Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Youremother
Dec 26, 2011

MORT

stoutfish posted:

Pm me I guess.

Grind in this game is a bit intense but I feel like if I bought a few theme decks I could make some halfway decent stuff.

I would recommend plunking down the cash for a theme deck, just having one will improve your game tenfold. The extra trainer cards are the really important reason for getting one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stoutfish
Oct 8, 2012

by zen death robot

Youremother posted:

I would recommend plunking down the cash for a theme deck, just having one will improve your game tenfold. The extra trainer cards are the really important reason for getting one.

I did get both rallying cry and that other theme deck from codes which gives me quite a bit. Maybe I'm not the proper audience for those free theme decks then :v:

PassingPie
Aug 18, 2013

Mercury Crusader posted:

I don't know if it's just me, but after adding all those new Rallying Cry decks, I noticed that the cards are tradable. Anybody else got that?

For me, redeeming "plasmablast" resulted in untradable copies of the cards in the deck, but "plasmafreeze" gave tradable ones. It's almost certainly a bug.

Elblanco
May 26, 2008
If possible I'd also like to get in on a theme deck or tin. Email me at busterblader96 at gmail dot com

Lottery of Babylon
Apr 25, 2012

STRAIGHT TROPIN'

I'd love a deck or tin too, if you're still offering. acurvewalksintoabargraph@gmail.com

PassingPie posted:

For me, redeeming "plasmablast" resulted in untradable copies of the cards in the deck, but "plasmafreeze" gave tradable ones. It's almost certainly a bug.

I redeemed all four together, and only one was tradeable. Definitely a bug.

I suppose it doesn't make a whole lot of difference - when everyone can instantly get four copies of the entire deck for free, trading isn't as important.

Nahxela
Oct 11, 2008

Execution
Had a fun time earlier where Pokemon Center was in play and I had two Bouffalants stocked with energy out, as well as two switches in my hand. That was pretty fantastic.

Smash Daisaku posted:

Is there a fast way to get tokens? I'm winning games in Theme mode, but I'm only getting like 1-2 tokens per game.
Pretty much just gotta grind it out. Get your daily log in tokens, get your daily multiplayer tokens, do whatever else you can.

Level Seven posted:

I play the card game in real life and have no plans of getting into the online game anytime in the foreseeable future. I have a couple of unused code cards lying around from tins and some theme decks. Didn't see anything relating to this in the rules but is there no problem with me posting codes for more interested goons to use?

VV Yeah, PMs would be the smart idea. Thing is, I don't have them.
I'd also be down for codes if you have any left~ nahxela@gmail.com

dungeon cousin
Nov 26, 2012

woop woop
loop loop

Level Seven posted:

I play the card game in real life and have no plans of getting into the online game anytime in the foreseeable future. I have a couple of unused code cards lying around from tins and some theme decks. Didn't see anything relating to this in the rules but is there no problem with me posting codes for more interested goons to use?

VV Yeah, PMs would be the smart idea. Thing is, I don't have them.

If you have any left: email

dungeon cousin fucked around with this message at 09:11 on Oct 5, 2013

Level Seven
Feb 14, 2013

Wubba dubba dubba
that blew.

Megamarm
Ok, so I sent/sending people who left their e-mails some codes. No guarantees that they'll all work cause I got some through trades with some kids but I'd like to assume they wouldn't be dicks that traded used codes.

Out of code cards for now but whenever I get a stockpile of em in the future I'll mention it here.

dungeon cousin
Nov 26, 2012

woop woop
loop loop

Level Seven posted:

Ok, so I sent/sending people who left their e-mails some codes. No guarantees that they'll all work cause I got some through trades with some kids but I'd like to assume they wouldn't be dicks that traded used codes.

Out of code cards for now but whenever I get a stockpile of em in the future I'll mention it here.

Thanks bro! Really appreciate it!

Volty
Jul 25, 2013
Been playing around with this for the past few days. It's pretty fun! Add me to the goon list I guess. Voltowl.

Edit: Because apparently I can't actually remember things.

Volty fucked around with this message at 12:11 on Oct 5, 2013

Nahxela
Oct 11, 2008

Execution

Level Seven posted:

Got the e-mail you sent, thanks a bunch!

MagusProject
Apr 20, 2008
Well, I guess I'm in. Add me to the Goon list? I'm MagusBlag ingame.

SpeedRazor
Feb 5, 2005
Added everyone in the current goon list. I'm Nester in game.

