Search Amazon.com:
Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us $3,400 per month for bandwidth bills alone, and since we don't believe in shoving popup ads to our registered users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
«3 »
vyst
Aug 25, 2009

Ask me about getting into Goonwaffe early or not taking too long to answer your emails!

Hello Ladies

From Ricky Gervais' BFF, Stephen Merchant (Writer for The Office [UK], Actor in Hall Pass) brings this comedy to HBO about a Los Angeles web designer (Stephen Merchant) that is absolutely horrible at picking up women. Think like that PUA scumbag - "Mystery" - except goon-level aspergers awkward. He rents his house to the exceptionally hot Christine Woods (Go On, Perfect Couples, FlashForward) who is a writer working on a web series.

His friends are recently divorced Nate Torrence (She's Out of Your League, Mr. Sunshine) and wheelchair-bound wingman Kevin Weisman (Clerks 2, Alias, A bunch of bit parts).

Trailer for season 1:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wPEYvhOL_dI

Goon review of episode 1: I really enjoyed this. It was awkward funny and the supporting cast gave me some nuggets to grab onto for future episodes. As someone that watches Eastbound and Down it was a nice change of pace and something that I'll be looking forward to for the rest of the season.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gret
Dec 12, 2005

goggle-eyed freak

A very solid first episode. I really enjoyed that.

NESguerilla
Jun 5, 2005

Clunk Clunk Clunk clunk

I like Stephen merchant, but this just seems like a total dud to me. I'll give it another episode or 2, but I didn't think it was very funny and the characters all seem pretty lame.

Kaizoku
Apr 4, 2003
Pirate of the High Seas

NESguerilla posted:

I like Stephen merchant, but this just seems like a total dud to me. I'll give it another episode or 2, but I didn't think it was very funny and the characters all seem pretty lame.

I think this is like Curb; in that all of the characters should seem pretty lame. I think that is the point, and you need to give it a little more time to grow. But that's just the feeling I got--following Merchant and Gervais for a decade, though, I think I'm right. Also, I don't think HBO would've signed on if this weren't the situation.

DeadMansSuspenders
Jan 10, 2012

Really enjoyed this, although cringed pretty hard at a few parts of the first episode. I think it shines because Merchant's character is so clueless as to how awkward he is, and we all have someone that we know that fits that description.

Wandle Cax
Dec 15, 2006

This was hilarious as far as cringe-humour goes. It could turn out to be a bit one-note but even so i'm sure it will continue to be pretty funny. It's somewhat like a whole show of Merchant's character from I Give it a Year, but maybe a bit less vulgar. The thing is though I think Merchant's character is aware of how hopeless he is and how little of a chance he has with these women, but he's just so blindly optimistic that he keeps trying. For instance all that drink buying just to get the attention of "Millicent Grgich" who was good natured but way out of his league.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

not all who wander are lost

I've yet to see Merchant do anything significant without Gervais. Nor Gervais without Merchant, those two should be conjoined or something to make sure they don't make garbage like this and Derek.

Bown
Jun 18, 2004

"Mmm! I'm talkin' picante!"

I saw the stand-up tour this takes its name from and it was actually really funny, so it's a shame this is so uninspired. There were a fair few laughs, but they were almost always individual lines and asides. Most of the humour comes from some of the most textbook examples of "British cringe humour" ever written, and transferring them to America doesn't make them fresh. Perhaps the worst thing is that Merchant's character is such a massive dick - Merchant has a natural charm that would work wonders if his character was the "loveable loser" type, but the way he treated his friends and his general attitude made him near-impossible to care about. The supporting cast were pretty good.

fariz
Nov 10, 2009

You either die a hero, or you live long enough to see yourself become the villain.

Really enjoyed the first episode. I like Merchant in the few things I've seen, so I'm willing to give it a chance and hope it finds its legs. It's a good starting point, and could evolve in to some sort of darker (when it was good) version of the Office, in the way the humor works. When does it start airing (if it hasn't already, Stumble Upon took me to the first episode on their website)

smg77
Apr 27, 2007
I FUCKING LOVE FATTY GOATSTEAKS!

