Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house
Not sure where the helmet is from (Halo? No fuckin' way)

The body armor is definitely from Metro, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

staberind
Feb 20, 2008

but i dont wanna be a spaceship
Fun Shoe
What would be nice, is for your character to wear facemasks or helmets that don't replace or fully cover the head, similarly having the scientific visors also semi transparent so people wearing them have faces.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO
Playing Arsenal Overhaul 3, anyone else not able to get FOV to 75*?

v1ld
Apr 16, 2012

A talented Russian modder named Dennis_Chikin made some optimizations to _g.script that significantly speed up load times for the NS, DMX, & Joint Pack mods. I tested against DMX 1.3.2 dkz02 and Joint Pak 1 and it's silly how much faster the game loads from optimizing that script.

I've uploaded it to moddb. Give it a shot if you're playing any soup variant. Back up gamedata\scripts\_g.script.script first if you wish to be careful.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?

Oberleutnant posted:

Looks too poor (in terms of model quality) and too futuristic to be from Metro, but I never completed the second Metro game, so maybe.

Yeah, no idea where the helmet is from but the armor looks like something from Metro.

Man, I loved seeing the Spartan Ranger suit in Misery.

VStraken
Oct 27, 2013

v1ld posted:

A talented Russian modder named Dennis_Chikin made some optimizations to _g.script that significantly speed up load times for the NS, DMX, & Joint Pack mods. I tested against DMX 1.3.2 dkz02 and Joint Pak 1 and it's silly how much faster the game loads from optimizing that script.

I've uploaded it to moddb. Give it a shot if you're playing any soup variant. Back up gamedata\scripts\_g.script.script first if you wish to be careful.

This has been going pretty well, it's managed to cut loading times for certain levels by at least a minute or two on my potato. However I've started running into another problem, I'm not sure whether or not it is related to these optimized scripts or not - I'm on the third mission for Akim, where you collect the second set of documents (the ones you grab from Agroprom underground), and it crashes as I try to turn it in to him. I start talking to him just fine, then I get to the line where I say something like "I have some extra brains to lend you", and after I click on that it crashes. This is what I got from pasting into an empty .txt after the crash:

Expression : fatal error
Function : CScriptEngine::lua_error
File : E:\stalker\sources\trunk\xr_3da\xrGame\script_engine.cpp
Line : 73
Description : <no expression>
Arguments : LUA error: ... shadow of chernobyl\gamedata\scripts\dialogs.script:110: attempt to index global 'quest_section' (a nil value)

EDIT: it is indeed the (or one of) new scripts, I removed both of them and the quest went through without incident - on top of that, it seems the error also occurs if you try to give unique weapons to Vitek Voron (the weapons dealer by the hangar in the Garbage).

VStraken fucked around with this message at 09:55 on Sep 3, 2015

v1ld
Apr 16, 2012

VStraken posted:

Expression : fatal error
Function : CScriptEngine::lua_error
File : E:\stalker\sources\trunk\xr_3da\xrGame\script_engine.cpp
Line : 73
Description : <no expression>
Arguments : LUA error: ... shadow of chernobyl\gamedata\scripts\dialogs.script:110: attempt to index global 'quest_section' (a nil value)

EDIT: it is indeed the (or one of) new scripts, I removed both of them and the quest went through without incident - on top of that, it seems the error also occurs if you try to give unique weapons to Vitek Voron (the weapons dealer by the hangar in the Garbage).

Yeah, the new script removes ammo_section and quest_section. I'll add those back into the version I uploaded.

Edit: new version with those tables has been uploaded.

v1ld fucked around with this message at 14:07 on Sep 3, 2015

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO
What's this all about?

Lamprey Cannon
Jul 23, 2011

by exmarx

MariusLecter posted:

What's this all about?

Looks like it's been frozen in some kind of time anomaly; another one lost to the Zone.

rejutka
May 28, 2004

by zen death robot
The military has been negated frozen by UN sanctions, LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOT!

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO
Liking Arsenal Overhaul spawn changes where zombies come in big herds.

There was another group of six further up where you start the vanilla game.

VStraken
Oct 27, 2013

v1ld posted:

Yeah, the new script removes ammo_section and quest_section. I'll add those back into the version I uploaded.

Edit: new version with those tables has been uploaded.

This works, thanks a bunch!

A warning to anyone playing the Dmx mod, after going to lab x18 there's a stupid as gently caress quest where your pda breaks and you have to go to the barman. It removes your hud but that's not the stupid part-you also can't keep your inventory open, it will kick you out less than a second after you hit the button. I think it's triggered when you go near the transition from cordon to garbage. Hope you're not overburdened when it happens...

staberind
Feb 20, 2008

but i dont wanna be a spaceship
Fun Shoe

VStraken posted:

This works, thanks a bunch!

