Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house
I need to re-do the radio mixes for Radium. I'm not hugely familiar with Russian music but I've browsed a few questionable Russian sites to get an idea of the kind of stuff that's popular. I'm open to suggestions, but nothing that takes place after the time frame Call of Pripyat is set in. The Zone doesn't have huge time travelling properties at the moment.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Klaus88
Jan 23, 2011

Violence has its own economy, therefore be thoughtful and precise in your investment

MariusLecter posted:

I'll upload a base carry weight mod for you and other scaredy stalkers, with optional weights lol
How's 60, 65 and 70 sound?

Along with a Immersion Ruining Music mod with compatibility for Faction Playlist by Team Epic.

As soon as I'm out of the Crisis Unit that is :v:

Sounds good. :sureboat:

Delerion
Sep 8, 2008

unf unf unf
Crap, looks like OWR 2.1 is an old version, time to restart with OWR 3 then.

It includes Openxray, i can't find a list of features it adds to the game though anywhere, except using fov command rather than the fov switcher tool.

Man, modding this reminds me of skyrim where you spend 10 hours before getting actually to play.

Delerion fucked around with this message at 16:47 on Nov 24, 2015

Saint Sputnik
Apr 1, 2007

Tyrannosaurs in P-51 Volkswagens!

Ddraig posted:

I need to re-do the radio mixes for Radium. I'm not hugely familiar with Russian music but I've browsed a few questionable Russian sites to get an idea of the kind of stuff that's popular. I'm open to suggestions, but nothing that takes place after the time frame Call of Pripyat is set in. The Zone doesn't have huge time travelling properties at the moment.

The time frame is fairly modern though isn't it? I'd love to get Ya Soldat' by 5nizza from the Misery soundtrack. And of course Vitktor Tsoi/Kino is a perennial favorite, I think he's pretty heavily represented in Stalker already.

e: Akvarium and Nautilus Pompulus are also older bands that are pretty popular (and probably also already included either in the original or some expanded soundtrack mod)

Saint Sputnik fucked around with this message at 16:51 on Nov 24, 2015

Swartz
Jul 28, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

Delerion posted:

Crap, looks like OWR 2.1 is an old version, time to restart with OWR 3 then.

It includes Openxray, i can't find a list of features it adds to the game though anywhere, except using fov command rather than the fov switcher tool.

Man, modding this reminds me of skyrim where you spend 10 hours before getting actually to play.

OWR 3 on it's own has an older version of Open Xray, with a bunch of features I had added to Open XRay specifically for OWR 3.
Those features being allowance of an "empty" animation on full-auto pistols; a reload_empty animation for all guns; reload DOF restored and added reload_empty_dof (though r_pop didn't use either of them properly); actor shadows (I think I included them anyway, he may have asked me to strip them out); and that's is far as my brain is going: there are other features too.

Klaus88
Jan 23, 2011

Violence has its own economy, therefore be thoughtful and precise in your investment

Saint Sputnik posted:

The time frame is fairly modern though isn't it? I'd love to get Ya Soldat' by 5nizza from the Misery soundtrack. And of course Vitktor Tsoi/Kino is a perennial favorite, I think he's pretty heavily represented in Stalker already.

e: Akvarium and Nautilus Pompulus are also older bands that are pretty popular (and probably also already included either in the original or some expanded soundtrack mod)

Russians sure do love their guitars. :allears:

While we're on music, does anybody else find that duty's choice of music put them in a "death to fascists" mood? Heavy metal and soviet anthems don't mesh well you gently caress heads! :argh:

Sparkyhodgo
Jun 21, 2003
Long potato

Delerion posted:

Only 10 hours? I just spent Saturday doing exactly that, then having my hard drive die so I get to do it again :shakesfist:

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house
Duty's unofficial theme tune:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LB9lObWclFQ

baromodo
Nov 14, 2012
Somebody created a pretty good mod manager program for Fallout 3/NV IIRC (there's also Nexus Mod Manager). Is such a thing a viable option for CoC/Stalker in general or is the way the files are structured too complicated?

Namnesor
Jun 29, 2005

Dante's allowance - $100
It's more that you can't really combine mods easily unless they're made compatible. Like two mods that add guns will only work properly if the relevant ltx files are appended to contain entries from both.

rejutka
May 28, 2004

by zen death robot
Well, I just had a STALKER moment:

I'm playing The Faction War - joined Defiance - and have wiped everyone bar the Merc faction. Just moved into Agroprom map and hit, er, the one on the right, the not-Duty base. Things are going very well indeed. I sprinted up behind a tree and drop around ten Mercs with my trusty and tricked out Mosin-Nagant. I wait a few moments, only the one guy in the gatehouse so I sprint up, switching to my SIG 550 (Good enough for Strelok, etc.), pop a grenade in the window and move behind cover. Op success.

