Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Missing Name
Jan 5, 2013

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

The STALKER universe doesn't have "women" in it. Men reproduce by inseminating mud in a joyless asexual exercise.

:smith:f course there's a fix for that

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Swartz
Jul 28, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Noah probably fucks his pseudodog friend in the butt. That's why:
A) His dog is always angry
B) He fires at you when you approach his door. You're probably interrupting something.

I'm creating a new page for r_populik's Original Weapons Renewal 2.1 since he has quit modding Stalker and he took his page down.

If anyone is interested in helping, I could use someone that's good with Photoshop to create some nice graphics for the page.
If interested send me a PM on my moddb page: http://www.moddb.com/members/jketiynu

I'll also be releasing an addon for his mod that adds even more weapons that I will import into the game, but I don't need any graphics for that now as it's a ways off.

frank.club
Jan 15, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

The STALKER universe doesn't have "women" in it. Men reproduce by inseminating mud in a joyless asexual exercise.

Thread title right here.

NEED TOILET PAPER
Mar 22, 2013

by XyloJW

Missing Name posted:

:smith:f course there's a fix for that

Well, at least it's not only American modders who try to throw tits into everything :nexus:

But why the hell would you replace Owl, that man was plenty sexy on his own <:mad:>

NEED TOILET PAPER
Mar 22, 2013

by XyloJW

He's so pretty :sparkles:

Anyone here know much about Dead City for CoP? I'm playing through it now and drat are some parts trippy. I was walking along the southern path of Zaton (the one that runs form the Merc base to the Circus Anomaly until the Iron Forest anomaly) when suddenly I hear this weird noise like a bloodsucker attacking. I flip out expecting a mutant attack when suddenly I'm engulfed in flames. So I decide that wherever I am is a bad place to be and dash for some NPCs relaxing next to the Circus. Nothing else happens, so I decide to go on my way. Soon as I'm back on the path, something explodes from under me, and as I'm using a first aid kit there's a second explosion that kills me dead.* I reload from my last save, and it turns out Dead City randomly has this weather condition where broad daylight turns dark as night with massive thunderstorms, howls, and screams--as well as balls of electrical energy randomly exploding in the sky.

Russian modders don't gently caress around :stonklol:

*Does anybody know what the hell was up with that? I figure I ran into an anomaly and some landmines, but part of me wants to believe that there's some hosed-up mutant out there that will wreck your poo poo.

JackMackerel
Jun 15, 2011

NEED TOILET PAPER posted:

Well, at least it's not only American modders who try to throw tits into everything :nexus:

But why the hell would you replace Owl, that man was plenty sexy on his own <:mad:>

:wtc: Seriously, though, there was a girl in Stalker Supermod that wasn't some super-sexualized thing (lazy port of the HL2 female rebel with forest camo skinning) and had a customized P90 that autofired shotgun shells, and I remember picking up a bandit PDA that details girlfriends in the Zone.

How do I remove the random damage/missed bullets thing from ZRP? It seems like emptying a magazine at point-blank range into a bandit just staggers them.

JackMackerel fucked around with this message at 04:43 on Jul 24, 2014

the bsd boys
Aug 8, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 395 days!
Are there any freeroam mods for Lost Alpha that remove the requirement to get to certain points in the story before you can travel to certain areas?

staberind
Feb 20, 2008

but i dont wanna be a spaceship
Fun Shoe
I suspect they would not be populated with anything, you could have a seperate freeplay install and just set all of the missions to completed?

buglord
Jul 31, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!
Buglord
It seems like all my nightmares/creepy strange dreams are Stalker flavored. I've had one about racing to a barn and hiding there trying to wait out an emission, one about living on that ship in Zaton going to war against bandits and their snorks, and the most recent one where I was shopping at our local mall at midnight (???) and being attacked by a Controller. I actually ended up getting a migraine later that day after I had woken up which was sort of a cool but afternoon ruining touch. I've only had about 250 hours combined of Stalker games, I figure thats a little early for dreams. While all of those nightmares suck, they are really cool in hindsight.

