Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
tehinternet
Feb 14, 2005

Semantically, "you" is both singular and plural, though syntactically it is always plural. It always takes a verb form that originally marked the word as plural.

Also, there is no plural when the context is an argument with an individual rather than a group. Somfin shouldn't put words in my mouth.

I saw your stats on https://www.battlefieldgoons.com and literally said what the gently caress

Do you just roll pistol matches all the time?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

There really is something about dying to jets that pisses people right off isn't there? Even despite how anemic they are compared to BF3.

I decide to get my air ribbons last night on Paracel Storm with the attack jet and this is literally the first time since getting the "Maverick" dogtag in BF3 that I've flown a jet. The very first time I kill an attack boat, "get some loving skill you fag jet." Again literally the very first time I've killed something in a jet in BF4. I end up going 25-2 since none of the other jets ever bothered to ever chase me.

For one brief moment, I was the skygod :getin:

Der Luftwaffle
Dec 29, 2008
I just started playing after buying this a month ago and am getting some apparently widespread black screen on start issue. Half the time when I launch from Battlelog, my primary screen loses input and system doesn't respond. There are pages all over the EA support forums but no one seems to have a solid fix, any goons know what to do? Already tried switching between launching in 32 and 64bit mode.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?
I loved BF3. Had it on PC and console. I take it BF4 is just BF3+, right?

How's the technical aspect? Any general performance/crash issues?

I hope it goes for $30 again in Christmas. :ohdear:

Garfu
Mar 6, 2008

Much like buttholes, families are meant to be tight.

tehinternet posted:

I saw your stats on https://www.battlefieldgoons.com and literally said what the gently caress

Do you just roll pistol matches all the time?

Yeah pretty much. I think the only fun to be had in this game is small domination 64p pistol only. I play BC2 for other fun.

Also I play with a small group that I've been playing FPSs with for a while and we tend to dominate (take a look at my match history in battlelog)

Infidelicious
Apr 9, 2013

Kibayasu posted:

There really is something about dying to jets that pisses people right off isn't there?

I end up going 25-2 since none of the other jets ever bothered to ever chase me.

This is why people hate Jets.

Because the only thing that kills jets is other autists in jets.

Though, I couldn't give less of a gently caress about the stealth jets, because they suck at effecting the ground (You know, how the match is won) and the person in them will inevitably crash or die to an attack jet skylord.

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.

FadedReality posted:

I've been keeping up with this thread for the last week because I was planning on picking this up for $20 with the McDonald's deal when it inevitably goes on sale for Christmas. I see a lot of :dice:, complaints about crashing, and in general malaise mixed in with the amusing anecdotes.

Would I be better served picking up Civ V: Brave New World and whatever else with the other :10bux: than jumping on board with this right now?

I bought mine for $20 with the Dr. Pepper promotion, and it's only crashed during a game once. (all the other crashes were the servers, or me pushing my video card too far). I think it's worth $20.

(but maybe not $60 right now)

Vasudus
May 30, 2003

Infidelicious posted:

Though, I couldn't give less of a gently caress about the stealth jets, because they suck at effecting the ground (You know, how the match is won) and the person in them will inevitably crash or die to an attack jet skylord.

Passive radar missiles in boats take down skygods pretty well. Downsides are pretty nasty though, namely that you have to: bait them to attack in the first place, get them to blow flares on a single missile, and you give up your secondary ability that helps fight off other boats. When it works though, you can make people pretty angry for ending their autism spree.

ScienceAndMusic
Feb 16, 2012

CANNOT STOP SHITPOSTING FOR FIVE MINUTES
Its a shame active radar ruins a lot of air-air fun. The game would be so much better off without it all together.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

The best part of Battlefield games is the sheer amount of anger expressed by pilots when you dare to shoot them out of the sky. The UCAV is an endlessly entertaining rage generating machine when you use it against Little Bird pilots.

ScienceAndMusic posted:

Its a shame active radar ruins a lot of air-air fun. The game would be so much better off without it all together.

Jets are pretty well balanced against ground forces in the game if your definition of balanced isn't "utterly invincible". The Little Birds are fairly overpowered but MAA acts as a pretty hard counter for the maps that have it.

ICMB
May 28, 2003
Iron Chef MonkeyButt
I was so drat close to get the UCAV. I managed to get my first ribbon pretty easily, and then the second one I did with some guys who informally hooked up and traded kills. Since then I've been trying and just not getting it.

One server had guys saying they were killtrading, and then didn't take their turns.

I had two rounds where I had 4 kills.

I've unlocked every loving thing on the stealth jet and I still can't kill people.

Why on earth did they tie this unlock to something so completely disconnected from the role of the the player.

Ahhhhh!!

Edit: It's me I'm OldManOhMan

ICMB fucked around with this message at 22:59 on Dec 14, 2013

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

"I can no longer sit back and allow nationalist shitposting, nationalist indoctrination, nationalist subversion, and the German nationalist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious game balance."

