Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

NEED TOILET PAPER
Mar 22, 2013

by XyloJW

Acquire Currency! posted:

It does work well with Misery 2.0. It's not a total cure or anything but drat I really noticed things going smoother.

Yeah, I've been playing through Winter of Death and hoooooly poo poo it actually runs somewhat smoothly instead of lagging every five seconds.

Quick SoC question: if I do any missions for Duty, will I end up pissing off Freedom? I want to do some Freedom jobs but first I want to do some work for Duty so I don't piss them off to the point that I can't go to the Bar peacefully.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NEED TOILET PAPER
Mar 22, 2013

by XyloJW

Ddraig posted:

One of the Duty missions is essentially "Destroy the Freedom base".

That's a shame. For the most part, I've been doing side missions that don't antagonize any factions to kill time. I've finished off a good part of Barkeep's missions (at least, the ones that aren't "Eliminate X mutant lair") and I figured I'd go see what the Duty guys near the Bar had to offer me. Thing is, they won't let me go through to their base. STALKER Wiki says they let me through after I finish Lab X-16, but I already finished off that section a while ago. Am I missing anything else? This is in SoC Complete, if it makes any difference.

edit:

Ddraig posted:

If I remember rightly, you need to talk to the Barkeep and he'll say that he put in a word with Duty and they'll let you through. Not entirely sure when that happens, though.
Thanks, I already found the problem: turns out I'm also supposed to talk to the guy guarding the Duty base proper so that he'll let me in. I'm a very smart stalker:downs:

NEED TOILET PAPER fucked around with this message at 04:10 on Nov 3, 2013

NEED TOILET PAPER
Mar 22, 2013

by XyloJW

CoP is my favorite vanilla, and the only one I've also beaten vanilla if that counts for anything.

Same here. I really really want to love CS and SoC but I keep on playing CoP instead. SoC and CS (with the Complete mod, at least) are both good games, but CoP was my introduction to the series and as such the one I feel most comfortable playing. As a bonus, it's also the most bug-free of the series. I say go check it out if you get the chance, it's guaranteed to give you at least a couple hours of entertainment.

NEED TOILET PAPER
Mar 22, 2013

by XyloJW
Can someone do me a favor and remind me which SoC mod(s) add driveable cars? I'm starting to get tired of CoP and I've hit a snag in CS (basically I need to give a PDA to Sakharov but there's a constant stream of zombies in the area so I can't get into the bunker) but I wouldn't mind playing a more spiced-up SoC.

Also, looking at some of the content that was cut from SoC, it's a drat shame they didn't have the time to implement everything fully because this hypothetical Zone sounds pretty great. Hopefully some of the former-GSC guys can come up with something similar.

NEED TOILET PAPER
Mar 22, 2013

by XyloJW

Swartz posted:

For those still playing Call of Pripyat two great mods have been released:

1) COP Original Weapons Renewal v2.0 - Replaces the crappy looking weapons in the default game with very high quality models that are downright sexy. I'm rocking an AK-74 all game long just because I love the look and reload sound/animation. Everything ejects on the right too.

2) Pripyat Reborn - Alundaio, author of previous AI Tweaks and author of the AI in Misery 2.0 released this mod which is a compilation of all his work which he is constantly updating. The AI is great, not to mention non-AI features he's included like the Unofficial Patch and his item mods. It has a couple of bugs at the moment but he's a smart guy so they'll go away before long.

Any idea if these two mods are at all compatible with each other? I want to try out Pripyat Reborn but good lord those weapon models do not look good compared to everything else.

NEED TOILET PAPER
Mar 22, 2013

by XyloJW
The Russian voices are higher-quality, especially when you compare stuff like the original voice files for the crazy stalker in the Army Warehouses vs his English dub. Still, at least for bits of conversation important to the plot, I'd really really like it if there were at least subtitles in English or something. That said, sometimes I just want to scratch that lovely voice acting itch :allears:

NEED TOILET PAPER
Mar 22, 2013

by XyloJW

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

In a lot of mods that introduce them, the cats have a pretty significant health pool for some strange reason. I'm not talking about Misery, because they aren't as much of an issue there.

