Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
PadreScout
Mar 14, 2008
There are a few in the goon rides thread, one dude not too far from DFW. Bound to be more that haven't bothered posting to the thread. I'll ride if you want. I too am pretty busy during the week but have wide open weekends. Let me know.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PadreScout
Mar 14, 2008

Skreemer posted:

Are there any roads other than on/off ramps in the area that are worthy of trekking to in the immediate area? I know about the hill country/3 sisters, but is there a hidden gem nearby?

Otherwise is there a route I can take that has at least decent sights (architecture/natural formations et al)?

There's supposedly good riding up north of town like Frisco area. I've gone South to Glenrose/Granbury area, its real pretty, not a bad ride- also another hour and your into the Hill Country which is fantastic riding. Up north of the DFW area is 697, it great, but short. East(ish) is the piney woods and Lake o' the Pines- I've heard great stuff about the riding there, but only been through in a car. West is .... Actually- don't go west, ain't nothing west worth seeing until like.... New Mexico. West sucks. gently caress you, west.

So far as "in" DFW riding that'll knock your socks off? Not so much. But if you're willing to ride an hour out of town there is a huge world of good riding.

edit: As far as architecture in dallas:Downtown Ft. Worth and Dallas are fun to ride. There shittons of neat buildings, traffic is a hassle, but its neat. Also OldTown Plano is cool- like off Ave. K north of G W Bush.

PadreScout fucked around with this message at 16:50 on Oct 22, 2013

PadreScout
Mar 14, 2008
I'm game. What time did you have in mind?

PadreScout
Mar 14, 2008
Yeah, you wanna do this tomorrow then? That works out good- I am SUPER HILARIOUSLY behind on my chain maintenance schedule so that gives me this afternoon to sneak out and get a paddock stand so i can take care of it.

PadreScout
Mar 14, 2008
Hey guys, possible nice ride.

http://www.motorcycleroads.com/75/556/Texas/Bristol-Bluebonnet-Bash.html

Probably not a tremendous number or nice riding days left in the season, but we should try and sneak it in if we have a chance.\

edit: Oh, MotoLiberty is also doing a Zombie ride this coming Tuesday (Oct 29th). Their signup sheet had about 12 people on it as of yesterday, so it look like it'd be fairly sedate numbers- they'll paint you up like a Zombie and they're going to group ride.

PadreScout fucked around with this message at 15:44 on Oct 27, 2013

PadreScout
Mar 14, 2008
You guys missed out! Skreemer and I went for a good ride, ate some good food at a restaurant owned by a former GP rider, got to dodge pedestrians in some shopping center, went through a tunnel (woo, tunnels!). It was a good time! You Dallas riders don't be shy! Still bound to be some more good riding weather before the season gets too lovely.

PadreScout
Mar 14, 2008
Alright, Goons! It's Thursday, supposed to be a nice weekend. Anyone feel like taking a ride?

PadreScout
Mar 14, 2008
I'm so jealous! That sounds like it was a good ride. Hopefully I can make the next one. With any luck I'll have a new set of cans on my machine by then, too!

PadreScout
Mar 14, 2008
Looks good! I didn't make it out this weekend on account of playing the "what tools do I need?" game for my exhaust install this week.

PadreScout
Mar 14, 2008
I hope it is warm! I desperately want to get out and burn some fuel.

PadreScout
Mar 14, 2008
Motoliberty is awesome. I like those guys. I also got to play with my new paddock stand (which I got from Motoliberty)! Fun stuff. Easy to use and seems nice and stable. My chain is now super clean! Or , I think it's super-clean, I'm traditionally a shaft-drive guy, so this whole "chain" thing is new to me.

Good day for riding, anyone else get out?

Also, anyone have a compelling reason I shouldn't stick this on my bike? http://www.twistedthrottle.com/sw-motech-crashbars-engine-guards-triumph-street-triple-675-08

I'm moving to that Remus system (it sounds like angels screaming something to death: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RcfwGYOrsso)as soon as my goddamned exhaust gaskets come in, which according to the nice Austrians should weight something like 15 pounds less than my stock exhaust. Those crash bars weigh 12 pounds, so I figure if I slap those on, total bike weight change is inconsequential. Well, as inconsequential as it can be with my fat rear end riding it.

PadreScout fucked around with this message at 00:29 on Nov 18, 2013

PadreScout
Mar 14, 2008

I've ridden that 697 between Sherman and Whitewright - super nice but short, I didn't know about that south leg on 496 until I got back home. Good to hear it's good stuff. I'm going to have to get out and ride it here in the near future.

PadreScout
Mar 14, 2008
weathers about to turn poo poo. Looks like the end of the season is upon us.

Everyone put some fuel stabilizer in their machine and run it into the carbs?

PadreScout
Mar 14, 2008
Lovely day for a ride, eh, gents?

PadreScout
Mar 14, 2008
Yeah, I took my Miata out for Tokyo Driftu on Friday, I think I'll just wait it out over the weekend. Get some videogame time in and relax.

