Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

Always gotta pay it forward.
Just decided to log on to this since it seems like guys are posting about it more again. Here is where I stand currently: I have 2 stars on gold league and 1 star on platinum league. I have 265 tokens currently (have never used any). Where should I go from here in terms of getting cheap boosters, building my collection, etc? Also add me, same as my SA name. I don't have anything beyond the basic theme decks and Rallying Cry, but I'm down to play if I happen to be on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nahxela
Oct 11, 2008

Execution
If you want to save up for a better theme deck, the Water/Psychic one is a pretty solid starting point. The main issues I have with the deck is that Skrelp is basically useless and I prefer Cheren over gambling on Roller Skates. But beyond that/minor issues, it has some nice things to play with.

Beyond that, grind out stars/deck completions for free boosters and figure out what cards you want from whatever booster sets.

stoutfish
Oct 8, 2012

by zen death robot
A few of the decks have really fantastic trainers, such as dark hammer. I recommend going full sperg and look up card lists on bulbapedia.

cancerianmoth
Oct 18, 2012
just finished getting all the gold stars in the 3 cups. I bought 2 decks with those tokens- the Mystic Typhoon (water/psychic) and Resilient life (Fairy/Psychic). Both are REALLY good theme decks and easy to build on. I changed Mystic Typhoon to this bench hitting deck. Added Noivern, Drifblim, Trevenant and Gourgeist. With some Lysandre's forcing opponents to switch, some decks really can't handle all the incoming dmg. Resilient life became a sort of stall deck, most of the pokemon can heal and reduce dmg. Nixing the psychic half and adding Goodra, Hocus Pinkus Wigglytuff and Carbink really ties everything well together.

I didn't think i was going to like this game much, bc most online card games make it really tedious to get new cards, but with versus, you get a chance at either more tokens (25 + whatever from the match), a random card, or a card pack, I was quickly able to start trading for what I wanted and got a whole bunch of other things.

If you happen across any EX pokemon, check the trading boards to see what they go for. I ended up trading a Lucario Ex for about 10 packs, which gave me a BUNCH of cards to work with.

Raitzeno
Nov 24, 2007

What? It seemed like
a good idea at the time.

Trading boards? I simply downloaded the game and played. I wasn't aware they ever had a forum. (It's ostensibly a kid-friendly game, so I am surprised they even have a forum. People in forums are DICKS. :D)

Nahxela
Oct 11, 2008

Execution

cancerianmoth posted:

I didn't think i was going to like this game much, bc most online card games make it really tedious to get new cards, but with versus, you get a chance at either more tokens (25 + whatever from the match), a random card, or a card pack, I was quickly able to start trading for what I wanted and got a whole bunch of other things.

If you happen across any EX pokemon, check the trading boards to see what they go for. I ended up trading a Lucario Ex for about 10 packs, which gave me a BUNCH of cards to work with.
Yeah, this game has a pretty drat good f2p model that doesn't make it suck for free players, while there are still great benefits for buying booster codes and stuff.

cancerianmoth
Oct 18, 2012

Raitzeno posted:

Trading boards? I simply downloaded the game and played. I wasn't aware they ever had a forum. (It's ostensibly a kid-friendly game, so I am surprised they even have a forum. People in forums are DICKS. :D)

Well, the "trading boards" are in game, so there isn't any interaction with anyone if you don't want it. There is a chat channel where people can openly ask for trades or battles. The cool thing is that the trades automatically weed out the trades you can't fulfill. once you start getting cards you can trade and that people want you'll start to see it populate.

Doomsayer
Sep 2, 2008

I have no idea what I'm doing, but that's never been a problem before.

So I just started trying this out since I played the everliving gently caress out of the TCG when I was a kid (I still have complete Basic, Jungle, Rocket, and like three different Japanese sets in storage somewhere. I was really into it.) and sort of started playing it again when I was running an afterschool care center for elementary-age kids.

Anyway, I just booted it up and am trying to do the trainer challenge, and it says "Select a theme deck to use." but there's nothing there. I even have the psychic and rallying cry decks as per the OP.

Is this a common bug?

inkmoth
Apr 25, 2014

So I've started putting together a deluge blastoise deck to reproduce the hours of fun I had as a kid with rain dance blastoise in the Gameboy games.

Unfortunately, I forgot about squirtle, so I guess I'll wait for random common - for - common trades.

In the meantime I'll keep playing my terribly jank Shaymin-Ex suicide deck.

Final note: the meowstic theme deck is beyond horrible, even if it has supporters you want.

cancerianmoth
Oct 18, 2012

inkmoth posted:

So I've started putting together a deluge blastoise deck to reproduce the hours of fun I had as a kid with rain dance blastoise in the Gameboy games.

Unfortunately, I forgot about squirtle, so I guess I'll wait for random common - for - common trades.

