Search Amazon.com:
Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us $3,400 per month for bandwidth bills alone, and since we don't believe in shoving popup ads to our registered users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
«3 »
dazat
Nov 23, 2007

Media in general moves fast, and that seems to go double for animation. Keeping up with the latest shows is nice, but there's also a great breadth of work that is just as entertaining now as it was upon release in the 70s, 80s or 90s and is well worth watching today. So I thought it might be nice to have a central thread here in ADTRW that focuses specifically on the discussion of such titles, the anime of yesteryear; whether you're an experienced fan revisiting old favorites or a new one taking in the classics for the first time, feel free to discuss your impressions and make recommendations here!

Don't feel limited in talking about just the works themselves, you can also discuss favorite directors, voice talent, animators, etc. You don't have to stick with just the classics either, or even what's objectively good… trashy OVAs have their place here as well (so yeah, gush over MD Geist as much as you like). And while in general I'd like it if we could stick to the retro theme, if you have a more recent title you felt went criminally overlooked you can bring that up, too.

Re: file-sharing, there's a lot of old anime that never saw release here getting fan-subbed now so don't hesitate to share links to that. Stuff that's long been out of print should be okay to post as well, although you might want to exercise some caution. Anything that is easily available and can be legally purchased should be, though.

Let me know if there's anything more I can add to this post. Otherwise let's get this nostalgia train started!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dazat
Nov 23, 2007

I'll kicks things off by recommending the series I've watched most recently: Kinnikuman!

Kinnikuman was extremely popular in the 80s as one of Shonen Jump's biggest properties. You may have had a brush with it via the M.U.S.C.L.E. line of toys as a kid, or more recently through its sequel Kinnikuman Nisei which was dubbed in English and broadcast by 4Kids under the title Ultimate Muscle.

The show stars the titular Kinnikuman (played by Kamiya Akira, who is also known for voicing Kenshiro if you want to marvel at his range), a lazy slob of a hero who'd rather spend his days gorging on beef bowls than actually fighting villains. Everything changes for him, however, when he learns of his true heritage as prince of the planet Kinniku. Now he must prove his worth in the ring by battling numerous super-powered and completely bizarre opponents with the help of his friend and trainer, Meat.

The focus of Kinnikuman is on its pro-wrestling battles, and fans of the sport will appreciate the numerous references and homages. I usually dislike the typical shonen manga battle tournament set-up as it bores me to tears, yet the fights in Kinnikuman never fail to entertain me. That's helped, of course, by the wacky tone and truly ridiculous character designs, some of which have to be seen to be believed (Urinalman takes the cake for me in that he's not just a joke character; the hero actually fights him!). The tone of the show is all over the place; one minute they're making fart jokes, then someone is being brutally murdered in the ring by a villainous heel, only for said heel to be turned good through the power of hot-blooded friendship and manly tears, and then we're back to the fart jokes again. Kinnikuman is just a lot of fun, and still works as a parody of its genre even today… proving how little has changed in the last twenty-odd years.

50 episodes have been subbed so far courtesy of Hokuto no Gun Subs which you can download via their website. They're also subbing the spin-off series, Tatakae! Ramenman, which focuses on the wildly popular side-character Ramenman, a hilariously offensive racial caricature who somehow manages to still be totally awesome. It's much more of a straight-forward action/adventure story, but I also really recommend it.

dazat fucked around with this message at Sep 30, 2013 around 12:16

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

The Pink Warrior should just shut up!

Some of my favorite anime were just random VHS tapes I picked up at the library years ago and decided to watch on a whim, while browsing the shelves. Among them is a short 4-episode OVA called "Phantom Quest Corp" (Yugen Kaisha)

It's about a woman named Ayaka Kisaragi, who hunts ghosts and monsters for a living at her company, Phantom Quest Corp. She's helped by her colorful coworkers, which include a fortune teller, a psychic girl who can create flames, a Buddhist monk specializing in exorcisms, and a tiny elementary school boy who is a very competent secretary. She wields a lipstick tube that can turn into some sort of light saber, and over the course of the short 4 episodes, deals with vampires and poltergeists and the like. It often turns out that the monsters aren't quite what they seem, either!

I liked how it always kept a comedic, positive attitude about it without being too goofy, and I enjoyed the animation style. It's like that perfect combination of action/comedy/drama that 90s movies did well, genre aware, but with a sort of earnest feel without excessive irony. It doesn't really get enough love!

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

I have a special ability. The ability to remove humor out of any joke.

Here, let me demonstrate. Just look over to the right.

A staple of the convention I go with my friends to is the tragically short 2-episode OVA: The Special Duty Combat Unit Shinesman.

