Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

Mercury Crusader posted:

Just remember, if you don't like the grind, and want to have a bunch of tradable cards at your disposal, all you gotta do is buy real life Pokémon TCG stuff, as every real-life booster pack and theme deck you buy contains redemption codes for digital copies! That's how they get you. This is their F2P model. :getin:
Or, have an addiction already, put in codes because why not, realize you have a giant stock of cards to pick from.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Man, TCG Ditto was Impostor Ditto before Impostor Ditto was.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Mercury Crusader posted:

I bought a lot of the Team Rocket set, so much in fact that I have more from that set than any other (Base Set is a close second, Jungle and Fossil are tied for third). Oddly enough, I could never get a holofoil Dark Charizard. I still have my old card binder, and it is the only missing part of the entire set. I really should just order one and call it done. Or maybe four, I think I have enough cards to finish four complete sets of Team Rocket.

Anybody remember the promo card Team Rocket's Meowth from back in 2000? It wasn't that good, and nobody I knew wanted them. Not even the guy running the comic book shop that I used to frequent that would only occasionally do Pokemon-related stuff (they mostly did Magic: The Gathering tournaments, which I also used to play a lot). Rather than throw them out, I bought his stock of them for $5.

All 75 of them. :getin:

They're still worthless.
You know, combine that with the Victini that lets you reflip coins, you might just have an Unlimited deck on your hands.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Mercury Crusader posted:

At one point, I had a deck that involved those, along with Dark Weezing and the previously mentioned Sneasel in a really dumb "fill the bench and suicide out all the damage" deck. I would often use Challenge to try and fill the bench as fast as possible, but people got wise to that tactic and would always turn it down, so I would have to just Oak them out as quickly as possible.
Even if they turn it down, it's still a loving Bill. Jesus.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

My client won't update, so I can't play. This is butts.

Assuming I get it working, I'm JackOfSparks.

girl dick energy fucked around with this message at 20:03 on Oct 1, 2013

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

So, got mine working. Forgot I'd redeemed the two starter decks I bought to play with the SO.

Hydreigon is a loving monster, and I love him so. :getin:

Edit Golurk ain't no slacker, either.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Cernunnos posted:

I pulled this and the Zweilous from 1 of my 5 free packs and now all I need is a few Deino of various flavors and maybe some Psychics and I'm making a Dark/Psychic deck.
If you can get the starter deck that he comes in, he comes with Golurk and Houndoom, who are really good for what they are.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Raitzeno posted:

So those 4 codes that used to give the Power Relay deck now give the Rallying Cry deck instead. Except that anyone who redeemed all 4 for Power Relay decks can now redeem all four AGAIN for four Rallying Cry decks. Awesome.
That's what I get for procrastinating. :bang:

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Keiya posted:

It looks like they removed the unlocking thing for the decks other than Basic Red/Green/Blue and Basic Red/Green/Blue BW. Possibly due to the doubling thing. Shame.
Someone said that literally three posts ago. :allears:

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Raitzeno posted:

Agreed. I used it in Trainer Challenge enough to get a booster, then stripped a bunch of the crap out for an Unlimited deck.
That's dangerous waters, friend.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Are there any starter decks that include Rare Candies, Professor Junipers, and/or Level Balls? I need some for a deck I wanna build.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Right now, I'm trying to make a TP Espeon/TP Metagross/TP Deoxys deck, but I'm having trouble making it work properly.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

The only dragons I really like are
A) Druddigon, because it's a nice, solid body that can actually keep itself alive until it tears poo poo up with its big attack
B) Consume Hydreigon, for similar reasons.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

I just wanna go ahead and say that Deoxys-EX and Espeon make a loving amazing deck together.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Generally, if you want to run at least one of something, it's worth running 2.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

I feel like, since with Pokemon, you don't have a big investment needed to be competitive, the primary motivation to have a healthy limited environment (sealed play for new players) is hampered. So, they really have no motivation to make the game work in Limited.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Chatot is actually really good for stalling. Confusion isn't as over-powered as it used to be, but it's still quite good.