NeuroticLich
Oct 30, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Started playing on a friend's suggestion, I've had some fun the last few days playing around and making decks, although I do hate having to unlock the theme decks to use the cards. I just want Bianca PTCGO! :argh:

I'm ingame as NeuroticLich.

Arkangelus
Jan 23, 2007
I haven't seen this mentioned but I've seen a lot of people asking about how to get more tokens. It's very important that when you're doing the trainer challenges that you switch the difficulty to expert as soon as you have unlocked decks to do them with. Going from 0 to 15,000 points scored against a trainer netted me 15 tokens per trainer in Platinum League and I think 17 in City League when I did them a few days ago. That's roughly 3 matches on expert difficulty, or one win for each of the basic decks. It still will probably take you 9-12 hours (at 5-10 minutes per match) so there is definitely some grind but better than nothing.

I'm not sure how/or if the new client will change that but just doing that and going through Gold on the easiest before I figured that out got me enough tokens to get a theme deck.
Note: I just tested it on the new client in the Gold League since I hadn't 3 starred any of them yet and it still appears to be true. Also it's getting the 3rd star that gives the most tokens 10-11 I think.

Enough people are asking about this that it might be good to have it in the OP.

KoldPT
Oct 9, 2012

Arkangelus posted:

I haven't seen this mentioned but I've seen a lot of people asking about how to get more tokens. It's very important that when you're doing the trainer challenges that you switch the difficulty to expert as soon as you have unlocked decks to do them with. Going from 0 to 15,000 points scored against a trainer netted me 15 tokens per trainer in Platinum League and I think 17 in City League when I did them a few days ago. That's roughly 3 matches on expert difficulty, or one win for each of the basic decks. It still will probably take you 9-12 hours (at 5-10 minutes per match) so there is definitely some grind but better than nothing.

I'm not sure how/or if the new client will change that but just doing that and going through Gold on the easiest before I figured that out got me enough tokens to get a theme deck.
Note: I just tested it on the new client in the Gold League since I hadn't 3 starred any of them yet and it still appears to be true. Also it's getting the 3rd star that gives the most tokens 10-11 I think.

4 starring everyone is the best tactic. It gives you a ton of tokens and a free booster pack per trainer.

Tezzeract
Dec 25, 2007

Think I took a wrong turn...
Anyone have issues with the game crashing? Just started it today and it's actually a lot of fun (played the GB version in the past).

Cernunnos
Sep 2, 2011

ppbbbbttttthhhhh~
It is a Beta so it does crash every now and again.

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

You know they say that all demons are created equal, but you look at me and you look at Pyro Jack and you can see that statement is not true, hee-ho!

Arkangelus posted:

Added this good post to the OP. Also added a blurb about getting 12 wins with a token-purchased theme deck and one of the free promo decks netting you another booster pack.

KoldPT posted:

4 starring everyone is the best tactic. It gives you a ton of tokens and a free booster pack per trainer.

In addition to this, when I 4-starred everybody in Gold League, it gave me three or four booster packs. I'm sure one of them was for clearing the opponent proper, and the other couple were from league clearing.

Ledgem
Oct 20, 2010
I'm having trouble with the redeemed theme decks in that I can't actually use the orange, normal, or electric ones in the league. Only the 6 basics (3 HG/SS and 3 B/W).

I also have a weird thing where I have a bunch of tradeable cards from boosters, including a foil of the stage 2 dark/dragon pokemon. Not quite sure how it happened but the first 5 or so boosters I opened are unlocked.

Yuwe
Apr 6, 2009

Ledgem posted:

I'm having trouble with the redeemed theme decks in that I can't actually use the orange, normal, or electric ones in the league. Only the 6 basics (3 HG/SS and 3 B/W).

I also have a weird thing where I have a bunch of tradeable cards from boosters, including a foil of the stage 2 dark/dragon pokemon. Not quite sure how it happened but the first 5 or so boosters I opened are unlocked.

You may have an outdated client that doesn't recognize the other theme decks for the league. I had this issue until I reinstalled, then I was able to use them. I had cards from 1 or 2 of my theme decks showing up as tradable too, but I think that fixed as well.

Raitzeno
Nov 24, 2007

What? It seemed like
a good idea at the time.

I think boosters are supposed to be unlocked. All of mine have been.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
Are there any starter decks that include Rare Candies, Professor Junipers, and/or Level Balls? I need some for a deck I wanna build.