When the world is in danger, five mysterious masked heroes are there to protect them!

Hiroya Matsumoto is Shinesman Red! Awesome! (VA: Yasunori Matsumoto)

Ryoichi Hayami is Shinesman Moss Green! Okay! (VA: Sho Hayami)

Shogo Yamadera is Shinesman Gray! I guess! (VA: Koichi Yamadera)

Shotaro Ono is Shinesman Sepia! ...wha? (VA: Kenichi Ono)

Rika Hidaka is Shinesman Salmon Pink! I should explain. (VA: Noriko Hidaka)

The Shinesmen work for the Right Trading Company "Special Duty Combat Unit." Kyoko Sakakibara (VA: Yoshiko Sakakibara) hired them to protect the world from evil invaders from the Planet Voice, led by Prince Sakaki (VA: Nozomu Sakaki) and his assistant Seki (VA: Toshihiko Seki). They do so with their deadly weapons, the Business Card Cutter(tm) and Tie Clip Bomb(tm).

Matsumoto has a little brother who is a huge fanboy of the Greatmen, a more traditional Sentai team. That's basically all that matters with him in the OVA.

During a Greatman Festival that Right Trading helped Science Electronics (a company secretly run by Seki that Sakaki uses to fund his evil scheme) create, Matsumoto meets Shiina(VA: Hekiru Shiina), who claims that she is royalty, and as Matsumoto saw her bare skin (long story), he must now go out with her. Matsumoto does not know that Shiina is actually a Princess from Planet Voice, while Shiina is oblivious. Also she doesn't know that Matsumoto is Shinesman Red.

If I haven't sold you with the description, just watch the theme song:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yc4uY4MdqmI

Now, you may have noticed that the voice actors share a name with their characters. This is intentional, as the original mangaka had voices in mind for each character, and named them after the characters she intended to voice each person. When they created the OVA, all the voice actors named by the mangaka were hired, and the anime original character (Shiina) was named after the voice actor they hired for HER!

That said, the dub for this anime, while '90s, is genuinely hilarious, and the voice actors take it exactly as seriously as it should be taken: not.

Now just get in the glowing green square and watch this.
(Edit: now there's a link)

Senerio fucked around with this message at Sep 30, 2013 around 14:39

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

Heil Hitler House

Hah, been thinking about making a thread like this for a while, so I'm gonna write up a big effortpost when I'm less tired but for now one of my favourite overlooked shows is Super Atragon.

Based on a Toho tokusatsu movie from the 60's, which is in turn based on an early Japanese SF novel series, it's a crazy mishmash of flying drill battle ships, hollow earth conspiracy theory and bending lasers via gravity lenses. It was released in the west by ADV back in their pick up any random OVA they thought might sell phase.

Also, it has music by Masamichi Amano of Giant Robo and Battle Royale fame. Seriously listen to some of this poo poo.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gMELh7b1BSE
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i229vYbCVZo
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RB0atc5xctI

Mason Dixon
Jul 28, 2001

Crimson Butterfly

dazat posted:

Kinnikuman was extremely popular in the 80s as one of Shonen Jump's biggest properties. You may have had a brush with it via the M.U.S.C.L.E. line of toys as a kid, or more recently through its sequel Kinnikuman Nisei which was dubbed in English and broadcast by 4Kids under the title Ultimate Muscle.

Wow, I had a ton of those toys as a kid! Had no clue they were from an anime, pretty sure I wasn't even aware anime was a thing back then.

Professor Irony
Aug 9, 2005

Oh Professor, you'll bury us all!

It's probably not that obscure, as I think it got a mention in ANN's Buried Treasure, but being a sucker for '80s one-shots, I feel obliged to mention California Crisis: Gun Salvo

There's not much to the plot (a drifter and a young girl go on the run with an alien bowling ball) and it hasn't much of an ending, but I don't think anything else ever caught the look of the 1980s quite like California Crisis. There's something utterly unique about its artwork; it's like a blend of American comic books and Patrick Nagel pinup paintings.

It even shares the character designer from LoGH, so amusingly, it also stars Not-Yang.

The Box fansub is easy to find, but sadly, the only version online is a VHS rip.

Suben
Jul 1, 2007

In 1985 Dr. Strange makes a rap album.

California Crisis has one of the best drat soundtracks too. Good ol' '80s city pop...

Anyway, I'm sure everyone's seen it at this point but Dirty Pair is one of my favorite series not just of the '80s but ever.

