Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord

Gestalt Intellect posted:

Is Misery 2.0 any less unbelievably stupid than it was when it came out? I don't see any patches on its ModDB page. I'm getting kinda close to finishing 1.0 and was hoping they fixed it.

I stopped playing due to general stalker fatigue, but I was playing on a build that fixed the most grievous bugs and design decisions and I enjoyed it a ton. Not sure what patch it was, but it felt mostly at a point where it was acceptable. It should be on ModDB because that's where I found it. 2.0 nailed gunplay and stealth, and with the patch fixing everything I think you'll really enjoy it.

e: Ahh Cream-of-Plenty got it. :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord
Should be "4" to bring up a grenade. Left click tosses the grenade, holding right click allows you to build up force before you throw. "Y" will allow you to change grenade types, the same way you can change ammo types.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Buglord
I know what I'm playing for another +20 hours. :shepface:

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Buglord
I'm getting a crash on startup...xr3da.exe has stopped working :(
And yeah its the steam version. I changed the ltx file and fixed the exe with the 4gb patch..but no dice.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Buglord

YesManKablam posted:

According to the ModDB page it has to do with Sweet FX.

Thanks bro, that worked out perfectly for me.

The game does look CoP levels of nice. The new ambient sounds are super cool and make things feel all foresty, but I'm kinda bummed they felt the need to import Misery's ambient music. I was hoping they'd furnish their own. It's fitting, I can't bash it in that regard. But it sounds too much like it.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Buglord
Autumn Aurora 2 causes me to BSOD on loading a save. "Page fault in on paged area". I remember I had a similar problem when loading saves in CoP's SGM. Anyone know a fix?

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Buglord
I miss that one zone-horse thing a Goon was modeling. The concept art for it was awesome.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Buglord
That's beautiful :allears:

Too bad nothing came of it, I'd like to think that mutant would have the most unnerving call that would travel over the hills. :smith:

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Buglord
Misery is harder, but i'd say the gameplay mechanics change so much it's pretty much a fresh take on CoP. Unless you absolutely want new areas or missions, I'd say its enough to warrant a great playthrough. Patched Misery 2 has the gunplay I've seen, and stealth actually works.

buglord fucked around with this message at 21:19 on Dec 26, 2013

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Buglord

Sulman posted:

It is! I saw that when it was broadcast. 1991, if memory serves. It was a big deal - first western media team allowed on site. It was genuinely loving eerie, even then.

Edit: By the way, I think there's a homage to the 'Elephant's Foot' in...X18 if memory serves; but it's much smaller.

I just watched it right now. I found it pretty depressing :smith:. Wasn't there another doc floating around and it showed how all these areas since then have become super green and lush with wildlife strangely?

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Buglord

NEED TOILET PAPER posted:

As someone who's logged in way more time than is justifiable into CoP (:negative:) I really like SOC, but I've grown accustomed to some CoP mechanics that aren't present, ie weapon upgrades. It's definitely way more atmospheric than CoP, though, especially in the underground levels. As mentioned, be sure to pick up a good mod first, since it's still a pretty buggy game and IMO in need of some upgraded graphics to spiffy it up and make the Zone pretty(er). For your first playthrough, I recommend OGSE :getin:

OGSE is really cool because SoC needs a graphics update, but I'd really be careful with that mod. While it did breathe new life into the game, the mutant spawns are really high. It was hard to be scared and immersed (which stalker does incredibly well) because some areas resembled a mutant battlefield. That and I was able to get a good condition exo just two hours into the game. Luckily OGSE comes with a really detailed options launcher, so it might be worth seeing if you could put some spawn values back to vanilla default, while still keeping the quality of life and graphical improvements OGSE puts in. :shobon:

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Buglord

Robot Randy posted:

Yeah, turn off increased mutant spawn and set the spawn timer to at least 24 hours. Turning off randomized stashes also reduces the chance you'll come across an M16, silencer, and 200 rounds of AP ammo stashed in the rookie village.