Meowth is garbage, though.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

NeuroticLich posted:

I can see where confusion would be useful, but Chatot doesn't seem to offer much aside from that. I think I'd rather have a deck with cards that help it get set up quickly (Stuff like Juniper, Khangaskhan or Heavy Ball) than just stall with confusion.
Oh, yeah, it's garbage in constructed, but I'm just saying, it's not a completely blank card.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

I think you mean "before the AI decks itself".

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Sharkopath posted:

This is a really minor thing, but I'm kinda disappointed Nintendo didn't dig deep and pull up some arranged themes from the old pokemon trading card video game.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_jFzDqmt5YY
The Club Master theme was one of the better pieces of music in any of the pokemon games. Would love to be playing some online battles to that. I've been having a lot of luck with the starter fire deck, but I've only been doing the theme deck matches. I'm afraid of getting totally stomped if I switch it to unlimited.
If I've learned anything, it's never ever underestimate a torkoal.
Maybe they could bring back the AI from the GB game, too.

That's not a joke, it's actually better than what they have now. (I'd also love to face Ronald, now an adult, and just as much of a self-absorbed dickhole.)

girl dick energy fucked around with this message at 05:36 on Oct 9, 2013

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Youremother posted:

If Imakuni? comes back so must his card :colbert:
Aren't there a few Pokemon who actually benefit from being confused now?

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Dragon Call Gabite is almost essential for a good Garchomp deck. (And Mach Cut Garchomp is usually the best meta-call)

girl dick energy fucked around with this message at 17:34 on Oct 9, 2013

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Purple D. Link posted:

This is normal. Unfortunately you'll eventually not get any tokens from the Trainer Challenge. :( I believe an opponent stops giving tokens once that meter is maxed out but I could be wrong. There's always PvP, at least.
It does take a while, since there are 13 trainers, in three different leagues (Gold/Platinum/City). And even if you aren't happy with your cards, you will never run out of people to play online in the Theme format with.

girl dick energy fucked around with this message at 17:40 on Oct 9, 2013

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Je-SUS.

I just pulled a Kyruem-EX, and a G-Scope. From the same 12-wins pack.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

vulturesrow posted:

Just a general strategy question: Is there any sort of rule of thumb on when you should retreat a pokemon vice just letting it die? It seems easy enough to puzzle out depending on the situation but I feel like there must be some subtlety to that scenario that I'm not seeing.
If your Pokemon's final attack is worth the prize you'll lose for using it. Otherwise, retreat if you can. You're going to lose the energy either way, and you're denying your opponent a prize.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Heroic Yoshimitsu posted:

In the very first booster pack I opened, I got Dialga-EX, so that was cool. Although I don't know if it's really any good.
He's not the best EX ever. On one hand, you didn't get the best. On the other hand, it does mean that if you want to use multiple, it should be easy to get a hold of another one or two.

(The first attack is why you're using him, mill is garbage.)

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Lorak posted:

If you transport yourself to a time before Next Destinies, Durant (NV) would like to have a word with you.
That was a fun time. When one of the top tier decks in the format could be bought for $50. (Or much less, if you already had your usual suite of Supporters ready.)

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

As a rule of thumb, start 20/20/20, then replace as many of those other cards with trainers as you can/feel comfortable doing.

Ideally, 30-35 Trainers makes a good deck. More if your deck operates with fewer Pokemon.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Agoat posted:

That's a lot of Trainers. I know Cheren and Prof. Juniper are really good, but what are some others to look out for? What are deck limits for each kind of trainer?
Cheren's actually easily replaced by others.

Cilan (for energy), Skyla (for Trainers), N (for a hand refresh that's great on the comeback), Bianca (for a hand refresh that doesn't require you to drop one or two), Ghetsis is good for a couple... And that's just Supporters.

