Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tupping Liberty
Mar 17, 2008

Never cross an introvert.

Lady Frenzy posted:

Don't care about the Hook and Emma kiss next week which is obviously fanservice and will probably not be what it seems

I swear to god if Neal sees this and interprets it as Hook and Emma together I'm going to curse this show. I HATE that drama, it's so typical...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ashez2ashes
Aug 15, 2012

Tupping Liberty posted:

Awesome, thanks!

Um, what he/she told you is not correct in the mythos of this show. Cora was Regina's mother. Since they mention that Jefferson has left and hasn't been back for awhile, I think you can surmise that this is post Cora. The current Red Queen probably seized power after Cora left. Actually, Wonderland and Storybrooke's timelines make perfect sense, it's Alice that's doesn't match up with everything else. I can't figure out if she's from the past, another dimension, or the past AND another dimension.

Did anyone else really enjoy Regina's smirk when she heard that Tamara and Greg's deaths?

ashez2ashes fucked around with this message at 03:41 on Oct 23, 2013

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Steven doesn't want me watching him sleep anymore.

ashez2ashes posted:

I can't figure out if she's from the past, another dimension, or the past AND another dimension.

According to the showrunners said she's from an Earth-like alternate world, like the Frankenstein dimension. I ended up looking that up because as you say, what the show has shown pretty much doesn't make any sense at all.

Merlinicus posted:

The entire encounter was colored by "magic is bad because my dad is the dark one and turned evil after he became powerful." Nothing about any context of knowing what's going on in the specific situation, no recognition of Pan when the girl comes back and explains what was happening, etc.

Ah, you're totally right, I didn't really remember that episode that well. Yeah, it seems like they probably didn't come up with Baelfire's previous Pan encounter until after they wrote those scenes. This show is just ridiculous with the "secret past" stuff, you may as well assume that any two given characters have probably encountered eachother in the past and/or are related.

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax
I have to say I'm really enjoying Wonderland. The pilot was a little manic and felt a bit like a clip show, but the second episode tightened the focus and was, consequently, a huge improvement. Compared to the flagship series, Wonderland's small cast and focused story is refreshing.

XboxPants posted:

According to the showrunners said she's from an Earth-like alternate world, like the Frankenstein dimension. I ended up looking that up because as you say, what the show has shown pretty much doesn't make any sense at all.

By season 4 we're going to need a Crisis in Infinite Fairy Tales to clean up this universe's convoluted continuity.

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Steven doesn't want me watching him sleep anymore.

Irish Joe posted:

I have to say I'm really enjoying Wonderland. The pilot was a little manic and felt a bit like a clip show, but the second episode tightened the focus and was, consequently, a huge improvement. Compared to the flagship series, Wonderland's small cast and focused story is refreshing.

By season 4 we're going to need a Crisis in Infinite Fairy Tales to clean up this universe's convoluted continuity.

Personally I'm looking forward to some Wookiees. Or at least Ewoks, c'mon Disney pump that license.

Kraps
Sep 9, 2011

This avatar was paid for by the Silent Majority.
I really like Neal's character. He knows a lot about both worlds, is handy with magic, is the least dramatic of everyone I think, and doesn't stand on ceremony all the time like the rest of the people from the magical worlds.

I don't think there's anything wrong with Pan's acting. Any overacting just seems to be on purpose; after all he is a smug and pompous little rear end in a top hat who is in control of everything and he knows it and flaunts it.

Tupping Liberty
Mar 17, 2008

I also really like Neal. I feel like he knows the most, having been in so many universes...

RE: Wonderland and timelines. Now that you mention that Alice is probably from a different universe than Storybrooke, I wonder if she's from the same one as the Darlings - old timey English universe.

Merlinicus
May 3, 2011

Tupping Liberty posted:

RE: Wonderland and timelines. Now that you mention that Alice is probably from a different universe than Storybrooke, I wonder if she's from the same one as the Darlings - old timey English universe.

That's a possibility. It's also entirely possible that the Darlings are from the real-world universe and he was in Neverland for many years. That alternative would also account for the gap in history between when he arrives in "land without magic" and how he doesn't appear to be very old. I don't think we know enough about his Neverland years to really say for sure which of the two options is more plausible.