Almost forgot about the auto-turrets. Basically they're long range chain-guns with laser accuracy that will instantly kill you. Destroying them involves a lot of quick-loading and utilizing incredibly small gaps in cover. Luckily there's a turret fix which either removes them/shuts them off somewhere in the thread. Although I'd be kind of surprised if the OGSE mod hasn't fixed them at this point, it's been quite a while since release.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Buglord
I'm still getting Page Fault in Non-Paged Area BSOD's whenever I load SoC saves. I was trying out that Autumn Aurora 2 mod. No matter what, I can still create new games and fart around just fine. Say I quicksave a few minutes in, fully close the game, and load that save, I'll BSOD. I have no idea what's going on :(.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Buglord

Ddraig posted:

A few of Misery's misc items have had cloned versions which have a different description and do things, so that picture of a woman you picked up could be a freaky version of it that constantly feeds the sound of a crying woman into your head until you get rid of it.

You could be walking around randomly and a ghostly image appears infront of you and then vanishes immediately.

This sounds like the coolest thing ever. Along with the random "useless" anomalies. I'm really excited! :D

Also it turns out deleting my user.ltx fixed my BSOD's from happening when I load save files in Autumn Aurora 2.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Buglord
Why is GSC apparently not backing LA anymore because of the leak? Isn't that a little much? I'd like to imagine that response was a little reactionary and things will eventually go back to plan once the dust settles, but I feel like I'm missing something.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Buglord

your evil twin posted:

What's interesting is that they did say that the one area where GSC wanted them to make some changes was to give more hints to explain things to the player so that it was accessible to newcomers, while originally the game was designed to be ultra-hardcore as it was just for veteran fans. Even if there is no longer a chance of the game being sold as an official product, I think it is good that the game has been made more accessible.

Yeah I really hope this is the case. This is pretty much my favorite FPS game, but its a hard sell to other friends because the games are quite rough around the edges and do a pretty horrid job of explaining things. I can't blame them for trying it and not touching it again. I've played the game long enough that it's obviously a non issue personally, but it didn't occur to me how hard the game was to understand until a friend of mine tried it out and had a hundred questions while playing.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Buglord
Yeah as cool as OGSE is, its kind of easy to get suddenly incredibly powerful. I found it almost a little too easy to find exos and chainguns.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Buglord

MadBimber posted:

OGSE tries to balance this by throwing out obscenely powerful mutants

Meeting an electro-chimera before the anticipated exo and machine gun was something. :stare:
It's a shame CS is in the state it's in. It brought a handful of unique areas to S.T.A.L.K.E.R but I can't fault anyone for wanting to play a game that seemingly doesn't want you to play it by trying to break itself every way possible.

buglord fucked around with this message at 05:41 on Apr 6, 2014

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Buglord
Just a shot in the dark, you don't think you're irradiated right? Usually there'd be an icon for that, and even minor radiation poisoning can slowly gnaw at your health. I'm not sure if the new edition of Misery replaces the icon with a more transparent screen effect or anything though.

e: haha what the christ? That's the silliest thing ever.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Buglord
Fair warning to those who are downloading the open beta, they don't have any US severs. The game ran like crap for me even with a good connection. Still worth looking at though, they absolutely nailed the pacing.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Buglord
Looks like the Lost Alpha file is apparently too big for ModDB, so they're gonna try seeding it. I was hoping to play today :smith:.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Buglord
This is both a really pretty game and an ugly one. Scenery is eyepoppingly nice, but some of the textures look awfully dated. Still, this wasn't exactly ready for prime time as it is so I can't be too harsh. There's some goofiness in terms of bugs and "feel", so echoing the others, it's probably good to wait if you don't want to hassle with downloads and torrents.

Haha welp, I guess the settings finally applied themselves. This game is very, very beautiful.

buglord fucked around with this message at 03:21 on Apr 28, 2014

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Buglord
What visual options are good to turn off to boost FPS in Lost Alpha? If I remember, there were a few options you could safely turn down/off that netted you big gains, and did little to change how the game looked. I already have AA turned off.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Buglord

floor is lava posted:

Turning grass density to about half made it run wayyy faster for me.