Everyone knows the deal at this point: Kei and Yuri are the top agents of the WWWA, officially called the Lovely Angels but unofficially (and to their chagrin) called the Dirty Pair as their missions tend to involve stuff getting blown up. The series is just straight up fun. Kei and Yuri are incredibly likable with great banter. The original anime has the benefit of being incredibly episodic outside of a two-parter so you can pretty much pick an episode at random and enjoy it without having to worry about missing a bunch of plot because you jumped on with, say, episode 10 instead of episode 1. This means you also get an excuse for a variety of plots from disappearing passengers on a plane to computers run amok to chasing down a very valuable cat and none of it really feels out of place. I don't know, it's really hard to recommend it for reasons other than "because it's really fun" because that's basically all it is: a light, fun action-comedy. I believe Manga Entertainment's got the entire series uploaded legally onto youtube (along with the three movies, the OVA series, and Flash) so it shouldn't be that hard to watch if you haven't.

Dirty Pair's also the reason I'm into '80s j-pop.

Mesonychoteuthis
Apr 10, 2008

dazat posted:

Kinnikuman!

Yesss, Kinnikuman is one of my favorite series. In addition to the original manga and Kinnikuman Nisei (Ultimate Muscle) they've started a new manga set in the interim between the two series, and it's totally awesome.

Mesonychoteuthis fucked around with this message at Oct 1, 2013 around 02:42

Guyver
Dec 5, 2006

DrSunshine posted:

Some of my favorite anime were just random VHS tapes I picked up at the library years ago and decided to watch on a whim, while browsing the shelves. Among them is a short 4-episode OVA called "Phantom Quest Corp" (Yugen Kaisha)
I just watched this the other day because I saw it in a sakuga mix video. Fun little ova with some nicely choreographed fight animation.

Manatee Insanity
Oct 25, 2010

Most know the Project A-Ko anime, but have you seen the space opera spinoff? Project Ako: Versus: Grey Side/Blue Side (renamed "Uncivil Wars" later)

I've never heard any buzz about this anime, and just happened to catch it randomly during Saturday Anime on the Sci Fi channel back in the day.
It doesn't really have anything to do with the other Project A-Ko movies other than the characters, but it's a great standalone sci-fi anime.

The anime has A-Ko and B-Ko living together fending for themselves on a desert planet, when C-Ko, (in this version an heir to a corporate millionaire) falls out of the sky after being captured by space pirates. The anime is mainly about them trying to return her to her father with some twists along the way.

A-Ko is a badass. Still super-strong, completely self-absorbed, mainly wanting to turn in C-Ko to collect a bounty.

B-Ko is not conniving or evil at all in this one. Still a genius, and is truly empathetic towards C-Ko and wants to see her returned safe.

There is a LOT of back and forth bickering between A-Ko and B-Ko throughout the movie which might turn some off... but man, the anime has got full-scale space warfare, great fights, a cool cast of characters, and is pretty random and funny. That early scene where they fight the space pirates and chase the sub-sand cruiser with the makeshift hovercraft is still one of my favorite scenes in anime.

Dunno if it's just nostalgia, but still gives me chills whenever I watch it.

Professor Irony
Aug 9, 2005

Suben posted:

California Crisis has one of the best drat soundtracks too. Good ol' '80s city pop...

Completely forgot to mention that, but yeah, I really liked the soundtrack for it too.

Would also second the Dirty Pair. Can't comment on Flash, but the original version is clearly a series that someone cared about getting right. It works perfectly well as a light-hearted action adventure, but within the trappings of that, there's a level of sophistication you might not expect. The world design is beautifully realised throughout, but it's the little details that I'm always impressed by; background gags about Star Trek, a single frame saying "kaboom" in the middle of an explosion, proper faces in the crowd scenes, male playboy bunnies at a party in the episode about a woman who used to be a man... It's just a really well made show.

dazat
Nov 23, 2007

Great posts from everyone! A lot of the recommendations so far I haven't seen in a dog's age. I'm looking forward to re-watching them all!

Suben posted:

Dirty Pair

Dirty Pair is awesome. My first brush with it was watching the Streamline dub of the Project Eden movie, which is actually surprising high quality. The opening for that movie, animated by Koji Morimoto, is in a completely different visual style and totally awesome: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z53R0LoeV8c

Professor Irony posted:

It even shares the character designer from LoGH, so amusingly, it also stars Not-Yang.

This reminded me of the two-part OVA Curse of the Undead: Yoma released by ADV, which also had character designs done by the person who worked on LoGH, so the main character resembles a ninja version of Yang. You can watch the whole thing Youtube here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t8vIKfFaX9Y

Joshlemagne
Mar 6, 2013

DrSunshine posted:

You might want to check out Ghost Sweeper Mikami if you want something similar. I'm pretty sure it was a full series but I don't know how much got fansubbed. The manga is completely translated though, I think.

toomanyninjas
Feb 10, 2005

DOGOLD, I WANT YOU TO CALL AN AM-BOO-LANCE AND WHEN THEY GET HUR I WANT YOU TO TELL THEM TO
KEEP SMILING!

