Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Captain Mog
Jun 17, 2011
There is a fantastic show buried deep in here somewhere that shows its face every so often, and it's really been shining these first two episodes. I hope they can keep this up into the future.

Preview for next week's ep spoilers: I wonder if Tinkerbell was Regina's fairy godmother?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Mog
Jun 17, 2011
Just watched OUAT: Wonderland. The thing that bothered me the most: what the hell time period is it supposed to be? You see Alice in Victorian London as a child, who then vows to convince her father that Wonderland is real. Then, a presumably short amount of time later, she's a fully grown teenager. So did she go back to Wonderland at some point? And if so, when? To make matters worse, we have the Knave guy waltzing into present-day 2010s Storybrooke and then going back to save Alice... again, in Victorian London? Huh? Did he time travel?

Captain Mog fucked around with this message at 20:38 on Oct 11, 2013

Captain Mog
Jun 17, 2011
The negative response on the OUAT Facebook page to Mulan being a lesbian is pretty soul crushing. I haven't seen that much homophobia since the mid-00's. Did this show just naturally attract the right-wing crowd or something? People have usually trended towards liking LGBT-friendly plot lines in the past few years so seeing such a broad negative response depresses me a lot.

quote:

Very disappointed in last nights episode! Many friends I know, and myself and family won't be watching anymore! It's sad that you guys had to FORCE that into the show. In the beginning, they showed her love for Philip.. Very disappointing!

quote:

I am extremely disappointed that a fairy tale type of entertainment is now to be contaminated with controversy. Suggesting that Mulan is a lesbian does not appeal. Please do not do that!

quote:

I've loved this show but last night has turned me completely off. Not that you care. Now I can't let my kids watch even what was one of the cleanest shows on tv. Should have kept Mulan the way she was.

quote:

After last night's episode I had to comment. I've been a fan of OUAT since season 1, but when the writers threw in that little innuendo last night that Mulan was a lesbian, it made me sad. I understand that the writers are trying to cater to those that accept that type of lifestyle choice, but I can bet there are a lot more fans out there that don't share that view & don't want their children, also fans of the show, to see it in primetime. My child & I watch this show & enjoy the fairytale characters & their interesting back stories. To the writers: please consider the conservative fans you have of this wonderful show & leave the alternative lifestyles out of it.

Yeah, that show with murder, dark magic, demons, pregnancy out-of-wedlock, political assassination, bloody war, violence towards children, kidnapping, and mutilation was A-OK to show to the kiddies until the one girl might've been a lesbian!

Captain Mog fucked around with this message at 22:32 on Oct 14, 2013

Captain Mog
Jun 17, 2011
Bae is such a dick to his father. We get it, Rumple's a cold hearted psycho; but Bae is so obsessed with hating his dad for that fact that he can't see his many attempts at changing his ways. It's like he constantly berates him for being evil but whenever Rumple tries being not evil, he goes "NOPE! Sorry! You're too bad to change!"

Also, Peter Pan's a cool villain and all but the actor is sort of overdoing it. Maybe he's just really young though and I'm being too harsh.

e: Another nitpick, this one about Wonderland: it almost seems a bit too... orderly? In Lewis Carrol's Wonderland, nothing made logical sense. It was all crazy and topsy-turvey and defied the laws of physics. Things made no sense, there were bizarre sights and people and locations which defied all logic- hell, the place is basically the fantasy version of an acid trip. But this Wonderland seems to be a lush forest with a few weird creatures and a hedge maze. Not very Wonderland-like to me.

Captain Mog fucked around with this message at 03:45 on Oct 21, 2013

Captain Mog
Jun 17, 2011

fork bomb posted:

They did a fantastic job with the Dr. Frankenstein dimension. I love how it was all gritty black and white. We probably won't go back to that world, but I thought it was very cool.

I heard somewhere that they are supposed to do an "Oz" thing sometime with Dorothy possibly being from that dimension. It was definitely hinted at- one of the doors in the Mad Hatter's hat was a green curtain.

Captain Mog
Jun 17, 2011

dog kisser posted:

Well, I'm marathoning through the first season with my wife. On episode 20 - Charming is the DUMBEST person ever.

He puts himself off as this really just, righteous person who always wants to do the good thing. In all actuality, what he usually wants to do is the most "lawful" thing, even at the expense of the people he loves. This ultimately makes him unlikable and downright immoral at times.

Captain Mog
Jun 17, 2011
You can tell this was written by the people responsible for "Lost" because that's about how I'm feeling with that revelation.

Like, did Rumpel ever give any indication that he knew who Pan was before now? Even a small one? Other than vague "don't underestimate him" stuff?

