Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
nitrogen
May 21, 2004

Oh, what's a 217°C difference between friends?
apparently they make "Reuglar" helmets with the integrated visor now. I think the GT Air is the non-modular version of the Neotek. Just FYI.

And yeah, I totally understand, this laziness of mine was a big reason I upgraded to a new helmet.

In retrospect I'm glad I did, even tho the neotek was rather expensive, the airflow in it is 200% better, its a lot quieter (really REALLY quiet with the vents closed) even though its a lil bit heavier.

With my old Backlash, keeping an extra visor around was always a pain, and it'd get scratched up until I found a nice carrier for it. Was a big pain when i'd work late unexpectedly, and i'd be heading home with the dark visor...

In other words, dont be too hard on yourself, it really does suck. (or maybe i'm more lazy than you)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skreemer
Jan 28, 2006
I like blue.
I cheat, I run a clear visor with 3 - 4 pieces of electrical tape across the top to act as a sun visor.

Baxter
Sep 13, 2000
Hey good to see a Dallas thread here.

I just picked up an Indian Scout and will keep an eye on this thread.

Skreemer
Jan 28, 2006
I like blue.
We welcome all styles of bikes, sport, touring, and sport touring. (no really anyone is welcome)

Back it up Terry
Nov 20, 2006

Anything going on tomorrow before this rain comes in?

kuffs
Mar 29, 2007

Projectile Dysfunction
It would be fun but I haven't been feeling great lately :(

Skreemer
Jan 28, 2006
I like blue.
If folks want to get together, I'm all for it. I don't have a route plan or anything, heck even getting together for breakfast somewhere and swapping lies would work.
If it's Saturday morning, I'll have to meet you all en route. I'm in the office until 10am.

Skreemer
Jan 28, 2006
I like blue.
Chilly yet sunny this weekend. Anyone going out and about?

nitrogen
May 21, 2004

I might be depending on how cold.

I have grip warmers from M42 coming in but they might not be here this weekend.

Clitch
Feb 26, 2002

I lived through
Donald Trump's presidency
and all I got was
this lousy virus
Hopefully by the time you guys get going, in the spring, I'll be comfortable enough to join you on a ride. I'd definitely be up for Fossil Rim, since I live just off of 377, in SW Fort Worth.

Guess I should post new to me first bike pic, and be an official DFW CA Goon:

Alceste
Dec 5, 2003

Ramrod XTreme
I might have some time on Sunday. Haven't been out for a long time, and I can layer up pretty good, so if something comes together I might be up for it. I need to get on the bike soon regardless. Tired of watching it gather dust in the garage.

solarNativity
Nov 11, 2012

Just as everything was goin' great, I think I'm having battery issues. First my starter stopped working (thank Satan for kickstart) and now my lights went straight out.

kuffs
Mar 29, 2007

Projectile Dysfunction
That sounds like a battery issue for sure. Protip: Autozone sells motorcycle batteries and they won't cost as much as Cyclegear.

Skreemer
Jan 28, 2006
I like blue.
Just bought a new battery myself. Annoying as hell that every time I turn on the bike the clock resets itself to 12:01. It's 9 years old now and has live a number of years through Illinois/Iowa winters and now two summers living outside here in Texas. Though I went "expensive" and bought a bike master activate AGM.

PadreScout
Mar 14, 2008
My K75 will be done here in another week or two. Oh please oh please stay warming this winter so I can ride the thing a little!

Skreemer
Jan 28, 2006
I like blue.
Now we need a bunch of santa suits and a place to gather downtown.

Skreemer
Jan 28, 2006
I like blue.
For those of you that celebrate it, Merry Christmas.
For the rest, Happy Holidays.
Praise the deity of your choice.

nitrogen
May 21, 2004

I DID go for a nice ride through terrell and back today. it was a beautiful day!

kuffs
Mar 29, 2007

Projectile Dysfunction
Everyone make it through the storm okay?

nitrogen
May 21, 2004

Yeah. It passed pretty close to here though.

Alceste
Dec 5, 2003

Ramrod XTreme
I'm in Tulsa for work and I am fairly certain that a severe storm, power outage and/or tornado has occurred every single time I've had to make a business trip. Evidently nothing happened in McKinney, but I am really getting tired of that feeling when my family is huddled in a closet in my house and I'm far away and helpless. I hope the rest of the DFW CA goons are all right.

I've been over that I-30 @ PGBT overpass multiple times on bikes and have thought about how scary it would be to get blown off, but never thought it would actually happen to anyone.

e: anyone know what "Fun Shoe" is supposed to mean? I feel like an old man for asking :(

Skreemer
Jan 28, 2006
I like blue.
Is anyone going to the motorcycle show this year? January 22nd to the 24th.

kuffs
Mar 29, 2007

Projectile Dysfunction
I'll probably be there. May bring some bike-curious friends

Alceste
Dec 5, 2003

Ramrod XTreme
I kinda want to go but also don't want to torture myself with desire for things I'll never get to have.