This isn't really obscure or anything, but if anyone's not seen Urusei Yatsura (195 episodes, 6 movies, 12 OVAs) you're really missing out. It's so bizarre, its universe of characters keeps expanding and it's always hilarious. I discovered it in the early 90s when some friends and I got into anime and found, amazingly, the first movie for rent at a local video store; this is kind of amazing because the second movie is incredibly easy to find because of licensing, but not so much the others.

Buying the TV series was hella expensive when the DVDs came out just because of volume, but now, years later, it's even more hella expensive because it's out of print. It's not easy to find legit copies of it, but it's so worth it. It's from Rumiko Takahashi, so if you like "Ranma 1/2" you'll like this, too. Typing this reminds me that I need to watch her "Maison Ikkoku" too.

toomanyninjas fucked around with this message at Oct 3, 2013 around 05:40

Guyver
Dec 5, 2006

If you go into Maison Ikkoku expecting UY or Ranma you're going to be disappointed. It's still a comedy but never really dips into the absurdity of the those two. Less a gag show with one off bit characters and more of a sitcom with a more rounded cast.

dazat
Nov 23, 2007

toomanyninjas posted:

Urusei Yatsura

Urusei Yatsura is probably my favorite Takahashi work. I enjoy the anime much more than the manga; Oshii Mamoru (Patlabor, Ghost in the Shell) directed the first half and I liked the changes he made, including the inclusion of the characters of Lum's Stormtroopers who don't exist in the original.

If you watch nothing else Urusei-related, though, make sure you watch the second movie Beautiful Dreamer. It's famous and for good reason! It's probably one of the best animated films ever made, IMO. It's also a nice introduction to Oshii's themes in a more digestible form.

Actually, I don't think you can mention old-school anime without bringing up Takahashi Rumiko's works. While still popular today, her work absolutely dominated the anime/manga scene in the 80s and 90s. Ranma 1/2 was huge, Maison Ikkoku was also pretty popular. Urusei Yatsura didn't take off quite the same way because of its length and the animation being more dated, but it had its fans too. And there were also her more minor works, like Mermaid Saga, One-pound Gospel and Rumik Theatre.

I loved the Rumik Theatre OVAs. They were three stand-alone stories based on one-shot manga she'd wrote. They were only ever released on VHS which is a drat shame; they had great animation for the time and were really entertaining.
Fire Tripper (unfortunately I could only find this one with Korean subtitles): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VdRl27LcNv8
Maris the Chojo (of poor visual quality but with English subtitles): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V7fYO5tx5Hg
Laughing Target (decent quality and subtitled! watch this one!): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V7fYO5tx5Hg

Professor Irony
Aug 9, 2005

Joshlemagne posted:

You might want to check out Ghost Sweeper Mikami if you want something similar.

Sentai actually gave GS Mikami an R1 release a couple of years back - should still be able to pick it up without too much trouble.

While I'm posting anyway, I feel obliged to also plug Space Adventure Cobra. Again, not hugely obscure (it had its own thread at one point), but Nozomi are set to release a box set of the original 1982 series imminently, so now is the time to discover why space adventures are better when you're smoking a cigar and have a gun for an arm.

Nozomi's 'trailer', basically just the OP

Adapted from a Shonen Jump manga, back in the days when SJ protagonists were in their 30s, Space Adventure Cobra is very much like what you'd get if you put Lupin in space. A wry-humoured pirate-adventurer, Cobra wanders the galaxy in search of women, loot and more women, occasionally getting roped into doing good deeds along the way. The tv series was a slickly animated, high budget production helmed by Osamu Dezaki and still looks great today.

If you're unsure whether you want to commit to the full thing, the theatrical film was also recently re-released by Discotek and is equally good. It covers roughly the first third of the tv show (albeit without Cobra's introduction/origin story), but offers a significantly different adaptation of the same material, being slightly more serious in tone and even more stylistically far-out.

Manga UK trailer for the film. Oh Yeah...

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

Heil Hitler House

Can't watch the Cobra movie without the UK dub music, Manga had a really good track record of changing the soundtrack for the better, Cyber City Oedo had much better music than the Japanese version in the UK dub, as did Street Fighter II the Movie which replaced a horrendous and inappropriate soundtrack with a bunch of incredibly 90's licensed music from the likes of Alice in Chains and KMFDM.

