that actually get 2-day delivery so they won't be here until Monday. Also my license plate holder on my SV650 got ripped off (along with the plate) and I'm being lazy about fixing it. I kind of want to get a whole new under tail thing going so I can have better rear indicators/a legal light for my license plate, but I'm stalled out on what to actually get.

It's also going to be freezing in Oklahoma this weekend, but I doubt it's going to be any warmer next weekend. I may just get a new plate and ziptie it back onto the remains of my license plate holder and go for a ride around Dallas somewhere though. Maybe superglue my indicators back in.

Skreemer
Jan 28, 2006
I like blue.
I'm up for a city/local area ride.

Alceste
Dec 5, 2003

Ramrod XTreme
I wasn't thinking about that cold front when I posted that, so something local would be best, I suppose. I just need to get out and run some gas through the carbs, one way or another. I keep trying to find excuses to ride but I keep not being able to because I need to bring things home that don't fit in my pockets, or I need to not have to wear a hat when I get there. This is pretty much the only respect in which not having to commute isn't awesome. I managed to ride out to Frisco to meet a friend for lunch today, at least.

If you don't mind my asking, how did your license plate and signals etc. get ripped off? I almost lost mine once when I bottomed out the rear suspension on a bad patch of road and the bottom of the license plate--the PO put this extra piece underneath it for the inspection sticker--contacted the tire, I think; but I had already built a DIY fender eliminator (which is easy on curvies) and I believe my placement of the license plate bracket was mostly at fault.

I don't know what you guys have heard but I've been informed that in Texas you're not legally required to have turn signals on a motorcycle, cuz God gave ya a left arm what with to make signals with. Of course that seems like the wrong end of the risk:benefit ratio to me but so does riding without a helmet, and the same people tend to do both.

nitrogen
May 21, 2004

Oh, what's a 217°C difference between friends?
Good friend of mine and his girl just got hit. guy can barely remember his name in the girl doesn't have use of her left arm right now.

Joe and Echo, hope you all are alright tonight.

Remember, you think y'all are invisible you're wrong you're double plus invisible.

These were some of the folks that were getting me started in riding, too.

Skreemer
Jan 28, 2006
I like blue.

nitrogen posted:

Good friend of mine and his girl just got hit. guy can barely remember his name in the girl doesn't have use of her left arm right now.

Joe and Echo, hope you all are alright tonight.

Remember, you think y'all are invisible you're wrong you're double plus invisible.

These were some of the folks that were getting me started in riding, too.

If they are in need of anything, let me know. Worst case I can even pick up the bike so it's not eating cash in wrecker lot (yes I know the other guy's insurance will pay for it, if they have insurance.)...

nitrogen
May 21, 2004

Oh, what's a 217°C difference between friends?
Was hit and run, unfortunately. They are out of the hospital this morning, banged up but otherwise ok at least. Smidsy is the worst.

M. Night Skymall
Mar 22, 2012

nitrogen posted:

Was hit and run, unfortunately. They are out of the hospital this morning, banged up but otherwise ok at least. Smidsy is the worst.

Sorry to hear that. Hope your friends recover OK. :(

My tires got here today despite the tracker saying Monday, so I'm definitely up for a ride on Sunday if I can get my tires installed tomorrow.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skreemer
Jan 28, 2006
I like blue.
Are you going to do them yourself or take them in? I've changed tires "by hand" before and can assist if needed (and I'm right down the street at the office).

• Locked thread