Running lots of Pokemon with high retreat costs? 4 Heavy Balls. Running lots of lowbies? 4 Level Balls. Running a variety, and don't mind a bit of discard? Lots of Ultra Balls. Or Great Balls.

And then you have the utilities like Pokemon Catcher, Switch, your Stadium, Pokemon Tools...

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Here, I just threw something together, might be useful for you folks.

Trainer MVPs

Not sure what kinds of trainers to add to your deck? Here's a list to get you started.

All
Unless you have a specific reason not to run this card, run it.
N [3]: Less severe than Juniper. Good for comebacks, and denying your opponent cards to stop them.
Pokemon Catcher [4]: Pull out a vulnerable Pokemon, either to kill it, or to make your opponent waste valuable resources getting it back. This card is why you always run Switch.
Professor Juniper [3]: Don't hold to one or two cards on a what-if. If you can't find an immediate use for something, you should probably discard it.
Switch [2-3]: Note that moving a Pokemon to the Bench also removes all conditions!

Most
Not for every deck, but worth considering whether you should run it or not.
Cilan [3]: Does your deck include two types of basic energy? USE HIM.
Colress [3]: Is your bench usually full? Run this guy, as a better N.
Skyla [3]: Are there trainers you're stuck without? She'll find them for you.
Super Rod [1-2]: Get back the energies/Pokemon you've lost. Run two if you have fewer energies, or more crucial Pokemon.
Tool Scrapper [2+]: Tired of all those Pokemon Tools causing you problems?

A Stadium Card that suits your deck [3]: Common ones include Pokemon Center, Viribank City Gym, Frozen City, or type-specific ones (like Aspertia).

Some
Bianca [2-3]: Do you empty your hand quickly, but need to hold onto some things sometimes? Use with Juniper, not instead of.
Cheren [?]: A budget replacement for other Supporters that you don't have yet.
Energy Retrieval [2-3]: If you have a lot of abilities that discard basic energy. (Mostly seen in Fire decks)
Enhanced Hammer [2-3]: Do you like Crushing Hammer? Run this instead. Most decks run at least a few Special Energy.
Escape Rope [3]: Some people swear by it as a Switch replacement.
Eviolite [3]: If your strategy is based on Basics or EXs.
EXP. Share [3]: Do you absolutely NEED a Tool for your deck, or do you need to keep momentum when one of your guys bites it?
Float Stone [2]: Lets you pull back a Pokemon from Pokemon Catcher repeatedly, but not if the Pokemon can't retreat on its own.
Hypnotoxic Laser [4]: If you have a way to exploit poison and/or sleep (Viribank Gym etc.), run 4. Otherwise, it's a gimmick that won't be nearly as useful as you think.
Rocky Helmet [3]: Got guys who can take a beating?
Silver Mirror [2]: Not running any other tools, but afraid of Team Plasma pokemon?
Town Map [1-2]: If there are one or two cards that you absolutely need to be able to get. Run with Skyla only.

Conditional
Every deck that meets its conditions should use it. And no others.
Computer Search [1]: Did you luck into one, or do you hate your money enough to get one? Use it.
Colress Machine [4]: Currently the only way to search for Team Plasma Energy.
* Ball [3-4]: Depending on your situation.
-Great Ball: None of the balls below appeal to you.
-Heavy Ball: Lots of Stage 2s/EXs/Guys with high retreat costs
-Level Ball: Lots of lower-level or lower-HP guys.
-Ultra Ball: Your Pokemon are varied enough that one type of ball doesn't cut it, and you usually have cards in your hand to spare.
-Team Plasma Ball: Take a guess.
Rare Candy [3] (Stage 2s!)

Traps
Cards that are rarely worth it.
Giant's Cape - 20 HP isn't worth a card-slot. If you need a general-use Tool, use Rocky Helmet or EXP. Share instead.
Potion - Was buffed from only healing 20 HP, and still isn't worth it. If you really need the no-questions-asked healing, use Pokemon Center instead.
Cards that rely on a coin flip - Find a similar effect that's for certain.

