Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

All caught up and ready to take part. I dig this show. Yeah it's soapy and silly and all that jazz, but its a show about Disney faery tales. Complaining that its too much like a Isney faery tale is like ordering a Quarter Pounder and then complaining its too greasy and bad for you. You got what you ordered. I can even say with confidence that this is not a show where you can say it should be done better. No, this is exactly what a Live Action Disney Faery Tale Mish Mash should be. OP is spot on. Its your kid imagination run wild.

And I'm cool with Henry.
I dislike Kid Snow, get kind of tired of Mary Margeret, but love Enchanted Forest/Flashback Snow.
Rumplestiltskin is the best.

I'm excited to be away from Storybrooke for awhile and into the much more interesting magic lands, but I'll miss Red/Ruby and Grumpy/Lloyd. Not that they were really doing much but still. I think it will be nice when we see them again, assuming we do. I assume there will be Enchanted Forest flashback appearences at least.

I'm excited for new characters. I think that's the best part for me, the hope that each episode will bring a new fable into the mix. Am I the only one kind of hoping for Rufio? Are there even any other Neverland characters to introduce besides Tinkerbell (who I assume is a lock)? I guess maybe since mermaids are a thing Disney has one they might tie in? Man, I really like this stuff. Please no spoilers. A lot of the fun of this for me is seeing someone shoot an arrow and saying "Robin Hood!" or the clever Rumplestiltskin/Beast/Crocodile kind of stuff.

STAC Goat fucked around with this message at 09:37 on Oct 5, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Hook killed Rufio! Again!

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Merlinicus posted:

I'm a little bit confused why Rumple is still separated from the rest of the group. Doesn't seem to make a ton of sense, and it doesn't seem to be developing at all. But I'm willing to wait and see.

Rumple voluntarily left them behind because he was convinced they'd cramp his style and slow him down. And considering the theme has been Emma's group can't work together he was right. He also almost certainly wants to hide stuff like his past dealings with Pan, his shadow trick, the dagger, and whatever evil/dark magic he gets up to. Oh, and there's the small matter of him debating killing Henry.

Honestly, it makes way more sense for Rumple to be away from the team than with them. He just had to hitch a ride to Neverland.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Rumple stole the urn and used it to try and get Elsa to give him the Fantasia hat. She was about to before the Apprentice said they found the third sister and assured her that the three would be reunited so she gave him the hat and went to the 80s and Rumple was stuck with an urn cage he had no use for either forgot about or just lied about*.

*The only thing that ever confuses me in this show is whether people are under a memory loss curse at any given moment or if they're just lying. It seems like a 50/50 crap shoot and stuff like Belle knowing Ana kind of comes out of nowhere.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I don't see Hook dying. He'll reveal the truth about Rumple and what he's done in some pivotal moment that will save the day but it will lose all the trust he's built with Emma and the Charmings and he'll be back to square one in the Regina role of villain desperately trying to prove he's a hero and make up for his mistakes.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

There's no getting around it, Blue is self righteous and arrogant. I didn't want her sucked into a hat prison but I didn't really want her around either.

But yeah, Blue will be back. This is like the third time she's died and that hat will get opened or whatever when Mickey shows back up.

What happened to Tinkerbell? I thought Blue upgraded her to fairy so I was expecting to see her this episode. But I can never keep track of these characters. I kept thinking Emma should call Ariel to help them find Anna seeing as how she can go between worlds and stuff but I have no idea if Ariel is in Storybrooke.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I really don't like Belle. It seems like she's always crying and she's unbelievably stubbornly blind to the fact that Rumple is evil as poo poo and some of that poo poo should be remembered. And that whole Anna thing was a little messed up. I definitely hope that these next few episodes when Rumple kidnaps Henry and tries to get away finally open her eyes to reality and she takes a walk and maybe finds someone decent. But I'm sure Rumple will just tell some lies and she'll buy them 100% even while everyone else is hunting the Dark One down.

A route I think they could go is that when Hook comes clean on everything he also tells Belle about the fake dagger and that's what finally sends her away from Rumple. Then when Hook and Emma are on the rocks I could see Belle attaching herself to a lonely and messed up Hook because she has a type.

Alternatively, I wouldn't mind if she died as a consequence of Rumple's evil schemes.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I just watched the last two episodes and was really, really pleased. And it was an interesting swap on the Snow Queen and Gold.

I've never really liked or felt anything for the Snow Queen but this episode with her flashbacks with Emma and her sacrifice really got to me. She's a tragic character and that was tragic story. When she was saying her goodbyes I actually got a little choked up.