A warning to anyone playing the Dmx mod, after going to lab x18 there's a stupid as gently caress quest where your pda breaks and you have to go to the barman. It removes your hud but that's not the stupid part-you also can't keep your inventory open, it will kick you out less than a second after you hit the button. I think it's triggered when you go near the transition from cordon to garbage. Hope you're not overburdened when it happens...

Its worth mentioning that its quest driven and your pda is fixed pronto.
But nice headsup, another reason to save often.

garth ferengi
Dec 20, 2009

What does arsenal overhaul do exactly?

Roobanguy
May 31, 2011

garth ferengi posted:

What does arsenal overhaul do exactly?

basically just a weapon overhaul. adds new ones and replaces models/animations for old ones.

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!
The main thing is more weapons, but it also has a bunch of smaller stuff in it like Atmosfear, variation mod, and your usual bug fixes. I think it's pretty much just meant to be a Vanilla+ experience, but I've really enjoyed it over the years.

Lamprey Cannon
Jul 23, 2011

by exmarx
So, recently, I've been playing Far Cry 2, and I have to say that it's the closest thing I've ever experienced to an American STALKER title. You've got a free-roaming world that is ridiculously hostile and deadly every step of the way, you've got a bar full of mercenary buddies who will give you missions and occasionally come to help you out, you've got an abundance of lovely and broken weapons that've been shipped in from the outside world, you've even got the artifact hunting in the form of gps-tagged cases of diamonds. I would give my left ear for a STALKER game using that engine, fire effects and all.

Lamprey Cannon fucked around with this message at 18:19 on Sep 7, 2015

drkeiscool
Aug 1, 2014
Soiled Meat
So, I'm trying to get into the Faction Wars mod for Clear Sky, and I was wondering if there were any tips? I guess I'm supposed to increase my faction rep, but what's the best way to that? Is there a best starting faction or something?

I just want to lead my faction to victory in claiming the Zone, but I don't know how to quickly join a faction.

Overwined
Sep 22, 2008

Wine can of their wits the wise beguile,
Make the sage frolic, and the serious smile.

Lamprey Cannon posted:

So, recently, I've been playing Far Cry 2, and I have to say that it's the closest thing I've ever experienced to an American STALKER title. You've got a free-roaming world that is ridiculously hostile and deadly every step of the way, you've got a bar full of mercenary buddies who will give you missions and occasionally come to help you out, you've got an abundance of lovely and broken weapons that've been shipped in from the outside world, you've even got the artifact hunting in the form of gps-tagged cases of diamonds. I would give my left ear for a STALKER game using that engine, fire effects and all.

I thought someone was doing literally that: porting Stalker (CoP, I believe) into the Far Cry engine.

A quick google shows me some news on porting Stalker to the Crysis engine. Moddb entry here. Don't get your hopes up, though. It was announced a few years ago and it appears nothing is going on.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Went to the Shooting Gallery in Orlando today to shoot some rental guns, and included a select fire AKM to get that Soviet feel on.

It accurately captured the feel of using a piece of poo poo AK that doesn't like you. The inside was visibly corroded, the magazine locking tabs were so worn that it didn't want to insert, at one point the bolt got stuck back, and it went full auto no matter what. In the end I brought it back with the bolt stuck forward and the selector lever unable to be pushed all the way up.

chitoryu12 fucked around with this message at 01:18 on Sep 8, 2015

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Overwined posted:

A quick google shows me some news on porting Stalker to the Crysis engine. Moddb entry here. Don't get your hopes up, though. It was announced a few years ago and it appears nothing is going on.
It's still alive, maybe, just in a different form. They were running into IP problems or something by using STALKER assets so they decided to go standalone, called their game Neya-7 then dialed down their ambitions and renamed it to Survenge. Nothing since May though. I offered to help localize it and they said to check back in July, but no response. :shrug:

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

:stare:
These people are monsters.

Also really like the Arsenal Overhaul changes to the rail gun.

The only draw back is the slower fire rate, I can't take out all the mercs and scientists at the meeting in Pripyat. But more grievous, I can't take out Monolith forces out as fast on the Evacuation mission and kept getting a 1 minute timer pop up because EVERYONE WAS DEAD before I could even set foot in the escape zone.

Welp, Kovalsky posthumously gets a medal and The Zone keeps it's secrets as Streloks blood soaks into the streets of Pripyat.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO
Just noticed, Sokolov didn't even make it out of the laundromat.

My guess is he tripped and face planted sending his nose bone into his brain.
Does this have to do with the 'Realistic Damage' optional?

Overwined
Sep 22, 2008

Wine can of their wits the wise beguile,
Make the sage frolic, and the serious smile.
Vodka is a hell of a drug.

Missing Name
Jan 5, 2013

Sometimes, the Zone kills your will to leave the safety of a boarded-up shack.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

I've hardly ever been able to keep all 4 of those clowns alive to the end. For some reason I often find their bodies out in the open far away from the safe zone, where presumably they got killed by an emission or one of misery's hundreds of one-shot mutants. Why they decided to silently leave home and ruin chances of a perfect ending, I will never know. I think I only ever managed it on my first playthrough, which was purely vanilla.