There's a build-up of Mercs beside the trains a bit away so I call for back-up, wait a bit and then start again with the Mosin. Between me and the back-up, we drop all who do not run. Fine and dandy. They move forward and I loot the bodies of patches and some ammo and grenades. Hang on, what's that sound? I press F and poo poo, I'm dead, a Chimera landed on my head while looting.

Such is life in the Zone.

Sparkyhodgo
Jun 21, 2003
Long potato

baromodo posted:

Somebody created a pretty good mod manager program for Fallout 3/NV IIRC (there's also Nexus Mod Manager). Is such a thing a viable option for CoC/Stalker in general or is the way the files are structured too complicated?

There is a STALKER Smart Mod Manager https://smartmodmanager.codeplex.com but I've never used it. You're welcome to be our Guinea pig. Can it swap out the v1.0008b fan patch for v1.0006 when needed? baromodo, we look to you to find out.

v1ld
Apr 16, 2012

Delerion posted:

Thanks. Low sunrays seem to work fine.

The mod pack i'm using("clear sky arsenal mod merge") has both atmosfear and SWTC, i was thinking of just installing them manually but Arsenal overhaul uses an older version of SRP as base and i have no idea how to combine them both.

The texture mods also increase the load times a lot, even on an ssd it takes more than a minute to start the game with no prefetch.

edit:the game seems to freeze completely after ~10-20 minutes of play, gonna try to fiddle with the settings but otherwise i think i'll move on to CoP.

Don't use DX11, DX10.1 is better optimized. Better still, just drop to Enhanced DX9 mode - your load times and FPS will improve greatly. All you lose its volumetric smoke (but you still have volumetric light!) and the wet surface shaders.

The merge you're using has SWTC as the weather mod with Atmosfear blowouts added in. SWTC is a nice change, though both are great weather mods. I'm currently playing The Faction War with Atmosfear and it's nice to have very different weather in the same game.

The random CTDs increase as you get closer to the end of the game, sadly. But with DX9, restarts are very fast so it's not such a bother.

CS gets a bad rap, but that merge addresses most of the problems (bugs and spongy enemies). The game is a blast in the middle game, stick with it!

Also, buy the 40,000 ruble stash from Ganja in the Dark Valley that contains the H&K G3SG/1, have Uncle Yar max its upgrades, and buy a 7.62 suppressor. Great weapon that will last you through the end game.

v1ld
Apr 16, 2012

Delerion posted:

Just finished Clear Sky, had to drop down to dx9 to play it without crashing, early game was fun but the end was a horrible quickloadfest, small corridor shooting with one-hit kills wasn't much fun.

Time to move on to CoP, i think i'll run with SWTC, sound mod and some texture mods for the first playthrough.

Ignore my other reply about DX9.

The hospital segment really sucked, yeah. Narrow corridors with enemies spawning behind you felt like a completely different game! I wish Limansk wasn't so on rails but it was still fun. The Red Forest was great.

Delerion
Sep 8, 2008

unf unf unf

v1ld posted:

Ignore my other reply about DX9.

The hospital segment really sucked, yeah. Narrow corridors with enemies spawning behind you felt like a completely different game! I wish Limansk wasn't so on rails but it was still fun. The Red Forest was great.

Yeah, even though Limansk was on rails it was still a pretty open area and going in with a few buddies was fun.

Swartz posted:

Those features being allowance of an "empty" animation on full-auto pistols; a reload_empty animation for all guns; reload DOF restored and added reload_empty_dof (though r_pop didn't use either of them properly); actor shadows (I think I included them anyway, he may have asked me to strip them out); and that's is far as my brain is going: there are other features too.

Nice, i really like having proper reload animations, and the gun animations look real good in OWR, a nice change from FO4(though im sure millenia will fix this)

Namnesor
Jun 29, 2005

Dante's allowance - $100
Millenia is a texture artist, not an animator.

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

:coolspot:
Seashells by the
Seashorpheus
I'm not really complaining but why is the armor-piercing 9x39 (SP-6) ammo cheaper than the standard (SP-5) ammo?

baromodo
Nov 14, 2012

Sparkyhodgo posted:

There is a STALKER Smart Mod Manager https://smartmodmanager.codeplex.com but I've never used it. You're welcome to be our Guinea pig. Can it swap out the v1.0008b fan patch for v1.0006 when needed? baromodo, we look to you to find out.