Captain Mog fucked around with this message at 02:49 on Nov 18, 2013

Captain Mog
Jun 17, 2011
Rumple and Regina are by far the best things about this show- enough for me to mentally file it in the "good show" category. If they weren't on, I wouldn't be watching. They're wonderfully deep and nuanced for what are essentially Disney villains.

Captain Mog
Jun 17, 2011
It's a bit uncanny how much Henry looks like Mary Margaret. If someone told me she was his mother, I'd believe them without question.

e: Also, calling it now: Snow's baby is going to be Dorothy and she'll have been prophesied to kill the Wicked Witch or something.

e2: Is that convulsing guy who turned into a flying monkey The Fat Guy from "Lost"?

Captain Mog fucked around with this message at 01:38 on Mar 17, 2014

Captain Mog
Jun 17, 2011
God drat this show has the worst fans. People were in a random uproar on OUAT's page about Rapunzel being black. Oh no, anything but the fictional children's book character being black! The horror, the horror!

Anyway, she rocked the role and I liked her performance.

Captain Mog
Jun 17, 2011
I really like this show in spite of myself. It's so cheesy and schlocky and gaudy, especially with the bad CGI and FOLLOW YOUR HEARTTTT~ stuff, like a live-action Disney show very well should be. I hope it lasts for ten goddamn years because I don't want to imagine a future without it.

Also Hook is so sexy. And I was kinda cheering when Hood's wife almost got smooshed by the ice giant.

That is all.

Captain Mog
Jun 17, 2011
"One morning, I woke up hearing my mother and father going at it."

...what?

"They fought a lot."

Oh. Phew.

Captain Mog
Jun 17, 2011
What season do you guys think will be the Harry Potter season? the Star Wars season? I vote 5 for SW because of the film and like 8 for HP because by then there will probably be a new HP spin-off novel and excitement will be all drummed up for the franchise by then. Are there any more Disney franchises they can resurrect? Nightmare Before Christmas? :v:

Captain Mog fucked around with this message at 02:39 on Oct 6, 2014

Captain Mog
Jun 17, 2011
Wait a second. Please someone tell me that isn't loving Jimminy Cricket who died in S2 magically back from the dead. Is there a necromancer afoot in Storybrooke now, too?

Captain Mog
Jun 17, 2011

winvirus posted:

That wasnt really him, it was someone disguised as him

Oh, I remember it now. For some reason all I remembered about him was that funeral scene with everyone in the town pissed at Regina even though Cora "killed" him.

Whoever suggested last week that Hood will kiss Regina and it'll be the "true love's kiss" is looking to be spot-on.

Captain Mog
Jun 17, 2011

Dazerbeams posted:

I was hoping for Hook to get a little frisky. Like pinch Emma's butt. What's the point of an evil hand if you're not going to have fun with it?

"Emma"? That's a strange way to spell my name.

So Rumple's old friend is the Unibomber?

Captain Mog fucked around with this message at 01:46 on Oct 20, 2014

Captain Mog
Jun 17, 2011
This is such a good episode so far, i'm really impressed.

Captain Mog
Jun 17, 2011

Bicyclops posted:

I am, to be honest, shocked that Disney allowed them to do it at all. The Disney princesses are their bread and butter right now and "family friendly," with all of the dogwhistle homophobic bigotry that is unfortunately sometimes packaged with the phrase, is sort of important for their market base.

I'm pretty sure Mulan got put on a bus from the plot mostly because Jamie Chung is extremely busy though, including being a regular in another show and having an extensive film career (she was in four movies this year alone!).

Disney is actually about as gay friendly as they come. They've been holding gay days at Disney World and have had equal benefits for LGBT employees since way before it was in vogue to do so and have consistently told everyone who has a problem with it to piss off. Also, while many of their movies aren't explicitly "gay friendly", it is perfectly possible for a few of them to be read as sort of gay allegories. For instance, there's Frozen with its message of "respect & love people even if they are different from you" and Beauty & the Beast with its whole theme of people wanting to rip Belle & the Beast apart so she can have a "normal" relationship.

I'm thrilled they made Mulan into a lesbian and do hope she comes back and gets together with Aurora.

Captain Mog
Jun 17, 2011
Things Belle likes: books, bad boys, stripper heels, valuing gemstones above human life

Captain Mog
Jun 17, 2011

winvirus posted:

Hook is on fire with those one liners

I don't know, Regina's "Captain Guyliner" zinger really made me laugh out loud and I very rarely do that at scripted TV shows

Captain Mog
Jun 17, 2011
Calling it now, the price for Rumple's spell will be "the heart of your worst enemy" or something like that. Killing Hook is about the only thing which would make him that happy.

