Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Skreemer
Jan 28, 2006
I like blue.

Clitch posted:

I may take you up on it, if I can't improve on my own, but I live on the opposite corner of the metroplex.

I'm confident I'll get it together at my own pace. The MSF course is great, but it's hard for me to put everything together with the rapid-fire drills. My ADD makes it difficult to learn at that pace.

I've got the booklet with the drills in it still, if you want, just let me know when and where to show up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nitrogen
May 21, 2004

Oh, what's a 217°C difference between friends?
Half the battle I think, is realizing you're getting it wrong. Now that you know you're doing it wrong, hopefully you can recognize when you're doing it right.

Clitch
Feb 26, 2002

I lived through
Donald Trump's presidency
and all I got was
this lousy virus

nitrogen posted:

Half the battle I think, is realizing you're getting it wrong. Now that you know you're doing it wrong, hopefully you can recognize when you're doing it right.

If nothing comes up, Sunday I'll be out on the grinder, trying to work poo poo out. I'll report back.

Skreemer, that is really cool of you, and I'll keep it in mind. Whether or not I have to take you up on it, and if I get to join you guys on a ride, I'll make sure you go home with a good bomber of beer.

Skreemer
Jan 28, 2006
I like blue.
At the show parking spot 26 at the lot between griffin and lamar. Entrance on griffin.

kuffs
Mar 29, 2007

Projectile Dysfunction
Alright guys, I am planning a ride for tomorrow.

My brother has voted on exploring the LBJ National Grasslands area. I have taken my GS back there on some dirt roads, but obviously since we're not all riding dualsports I'd have to stick to regular roads in the area.

This is what I've got: https://trips.furkot.com/ts/bi8HKF We wanna meet kinda early so there's plenty of time to futz around. I put the arrival time at 9AM for the little cafe there, we can get breakfast.

edit: updated vote, map

kuffs fucked around with this message at 03:43 on Jan 24, 2016

Clitch
Feb 26, 2002

I lived through
and all I got was
this lousy virus
I grew up in Wise Co.

There's some nice blacktop out there, but I honestly don't know if Black Creek's worth a detour down a gravel road. It's a glorified fishing tank.

kuffs
Mar 29, 2007

Projectile Dysfunction
I've been out to Black Creek before and farted around on the dirt roads, had some fun testing out the crash bars

I was trying to do a u-turn and lost my balance in the weeds

I agree wrt: fish tank. Supposedly there's a bunch of small ghost towns in the area.

Clitch
Feb 26, 2002

I lived through
and all I got was
this lousy virus
There's plenty of weird old stuff out there. When I was 18, and gas was $.89/gal, I'd spend hours on those back roads. I honestly don't remember half of it, though.

Alceste
Dec 5, 2003

Ramrod XTreme
I'm booked tomorrow with boring but necessary family business but I hope you all have a good time and get home safe.

solarNativity
Nov 11, 2012

I'm saving hard for a late-model SV650. I feel like that'll be a much more versatile bike for me, and allow me to more confidently attack more roads. Then it'll be warmer and I can get in on this action.

Clitch
Feb 26, 2002

I lived through
and all I got was
this lousy virus
The Decatur courthouse is seriously beautiful, though. Glad you're going by it.

Skreemer
Jan 28, 2006
I like blue.
I'm up for it. See you in a few hours.

Skreemer
Jan 28, 2006
I like blue.
It was a fun few hour run. A bit windy but not too bad. Interesting slow corners on back roads. Non-signaling left turners. Kuffs needs to start a touring firm called "Dirt/gravel Road Detours".

Clitch
Feb 26, 2002

I lived through
and all I got was
this lousy virus

Skreemer posted:

It was a fun few hour run. A bit windy but not too bad. Interesting slow corners on back roads. Non-signaling left turners. Kuffs needs to start a touring firm called "Dirt/gravel Road Detours".

County roads out there are free-for-alls. 730 is a pretty ride, if you don't get stuck behind a rock truck.

I got out yesterday, and made a few loops around the neighborhood to work out my nerves.

I was planning to hit an empty lot near me, but I had a weird issue that made me head back home. I killed it at a stop, and my bike just refused to restart. 1st, neutral, nothing. I flicked the key on and off, cycled my killswitch, and the damned thing would not fire. Finally, I let the clutch out, and it fired right up.