Bown posted:

Perhaps the worst thing is that Merchant's character is such a massive dick - Merchant has a natural charm that would work wonders if his character was the "loveable loser" type, but the way he treated his friends and his general attitude made him near-impossible to care about.

This was my feeling as well. It felt like I was watching Gareth Keenan from The Office who had grown up, turned very bitter and moved to LA.

Hopefully things even out a bit as the show goes on.

MrPockets
Feb 1, 2006

Fleece lining?
Fuhgeddaboudit!

Tonight's episode was pretty good, though it wasn't as laugh-out-loud funny as I thought the first one was. For the people saying that Stuart seems like a dick, he's even more of one in this episode, and it actually came off as a little too much. I still like the show though. There were enough funny moments in this episode to keep me interested at least. I think there's still potential for it to be genuinely good, so long as it finds some direction. Hopefully Stuart becomes more likable, because it's funnier when he's a painfully awkward nice guy as opposed to a painfully awkward douchebag.

MrPockets fucked around with this message at Oct 7, 2013 around 08:48

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

Ask me about getting into Goonwaffe early or not taking too long to answer your emails!

MrPockets posted:

Tonight's episode was pretty good, though it wasn't as laugh-out-loud funny as I thought the first one was. For the people saying that Stuart seems like a dick, he's even more of one in this episode, and it actually came off as a little too much. I still like the show though. There were enough funny moments in this episode to keep me interested at least. I think there's still potential for it to be genuinely good, so long as it finds some direction. Hopefully Stuart becomes more likable, because it's funnier when he's a painfully awkward nice guy as opposed to a painfully awkward douchebag.

He seems to follow the edict that "girls like the bad boys" but instead of being confident, he translates it into being an rear end in a top hat.

Zsinjeh
Jun 11, 2007

:shoboobs:

Loving it so far. Even though it's a kind of repeated formula with cringe and embarrassing humor, but it really tickles my funny bone. I've missed the feeling I got from watching Curb Your Enthusiasm. Also Kyle is in it, so gently caress yes.

ApexAftermath
May 24, 2006

reaching
present participle of reach
To draw a conclusion based on more than a moment's thought.

Holy poo poo I watched both episodes last night and this show is hilarious. I can't related to any of you who said it wasn't funny. You crazy yo!

The cringe humor was amazing. Not since Steve Carell on the Office have I had to hide my eyes due to the awkward situations. It was refreshing to feel that again.

Peacebone
Sep 6, 2007

The part with the limo reversing and Stuart and Wade singing through the rooftop was hilarious. Favorite new show this season. Does anyone know how many episodes they are doing?

ApexAftermath
May 24, 2006

reaching

Peacebone posted:

The part with the limo reversing and Stuart and Wade singing through the rooftop was hilarious. Favorite new show this season. Does anyone know how many episodes they are doing?

Oh god the limo reversing slayed me.

I've seen people complain about the show because Stuart is unlikable. I don't even know where to begin with that stupid loving complaint. Yes as I watch it while laughing I will say "god he is such an rear end" much like I would say about Michael Scott who was also often an rear end, but an endearing rear end. Same thing here. You don't have to be black and white when watching a show, and why would you want to be? Seems like an excellent way to totally miss out on some great stuff.

burf
Feb 1, 2005
Transaction Record:

ApexAftermath posted:

Holy poo poo I watched both episodes last night and this show is hilarious. I can't related to any of you who said it wasn't funny. You crazy yo!

The cringe humor was amazing. Not since Steve Carell on the Office have I had to hide my eyes due to the awkward situations. It was refreshing to feel that again.

Between this and Eastbound and Down, HBO seems to be trying to kill me with cringe humour

Wandle Cax
Dec 15, 2006

Peacebone posted:

There's 8 eps in the first season.

Bown
Jun 18, 2004

"Mmm! I'm talkin' picante!"

ApexAftermath posted:

Oh god the limo reversing slayed me.

