Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
James Totes
Feb 17, 2011
That worked.

A lot of the stuff in the OP doesn't seem to work anymore, though. For instance, completing a league doesn't reward you anything. I finished Platinum and got nada for it.

Is there any point to doing each league, then?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paume
Jun 8, 2008

:commissar:

Purple D. Link posted:

It seems so. I tried looking myself and didn't find anything. Could you scan it or take a picture?

How much would that be worth? Millions, right?

Level Seven
Feb 14, 2013

Wubba dubba dubba
that blew.

Megamarm

Paume posted:

That's a fake card. The biggest giveaways are that isn't the font they use, the punctuation has many spacing errors and every instance of Pokιmon is missing the accent. Also, the HP shouldn't have that much space between the numbers. I'd also bet that if you compared the backside of the card with a real one the blue would be a different shade.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

Paume posted:

That is incredibly fake.

Purple D. Link
May 17, 2011

HE IS THE HERO
Has anyone tried the Yveltal and/or Xerneas decks? They seem kind of underwhelming from looking at the deck lists but maybe they're better than they seem? I'm afraid to spend the tokens to find out...

Happy Happyist
Jul 23, 2007

I need your assistance to make the world blue and change it into a happy and peaceful society.
Gentlemen.

I found a few unused booster pack codes whilst cleaning out my desk. I don't play anymore, so enjoy!

KP5-F54J-PWH-99Y
MGV-BKD8-9GN-S3V
JCK-DNN9-3MX-XV6
3DJ-WART-Q7W-AWS

MagusProject
Apr 20, 2008

Happy Happyist posted:

Gentlemen.

I found a few unused booster pack codes whilst cleaning out my desk. I don't play anymore, so enjoy!

3DJ-WART-Q7W-AWS

Claimed this one, thanks a bunch!

Purple D. Link
May 17, 2011

HE IS THE HERO

Happy Happyist posted:

Gentlemen.

JCK-DNN9-3MX-XV6
I used this one, thanks for the Legendary Treasures! :D

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

I can't believe I just found out this existed. I haven't played since Fossil but find myself getting back into the game pretty easily.

Any suggestions on what theme deck to buy first?

Nahxela
Oct 11, 2008

Execution
Solarstrike is pretty sweet. That's the first theme deck I got. Things like Suicune, Blastoise, and Volcarona are all cool.

Keiya
Aug 22, 2009

Come with me if you want to not die.
Aw, no new basic XY decks? (And now TWO of my older decks aren't showing up for trainer challenge. Basic Yellow and Basic Orange)

Purple D. Link
May 17, 2011

HE IS THE HERO
The game updated with the Flashfire expansion. And now there's finally tournaments, though I think they only happen at certain times? It's also been leaked that there's going to be a Fighting-focused expansion called Rising Fist. http://bulbanews.bulbagarden.net/wiki/Early_update_provides_new_Rising_Fist_cards

I can't wait for that, I've wanted to build an Fighting deck. I'm also looking forward to the inevitable ORAS-based sets. :allears: I love that TCGO updates with the real TCG releases.

EDIT: Oh, and a neat thing now is that you only have to be in a Ranked game for 2 minutes to earn tokens, instead of 4 minutes 30 seconds.

MadMadi
Mar 16, 2012

I just recently started playing this and decided to buy a few packs. I opened a Blastoise EX and a Mega Blastoise. Are these ok or am I better off trying to trade them for other cards to put together a constructed deck. What are goons running right now?

Purple D. Link
May 17, 2011

HE IS THE HERO
Not sure how many goons are even playing this anymore, and I'm no expert but uh...M-Blastoise looks pretty sick. :stare: http://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/M-Blastoise-EX_(XY_30)

By the way, tournaments are awesome and I suggest keeping an eye out for when they're running them here http://www.pokemontcg.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?524-Announcements

Yesterday I luck-haxxed my way to first and got 4 Flashfire boosters. :cool: They cost tournament tickets but I think you get 10 to start off with? Not entirely sure.

Purple D. Link fucked around with this message at 21:18 on May 24, 2014

MadMadi
Mar 16, 2012

Purple D. Link posted:

Not sure how many goons are even playing this anymore, and I'm no expert but uh...M-Blastoise looks pretty sick. :stare: http://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/M-Blastoise-EX_(XY_30)

By the way, tournaments are awesome and I suggest keeping an eye out for when they're running them here http://www.pokemontcg.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?524-Announcements

Yesterday I luck-haxxed my way to first and got 4 Flashfire boosters. :cool: They cost tournament tickets but I think you get 10 to start off with? Not entirely sure.

Yea they give you 10 to start. A friend of mine reccomend putting it alongside a dusknoir to move around damage on the bench. I'm going to try and get the pieces I need and throw something together.

hayden.
Sep 11, 2007

here's a goat on a pig or something
There's not a way to limit play mode to the original set of cards is there?