Infidelicious posted:

That's completely loving insane. Jets have never been as useless as they are in BF4. Literally anyone on the ground has the tools to shut down a jet player by himself, and that's not even going in the fact that the Mobile AA exists, which shuts down the entire sky while only needing one player to do it.

BrownThunder
Oct 26, 2005

EXTEND BEN!
Forever and ever and ever

Me and goon OldManOhMan are in a server right now, it's just us 2. We're looking for 2 more terrible pilots to unlock the UCAV, trading kills. Add me at BrownThunder or him to join!

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

DatonKallandor posted:

That's completely loving insane. Jets have never been as useless as they are in BF4. Literally anyone on the ground has the tools to shut down a jet player by himself, and that's not even going in the fact that the Mobile AA exists, which shuts down the entire sky while only needing one player to do it.

Which is far better than it was in BF3. Given how hard it is to find the middle ground, I really wish they'd just scrap the jets entirely.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Infidelicious posted:

Except I am easily one of the worst jet pilots around; I never touch the things until achievements compel me to. In that round I flew right by the two enemy jets going the opposite direction I was. We might as well have waved to each other because they ignored me as if I was a friendly. Their MAA was terrible, it drove out to the island front of the Chinese spawn and tried to kill our attack boats as they drove past (and somehow survived while being marked as an HVT) but never killed anything.

It was basically the perfect storm (heh) of incompetence all around for me to get my ribbons.

Vasudus posted:

Passive radar missiles in boats take down skygods pretty well. Downsides are pretty nasty though, namely that you have to: bait them to attack in the first place, get them to blow flares on a single missile, and you give up your secondary ability that helps fight off other boats. When it works though, you can make people pretty angry for ending their autism spree.

I occasionally take out dedicated AA boats in Paracel Storm. You almost never last too long as you will inevitably get caught by an enemy boat with TOW's and a 25mm but you can dominate the skies almost as well as an MAA if you're a good enough shot. A full magazine of the burst cannon will kill a scout helicopter in the time it takes you to fire it.

GoatSeeGuy
Dec 26, 2003

What if Jerome Walton made me a champion?

PittTheElder posted:

Which is far better than it was in BF3. Given how hard it is to find the middle ground, I really wish they'd just scrap the jets entirely.

I thought they were good in BF2, it was just that any sort of AA was underpowered dog poo poo. They used to be fun to fly, even if you weren't anywhere on the spectrum but in 4 they really do suck all around.

Papa Was A Video Toaster
Jan 9, 2011

BrownThunder posted:

Me and goon OldManOhMan are in a server right now, it's just us 2. We're looking for 2 more terrible pilots to unlock the UCAV, trading kills. Add me at BrownThunder or him to join!

Added. Let's be terrible together.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

GoatSeeGuy posted:

I thought they were good in BF2, it was just that any sort of AA was underpowered dog poo poo. They used to be fun to fly, even if you weren't anywhere on the spectrum but in 4 they really do suck all around.

Define fun to fly. I have heard the jets handle differently from BF3, is that what you mean? Or does fun to fly mean dominate everything on the ground?

IMO gently caress all skygods. I would rather them be overly weak than dominate everything like in previous battlefield games.

ScienceAndMusic
Feb 16, 2012

By the way I wasn't complaining about active radar just on mobile AA, active radar on anything and everything is just a terribly unfun game mechanic. Strict upgrades are not better than side-grades.

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

PittTheElder posted:

Yea, I don't really get jets at all in these games and I'm not really sure they add anything apart from the possibility of being overpowered as gently caress. I prefer them not really having an impact on anything like they do now.

Gonkish
May 19, 2004

Battlefield.

Fart Sandwiches
Apr 4, 2006

i never asked for this

Gonkish posted:

Battlefield.

That a jet flew directly into it makes this way funnier.

Naturally Selected
Nov 28, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Infidelicious posted:

Except jets can be taken out by everything from a gro-po with MANPADS to a tank's Sabot shell will take out a strafing attack jet with zero issue. To get a kill on a tank/boat/APC, you need to smack them with missiles AND hit them with a gun run. While the guy's coming in for guns, you can: run away, hide, zero in on him and blast him, watch him get intercepted, or a million other things. Active Protection works on the 30mm cannon, as well, so if you're well positioned (which is key to everything no matter what you're fighting) you can safely ignore them or smack them out of the sky.

Gonkish posted:

Battlefield.

One of the youtube stars actually has an amazing video of doing that from IN the helo, so when a jet tries to make a pass on them it eats the orbital protection system. Battlefield

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Naturally Selected posted:

Except jets can be taken out by everything from a gro-po with MANPADS to a tank's Sabot shell will take out a strafing attack jet with zero issue.

How many times do you think this happens, on average? I mean really, thats one of your examples? Tank shells will also take down a helicopter that is hovering around like an idiot. Nerf tanks. Buff air so they can survive a tank shell!

