Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I enjoyed Wonderland a lot, so it's a bit disappointing that they've gotten Michael Socha in season four and they aren't really doing anything with him so far. :(

I suppose it's because they have this Frozen story arc going on, but given how half-hearted (if that) they're being about him, I don't imagine he'll do anything more in the second half.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

First touch: Life.
Second touch: Dead again. Forever.
Oh good, someone else here liked Wonderland.

I wish it had a physical release.

:(

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Sober posted:

I wish it had a physical release.

Yes, I would also like that. I'm quite surprised it hasn't gotten one.

I have also looked ahead and note that Michael Socha isn't in the fifth season cast, so I suppose Will Scarlet's story (i.e. how he gets back to Wonderland) isn't something that's ever properly resolved?

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I've finished the fourth season, and I was right! Will Scarlet may as well not have been there!

That disappointment aside, what was there was generally good. However, I think this is somewhere where their format (each season is two story arcs) was misjudged, because the Frozen storyline at the start could have managed with fewer episodes while the Queens of Darkness / Author story in the second half probably would have benefitted from a couple more. Good on the whole, though.

Anyway, there's a couple of months before the DVD for season five comes out in the UK (that's how I watch things), but I'm going to take a wild guess and say that the plot point they introduced right at the end of the season four finale (the identity of Lily's father) is something else that never goes anywhere? Just call it a hunch.

Troposphere
Jul 11, 2005

psycho killer
qu'est-ce que c'est?
lily never even shows up again I don't think lol

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Oh, good grief. :rolleyes:

cailleask
May 6, 2007

Welp. It's back. That bird CGI was as bad as ever. I choked up laughing when its eyes went all glowy and red.

Also I can't look at Hook and not gag anymore. I've gone from somewhat liking him in S2 to being mildly annoyed by 3-4 to actively disliking him every time he shows his dumb mansplaining untrusting whiny face and inevitably uses it to bring Emma down or get something from her.

Troposphere
Jul 11, 2005

psycho killer
qu'est-ce que c'est?
their relationship makes me physically ill to the point where I haven't finished last season and probably won't start this one because it's so bad and dumb and has ruined emma's character beyond recognition

I really liked emma :( she sucks so hard now

Binary Logic
Dec 28, 2000

Fun Shoe

Troposphere posted:

their relationship makes me physically ill to the point where I haven't finished last season and probably won't start this one because it's so bad and dumb and has ruined emma's character beyond recognition

Even with her power to know when people are lying Emma has always had terrible, untrustworthy secret-holding boyfriends.

But this show feels like it is just going in circles now.

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines
Hahaha Emma needed only like 3 minutes of screentime before she started keeping secrets again. There's also Henry quickly speculating that Robin is not obliterated-dead, opening the door for his return at some point. Then there's Regina, who doesn't seem to have any noticeable change in her personality after ripping her soul in half, except now there's a purely evil version of her running around too.

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

Troposphere posted:

At this point I kinda just actively ignore Hook. Other than some of his flashback stuff which is great yeah I dunno why he and Emma are still a thing.

Pan Dulce
Jan 4, 2011

Beautiful cinnamon roll too good for this world, too pure

Red parrot... glowy eyes staff... a knowledge of fairy tales where you know Disney films... an ability to detect lies... why the hell does Emma not see that this is a trap?

Troposphere
Jul 11, 2005

psycho killer
qu'est-ce que c'est?
because emma is a goddamn moron now

Nobby
Sep 10, 2006

Everyone cries when they're stabbed. There's no shame in that.
Now? That whole family has always had a room-temperature IQ. Cumulatively.

cailleask
May 6, 2007

Also in case anyone else was panicking, it looks like Lily Sparks has moved to TV Guide: http://www.tvguide.com/news/once-upon-a-time-the-savior-photo-recap/

Troposphere
Jul 11, 2005

psycho killer
qu'est-ce que c'est?
emma at least used to have her lie detector super power(which I still don't know if that was literal or not) now she just mopes around and looks constipated while hook does stuff for her

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Is the Jafar in this season likely to have anything at all to do with the Jafar from Wonderland?

DapperDinosaur
May 27, 2012

This is what America's next drag super star does...

She works for a living.
Everything about this show is the worst but in a way it's kind of comforting. I'm happy to know that when I watch Once Upon a Time, I'll be watching pure garbage and I can count on it.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

As long as Regina keeps wearing those hot dresses I'll keep watching.

cailleask
May 6, 2007

Regina v Regina. Rumple did the voice. Hook owned up to being a douche to women.

this is amazing :sotw: everything is amazing

Binary Logic
Dec 28, 2000

Fun Shoe
Evil Queen's shoulder pads

cailleask
May 6, 2007

Regina sexxing up everyone.