MadMadi
Mar 16, 2012

wisdomHNOX posted:

Yea they give you 10 to start. A friend of mine recommended putting it alongside a dusknoir to move around damage on the bench. I'm going to try and get the pieces I need and throw something together.

So I did this and it turns out it is incredibly fun to play. You really get the most out of your bench damage, and can get around annoying things like Suicune's EX-immunity with a little setup.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Purple D. Link posted:

I haven't played the Pokemon card game in forever, but skipping an attack seems like a pretty big trade off even with 180 damage being dished out next turn.

Jibo
May 22, 2007

Bear Witness
College Slice
I feel like at 220 HP he would stick around long enough to gently caress them up. But I also haven't played in a while.

Speaking of which, how to the tournaments work? Are they Constructed? If so I probably will never try them out.

Purple D. Link
May 17, 2011

HE IS THE HERO

Jibo posted:

I feel like at 220 HP he would stick around long enough to gently caress them up. But I also haven't played in a while.

Speaking of which, how to the tournaments work? Are they Constructed? If so I probably will never try them out.
I imagine he would at 220 HP. I think the only things that would inflict a significant amount of damage would be another EX, maybe a Basic Legendary.

I'm not sure what Constructed means in this context but in the tournaments, you can choose between Unlimited, Modified and Theme. Modified meaning you can only use cards from sets that are allowed, theme being starter decks.

Jibo
May 22, 2007

Bear Witness
College Slice
Err yeah, constructed like "Build your own deck".

Theme sounds cool though, I'll defintely play that in five months when I have access to my computer again.

Purple D. Link
May 17, 2011

HE IS THE HERO

Jibo posted:

Err yeah, constructed like "Build your own deck".

Theme sounds cool though, I'll defintely play that in five months when I have access to my computer again.
Oh, duh, right. Should've figured but I'm dense and just woke up. :downs: And yeah I pretty much just play Theme since I'm poo poo at deck building but I'm hoping to build a decent one soon. Especially after the next set comes out, which will be Fighting-focused, and I've wanted to build a good Fighting deck.

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

I've been out of the loop for very long, but I can't imagine Pokemon drafting or sealed deck (get X boosters, make a deck out of them) being particularly good or fun. Especially since there's a chance someone will get the one bomb and stomp everyone else.

VV: Yeah that sounds pretty amusing.

Serperoth fucked around with this message at 19:59 on May 25, 2014

Jibo
May 22, 2007

Bear Witness
College Slice

Serperoth posted:

I've been out of the loop for very long, but I can't imagine Pokemon drafting or sealed deck (get X boosters, make a deck out of them) being particularly good or fun. Especially since there's a chance someone will get the one bomb and stomp everyone else.

I don't think it would work either but Theme is where everyone uses stock theme decks and I've done enough individual games of that to know it's really fun and worth doing.

ropa
Sep 7, 2006
so what do I do to unlock ranked?

It had a little number 2 next to the lock and now that I've finally finished the city league there's a little number 1

no idea what that means, what do I need to do?

Purple D. Link
May 17, 2011

HE IS THE HERO

ropa posted:

so what do I do to unlock ranked?

It had a little number 2 next to the lock and now that I've finally finished the city league there's a little number 1

no idea what that means, what do I need to do?
Sorry, you mean unlock ranked multiplayer? It almost sounds like multiplayer is locked off until you beat the Trainer Challenge...? If so, huh, it didn't used to be like that.

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

You know they say that all demons are created equal, but you look at me and you look at Pyro Jack and you can see that statement is not true, hee-ho!
I went and trimmed the OP of that large "here's how the UI works" section that was out of date. I haven't played the game in a while so next opportunity I get, I'll fix it up across the board.

Playing the Pokemon TCG had the unintended side effect of getting me back into Magic: The Gathering after a 12 year hiatus. Thanks Pokemon. :negative:

Tricerapowerbottom
Jun 16, 2008

WILL MY PONY RECOGNIZE MY VOICE IN HELL
My son has asked to play the Pokemon card game cause some of the other kids he plays with plays. I've gotten a couple of the theme decks, and with my wife we have been playing together with pretty even decks. I'd like to have two or four, even, basic decks for him to play other small kids with, and then if one of those kids pulls out a powerful deck, I'd like to have a cheap, but powerful deck on hand for my wife (who is extremely competitive and will have no qualms with smashing a ten year old's pride) to "help" my son play.

Looking through, I thought Darkrai EX/ Garbodor looked like a balance of powerful and cheap. Is there another good option that would cost less? I used to play MTG competitively so I don't have a normal person's sense of appropriate amount of money to spend on pieces of cardboard for children, if the matter of my son's playground honor and my wife's shameless bloodlust is concerned.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

Tricerapowerbottom posted:

My son has asked to play the Pokemon card game cause some of the other kids he plays with plays. I've gotten a couple of the theme decks, and with my wife we have been playing together with pretty even decks. I'd like to have two or four, even, basic decks for him to play other small kids with, and then if one of those kids pulls out a powerful deck, I'd like to have a cheap, but powerful deck on hand for my wife (who is extremely competitive and will have no qualms with smashing a ten year old's pride) to "help" my son play.