Its my favorite new feature that I was hoping to keep maxed out. I was seeing what else I could turn down to balance it out. :saddowns:

e:Its at 70 right now though.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Buglord

Endymion FRS MK1 posted:

It feels like it would be, but they are very different games. The general objective is the same: Go to Wolf, get his guy with the flash drive, go north to Garbage, help Bes, help Seriy, go to Agroprom, etc... but the journey is very different. For example, Bes's quest is not even remotely the same. Everything is a ton more fleshed out. Also for example, the documents you get at the military base have a purpose other than "quest item for Barkeep". It feels like a lot of unexplained areas and quests have purpose now.

The way Garbage was redone surprised me, it looks far better. The old Garbage didn't strike me as wrong or anything, but the new versions of these areas are pretty much perfect so far. And you're right, they all have some value and purpose now.

As an aside, what didn't make it to the release besides extra polish and bugfixing? Or was that all that was left to do? As far as I remember, LA was doing the whole "done when it's done thing" until the leak came out, then the devs quickly tied it together and released it as is.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Buglord

Acquire Currency! posted:

Well I did actually see the helicopter after it posted that. It's just that the sound is like it's directly overhead even underground

Bummer. I was hoping I'd stop hearing that eventually.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Buglord

baromodo posted:

I started Lost Alpha, I must say the writing and voice-acting in the intro was pretty jarring and amateurish. Is there much more of this later in the game? It's a bit off-putting.

I was hoping LA just had original Russian VA to begin with. English has always been goofy.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Buglord

Monolith. posted:

I get to Limansk in Clear Sky and then it just stops being fun.

It pretty much feels like Call of Duty meets the Stalker universe, which is kinda fun, if only for a little while.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Buglord

your evil twin posted:

If enemies die from 1 or 2 bullets to the body, then how can you have fun firefights? I like it when enemies yell in pain and run off to find cover and stuff. If they die in one or two bullets, you just mow them all down and they don't get to show off any interesting AI. No-one would have been impressed by Half-Life 1's revolutionary AI for the human grunts if the player had been able to mow them down before they hand a chance to react.
Stalker attempts to level the playing field so that landing those few shots feels rewarding. It gives every action and combat item more weight when even a lowly pistol can be lethal against a well equipped but careless person. And then because of that you're forced to toy with the AI to get the advantage. (Like luring a mutant into a group of bandits so you can pick off them as they're distracted.) It is an incredibly hard tightrope to walk though. Stalker games are plagued with Ukrainian shotput teams and bandits who are able to headshot you across a lake with their 40% condition rusty AK on full auto, all while strafing left or right.

Monolith. posted:

I think the trio of games probably would have failed without the modding community, to be honest.
I'd like to think many of its sales came from Internet word of mouth because Stalker is more of the drunk criminal uncle of FPS games. It is cool to see the modding community do so well with what I consider my favorite shooter.

Monolith. posted:

Granted, I also like putting a suppressor on my gun and taking them down Sam Fisher style. Maybe I just really don't like Clear Sky no matter what mod I put on it.
I feel like Clear Sky has the potential to be a great game through mods, as it does explore some areas the two other games hardly touch on. But it's hard finding a mod that does all those things properly. For a while I was simultaneously doing a CoP and CS run. Going back to CS's bullet sponge gameplay hurt every time. The animations that came with non-fatal head-shots added salt to the wound because it looks like someone went up to them and slapped their helmet.

buglord fucked around with this message at 22:29 on Jun 29, 2014

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Buglord
Misery 2 patched is really weird because it features the absolute best gunplay and actual stealth I've experienced in Stalker (you can seriously raid a warehouse Metal Gear Solid style) but everything else about it is super oppressive. It's like they're trying to fight that "power surge" that inevitably happens at the end of Zaton and the beginning of Jupiter, but in the most obnoxious difficulty padding system ever.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Buglord

NEED TOILET PAPER posted:

SGM made some interesting design decisions, is what I'm saying here.

