Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Just playing Misery for the first time. Found some cocaine, a copy of Mein Kampf, and a glucose shot. This mod loving owns.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Gestalt Intellect posted:

There's a lot of teeth and mein kampfs going around the zone. I'm not sure where they come from.

I finished misery 2.0 as USS sniper so I started over as USS recon, this time without Rookie Mode (Les Miserables does so much to make this mod tolerable it's incredible). It's pretty cool how much is different about your starting gear actually. Recon starts with a gas mask, binoculars, detector and silencer, all things which the sniper doesn't (although his starting weapons are considerably worse). You also start in a different place. Which happens to be right next to the mercenary station by the dam. Sooo I got a little greedy and had to quickload almost as many times as there were mercs but rolled into the Skadovsk with a VSS sniper, containers + artifacts, and enough trash to sell to end up with ten times the money you start with. So it's been going a little better than my sniper start all told.

That loving merc encampment is fun as gently caress to take out now. Motherfuckers love to sling grenade launcher grenades at me though.

I started as Assaulter, and its kinda weird. You start in a corner of a warehouse, and are kinda stuck if you gently caress up a box's placement and cant jump a fence. Unless you run through an anomaly I guess, but I dunno.

I'm using a .45 with Hydro Shock ammo and double-tapping Fleshes, cooking em, and then selling what I can for cash. Got an L85A2 from the Merc camp, fully repaired. This mod is so loving good. Had a few crashes though so far, but nothing game-stopping.

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Doing coke in Yannov station and listening to the radio while jerking my head rapidly up and down at about 35 degrees during an Emission.

I'm a loving great Roleplayer.

quote:

The only part that is rough is the economy - it's not a horrible grind, but you can't just make a quick 50k off of an Alpha Squad anymore. On top of that, Alpha Squads are tougher than I remember from 2.1 and 2.2, and while kiting them is the easiest method of dealing with them, more often than not you'll end up aggroing another squad. I tried to pull the squad from Yanov, from the area between the center and the Cement Factory, and ended up holed up in Zulu's tower with three or four squads sitting outside.

Halved the prices for ammo in MISERY due to this poo poo too. I'm a baddie :(

Dandywalken fucked around with this message at 04:06 on Dec 18, 2014

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Is SGM pretty much "I like STALKER, so I want more STALKER" rather than adding a ton of weird new stuff? I cant remember if I've played it or not, but my gut feeling is yes.

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Missing Name posted:

Definitely don't do MISERY then. One of their ways of making the game harder seems to be "OK, mutantdog.spawn... It says spawn 5. Eh, make it 15. Ctrl+C. Ctrl+V, Ctrl+V, Ctrl+V."

This. God drat.

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

finally, the Sharpening is upon us!

quote:

• Reduced bread cost by 1,000 RU

Communism wins!!!!!

Dandywalken fucked around with this message at 05:12 on Aug 20, 2015

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

drat, the world is empty as gently caress :(

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Gestalt Intellect posted:

You say this as if misery doesn't have situations where people and monsters will survive entire magazines while they two-shot you.

Yeah, Misery needs mods of its own or its pretty ridiculous. Its great how the FAQ/Readme tries to justify it lore-wise lol.

Modded though, Misery is a loving blast. And yeah, CoC needs OWR3. It fixes the issue entirely.

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

MariusLecter posted:

Found that out in the Jupiter Underground, made things really interesting when I tried scoring field goals between wrecked vehicles.

Also, :siren: POST YOUR CURRENT LOAD OUT! :siren:

e; Hot tip: The 'Never Again' anomaly in Red Forest is a great spot if you're hunting artifacts.

I'm poor as gently caress, and cant even afford a suit of armor thats 12k atm. How do you make so much cash? I cant sell guns due to the durability thing so I just sell ammo en masse to vendors and its not very efficent. I'll check that anomaly though.

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Sure, Dropbox or Mediafire should work great. I'd definitely appreciate a 50% version, thanks!

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Minarchist posted:

edit: also is there a way to VASTLY increase NPC spawns? The world's a bit cold and empty as it is.

