Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Alceste
Dec 5, 2003

Ramrod XTreme
I don't have the background experience with other bikes to be able to compare it to much, but my impressions were pretty much the same. I quite liked it. Barely using the brakes was harder to get used to than not clutching and shifting.

Santa was gone by the time I got there. :ohdearsass: I don't know about you but I felt really out of place in that big crowd of HD people who were all wearing the same club gear.

Got a nifty keychain though, I guess. Also found the HUD demo interesting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PadreScout
Mar 14, 2008
I forgot to go.

Maybe they'll do another one some other time.

Huh, interesting new forum babby-gif Lowtax has picked out.

PadreScout fucked around with this message at 21:04 on Dec 9, 2014

nitrogen
May 21, 2004

Oh, what's a 217°C difference between friends?
dump question for dallas folks.

Coworker is telling me up and down that lanesplitting/filtering in Texas isn't actually illegal.

So what law are you breaking exactly if you do it? So I can shut him the gently caress up and get back to work?

M. Night Skymall
Mar 22, 2012

nitrogen posted:

dump question for dallas folks.

Coworker is telling me up and down that lanesplitting/filtering in Texas isn't actually illegal.

So what law are you breaking exactly if you do it? So I can shut him the gently caress up and get back to work?

Texas Transportation Code posted:

Sec. 545.060. DRIVING ON ROADWAY LANED FOR TRAFFIC. (a) An operator on a roadway divided into two or more clearly marked lanes for traffic:
(1) shall drive as nearly as practical entirely within a single lane; and
(2) may not move from the lane unless that movement can be made safely.
Here's the whole thing if you want to look for more.

nitrogen
May 21, 2004

Thanks. I figured out he was convinced a law allowing for it passed in the last legislative session, but it never passed teh senate.

Skreemer
Jan 28, 2006
I like blue.
Is anyone going to the motorcycle show between Jan 23- 25?

http://www.motorcycleshows.com/

Skreemer
Jan 28, 2006
I like blue.
The bike show is this weekend, I may not be able to depending on how I feel tomorrow. (I've been battling a gout attack for the last 5 days).
Figured I'd check again and see if anyone is attending.

kuffs
Mar 29, 2007

Projectile Dysfunction
I'm planning to go, but I don't know when, exactly. Hopefully be there with my brother tonight.

nitrogen
May 21, 2004

kuffs posted:

I'm planning to go, but I don't know when, exactly. Hopefully be there with my brother tonight.

when/where? Is it the progressive show? Might be up for it tomorrow afternoon/evening, now that my goose is running again.

Skreemer
Jan 28, 2006
I like blue.

nitrogen posted:

when/where? Is it the progressive show? Might be up for it tomorrow afternoon/evening, now that my goose is running again.

Kay Bailey Hutchison Convention Center Dallas
650 S. Griffin Street
Dallas, TX 75202

DATE
Fri. January 23, 2015 1:00pm - 6:00pm
Sat. January 24, 2015 10:00am - 8:00pm
Sun. January 25, 2015 10:00am - 5:00pm

kuffs
Mar 29, 2007

Projectile Dysfunction
I actually ended up going tonight. Sat on a few BMWs that I've been eyeing in the new lineup. Checked out the H2. Made fun of some silly customs. Good times all around.

PadreScout
Mar 14, 2008
Welp, I managed to crash my bike. Entering the parking structure of my apartment complex. I believe this makes me a "huge dumb-rear end." When daylight hits I'm going to go take a look and see exactly what the hell I slipped on, but the short version is I was turning in (10 MPH? 15 TOPS) and the next moment I'm having my big toe broken through my riding boot which freaking KILLS. Broken toes are no fun. Kinda jammed my wrist as well.

The bike is mostly ok, one of the headlights bezels is dented and the light points off all "lazy-eye" style and the steering is tweaked decently. I need to get a trailer from somewhere and haul it over to the dealership, get the steering fixed and replace a headlight and a blinker. Doesn't seem to be any damage to the engine/fuel tank/exhaust so I'm pretty happy about it, all things considered - if you have to fall down I picked a hell of a good way to do it.

Skreemer
Jan 28, 2006
I like blue.