Haschel Cedricson
Jan 4, 2006

Brinkmanship

The Leper Colon V posted:

Are there any starter decks that include Rare Candies, Professor Junipers, and/or Level Balls? I need some for a deck I wanna build.

Rallying Cry has some Level Balls.

NeuroticLich
Oct 30, 2012

Grimey Drawer

The Leper Colon V posted:

Basic Red has 2 Junipers and Rallying Cry has 2 Level Balls. If you got a hold of Power Relay when it was the code deck a week ago, each copy came with 2 Junipers.

e: Did some searching, doesn't look like Rare Candy comes in any of the current decks that are available through trainer tokens. Looks like the only way to get it right now is through Plasma Blast packs.

NeuroticLich fucked around with this message at 22:20 on Oct 6, 2013

Ledgem
Oct 20, 2010

Raitzeno posted:

I think boosters are supposed to be unlocked. All of mine have been.

All of mine have been locked aside from 2 among the first bunch I got. I understand why they lock a bunch of them but it makes it rather annoying to build any semblance of a deck while unable to trade.

I've managed to play with the other theme decks after an update today though so that one is solved. No idea what's up with the random unlocked packs though.

Skeletome
Feb 4, 2011

Tell them about the tournament!

I'm really enjoying this. Pretty nostalgic! Little bit off my first deck from tokens, any anyone particularly recommends? In game as BigJuice.

Cernunnos
Sep 2, 2011

ppbbbbttttthhhhh~
You're better off just looking over the Deck lists on Bulbapedia to make your choice. It really all depends on what you want to do or if you're after (a) specific card(s).

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
Right now, I'm trying to make a TP Espeon/TP Metagross/TP Deoxys deck, but I'm having trouble making it work properly.

Old Doggy Bastard
Dec 18, 2008

Slowman_Capoke is now going to rock the Goon world by building the incredibly Slowpoke based deck I am kind of sort of getting together in real life because I don't know the game but my friend claims it is really fun, competitive, and player friendly. He used to be into magic and he is preaching how great this game is because they aim to make it possible for people to play on a competitive level without having to drop a few hundred bucks on super rare cards or by power gaming against the kids at the local shop to get prize support*.

*He did not put this as well as my other friend did and I used to play Mage Knight and have flashbacks of going to the shop as a young kid and being slaughtered by two brothers who were top ten in the USA who never bothered to teach me why I was losing- it was not till Heroclix that I met cool people who taught me how to play but still explained to me how I'm too poor for this game unless I'm going to play for fun with stupid teams.

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

You know they say that all demons are created equal, but you look at me and you look at Pyro Jack and you can see that statement is not true, hee-ho!
I used to play Magic the Gathering competitively back from around '98 to '02, and I honestly have a hard time trying to play MTG casually (asides from Commander/EDH). On the other hand, I can play Pokémon casually, and from everything I've seen, the barrier to enter competitive play isn't as rough as it is with MTG. There are some deck-building philosophies that carry over between the two games, but there are a lot of nuances in Pokémon that I can't seem to understand at a casual glance like I can with MTG.

Raitzeno posted:

I still make casual MTG decks all the time when a compelling new card or three are revealed. I never had much of a problem with it, though they won't be winning me any tournaments. Maybe you were playing with the wrong crowd?

The comic shop that I used to frequent (along with my brother and best friend) was hyper-competitive to a fault. It was fun and all, but we got caught up in that highly competitive environment to the point where I just can't look at MTG cards without being extremely critical about them and analyzing their viability, from mana cost to straight compare-and-contrast to similar cards. Even EDH has me kind of going over cards with a fine-tooth comb even though I really just want to make a dumb Goblin deck or whatever. I think you have a point about the crowd I was with, and how it affected my opinion on the game as a whole. I still like MTG, but I have a really hard time playing any sort of constructed format, so I mostly play limited, if at all.

Also, a lot of my knowledge on MTG constructed play is based on how things worked in the '90s, so I don't know if they really apply these days.

Mercury Crusader fucked around with this message at 03:48 on Oct 7, 2013

Raitzeno
Nov 24, 2007

What? It seemed like
a good idea at the time.

I still make casual MTG decks all the time when a compelling new card or three are revealed. I never had much of a problem with it, though they won't be winning me any tournaments. Maybe you were playing with the wrong crowd?