VBane
Oct 31, 2011
Okay

1. More Character Crossover - Like it
2. Knave of Hearts being Will Scarlett - Like it
3. 1st Actual Proof of Star Wars stuff in the Once multiverse - Flipping My poo poo

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?
I like how the actor who plays the Knaves is on a network show while he horrible racist sister is busy doing community service.

Daric
Dec 23, 2007

Shawn:
Do you really want to know my process?

Lassiter:
Absolutely.

Shawn:
Well it starts with a holla! and ends with a Creamsicle.

VBane posted:

Okay

1. More Character Crossover - Like it
2. Knave of Hearts being Will Scarlett - Like it
3. 1st Actual Proof of Star Wars stuff in the Once multiverse - Flipping My poo poo

wait what, did I miss the Star Wars stuff?

VBane
Oct 31, 2011

Daric posted:

wait what, did I miss the Star Wars stuff?

When Jafar and The Red Queen were going through the book of monsters, between the Momerath and the Bandersnatch, she said this...(and I paraphrase)

"Here's one. The Sarlacc. Digestion takes a thousands years. That would give her plenty of time to make a wish."

Daric
Dec 23, 2007

Shawn:
Do you really want to know my process?

Lassiter:
Absolutely.

Shawn:
Well it starts with a holla! and ends with a Creamsicle.
Oh I haven't watched the last couple episodes of wonderland yet

VBane
Oct 31, 2011
Oh, sorry. Was responding to tonight's episode,

bbf2
Nov 22, 2007

"The White Shadow"
I don't watch either show but I know about some of the batshit insane details of it thanks to everyone talking about it on tumblr.

Can someone explain to me why JAFAR is in Wonderland? I looked it up on wikipedia and apparently every other character is from Alice in Wonderland except they have Jafar from Aladdin randomly thrown in there.

nelson
Apr 12, 2009
College Slice

bbf2 posted:

Can someone explain to me why JAFAR is in Wonderland? I looked it up on wikipedia and apparently every other character is from Alice in Wonderland except they have Jafar from Aladdin randomly thrown in there.
AladdinGenie is there too.
e: oops

nelson fucked around with this message at 18:44 on Oct 25, 2013

Miniature Moose
Mar 14, 2009
Did I miss Aladdin or have they not shown him yet (if he's going to be in this series)? I thought other than Jafar, only the Genie (Cyrus) was there - however, he DOES have Aladdin's hairstyle.

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

bbf2 posted:

Jafar went to Wonderland to retrieve the lamp. As for Aladdin, maybe he's the one who accidentally sent the lamp to Wonderland when the 'free Genie' wish went awry?

VBane
Oct 31, 2011

bbf2 posted:

I don't watch either show but I know about some of the batshit insane details of it thanks to everyone talking about it on tumblr.

People cross worlds all the time. The Knave of Hearts, Red Queen, Queen of Hearts and Mad Hatter were all originally from the world of The Enchanted Forest. The Lamp ended up in Wonderland, taking Cyrus the Genie (the second genie we've seen so far, the first fell in love with The Evil Queen and ended up becoming trapped in the form of the Magic Mirror) at some point and Jafar came looking for it.

Grendel and a Sarlacc are in Wonderland too.

VBane fucked around with this message at 20:28 on Oct 25, 2013

Tupping Liberty
Mar 17, 2008

Well obviously I was wrong when I posted somewhere - Coach Chat maybe - that you probably wouldn't need to watch OUaT original to watch Wonderland, now that Robin Hood's shown up in both places.

Merlinicus
May 3, 2011

Tupping Liberty posted:

Well obviously I was wrong when I posted somewhere - Coach Chat maybe - that you probably wouldn't need to watch OUaT original to watch Wonderland, now that Robin Hood's shown up in both places.

There hasn't been any direct backstory you need from the other show yet. Some crossover, yes, but nothing you absolutely miss contentwise if you aren't watching both shows.

Tooter
Nov 12, 2003

I like Wonderland, but the heavy use of bad CGI on the backgrounds is really jarring to me. As for the multiverse/time travel. The only thing I'm a little confused about is how Alice went from being a little girl to an adult getting hitched to the genie. I'm all right with the looking glass letting the Knave jump wherever and whenever he wants to. Alice's timeline is just a bit confusing to me.