I've seen people complain about the show because Stuart is unlikable. I don't even know where to begin with that stupid loving complaint. Yes as I watch it while laughing I will say "god he is such an rear end" much like I would say about Michael Scott who was also often an rear end, but an endearing rear end. Same thing here. You don't have to be black and white when watching a show, and why would you want to be? Seems like an excellent way to totally miss out on some great stuff.

It is not the same thing because the character here is not endearing in any way and has no positive traits. He's just a douchebag. And man, I dunno about you, but I've seen more than enough "ha ha look at the silly rear end in a top hat paying for his own hubris!" shows to be excited about this one, especially when the lead actor's personality makes him a much better choice for a more likeable role. Hope that clears up any problems you have with differing opinions.

Wandle Cax
Dec 15, 2006

Bown posted:

It is not the same thing because the character here is not endearing in any way and has no positive traits. He's just a douchebag. And man, I dunno about you, but I've seen more than enough "ha ha look at the silly rear end in a top hat paying for his own hubris!" shows to be excited about this one, especially when the lead actor's personality makes him a much better choice for a more likeable role. Hope that clears up any problems you have with differing opinions.

Some people might find his boundless optimism and bumbling perseverance to be endearing, and he's not really being an rear end in a top hat on purpose. And his "hubris" is completely unearned and undeserved which makes it funny. Also he seems more or less kind to his friends which would be a positive trait. But there you go, that's just another opinion for you.

ApexAftermath
May 24, 2006

reaching

Wandle Cax posted:

Some people might find his boundless optimism and bumbling perseverance to be endearing, and he's not really being an rear end in a top hat on purpose. And his "hubris" is completely unearned and undeserved which makes it funny. Also he seems more or less kind to his friends which would be a positive trait. But there you go, that's just another opinion for you.

Pretty much this.

fleshweasel
Aug 23, 2004

Weasels Ripped My Flesh

Stare-Out posted:

I've yet to see Merchant do anything significant without Gervais. Nor Gervais without Merchant, those two should be conjoined or something to make sure they don't make garbage like this and Derek.

I haven't seen this but I watched Derek and found it funny and moving. What gives?

Slum Village
Oct 5, 2013

Another point: I don't think David Brent was ever likable except maybe in the finale. He was always way more out for number 1 than Stuart has been and it worked fine there.

lexan
Apr 24, 2004

Someday I'll be a big producer on Broadway, and you'll be singin' your opera in the street with a tin cup in your hand!

Stare-Out posted:

I'm enjoying Hello, Ladies, and I liked the standup routine it was based on as well. I haven't been able to stand anything Gervais did without Merchant, though--his standup is awful, The Invention of Lying was boring, and while I haven't yet watched it, the trailers for Derek are not inspiring.

I think Merchant without Gervais > Gervais without Merchant.

ApexAftermath
May 24, 2006

reaching

Slum Village posted:

Another point: I don't think David Brent was ever likable except maybe in the finale. He was always way more out for number 1 than Stuart has been and it worked fine there.

This is also a great point. Also on the US Office Michael Scott is pretty unlikable in those first episodes. Sorry Bown but your opinion is bullshit.

Paperhouse
Dec 31, 2008

I think
your hair
looks much
better
pushed
over to
one side

You weren't supposed to like or support David (or Michael in the first series) though, they were meant to be insufferable twats and the show was balanced by having other characters to root for. You're meant to like and support Merchant's character in this but it's a bit hard when he's completely unlikable

NESguerilla
Jun 5, 2005

Clunk Clunk Clunk clunk

Not to mention all of the other characters being unlikeable (in my opinion at least).

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

fleshweasel posted:

I haven't seen this but I watched Derek and found it funny and moving. What gives?
I thought the character of Derek was ridiculous for all the wrong reasons. Gervais can only play pretty much one character decently which is just himself. The whole show felt really clumsily manipulative with lingering shots of solitary old people and Einaudi playing in the background, and the Kevin character was just "har har isn't he weird and gross!" I did like Karl Pilkington though but I'd watch him in anything.

lexan posted:

I'm enjoying Hello, Ladies, and I liked the standup routine it was based on as well. I haven't been able to stand anything Gervais did without Merchant, though--his standup is awful, The Invention of Lying was boring, and while I haven't yet watched it, the trailers for Derek are not inspiring.