Then again it might be fun if I bring the kids.

Clitch
Feb 26, 2002

I lived through
and all I got was
this lousy virus
I guess this is as good a place as any to ask. The TxDoT site isn't very clear. Do you have to take the written at the DoT, or do you just show them your MSF certificate, and get your 'M'?

kuffs
Mar 29, 2007

Projectile Dysfunction
I got mine a little over two years ago. You have to take your certificate to a DPS licensing station along with your current license. You'll be given a computer-based multiple choice exam. The MSF certificate acts as a voucher to avoid doing the practical exam.

Clitch
Feb 26, 2002

I lived through
and all I got was
this lousy virus

kuffs posted:

I got mine a little over two years ago. You have to take your certificate to a DPS licensing station along with your current license. You'll be given a computer-based multiple choice exam. The MSF certificate acts as a voucher to avoid doing the practical exam.

That's what I thought, before I looked at TxDoT's site, and they didn't mention the test, but it's probably just a dumb omission. The multiple choice isn't exactly scary, so no big deal.

kuffs
Mar 29, 2007

Projectile Dysfunction
I think you're looking in the wrong place. The DoT doesn't handle licensing in TX, the Department of Public Safety does.

https://www.txdps.state.tx.us/DriverLicense/motorcyclelicense.htm

Looks like you got exceptionally lucky. As of two days ago, the knowledge test is waived for those with an MSF certificate.

Clitch
Feb 26, 2002

I lived through
and all I got was
this lousy virus

kuffs posted:

I think you're looking in the wrong place. The DoT doesn't handle licensing in TX, the Department of Public Safety does.

https://www.txdps.state.tx.us/DriverLicense/motorcyclelicense.htm

Looks like you got exceptionally lucky. As of two days ago, the knowledge test is waived for those with an MSF certificate.

That's the exact page I was on. I was saying Txdot in error. That's why I was confused about the test, since it didn't seem to mention it in addition to the MSF cert.

Well that's awesome. Really it's just a timesaver, but the less time I spend at the DPS the better.

kuffs
Mar 29, 2007

Projectile Dysfunction
:toot: welp, you'll need to join us on our next ride, then.

Clitch
Feb 26, 2002

I lived through
and all I got was
this lousy virus
I need to sort out a few things, before I do more than short hops. New tires, definitely. Pants, A mirror that shows me more than my shoulder, and some front signals. The PO put freakin LED strips on the triple for signals. Only one works(connection came loose. Easy fix), and they're both trying to peel off. I'll be a lot more satisfied with actual clamps and signals, even though I know they're not legally required. It's all quibbles, and I'm still amazed that I found a mechanically sound EX-500 for less than $2000 around here.

Clitch
Feb 26, 2002

I lived through
and all I got was
this lousy virus
Today was such a nice day to be on the MSF range.

Skreemer
Jan 28, 2006
I like blue.

Clitch posted:

Today was such a nice day to be on the MSF range.

What bike did you ride for the course?

I'm going to the motorcycle show on Saturday the 23rd, anyone else going? (I get off work at 10AM and will head over)

Clitch
Feb 26, 2002

I lived through
and all I got was
this lousy virus

Skreemer posted:

What bike did you ride for the course?

I'm going to the motorcycle show on Saturday the 23rd, anyone else going? (I get off work at 10AM and will head over)

A poo poo-shifting, rod-knocking gz250. I don't blame the bike for me failing, though. I basically could not get over a mental block, and devolved into a complete loss of confidence. Also, I am very sore. I will be very diligent not to fall at speed, because falling at 2mph has not done my body any favors.

Alceste
Dec 5, 2003

Ramrod XTreme

Clitch posted:

A poo poo-shifting, rod-knocking gz250. I don't blame the bike for me failing, though. I basically could not get over a mental block, and devolved into a complete loss of confidence. Also, I am very sore. I will be very diligent not to fall at speed, because falling at 2mph has not done my body any favors.

Sounds like the one I got, but I'd never been on a bike before so I had nothing to compare it to at the time.

Would you care to elaborate any more on what happened?

I hope you don't get discouraged. My MSF class only had one other student in it, a state trooper with a few decades of dirtbike and motorcycle experience, and he was the one who dropped the bike and scraped the poo poo out of his arm. I think he was weirded out by being on such a small bike, maybe, or by doing things in those parking lot maneuvers that he never had to do during his years of self-taught riding. I dunno, he was embarrassed and I didn't want to press him on it. It was an eye opener for me, though, on the topic of overconfidence and/or not having your head straight. The story he told me about how his dad died after getting distracted, hitting a curb and having his bike land on top of him may also have contributed to that.

edit instead of double post:

Skreemer posted:

If I can free up some time Saturday I'd still like to go but I'm not sure yet if that will be possible. I think I'll bring my older son so I can try to see things more from his perspective rather than "here is a lot of really nice stuff I'll never get to have".

Alceste fucked around with this message at 16:12 on Jan 20, 2016

Clitch
Feb 26, 2002

I lived through
and all I got was
this lousy virus

Alceste posted:

Sounds like the one I got, but I'd never been on a bike before so I had nothing to compare it to at the time.