On the flipside I love the Gold/Rumple character but I was so drat happy to see him get taken down and watch him whimpering and revert back to that sniveling worm he is when he loses control of things. And I loved Belle finally opening her eyes and taking a stand against Gold. That went a long way towards rehabilitating her with me. And it's good to be assured that Gold isn't going anywhere and he'll be right back to be his evil self.

Count me in as another who was underwhelmed by Ursula. And Cruela feels weird like a weird addition, like they ran out of Disney B Witches or something. I almost kind of wish they had just gone with Malificent as the sole team up with Gold. She seems like she should be able to stand alone on the same level as the Snow Queen and the Wicked Witch and neither of the other two really intrigue me or seem to add much. We've already had the Little Mermaid stuff and what can you pull from 101 Dalmations?

On the other hand...

Captain von Trapp posted:

Something that's been lacking a bit in Once recently is that sense of mystery and menace that magic carried in the first season or two. This episode really brought it back.

I had a similar thought. Part of the fun of the start of this show was the weird mingling of stories and trying to guess what twist or person they were going to pull out next. I've enjoyed the reason themed seasons but they took away some of that utter random mystery that was fun. Neverland, Oz, Frozen. They all kind of came a general outline of what to expect with a few random extras. The utter randomness of Malificent, Cruela, and Ursula teaming up is kind of fun in that old way and almost feels like "classic" Once Upon a Time.

So I'm willing to set aside my reservations and hope for a good "classic" season of waiting for the opening shadow to try and guess what story will be featured this week. I'm sure next season they'll grab a Wonderland theme or Star Wars or something.

And I love these Winter Finales. Especially with this show. Nice, condensed stories give it a lot more focus and I feel complete as we go into the long wait for new episodes. I'm enjoying watching all my Winter Finales these last two weeks as I gear up for the Holiday and watching all the classics and stuff with family.

And I'll finally get around to watching Frozen now.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

It was a dalmatian pup that lured Belle into the trap in the Enchanted Forest so Cruella must have something with dalmatians in the Enchanted Forest. And yeah, Pongo is in Storybrooke so presumably he's from the Enchanted Forest too. So I'm guessing they'll work up an Enchanted Forest version of 101 Dalmatians somehow.

Rumple said something like "the students haven't surpassed the teacher" so I took that as meaning that Malificent, Cruella, and Ursula have all been pupils of Rumple like Cora and Regina. So yeah, I'm assuming Cruella is turned into a sorceress here like Bo Peep. But that feels weird still unless they beef her up by tying her into other stories.

Which I hope they do. That's part of what made me really dig the show. The way Rumple is also "The Beast" and "The Crocodile" or how Regina is actually "Ursula" in the Little Mermaid. I dig that mingling of stories so I hope they beef up Cruella and Ursula by tying them into other roles. I don't know what they'd fit in but hopefully they have a plan.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Marion is obviously an underdeveloped character but it seems reasonable to believe that she's got basic observational and social skills and has spent the last few weeks hearing stories about Regina and seeing her place in Storybrooke. I think it was ok, really. She didn't just accept that Regina had changed. She fought it quite a bit and then Regina saved her life. Even then it took more heroics by Regina and time in Storybrooke for her to get to the point of that conversation. Assuming Marion is the strong and rational person she seems to be there had to be a point where she realized any entire town of people who were terrorized by the Evil Queen can't just be covering for her when they tell stories of how she's become a hero. It just so happens that that time is dictated by the winter finale, but outside of them making Marion a much bigger character I think it was going to feel the same anyway.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Irish Joe posted:

Do we know Pam is back, though? Rumple only talked to Ursula in the present.
Gold told Ursula that they had two more stops to make, or something like that.

Obviously we're meant to assume its Malificent and Cruella. But obviously its possible they kept it ambiguous to allow for a possible fakeout where Malificent is actually dead and Gold has someone else in mind. Then I assume we'd see Malificent in Enchanted Forest flashbacks until she's inevitably resurrected.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

The difference between Regina and Gold comes down to the established most powerful magic in the OUAT universe, love. Regina sought power to compensate for the loss and absence of love and in grief. Rumple pushed away love to seek power. Time and time again Regina's chances at happiness were destroyed by lovely circumstance or evil people like Cora and that just pushed her farther over the edge. Time and time again Rumple had a chance to give up power to be happy with Baelfire and he always chose power and pushed love away.

Gold could have been redeemed with the Peter Pan arc if Neil had let him stay dead after sacrificing himself for Henry and Neal. But I like that the show chose to bring him back as a villain because he's such a natural one and he's really never stopped being driven by that power and fear that always motivated him as a villain.

