Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

nexus6
Sep 2, 2011

If only you could see what I've seen with your eyes
I'm playing SGM 2.2 and I'm frustrated with the low performance I am getting. I've turned all the graphics settings down, installed the optimized shaders and even tried the modified dll files but the game is still very choppy. I've even installed it on my SSD and although it speeds up initial loading times, when I get in a firefight or go to Skadovsk it becomes a slideshow.

Is it just because xrengine isn't well optimized? I mean, I can get a constant smooth experience in Far Cry 3 but max out at 19 fps in CoP :( .

I have a lot of love for STALKER but this is just making it a chore to play.

nexus6 fucked around with this message at 16:39 on Mar 15, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nexus6
Sep 2, 2011

Am I missing something? I thought Lost Alpha was a mod based on old builds of stalker. Is it an official commercial game now or am I thinking of something else?

nexus6
Sep 2, 2011

I'm playing SGM 2.1, when do I get an objective to go to one of the new (old) areas (dark valley, military warehouses)? I've finished the main storyline and I'm in freeplay now, not much to do besides kill hundreds of zombies.

nexus6
Sep 2, 2011

Vorenus posted:

IIRC one of the guys in the Scientists' bunker will give you the Red Forest quest. RF has to be done before any of the other add-on areas or they'll all become bugged. It can also bug so that the quest is never offered, have fun with that.

Godammit, I think mine's bugged.

nexus6
Sep 2, 2011

Loving Lost Alpha, it's like a fourth STALKER game. I've always been annoyed that no matter what other mods added or changed, the game still felt very familiar (I haven't played People's Soup though). This has blown me away so far, I've only got as far as the Garbage but I'm very impressed.

Does anyone know what setting I need to change to prevent myself going blind?

nexus6
Sep 2, 2011

Antignition posted:

Does the skybox always look like that? I remember having that always-luminescent sky when I used DX9 dynamic lighting. Pretty sure it was a graphical glitch.

Only certain times of day. I'll try DX10.

nexus6
Sep 2, 2011

I've installed the patch but still get incredibly long freezes when quick saving or opening the ESC menu.

nexus6
Sep 2, 2011

Fish Fry Andy posted:

I wasn't really sure why I was seeing people say that they didn't like Lost Alpha, but I think I'm about half way through X-18 right now and I can totally understand. Unskippable awkward cutscenes and monster closets in Stalker? Sick. It's not enough to make me stop playing if only because I enjoy the new content, but it really takes away from what makes these games great.

It is broken, but easily fixed.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B2IUe5MgSdC2OVNKUUtWQzRaVFE/edit?usp=sharing

I'm feeling this a bit too, plus a hell of a lot more backtracking. Still loving it though.

nexus6
Sep 2, 2011

staberind posted:

I reinstalled & restarted shortly after finally managing to get into x18, on a whim I installed http://www.mediafire.com/download/sjjwd0405j9a3cq/S3r1ous+Textures+Effects+and+Audio+v2+by+ThaOneDon.rar and its really nice so far, also the updated S.L.A.M Pack (S3r1ous S.T.A.L.K.E.R.: LOST ALPHA MODS by ThaOneDon) page : http://freetexthost.com/q134pzdcl5
about to get to dark valley again, this time, however, I used the non melting corpses as manbags, from agro to garbage, and mr snypah in garbage to the middle dv entrance, all ready for my stunt-niva to cart it to the bandito trader, its like single player poopsocking.

Does the SLAM pack affect performance? I'm on a knife edge between LA being playable and too stuttery.

nexus6
Sep 2, 2011

Monolith. posted:

If you still get a long escape menu/quicksave/loading in Lost Alpha, try going to the bin folder, sending a shortcut right to your desktop and not doing any compatibility options besides admin level privilege. It probably doesn't hurt to add -external (not sure what this does) and -noprefetch to your target line.

The shortcut created by the installer already does that.

nexus6
Sep 2, 2011

Nehacoo posted:

Lost Alpha's plot takes a quite hilarious fan-fictionesque turn a bit into the game. I still haven't finished it though, I keep getting fed up with the huge distances you need to run between every mission just to talk to some dude and then run all the way back or something. It could really do with some kind of fast travel system.

There's a mod on the GSC forums called 'The Guiders' that allows NPCs to take you directly to areas as fast travel. Works pretty great for me. Takes you right to groups of friendly stalkers too.

nexus6
Sep 2, 2011

Nehacoo posted:

Thanks, I'll look into that. Is it compatible with existing save files?