ShakeZula
Jun 17, 2003

Nobody move and nobody gets hurt.

Tooter posted:

I like Wonderland, but the heavy use of bad CGI on the backgrounds is really jarring to me. As for the multiverse/time travel. The only thing I'm a little confused about is how Alice went from being a little girl to an adult getting hitched to the genie. I'm all right with the looking glass letting the Knave jump wherever and whenever he wants to. Alice's timeline is just a bit confusing to me.

I think the implication was that after her initial visit and return, she spent years trying to convince people it was real and being considered crazy. After she had grown into a teenager, she decided to go back and find proof. This is when she met Cyrus, and it appears she just stayed in Wonderland for a long time after meeting him with no intention of returning home. After he "died," though, she went back and, still thought to be crazy and now having been missing for years (time seems to move faster in Alice's home dimension than in Wonderland) they put her in an asylum.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
I gotta say, Wonderland is the silliest, corniest show I've seen in a long time and I'm absolutely loving it. It's so goofy and self-serious but I can't stop watching. Also I love that Jaffar shows up somewhat randomly as is A. Sayid from LOST and B. dressed nearly identically to Jaffar from Aladdin. It's such a blatant "hey remember that movie you liked as a kid?" that I can't help but applaud. I get the feeling this isn't/won't be the only time in the show I'll think that.

More in general, I'm a huge sucker for kitschy cliched high fantasy, and I also watched every episode of LOST, so I don't know why I waited until now to get into this show. Luckily Wonderland seems mostly separate from OUAT because I'm only four or five episodes into the main series while simultaneously keeping current with Wonderland (but my girlfriend is watching the current season too?)

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

C-Euro posted:

B. dressed nearly identically to Jaffar from Aladdin. It's such a blatant "hey remember that movie you liked as a kid?" that I can't help but applaud. I get the feeling this isn't/won't be the only time in the show I'll think that.

This is Once Upon a Time's bread and butter. There are so many references to Disney films.

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax
Yeah, Wonderland is really good. Its perfect blend of sincerity and cheese reminds me of Doctor Who or Legend of the Seeker. Its a shame more people aren't watching because its easily the best 'new' series that premiered this fall.

fork bomb
Apr 26, 2010

:shroom::shroom:

I think they did a great job casting Peter Pan. He is a good approximation of the Disney character, and he's right on the cusp of young/mature. I'm digging the fact that he's a bad guy, and I can't wait to learn more about him.

Regina is my favorite character, and the fact that she genuinely loves Henry is what's kept her from being one-dimensionally evil.

Next week: mermaid off the port bow!

Edited for spelling. And to say that the Pegasus sail was cool as hell.

fork bomb fucked around with this message at 06:33 on Oct 28, 2013

nelson
Apr 12, 2009
College Slice
A flying ship. How awesome is that? I loved the Hook back story as well. Also Hook and Emma. Supposedly a one-time thing but what the hell there could be some good drama there. He's not the father of her son, but he's got a pirate ship and he saved her dad's life. That's good enough in my book.

Merlinicus
May 3, 2011
Some Hook backstory, very cool. Still not sure how he ended up back in Neverland, but I'm sure we'll get there.

I agree that Pan is pretty solid. We're slowly starting to learn more about him as well (although he's admittedly still pretty mysterious), and I think he's a great adaptation from the original character.

Charming still being extremely annoying.

Flatscan
Mar 27, 2001

Outlaw Journalist

Merlinicus posted:

Some Hook backstory, very cool. Still not sure how he ended up back in Neverland, but I'm sure we'll get there.

He used the magic bean after Rumple killed his wife and cut off his hand.

Merlinicus
May 3, 2011

Flatscan posted:

He used the magic bean after Rumple killed his wife and cut off his hand.

All right, you raise a good point that we already knew that part. So, most of the missing backstory for Hook is "life as a pirate in the enchanted forest" (probably boring) and "what happened in Neverland, since apparently he worked for Pan at some point" (probably extremely interesting and will come up this season).

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines
Haha, I guess this pretty much confirms that they just silently dropped Emma's lie detection talent? I mean, that was a pretty bold-faced lie Charming told, and Emma believed him terribly easily.