PadreScout
Mar 14, 2008
The Lee Parks riding school teaches (and it has worked well for me) is to just "flop" into the turn. Basically, don't try and lean and then lean more, you basically want to drop into your final lean angle in one go. It feels a little wierd until you get used to it, but you can turn in a lot sharper if you do it that way.

oh hey, someone else bothered to put the steps from his book concerning this on the internet, so I'm stealing them(thanks, camera56, whoever the gently caress you are):

"Lee describes ten steps. It feels like a lot to remember when you’re reading it, but with just a bit of practice, it comes naturally.

1. Reposition the foot (get your toes out of the way so you don’t scrape them). On a cruiser, this isn’t important.
2. Pre-position the body. This is where the action is. Get at least your upper body inside the vertical centerline of the bike. If you’re riding a standard or sport bike, get a lot more than that over to the inside (looking at pictures helps right about now).
3. Hold the bike upright by pushing on the outside grip. So if you’re going to go right, your body is off to the right side and you’re now pushing on the left grip.
4. Find your turn point. Most riders don’t do this. They just sort of go around the corner. Instead, you want to pick a place to turn in and wait for it.
5. Look through the turn. This is MSF 101. While doing that, definitely scan your line to make sure you’re not missing anything.
6. Relax the outside grip. I think about “releasing” the outside grip. The feeling is that of the bike dropping into the turn. The first time this happens, it can feel pretty weird. The last thing you want to do right about now is chop the throttle. Maintain some forward thrust please,
7. Push the inside grip. At this point, if you have your weight to the inside, the bike will be heading off in a whole new direction. Now you can see why you want to find and wait for your turn in point. If you need more turning, this is when you add some counter steer. Gently. Sometimes this feels to me like pulling the bike down to me.
8. Roll on the throttle. Roll means be smooth with it. Your bike is still leaned over so you’re splitting traction between turning and going.
9. Push the outside grip. This will pick the bike back up. Keep rolling on the throttle as you do.
10. Move back to neutral. That’s you and your body back in the center of the bike."

PadreScout fucked around with this message at 02:26 on Dec 21, 2013

PadreScout
Mar 14, 2008

Skreemer posted:

"Why We Ride", yet another documentary to try and explain the wonders of being on a motorcycle, or some other bullshit, l

I watched the preview, looks like over dramatized bullshit " wah wah wah freedom!" loving freedom, I've been riding over ten years, over mountains, through deserts and I still have no loving idea what they're talking about.

Maybe I should make a documentary about riding. It will be 10 seconds long. "Why we ride? Riding a motorcycle is more fun than driving a car" ::roll credits::

PadreScout
Mar 14, 2008

Ghost Cactus posted:

Hello Dallas goons! I just moved to Waco, and I'm looking for a reliable shop that won't charge me extra for being a girl. Anyone in the area have any recommendations? The bike is a 2005 Honda CBR F4i that I couldn't bear to part with for the move.

What shop charges more if you're female?

PadreScout
Mar 14, 2008
AWWW BUSTED!

Yeah, it's a Roof. I need a more conventional lid, I'm fairly certain I'm the only person the DFW that runs that Frog lid.
...At least I wasn't speeding.

PadreScout
Mar 14, 2008
Do I hear a goon ride being assembled? I'm amiable to the idea if y'all are looking for more. Though you gotta go slow, my poor little scooter isn't the fastest thing in the world with my fat rear end perched on it.

PadreScout
Mar 14, 2008
Where is this ride gathering at? Only pub I know is The Prince Edward, fine old pub; and a bit of a trot for my little motorcycle.

PadreScout
Mar 14, 2008
Woohoo! 11 am I'll see you guys at The Pub.

PadreScout
Mar 14, 2008
And lost as gently caress.I spent an hour trying to find historic downtown McKinney and I am convinced it doesn't exist. I went back home. Hopefully you guys have a good ride! Rubber side down, gents.

PadreScout
Mar 14, 2008

kuffs posted:

There's a bunch of construction on 5 and the sign for Virginia is missing :(

I didn't realize it was so bad when I suggested it.

I think 5 is the road I tried to take after I missed the exit on 75. There is literally a huge pit, like with "detour!" and poo poo signs all over it like a cartoon.

PadreScout
Mar 14, 2008
I want to try and get my exhaust Saturday and I'm up for a ride Sunday- that doesn't begin in loving historic downtown McKinney, which may or may not exist.

PadreScout
Mar 14, 2008

Alceste posted:

If you miss Virginia (which is easy if you're coming north on 75) the next easiest thing to do might be to exit 380 / University, go east, and loop back around. You can hang a right on McDonald St. (aka State Highway 5) and follow it south to Virginia, turn right again, and the Pub is five blocks ahead on the right.

You all may already know this but the Pub has an older sister in downtown Plano called the Fillmore, which is where I hung out a lot before we moved to McK. Also a cool place--not as roomy but I like it a little better.