Sure is, it just appears to add extra dialog to some existing friendly NPCs such as Baldy - the guy in the corner in the bar. Only thing is they don't ask for money so it might seem a bit like a cheat but I only use it for ridiculous backtracking of places I have just been through e.g. escaping dark valley, driving all the way through darkscape and walking through the near pitch black mines only for an NPC to take away all my gear and tell me to go back to the bandit base in dark valley.

nexus6
Sep 2, 2011

Why is it recommended to run Lost Alpha in XP compatibility mode? Since I disabled it my load times are now in seconds, not minutes.

nexus6
Sep 2, 2011

Swartz posted:

Also, SSD's are great (I finally got one around 6 months ago) but don't expect game loading times to go down too dramatically. They're great for installing your OS and common files on though, I can boot up after pressing the start button within a few seconds.

After I got my SSD I put CoP on it, my load times went from over a minute to ~10 seconds. YMMV I guess

nexus6
Sep 2, 2011

Does Arsenal Overhaul just change the guns? I've played CoP to the point I know it like the back of my hand it it's a bit dull doing the same missions in the same areas again and again.

nexus6
Sep 2, 2011

Holy poo poo, stalker is supposed to be that smooth? My PC is a heap of poo poo then, don't think I've ever seen higher than 20fps. :sigh:

nexus6
Sep 2, 2011

gggiiimmmppp posted:

I'm getting the itch again. Is there anything cool and awesome built on lost alpha yet?

Seconding this, I love CoP but I feel like I've played it to death and all the locations and missions are too familiar. It doesn't feel like there's any exploration, at least with Lost Alpha the maps are new.

nexus6
Sep 2, 2011

I've just built a new PC and I've got the urge to play STALKER again. I've played all of them several times so I'm looking for something to give me a new experience, but perhaps not something as punishing as Misery. What's everyone else playing at the moment?

nexus6
Sep 2, 2011

New video from Gunslinger mod: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GhhmUgs_-Mk

nexus6
Sep 2, 2011

Damegane posted:

I know it's not the point of the video, but the gun and its animations look so good.

I believe that's the main focus of the mod though, the gun models and animations.

nexus6
Sep 2, 2011

Vorenus posted:

Gonna sperg about SGM a bit, the Geonezis add-on is not only very stable (~12 hours of play, only two crashes, no glitches) but it also adds a LOT of new missions and storyline. The all-in-one translator claims it's at least eight hours of gameplay to get the keys for the choppers, I'd estimate it to be quite more unless you know what you're doing and at least half-assedly speedrunning it. The cool thing is, all that extra stuff is fun and well-implemented.

The only part that is rough is the economy - it's not a horrible grind, but you can't just make a quick 50k off of an Alpha Squad anymore. On top of that, Alpha Squads are tougher than I remember from 2.1 and 2.2, and while kiting them is the easiest method of dealing with them, more often than not you'll end up aggroing another squad. I tried to pull the squad from Yanov, from the area between the center and the Cement Factory, and ended up holed up in Zulu's tower with three or four squads sitting outside.

Is this an addon for 2.1/2.2? Is there an all-in-one? Basically I'm asking how do I get this?

nexus6
Sep 2, 2011

Sounds good, I always enjoyed Lost Alpha, except for the mindless backtracking, but there appears to be a lot of hate for it. Perhaps I just haven't played far enough into it?

nexus6
Sep 2, 2011

I've been playing SGM Geonezis all day and can confirm it's great. It felt a little rough around the edges initially (some text is still Russian) but it's fine: I'm loving the new quests and characters, weapons and armors. At first the radioactive water was annoying but now it changes how I approach getting around the zone.

I believe the AIO on moddb has Misery textures included so it looks gorgeous and, for me at least, it performs better than SGM 2.1 as I get a lot fewer stutters.

nexus6
Sep 2, 2011

Monolith. posted:

Why does Wolf have a billion and a half health on this Genosis SGM mod.

Also what is this magical forcefield preventing me from getting close to any NPC?

Wolf and his guys are immortal until you talk to him.

nexus6
Sep 2, 2011

Monolith. posted:

Well, I figured it out as I didn't talk to the scientists after getting the new faction quest. Still, a lot of stuff is pretty cryptic and it sucks if you picked up the Informant's quests and then forget where you're supposed to look.

I'm finding this too with Informant quests: I've no idea what you're meant to be doing. I've been ignoring them for the most part.

nexus6
Sep 2, 2011

Good Lord, just started a new game of OGSE 0.6.9.2 and the mutants are on drat steroids. Everything can kill me in two attacks which really sucks if I can't kill it before having to reload. Never had to quickload so many times to do the rookie missions in Cordon.

nexus6
Sep 2, 2011

Does anyone else play stalkersoup and find the zone really empty? Random mutant /enemy spawns seem really rare.

nexus6
Sep 2, 2011

Does OGSE 0.6.9.3 have dogs that can take off half your health? I kinda stopped playing 0.6.9.2 after I had to quick load several times just trying to do the 'clear the farm' mission in Cordon where several screaming fleshes spawn and one hit kill you while you reload your shotgun. I've run out of shotgun ammo before killing the easiest mutants in that mod.

nexus6
Sep 2, 2011

Killswitch posted:

Come on buddy, you're wearing a sport coat and swinging a wiffle bat at this point of the game, how many smacks from a flesh do you think you can handle?

