Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Overwined
Sep 22, 2008

Wine can of their wits the wise beguile,
Make the sage frolic, and the serious smile.

Missing Name posted:

Please tell me he has a stash of some obscenely rare drug, and his PDA is the most cheerful thing you'll read in the Zone.

It's won't be a PDA as such. It'll be a piece of a plank with the letters PAD carved sloppily into the top.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Overwined
Sep 22, 2008

Acquire Currency! posted:

Who was the guy who took pictures of the inside of that place and how much lead did it take to bury him?

There's a really interesting documentary on YouTube about this (I'll see if I can dig it up). Basically a tiny team of scientists were tasked with being caretakers and fact-finders for many years. They actually made journeys underneath the core where all the radioactive slag is as well. They did this with a minimum of protection.

It was interesting, in a way they were like real life Stalkers. They talked about how certain parts of the reactor were "cold" having relatively little radioactivity and how you could walk a couple meters and suddenly get a lifetime's dose in a couple minutes. They said they were constantly creeping forward finding the safest route to the core. There's an interesting picture of one of these dudes standing on top of the core right next to the blown off lead cap.

Interestingly enough almost none of them died from radiation-related ailments. The ones who did (many are still alive) died mostly from heart attacks and strokes. They loving smoke like chimneys and drink vodka like there's no tomorrow because for them the certainty of "tomorrow" is a tenuous thing.

EDIT: Here's Part 1: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0JfUvN5BQWw

Watch the whole things. It's really fascinating.

Overwined fucked around with this message at 17:45 on Jan 30, 2014

Overwined
Sep 22, 2008

MadBimber posted:

"Borov's bong. It never stops smoking. 10,000 RU."

Not 420,420 RU?

Overwined
Sep 22, 2008

Finally got around to playing TFW mod and I really like it so far. Finally got enough rep to sign up with Freedom (because they're chill dudes). But poo poo, Bandits are loving everywhere. They have owned the entry zone to the Army Warehouses for ages and the northern exit to the zone always gets me killed by pseudodogs mindfucking me. Is this normal? I can sometimes sneak by to the Garbage, but it's a pain in the rear end.

Overwined
Sep 22, 2008

Ddraig posted:

I'm not even sure I have the things any more.

It was basically one of the item effects that would kick in after a random period after eating lovely food.

You would basically stand there, unable to move in the way that you do in Misery, accompanied by a ton of really terrible fart machine noises and then you died.

I was incredibly proud of it.

You should be. You should also release Misery: Director's Cut some day and include all this cool poo poo (hah).

Overwined
Sep 22, 2008

Saw this today and got a serious Stalker vibe from it:

http://www.businessinsider.com/abandoned-communist-headquarters-in-bulgaria-2015-5

What a cool location this would be to explore in a Stalker universe.

Overwined
Sep 22, 2008

Some of the level design in Clear Sky is really quite awesome. The swamps and that heavily wooded zone are really well designed. Outside of their scale they look organic and real.

Overwined
Sep 22, 2008

Lamprey Cannon posted:

So, recently, I've been playing Far Cry 2, and I have to say that it's the closest thing I've ever experienced to an American STALKER title. You've got a free-roaming world that is ridiculously hostile and deadly every step of the way, you've got a bar full of mercenary buddies who will give you missions and occasionally come to help you out, you've got an abundance of lovely and broken weapons that've been shipped in from the outside world, you've even got the artifact hunting in the form of gps-tagged cases of diamonds. I would give my left ear for a STALKER game using that engine, fire effects and all.

I thought someone was doing literally that: porting Stalker (CoP, I believe) into the Far Cry engine.

A quick google shows me some news on porting Stalker to the Crysis engine. Moddb entry here. Don't get your hopes up, though. It was announced a few years ago and it appears nothing is going on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Overwined
Sep 22, 2008

Vodka is a hell of a drug.