Captain Mog
Jun 17, 2011
I hope Marian dies because Hood and Regina are one hot couple.

Also does Elsa only have one dress? That's pretty gross.

Captain Mog
Jun 17, 2011

foxatee posted:

I was wondering the same. This show make no sense sometimes.

I wonder if the power has to be given willingly? I doubt he could just trick the snow queen into launching an ice ball into the hat or something.

Captain Mog
Jun 17, 2011

Radish posted:

I get the feeling they are going to kill off Hook since it seems everyone Emma gets involved with dies and they are putting out some serious heroic sacrifice vibes. I'm not really going to be happy with that outcome especially if the entire cast continues to be totally oblivious to Rumpelstiltskin's shenanigans. They are equally laying down some hubris on Gold's part that he thinks he can be both a loving husband to a naive but well meaning idiot and also an evil mastermind that I would assume is going to bite him in the rear end at some point.

I have to wonder if they aren't really planning on bringing on someone not crazy to be with Belle, or if Rumpel will actually realize he loves her more than he loves power after all and give up his magic to be with her. It's confusing. The actual Beauty & the Beast movie was much more straight-forward because Belle actually did change the Beast for the better but all this Belle seems to be doing is enabling. Belle was such a strong female character (for Disney) when she came out in the movie. She stood up for herself and what she wanted at all times and she had agency over her own fate (she eventually made the conscious choice to return to the Beast each time). I'm not sure I like the character here. She's thinking entirely in black and white and missing the fact that people are usually varying shades of gray, not good or evil.

As for Regina: I wonder what's going to happen when Hood's wife wakes up. I doubt she'll die, but I do think that he'll probably leave her for Regina. Which would be awesome. I'd be happy with either way honestly.

Also WTF Is up with the Blue Fairy/Winnifred Burkle. I could've sworn she died. How the hell is she back?

Captain Mog fucked around with this message at 04:57 on Dec 2, 2014

Captain Mog
Jun 17, 2011

Open Source Idiom posted:

She was faking / restored to life. It happened back in Season 3, during the interminable Neverland arc.

She's not Amy Acker (Fred from Angel) though. Amy Acker was in one episode way back in season one as another fairy, that's it.

Oh, I get it now. This show confuses me so much. There's way too many characters.

And yet still I tune in weekly and would never miss an episode.

Captain Mog
Jun 17, 2011
That was a pretty good wrap-up of the storyline, I'm impressed. I liked it.

Also the ending scene was cute with everyone laughing. I like that about this show- it's a Disney show, not Game of Thrones, and I would be pretty disappointed if we didn't get something cutesy at the end of a story arc.

Captain Mog
Jun 17, 2011

ashez2ashes posted:

I think its smart to structure it that way. People don't feel less discouraged about starting again after the break if they don't remember what was happening very well. It also keeps the show as a whole from never having an ending if it gets canceled at those points. I think the show's been on the edge for awhile now.

I don't think Once will be getting canceled anytime soon, considering it's one of ABC's most popular shows right now and always pulls in strong numbers. This thread doesn't really reflect Once's popularity as a whole. I think that's because it appeals to pretty much everyone really who would want any kind of show since it covers so much ground and a lot of people love Disney.

Jesto posted:

Did the series get a new lead writer this season or something?

Rumplestiltskin seasons 1-3: I want to reunite and reconcile with my son. Nothing else matters than that, other than movies all the chess pieces (people) in the world around to achieve that.

Season 4: I wanna rule the world!

Rumple has never even mentioned in passing a desire to rule over people, or be any variety of king. Why do you need people to worship and obey you when you have limitless power?

I can't see how he could even justify this desire. It's one thing to escape the dagger, it's another to be so generically evil that you want to be absolute ruler of all. Maybe if Belle had died and Henry loathed him, maybe if he needed some goal to fill the void inside of him, but his life seems pretty good.

But did he actually say he wanted to rule the world, or was he just talking himself up to intimidate Hook who is like literally his least favorite person ever? The only things he's said so far about his plans were "I want to leave Storybrooke with Belle" and "I won't hurt anyone in Storybrooke but the rest of the world ooooh who knows".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Mog
Jun 17, 2011
I hate to say it, but I'm sort of disappointed in the casting of Ursula. They had a great opportunity to bring on a fierce black drag queen to play the role and we got Atkins diet lady with an octopus costume kinda. Boooring.

I mean can you imagine how awesome Pam would be with a drag queen sidekick?

Captain Mog fucked around with this message at 18:25 on Dec 15, 2014

• Locked thread