Looks like that was last updated in 2009, and it only mentions Soc and CS. Don't reckon it'll be up to the task for CoC, I won't have the time to try any time soon either.

fennesz
Dec 29, 2008

Morter posted:

I'm not really complaining but why is the armor-piercing 9x39 (SP-6) ammo cheaper than the standard (SP-5) ammo?

I didn't get that either. The two boxes of ammo look extremely physically similar too.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

I gave them, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SQ2Hjq83rHo.

And guess who has this track, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5RqJ9blAHHo

------ lol ------

Also, is Monolith music supposed to play in the basement with the trader and technician? I don't hear anything there ever. And if it's supposed to be in another area, I have yet to find it :(

fennesz
Dec 29, 2008

Loners :v:

e: As someone who doesn't typically like metal or psychedelic, that track is pretty good. Has a Paranoid/BJM vibe to it.

fennesz fucked around with this message at 22:21 on Nov 25, 2015

Delerion
Sep 8, 2008

unf unf unf
I just noticed OWR 3.0 hides the weapon damage stat from guns, can i turn it back on somehow or compare weapons some other way?

Swartz
Jul 28, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

Delerion posted:

I just noticed OWR 3.0 hides the weapon damage stat from guns, can i turn it back on somehow or compare weapons some other way?

He hides the stats because the game's system doesn't display stats properly for his guns due to certain config values it uses. It would look awful. Thinking about it now I should have programmed a new stat system for him (note to self: do that for Radium too!).

If you want the weird gun stats though I won't stop you. Here's the vanilla version of the file that got changed in OWR3: https://www.mediafire.com/?4ee6376jzwi58yy

On a different note, has anyone seen the Radium graphical update? I'm curious how AMD owners feel. I'm also interested in suggestions for graphical effects and changes to the game.

I'm also going to start a little side project next time I'm bored working on Radium: I'm going to spruce up the SOC engine, add Meltac's shaders as console commands as well as OGSE shaders and effects, and if porting DX9 shaders to DX11 continues to go well, I'm going to add DX11 to SOC too. It won't be as hard as it sounds, especially since I'm now very familiar with how all three Stalker game engines work.

Missing Name
Jan 5, 2013

Yeah, yeah, it's an Imperial Russian melody, but somehow it still feels natural for the Military to play nothing but the Praeobrazhenskiy March

If I could make it sound drunk somehow, I would

Delerion
Sep 8, 2008

unf unf unf

Swartz posted:

He hides the stats because the game's system doesn't display stats properly for his guns due to certain config values it uses. It would look awful. Thinking about it now I should have programmed a new stat system for him (note to self: do that for Radium too!).

Thanks. I'll just use weapons which look nicest and have the biggest caliber.

Radium graphical stuff is awesome, i haven't used AMD in ages though so can't comment on that side.

Two suggestions i can think of: borderless windowed mode and shell casings staying on the floor and having sounds when they drop(and different sounds based on what kinda material they are dropping on) something FO4 did right.

Not sure if some mod already does the shell casing stuff, but i notice them disappearing almost instantly and not making a sound.

edit:I found a m4a1 and attached a scope + silencer on it, the scope looks like this from the top: http://i.imgur.com/6GJrrlf.jpg

Am i missing a texture or is it supposed to look like that?

Delerion fucked around with this message at 15:40 on Nov 26, 2015

fennesz
Dec 29, 2008

It's an ACOG scope. And, yes, it looks like that.

e:

Swartz
Jul 28, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

Delerion posted:

Two suggestions i can think of: borderless windowed mode and shell casings staying on the floor and having sounds when they drop(and different sounds based on what kinda material they are dropping on) something FO4 did right.

Not sure if some mod already does the shell casing stuff, but i notice them disappearing almost instantly and not making a sound.

1) Borderless windows mode:
I don't see why not, I'll ask my main programmer how hard it would be and if he's up for it.

2) 3D Shell casings w/ sound effects:
There is already a mod coming out, that will be releasing their source code, that has 3d shells (though I don't know about sound).
The initial plan was going to be to use their source when it's out soon and add that.
However, I think what's going to happen is that we will use that 3d shell casing code for those on AMD cards, because I talked with my main programmer and we're both very, very interested in adding PhysX in it's various forms, and I know that with Flex anyways it uses 3D particles/models as particles.
I would also make sure they had collision sound as I'm someone that does notice small things like that.