Addendum: A Guide to Quantities
4: "I want to see this in my opening hand, and as often as possible."
3: "I want to see this at least once every game, and often twice."
2: "I want to see this every so often." OR "I want to see this, and can search for it."
1: "This is my ACE SPEC."

And for energy quantities...
6-8: I want 1-2 of these in my opening hand, and to get about one more with every Juniper.
9-12: I want 2-3 of these in my opening hand, and to get (on average) one per turn.
13-16: My deck needs lots of energies.
17+: I am running a Deluge/Rain Dance deck, or a Shear Gigalith gimmick deck.
56+: I am running a Base Set Mewtwo deck.

girl dick energy fucked around with this message at 14:34 on Oct 10, 2013

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

(Potion's a bad card, too. :ssh:)

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Lorak posted:

I'd argue three, because your odds of drawing a Plasma Energy before you get all four Colress Machines used are pretty high.
Addendum: A Guide to Quantities
4: "I want to see this in my opening hand, and as often as possible."
3: "I want to see this at least once every game, and often twice."
2: "I want to see this every so often." OR "I want to see this, and can search for it."
1: "This is my ACE SPEC."

And for energy quantities...
6-8: I want 1-2 of these in my opening hand, and to get about one more with every Juniper.
9-12: I want 2-3 of these in my opening hand, and to get (on average) one per turn.
13-16: My deck needs lots of energies.
17+: I am running a Deluge/Rain Dance deck, or a Shear Gigalith gimmick deck.
56+: I am running a Base Set Mewtwo deck.

girl dick energy fucked around with this message at 05:29 on Oct 10, 2013

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

I'm useful! :toot:

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Frocobo posted:

I have to disagree about 2-3 Super Rods per deck. You should never use more than one. It's best to thin your total number of evolution lines to as few a possible to help consistency, and if you're running a 3-3 line of your main attacker, it's highly, HIGHLY unlikely you'll need to use it 5+ times. Not to mention the stuff recovered with Super Rod goes straight into your deck, where you're not even guaranteed to see it again in the same game unless you use a search card (which are reduced in numbers to make room for the extra 2 rods).
These are very good points.

Mercury, could you change Super Rod's quantity in the OP to 1-2? (2 just because not everyone has a playset of Skyla, and running 1 of something without a tutor is a waste of a card slot.)

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Raitzeno posted:

Yeah, I've been doing it all with Rallying Cry; it's the most predictable/consistent of the early theme decks in my experience.
I actually prefer Basic Orange, not for consistency, but for style. Yeah, you can take someone out with a 200-damage Round from an Exploud (and I love Exploud), but between Conkeldurr and Gigalith and, hell, even Throh and Mienshao, there isn't a card in that deck I don't like.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Maybe they noticed the bugs people were talking about.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Hot Pink Justice posted:

Having a blast with this so far. The most I ever played of the TCG previously was when the old Game Boy game released, so this is pretty cool.
I never realized how many Goons loved that game until this thread. Thought I was the only one. :ohdear:

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

No Bouffalant?

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Network42 posted:

Anyone more familiar with the game have opinions on theme decks? I know none of them are going to be tournament killers, but are there some that are better than others?

If I was getting two paper decks to play against each other, and have online would there be recommendations?
Solar Strike includes a Blastoise, who is one of the best cards in the game right now, and I'm personally a huge fan of Volcarona.

If you can still find it, DragonSnarl is all kinds of awesome. Mind Wipe will be another interesting one, if you like the Pokemon included.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Just won my first Modified multiplayer game with a Hydreigon/Houndoom/Bouffalant deck. :toot:

Whoever it was that suggested Boufallant as an anti-EX tech, thank you so much.

Also, whoever pointed out that Rallying Cry is full of Double-Colorless Energies. Those cards were key in my AFRO BREAK comeback.

• Locked thread