I haven't played SGM in ages, but they do have cats in them and they're essentially dogs with more health. So it's not just Misery. It is refreshing to face a new mutant in the Zone, though, so I don't mind how poorly they're handled \/:shobon:\/

e: spelling

NEED TOILET PAPER fucked around with this message at 04:58 on Jan 12, 2014

NEED TOILET PAPER
Mar 22, 2013

by XyloJW
My only gripe about CS (+ Complete) is that I'm stuck in Yantar trying to get into Sakharov's bunker but am locked out because by the time I'm done killing a wave of zombies another group appears on the scene. Zombies are way too bullet-spongy for my tastes :sigh:

NEED TOILET PAPER
Mar 22, 2013

by XyloJW

Missing Name posted:

The rest are called "stashes" proper and you might get your stuff wiped out if you put it in an "undiscovered" stash, which then later gets marked in your PDA. Once you loot a stash, it is not used again and you can put whatever the hell you want in that location. Just remember where exactly it was or it's lost to the Zone :devil:

I dunno, I kind of like checking a stash I thought was in a good spot and finding a treasure trove of crap I left and forgot about. It feels like the game is giving you a no-strings-attached present for once :buddy:

Speaking of stashes, is the box near Arnie in the Bar safe? I generally leave my things there because hey, the Bar is one of the few completely safe areas (if you don't piss off Duty) and it's convenient that it's literally across the street from 100 Rads.

e so that this post isn't entirely dumb poo poo:
Anyone have any translated mods they like? SGM et al are already pretty well-known in this thread, but I'm wondering if there are any other hidden gems to be had.

NEED TOILET PAPER fucked around with this message at 04:35 on Feb 23, 2014

NEED TOILET PAPER
Mar 22, 2013

by XyloJW

NeoSeeker posted:

SGM's main quest needs some loving waypoints. Apparently you can't make it out of cordon without completing it. At least someone made a guide.

Some guy on Youtube did a playthrough of SGM 2.1 that you may find useful. He's not particularly good at the game or LP'ing, and I haven't watched past the first couple of episodes myself, but it's bound to be worth something.

And just you wait until you reach some of the later missions. You'll look back wistfully at the Cordon when you're trying to find Freedom gear in the Dark Valley that you're pretty sure doesn't exist :getin:

NEED TOILET PAPER
Mar 22, 2013

by XyloJW
CoP question: Is there any way to get Strider into Freedom/Duty while still getting the Man of Balance and Courier of Justice achievements? I'm not beyond doing some file-editing for that--does anyone know what files are responsible for getting a faction to like you enough to get those Monolith guys to sign up with them?

NEED TOILET PAPER
Mar 22, 2013

by XyloJW

Time to read Zinn posted:

I beat COP yesterday. It's the only one I've spent any significant time playing. Should I play SOC, or is it too old/simple in comparison?

As someone who's logged in way more time than is justifiable into CoP (:negative:) I really like SOC, but I've grown accustomed to some CoP mechanics that aren't present, ie weapon upgrades. It's definitely way more atmospheric than CoP, though, especially in the underground levels. As mentioned, be sure to pick up a good mod first, since it's still a pretty buggy game and IMO in need of some upgraded graphics to spiffy it up and make the Zone pretty(er). For your first playthrough, I recommend OGSE :getin:

NEED TOILET PAPER
Mar 22, 2013

by XyloJW
I'm getting a problem installing the Original Weapons Renewal mod for CoP in that no matter how many times I un/reinstall CoP and copy over the gamedata folder, the mod never seems to take effect and I get stuck running vanilla. Anyone had similar problems and know how to fix? This is especially strange because I already ran OWR before just fine, but decided to uninstall and reinstall it because of missing scope textures (specifically for the scoped Mosin-Nagant).