This. Shits way too quiet for my liking. Is it possible to edit the global respawn timer by hand, or is that something that is sector by sector/spawn by spawn?

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Missing Name posted:

2 questions:

Is the helicopter broken and just doesn't allow for an engine sound?

Who else was disappointed that X8 is empty?

You turn it on in the options, oddly. Dunno why they made it that way, but thats how it is.

And me :(

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Yes, OWR 100% fixes the weapon issue as well as makes them plenty accurate.

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

MariusLecter posted:

AI seem to just wander into anomalies willy nilly with no regard to their own safety. Then others go to loot them or aid them, and so on and so on.

Which is funny and all but I can see how it might mess with things.

The cordon minefield is hilarious for this reason.

"Ok Private, today's patrol takes us... directly left outside the gate." and they just walk right into poo poo and die en masse.

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Where can I reliably get missions as a Military guy? I got one to give the dude a Gunsmithing kit, but nobody else has offered anything of note. Is my "turn off the Brain Scorcher" thing as far as it goes there?

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Saint Sputnik posted:

Holy poo poo Limansk, what a fun area. I'm in that underground busted up place to the north of it right now, trying to get onto the balcony in the last room before the exit. Monolith guys keep spawning up there and they can get up and down without a problem but I'm not having any luck, even stacking boxes and poo poo.

One of them had the railgun by the way, holy poo poo. And at least three have had rocket launchers (which they don't know how to use, judging by how often they blow themselves up).

Are the difficulty settings tied to the numbers of enemies that spawn? I had a total of like 12 guys in Limansk, spread through the entire area. Generally just like 2 or 3 tops in a building, but I was playing on Rookie.

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Install is CoP, run once, then CoC right?

Dodged a SVD shot meant for me apparently, because the game crashed. Such is Stalker.

Dandywalken fucked around with this message at 21:49 on Sep 27, 2016

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Just CoP.

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Monolith. posted:

Arsenal Overhaul gives you lots of cool guns with animations. E.Nigma is a hell of a modder. Make sure you get the CoC version.

It is indeed sweet as gently caress. Rocking an M16A2 and a Russian .357 revolver now.

Gotta edit the AI to drop their ammo on death though, its impossible to keep it going :( Anyone know where to do that off the top of their heads?

EDIT: Nevermind, I ~LEARNED TO AIM~ and now poo poo goes decently enough. Just emptying mags I find, and keeping good rep with the Mercs to pay for 7.62 ammo for my SCAR-H I found on a dead comrade. This gun fucks nerds up hardcore.

Found an L11A5 too, or whatever the .338 Lapua Magnum rifle is. It devastates dudes.

Dandywalken fucked around with this message at 06:47 on Sep 28, 2016

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

So whats with enemy detection in CoC? I'm getting shot at by dudes with shotguns way past effective range. It may be due to AO3, but I dont think it is.

They're hilariously alert. Is this just vanilla settings and Im used to modded?

Gotta note though, its cool as gently caress that guys with shotguns will literally sneak up crouched over to shoot you in the side/rear end.

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Vladimir Putt-Putt posted:

Don't play with hardcore AI aim

I didn't think I was. Is it only toggleable at game start?

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Yeah something's going on. They're ignoring bush cover etc too and Im being engaged after a single shot from a silenced rifle at 200+ meters. I can probably get a video of it, its really loving weird.

Wonder if I hosed up something somehow in the install. I definitely am not using the lamp. Its a big issue at times versus Monolith since in AO3 they're using Beowulf .50 for some snipers that can sometimes 1-shot you.

Dandywalken fucked around with this message at 21:54 on Sep 29, 2016

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Whats funny is that the max range for engagement is defined as 100 meters in the game files, I think. Rest assured they'll fire from way-the-gently caress beyond that. Zombies do it, even.

So you'll see pellet-tracers flying in from a zombie's shotgun and just try and aim for the muzzle flash to drop 'em :shrug:

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

I have the GoG copy of CoP. How do I use CoC as a Steam application? I cant point directly to Xray.exe or w/e because it cant find a file if I do so. And setting it to Stalker_CoC.exe just launches the launcher briefly, then the game is back to being non-Steam.

