Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

nexus6
Sep 2, 2011

If only you could see what I've seen with your eyes
I've just built a new PC and I've got the urge to play STALKER again. I've played all of them several times so I'm looking for something to give me a new experience, but perhaps not something as punishing as Misery. What's everyone else playing at the moment?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harminoff
Oct 24, 2005

👽

Literal Nazi Furry posted:

Play it vanilla and save mods for future playthroughs, imo.

May I ask why? Reading the op, it seems like that is just fixing bugs and issues that would be annoying playing vanilla. I was also looking at graphic mods which I don't think could really effect gameplay...

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house
Zone Reclamation Project is barely a mod. It's basically an extensive bugfix patch with a few quality of life features that you may or may not want to enable.

1.0005/1.0006 fixed a few problems but there was still a ton and ZRP fixes all of them. Also optimizes the game greatly.

Harminoff
Oct 24, 2005

👽

Ddraig posted:

Zone Reclamation Project is barely a mod. It's basically an extensive bugfix patch with a few quality of life features that you may or may not want to enable.

1.0005/1.0006 fixed a few problems but there was still a ton and ZRP fixes all of them. Also optimizes the game greatly.

That was my thought after reading your op. So I got that and then like I said some graphics mods as well. I have the next 3-4 weeks off work so look forward to spending a bit of time playing this game!

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Just playing Misery for the first time. Found some cocaine, a copy of Mein Kampf, and a glucose shot. This mod loving owns.

Robot Randy
Dec 31, 2011

by Lowtax
In TFW is it possible to find a person who upgrades stuff outside your faction?

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

There's a lot of teeth and mein kampfs going around the zone. I'm not sure where they come from.

I finished misery 2.0 as USS sniper so I started over as USS recon, this time without Rookie Mode (Les Miserables does so much to make this mod tolerable it's incredible). It's pretty cool how much is different about your starting gear actually. Recon starts with a gas mask, binoculars, detector and silencer, all things which the sniper doesn't (although his starting weapons are considerably worse). You also start in a different place. Which happens to be right next to the mercenary station by the dam. Sooo I got a little greedy and had to quickload almost as many times as there were mercs but rolled into the Skadovsk with a VSS sniper, containers + artifacts, and enough trash to sell to end up with ten times the money you start with. So it's been going a little better than my sniper start all told.

Stunt_enby
Feb 6, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Robot Randy posted:

In TFW is it possible to find a person who upgrades stuff outside your faction?
The guy at the neutral base in the Garbage will upgrade anything, but he charges really high prices. They might change with loner reputation, but I'm just guessing that.

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

Harminoff posted:

May I ask why? Reading the op, it seems like that is just fixing bugs and issues that would be annoying playing vanilla. I was also looking at graphic mods which I don't think could really effect gameplay...

I've been playing with Autumn Aurora and it's really solid. It combines Zone Reclamation Project, Absolute Nature, Atmosfear, some new models, sounds, guns, etc. with a great installer that takes care of the grass fix, fov fix, 4gb patch, and ENB so that you're all set to go after installing it on a fresh SoC and it looks really nice. It's a really good vanilla+ experience imo without adding a bunch of broken new poo poo for difficulty (which means it does feel really easy after a misery playthrough). What it does add mechanically (new artifact/detector mechanics and blowouts) is done intuitively enough that I'd feel comfortable recommending it for a first playthrough even.

poverty goat fucked around with this message at 04:43 on Dec 16, 2014

Literal Nazi Furry
Jan 27, 2008

Swastika - Helvetica - Ikea
Last night I dreamt of Adolf searching for Anne.
I lay on my back
standing alone in the corner watching the girls dance.

I'm on crystal meth.
I piss in my pants.
Only mod I'd really recommend for a first playthrough is just http://stalker.gamebanana.com/skins/75921

Harminoff posted:

The base game is really solid and unique as it stands without needing to be modded to be a very enjoyable experience. It's worth a run through first to see what you'd like to be changed for consecutive playthroughs.

Literal Nazi Furry fucked around with this message at 06:00 on Dec 16, 2014

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Gestalt Intellect posted:

There's a lot of teeth and mein kampfs going around the zone. I'm not sure where they come from.

I finished misery 2.0 as USS sniper so I started over as USS recon, this time without Rookie Mode (Les Miserables does so much to make this mod tolerable it's incredible). It's pretty cool how much is different about your starting gear actually. Recon starts with a gas mask, binoculars, detector and silencer, all things which the sniper doesn't (although his starting weapons are considerably worse). You also start in a different place. Which happens to be right next to the mercenary station by the dam. Sooo I got a little greedy and had to quickload almost as many times as there were mercs but rolled into the Skadovsk with a VSS sniper, containers + artifacts, and enough trash to sell to end up with ten times the money you start with. So it's been going a little better than my sniper start all told.