NEED TOILET PAPER
Mar 22, 2013

by XyloJW

E.Nigma posted:

Is gamedata set to true in your fsgame.ltx?

The gamedata line of fsgame.ltx right now reads:
code:
;abbreviation           = recurs|notif|  root|                  add|        ext|            description
$game_data$             = false| true|  $fs_root$|            gamedata\
FWIW, I just tried changing it to
code:
$game_data$             = true| true|  $fs_root$|            gamedata\
and
code:
$game_data$             = true| false|  $fs_root$|            gamedata\
and still no dice.

e:

Rob Ford posted:

Holy poo poo, this loving game.

I tried Shadow of Chernobyl and Prypyat way back when, and quickly stopped cause I found the combat impossible, and the rest boring.

So if I want to try again, and I dont' give a poo poo about "realism" or re-playability, what loving mods am I supposed to be using these days to make the game shiny and fun?

I just want the atmosphere that the reviews always promised, but that I never saw cause the game itself was frustrating as gently caress.

Dunno about ShoC, but for CoP you may want to look into Misery. Be warned, though: Misery is very much an adherent of the "Kick the Player in the Nuts and Stomp on Him When He Collapses" school of game design, so that may not be what you're looking for. Honestly, atmosphere is not that common in the modding scene AFAIK. Most of the CoP mods are about either polishing the existing content or adding some more, and even those additions tend to be minor things like new weapons and such. Only mod that adds new missions, areas and such that comes to mind immediately is SGM, and that's a mod that can be pretty buggy.

NEED TOILET PAPER fucked around with this message at 05:20 on Mar 18, 2014

NEED TOILET PAPER
Mar 22, 2013

by XyloJW
What do you mean by "easy to use"? Easy to install? If that's the case, then most mods that don't radically change the game ought to be fine since they tend to be a matter of copy/pasting the gamedata folder into your CoP directory and starting a new game. If you instead mean easy to understand (ie sticks to the root CoP but spices up a few things) then I'd say something like Arsenal Overhaul, Original Weapons Renewal, Pripyat Reborn, etc. I'd also try my luck with some of the translated Russian mods, but Russian modders being Russian modders they tend to add/change a ton of stuff so that may not be your cup of tea.

As far as installers go, very few mods actually use installers AFAIK since installing mods for CoP is pretty easy, moreso if you just set up a folder to your CoP directory so installing a mod is literally a few clicks and some keystrokes.

NEED TOILET PAPER
Mar 22, 2013

by XyloJW
I just started playing Road to Pripyat and sweet baby Jesus this is one unforgiving mod :catstare: I figured I'd poke around Yantar a bit and see what's up, maybe do some of the missions I got in Cordon (Yantar is literally the second area you reach in that mod) when I'm jumped by a bunch of zombies that are as accurate as William Tell. About half a dozen reloads later I finally finish them off and head into the factory since I had a mission pending there. Cue me getting ambushed by like five bloodsuckers. I climb on top of a pile of rubble since they can't reach me there when suddenly a chimera gets on my case (I guess it was attracted by all the noise?) and that was the end of me.

Такова жизнь в Зоне, Сталкер.

NEED TOILET PAPER
Mar 22, 2013

by XyloJW
Well in mods-that-aren't-as-broken-as-their-modders news, it looks like a new version of Pripyat Reborn is out, along with an optional addon that makes Zaton mutant spawns more frequent. If I'm reading all this right, the latest version is compatible with the latest version of Original Weapons Renewal 2, right? Because I might just take a break form Road to Pripyat's...taxing gameplay.

Ddraig posted:

Someone on their forums described them as the Jim Jones cult of modding :v:

This is going to be interesting.