Kraps
Sep 9, 2011

I hope Hook only pretends to help Pan because I want that little brat to go down :argh:

The reason I think this is because Hook has a very strong and fine-tuned sense of honor.

Kraps fucked around with this message at 14:09 on Oct 30, 2013

fork bomb
Apr 26, 2010

XboxPants posted:

According to the showrunners said she's from an Earth-like alternate world, like the Frankenstein dimension.

They did a fantastic job with the Dr. Frankenstein dimension. I love how it was all gritty black and white. We probably won't go back to that world, but I thought it was very cool.

Current season chat: Didn't Pan make a statement about the heart of a True Believer alluding to needing the heart itself?

I'd like to see some follow up to ends left open in the earlier seasons, like Charming's ex-wife (did they ever get a divorce?) finding her prince that works at the elementary school.

fork bomb
Apr 26, 2010

Kraps posted:

I hope Hook only pretends to help Pan because I want that little brat to go down :argh:

The reason I think this is because Hook has a very strong and fine-tuned sense of honor.

Pan has honored all agreements that we've been shown.

Kraps
Sep 9, 2011

fork bomb posted:

Pan has honored all agreements that we've been shown.

Yeah and so has Rumple, but their deals have generally been crap.

foxatee
Feb 27, 2010

That foxatee is always making a Piggles out of herself.
Alright, I just powered through this entire show. I cannot possibly be the only person to find Snow and Charming irritating. This whole self-righteous, holier than thou art poo poo is aggravating, and I hope they die. Seriously. Rumple continues to be my favorite character, although I'm liking Neal. I have a love/hate relationship with Regina. She does some hosed up things, but holy crap balls does she have some serious childhood issues. Man. Too bad Snow and Charming are such douchebags that she never got to really change for Henry. I was really cheering for her. :(: In fact, this entire show is a lesson on how not to be a lovely parent. :psyduck:

Liking this season so far. It's a lot better than last season.

Manos del Sino
Apr 12, 2004

Original Pony
Soiled Meat

foxatee posted:

Alright, I just powered through this entire show. I cannot possibly be the only person to find Snow and Charming irritating.

My roomie has this notion that Charming is actually a Villain by nature, much like his twin, and that why he is so insufferable - playing the good guy is a terrible fit for him and anathema to his very being.

Snow's just naturally insufferable.

LEFTENANT RIGHTIE
Dec 29, 2008
LONGWINDED MISOGYNY GIMMICK

Manos del Sino posted:

My roomie has this notion that Charming is actually a Villain by nature, much like his twin, and that why he is so insufferable - playing the good guy is a terrible fit for him and anathema to his very being.

That would be way too cool a twist for this show. If they did that right that would have been awesome.

I used to really not mind the Charmings, especially after season 1 when they were the pinnacle of annoying and the obnoxious soap opera story got dropped. I thought Daddy Charming with some balls on him wasn't so bad.

But jesus christ this season have they been annoying. Ever since that wonderfully nuanced scene with Snow White and Regina where Regina goes 'There's darkness in your heart... Here, let me physically pull it out and show it to you, see, right there, some darkness. Yep. Darkness of the heart is this little black smudge somewhere in your aorta.' Snow White's just been a huge pain.

Regina was actually the one who always kind of got on my nerves with the 'I make dumb decisions left and right but look at my sad backstory,' but this season it really feels like the character is moving forward in her arc. By season two it was like they were having her act comically 'evil' for, at times, no purpose at all. Now the more distant she becomes from the Charmings the more we're shown she is growing as a character, whereas the Charmings are now stuck in the melodramatic rut she used to be in. The writers need to understand they're not writing a disney animated movie, part of the fun of writing fairytale characters for a drama is you get to have more fleshed out characters with more layered motivations and struggles and goals. Enough with the 'the power of good' monologues.

Sometimes it's like these writers have these golden opportunities for characterization and then go 'Eh... nah.' You don't need characters to act dumb or obtuse in order to generate conflict; that's not conflict, that's melodrama, and it's the opposite of engaging conflict- it's boring.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nelson
Apr 12, 2009
College Slice

Manos del Sino posted:

Snow's just naturally insufferable.
I liked her when she was a thief on the run who liked shooting things with her arrows.

nelson fucked around with this message at 01:48 on Nov 1, 2013

• Locked thread