The plan is for those with Nvidia cards anyway, I'd like to replace all anomaly effects, fire, smoke, candles and other 2D particles and make use of PhysX to allow for very modern looking effects with great stuff like receiving/casting shadows as well as things like campfires emitting real light.
Then for 3d stuff, such as the shell casings, bullet debris, and hopefully blood that can drip down surfaces and pool up: we would utilize either basic PhysX or hopefully, PhysX Flex to achieve these effects.

It's exciting stuff. The only drawbacks is it's a lot of work to make all these effects (and I don't know if Loner is going to want to remake all the particle effects, so I may try my hand at it and see how it goes). Integrating it into the game actually looks pretty easy to do (and we can still keep GSC's particle system for some effects and for AMD users), but then it's also a matter of creating shadowing and lighting shaders for the new particles. However: browsing through the shaders that came with the PhysX SDK it looks like they have some example shaders that do just that, however they'd need to be adapted to look "correct" in Stalker.

====
I also have another question for people: is anyone interested in playing Shadow of Chernobyl and it's mods with a generally improved engine and within DirectX 11? I don't want to waste my time on this side project if it doesn't interest anybody.
It wouldn't just be effects that GSC did for COP's DX11, there would be plenty of brand new DX11-only effects, including those I'm doing for Radium. I also imagine that PN Triangle Tesselation might help revive some of the dated character and monster models that are used in SOC.

And don't fear: it won't be meant for a vanilla playthrough strictly. I'm going to contact various SOC mod authors when I start this and if they had used modified binaries themselves I'd see if I could add code (hopefully they'd just give it to me) to make their mod compatible.
The only exception to this is OGSE, which already looks great anyway, plus although they shared their rendering code they're not willing to give out their code for new LUA functions. I should add one other exception: Lost Alpha won't be compatible either, but it's basically a different game anyway and from what I understand their Director's Cut will have COP's DX11 ported over.

Let me know.

Swartz fucked around with this message at 19:06 on Nov 26, 2015

fennesz
Dec 29, 2008

Swartz posted:

I also have another question for people: is anyone interested in playing Shadow of Chernobyl and it's mods with a generally improved engine and within DirectX 11? I don't want to waste my time on this side project if it doesn't interest anybody.

I would. I feel like I'm probably not alone either. I realized recently I haven't played SoC in somethiing like 7 years and was probably going to replay it sometime soon.

I'd also add I'd only play it if it played nicely with the SoC overhauls/completes out there though. Didn't mod SoC my first time through.

Swartz
Jul 28, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

fennesz posted:

I would. I feel like I'm probably not alone either. I realized recently I haven't played SoC in somethiing like 7 years and was probably going to replay it sometime soon.

I'd also add I'd only play it if it played nicely with the SoC overhauls/completes out there though. Didn't mod SoC my first time through.

My goal is maximum compatibility. Mods like Complete make no changes to the engine, so it would work fine.

I think you're thinking of what would happen if I changed the scripts or configs or something: I'm not touching any of that, I'm touching the source code for the game engine.

rejutka
May 28, 2004

by zen death robot
More good STALKER is always more good STALKER.

Sparkyhodgo
Jun 21, 2003
Long potato

Swartz posted:

It wouldn't just be effects that GSC did for COP's DX11, there would be plenty of brand new DX11-only effects, including those I'm doing for Radium. I also imagine that PN Triangle Tesselation might help revive some of the dated character and monster models that are used in SOC.

And don't fear: it won't be meant for a vanilla playthrough strictly. I'm going to contact various SOC mod authors when I start this and if they had used modified binaries themselves I'd see if I could add code (hopefully they'd just give it to me) to make their mod compatible.
The only exception to this is OGSE, which already looks great anyway, plus although they shared their rendering code they're not willing to give out their code for new LUA functions. I should add one other exception: Lost Alpha won't be compatible either, but it's basically a different game anyway and from what I understand their Director's Cut will have COP's DX11 ported over.

Let me know.

Awesome

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

:coolspot:
Seashells by the
Seashorpheus
Really the only thing I'm hoping for is dynamic/randomized spawn points for NPCs and artifacts in CoC and i'll be pretty much set for life.

v1ld
Apr 16, 2012

Swartz posted:

My goal is maximum compatibility. Mods like Complete make no changes to the engine, so it would work fine.

I think you're thinking of what would happen if I changed the scripts or configs or something: I'm not touching any of that, I'm touching the source code for the game engine.

This would be great. I play SoC the most of the three.

fennesz
Dec 29, 2008

Swartz posted:

Awesome.

I'm even getting to the point with CoP that I cobble together my own version of like three different mods by just picking and choosing what folders I add to the active gamefile. I have a feeling I'll do the same thing with SoC.