For all of SGM's incredible faults, that experience was great. I was already scared because of the added in bloodsucker/snork men, but I was downright terrified when I met the Librarian thing. A friend was watching me play this and thought I was hamming the experience all up since he knows I play a lot, but nope that was completely new to me and came out of the left field.

I just wish that mod figured out what it wanted to be. I've liked SGM back to 1.7, but 2.2's alternate start intro had to be the most badly designed thing ever, and some of those extra maps were all sorts of funky and crash prone.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Buglord
It seems like all my nightmares/creepy strange dreams are Stalker flavored. I've had one about racing to a barn and hiding there trying to wait out an emission, one about living on that ship in Zaton going to war against bandits and their snorks, and the most recent one where I was shopping at our local mall at midnight (???) and being attacked by a Controller. I actually ended up getting a migraine later that day after I had woken up which was sort of a cool but afternoon ruining touch. I've only had about 250 hours combined of Stalker games, I figure thats a little early for dreams. While all of those nightmares suck, they are really cool in hindsight.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Buglord
I'm not sure if the latest version of Misery is okay, but 2.0 fanpatched was surprisingly good. The extra useless items (like used cigs or some broken picture frame) were removed and health was tweaked back to normal values. Prices are still astronomical but things get trivial once you hit that "power bump" at the end of Zaton where you start making thousands and have power armor.

Misery 2 patched has the best gunplay and stealth action of any mod I've played by far. The only problem is that it's the only real part of the mod that is done well. But at this point I don't know if the devs tried upsetting the balance the fanpatchers set or if they screwed their heads back on tight but like Ddraig said I doubt it.

e: That said if someone surgically removed the stealth and gunplay system of patched Misery 2 and put it into their presumably well rounded mod I would play it forever. :allears:

e2: since i'm walking through a minefield here, I want to point out that Misery 2 alone without the patch had horrible damage values and multiple headshots on a bandit were necessary and you were made of glass.

buglord fucked around with this message at 02:13 on Sep 3, 2014

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Buglord

Wasn't there a mod combining the two or am I misremembering it for something else?

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Buglord

Ddraig posted:

The first bunch is by a guy called Lukasz Pazera. He's done a few of them, including animals.

http://lukpazera.blogspot.co.uk/

http://postcardsfromthezone.com/

I tried to get in contact with him about using his 'Postcards from the Zone' but he never got back to me :(

Y'all posted his good stuff but not my favorite pic of his.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Buglord

Ddraig posted:

This is pretty amazing. I've never seen this before, but it's pretty much an ingame element in the sky anomaly mod for Call of Pripyat.

There's a few more unlisted ones on his DeviantArt profle.

I really wish I could hang that train car one on a wall, it would look awesome in my room.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Buglord

Oberleutnant posted:

This is one of my favourites and I've been looking for it for ages.

I know it's been implmented kinda sorta in Sky Anomany, but I always imagined it slightly differently in my head. I liked the thought of a boxcar just gently floating upright, about 9-10 feet in the air, and stalkers having built a little makeshift camp underneath it. No more than a little campfire and places to sit, never quite knowing it one day it'll just drop down and squash them for no loving reason, but prepared to accept whatever happens because right now it keeps the rain off. That seems to encompass a lot about the weirdness of the zone and the fatality and pragmatism that comes across from some of the dialogue of the average stalker in game.
Either you or someone else had posted a similar thing about that earlier pages of this thread but yeah this is how I've seen it too. Just suspended quietly and rarely coming back down.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Buglord

This reminds me of the GTA4 engine where you'd shoot people while they're driving. Cops would usually get out of their cars, close the door, and go ragdoll immediately after.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Buglord
What can cause a whole ton of loading issues with CS: The Faction War mod? Quick loading is always perilous because I either hang on Client: Synchronizing or a straight up CTD.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Buglord
I gave up on Clear Sky TFW because of all the CTD-while-loading problems, but now the same thing is happening to me with SoC AA2. All I get is the "xr3da has stopped working" message and I get booted to the desktop. I check the log file in the stalker-shoc>log folder and its always empty.Is this something with my computer since im having this issue across both games? I really have no idea what to make of it.