NEED TOILET PAPER
Mar 22, 2013

by XyloJW

Am I hearing things or did he put a Crazy Frog soundclip in that anomaly?

NEED TOILET PAPER
Mar 22, 2013

by XyloJW

Ddraig posted:

You're not hearing things. This was a development version of it, though, and he said the reason he put that in was because he wanted to see if various sounds were actually firing off properly and it was rather distinctive. It's not in the final version, so don't worry :v:

As for the changes, it's basically built around ARS which is a minor mod along the lines of AMK for Call of Pripyat. Basically, any changes that ARS makes to the gameplay will be true as he's mostly just made new anomalies.

Actually, speaking of ARS, do you have a changelog on hand so that I can see what it does? Right now I have an English version of it sitting in my computer waiting to be installed but I want to know what I'm getting into.

NEED TOILET PAPER
Mar 22, 2013

by XyloJW

Ddraig posted:

That's a new merchant in Jupiter.

Let's just say you can put the fear of god into him depending on how you go about a certain mission.

e: One thing about Second Way is that there's a lot of stuff you can easily miss out on. Vano will eventually vanish if you don't do his mission on time, for example, and Sultan will vanish from the Skadovsk if you gently caress up his business.

At the risk of going into spoiler territory, does Sultan pop back up if you screw up his business? Because I can totally see him sending a bunch of bandits on your rear end for screwing everything up for him.

In any case, the mod looks really awesome and I can't wait to give it a shot :)

NEED TOILET PAPER
Mar 22, 2013

by XyloJW

Deleted and installed cop again. Then installed shoker. I can't really decipher what it says but whatever I saw the bits about steam. I started it and while it doesn't run the game the x-ray engine is running.

This sort of thing happens to me all the time. It pretty much means that the game only half-launched, and you're going to have to ctrl+alt+del and end the Xray engine process manually, then try launching again. Or, if that fails, reinstalling.

NEED TOILET PAPER
Mar 22, 2013

by XyloJW

Monolith. posted:

Paging E.Nigma to the thread. Does Owl still give info on how to get tools for upgrading guns or is that later in the actual game? Arsenal Overhaul 2.2.

AFAIK only SGM and Misery actually change the locations of the tools, so for Arsenal Overhaul you don't need to consult Owl for that unless you're trying to do something specific. And IIRC in SGM you can technically ask Owl for tool locations straight away, but because it's so expensive (the cheapest option is askign for basic tools, which is 10k, then goes up to 20k and 30k by tier of tools) that you can't unless you cheat yourself some cash.

NEED TOILET PAPER
Mar 22, 2013

by XyloJW
CoP weapon modding question: I'm trying to add a couple of weapons from Road to Pripyat to Shoker and make it so Owl and Hawaiian sell them. The only files I need to copy over are the weapon file in gamedata\configs\weapons, the models, and the textures, and modify the trader files so that they sell the weapons, right? Is there any way to make traders always sell certain items, so I can check to make sure I've implemented everything properly?

NEED TOILET PAPER
Mar 22, 2013

by XyloJW

E.Nigma posted:

Under [supplies_generic] set wpn_whatever = 1, 1

That will make it so the trader always has that weapon in stock.

OK, so here's what I have now: the only change in Hawaiian's trader file is that wpn_whatever = 1, 1 under [supplies_generic]. That's the only mention of this weapon. The weapon file itself, the textures, and the models are all there already. The only other files I can think of that would be missing are sound and what the weapon looks like on inventory and trade screens. Anyways, when Hawaiian spawns (either from my moving close to Yanov or me loading up a save in Yanov) the game makes a beep and crashes. Any pointers?

e: worth mentioning that I also tried giving values to wpn_whatever in [trade_generic_buy] as well, to the same effect.

NEED TOILET PAPER fucked around with this message at 22:18 on May 7, 2014

NEED TOILET PAPER
Mar 22, 2013

by XyloJW

E.Nigma posted:

There's something missing. You can find out what it is by checking the bottom of your last log file.