Robot Randy
Dec 31, 2011

by Lowtax
I've been dicking around in Ironman mode with CoC+AO3 and been having a real good time with it. On my first run, I randomed a Military start and decided to head to the outpost in Cordon. It was pretty rough going at first, even after I cleared out the loner base in Agroprom I could only scrape together enough for a MP433 and AKS74. Eventually I made it to the Cordon, where I promptly sent a military squad to their deaths trying to clear out the rookie village at 1 in the morning. I somehow managed to live through that dumb decision, and had amassed about 75k from selling all of Nimble's weapons to Sidorovich. Armed with a G3 and PP2000, I set out for the bar in hopes of finding more ammo. Along the way I tested out the G3 on some Fleshes, and dropped them with one shot each. I found the same to be true with the Bandits at the factory, and was then domed execution style by one who had sneaked around the bus stop.

Ironman mode seems like it will make a great semi-persistent roguelike, although I wish there some sort of postmortem screen that showed you your kills and other stats

v1ld
Apr 16, 2012

Swartz posted:

Let me know.

Already responded, but just wanted to say that this would be huge for SoC - it has a lot of great mods but the most primitive engine graphically. I was hoping to use OGSE 0693 as the engine for all my SoC play once it was translated and I'd played it, but what you said about Lua changes makes it sound like that would require script changes.

Backporting all the goodness you folks have added in OpenXray to the earlier games in a fully compatible, drop in fashion would be huge.

SoC needs it the most by far,but even CS and CoP would benefit since using DX10/11 there imposes extremely long load times, the need to remove that Microsoft update, etc.

But yeah, SoC with an updated engine would be fantastic.

Swartz
Jul 28, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
I'm glad people are so enthusiastic about an updated engine, and what I'm excited about, which is giving it DirectX 11 with a wide set of features.
I've decided to wait a little longer than what was originally planned in terms of starting the project. I'm working on a bunch of DirectX 11 effects now for Radium which I would port over.
I will also most likely make the source code to the Shadow of Chernobyl project available as it progresses on Bitbucket.

I will admit that there are some things about DirectX 11 I'm still learning from the programming side. I had a lot of trouble getting a particular effect that was programmed for DirectX 9 ported over to DirectX 11 yesterday, so I've decided I also need to do some more reading first. I rented a few rendering e-books, and I learn pretty fast, so I'm not worried.

I'm very tempted to list some of the effects I have sample code for and would like to implement, but at the same time It's possible I may not be able to do it yet, and I'm also thinking maybe I should surprise people.

Just to make things clear: I'm not really going to mess with SOC's DX9 renderer much: I want to focus on DX11.

I'll make a page on ModDB for this project when I've begun work on it.

fennesz
Dec 29, 2008

Swartz! I guess I'll just take this opportunity and thank you for your work.

Everything I've played that you've had anything to do with has had me playing and replaying CoP even though it was the very first title I bought on my new steam account like 7 years ago.

:tipshat:

Swartz
Jul 28, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

fennesz posted:

Swartz! I guess I'll just take this opportunity and thank you for your work.

Everything I've played that you've had anything to do with has had me playing and replaying CoP even though it was the very first title I bought on my new steam account like 7 years ago.

:tipshat:

Aw, shucks :keke:

For that I'll let you in on something I'm working on.

GSC already has height-map tessellation in their code and shaders, they just never use it. As a test I'm changing it so that everything with steep parallax will use height-map tessellation instead. If that works as intended, I'm going to add a new variable to the image editor in the SDK which will allow you to choose to use the bump# file as a height-map for tessellation, so you can pick and choose any texture in the game to be tessellated.
Of course tessellation can be a performance hog at times, so there will be a new console command as well to enable/disable it, like "r4_displacement_mapping".

Of course this feature would also be made available in the SOC engine once I start on that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO
Welp, Freedom base radio stopped working for me. Even reinstalling CoC doesn't help. Guess whatever it is was also happening with Monolith radio and I can only guess are the Dead City Mercs and Garbage Bandits radios.

Here's Immersion_Ruining_Radio_Mod_1.0

Moddb download: http://www.moddb.com/mods/call-of-chernobyl/addons/immersion-ruining-radio-mod-10

Also the Weight Carry changes some of you need.

Bonus: Cat meat

Bonus #2: Ambient sounds fix that removes the annoying roar you'll hear when moving around outdoors.

Current loadout.

also, this loving game

MariusLecter fucked around with this message at 20:41 on Nov 30, 2015