VVVV Haha, yeah, don't forget the classic early dance music intro.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1sVEevB7oRk

Sakurazuka fucked around with this message at Oct 3, 2013 around 18:40

Professor Irony
Aug 9, 2005

I did like the original end theme for Cyber City, but otherwise yeah, they were surprisingly good at it. Dominion Tank Police was another one I thought benefitted from their change of music. Replacing the wacky jpop gave it a bleaker tone and made it feel more like gallows humour.

Baofu
Jun 15, 2007

Are old tokusatsu shows fair game? Because I cannot recommend Ultraman and Ultraseven nearly enough.

Al Baron
Nov 12, 2007
They were all out of Marquess.

Speaking of old Anime OVAs: Animeigo wants to KS a new Bubblegum Crisis printing.

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

Mother, mother ocean, I have heard your call.

Man I saw the weirdest kinds of anime back when I was like 10-13. I came here initially thinking about the A-ko movie posted on earlier, but I also saw random stuff like a mech movie called Madox 01. I would say the thing I loved the most would have been Riding Bean. Such a fun movie, and after that I started looking for other action packed shows and found things like the original Bubblegum crisis or...poo poo what was the awesome sci-fi one they showed on sci-fi with the all girl space crew and they destroyed the moon?

Baofu
Jun 15, 2007

Kingtheninja posted:

poo poo what was the awesome sci-fi one they showed on sci-fi with the all girl space crew and they destroyed the moon?

Is it Gall Force? I remember it being pretty good, but I probably have better memories of it because I never watched any of the follow-up OVAs.

Wokrider
Dec 4, 2012

Guyver

Growing up in the early 90s Guyver was the first overly violent anime of its time.
It's strange that it spawned two full length films, David hayter taking over as the lead actor in the 2nd movie and Mark Hamil playing a supporting character in the film.
The level of detail and the quality of CG are pretty mind boggling for the time, but even with all this coverage the anime fell to obscurity not once but twice.
The first anime fell victim to being a cult classic anime most likely due to bad scripting and over arching drama plots, anyone who has watched the first anime can attest to the over use of the main characters names much in the same vein as akira.
The 2nd anime just failed to find a large audience base, most of the fans being fans from the first series.
To be honest I don't know why the 2nd season had such low sales, at one point adult swim picked it up and aired it uncut.
The manga is still being published but in japan only and only releasing chapters monthly Akin to berserk on the chapter waits.

Wokrider fucked around with this message at Oct 3, 2013 around 21:07

Baofu
Jun 15, 2007

The biggest complaint I've heard about the new series is the lack of gore.

EDIT: The second biggest complaint I heard was that they made Makishima too pretty. That came from someone who was going for a record for playing Guyver 3 at the most LARPs and refused to watch Cromartie High because "if he wanted absurdist humor, he could always watch Monty Python."

Baofu fucked around with this message at Oct 3, 2013 around 22:43

Giant Enemy Cliche
Oct 9, 2012

"It was then that an ominous man stood beside me with a face of ill portent."

I remember being about 8/9 and seeing my cousin's Guyver VHS tapes and thinking they looked cool. I remember being annoyed that he wouldn't let me watch the cool cartoons.
I have a real soft spot for 80's and 90's anime, I really enjoy the animation style and particularly the music. I'm going to be checking back on this thread a lot!

I recently found these collections of Mecha anime openings from the 80's and 90's, they've been a good resource for finding stuff.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a26JG33Lx-w
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BLVh8Cstkd0

MagicalDuck
Dec 29, 2008

Moonlight Legend

Marmalade Boy is the ultimate in 90's shoujo romance. It's best known for its huge love polygon and soap opera-style melodrama. One of Toei's "fashionable trio" of anime, Marmalade Boy ran from the Spring 1994 to Fall 1995. There was also a short movie retelling the first episode from the male lead's perspective. Tokyopop licensed the series back in the early 2000s, but that license has long since expired.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b_8iJSthiGA

Miki, our heroine, is a normal high school girl. Her family is another story. While on a romantic vacation, her parents decided to divorce and swap spouses with another couple they met. Now Miki finds herself living with four parents and a brand-new step-brother. And the step-brother is that guy who kissed her in the school infirmary! Follow Miki and her friends through the ups and downs of high school romance. There will be rivals, old flames, and maybe even true love? Love tastes so sweet, but it can be a little bitter. Just like marmalade.