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Changing the Steam launch shortcut properties to Start In the game directory rather than the /bin directory inside it seems to have made it Steam compliant. Cant take screenshots though :(

Dandywalken fucked around with this message at 04:59 on Sep 30, 2016

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Roobanguy posted:

^ im also having that problem. the only artifact i found was from a quest reward.

so playing coc with arsenal overhual, is every gun not chambered in 7.62 or 9x39 supposed to be completely worthless against humans? even when im using armor piercing bullets with the ak74 or m16 it takes like 10 shots to down a dude if im shooting their chests, and these are for bandits. its even more ridiculous when im fighting dudes with actual armor like the military.

You find Artifacts on dead dudes a good bit of the time, since they were off wandering and are immune to anomalies themselves.

Also, yeah I was gonna say the AO3 thing seems... farty. Lack of any attachable scopes for NATO guns past the ACOG for instance really sucks, since I'd love to make my SCAR-H into a marksman variant.

Big problem with the 5.56 and 5.45 is that they are at a Power level of like 0.40, compared to loving 0.80 for 7.62x51/54 that the NATO Battle rifles and Dragunov use. 6.8mm SPC is 0.7 or 0.75. So idk why they didnt just round up 5.56 and 5.45 a bit to 0.6 power, rather than 0.4. Penetration drops off massively at range too it seems. Though for the 5.56/5.45 rifles, using the AP ammo yields much much better results than the default poo poo.

And that doesnt even start on the weird SMG/pistol damage problems. 4.7mm and 5.7mm are absolutely useless, even versus modest armor. I thought their gimmick was meant to be good armor-piercing qualities, but poor post-penetration wounds. Here, you get the latter only :(

Dandywalken fucked around with this message at 23:57 on Sep 30, 2016

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Roobanguy posted:

all the new weapons are cool, but man is it incredibly frustrating unloading into a bandit with the same ak he has, barely stagger him and then get 1 shot from his.

/Misery 2.0

You'll find that in the Zone, bandits are so over-exposed to Eastern-bloc culture that it has less of an effect on them emotionally, as well as kinetically!!!

/end Misery 2.0

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Hell yeah it did. When Ma Baker came on the radio at base I'd do three bumps and run up to the upper deck to shoot automatic weapons at any movement I saw in the reeds within 200 meters for maximum immersion.

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Yeah, Groza's bullet drop is pretty nuts. Really surprised to hear anyone tried to snipe with it.

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Vintorez has the same problem in this. You wont get hits past 100 meters :( Its a modelling issue on their part I imagine, the bullet just falls outta the air at a certain range rather than maintain a reasonable flight profile.

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Did the conversion on US dollars to rubles earlier for various ingame items.

Kind of makes scrounging for change in Misery seem even more dire when you put in perspective the relative costs of poo poo. Killing dudes for a bottle of water valued at about 40 cents is pretty loving grim.

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

All of a sudden Im getting an error loading my Misery save that references being unable to find an entry for Nimble's SVU upgrade. up_gr_firstab_svu_nimble or some such. Anyone experience that before?

Going to replace the Weapons folders totally with stock again and see if that helps.

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

juggalo baby coffin posted:

I liked a lot of the system ideas misery 2.0 had but then they went and made everything some nightmarish bullet sponge.

And they tried to justify it in the FAQ lmao

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Klaus88 posted:

I refuse to play any mod that makes soviet rifles and bullets expensive to acquire and maintain. :colbert:

This. Funnest part of the mod is using a cheap pistol and shotgun exclusively to make a living in Zone. Ammo prices sadly make that undoable in alot of cases.

Think my latest playthrough ended when I got the.338 Lapua unique M40A1 and became a king.

The issue with cans etc aren't a huge problem since you generally will be eating either stuff you hunt or MREs once you get pretty rich.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

the cats are dumb as gently caress in Anomaly. Rest is good tho.