That loving merc encampment is fun as gently caress to take out now. Motherfuckers love to sling grenade launcher grenades at me though.

I started as Assaulter, and its kinda weird. You start in a corner of a warehouse, and are kinda stuck if you gently caress up a box's placement and cant jump a fence. Unless you run through an anomaly I guess, but I dunno.

I'm using a .45 with Hydro Shock ammo and double-tapping Fleshes, cooking em, and then selling what I can for cash. Got an L85A2 from the Merc camp, fully repaired. This mod is so loving good. Had a few crashes though so far, but nothing game-stopping.

nexus6
Sep 2, 2011

New video from Gunslinger mod: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GhhmUgs_-Mk

Michaellaneous
Oct 30, 2013

Is there any guide on how to install gunslinger and misery together? Gunslinger seems to be only in russian, unless I am missing something.

Damegane
May 7, 2013

I know it's not the point of the video, but the gun and its animations look so good.

nexus6
Sep 2, 2011

Damegane posted:

I know it's not the point of the video, but the gun and its animations look so good.

I believe that's the main focus of the mod though, the gun models and animations.

Xerxes17
Feb 17, 2011

That looks awesome as gently caress.

MadBimber
Dec 31, 2006

Is this all one modder? I feel like I should throw him a little cash if he ever releases the mod, those models and animations are really good.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

I think it's one person organizing and putting everything together yes, but on his pages for individual weapons he has credits to other people for various parts like models sometimes.

Everything he's posted looks awesome but it will probably be a really long time before anything final is released at the pace it's been going.

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house
That controller thing is amazing because he's figured how to disable the tube attack. I had my own ideas for controllers but the tube thing makes them annoying to implement.

Those animations are badass, though. I'd like to see what happens with 2 handed weapons like rifles/shotguns.

LordLeckie
Nov 14, 2009

That looks fantastic, sounds really good as well its a pity the music listed in the description doesnt bring up any hits because it really set the mood.

Literal Nazi Furry
Jan 27, 2008

Swastika - Helvetica - Ikea
Last night I dreamt of Adolf searching for Anne.
I lay on my back
standing alone in the corner watching the girls dance.

I'm on crystal meth.
I piss in my pants.

Ddraig posted:

That controller thing is amazing because he's figured how to disable the tube attack. I had my own ideas for controllers but the tube thing makes them annoying to implement.

Those animations are badass, though. I'd like to see what happens with 2 handed weapons like rifles/shotguns.

There aren't any two handed animations for suicide. You just switch to your knife if you're holding a 2 handed weapon or any of the "non-weapons" like bolts, binoculars, grenades, etc.

Robot Randy
Dec 31, 2011

by Lowtax
I hope that there's a .44 revolver so I can live out my Bud Dwyer RP to the fullest extent

Monolith.
Jan 28, 2011

To save the world from the expanding Zone.
The Gunslinger mod is everything I want out of this game. Controller suicide is pretty weird but it does make sense.

Also, lol at "tube attack". I never thought of it like that.

fennesz
Dec 29, 2008

Speaking of new animations I remember there was a video posted a long time ago (like a year) that ported CS and Metro animations into CoP. Did that ever happen?

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house

Monolith. posted:

The Gunslinger mod is everything I want out of this game. Controller suicide is pretty weird but it does make sense.

Also, lol at "tube attack". I never thought of it like that.

It's literally what it's referred to as in the game files.

Vorenus
Jul 14, 2013

fennesz posted:

Speaking of new animations I remember there was a video posted a long time ago (like a year) that ported CS and Metro animations into CoP. Did that ever happen?

IIRC SGM ported the Metro Librarian into CoP but other than that I'm unaware.

Gonna sperg about SGM a bit, the Geonezis add-on is not only very stable (~12 hours of play, only two crashes, no glitches) but it also adds a LOT of new missions and storyline. The all-in-one translator claims it's at least eight hours of gameplay to get the keys for the choppers, I'd estimate it to be quite more unless you know what you're doing and at least half-assedly speedrunning it. The cool thing is, all that extra stuff is fun and well-implemented.

The only part that is rough is the economy - it's not a horrible grind, but you can't just make a quick 50k off of an Alpha Squad anymore. On top of that, Alpha Squads are tougher than I remember from 2.1 and 2.2, and while kiting them is the easiest method of dealing with them, more often than not you'll end up aggroing another squad. I tried to pull the squad from Yanov, from the area between the center and the Cement Factory, and ended up holed up in Zulu's tower with three or four squads sitting outside.

Also that Gunslinger mod looks incredibly awesome. Hopefully Ddraig can use the controller code once it's released.