OregonDonor
Mar 12, 2010
This is probably a really dumb question, but is there a relatively simple way to make npcs in the Waste Processing Station respawn? Or just periodically reoccupied by mercs or something. Similarly, is there a way to make all bandits in Zaton hostile to you? I'm playing Arsenal Overhaul with the Pripyat Reborn mod, and it's fantastic, but CoP's world still isn't quite dynamic enough for me. That's really my only complaint about the game in comparison to, say, SoC (especially with OGSE--the radio message system is great).

OregonDonor fucked around with this message at 18:39 on Jul 26, 2014

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house
My nightmares involving stalker are along the lines of a feature I took weeks perfecting turning out to not work at all :v:

I have legitimately dreamed about that.

I've found a document on my Google drive which is sort of a walk through / design brief of my mod. Still no huge updates on the 'getting a new PC' front at the moment due to family stuff. Would people like to read it? I figure that the upcoming OGSE is going to make a lot of my work largely redundant anyway.

Cantorsdust
Aug 10, 2008

Infinitely many points, but zero length.

Ddraig posted:

My nightmares involving stalker are along the lines of a feature I took weeks perfecting turning out to not work at all :v:

I have legitimately dreamed about that.

I've found a document on my Google drive which is sort of a walk through / design brief of my mod. Still no huge updates on the 'getting a new PC' front at the moment due to family stuff. Would people like to read it? I figure that the upcoming OGSE is going to make a lot of my work largely redundant anyway.

The OGSE people have stated that 0693 is going to be their last version. See what comes out, and you should be free to implement whatever is left without interference.

your evil twin
Aug 23, 2010

"What we're dealing with...
is us! Those things look just like us!"

"Speak for yourself, I couldn't look that bad on a bet."
I'd love to read your design brief / walkthrough.

Synnr
Dec 30, 2009
Greetings, Survivor!
You’ve been selected as a closed-beta-test participant for the MMOFPS Survarium from Vostok Games. Congratulations!

Guess I'll get to see what they've done with themselves later.

Bolow
Feb 27, 2007

Synnr posted:

Greetings, Survivor!
You’ve been selected as a closed-beta-test participant for the MMOFPS Survarium from Vostok Games. Congratulations!

Guess I'll get to see what they've done with themselves later.

The netcode is loving atrocious right now, and you'll get randomly rolled by russian hackers but it has potential. Also killing dudes with a 30-30 Winchester is pretty cool

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

It's actually the case that all their servers are currently hosted out of Russia. They're planning an "international beta test" but they need to find some international server hosts first. It's fun for what it is, which is a very basic arena shooter, but probably not worth getting into yet for most people.

see you tomorrow
Jun 27, 2009

Tried the beta out, doesn't seem that great. In fact the only interesting thing about it is how it looks kind of like STALKER but all that does is remind you that it's missing most of the stuff that made STALKER cool. No one is going to play that game when it comes out. No one on the entire planet is seriously jonesing for russian f2p call of duty.

Roman
Aug 8, 2002

So the beta is just PvP? I'll pass on that.

A new PvE set up like Destiny where you randomly meet other players in the world would be amazing though.

Roman fucked around with this message at 13:02 on Jul 27, 2014

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

Well I'm going to dispel some of the negativity that's thrown at Survarium haphazardly. I played a few matches last night to see where it was at currently. Goons are far too dismissive of it without giving it a fair chance.

The game is actually much more like STALKER than you might initially think. Literally the only things from STALKER that are not in Survarium yet are emissions, which are currently in development as storms; and PvE, which is their next big release goal after the international open beta. Everything else from the STALKER series has already worked its way into Survarium, including anomalies, artifacts, factions (even down to not-Loners, not-Bandits, not-Duty and not-Freedom), inventory management, and of course a very nice selection of Warsaw pact weaponry. One of my favourite little nods to STALKER is how you always spawn at a campfire.

