Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LordLeckie
Nov 14, 2009
I always forget just how nice the animations are for the guitar players.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LordLeckie
Nov 14, 2009

Konsek posted:

I need to get round to watching the film.

One thing I tried to work out was how many stalkers there were. Spoilered just in case: the fact that there's a trader who buys items from The Zone means there must have been enough for him to make a living, but on the other hand it also seemed like Red knew every other stalker by name, and there weren't many. And in every trip into The Zone, he never met anyone apart from his own companions. Either way it seems far less populated than the games, but I suppose a completely empty zone wouldn't make for much of a fun game.

I personally think a much more empty zone would make for a better game, allow for much more deadly and resource consuming firefights and that sort of thing as well as encouraging devs to individualise as many of the stalkers as possible. Striking a balance between the book and the game would be great. But yeah in the book there are very few stalkers as while it attracts the same treasure seekers the zone of the book also is seemingly far more insidious and deadly. Granted this may just be how the game translates its lore into gameplay mechanics (like not all anomalies being certain death) but when i read roadside i always got a very very sinister vibe from everything, as if there were a vibrant colour to everything that drew you in and mangled you in new exciting way.

I really really need to reread that book soon.

LordLeckie
Nov 14, 2009

Daemonion posted:

Holy poo poo, I haven't been here in a while. Have a teaser involving LURK 1.2. and thunder.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MXKc1HqKGbc

That sounds fantastic.

LordLeckie
Nov 14, 2009
I remember you get really really close to something identical to Duga 3 in Clear Sky in the final town just before the hospital, its right next to a construction site so you can get a good look but it feels very badly placed, its meant to be an awesome giant landmark but its just sort of shunted off the side.

LordLeckie
Nov 14, 2009

Nitrox posted:

Did anyone model this gun for COP yet?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UdvuZZOhW2U

Seems like it would be functially identical to a gauss rifle.

LordLeckie
Nov 14, 2009
Loving that emission change where it knocks out electronics and lasts longer, always love when basic things like that and expanded upon in new interesting ways that also manage to make sense in game/mechanically.

LordLeckie
Nov 14, 2009
I really like the way the screen blurs out when you reload thats a nice touch.

LordLeckie
Nov 14, 2009

Ddraig posted:

A short while ago I had the idea of creating a mod for Misery that replaced the classes with Seinfeld characters.

I'm thinking: Jerry as the Sniper, Kramer as the Recon, George as the Assault.

I was also going to replace the character's dialog with dialog from Seinfeld to see if it could fit.

GEORGE IS GETTIN CHIKI

LordLeckie
Nov 14, 2009
I feel that the much tighter smaller and restricted maps that are divided up into very distinct sections helps give ShoC its feeling, every area has some new fantastical horror and obstacle to overcome and can let you stray off the beaten path very quick. While you can walk off in any direction you please in CoP you generally wont stumble across any interesting terrain to navigate given all the anomalies got clustered up into the named areas. Compare that to say getting to the garbage at night and having a shootout with bandits and then making your way to agroprom and THEN discovering the underground underneath it all as well as all these small side areas that you might miss like the hills near the rail tunnel which have dogs and artifacts hiding in them. I guess not letting you get overly familiar with an area too quickly helps a lot, also significant terrain variance like the maze of the wilds between Yantar and bar, extreme exposure of the dark valley etc.

LordLeckie
Nov 14, 2009
That new Oblivion lost sounds interesting but it mentions that it cranks the detail up so im guessing it wont run all that well on lovely ancient computers like mine?

LordLeckie
Nov 14, 2009

Ddraig posted:

Call of Pripyat has a few ambitious mods. The one I'd recommend people try right now is the "Sky Anomaly" mod that I just linked.

The guy who made it is a bit of a genius. He decided, rightly so, that it was loving weird that the premise of Call of Pripyat is that there are anomalies in the sky, capable of downing a helicopter, but you never actually see anything like that.

So you now get truly weird poo poo in the Zone. All done very cleverly with textures, particle effects, and modifying existing anomalies to do some truly bizarre poo poo.

You can tell that the guy was heavily inspired by Roadside Picnic as some of the new anomalies look like they were ripped straight from there. You can be walking along suddenly and you'll hear a huge cacophony of sound, weird poo poo slivering around that doesn't seem to do anything... anomalies that appear to do nothing (but they may - who knows?) etc.

One of the REALLY creepy things, beyond the "Swan Lake" anomaly in that video, is in the kindergarten area in Pripyat. Let's just say it's rather ingenious and I'm shocked nobody thought of it before.

That sounds fantastic and what ive been wanting out of the stalker series since forever, the existing anomalies are cool but like roadside picnic showed the potential for these amazing impossible things is just so much more.

LordLeckie
Nov 14, 2009

Ddraig posted:

Support your public libraries, people! Managed to find Eduard Artemyev's score for Stalker in my library. It's the only place I've been able to find it.

I guess I want to see if some of it is workable as ambient level music for stalker.

e: Also here's the dynamic eyesight script for Misery

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/5847454/Dynamic%20Eyesight.7z

In theory, this should work for any stalker game, with any mod you wish, provided it doesn't have a similar function. The only two I know of that do are OGSE (which I based this on) and SGM

All you need to do is add a correct update function in xr_motivator.script

You can look at the included one (for misery) to get an idea.

Oh dang thats awesome that you managed to find the score, ive been looking all over for it myself but gave up months ago.

