Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
kuffs
Mar 29, 2007

Projectile Dysfunction
I'm considering a "Jesus, Look How High the Lakes Are" tour.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skreemer
Jan 28, 2006
I like blue.
Let us know, we've ridden in the rain before.

kuffs
Mar 29, 2007

Projectile Dysfunction
Alright, trip planned

https://trips.furkot.com/ts/XcW4Ii

We meet at Ham & Eggs at 11:00 for brunch. Kickstands up before 12:30.

About 150 miles total. Should close the ride at 6:00 at White Rock Lake. We can look for food around that area at that point.

We'll see how available the roads are when we come to them. Not sure that the little branch along the dam at Lewisville Lake is going to be open, or passable by most of our bikes. And there's a run up 121 that I'd prefer not to have, but we're all big boys and not riding anything that can't keep up. I am pleased that this route has a few of our favorites of last year over near Rockwall.

Please let us know if you plan to come so we can wait for you at brunch.

M. Night Skymall
Mar 22, 2012

I'll be there, might have to cut out a little early.

nitrogen
May 21, 2004

Oh, what's a 217°C difference between friends?
I plan on being there.

EDIT:

I planned on being there. Just found out my battery in the honda is completely dead. Because I am a dumbass.

I will see if I can get a replcaement tomorrow morning from autozone, or maybe i'll just bring the Goose if it passes my inspection tomorrow. but don't wait for me too long if i don't show up.

nitrogen fucked around with this message at 05:39 on May 31, 2015

kuffs
Mar 29, 2007

Projectile Dysfunction
If you can hear the fuel pump running, you should be able to push start it. Get a good run and drop the clutch in 2nd gear. Even if you can't hear the fuel pump it's worth a try.

Skreemer
Jan 28, 2006
I like blue.
I'm in and will see whomever shows up.

Skreemer
Jan 28, 2006
I like blue.
I have procured a table for us. You guys better be hungry.

nitrogen
May 21, 2004

kuffs posted:

If you can hear the fuel pump running, you should be able to push start it. Get a good run and drop the clutch in 2nd gear. Even if you can't hear the fuel pump it's worth a try.

I got a new battery and hooked it up backwards. I'm probably going to be out of commission for a while now. You know, because I'm an idiot.

Alceste
Dec 5, 2003

Ramrod XTreme
Hope you guys had a good ride. I went out for a short solo run because I've got too much going on with the fam today to be able to block out enough time to join you. Tons of other bikes out; my waving arm is tired. A lot more of them were trikes than I'm used to seeing, which is cool and all but I could have done with a few less of them holding up traffic in front of me. Even cars and trucks were trying to get around them.

Oh well, it's been a beautiful day and I got the road to myself enough times to make for a fun ride, even if it was too short. I might even get to ride to work tomorrow for what I think might be the first time all year.

Skreemer
Jan 28, 2006
I like blue.
It was drat nice out. There was water everywhere, and everywhere there was water there were loads of people with fishing poles. Most of the roads were fairly clear though there were spots that had some gravel, thankfully mostly in the straights. I'm not counting some of the construction we went through.

kuffs
Mar 29, 2007

Projectile Dysfunction
Yeah, there was some construction near Lowry Crossing that was pretty worrisome. Otherwise a good run. I wish that the roads weren't blocked off for the spillway at Devon Lake.

Skreemer
Jan 28, 2006
I like blue.
interested in a Ducati test ride event:

Start:
June 12 @ 9:00 am
End:
June 14 @ 6:00 pm
Event Categories:
Ducati Experience Tour, US Tours

Venue

AMS DUCATI DALLAS
1318 N Riverfront Blvd, Dallas, TX 75207 United States

M. Night Skymall
Mar 22, 2012

Wouldn't mind riding a Hyperstrada. https://www.facebook.com/events/102038290129495/

Alceste
Dec 5, 2003

Ramrod XTreme
Sweet! And Community Brewing is right by there. And I haven't made any plans for next weekend yet. Maybe the stars are finally aligned for me.

nitrogen
May 21, 2004

I'm going to be making a lot more money with my new job, so I could afford to maintain a Ducati now!

Skreemer
Jan 28, 2006
I like blue.

nitrogen posted:

I'm going to be making a lot more money with my new job, so I could afford to maintain a Ducati now!

Or simply purchase one that's new and hasn't been badly maintained or not maintained at all.

I want to try one of the newer multistrada and a hyperstrada.