In the meantime I'll keep playing my terribly jank Shaymin-Ex suicide deck.

Final note: the meowstic theme deck is beyond horrible, even if it has supporters you want.

yea but it has some nice base cards to get a bench hitting deck going. I've gotten the full house achievement with that kind of strategy- Noivern/Gourgeist with Meowstic moving dmg around on more important targets.

Pretzel Rod Serling
Aug 6, 2008

I just started playing this and I'm banking mad tokens because people see that they're going to massacre me and concede multiple ranked matches

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
I picked up Dark Hammer, and that is a really drat good deck. I'm looking forward to getting a second copy, so I can smash them together into something with actually-acceptable quantities of its good Pokemon, but still.

Nahxela
Oct 11, 2008

Execution
Random thing for people who've been subscribed to the Pokemon Newsletter for a few months:

I was checking my e-mail, looking for an ORAS demo code, but while looking at my history, I saw a Newsletter that had a Garchomp-EX code in it from June 20th. So if you guys haven't already checked, go and see if you got one (if you qualify). My code still worked~

Baalfrog
Nov 14, 2012

Thats pretty neat.

Nahxela posted:

Random thing for people who've been subscribed to the Pokemon Newsletter for a few months:

I was checking my e-mail, looking for an ORAS demo code, but while looking at my history, I saw a Newsletter that had a Garchomp-EX code in it from June 20th. So if you guys haven't already checked, go and see if you got one (if you qualify). My code still worked~

How do you subscribe to that thing? I have tried looking for it, but no luck :(.

cancerianmoth
Oct 18, 2012

Baalfrog posted:

How do you subscribe to that thing? I have tried looking for it, but no luck :(.

Ok, i had to figure this out, and will share the info. Go to the pokemon.com site and make sure you are logged in. You should see a bar on the left side with your avatar pic and stuff. click on your avatar then view profile (upper right corner). It will take you to a page with a menu and click the first option "Profile Overview.

Also don't spend your tokens on this site, it is connected with your PTCGO account. I got this cool Pinsir jacket but ended up farther from getting my next theme deck. ugh. To make up for it, the prize wheel gave me a gourgeist and gengar box so all is right again.

Pretzel Rod Serling
Aug 6, 2008

But you can also make TCGO tokens playing the dumbass Flash games, albeit prolly less than you'd make playing four minutes of a Versus Ranked game

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

Hey, is this happening to anyone else? Yesterday the game gave me an error after logging in saying it was the wrong version and that I would have to download the installer manually from the web site while not uninstalling the current version. I did just that today but the error keeps popping up regardless. Dunno what's wrong or how to fix it.

No. 1 Callie Fan
Feb 17, 2011

This inkling is your FRIEND
She fights for LOVE
You have to execute the Refresher(.exe) program in the same directory as the game. That'll download a hotfix of some sort so you can play on.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

Well, double clicking on refresher.exe just brings a completely different error. Something about not finding "mono" and "mono: function mono_loader_get_last_error not found
mono: function mono_loader_error_prepare_exception not found". The directory called Refresher Data has a bunch of Mono related files, so it seems to certainly be here.

God knows how they managed to break something that was working perfectly fine two days ago. Guess I'm going to wipe the whole thing and try a reinstall from scratch.

e: yup, nuking everything fixed it.

Saoshyant fucked around with this message at 02:41 on Oct 23, 2014

Rudoku
Jun 15, 2003

Damn I need a drink...

Saoshyant posted:

Well, double clicking on refresher.exe just brings a completely different error. Something about not finding "mono" and "mono: function mono_loader_get_last_error not found
mono: function mono_loader_error_prepare_exception not found". The directory called Refresher Data has a bunch of Mono related files, so it seems to certainly be here.

God knows how they managed to break something that was working perfectly fine two days ago. Guess I'm going to wipe the whole thing and try a reinstall from scratch.

I had that problem too. Just uninstall and reinstall it.

Sephuran
Nov 12, 2011

Woohoo, Phantom Forces has been released, how about them ghosts eh?

LordNat
May 16, 2009
Anyone got a Gengar EX they are willing to trade?
I got the Mega for him just now and really want to use him.

Rudoku
Jun 15, 2003

Damn I need a drink...

LordNat posted:

Anyone got a Gengar EX they are willing to trade?
I got the Mega for him just now and really want to use him.

This game should let you put your rl cards in somehow. I have an actual Gengar Ex, and got crap from the pack code.

Keiya
Aug 22, 2009

Come with me if you want to not die.
Chaotic did that... it also gave each individual copy of a card different stats. That was dumb.