It's easy to scoff at the whole "nature taking over the zone" premise of the game since it does indeed sound dumb. But one thing I noticed is that it actually brings a nice element of colour to the zone, which is sorely missing from most STALKER iterations, and most games in general. Not only does it make levels look fantastic, the varied vegetation and terrain make for great level designs too. It's also easy to dismiss the current arena-type game mode, but the radio capture is legitimately fun, although it has the usual caveat of pubbies not knowing to play the objective.

Not only does the game look great, it feels great too (barring current latency issues). The gunplay feels fantastic, and although it doesn't have some of the more technical nuances like lean, prone, and free aim, it feels a lot like Red Orchestra. It even has the breath mechanic straight from RO2, which makes it difficult to aim if you're out of breath. It also has locational damage, even with temporal immobility. At one point I was shot in the legs with a Mosin and I collapsed and couldn't move. (Deus Ex anyone?) And on that note, your starting weaponry is WWII Russian surplus, I like that.

I know it's a bit dumb to praise the leveling up system they have going on, but it works. You level up by winning matches and completing in-match personal objectives. The new driving game The Crew is doing something similar with the personal objectives in that it will give you objectives when you’re just driving from point A to point B. This mechanic makes a huge mitigation of the fatigue that the typical mundane grinding will give you, and something I really like about both games. You get these personal objectives as jobs from which ever faction you’re representing, and you rep a faction by wearing their gear.

Something else to note is how well done the interface is done for between matches, where you do your levelling up, inventory management, etc. The interface reminds me of War Thunder in that at first it seems like a lot, but once you start to figure out all the aspects of the game, you really appreciate the thought that went into the design of the interface. There is still the token fiddliness you should expect, this is the STALKER devs after all.

Anytime I log in, there are thousands of players in hundreds of matches (granted most of them Russian, for obvious reasons), to say that no one wants to play it is a bit naive. Even if Survarium did stick to just PvP (it won't), you honestly think no one in the world would want to play a STALKER themed F2P "call of duty"? I think something like that would absolutely flourish in eastern markets, which kind of explains why Vostok prioritized that part of the game to get it to market. (Also developing gameplay features is a lot easier to manage in discrete environments such as PvP matches.)

All that being said however, the game in its current state is PvP only. If you have an aversion to PvP, stay away and come back when they’re releasing the freeplay gamemode. I will also reiterate that currently they only host servers out of Russia, which makes the latency worse than trying to play Battlefield 1942 on a 56k connection if you’re trying to play from the Americas. So although it’s fun enough for me to wade through the terrible latency, I really recommend waiting for the international beta test. The game has a ways to go, but it has promise.

your evil twin
Aug 23, 2010

Yeah I've really enjoyed Survarium. And I too got a Red Orchestra vibe - rather than "STALKER meets COD" it felt like "STALKER meets Red Orchestra".

And I love the levels and environments. The plot listed on the website of nature going nuts all over the world is... a bit nuts, but you can easily just pretend it is "the Zone has expanded to cover the whole world".

Perhaps the internet lag is worse in the US, but I live in the UK, and it wasn't too bad. Except during the one day open beta event they did a while back, the lag became so bad it was genuinely funny, with everyone teleporting backwards and forwards or running into walls. But on an ordinary day, I have found it to be decently playable.

Bolow
Feb 27, 2007

your evil twin posted:

Yeah I've really enjoyed Survarium. And I too got a Red Orchestra vibe - rather than "STALKER meets COD" it felt like "STALKER meets Red Orchestra".

And I love the levels and environments. The plot listed on the website of nature going nuts all over the world is... a bit nuts, but you can easily just pretend it is "the Zone has expanded to cover the whole world".

Perhaps the internet lag is worse in the US, but I live in the UK, and it wasn't too bad. Except during the one day open beta event they did a while back, the lag became so bad it was genuinely funny, with everyone teleporting backwards and forwards or running into walls. But on an ordinary day, I have found it to be decently playable.

Playing from the US East Coast the lag is border line intolerable. Anytime I fire there's a slight delay before I fire and then it won't stop firing for a few moments, it's actually impossible for me to not fire both barrels of a shotgun in one click. That's on top of everyone teleporting a few feet every few seconds.