I think Merchant without Gervais > Gervais without Merchant.
Merchant can be funny, definitely, he has some really good anecdotes and knows how to tell them, but his standup fell really flat for me. What else has he done on his own post-Gervais besides his standup and this?

gret
Dec 12, 2005

goggle-eyed freak

Stare-Out posted:

Merchant can be funny, definitely, he has some really good anecdotes and knows how to tell them, but his standup fell really flat for me. What else has he done on his own post-Gervais besides his standup and this?

He's been in a few movies: Hall Pass, The Tooth Fairy, and I Give It A Year.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

gret posted:

He's been in a few movies: Hall Pass, The Tooth Fairy, and I Give It A Year.
Sorry, I meant something he's been more involved in like writing or directing. Also all three of those movies look completely abysmal.

Abu Dave
Mar 31, 2012

That episode was so brutal to watch.

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

Abu Dave posted:

That episode was so brutal to watch.

I'm not going to lie I used to be goony as gently caress like Stuart in regards to text message response etiquette. So it was pretty hilariously sad to watch.

Pimparoo
Jul 29, 2013

vyst posted:

I'm not going to lie I used to be goony as gently caress like Stuart in regards to text message response etiquette. So it was pretty hilariously sad to watch.

I haven't seen this show but I have to ask. What's "text message response etiquette"? I always just responded to my text messages without any special rules. Now I'm afraid I've been doing something wrong all this time.

Wandle Cax
Dec 15, 2006

Pimparoo posted:

I haven't seen this show but I have to ask. What's "text message response etiquette"? I always just responded to my text messages without any special rules. Now I'm afraid I've been doing something wrong all this time.

Waiting a certain amount of time before responding so you seem busy etc. Watch episode 3 of this show.

TheRationalRedditor
Jul 17, 2000

WHO ABUSED HIM. WHO ABUSED THE BOY.

This show's alright and I really like its aesthetic and tone, but man oh man are these faux pas the protagonists making becoming less and less believable. I know Merchant is making a specific effort to not repeat any of the classics of The Office or Extras but some of these incidents are just too absurdly contrived or pat and you can see the gears grinding through.

The musical score and licensing selections are pretty choice, however!

Duro
May 1, 2013
Seriously, why are you pressing the reply button next to this post? Where has your life gone so wrong that you've found yourself even contemplating that?

Think of your fellow posters!

I should be on your ignore list already.

I hope I'm not the only one that fast forwards through incredibly awkward poo poo, because I couldn't finish the hot tub scene.

I know it's television, entertainment, exaggerated, etc..... but as someone that knows how to interact socially with other human beings, it just kills me to see how these characters act on this show.

victorious
Jul 2, 2007

As a youth I prayed, "Give me chastity and continence, but not yet."

TheRationalRedditor posted:

The musical score and licensing selections are pretty choice, however!

Yeah if nothing else, the music in this show is great.

Wandle Cax
Dec 15, 2006

Looks like we've got a pattern going, Stuart actually starts to do well, gets people to like him and such, then ruins it all with a horrific blunder. Funny but hard to watch.

e: check out the imdb page for this show:

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt2378794/?ref_=nv_sr_1

i've seen all the eps but haven't even noticed the star of the show, Will C!

Wandle Cax fucked around with this message at Oct 21, 2013 around 08:27

Super Aggro Crag
Apr 23, 2008

In nomine Patris, et Filii, et Spiritus Sancti, etc etc...

Holy poo poo, this show is almost as cringe worthy as Curb. I like it. Stuart is such a dumbass.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001

Duro posted:

I hope I'm not the only one that fast forwards through incredibly awkward poo poo, because I couldn't finish the hot tub scene.

This is like saying "I watch Breaking Bad but I fast forward through all the parts about meth."

«3 »