PadreScout posted:

Welp, I managed to crash my bike. Entering the parking structure of my apartment complex. I believe this makes me a "huge dumb-rear end." When daylight hits I'm going to go take a look and see exactly what the hell I slipped on, but the short version is I was turning in (10 MPH? 15 TOPS) and the next moment I'm having my big toe broken through my riding boot which freaking KILLS. Broken toes are no fun. Kinda jammed my wrist as well.

The bike is mostly ok, one of the headlights bezels is dented and the light points off all "lazy-eye" style and the steering is tweaked decently. I need to get a trailer from somewhere and haul it over to the dealership, get the steering fixed and replace a headlight and a blinker. Doesn't seem to be any damage to the engine/fuel tank/exhaust so I'm pretty happy about it, all things considered - if you have to fall down I picked a hell of a good way to do it.

I own a trailer and a truck and have two good feet... When you need it?

News from my end, the little 1981 GS350 I had, I gave it to my cousin in New Mexico for her to ride. Some jackass tried stealing it last night. They hosed the key/ignition switch and tried to roll it away only to realize it had a disk lock on it too. Luckily they put it back on the side stand and didn't just drop it but the bastards buggered the ignition switch bad enough I'll have to replace it.

Skreemer fucked around with this message at 15:08 on Jan 29, 2015

PadreScout
Mar 14, 2008
This weekend or early next week? I already called ahead and they're ready for it whenever. They'll give it a "post crash inspection" .

I gave it a post crash inspection of my own: steering is tweaked, there is a TINY ding on the top of the gas tank directly on the Triumph sticker, so if I replace the sticker that'll be invisible, the bar end mirror and front brake lever are ground a little. ... and the blinker is broke. That's it. Pegs are fine, nothing else is touched.

Best.Bike.EVER.

I also figured out what I slid on. There's a flowerbed ... divider between the entrance and exit gates and looks like they are prepping it for spring, there's some sort of red clay-like cover material in it and fine loving red dust all over the entrance area. Which I imagine is pretty slippery seeing as how its all concrete and like cobblestone/brick things instead of asphalt . So that was fun.

My toe is definitely broke. Hurts like hell and its super swollen and like BLACK. So I'm taking loads of Advil and it'll sort itself out soon enough. All in all a great crash.

Skreemer
Jan 28, 2006
I like blue.
Well I'm off work from 10am Saturday until 12am Tuesday. Most bike shops are closed on Sunday and Monday. So give me a call 10AM Saturday, I'll have the trailer hooked to the truck and we can haul it over.

Skreemer
Jan 28, 2006
I like blue.
PadreScout, you sever get your bike back? What was the damage total to both the bike and wallet?

Anyone else going to the AMA SuperCross tonight?

PadreScout
Mar 14, 2008
My folks are in town this weekend, they say they'll drop me off to pick it up.

Total damage that's important was a headlight and a blinker. Cost to replace, plus straightening out the bike, and tossing on my SWMOTECH sliders is 400 bucks.

It also needs a new front brake lever and side mirror - I'm doing those on my own for 250 bucks with triumph parts here in a paycheck or two.

Last visible problem is the radiator cowl - I'm switching it to a small style cowl here ... eventually for 100 bucks.

Everything else is damage so insignificant you wouldn't know it unless it is pointed out. Heck, even the radiator cowl is just a very minor scrape.

The thing is in great shape.

I'd like to go see some races, but, like I said - family is in town. Maybe next time!

PadreScout
Mar 14, 2008
Double post!!!!

I managed to swap my Taichi for a smaller size. So now my bike is running and I have some drat stylish armor to wear for when I go cruising around.

Who all's going to Austin for the GP?

kuffs
Mar 29, 2007

Projectile Dysfunction
I will, but rolling down with my family on 4 wheels :/

Skreemer
Jan 28, 2006
I like blue.
I want to hit up the GP again this year but I have a serious cash problem (I'm saving up for a house and stashing all extra cash int he bank currently).

I'll look for you guys on the feeds from the motogp.com website.

PadreScout
Mar 14, 2008

Skreemer posted:

I want to hit up the GP again this year but I have a serious cash problem (I'm saving up for a house and stashing all extra cash int he bank currently).

I'll look for you guys on the feeds from the motogp.com website.

Turn 15, top of the grand stands!

Freaking weather needs to clear out. I finally got my machine running again just in time for all the snow and ice in the world. All I want to do is hoon it up a little!