The brake pads and lines went on with no issues yesterday, and as long as I'm a little heavier with my right foot I can still stop okay. I've got a fresh oil change and chain lube too, so unless the weather is really bad or there's some family emergency, I'm riding this Sunday.

I took Ray whatsit Tollway to 5, then got lost, spent about 25 minutes working back to 75, then 75 .. and got lost again. Then ...... some street with a shell station on the corner. It was kind of pathetic. I'll figure it out eventually.

PadreScout
Mar 14, 2008

Alceste posted:

I rode around McK this afternoon to bed in the new pads a bit more and it sure was nice out--drat near perfect. Tomorrow should be as good or better, and the brakes feel very decent already, so I'll see you at the Pub. I assume I just need to look for people in riding gear or a table with helmets on it or something.

Fat guy with a British bike would be me. It will be parked at the table with me.

PadreScout
Mar 14, 2008
I have to go into work today. Security system failed, so good chance I won't be done in time to ride. :/

Going to be a bad Sunday.

PadreScout
Mar 14, 2008

Skreemer posted:

So how bad was is Padre Scout?

The ride went rather well. No one crashed, everyone looked good and I believe a fun time was had by all.

Can't wait to see some pics and footage Kuffs.

It was a hoot. Apparently they ran a fire drill and that shorted our some .. sub control panel. This caused all our doors to be permanently open. I got to go in, figure this out, then work with the vendor to fix some hardware. So much better than going riding :/

PadreScout
Mar 14, 2008
Well. I haven't ridden the Striple in a few weeks and the battery went dead. I thought "That's odd. I could leave the BMW like 3 months without the battery going flat." Pulled it out to put it on the tender and top it off, then the weight of the situation hit me. The Triumph battery is loving TINY. Like... 2 6 volt lantern batteries small. I'd say it's 1/3 the size of my BMW's battery.

This does adequately explain why it went flat so quickly.

That said, fuckers on the tneder, it'll be nice and charged for riding tomorrow! I'm going to go by Frisco and get the plates for my new meatball machine I replaced my Miata with and then maybe do motoliberty and the BMW dealer... and possibly run out to Waco, rumor has it my old man is out that way riding, see if I can't meet up with him.

Anyone have big plans for the nice weekend?

PadreScout
Mar 14, 2008

kuffs posted:

So, I was thinking I might do some exploring of Dallas tomorrow. Maybe starting with the crazy-rear end mansions around DNT and Northwest Highway? Possibly including a brief trip to Henderson/Knox for lunch? Maybe some White Rock Lake? I'm a transplant that's only been here nearly 3 years and I pretty much only hang out up in the northeastern parts. Padre, I hear you're somewhere at 635 and DNT?

Yeah! I live right in the 365/DNT area. I'm up for riding. My awesome plans just got torpedoed by a user in Estonia's machine going all fraggo. So instead of going out this morning I'm heading to the office to get him a replacement spun up and configured. Gotta have it in London Monday.

So I checked my battery, it's fully charged and ready to go- I'm about to head over to the office and do that thing. Hopefully I'll be done by 10. Might be more like 11. email me at ***redacted***. I'll give ya my phone number and we can try to meet up once I have this taken care of.

PadreScout fucked around with this message at 00:14 on Feb 16, 2014

PadreScout
Mar 14, 2008
That was loads of fun!!

The part where we got passed by the bicycle was kind of sad. Great food! Great riding! Great company! We should do this again. I'll post up our heroic Whiterock lake picture here shortly.

PadreScout
Mar 14, 2008

Here we go. One pic of a goon ride minus me. I'll try and be in the next one.

PadreScout
Mar 14, 2008
Right outside your house? You live in the Saxbys?

PadreScout
Mar 14, 2008
Hey Gewns! Beware of the 635 access roads east of DNT. I made the mistake of taking my little Volvo down it and now i have loving CONCRETE stuck to the side of my car where, apparently, some rear end in a top hat dispensed concrete dust on the road and the drizzle turned it liquid.

Keep dat poo poo of yo bikez, lads.

PadreScout
Mar 14, 2008
Speaking of races. Any of you guys going to Austin for the race?

PadreScout
Mar 14, 2008
My PR4s come in tomorrow! I'll be on new tires and pipes for the season. March has been a good month.

Weathers starting to pick up again, anyone feeling like a scoot around the town here in the next week or two?

PadreScout
Mar 14, 2008
Probably not going to be this weekend after all. My tires got shipped to the wrong place by FedEx and I have a new lease of machines coming in tomorrow I'll have to sort over the weekend. Next weekend for realsies?

PadreScout
Mar 14, 2008
I'm going to be sitting around the BMW house getting my rear end hosed for a set of tires. loving 150 bucks to mount two tires. loving assholes.

Afterwards I hope to ride a little, but I got to inventory and warm up 35 new machines so I won't get to take a proper ride.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PadreScout
Mar 14, 2008
I'm pretty excited for the races. I'm meeting my father in Lockhart and we are gunna just... watch the hell out of some races.

• Locked thread