Oh, and learn to like this song. You'll be hearing it a lot.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-saiR-7n_n4

Plastic_Gargoyle
Aug 3, 2007
Injection-Molded

Back when the anime network 24-hour channel was still around, I watched part of Aura Battler Dunbine, and I have to say, I enjoyed it quite a bit, though the ending is pretty typical of that period of Tomino's work. Another ADV-licensed series, though I have no idea where the rights are now. Bandai just recently released Robot Damashii figures of some of the mecha designs, so Japan hasn't forgotten about it entirely, at least.

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005

FABULOUS MAX

dazat posted:

Urusei Yatsura is probably my favorite Takahashi work. I enjoy the anime much more than the manga; Oshii Mamoru (Patlabor, Ghost in the Shell) directed the first half and I liked the changes he made, including the inclusion of the characters of Lum's Stormtroopers who don't exist in the original.

If you watch nothing else Urusei-related, though, make sure you watch the second movie Beautiful Dreamer. It's famous and for good reason! It's probably one of the best animated films ever made, IMO. It's also a nice introduction to Oshii's themes in a more digestible form.

Actually, I don't think you can mention old-school anime without bringing up Takahashi Rumiko's works. While still popular today, her work absolutely dominated the anime/manga scene in the 80s and 90s. Ranma 1/2 was huge, Maison Ikkoku was also pretty popular. Urusei Yatsura didn't take off quite the same way because of its length and the animation being more dated, but it had its fans too. And there were also her more minor works, like Mermaid Saga, One-pound Gospel and Rumik Theatre.

I loved the Rumik Theatre OVAs. They were three stand-alone stories based on one-shot manga she'd wrote. They were only ever released on VHS which is a drat shame; they had great animation for the time and were really entertaining.
Fire Tripper (unfortunately I could only find this one with Korean subtitles): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VdRl27LcNv8
Maris the Chojo (of poor visual quality but with English subtitles): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V7fYO5tx5Hg
Laughing Target (decent quality and subtitled! watch this one!): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V7fYO5tx5Hg

Went ahead and watched the movie, and it was fun. I think that's probably enough Urusei Yatsura for me, though. I love Takahashi (Ranma was my introduction to manga/anime), but I think I've had enough of episodic stuff for a good long while.

McNagah
Dec 28, 2012

If you love to check out old series, or just love old books, nothing is better than the World Masterpiece Theater collection. One series in particular I would recommend for everyone is Anne of Green Gables.

The animated version of Anne of Green Gables is about Anne who is an orphan full of imagination. When she arrives at her new home she learns that sometimes you have to be a sensible person too; at the same time her unique character changes, or at least attracts, the people around her. The story covers Anne's growth from about eleven to seventeen years old as she makes friends, goes to school and studies. At a difficult point in her life, Anne will have to make a hard choice and perhaps find a new dream.

Anne of Green Gables is made by some of the prominent staff members at Ghibi, such as the director Takahata Isao (who also made Grave of the Fireflies, Only Yesterday) and is drawn by Kondou Yoshifumi (Princess Mononoke, Kiki's Delivery Service.), and Hayao Mizaki.

Another reason to watch is because the that the art is absolutely gorgeous to see. The style is very similar to something drawn by Bob Ross.

jpmeyer
Jan 17, 2012

parody image of che

MagicalDuck posted:

Marmalade Boy is the ultimate in 90's shoujo romance. It's best known for its huge love polygon and soap opera-style melodrama. One of Toei's "fashionable trio" of anime, Marmalade Boy ran from the Spring 1994 to Fall 1995. There was also a short movie retelling the first episode from the male lead's perspective. Tokyopop licensed the series back in the early 2000s, but that license has long since expired.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b_8iJSthiGA

Miki, our heroine, is a normal high school girl. Her family is another story. While on a romantic vacation, her parents decided to divorce and swap spouses with another couple they met. Now Miki finds herself living with four parents and a brand-new step-brother. And the step-brother is that guy who kissed her in the school infirmary! Follow Miki and her friends through the ups and downs of high school romance. There will be rivals, old flames, and maybe even true love? Love tastes so sweet, but it can be a little bitter. Just like marmalade.

Oh, and learn to like this song. You'll be hearing it a lot.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-saiR-7n_n4

Marmalade Boy is very long (76 episodes) but at the very least the last 2 episodes should be watched by anyone/everyone. The gang moves out to NYC and it's one of those great examples of hilariously inaccurate Japanese stereotypes of America circa 1992 (complete with magical negros).

dazat
Nov 23, 2007

Speaking of old-school shoujo, I was always big in Hana Yori Dango (Boys Over Flowers).