Skreemer
Jan 28, 2006
I like blue.
Who is going to take bets on when the weather will be good enough to get back out on the roads again?

kuffs
Mar 29, 2007

Projectile Dysfunction
Long term forecast says we should be in the high 60's, low 70's all next week. Wind on the weekend seems like it's gonna be a little sucky.

Skreemer
Jan 28, 2006
I like blue.
This isn't law yet, but share and let's see if we can get it going. Texas HB 813 (Lane Splitting being allowed if traffic is near 20MPH and rider cannot go faster than 5MPH above traffic flow)

A BILL TO BE ENTITLED

AN ACT
relating to the operation and movement of motorcycles during
periods of traffic congestion.
BE IT ENACTED BY THE LEGISLATURE OF THE STATE OF TEXAS:
SECTION 1. Section 545.060, Transportation Code, is amended
by amending Subsection (a) and adding Subsection (e) to read as
follows:
(a) An operator on a roadway divided into two or more
clearly marked lanes for traffic:
(1) shall drive as nearly as practical entirely within
a single lane, except as provided by Subsection (e); and
(2) may not move from the lane unless that movement can
be made safely.
(e) The operator of a motorcycle may operate the motorcycle
for a safe distance between lanes of traffic moving in the same
direction during periods of traffic congestion if:
(1) notwithstanding Section 661.003(c), the operator
and any passenger wear protective headgear that meets the safety
standards adopted by the department; and
(2) the operator operates the motorcycle:
(A) at a speed not more than five miles per hour
greater than the speed of the other traffic;
(B) in traffic that is moving at a speed of 20
miles per hour or less; and
(C) in a location other than a school crossing
zone or a location where the posted speed limit is 20 miles per hour
or less.
SECTION 2. This Act takes effect September 1, 2015.

nitrogen
May 21, 2004

Any of you guys have the little wrench gizmo to adjust suspension height? I need to lower my new bike a bit, and I could have sworn I had the tool but I can't find it.

I'm up near Sachse/Wylie/Garland/Murphy and would appreciate 30 mins with this tool so I can get the bike sized a bit better.

EDITED TO ADD:

Skreemer posted:

This isn't law yet, but share and let's see if we can get it going. Texas HB 813 (Lane Splitting being allowed if traffic is near 20MPH and rider cannot go faster than 5MPH above traffic flow)

The AMA is not supporting this bill because of the helmet language, so its not looking good unless the helmet requirement is removed.

nitrogen fucked around with this message at 20:52 on Mar 8, 2015

kuffs
Mar 29, 2007

Projectile Dysfunction
Weather next weekend looks like it's gonna be boss. Any of you folks wanna get out and ride?

Minkee
Dec 20, 2004

Fat Chicks Love Me

Skreemer posted:

A BILL TO BE ENTITLED

AN ACT
relating to the operation and movement of motorcycles during
periods of traffic congestion.
BE IT ENACTED BY THE LEGISLATURE OF THE STATE OF TEXAS:
SECTION 1. Section 545.060, Transportation Code, is amended
by amending Subsection (a) and adding Subsection (e) to read as
follows:
(a) An operator on a roadway divided into two or more
clearly marked lanes for traffic:
(1) shall drive as nearly as practical entirely within
a single lane, except as provided by Subsection (e); and
(2) may not move from the lane unless that movement can
be made safely.
(e) The operator of a motorcycle may operate the motorcycle
for a safe distance between lanes of traffic moving in the same
direction during periods of traffic congestion if:
(1) notwithstanding Section 661.003(c), the operator
and any passenger wear protective headgear that meets the safety
standards adopted by the department; and
(2) the operator operates the motorcycle:
(A) at a speed not more than five miles per hour
greater than the speed of the other traffic;
(B) in traffic that is moving at a speed of 20
miles per hour or less; and
(C) in a location other than a school crossing
zone or a location where the posted speed limit is 20 miles per hour
or less.
SECTION 2. This Act takes effect September 1, 2015.

I will still be surprised if this passes. I have a few friends that have been sending letters to their congressmen and promoting the bill through various motorcycle organizations. They were trying to throw a mandatory helmet regulation when this was being drafted, but they dropped it to give it a better chance of passing . Anyone know when they're supposed to vote on it?

Skreemer
Jan 28, 2006
I like blue.

nitrogen posted:

Any of you guys have the little wrench gizmo to adjust suspension height? I need to lower my new bike a bit, and I could have sworn I had the tool but I can't find it.