OK, here's what I found in xray_username in _appdata\logs:
code:
FATAL ERROR

[error]Expression    : fatal error
[error]Function      : CInifile::r_section
[error]File          : D:\prog_repository\sources\trunk\xrCore\Xr_ini.cpp
[error]Line          : 502
[error]Description   : <no expression>
[error]Arguments     : Can't open section 'wpn_m1891'. Please attach [*.ini_log] file to your bug report
Know what this means? It's my first time futzing around with CoP files to this extent so it doesn't mean much to me right now.

NEED TOILET PAPER
Mar 22, 2013

by XyloJW

E.Nigma posted:

In the weapons.ltx you need to add #include "w_m1891.ltx" to the list.

Any new weapon not extending from an existing one has to be added in the weapons.ltx like that.

Thanks, that did the trick! Now I'm mostly working away at the smaller stuff, so I'll probably be coming back a couple more times with questions. Here's the first one: what folder holds the idle animations? Game's crashing and the log says:
code:
FATAL ERROR

[error]Expression    : pm->m_animations.size()
[error]Function      : player_hud_motion_container::load
[error]File          : D:\prog_repository\sources\trunk\xrGame\player_hud.cpp
[error]Line          : 92
[error]Description   : motion not found [ppsh_idle]
In case you're wondering, I'm trying to add two weapons to Shoker from Way To Pripyat: the PPSh 41 and the Mosin-Nagant (which pops up in the file names as m1891), and so far only the PPSh has actually shown up on Hawaiian's inventory so that's the one I'm working on now.

NEED TOILET PAPER
Mar 22, 2013

by XyloJW

E.Nigma posted:

There's a much better MN91 from OWR 2.0 than the piece of poo poo in WTP. It would be easier to install and you get the added bonus of the SVT40, MN91 and SVD animations all in one package.

You sure it's OWR 2.0? I'm looking through the gamedata's weapon configs for that mod (and the patches/addons) and can't find a single mention of either the MN91 or SVT40. Are the files on ModDB up to date, or is there somewhere else I should be checking that does have the relevant files?

e: fwiw I managed to get the Nagant from Arsenal Overhaul working just fine. Now I only need to get the textures working (which is a bit harder than I thought it would be) dig up where the inventory/trade icon for that gun is, add the scope, and I should be all set.

NEED TOILET PAPER fucked around with this message at 06:44 on May 10, 2014

NEED TOILET PAPER
Mar 22, 2013

by XyloJW

E.Nigma posted:

In OWR the new weapons extend from the existing ones. The MN91 and SVT40 weapon parameters are in the w_svd.ltx. I keep them separate in my mod for easier access. If you haven't already, you'll have to use the SVD from my mod since whatever model you have is now incompatible with the hand animations.

I forgot you did Arsenal Overhaul! Speaking of it, actually, I've been having a tough time getting the textures to work. What file holds the folder the weapon files will looks for to get the textures? I've tried putting the mosin skins in all different kinds of folders and such within gamedata\meshes\dynamics\weapons but the gun keeps on coming up gray every time I test it out.

NEED TOILET PAPER
Mar 22, 2013

by XyloJW
I actually think Red Army Choir would clash pretty badly with the STALKER atmosphere. Remember that stalkers are generally the dregs of society out in the Real World, so having classical Russian music with lush orchestral arrangements doesn't quite jive with the personality of the games. I think more popular bands in more popular genres would blend in better. That said, I'm not familiar enough with the eastern European music scene to comment on what specifically should be included, so I'll leave that much up to the thread. The only suggestion I'm willing to make as far as annoying Russian music is Пей пиво! (Drink beer!) by Diskoteka Avariya: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z_pu-rnwOdI

e: and if you want some late-Soviet rock, you can't go wrong with Viktor Tsoi: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1E5ecygbvLg

e2:

Missing Name posted:

KINO. You can't forget them.