Would you care to elaborate any more on what happened?

I hope you don't get discouraged. My MSF class only had one other student in it, a state trooper with a few decades of dirtbike and motorcycle experience, and he was the one who dropped the bike and scraped the poo poo out of his arm. I think he was weirded out by being on such a small bike, maybe, or by doing things in those parking lot maneuvers that he never had to do during his years of self-taught riding. I dunno, he was embarrassed and I didn't want to press him on it. It was an eye opener for me, though, on the topic of overconfidence and/or not having your head straight. The story he told me about how his dad died after getting distracted, hitting a curb and having his bike land on top of him may also have contributed to that.

I basically had 20 years of driving experience overriding something the coach was telling us, explicitly.

In my frontal brain, after reading a lot about the course, and low speed stuff, I completely understood. Then, the second I'd start riding, my lizard brain just took over.

I've spent a lot of my driving years in gutless manual vehicles. I tend to keep tabs on the tach and engine note, so I was keeping an ear out on the bike. The problem is that I'm listening for a gutless truck's Rev range, and not a little bike's.

If my Rodeo hits 4K, I have stabbed it, so instead of getting to where the bike actually wakes up, and modulating with the clutch, I was trying to fine throttle the thing at lower revs. Once again, this was the opposite of what the very cool and understanding instructor was telling us.

I struggled, but maintained up until the box exercise, but by then, I was too nerve-wracked, frustrated, and out of confidence. I killed it, while turning in, and fell off, twice.

The guy had a little sidebar with me, and we both agreed I was just brainlocked, and needed to call it a day. He never stopped being positive with me. He encouraged me to sleep on it, and give it a week, before I gave up on riding. I was composing the craigslist ad for my Ninja 500 on my way home, but by the end of work Monday, I had my hopes back. I blame only myself, and when posting in the questions thread led me to realize what I was doing, I felt duly stupid.

I've got a nice, quiet parking lot near me, so I'm going to take it slow, work out the proper thinking->application, and reschedule soon.

Marxalot
Dec 24, 2008

Appropriator of
Dan Crenshaw's Eyepatch
I had similar problems with stalling the 125 they gave us. I was trying to not rev it and be really loud, which is exactly what you have to do to get a 125cc cruiser to move at all. Took a while to get over that.

Marxalot fucked around with this message at 19:22 on Jan 20, 2016

Alceste
Dec 5, 2003

Ramrod XTreme
Hearing Yoda's voice in my head right now..."You must unlearn what you have learned..."

I drove mostly manual transmission cars until like 2008, and several of the ones I had were especially unforgiving--my gutless cars were the easiest not to stall, but the last one I had was pretty ballsy--so the idea of slipping the clutch on purpose was very hard for me to grasp. Understanding the difference between wet and dry clutches helped me a lot with that. Commuting in slow traffic is real good practice for that too.

Skreemer
Jan 28, 2006
I like blue.

Clitch posted:

I basically had 20 years of driving experience overriding something the coach was telling us, explicitly.

In my frontal brain, after reading a lot about the course, and low speed stuff, I completely understood. Then, the second I'd start riding, my lizard brain just took over.

I've spent a lot of my driving years in gutless manual vehicles. I tend to keep tabs on the tach and engine note, so I was keeping an ear out on the bike. The problem is that I'm listening for a gutless truck's Rev range, and not a little bike's.

If my Rodeo hits 4K, I have stabbed it, so instead of getting to where the bike actually wakes up, and modulating with the clutch, I was trying to fine throttle the thing at lower revs. Once again, this was the opposite of what the very cool and understanding instructor was telling us.

I struggled, but maintained up until the box exercise, but by then, I was too nerve-wracked, frustrated, and out of confidence. I killed it, while turning in, and fell off, twice.

The guy had a little sidebar with me, and we both agreed I was just brainlocked, and needed to call it a day. He never stopped being positive with me. He encouraged me to sleep on it, and give it a week, before I gave up on riding. I was composing the craigslist ad for my Ninja 500 on my way home, but by the end of work Monday, I had my hopes back. I blame only myself, and when posting in the questions thread led me to realize what I was doing, I felt duly stupid.

I've got a nice, quiet parking lot near me, so I'm going to take it slow, work out the proper thinking->application, and reschedule soon.

If you want some one on one time with a coach for a bit I was an MSF instructor for 4 years. Otherwise, practice, practice, practice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Clitch
Feb 26, 2002

I lived through
and all I got was
this lousy virus

Skreemer posted:

If you want some one on one time with a coach for a bit I was an MSF instructor for 4 years. Otherwise, practice, practice, practice.

I may take you up on it, if I can't improve on my own, but I live on the opposite corner of the metroplex.

I'm confident I'll get it together at my own pace. The MSF course is great, but it's hard for me to put everything together with the rapid-fire drills. My ADD makes it difficult to learn at that pace.

• Locked thread