Once I got it home, I noticed the clutch cable was rubbing against the center tube at full lock to the left. I knew the risers would take away some of the play in it, but it had slack, when I checked it, after installing them. Then I noticed there was a zip-tie holding it to the frame. It was just above the little loop guide, and it was definitely binding the cable when I turned the bars. I cut it loose, and watched it through a few lock to lock turns. It wasn't interfering or binding anymore, so hopefully that's all it was. I think a new clutch cable's in my near future, just for peace of mind.

On the skills front, I have to spend some very slow and methodical time on clutch vs. throttle. My learned behavior is stronger than I thought. If my clutch behaves, I'll make the lot tomorrow.

Skreemer
Jan 28, 2006
I like blue.
Check and make sure the that the clutch cut off switch isn't your issue, if that model has one. Usually you can just solder the wires together.

kuffs
Mar 29, 2007

Projectile Dysfunction
Despite what my group rides may lead you to believe, I do not actually *intend* to take us offroad all the time.

I've got the trip imported into Furkot right now, gonna do some editing on it to take out the dirt road and see if I can extend it around some other sights.

edit: a special thanks to those that bear with my detours so that we can scout new routes <3

kuffs fucked around with this message at 01:03 on Jan 26, 2016

Skreemer
Jan 28, 2006
I like blue.
Simply an excuse to buy another bike.

M. Night Skymall
Mar 22, 2012

Skreemer posted:

Simply an excuse to buy another bike.

Or fix the ones I have. :saddowns: The gravel was fine, but my neck is still sore from all the drat wind.

Alceste
Dec 5, 2003

Ramrod XTreme
With all the nice weather I'm surprised this thread hasn't been active. I have been getting small rides in here and there, trying to split what little time I get between bicycles and the motorbike.

With this in mind, the other night I was looking over my house after the kids and their friends had trashed it yet again, and wondering what it would be like to spend a weekend alone, somewhere far away from chores and responsibilities, doing as little as possible other than riding and reading.

Since I don't have a tourer or bike luggage or a lot of time to spend on utterly selfish endeavors like this, I thought about renting a small cabin somewhere near the Talimena Scenic Byway. It's not very far and I still haven't made a ride up there yet. What I really want is to go moto-camping somewhere in the wilderness, but I don't have the bike for it, so I figure a cabin will suffice.

Anybody have any advice or suggestions on where to stay in the area or if there's somewhere better within a similar distance?

Skreemer
Jan 28, 2006
I like blue.

Alceste posted:

wishing for camping.

If you want to borrow it I have a tent, ground cloth, sleeping bag and air mattress that fits into a single tail pack. I put it on the passenger seat and then throw a bungee net over it.

On the Arkansas side of the talimena byway is the city of Mena, there's a few small hotels there. The prices range according to some sites at 45$ and up, though looking through it'd be 55-65.

Queen Wilhelmina State Park offers camping, but it's far enough away from everything you'll want to get there early evening to set up camp, run off to get food and come back with light to spare. I would not want to be on the road when it was dark. The camp sites are 20$ if you want electric and 16$ for a basic tent spot. Both have access to bathrooms and showers. http://www.queenwilhelmina.com/accommodations/camping/default.aspx

kuffs
Mar 29, 2007

Projectile Dysfunction
I'm sorry, that's probably a bit of my own fault. I've been doing some scouting of dual-sporty stuff recently. Most of this group is ill-equipped for that kind of stuff.

Alceste, you should sell your SV650 and buy my DRZ400SM instead!

I personally am booked for the next few weekends. But I'll start thinking of something to do.

Skreemer
Jan 28, 2006
I like blue.
I'm not much of a ride leader, but I am certainly up for good roads and lying about experiences. I have camping gear, I've done the camping thing a number of times.