Dangit, beaten! Well if you want a movie reference, go for Vashe Blagorodie, from the movie White sun of the Desert (note that the video contains spoilers if you've been meaning to see that movie):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tQaxLGRCaRE

NEED TOILET PAPER fucked around with this message at 05:59 on May 15, 2014

NEED TOILET PAPER
Mar 22, 2013

by XyloJW

Monolith. posted:

Is SGM 2.2 supposed to balls to the wall hard because holy poo poo it's difficult.

Yeah, some of the new missions and areas (especially the Dark Valley and Lab X18, gently caress those places hard) are just awful. I recommend you hold off on the mod-added missions and just stick to the vanilla storyline wherever possible until you have the highest tier of everything equipped.

NEED TOILET PAPER
Mar 22, 2013

by XyloJW

Synnr posted:

It has been awhile and I wanted to play CoP again. Did they ever unfuck Misery v2 or did they continue down that inane road away from the first version? A million random items and combat not being short and vicious like version one completely turned me away from the initial release.

Or is SGM more stable now? Last time I tried playing 2.2 it was pretty uh...whacky. The mutant wave event and uncle yars quest were still buggy and corrupting and the new zones were unfinished or buggy or something (I recall an item you couldn't actually find.)

AFAIK:
The Misery devs themselves haven't totally unfucked v2, though there's at least been some patches (both official and unofficial) trying to address those problems. Maybe give it a shot? I was never much into Misery so I can't really comment on its recent developments.
SGM 2.2 is still completely botty-hosed. It ran relatively well for me, but there have been posts in this thread reporting a very unstable experience, so YMMV. I would say either go into 2.2 expecting a bug/crash every second, or playing v1.7--the more stable version--instead. FWIW, I havne't played 1.7, but found more than a few parts of 2.2 to be really irritating. I'd guess 1.7 is at least more bearable?

NEED TOILET PAPER
Mar 22, 2013

by XyloJW
If you didn't think STALKER was creepy enough, why not add in a dash of traditionally unsettling Russian cartoon characters? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_MW3iMsi204

E.Nigma posted:

Arsenal Overhaul - Clear Sky will be released tomorrow.

See the features page for the full list of weapons: http://www.moddb.com/mods/arsenal-overhaul-clear-sky/features/aocs-features

Sounds awesome, this'll be the second wind I need to give CS another go.

NEED TOILET PAPER
Mar 22, 2013

by XyloJW

E.Nigma posted:

Was this it? I encountered it in the first lab. It just stood there being very unsettling and then starting running around in circles being even more creepy. Then I blasted it full of buckshot, because gently caress whatever hell that thing crawled out of.

There's also this one.
http://stalker.wikia.com/wiki/Karlik

IIRC there was a post earlier in this thread (I don't remember by who) about some of the cut mutants, including this creepy bastard. I think it mentioned that those guys were supposed to be sneaking up on stalkers and killing them/stealing their stuff. Seems it was originally planned for them to worship human gear as part of some cultish behavior, which actually sounds pretty cool. So much cool content had to be cut from the original games :(

NEED TOILET PAPER
Mar 22, 2013

by XyloJW

staberind posted:

Any game you mod should really be duplicated elsewhere than the steam folder.

At this point I just copy/paste the vanilla folders for games in my Steam folder, paste the gamedata folders and such into the copies, and set up independent shortcuts for the .exe launchers of each. Now I just need to mow through all the modded games I have...

NEED TOILET PAPER
Mar 22, 2013

by XyloJW
So I've been on a bit of a STALKER (and video games in general) hiatus and recently decided to give Way to Pripyat another shot. Only problem is, the missions on the PDA are really vague about where I need to go (most don't even mention anything more specific than "I need to find X"), does anyone know where I can find some sort of mission guide to point me in the right direction? FWIW I'm still really early on in the mod, I only recently reached Yantar.