PadreScout
Mar 14, 2008
I for one find it refreshing how it went, over a just a few days, from raining and 80 degrees for 2 months to 95 degrees every day.

Anyone else make it to MotoLiberty over the weekend? I got a sweet VIP pin for my riding jacket.

kuffs
Mar 29, 2007

Projectile Dysfunction
I wanted to, but blew my budget a few days before. Klim released a new iteration of their Badlands suit that fits me far better. It's going to take the place of the 'stich for touring.

nitrogen
May 21, 2004

Skreemer posted:

Or simply purchase one that's new and hasn't been badly maintained or not maintained at all.

I want to try one of the newer multistrada and a hyperstrada.

Shush, stop being logical.

Skreemer
Jan 28, 2006
I like blue.
This weekend is the Ducati demo... Guess what I did after work ended at 10am:

Scrambler: Seat was uncomfortable, surprisingly peppy if you can work the throttle, the wide bars made it easy to throw around. Not a highway bike but a drat fine around town or commuter.

Multistrada: drat comfy, lots of room in the seat, I had to spin up the motor to get it to go off the bottom end but was assured if placed into sport mode would wake it up a lot. I could flat foot it.

Hyperstrada: I could not flat foot this bike, it's deceptively tall. Very skinny and light, you can toss it about easily. Definitely an around town ride. You sit very far forward.

They had for a demo, a panigale, a few monsters, a streetfighter, 2 hyperstradas, a handful of multistradas, a diavel, and a scrambler.

This is at AMS Ducati Dallas (down near the contemporary art gallery)
They are open tomorrow from 9am to 5pm.

Skreemer fucked around with this message at 00:01 on Jun 13, 2015

kuffs
Mar 29, 2007

Projectile Dysfunction

Skreemer posted:

Hyperstrada: I could not flat foot this bike, it's deceptively tall. Very skinny and light, you can toss it about easily. Definitely an around town ride. You sit very far forward.

M. Night Skymall is gonna be awfully disappointed :(

Skreemer
Jan 28, 2006
I like blue.
I wonder if they are still going to run everything with all the "fun" happening this morning here in Dallas.

kuffs
Mar 29, 2007

Projectile Dysfunction
I managed to get out there this morning

Hypermotard: Mostly great ergonomics for a guy my size. Sits far forward, like the Hyperstrada. The shift linkage was loose on my bike, so the transmission felt awful. I wished for a gear indicator and am kinda surprised it's not present on a $12k bike. Would be pretty fun around town, but at its price point I'd be looking at trying to find a 690SMC-R here in the states.

Multistrada: I rode the one with the low seat and was able to flat foot it. Nice comfortable seating position. The touring mode was way too soft, and the sport mode was incredibly twitchy on even the mildest terrain. Manages to feel really light in spite of its weight. The flickability was pretty notable in contrast with my R1200GS. I didn't care for the switchgear on the bike at all. The ride mode selector didn't give very good tactile feedback and was hard to use with gloves on. I can see why people buy them, though. It manages to feel really sporty without compromising the seating position or touring comfort. I think I'd like to ride an S1000XR though, for comparison.

Skreemer
Jan 28, 2006
I like blue.
I went again on Sunday around noon. I rode the Monster 1200. Around the streets it was "ok". It felt weak about everywhere and coming from my bandit 1250, the M1200 felt like it had no power. Until I got it on the highway and cracked the throttle to catch up to the group. The bike leaped ahead as if someone lit a fire under it. Just under nominal throttle pull you could feel the front end get light as soon as you got it higher in the RPM range.

I will end up getting a touring machine at some point and I think the Multistrada is a definite candidate. Though like Kuffs mentions, I'd like to try out the S1000XR.

nitrogen
May 21, 2004

Quick question for any of you dallas folks...

Do you have any problems parking in paid lots? I'm currently parked in a paid lot right by my new office building (and yes I paid!)

I've never seen a motorcycle in one of these lots before, though, so i'm just a little itchy. Lot 105 at 2402 San Jacinto. run by Platinum Parking

Marxalot
Dec 24, 2008

Appropriator of
Dan Crenshaw's Eyepatch

PadreScout posted:

I for one find it refreshing how it went, over a just a few days, from raining and 80 degrees for 2 months to 95 degrees every day.

Anyone else make it to MotoLiberty over the weekend? I got a sweet VIP pin for my riding jacket.