I loved the heroine Tsukushi, as opposed to many meek shoujo heroines she's very fiery and out-spoken. A poor girl who managed to get into an elite academy via scholarship, her plan is to just keep her head low until she graduates. But one day her best friend is 'declared war' on by the F4 (short for Flowery Four), a group of four of the richest, handsomest and most popular guys in school. Most of them are actually pretty chill, but their leader Doumyouji is an aggressive bully who likes to stick red sheets of paper in people's lockers, thereby declaring war on them and watching as the rest of the entire school picks on the hapless party in is place. When Tsukushi confronts Doumyouji she also ends up marked, but decides she'll also declare war on the F4, starting by kicking Doumyouji straight in the face. Thus a romance is born...

I feel like the style was dated even when it came out in 1996 (especially Doumyouji's hairstyle, uggggh), and the story has a lot of melodrama, but Tsukushi's down-to-earth personality keeps things centered and there's a lot of great comedy to balance things out. As a romantic interest Doumyouji has a lot of the typical Twilight-esque abusive male lead problems at the beginning, but they're actually mostly all addressed and ironed out toward the middle of the series. The anime runs a modest 51 episodes, and there was also an explosively popular Korean drama adaption (as well as a more recent Japanese one). I definitely recommend giving it a watch!

I especially love the Happy Days-esque opening theme: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RvZ_f9umldU
Which was used as basis for an alternate universe Flash Dance-esque 'movie' (actually only 30 minutes long): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oLuClKwwIUM

Zeether
Aug 26, 2011

Golden Boy is an amazing OVA series and totally worth the watch, especially in English because the main character's voice actor emotes so drat well. Exhibit A, swimming: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bHmBSfci0yE

The bike episode in particular is fantastic as well: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a-SDwYnIDJ0

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.

Suben posted:

Anyway, I'm sure everyone's seen it at this point but Dirty Pair is one of my favorite series not just of the '80s but ever.

Everyone knows the deal at this point: Kei and Yuri are the top agents of the WWWA, officially called the Lovely Angels but unofficially (and to their chagrin) called the Dirty Pair as their missions tend to involve stuff getting blown up. The series is just straight up fun. Kei and Yuri are incredibly likable with great banter. The original anime has the benefit of being incredibly episodic outside of a two-parter so you can pretty much pick an episode at random and enjoy it without having to worry about missing a bunch of plot because you jumped on with, say, episode 10 instead of episode 1. This means you also get an excuse for a variety of plots from disappearing passengers on a plane to computers run amok to chasing down a very valuable cat and none of it really feels out of place. I don't know, it's really hard to recommend it for reasons other than "because it's really fun" because that's basically all it is: a light, fun action-comedy. I believe Manga Entertainment's got the entire series uploaded legally onto youtube (along with the three movies, the OVA series, and Flash) so it shouldn't be that hard to watch if you haven't.

Dirty Pair's also the reason I'm into '80s j-pop.

I just saw the first episode on Youtube, indeed uploaded by Manga Entertainment. Thanks for the tip! I never saw this show back in the day but I would have adored it. The banter between the girls is hilarious, and the whole thing is really charming and really '80s. It also manages to be pretty silly without becoming a farce like Dominion Tank Police. I'll definitely give the rest of the episodes a go!

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

ASK ME ABOUT MY PRIVATE COLLECTION OF RARE MLP PORN!

Hey man, you did *not* just knock Dominion Tank Police.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=La7Drjku-Y8

TANK POLICE!

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.

Nah, it's cool. I LOVED Tank Police back in the '90s and I still watch it from time to time. The opening where the chief tries to justify using tanks and nukes against street thugs is hilarious, and captain Brenten is great. Farce might have been the wrong word to describe it. What do you call a show with scenes like this one?

Renoistic fucked around with this message at Oct 6, 2013 around 21:24

Broniki
Sep 2, 2009

Professor Irony posted:

Sentai actually gave GS Mikami an R1 release a couple of years back - should still be able to pick it up without too much trouble.

While I'm posting anyway, I feel obliged to also plug Space Adventure Cobra. Again, not hugely obscure (it had its own thread at one point), but Nozomi are set to release a box set of the original 1982 series imminently, so now is the time to discover why space adventures are better when you're smoking a cigar and have a gun for an arm.

Nozomi's 'trailer', basically just the OP

Adapted from a Shonen Jump manga, back in the days when SJ protagonists were in their 30s, Space Adventure Cobra is very much like what you'd get if you put Lupin in space. A wry-humoured pirate-adventurer, Cobra wanders the galaxy in search of women, loot and more women, occasionally getting roped into doing good deeds along the way. The tv series was a slickly animated, high budget production helmed by Osamu Dezaki and still looks great today.