Alceste
Dec 5, 2003

Ramrod XTreme
Skreemer, thanks, you're a true gentleman. I haven't settled on camping vs. cabin-ing yet since I wouldn't be able to transport firewood and I'm not sure about the food/cooking situation. When I take the family camping the truck is usually full of stuff so I am not very practiced at going primitive style. We rent furnished cabins more often since there's less to pack that way and they don't shake and flap in the wind all night. But when it's just me, I still prefer being outside.

kuffs, I looked hard for DRZs (and failed to find any I could afford) before I got my SV, but I've heard the seats on those things are constructed of pure searing hatred and I still want something I can strap a few bags to and make an occasional multi-hour trip on. It is...tempting, nonetheless. It would be nice to have more options as far as roads go and I'm not afraid of changing my own tires.

Alceste
Dec 5, 2003

Ramrod XTreme
Soonest I'd be able to go is probably the weekend of the 26th anyway, or sometime in mid April. I've got stuff every other weekend except the 12th which I have to keep open in case the idiots I work for decide they want to do their internet circuit cutover on that Saturday night. :suicide:

Could probably fit in a Sunday morning ride sooner if one comes together though.

Skreemer
Jan 28, 2006
I like blue.
And I'm out on the 26th, I've got a friend flying in from Chicago that weekend.

Alceste
Dec 5, 2003

Ramrod XTreme
Sorry, I meant to go on my camping trip, as a heads up in case I do end up borrowing your stuff. I have a smaller tent and cot of my own that might fit on my bike though. I can probably make a group ride sooner that.

kuffs
Mar 29, 2007

Projectile Dysfunction

Alceste posted:

kuffs, I looked hard for DRZs (and failed to find any I could afford) before I got my SV, but I've heard the seats on those things are constructed of pure searing hatred and I still want something I can strap a few bags to and make an occasional multi-hour trip on. It is...tempting, nonetheless. It would be nice to have more options as far as roads go and I'm not afraid of changing my own tires.

There's several folks that make all manner of racks for the DRZ. You could also go for one of the many rackless systems like http://www.altrider.com/altrider-hemisphere-saddlebag/pid/1467, https://giantloopmoto.com/product/coyote-saddlebag/, or http://www.moskomoto.com/collections/moto-camping-luggage/products/reckless-80l and just get a tail rack for incidentals.

More comfortable seats are available from SeatConcepts as well as others.

kuffs fucked around with this message at 21:57 on Mar 2, 2016

Alceste
Dec 5, 2003

Ramrod XTreme
I get 404s for the first two links but I see what you mean. Still seems like a lot to ask of a small bike to carry my 220 lb self and a bunch of bags, but I guess it depends on how far away the camp site is.

Still curious, though, why are you selling and how much?

kuffs
Mar 29, 2007

Projectile Dysfunction
Sorry, looks like SA incorporated the commas into the url. Both should be good now.

I'm pretty sure the SM subframe is one of the stronger, if not strongest, variant in the DRZ lineup. But I'm not sure of the actual load rating.

I'm selling it because my GS will do just about everything that the DRZ can. I bought the DRZ when I thought I would have both a dual sport and a sport tourer. But it turns out that the R1200GS was really the bike for me after all. And any sport desires I have I can get resolved on the track. The money I make off of the DRZ will go into having a set of dirt wheels built for the GS so I can do quick swaps.

It's an 09 SM 3800mi. I put 3300 of those miles on it myself in the past 16 months. 3x3 mod, new air filter, rejetted. Stock carb and exhaust. Shorty levers and handguards. Side stand switch has been (reversibly) removed to keep the weight of the sidestand from killing the engine on bumps. It's got a few boot scuffs on the rear plastics, but it's otherwise in very fine shape. As far as I can tell, it's lived its entire life in a garage. Needs a new rear tire soonish, but I figured I'd let the new owner decide if they want to do dual sport tires, or go for street tires. I'd like $4k for it. Clean TX title in hand.

You're of course welcome to ride it anytime you like. Skreemer and MNS have already used it as a loaner on some of our rides.

Alceste
Dec 5, 2003

Ramrod XTreme
That's pretty close to what I expected pricewise. I remember it looking great the one time I saw Skreemer on it. Someday I would like to ride one to see what the fuss is about.