Mystic Stylez
Dec 19, 2009

LordLeckie posted:

That looks fantastic, sounds really good as well its a pity the music listed in the description doesnt bring up any hits because it really set the mood.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=luxV0wBvuIQ&t=1652s

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Doing coke in Yannov station and listening to the radio while jerking my head rapidly up and down at about 35 degrees during an Emission.

I'm a loving great Roleplayer.

quote:

The only part that is rough is the economy - it's not a horrible grind, but you can't just make a quick 50k off of an Alpha Squad anymore. On top of that, Alpha Squads are tougher than I remember from 2.1 and 2.2, and while kiting them is the easiest method of dealing with them, more often than not you'll end up aggroing another squad. I tried to pull the squad from Yanov, from the area between the center and the Cement Factory, and ended up holed up in Zulu's tower with three or four squads sitting outside.

Halved the prices for ammo in MISERY due to this poo poo too. I'm a baddie :(

Dandywalken fucked around with this message at 04:06 on Dec 18, 2014

LordLeckie
Nov 14, 2009

Huh didnt expect that. Thankyou!

nexus6
Sep 2, 2011

Vorenus posted:

Gonna sperg about SGM a bit, the Geonezis add-on is not only very stable (~12 hours of play, only two crashes, no glitches) but it also adds a LOT of new missions and storyline. The all-in-one translator claims it's at least eight hours of gameplay to get the keys for the choppers, I'd estimate it to be quite more unless you know what you're doing and at least half-assedly speedrunning it. The cool thing is, all that extra stuff is fun and well-implemented.

Is this an addon for 2.1/2.2? Is there an all-in-one? Basically I'm asking how do I get this?

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

Didn't see anyone mention it, but development on Lost Alpha is continuing again. The version that's out now was rushed out due to leaks, so all those fancy huge new maps were pretty empty and hollow. Oh, and bugs. Plenty of bugs.

The Director's Cut version (as they're calling it) is going to have full A-life stuff happening across all the major open-world areas. Apparently higher spawn density and more varied creature picks than the original game, for more mutant-on-mutant fighting. They're also working on bringing CoP's weapon upgrade system over. Could be interesting. They've also got the full SDK and 100 unfinished prototype maps bundled with it, so it should be easier to expand than any other STALKER game once they're done.

nexus6
Sep 2, 2011

Sounds good, I always enjoyed Lost Alpha, except for the mindless backtracking, but there appears to be a lot of hate for it. Perhaps I just haven't played far enough into it?

NEED TOILET PAPER
Mar 22, 2013

by XyloJW

nexus6 posted:

Sounds good, I always enjoyed Lost Alpha, except for the mindless backtracking, but there appears to be a lot of hate for it. Perhaps I just haven't played far enough into it?

I haven't played Lost Alpha much, but it seems most of the grievances are backtracking, bugs, and a pretty crappy plot. The second should be getting taken care of in the Director's Cut, the first should be made a bit more interesting with the increased mutant spawns, but whether the third will be dealt with remains to be seen.

Sphrin
Apr 13, 2012
Hell if they fix the first two you can easily skip most of the cut scenes which are the really terrible and off putting parts of the plot. Just the A-Life system will be great the current version feels is decent it just doesn't produce the stories that you expect from a stalker game due to the empty maps.

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house
That must me what the major patch they were talking about on some Russian forums was all about. Ap-pro has a big thread about the "Director's Cut" but I assume that was a fan project.

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Is SGM pretty much "I like STALKER, so I want more STALKER" rather than adding a ton of weird new stuff? I cant remember if I've played it or not, but my gut feeling is yes.

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house
Depends what version you get really. The Geonezis version is really, really good. It varies hugely in quality and features in the various different releases.

Swiddlefiddler
Jul 3, 2011
Wheres a decent place to download Geonezis from? Tried finding it last night and whatever version I grabbed started you off talking to some dude while three bloodsuckers were running around, you'd just get constantly dragged into a conversation while they were busy mauling you to death.
Needless to say I think I downloaded the wrong thing.

NEED TOILET PAPER
Mar 22, 2013

by XyloJW

Swiddlefiddler posted:

Wheres a decent place to download Geonezis from? Tried finding it last night and whatever version I grabbed started you off talking to some dude while three bloodsuckers were running around, you'd just get constantly dragged into a conversation while they were busy mauling you to death.
Needless to say I think I downloaded the wrong thing.

http://www.moddb.com/members/davidme

This guy does TONS of Russian mod translations, so I've kept his page bookmarked for a long time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MadBimber
Dec 31, 2006
I keep reading "geo nazis" and it doesn't seem out of place in a STALKER mod discussion