Yeah, Regina did a lot of heinous poo poo but she seems to genuinely feel bad about it, she's always been way more of a victim than Rumple, and her motivations have always been about love and when she found it she was willing to forgo power, even if it meant sharing Henry with Emma.

Also its a fairy tale so no one's getting tried for war crimes or poo poo. Just roll with the power of love.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I actually didn't have much problem with Rumple's evil plot. His heroic redemption wasn't working for me at all and I wasn't sold on it. At pretty much every turn I was always waiting for him to pull a scam. So the idea that Emma gave him an opportunity to steal back power so he took it? Eh, sounds like Rumple to me. He's a lovely person and a mess of a character but that's who he is so whatever. I'm fine with it because for not a single second have I been compelled to root for the guy. He's the bad guy and always has been as far as I'm concerned. Emma was able to resist the Darkness enough to fight it, Hook succumbed but managed to pull just enough heroism out to save the people he loved, and Rumple just said "Eh, gently caress it. I hate having a limp and worrying about bills. I'll take it back." Sounds about right to me.

I mean, its all kind of convoluted but whatever. I'm not watching Once Upon A Time for a tight script and great story. Its never had that. I'm watching to see the Wicked Witch try to steal Robin Hood's baby only to be stopped by the Evil Queen wielding the Sorcerer's wand. Or to see Werewolf Little Red Riding Hood make friends with Mulan and Merida. Even watching Snow White and Prince Charming drag their children and grandchildren to Hades five minutes after getting back from Camelot where they went five minutes after coming from Neverland is a satisfying mind gently caress for my inner child.

But I hate Belle. For god's sakes, woman. Please stop it because I'm sick of watching "I know he hit me, but he just does it because he loves me so much" play out as a fairy tale metaphor. That's just not fun.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Swan was the Dark One but mostly managed to resist, The Snow White-Charming Crew successfully freed Merlin and gained the means to get the Darkness out of Swan with Excalibur but King Arthur turned out to be a dick and he and the Wicked Witch mortally wounded Captain Hook. Swan turned Hook into a Dark One using Excalibur to save him and then erased everyone's memories to try and keep Hook in the dark so he wouldn't be seduced by the Darkness while she tried to find a way to cure both of them. But Hook finds out, goes evil, kills Merlin, and frees all the Dark Ones from Hades damning the Charming Crew but in a final act of heroism resists the Darkness to sacrifice himself to save everyone else and cure Swan. Only Rumplestiltskin pulled a con and took the Darkness into himself and Swan led everyone into Hades to get Hook back.

Oh, and the Wicked Witch gave birth to Robin Hood's baby and tried to steal it away but the Evil Queen sent her back to Oz.

And Merida hung out with Mulan and Little Red Riding Hood for awhile.

And I think Dopey's still a tree.

I know you weren't actually asking for an explanation but I think half the joy I get out of this show is actually spelling out the plot to people and seeing/hearing the absurdity of it all spelled out. I love watching the look on people's faces.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Honestly, I think the half seasons are the only things keeping me watching. I can't see myself caring about a 22 episode story arc of this show. But 12 episode arcs ae perfect for like a trashy, low brain function binging show.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Its a possibility, I guess. Its certainly an interesting element that Jekyl's world wasn't one set theme/world like the previous half seasons but rather a mix so the showrunners have a much wider variety of characters they can bring in and help rebuild their world. I actually was disappointed that we weren't just getting a Victorian Horror/Universal Monsters arc (since I nerd out for those) but I hadn't really considered that the path they took opens up a lot more possibilities.

I suppose I had just gotten comfortable with the show as a lazy weekend/one week popcorn binge with a wacky new theme each season. But I don't begrudge them trying to do more to give it a second life.

It basically comes down to I have 2 types of shows. The shows I watch week to week and the shows I collect and binge. The ones in the latter tend to be short run seasons and binging them tends to mean I tolerate their flaws more. Shows that run 22 episode arcs tend to be ones I have to watch week to week (or every few weeks in a mini-binge) to keep up with them, but that means if they don't have me hooked I tend to give them up. So I worry that will happen with OUAT since I kind of lost faith in their whole writing and plotting chops.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

"Oh, hey, look at that. The Once Upon A Time thread has a ton of new posts and its Monday. I stopped watching a few weeks ago but looks like something major and pretty exciting happened last night. I should check and see if its something that interests me to start watching again."

Opens thread.

"Oh."

• Locked thread