I don't think I have a prayer of getting more than $2K for my SV with the miles and years it's got though, despite the cherry shape it's in. Nobody wants curvies and it seems like the world is full of people who are scared of carburetors. I don't think I could justify funding the rest out of pocket, as $2K would be a nice little vacation for us or a good chunk of landscaping (this is the boring poo poo I have to think about when it comes to spending) but then again I don't know what's happening with taxes and this year's bonus. I expect screwings from both Dell and the IRS but something good could happen. :homebrew:

Skreemer
Jan 28, 2006
I like blue.

Alceste posted:

Sorry, I meant to go on my camping trip, as a heads up in case I do end up borrowing your stuff. I have a smaller tent and cot of my own that might fit on my bike though. I can probably make a group ride sooner that.

No worries, if you need to borrow anything, just let me know.

nitrogen
May 21, 2004

Somebody wrote a really neat tool to find curvy motorcycle roads!

https://github.com/adamfranco/curvature

You need some openmap data to make this work. Instructions are on the github.

I've premade a KMZ for the DFW area and surrounding areas for us. You can open this in Google Earth to see the roads its picked out.

http://www.nurgle.net/random/omgmap2.xml.c_800.kmz (This is my own hosting)

Here's one for ALL of Texas, if we want to plan longer trips:

http://www.nurgle.net/random/texas.c_1000.kmz (Again, my hosting)

nitrogen fucked around with this message at 20:28 on Mar 9, 2016

azzenco
Jan 16, 2004

Slippery Tilde
Selling my 2013 cbr250r abs if anyone is interested. My < 10x rides a year make me feel bad for owning a bike.

Is this a high price? $3200/1500 miles. Only knock is it's lowered I guess. Third time "trying" to sell it and honestly, if it doesn't sell I ain't too worried. Guess I'd just keep riding.

Goon discount if interested.

solarNativity
Nov 11, 2012

Caught a short, but very intense burst of heavy hail over here. We've got many tiny dents, cracked windows, and at least one destroyed taillight - is everyone whole?

Thankfully, I had already stashed the bike I got earlier that day, which is quite an upgrade:

Clitch
Feb 26, 2002

I lived through
and all I got was
this lousy virus

N is for Nipples posted:

Caught a short, but very intense burst of heavy hail over here. We've got many tiny dents, cracked windows, and at least one destroyed taillight - is everyone whole?

Thankfully, I had already stashed the bike I got earlier that day, which is quite an upgrade:

I got out of work in Westlake last night, and had to camp under the awning at QT while the storm passed. I was in the path of radar indicated tornadic activity, and the sirens went off just as I was getting into my car. Bike was safe under my carport in South FW.

Skreemer
Jan 28, 2006
I like blue.
My truck now looks like a golf ball. My roof is just about toast. The hail actually stripped sections of wood away from my fence, not to mention it pulped the side facing the storm and looks like someone took a shotgun full of double aught sized pellets and tried to do "art".

Luckily I keep the bike in the garage. I'm thinking I want a carport also.

nitrogen
May 21, 2004

It sounded like loving armageddon.

Skreemer
Jan 28, 2006
I like blue.
The wind was pushing from one direction at my place and luckily I have only 1 window on that side of the house. The window had a nice canvas awning over it, now it's just tattered remains.

Go go magic of insurance.

kuffs
Mar 29, 2007

Projectile Dysfunction
My truck was beat up pretty bad too. Can't decide if I want to claim it though. They may total it, and it's still a perfectly fine truck even if it looks like crap.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alceste
Dec 5, 2003

Ramrod XTreme
Goddamn guys, that sucks. I got my wife's car in the garage with the bike but my truck always has to hope for the best in the driveway when storms roll through because it won't fit. I need a new roof, but I don't want my truck to get hosed up yet. It's a 2013 and still new to me. :(

We got lucky and the storm system sort of split and went around McKinney but I was expecting some damage. We got pebble sized hail last week but nothing from the most recent storm except some broken tree limbs in the neighborhood. Sooner or later our card will come up though.

BTW Nipples I've been looking at that SV1000 on Craigslist for a while. I like the color and the semi-naked look with the belly pan, and I'm sure I'd enjoy the extra power (and the convenience of EFI) over my curvy but I can't justify any selfish expenditures until I either get a new job or Dell decides that its employees deserve raises again within this decade. It's cool that a CA goon picked it up and I hope to see it in person sometime.

• Locked thread