If you're unsure whether you want to commit to the full thing, the theatrical film was also recently re-released by Discotek and is equally good. It covers roughly the first third of the tv show (albeit without Cobra's introduction/origin story), but offers a significantly different adaptation of the same material, being slightly more serious in tone and even more stylistically far-out.

Manga UK trailer for the film. Oh Yeah...

This is definitely my most recommended 80s anime. The animation is fantastic for an TV show of that era - Cobra himself is frentic and rarely stays still, the set pieces are great and of course it has Dezaki's masterful direction. Even though it's 39 episodes I never felt like it was wasting time, there's goofy action every episode. Plus, it's dripping with style. Normally I dislike 'westernized' anime, but Cobra draws from pulp sci-fi and european cinema of the 60s which I absolutely adore.

And you can't hate Dezaki's chalk pastel stills (animated)

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

ASK ME ABOUT MY PRIVATE COLLECTION OF RARE MLP PORN!

Renoistic posted:

What do you call a show with scenes like this one?
You mean besides 'awesome?'

And just so I have a recommendation that isn't reliant entirely on the inherent funniness of cocks.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J8hwDQJRU7E

Armored Trooper Votoms is a mecha anime from the early 80s that heavily influenced the burgeoning 'real robot' genre. You can see its hand in anime ranging from later Gundam series to Code Geass, but I think it qualifies as underappreciated, at least in the west. I rarely see discussion of it outside of forums specifically dedicated to mecha anime, and it's a real shame, since it's both an interesting show on its own and interesting to see how many shows it's influenced, mecha or otherwise.

In contrast to a lot of mecha anime, especially at the time, the mechs aren't invincible - the protagonist, Chirico Cuvie, is nearly a hollywood style super soldier, but even he goes through mechs like paper. More than that, he never really gets a personal, customized mech. A few exist in the show's setting, but Chirico isn't a pilot of one for any length of time. This lends all the combat a pretty neat flavor, since Chirico is, techwise, on the exact same level as his enemies. It avoids the trap some later Gundam series have fallen into, of having the protagonist fall into a mech that completely obliterates whole armies. Chirico's one man, and he's using a standard piece of military technology, and that's what makes the mecha action interesting. That, and the fact that mechs aren't the end-all be-all in terms of warfare. They're strong, sure, and a key part of military strategy, but they're still beatable. They can be compared to tanks in the real world in that way. It's an interesting dichotomy that I haven't seen in too many other shows, even more 'realistic' mecha shows.

It even works as a serious war story, to a certain extent - Chirico, for all his super-soldier-ness, actually seems pretty wounded by all the things he's gone through, and one arc is a pretty solid take on Space 'nam that actually avoids painting any one side as too cartoonishly evil.

Also listen to that OP, it's loving killer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.

Endorph posted:

You mean besides 'awesome?'

And just so I have a recommendation that isn't reliant entirely on the inherent funniness of cocks.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J8hwDQJRU7E

Armored Trooper Votoms is a mecha anime from the early 80s that heavily influenced the burgeoning 'real robot' genre. You can see its hand in anime ranging from later Gundam series to Code Geass, but I think it qualifies as underappreciated, at least in the west. I rarely see discussion of it outside of forums specifically dedicated to mecha anime, and it's a real shame, since it's both an interesting show on its own and interesting to see how many shows it's influenced, mecha or otherwise.

In contrast to a lot of mecha anime, especially at the time, the mechs aren't invincible - the protagonist, Chirico Cuvie, is nearly a hollywood style super soldier, but even he goes through mechs like paper. More than that, he never really gets a personal, customized mech. A few exist in the show's setting, but Chirico isn't a pilot of one for any length of time. This lends all the combat a pretty neat flavor, since Chirico is, techwise, on the exact same level as his enemies. It avoids the trap some later Gundam series have fallen into, of having the protagonist fall into a mech that completely obliterates whole armies. Chirico's one man, and he's using a standard piece of military technology, and that's what makes the mecha action interesting. That, and the fact that mechs aren't the end-all be-all in terms of warfare. They're strong, sure, and a key part of military strategy, but they're still beatable. They can be compared to tanks in the real world in that way. It's an interesting dichotomy that I haven't seen in too many other shows, even more 'realistic' mecha shows.

It even works as a serious war story, to a certain extent - Chirico, for all his super-soldier-ness, actually seems pretty wounded by all the things he's gone through, and one arc is a pretty solid take on Space 'nam that actually avoids painting any one side as too cartoonishly evil.

Also listen to that OP, it's loving killer.

I've never heard of this one but it looks pretty interesting. It's next on my list after Dirty Pair if I can get my hands on it!

«3 »