Cernunnos
Sep 2, 2011

ppbbbbttttthhhhh~
Somebody can have this pack code since I've stopped playing this for the most part:

4R6-UQ8A-VCD-3WR

LordNat
May 16, 2009

Cernunnos posted:

Somebody can have this pack code since I've stopped playing this for the most part:

4R6-UQ8A-VCD-3WR

Thanks!
You just gave me my Gengar-EX I was looking for!

inkmoth
Apr 25, 2014

So, does anyone happen to know the name of a decent deckbuilding app for android? I have a good one for MTG, but nothing to work on my decks for this while I travel.

Cernunnos
Sep 2, 2011

ppbbbbttttthhhhh~
:ohdearsass: What's in the Christmas pack? :ohdearsass: I don't really care but you guys have fun.

5F8-ARE5-JPG-9AU

mistaya
Oct 18, 2006

Cat of Wealth and Taste

It's a Bergmite!

Thanks!

I wish we could get the tool remover back.

Firstborn
Oct 14, 2012

i'm the heckin best
yeah
yeah
yeah
frig all the rest
Is it still possible to get the Basic Orange theme deck? That's really the only one I want right now.

inkmoth
Apr 25, 2014

I don't think you can get the basic orange deck, but maybe I'm wrong.

That said, tournaments are up for the weekend. If you like crushing dreams, it's a great time to play. I just put someone out of the tournament with a turn two win, and I'm feeling great.

Edit: took down that first tournament, you get tradable packs, which is nice. You also get an untradable gold trophy / pimp chalice, which is obviously way more important, and definitely has me hooked.

inkmoth fucked around with this message at 09:00 on Jan 10, 2015

Nahxela
Oct 11, 2008

Execution
I think the Basic Orange Deck still exists, but you can't use it for the Trainer Challenge and maybe some other stuff.

Firstborn
Oct 14, 2012

i'm the heckin best
yeah
yeah
yeah
frig all the rest
Basic Orange is like the only deck that I want. What a bummer. If I were to buy an Emerging Powers deck.. say "Power Play", could that code then be used in Versus for the deck?

Basic Orange ended in Aug. 2014, which makes me really bummed. This may not be the place, but if anybody has an old account they don't want...

goodness
Jan 3, 2012

When the light turns green, you go. When the light turns red, you stop. But what do you do when the light turns blue with orange and lavender spots?
Just started playing this today, not too bad so far.

Gravy Train Robber
Sep 15, 2007

by zen death robot
Picked this up to go on a big old nostalgia trip, but for some reason it won't let me use any decks other than the basic ones in Trainer Challenge, not even the Rallying Cry decks I got from the codes in the OP. Is it just restricted to the basic decks?

goodness
Jan 3, 2012

When the light turns green, you go. When the light turns red, you stop. But what do you do when the light turns blue with orange and lavender spots?
Play pvp, pick a different format.

Nahxela
Oct 11, 2008

Execution

Gravy Train Robber posted:

Picked this up to go on a big old nostalgia trip, but for some reason it won't let me use any decks other than the basic ones in Trainer Challenge, not even the Rallying Cry decks I got from the codes in the OP. Is it just restricted to the basic decks?
Yeah, a bunch of decks can't be used for the trainer challenge anymore.

aerion111
Nov 29, 2011

Prodigy of Curiosity.
Master of Jacks.
Apprentice of Masks.
And, when fighting the forces of darkness, always remember: "Armor of Darkness, Weapon of Light"
I'm surprised that no one else seems to have said this, but I couldn't find anything with ctrl-f on the first few or last few pages:
There are more Rallying Cry codes.
I found them when I searched for 'Rallying Cry Pokemon', because I couldn't figure out how to open the pack (I did finally figure out it was just another tab)

The full list is as such:
boundariescrossed
plasmastorm
plasmafreeze
plasmablast
legendarytreasures
flashfire
furiousfists
phantomforces

They have been tested (by me) and do indeed give extra decks.
Why you'd want another four of the same deck escapes me at the moment (maybe some of the cards are random? The cards didn't load fast enough for me, so I didn't check) but hey, it's more cards!

EDIT: Oh, and I got them from here: http://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/Rallying_Cry_%28TCG%29
So, bulbapedia shows its usefulness once again.

Nahxela
Oct 11, 2008

Execution

aerion111 posted:

They have been tested (by me) and do indeed give extra decks.
Why you'd want another four of the same deck escapes me at the moment
That's probably why nobody said anything :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

aerion111
Nov 29, 2011

Prodigy of Curiosity.
Master of Jacks.
Apprentice of Masks.
And, when fighting the forces of darkness, always remember: "Armor of Darkness, Weapon of Light"

Nahxela posted:

That's probably why nobody said anything :v:

Eh, fair enough.
There's still four or five codes in the OP, not sure all of those are needed, so I figured maybe not all codes work for everyone - wouldn't surprise me, codes like these often either get a bit buggy, or depend on where in the world you live.

• Locked thread