Barring that glaring issue it's actually pretty good

Synnr
Dec 30, 2009
Well I played it a bit. Latency doesn't seem to big of a problem late at night from EST, though it seems like shotguns would be a go-to if I could figure out why I can't buy them/gain faction points after joining the scavengers. Can't find a mention of it in the forums there at all, but it occasionally just keeps hanging my computer up for ~45 seconds (especially in the launcher) and will fail to give me back my dude after a round about half the time. Time to do some reports I guess! If they care, anyway. I think I would definitely enjoy it more if it was a bigger pve/pvp thing like dayz sort of has going on.

Also the russians are pretty hilarious when they realize you aren't and start spamming broken english at you.

Bolow
Feb 27, 2007

Synnr posted:

Well I played it a bit. Latency doesn't seem to big of a problem late at night from EST, though it seems like shotguns would be a go-to if I could figure out why I can't buy them/gain faction points after joining the scavengers. Can't find a mention of it in the forums there at all, but it occasionally just keeps hanging my computer up for ~45 seconds (especially in the launcher) and will fail to give me back my dude after a round about half the time. Time to do some reports I guess! If they care, anyway. I think I would definitely enjoy it more if it was a bigger pve/pvp thing like dayz sort of has going on.

Also the russians are pretty hilarious when they realize you aren't and start spamming broken english at you.

You need to complete missions to earn loyalty points or whatever for that faction. The double barrel TOZ is like the second rank iirc?

Synnr
Dec 30, 2009
Yeah I get that, it just doesn't seem to actually complete the missions at the end or something. Or maybe I gotta do something to turn them in and I'm missing it.

Still, bitch to play when it locks up like it has been for me.

e; well then, logged in and it gave me all my completed missions and match rewards. I like the random chance of store cash items, which you can sell off for ingame silver.

Synnr fucked around with this message at 01:43 on Jul 30, 2014

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

Before I kept running into the issue of not being able to return from a match, but that seems to have gone away, albeit there's always a bit of a delay for the lobby to grab all the match information. Restarting the game seems to get over those type of inter-match hiccups though, same solution if the game forgets to give you new missions, or doesn't level you up, etc.

I ran into a pretty funny situation the other night due to the language barrier. A Russian player kept TKing me from spawn and would spam the chat with what I can only assume were accusations of me being a TKer, so the entire team was TKing me convinced I was this TKer. Since it was impossible for me to leave spawn without being TKed I just played ball, letting it devolve into the whole team just TKing eachother in hysteria.

Synnr
Dec 30, 2009
Did you say anything in english? I had a couple rounds where 2 or 3 russian guys on my team were shooting me on sight after I said a few helpful (guys over on southside, guys on base) things or was delivering parts. Since the matches don't seem to end when parts get filled up I dunno why they killed me over that, but wutevs.

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

I typed the only Russian word I know when he first TKed me: Durak. :v: Generally I just don't bother with communication because I just assume they won't be able to understand me. Interestingly the lobby chat is automatically divided up by languages, so you can atleast vent about Russians in unison there.

I have noticed some scumbag low-levellers that will just TK you and steal your battery to make the cap, but they're not too common.

Jehde fucked around with this message at 06:24 on Jul 30, 2014

Nails
Oct 29, 2004

MALIGNANTLY USELESS
I was just reading the thread, looking for information for mods to run SOC for the first time, and I saw Zone Reclamation Project and the MAXShaders mentioned. So I grabbed both of those, played for a while last night, and was still thinking "Man, some of these textures seem pretty old." Then I was reading further into the thread, and saw it mentioned that ZRP doesn't really do much to the textures. I saw Photorealistic Zone Project (and the second version) mentioned, so I grabbed PRZ2 and dumped all of the textures into the texture folder in gamedata. Game wouldn't run anymore. Is it the case that ZRP doesn't play nice with texture packs? Or should I just use the original PRZ? It would be cool to play the game with fancier textures, but I'm totally new to modding because I just got a new laptop after 10 years of using a macbook, so I have no idea what the gently caress I'm doing. I just figured PRZ2 would be the best to go with, since it was newer. Any advice on the subject would be greatly appreciated.