NEED TOILET PAPER
Mar 22, 2013

by XyloJW

Vorenus posted:

Is this the mod that showcased a player character hopping a fence and jumping on the charging handle of an AK to clear a jam? Because that was great.

That was Shoker mod. It's out now if you want to give it a whirl, which I highly recommend because not only do you get a king's ransom of new weapons, but it also makes the game run much smoother (and I mean MUCH smoother) and IIRC the graphics are updated and look pretty spiffy.

My favorite new weapon is the flamethrower. Every STALKER game should have one, it makes fighting bloodsuckers so much more satisfying :getin:

e:

E.Nigma posted:

Anyone else been following gunslinger mod? https://www.youtube.com/user/WolfKOTTO/videos

If it can do half the poo poo you see in the videos it will make any current weapon mod obsolete. So far the models and animations surpass any retail game.

- Animations for clearing jams,
- Dynamic magazines to check your ammo
- Animations for drinking water and vodka
- Multiple optic attachments like shoker mod

My jaw dropped when I saw those new animations. Holy crap, the weapons misfiring ones are so subtle but so well-done :allears:

NEED TOILET PAPER fucked around with this message at 01:07 on Jul 3, 2014

NEED TOILET PAPER
Mar 22, 2013

by XyloJW

Vorenus posted:

Sounds great, is the Valley of Whispers addon any good or should I just get Shoker? Flamethrower alone sounds great, I remember finding ammo for one in SGM but never the actual weapon.

Synnr posted:

SGM has one, it is hilariously broken to the point of downing chimeras and bloodsuckers in under 15 seconds.

Wait. Wait. Where and in what version of SGM can I find this? I only played 2.2 and it was a huge headache at times so anything that lets me burn off some steam in that mod is something I want to get my hands on.

NEED TOILET PAPER
Mar 22, 2013

by XyloJW

Monolith. posted:

You really don't like Misery, huh.

He tried the mod and had a miserable time :downsrim:

NEED TOILET PAPER
Mar 22, 2013

by XyloJW

Monolith. posted:

What mod is that?

That's SGM 2.2 (dunno if it's there in earlier versions). There's a certain point in Dark Valley, where you have a mission to go into Lab X18 to get something--I think it was some hidden documents. When you get there you greeted by gun-toting bloodsuckers (pictured) and snorks (who have apparently learned to walk upright and shoot). There's a ton of the guys as well, and they home in on you from across the building, so you could pretty much sit in a closet and gun them down as they swamped you. After you found those documents you ran smack into a mutant based on the Librarians from the Metro series and boy were those guys a pain to deal with.

SGM made some interesting design decisions, is what I'm saying here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NEED TOILET PAPER
Mar 22, 2013

by XyloJW

Avocados posted:

For all of SGM's incredible faults, that experience was great. I was already scared because of the added in bloodsucker/snork men, but I was downright terrified when I met the Librarian thing. A friend was watching me play this and thought I was hamming the experience all up since he knows I play a lot, but nope that was completely new to me and came out of the left field.

I just wish that mod figured out what it wanted to be. I've liked SGM back to 1.7, but 2.2's alternate start intro had to be the most badly designed thing ever, and some of those extra maps were all sorts of funky and crash prone.

Yeah, I freaked out when I first saw that thing. It didn't help that I over-encumbered to the point that I could barely move at all. And it wouldn't die. Not even after I shot it twice with a Gauss gun. I had to futz around with the files for the knife to make it crazy high-damage (I think I changed the values by a couple of decimal places) just so I could make it out of that place/into it when I came back for a later mission.

SGM is definitely a case of a mod that reached far to the point that the new content was still seriously flawed. And yeah, that opening in 2.2 was some serious bullshit. Overall, a really good experience, though. I think I'm going to dust it off now and play again...

NEED TOILET PAPER fucked around with this message at 01:04 on Jul 20, 2014