I'm up near Sachse/Wylie/Garland/Murphy and would appreciate 30 mins with this tool so I can get the bike sized a bit better.

EDITED TO ADD:

The AMA is not supporting this bill because of the helmet language, so its not looking good unless the helmet requirement is removed.

There's another one in the senate without the helmet language.

I had a suspension adjuster around and can lend it out, I'm wAy out in Southlake though.

nitrogen
May 21, 2004

Skreemer posted:

There's another one in the senate without the helmet language.

I had a suspension adjuster around and can lend it out, I'm wAy out in Southlake though.

if I can'[t find mine in the next few days i'll take you up on that. The weather is going to be awesome so it'll be a nice excuse to ride out there.

Skreemer
Jan 28, 2006
I like blue.

kuffs posted:

Weather next weekend looks like it's gonna be boss. Any of you folks wanna get out and ride?

I'm up for a ride, Give a day/time/meet up spot and I'm there.

Nitrogen:
Let me know when/where. I work near Farmer's Branch and could meet up after work during the week if you don't want to come all the way out.

kuffs
Mar 29, 2007

Projectile Dysfunction
Got any feelings on route? I've done our traditional 697 route a few times this winter. I think I'd like to try something else for this run. A large portion of 455 has been repaved, making it super nice now. There's also a bunch of stuff I've recently discovered northwest of Denton. I haven't been out west to FM4 / Granbury in a while.

PadreScout
Mar 14, 2008
Did somebody say goon ride?!

I have to go to India in a few weeks so I'm all about getting some riding in!

Alceste
Dec 5, 2003

Ramrod XTreme
We have plans for Saturday already but I should be able to get out if you do the usual Sunday thing.

I've been bad and haven't used a trickle charger this season--usually I get to ride enough in winter not to have to worry about it--so I've been a little concerned about my battery, but it started fine just now. Plus I'll have a good reason to finally do that oil change and chain cleaning that I've been putting off.

nitrogen
May 21, 2004

Skreemer posted:

I'm up for a ride, Give a day/time/meet up spot and I'm there.

Nitrogen:
Let me know when/where. I work near Farmer's Branch and could meet up after work during the week if you don't want to come all the way out.

I work near grapevine, but will be wfh on Thurs and Fri, so I will take you up on it one of those two days.

kuffs
Mar 29, 2007

Projectile Dysfunction
Realtalk tho, where you folks wanna go? I can draft up a route with just a bit more info.

Seems like Sunday's gonna be the date for Alceste's sake.

N2, you're welcome to join us as well. We're a pretty chill group, no posturing squids here.

Skreemer
Jan 28, 2006
I like blue.

nitrogen posted:

I work near grapevine, but will be wfh on Thurs and Fri, so I will take you up on it one of those two days.

aw hell when do you have lunch? I'm out of the office by 10am and am in Southlake by about 11:30am. I can drop it off.

Skreemer
Jan 28, 2006
I like blue.

kuffs posted:

Realtalk tho, where you folks wanna go? I can draft up a route with just a bit more info.

Seems like Sunday's gonna be the date for Alceste's sake.

N2, you're welcome to join us as well. We're a pretty chill group, no posturing squids here.

I vote for the FM4/Granbury route.

nitrogen
May 21, 2004

Skreemer posted:

aw hell when do you have lunch? I'm out of the office by 10am and am in Southlake by about 11:30am. I can drop it off.

I can do lunch anytime, but usually do it around 11am.

If you are driving by the north end of DFW airport, you'll pretty much pass me today while i'm at the office. If you have the gizmo with you today, want to meet over at Founders Plaza today? Otherwise I can meet you pretty much anytime, my schedule on WFH days is flexible for tomorrow or Friday

https://www.dfwairport.com/founders/

Skreemer
Jan 28, 2006
I like blue.

nitrogen posted:

I can do lunch anytime, but usually do it around 11am.

If you are driving by the north end of DFW airport, you'll pretty much pass me today while i'm at the office. If you have the gizmo with you today, want to meet over at Founders Plaza today? Otherwise I can meet you pretty much anytime, my schedule on WFH days is flexible for tomorrow or Friday

https://www.dfwairport.com/founders/

Founders plaza at noon thirty? That gives me time to grab it and scoot over.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skreemer
Jan 28, 2006
I like blue.
I am at the plaza look for the blue bandit.

• Locked thread