LordLeckie
Nov 14, 2009
Is it possible to get a copy of it or would that be :filez:, you'd hope not with the USSR being gone and all.

LordLeckie
Nov 14, 2009

Ddraig posted:

Here's some stuff from the SoC mod:

Basically testing out emissions and the cars.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T9iMqi9tf24

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m7zqEdvAt1I

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4XToTfBK9jg

Right now I've put all my focus on the game being the ultimate simulator of driving a battered car around the Ukrainian countryside while listening to cheesy 80s music.

I think this exciting new direction is what the stalker games ultimately lead to.

Personally id probably put leben heist leben there instead of Opus dei but that may just be me being unused to english lyrics in the zone.

LordLeckie
Nov 14, 2009

Ddraig posted:

Considering that you really never see anything dangerous and the worst stuff is only hinted at it is an amazingly tense film.

I always got the feeling that you were never supposed to relate to the Stalker, as he is having this almost religious experience and all the other two can do is observe and assume he's not nuts.

Yeah pretty much, professor and writer are there as audience stand ins if people want, the 2 searching for something in some way not the person thats found what he wants and is content to share it with others.

LordLeckie
Nov 14, 2009
I dont understand the need to mod cars back into stalker when the maps are so small that they dont really work and gently caress over the sense of scale and distance when used.

LordLeckie
Nov 14, 2009

floor is lava posted:

drat, someone needs to go through and take some super high resolution screenshots.

Oh my goodness thats great, makes me wish i could run the game on anything but low with shadows off (yes i know i know).

LordLeckie
Nov 14, 2009

Acquire Currency! posted:

For whatever reason Misery 1.2 made hunting fleshes for parts to sell fun enough for me to do for twenty hours. Really.

I enjoyed misery so much that i was willing to put up with how unstable it is on my lovely laptop for hours and hours and hours so they got something right.

LordLeckie
Nov 14, 2009

Ddraig posted:

Force of habit I guess, but yeah lost alpha is a standalone. As for COP mods ap-pro.ru is a good resource. I'd highly recommend Sky Anomaly. It's ARS with new anomalies added that are loving amazing. It's one of those cases where someone is incredibly good at doing one thing and doing it well.

http://ap-pro.ru/forum/36-3893-1

Check out the videos. The guy pretty much made a straight up Roadside Picnic adaption.

Makes me wish i could read Cyrillic because ive always wanted more fantastical anomalies with abstract properties and the like.

LordLeckie
Nov 14, 2009

Gobblecoque posted:

I'm with you, I love the crazy poo poo that goes on in SoC and really miss it whenever I play CoP.

Yeah while i get irked about the silly borders you get there, SoCs more linear maps had some better design elements i feel contributed to these moments more just because there was more claustrophobic feel to things that forced certain movements in smaller spaces compared to CoP where you have vast open spaces for the majority of the game. I liked that feeling of freedom you go in CoP and it fit the zone well especially when giving up that freedom to go into the indoor/underground spaces but it definately made us lose out on thigs like hiding in the upper reaches of wild territory as mercs shoot at a lone bloodsucker tearing them to bits.

LordLeckie
Nov 14, 2009

MadBimber posted:

Doublepost: Two albums of Pripyat, prior to the 1986 explosion. There may be duplicates, I haven't had the time to look through either of them fully.

http://imgur.com/a/yYbG8
http://imgur.com/a/V4cZT

These are fantastic, its neat to see the construction of a planned city like this not to mention creepy to notice in game locations in the photos and think "Oh i shot a snork there"

LordLeckie
Nov 14, 2009

That looks fantastic, sounds really good as well its a pity the music listed in the description doesnt bring up any hits because it really set the mood.

LordLeckie
Nov 14, 2009

Huh didnt expect that. Thankyou!

LordLeckie
Nov 14, 2009

The Kins posted:

This is about a week old, but I didn't see a link, so... GSC Gameworld has reformed in some form, still has all the STALKER 2 materials, and is working on a new "old-fashioned, full price game". They also talk about STALKER 2 development, and why it got cancelled in the first place.

Woah now that is unexpected, i love that the west game idiots were working on a browser version of stalker.

LordLeckie
Nov 14, 2009

NO gently caress YOU DAD posted:

I thought the vanilla Jupiter plant was a nice return to SoC-type loneliness in CoP's overpopulated maps; a hulking empty nothing just itching to get you turned around and trapped in a blowout.

It's one of very few places in CoP where you feel truly alone. Every other major building was either a hub or a set piece and it really took away from the game's creep factor.

Yeah Jupiter in the original CoP is probably my favourite location along with the vines in Pripyat for that exact reason. I only wish it was a little harder to navigate anomaly wise with more indoor traps and a sort of jungle gym approach to getting around, like the sarcophagus in SoC but with more than just the teleports.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LordLeckie
Nov 14, 2009

Dvsilverwing posted:

Maybe it's just me, but I always enjoyed being in these "empty" places and suddenly spotting a few stalkers or bandits sitting around a campfire or something like that. I guess I enjoy the idea of the Zone being a little more populated than it realistically would or should be. Running long stretches and not seeing any human AI has always seemed a little boring to me I suppose.

I think it comes down to most of the gameplay mechanics come down to interactions with the AI in various ways so with no AI you only have the zone, and while the zone is always this omnipresent threat its also one of the most trivial unless you heavily mod the game so you actually fear radiation and anomalies. Exploring is fun but especially in CoP there can be very little to see and its almost themepark style design concentrates most interesting stuff in small clumps.