Can you guys send a motoliberty franchise to Houston? All we have is Cyclegear.

Skreemer
Jan 28, 2006
I like blue.

nitrogen posted:

Quick question for any of you dallas folks...

Do you have any problems parking in paid lots? I'm currently parked in a paid lot right by my new office building (and yes I paid!)

I've never seen a motorcycle in one of these lots before, though, so i'm just a little itchy. Lot 105 at 2402 San Jacinto. run by Platinum Parking

I had an issue when I lived in Dubuque. The paid lots were owned by the city and for some reason my bike didn't activate the sensors to raise the arm blocking the path. When I went to the office and complained the old lady there working the front office told that parking a motorcycle in a parking garage is unthinkable. I ended up having to call the city hall and talking to the official in charge of them. Of all things he refunded me 2 months of fees and set up a crew to be there on a Saturday and we set the loop on the local parking garages to pick up my bike so they wouldn't have the issue again.

I never had an issue in Chicago. I also have not had an issue here in Dallas yet either(though all the lots I've parked at here were outside flat lots.)

nitrogen
May 21, 2004

HEY KUFFS DID YOU SEE LONG WAY AROUND?

Back it up Terry
Nov 20, 2006

I live in Plano near 75/Bush. Where's the goto place to get my tires changed?

M. Night Skymall
Mar 22, 2012

compton rear end terry posted:

I live in Plano near 75/Bush. Where's the goto place to get my tires changed?

I do mine in my garage, prices in DFW for tire changes are crazy. There's a Cycle Gear near there that'll change tires though and they charge about the same as everyone else. Pretty sure they require you to bring the wheels in off the bike, might get an overall better rate if you get your tires from there.

nitrogen
May 21, 2004

Folks at that cycle gear are top notch. Fully Recommended.

There's also 5 star cycles in Garland (232 E Buckingham Rd, Garland, TX 75040) that i've heard good things about, too.

Probably way out of your way, but there's also Superbikes of Dallas (http://www.superbikesofdallas.com/) they are a bit on the expensive side, but the guy that owns it is good people, and he'll go out of his way to make you happy if he can.

Back it up Terry
Nov 20, 2006

I actually live right behind that cycle gear. Do they have a shop in the back or do they do it in the parking lot?

kuffs
Mar 29, 2007

Projectile Dysfunction
The Cycle Gear at Park and 75 charged me $85 last time, off bike, and they kept them for 36 hours. I now do my changes at BMW Plano, which costs just a little bit more, but will do them in 45 mins.

edit: I've had the tires for my EX250 done at 5 Star. They were okay. Don't remember the cost.

Skreemer
Jan 28, 2006
I like blue.
Bates off of 35 and valley view holds em usually for a day, depending on how busy they are and it costs 40$ (IIRC).

PadreScout
Mar 14, 2008
This made me think of Skreemer. Bandit 1250 Regular Car Review.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dVUZMAPjHTI

Skreemer
Jan 28, 2006
I like blue.

PadreScout posted:

This made me think of Skreemer. Bandit 1250 Regular Car Review.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dVUZMAPjHTI

Every word of it is true.

Alceste
Dec 5, 2003

Ramrod XTreme
I know it's still pretty hot out, but is anyone putting together a ride this (long) weekend?

kuffs
Mar 29, 2007

Projectile Dysfunction
MNS and I have a track day on Monday. I've been anxiously watching the weather for a good weekend to haul everyone out again. My brother just got his license and a new bike, so I really wanna show him the better routes and squid-free community

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alceste
Dec 5, 2003

Ramrod XTreme
I had a nice time on 2933 for a bit and then riding 455 between Anna and Sanger yesterday and then coming home through Prosper. Prosper is boring but I liked the rest. Not much of a ride by yall's standards, I know, but it was a lot more miles than I've put on the bike since before it got hot. This summer has been crazy busy and since I'm still sort of fat the majority of my two-wheeled miles have been pedal powered. If the motorcycle could burn calories it would get a lot more of my attention these days. :(

Hope your track day went well. I have a brother-in-law who can't seem to visit a track without coming home with a half-destroyed bike and a limp these days. On the other hand, I did get to camp with him at a very cool track (Road America, WI) over the July 4th weekend, which was great till he crashed.

e: spotted a guy in a white suit on a BMW coming out of a turn on 455 real hot and thought of Kuffs

Alceste fucked around with this message at 17:00 on Sep 8, 2015

• Locked thread