Run awaaaaaaaaaayyyyyyyyyyyy :)

So no?

nexus6
Sep 2, 2011

gggiiimmmppp posted:

deployable autoturrets sounds more like SGM kitchen sink excess than anything to do with misery

Yeah, it seems kinda odd to go for the realism of "mutants really hurt you", "your armor really isn't that good" and combine it with the auto turrets from Aliens.

Is it a gritty, realistic survival game or an arcadey blast-everything with sci-fi weapons game?

nexus6
Sep 2, 2011

Ddraig, are the hotfixes cumulative?

nexus6
Sep 2, 2011

Has anyone noticed all the games received updates on steam?

nexus6
Sep 2, 2011

lordfrikk posted:

So I decided to try out SGM 2.2 and I just can't find this Tamerlane dude's corpse. Google spit out a few results of people saying you need to try to open Sidorovich's door and then find explosives in one of the house cellars. Disregarding the fact that this makes no loving sense whatsoever (seriously how are you supposed to figure this out, there's no quest log entry nor map marker?), there's no explosives as far as I can tell in any of the houses. Any help?

I just did that mission yesterday. The translation isn't great but you are right. You have to check Sid's door before the explosives spawn. I found them in the basement of the house that Nimble sleeps in in the original game. There's a mattress on the floor and behind it a ladder into the basement. The explosives were right there.

You have to then go back to the door and place the explosives. You get a little radio thing in your inventory that is the detonator. Use it to blow open the door.

Yeah, the mission design isn't the best and unfortunately the majority of mods seem to be Russian made and Google translated.

I'm having fun though, just wish some of the scopes weren't so small.

nexus6
Sep 2, 2011

lordfrikk posted:

Well, gently caress, they brought back the Swamp and I thought I'll never have to play this lovely map again once I was done with Clear Sky :argh: Getting owned through the grass never gets old.

Yeah, I just ran through the swamp area as fast as I could. Don't worry, Zaton is next and there aren't a lot of missions to do in the swamp (lots of backtracking though)

Just got to Zaton/Jupiter though and the performance has really fallen. Stutters all the time to the point I don't want to play it anymore :(

Last time I played DMMAE:PE I had fun initially but eventually the friendly bases got overrun with mutants and there aren't any roaming groups of stalker/bandits/mercs/anything so the maps get pretty empty fast.

nexus6 fucked around with this message at 11:52 on Jul 25, 2015

nexus6
Sep 2, 2011

Looks like the Call of Chernobyl team is having a meltdown or something and somebody leaked it on 4chan.

I stopped playing SGM because the stutter made it an unfun mess. Installed the most recent Stalkersoup and having a blast at 60fps.

nexus6
Sep 2, 2011

I'm excited for CoC, but does it use CoP as a base? For some reason CoP runs like rear end on my machine but SoC is great. For example SGM runs at 20fps max and StalkerSoup runs at 60+

nexus6
Sep 2, 2011

Call of Chernobyl trip report. Is it just me or are the textures a bit 'meh' compared to other mods?

Also, the game crashed after two minutes in. So far, so STALKER :P

nexus6
Sep 2, 2011

I'm playing CoC with Absolute Nature, is there a setting I've missed to stop grass changing color when I get close?

http://gfycat.com/SpryRawCaracal

Forgive the butchered video, but think you can see what's going on. It's really distracting.

Minarchist posted:

Sell guns with bad condition

Both these links appear to be dead :(

Edit

Man, I really want to enjoy CoC but I'm gonna hold off for a few months because it really doesn't feel ready. I've already had a number of crashes, occasionally for some reason or another it will go from fullscreen to a 800x600 window and sometimes in the interface I can't click on certain buttons until I restart because I simply can't move the cursor far enough.

I've killed three military guys so far who just walked towards me like I wasn't there.

I get the above mentioned texture issue and this.

Welcome to the Garbage, hope you remembered your sunglasses!

I'm gonna wait for a few more patches. I know it's part of the STALKER experience, but I've spent more time today trying to install mods, fix settings and restart after crashes than I have actually playing the game :(

nexus6 fucked around with this message at 18:32 on Oct 18, 2015

nexus6
Sep 2, 2011

null_pointer posted:

EDIT: Is STALKERSOUP any more stable or is it still a banana-rama suffer fest?

Stalkersoup is actually one the most stable mods I've played, even moreso that the original game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nexus6
Sep 2, 2011

Ddraig posted:

Yeah. If you want to install Absolute Nature/Structures last they should be fine. They've been updated to include gridgt's bump map changes which are also in my mod, so provided you overwrite the files that already exist it should be fine.

This may be where I have gone wrong. I didn't think the order mattered since they weren't modifying the same files (excluding your mod - I haven't tried that because I don't like HUD-covering facemasks)