NEED TOILET PAPER
Mar 22, 2013

by XyloJW
Can anyone link me a good tutorial on porting things like weapons from other, non-STALKER games to COP?

e: while we're at it, does MISERY: the Armed Zone do anything to correct all the bullshit of Misery 2.0+?

NEED TOILET PAPER fucked around with this message at 21:05 on Sep 12, 2015

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

NEED TOILET PAPER posted:

e: while we're at it, does MISERY: the Armed Zone do anything to correct all the bullshit of Misery 2.0+?

Nope! :)

NeoSeeker
Nov 26, 2007

:spergin:ASK ME ABOUT MY TOTALLY REALISTIC ZIPLINE-BASED ZOMBIE SURVIVAL PLAN & HOW THE ZOMBIE SURVIVAL VIDEO GAME GENRE HAS BEEN "RAPED BY THE MAINSTREAM":spergin:
I just want to know if anyone is going to pounce on making a Call of Chernobyl: The Faction Wars mod.

Also have there been any new versions of the original TFW for Clear Sky released in the past 7 months or so? I've been gone for a while.

NeoSeeker fucked around with this message at 01:55 on Sep 15, 2015

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house
Call of Chernobyl has functionality to set smart_terrains to be "faction war" enabled.

So people can easily set up every smart to be battled over by every faction and have a huge, all out war in the zone.

I think COC has made The Faction Wars obsolete.

Swartz
Jul 28, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Speaking of Call of Chernobyl, they're nearing release. They want to release on ModDB first, but after that they're going to need some torrent seeders and I said you guys would likely help out.

Who's up for that?

v1ld
Apr 16, 2012

Swartz posted:

Speaking of Call of Chernobyl, they're nearing release. They want to release on ModDB first, but after that they're going to need some torrent seeders and I said you guys would likely help out.

Who's up for that?

Cool, I'd be happy to.

Fart Puzzle
Jul 25, 2007

compressed fart pieces

Ohh man, Call of Chernobyl + Arsenal Overhaul 3??? and you can make it pretty much the faction wars but across all the maps?! :getin:

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO
Made it to Pripyat and successfully obtained the unidentified weapon using the trench coat and the TT-33 and Mosin.

Really like that AO3 added an upgrade tree to the TT-33, used to be a pain when it would start jamming fairly quickly with no +% to reliability

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010
The headbob in Chernobyl is insane. Like several times higher then it should be.

Supposedly I need to go to the .ini and changed some settings to 0. However upon opening the .ini all those settings are already at 0.

What am I missing here?

v1ld
Apr 16, 2012

Rookersh posted:

The headbob in Chernobyl is insane. Like several times higher then it should be.

Supposedly I need to go to the .ini and changed some settings to 0. However upon opening the .ini all those settings are already at 0.

What am I missing here?

There are two settings that modify headbob, one directly and the other indirectly. Effectors.ltx in gamedata/config/misc has the direct headbob settings. User.ltx has cam_inert which indirectly reduces headbob but also changes all camera momentum.

I suggest halving or zeroing the 3 headbob settings in effectors.ltx and setting cam_inert to 0.32.

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010

v1ld posted:

There are two settings that modify headbob, one directly and the other indirectly. Effectors.ltx in gamedata/config/misc has the direct headbob settings. User.ltx has cam_inert which indirectly reduces headbob but also changes all camera momentum.

I suggest halving or zeroing the 3 headbob settings in effectors.ltx and setting cam_inert to 0.32.

Yeah, that fixed that issue.

Now I'm getting the widescreen shadow glitch. Fixed that by setting r2_sun_shadow_border to 1. But now shadows are super blurry if they aren't close to me/have to cache in as I walk past them. I'm guessing that's just the price I have to pay to get shadows working at all?

v1ld
Apr 16, 2012

Rookersh posted:

Yeah, that fixed that issue.

Now I'm getting the widescreen shadow glitch. Fixed that by setting r2_sun_shadow_border to 1. But now shadows are super blurry if they aren't close to me/have to cache in as I walk past them. I'm guessing that's just the price I have to pay to get shadows working at all?

Bump r2_sun_near to 20 for better detail. I think that's the parameter, Google it.

NeoSeeker
Nov 26, 2007

:spergin:ASK ME ABOUT MY TOTALLY REALISTIC ZIPLINE-BASED ZOMBIE SURVIVAL PLAN & HOW THE ZOMBIE SURVIVAL VIDEO GAME GENRE HAS BEEN "RAPED BY THE MAINSTREAM":spergin:

Swartz posted:

Who's up for that?

Sorry if I got in the test group but never responded. Kinda drifted away from stalker.

Also someone just make an awesome mod where it's just a giant sandbox where you can do/join whatever you want with battles constantly going on everywhere.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fart Puzzle
Jul 25, 2007

compressed fart pieces

Sounds like Call of Chernobyl to me!