Regina sexxing up Regina: "We like it rough."

I just can't even. I don't understand how we went from last season to this place, right now. I felt like maybe I hallucinated that entire episode.

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

So cool to see Craig Horner pop up in the guest credits and then he's the main story this episode. I miss Legend of the Seeker so much.

Glad it seems like this season is gonna be an interesting reprise of season 1, one of my favourite seasons.

Pan Dulce
Jan 4, 2011

Threw up a little watching the Evil Queen trying to jump in on Rumple's business. Both in present and in gold lizard form. I keep flashing back to the notion that he slept with Cora and for a quick second, thought Regina might be his child.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

I hope in this season, Snow and Charming slowly reform the Evil Queen to make her forgive everyone like they did Regina, and then the Evil Queen rips a second Evil Queen out of her, and they have to reform that one two, until there are at least twenty Reginas around in various stages of redemption, until finally the Wicked Witch screams that she cannot drink one more appletini or look at one more bad split-screen shot and burns down the Storybrooke baseball stadium where the Regina Redemptions are playing against the Evil Queen Genocides.

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

Favorite scenes from today:

Regina walking into the prison to see Mr. Hyde, only to find that he'd set up a fully furnished evil office in his cell, complete with candlelit dining table and steak dinner.

"I thought Dopey turned into a tree."
"No, we fixed that weeks ago. We don't sit around waiting for you to do everything."

"I'm sorry your stepmother killed your boyfriend, but look! I'm engaged!"

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

How did Dopey get his masters in weeks? Trump University?

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

GreenNight posted:

How did Dopey get his masters in weeks? Trump University?

"He left to get his Masters degree," means he is taking classes, not, like picking up the degree. Dopey will be back in season 10 with a lot of debt, but instead of working as one of the miners, he'll keep a spreadsheet of fairy dust and write meeting minutes, and get paid a little more than Grumpy does.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

I guess no one really gives a poo poo about this show anymore. Not too surprised.

cailleask
May 6, 2007

Yeah. They're just sort of telegraphing things so obviously lately. More than they used to, even. I think they might actually be writing this show for my toddler? Everyone going on and on about how Hook is so great now, as if that will fix all the horrible things he's done. The business with Jekyll and Hyde.

On the plus side, Belle is finally developing a spine, which I would not have given them the guts to do.

Most people I know have stopped watching.

Troposphere
Jul 11, 2005

psycho killer
qu'est-ce que c'est?
the last season left such a bad taste in my mouth it's hard to watch when I don't like or relate to the main character anymore

I think the only people left are the hook fangirls

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I'm finding OUAT less enjoyable because fewer people are posting in this thread; in the last two or three years it had taken the place of Dexter as the show that I was watching because the thread's commentary surpassed the show's quality.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

I don't really have any jokes to make about this episode. I will say that even though everyone saw the "twist" with Jekyll and Hyde coming a million miles away, it's probably the best choice they could have made for OUAT. At least it kind of makes Jekyll the Nice Guy version of Hyde and paints them both as horrible monsters. That's more than I can say for the Count of Monte Cristo, which was obviously written by some people who had seen one of the movies and never read the source material. :lol: at the Jasmine thing being a big revelation, though. Not only is it telegraphed pretty hard in the episode but every advertisement for the series has endlessly focused in on Jasmine and Aladdin, did they think people wouldn't notice?

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

There is no way that the teachers aid can show that much cleavage and expect the high school students to learn anything.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

GreenNight posted:

There is no way that the teachers aid can show that much cleavage and expect the high school students to learn anything.

That is very true to life though, in my experience.

cailleask
May 6, 2007

Even the Lily Sparks reviews had been lackluster.

Except this week. This week is okay. I REFUSE to get my hopes up!

Pan Dulce
Jan 4, 2011

I finally saw it and was kind of disappointed with this episode. There was no shock value to most reveals and we get Rumple being a dick and getting no comeuppance for it. But at the very least, Dr. Ludgate from Alice in Wonderland came out this episode, still an rear end in a top hat. I don't care what y'all say, I liked Belle growing a spine and Hook being a better person. At least that has some character development.

Sucks that Mr. Hyde had to die. His actor was kind of interesting.

John F Bennett
Jan 30, 2013

I always wear my wedding ring. It's my trademark.

Robert Carlyle negotiated a much needed haircut with the producers of the show.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

John F Bennett posted:

Robert Carlyle negotiated a much needed haircut with the producers of the show.

He had to get a haircut for Trainspotting 2 and had to wear a wig for the first couple episodes lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

John F Bennett
Jan 30, 2013

I always wear my wedding ring. It's my trademark.

There's going to be a Trainspotting 2?? :O

• Locked thread