Thank You Card
Mar 20, 2007

I'm your only friend.
While I don't know if those two mods are meant to play well together, most mods tend not to play nice together unless said mods are made specifically to do so. You might have to go and use PRZ2 without any texture mods.

Nails
Oct 29, 2004

MALIGNANTLY USELESS
I managed to get the Absolute texture mods working with ZRP and the shaders. I'm guessing PRZ2 looks nicer, but that's okay. It's a total pain in the rear end to download because it's like 2GBs in size, and broken into 4 parts, versus the absolute mods being significantly smaller. Still looks nice though. If anyone else runs into the same issue, I think the order in which you install them is pretty important. This go around, I did textures, ZRP, and then shaders, and that seemed to do the trick. I don't know if that'd work for PRZ2 though.

Robot Randy
Dec 31, 2011

by Lowtax
someone post the the misery 2.0 pooping vid

staberind
Feb 20, 2008

but i dont wanna be a spaceship
Fun Shoe
Whelp, Survarium got around to sending me the beta invite, I suppose I had better macro my keyboard to spam russian insults now and then to aid survival of the shittiest.
We have until Q3 2014, aka, now, to get territory.

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house
So those of you who were interested, here's the sort of work in progress version of the Cordon that I did a mini walk through as I was designing it.

http://pastebin.com/PURJ8y6f

It's a bit of a pain in the rear end to pull this info from me phone on Google drive so I'll grab the rest for most of the other areas on Monday.

MadBimber
Dec 31, 2006

Ddraig posted:

So those of you who were interested, here's the sort of work in progress version of the Cordon that I did a mini walk through as I was designing it.

http://pastebin.com/PURJ8y6f

It's a bit of a pain in the rear end to pull this info from me phone on Google drive so I'll grab the rest for most of the other areas on Monday.

You've put an incredible amount of work into Cordon. It sounds pretty fun and entertaining, what with actual quest variation and multiple threads to follow, based on NPCs' attitudes. That said, for the unmarked quests, do you really suppose many people will find/finish them? STALKER is about exploration, that is true, but I think a lot of us probably have blinders on, having played through the game so many times now.

your evil twin
Aug 23, 2010

It is fantastic! The only thing that seems questionable to me is that less than 5% chance that a Stalker will shoot down the helicopter with an RPG. Even if someone replayed your mod 3 times it is likely they would never see that happen. And since it has consequences like needing to defend the village, and then some extra quests being opened up... really weird to have it be something so rare.

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house
The unmarked quests do have several hints as to where they start. The laptop, for example, is explicitly mentioned in the checkpoint commander's notes if you kill him. There are a few things that people would likely never know about unless they try them. Like, you can end the game with a special ending if you get to the border in the Cordon and choose to leave the Zone. You can do this right at the start of the game.

MadBimber
Dec 31, 2006
While searching for Lost Alpha mods, I happened upon the STALKER subreddit (I know....)

http://www.reddit.com/r/stalker/

First link is your shoe story Ddraig. Someone plagiarizing you?

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house
To be fair I sort of stole it from Red Dwarf so it's not as if it's a completely original creation

I have never posted on reddit and never will

I really wanted to do a better nate than lever one but that's too well known. I'm a huge spergy stalker fanboy so I've written hundreds of similar little stories that are included in TD.

Rush Limbo fucked around with this message at 21:48 on Aug 4, 2014

frank.club
Jan 15, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

MadBimber posted:

While searching for Lost Alpha mods, I happened upon the STALKER subreddit (I know....)

http://www.reddit.com/r/stalker/

First link is your shoe story Ddraig. Someone plagiarizing you?

I'm surprised that doesn't go to a darker place.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house
Yes when I think of reddit and the word stalker niche FPS games isn't the first thing that springs to mind