Looking through, I thought Darkrai EX/ Garbodor looked like a balance of powerful and cheap. Is there another good option that would cost less? I used to play MTG competitively so I don't have a normal person's sense of appropriate amount of money to spend on pieces of cardboard for children, if the matter of my son's playground honor and my wife's shameless bloodlust is concerned.
Your best bet is honestly to pick a single structure deck that looks pretty good, then buy two of it, and mash them together and trim it down into a deck that actually has a decent number of copies of its good cards. The structure decks tend to have a lot of 1-ofs and 2-ofs, which is lethal in a game where you have less than a 2% chance of drawing something you only have 1 of.

SereneCrimson
Oct 10, 2007

I am the morning sun, come to vanquish this horrible night!
Yveltal EX is one of the biggest decks around right now.
Do an Yveltal EX/Garbodor, or Yveltal EX + Darkrai EX.
They're both really great.

If money isn't any issue, a Team Plasma deck is fantastic, but can be costly. It's got something like 12+ EX's in it.

Blastoise/Keldeo continues to be a powerhouse of a deck. The components of which aren't too expensive overall.

You can find deck lists for these kinds of decks if you look at sites like thetopcut.net and sixprizes.com

Honore_De_Balzac
Feb 12, 2013

What are the current standard legal sets, and how does rotation work?

Specifically how does rotation work for online play. Do you lose your ability to play your cards when something rotates?

Purple D. Link
May 17, 2011

HE IS THE HERO

Honore_De_Balzac posted:

What are the current standard legal sets, and how does rotation work?

Specifically how does rotation work for online play. Do you lose your ability to play your cards when something rotates?
The current legal sets (Modified Format) are Next Destinies onward. You can freely use older cards that aren't in the Modified Format in Unlimited Format.

Also, tournaments going on as of this post! Placing well can score you a bunch of boosters. :) I think it ends in an hour or two.

Honore_De_Balzac
Feb 12, 2013

Purple D. Link posted:

The current legal sets (Modified Format) are Next Destinies onward. You can freely use older cards that aren't in the Modified Format in Unlimited Format.

Also, tournaments going on as of this post! Placing well can score you a bunch of boosters. :) I think it ends in an hour or two.

I got in on that with the basic blue deck. Everyone should take advantage of these alpha tournaments. I got 150g and 3-5 packs in 2 hours of play.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
edit: woops wrong thread

Star Man fucked around with this message at 01:54 on Jul 12, 2014

Honore_De_Balzac
Feb 12, 2013

Tournaments Alpha Test July 15th @ 6:00AM PDT
The next alpha test of the Tournaments feature will occur July 15th from 6:00AM PDT to 12:00PM PDT.

Format: Unlimited
Entry Requirement: 4 Tournament Tickets
Rewards:
1st – 4 boosters from the XY expansion
2nd – 2 boosters from the XY expansion
3rd/4th – 1 booster from the XY expansion
1st – 8th – 8 Trainer Tokens
1st – 8th – 4 Tournament Tickets

Format: Standard
Rewards:

Format: Theme Deck
Rewards:

Honore_De_Balzac
Feb 12, 2013

Tournaments Alpha Test July 23rd @ 9:00AM PDT
The next alpha test of the Tournaments feature will occur July 23rd from 9:00AM PDT to 3:00PM PDT.

Format: Unlimited
Rewards:

Format: Standard
Rewards:

Format: Theme Deck
Rewards:

NORTH-HALL
Jan 15, 2005
"Barney comes to play with us whenever we may need him!"
I won some boosters from the trainer mode thing, but none of the cards I got are loading, great. :C

Honore_De_Balzac
Feb 12, 2013

Don't worry you still get them. You can usually zoom in on them and they will load.

Dr. Dos
Aug 5, 2005

YAAAAAAAY!
Finally decided to give this a try when I haven't played since probably 2001. It was pretty cool being able to still just jump right in.

It seems like a lot of times on the first turn though it's not letting me use an attack? Is there some rule change from the old WotC era or is it a weird bug or what?

Edit: Looked it up in a rulebook. Can't attack if you go first! That would also answer "Why would you ever not want to go first when you win the coin toss?"

Dr. Dos fucked around with this message at 00:24 on Jul 28, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

Dr. Dos posted:

Edit: Looked it up in a rulebook. Can't attack if you go first! That would also answer "Why would you ever not want to go first when you win the coin toss?"

I'm going to go out on a limb here and say that getting to go first gives you a chance to set up first.

• Locked thread