In any case, yeah the deckbuilding philosophy is weird coming from MtG because several core game mechanics are radically different. There's no life points, all your damage comes from creatures, a player can only lose 6 creatures (and this is the main win condition), there's no creature tokens, very few noncreature permanents (and only one at a time, for things like Stadiums, and only one per creature, for Tools)...

It seems to me there's a lot less potential for strange combos, at least on the level of the more complex MtG decks, and the importance of each individual creature is through the roof in comparison.

Zonekeeper
Oct 27, 2007

Coming from MTG, it's weird to see some of these cards. "Draw 3 cards, no strings attached, any time you want" is one of the nine most powerful cards ever printed, is worth hundreds for a single copy, and is restricted to one per deck in the only format that allows it. Meanwhile, Cheren is a common card that comes packed in multiples in starter decks and it ain't no thang. (Same as his predecessor Bill.)

Incoming :spergin:

It's true that some concepts carry over, but due to the way resources work very little is the same.
- Having to commit resources (energy, evolutions, items) to single monsters goes against a lot of Magic Strategy. (In magic, playing things that attach themselves to creatures is highly discouraged due to the threat of blowouts - losing multiple cards to a single effect.)
- Card advantage is thrown around like candy, hand size is infinite, and direct removal is nonexistant. Additionally, only one of your monsters are 'in danger' at a given time which limits collateral damage. (Barring effects that damage pokemon on the bench.) Oh, and you can only have 6 out at a time, so don't toss everything out without thinking or you'll be sitting there with 2-3 useless Meowths when you really need to evolve a Jigglypuff that's stuck in your hand to get your Round count up. (Ask me how I know about this...)
- Drawing a fuckload of cards isn't immediately useful like it is in Magic - Only one energy card can get played per turn, you can only have 6 pokemon out at a given time, evolutions can't be chained in a single turn, and supporters can only be played once per turn. You can use as many Town Maps as you want, though! :v:
- It's very difficult to move energy around so it takes a lot more finesse to know where an energy card needs to go at a given time.

Raitzeno
Nov 24, 2007

What? It seemed like
a good idea at the time.

Amusingly the energy location stuff is really, really easy in the Rallying Cry deck. I've yet to have a problem with it outside of occasionally forgetting that I haven't finished putting energy on my lead yet...

Keiya
Aug 22, 2009

Come with me if you want to not die.
I think the reason Pokemon's draw power is through the roof compared to Magic is the energy system. You have to commit resources to specific mons, which means you can't just get to 6 or 8 and stop playing lands and be fine. Further, in Magic a card that can 2-for-1 is really good. In Pokemon, it's a basic pokemon with an attack.

Zonekeeper
Oct 27, 2007

Raitzeno posted:

Amusingly the energy location stuff is really, really easy in the Rallying Cry deck. I've yet to have a problem with it outside of occasionally forgetting that I haven't finished putting energy on my lead yet...

Rallying Cry is one of my favorites. The only bad part is that I can't take out those goddamned useless cards in the leagues to make pack farming go by faster. gently caress you, Meowth. :argh: I want my Bouffalants!

BougieBitch
Oct 2, 2013

Basic as hell
Even if card advantage is less valuable, things that draw a lot of cards without drawbacks are still clearly really good. Even if you can only play one energy per turn, you still WANT to always have spare energy. Plus, since there are so many cards that you can't play without other cards (evolutions), and so many cards that suck until you get other cards (unevolved pokemon), you will frequently find yourself without a card that you really need.

My favorite card so far is Milotic. I wish I had 4 of them. Its 1 energy attack is computer search x3, and I really shouldn't need to explain why that is utterly bonkers. On top of that, it has a pretty reasonable attack form at 3 energy (60 damage plus sleep), more than enough hp, and a low retreat cost. Really, the only drawback is that the high hp and low retreat cost make it hard to find with other search cards (heavy ball, level ball).

BTW, I'm Neglect on there.

Raitzeno
Nov 24, 2007

What? It seemed like
a good idea at the time.

Elm's Training Method works on it, though.

BougieBitch
Oct 2, 2013

Basic as hell

Raitzeno posted:

Elm's Training Method works on it, though.

Does that come in any of the starter decks, or am I basically doomed to never see it except on the other side of the field?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raitzeno
Nov 24, 2007

What? It seemed like
a good idea at the time.

I think there's 2 in one of the Basic <color> decks. I forget which, but I know I have a couple.

• Locked thread