Leb
Jan 15, 2004

Change came to America on November the 4th, 2008, in the form of an unassuming Senator from the state of Illinois.

NoneSuch posted:

Yea, I don't really get jets at all in these games and I'm not really sure they add anything apart from the possibility of being overpowered as gently caress. I prefer them not really having an impact on anything like they do now.

There's still the occasional pilot out there who is actually effective at shutting down armor. I mean, I can literally only think of one in the hundreds of hours I've played, but he made an impression.

But yeah, I think most people agree with the general sentiment; let the skygods faff around with the other skygods and leave the ground game to the mortals.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

ScienceAndMusic posted:

By the way I wasn't complaining about active radar just on mobile AA, active radar on anything and everything is just a terribly unfun game mechanic. Strict upgrades are not better than side-grades.

Active radar on boats isn't a pure upgrade because you lose effectiveness against ground targets.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

How many times do you think this happens, on average? I mean really, thats one of your examples? Tank shells will also take down a helicopter that is hovering around like an idiot. Nerf tanks. Buff air so they can survive a tank shell!

Every time you see a complaint like that just mentally add "and this is bad because it means I'm not invulnerable in my autism chariot."

Naturally Selected
Nov 28, 2007

by Cyrano4747

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

Happens to me at least once every time I tanksperg on Golmud? I don't know where you got the idea that I'm saying jets need a buff, either. I'm simply saying that if you have a problem with jets *as they are now* you/your team is the issue.

ICMB
May 28, 2003
Iron Chef MonkeyButt

BrownThunder posted:

Man, I don't know what was going on there.

After I got to my 5 kills I spent the rest of the time flying around slow and level, and people were barely shooting at me. I think by that time some of the people on didn't get that it was killtrading, but I was literally flying around with reds behind me with them not firing at all.

I still want you to get the UCAV, so if you want to try another time when the servers emptier i'll be happy to.

BrownThunder
Oct 26, 2005

EXTEND BEN!

Absolutely unbelievable. Goons that joined that noob server for unlocking poo poo were actually trying to use flares and avoid. Thanks for nothing, you stupid, stupid mother fuckers. I really enjoy helping you unlock your poo poo and then going 3-22. It was a fun and festive hour of my life.

Edit: Anyone else that's interested, I'm doing the same on Paracel Storm. Boat kills count, easier to do.

BrownThunder fucked around with this message at 23:49 on Dec 14, 2013

mcbexx
Jul 4, 2004

British dentistry is
not on trial here!

I have been hit by the bomber twice while flying in a scout helo yesterday.
Not hovering around a flag mind you.
TWICE.

I'm going to buy a loving lottery ticket.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

BrownThunder posted:

Edit: Anyone else that's interested, I'm doing the same on Paracel Storm. Boat kills count, easier to do.

The AC130 is the easiest. Paracel storm is the best map for getting your ribbons.

ScienceAndMusic
Feb 16, 2012

Fallom posted:

Active radar on boats isn't a pure upgrade because you lose effectiveness against ground targets.

I mean it in the sense that it is a pure upgrade to the other anti-air alternatives. Yes active radar also isn't a pure upgrade because you can also go laser guided in a stealth jet, but my point is, once you have active radar, passive and especially heatseaker are completely and entirely relegated to poo poo tier.

Eyud
Aug 5, 2006

I just unlocked the 93R and discovered DICE used the M9 model with a foregrip slapped on instead of a correct 93R model. And the foregrip isn't even quite right. And your guy doesn't hold it while shooting.

MY IMMERSION

:negative:

Uranium 235
Oct 12, 2004

BrownThunder posted:

Absolutely unbelievable. Goons that joined that noob server for unlocking poo poo were actually trying to use flares and avoid. Thanks for nothing, you stupid, stupid mother fuckers. I really enjoy helping you unlock your poo poo and then going 3-22. It was a fun and festive hour of my life.

Wait, what? Are you complaining about the jet users using flares to stay alive while they try to get jet ribbons? Were you shooting at them while they were trying to cheese the UCAV assignment? I'm really confused.

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

What advantage to flares have over ECM? If any?

Sultan Tarquin
Jul 29, 2007

and what kind of world would it be? HUH?!
What do you guys consider the best launcher? I've been running with the javelin and asking folks to try and laser deg. I guess hitting with the SRAW is easier. How does laser targeting affect the sraw? Does it go into top down mode?

BrownThunder
Oct 26, 2005

EXTEND BEN!

Uranium 235 posted:

Wait, what? Are you complaining about the jet users using flares to stay alive while they try to get jet ribbons? Were you shooting at them while they were trying to cheese the UCAV assignment? I'm really confused.

It was only a few people all trading kills back and forth. You don't have to get 5 in a row, just 5. When you see everyone on the other side with 5, and your team with 2 or 3 and an average of 10 deaths, it's pretty obvious that it's time to return the favor and let the other side have their run.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Requested_Username posted:

What advantage to flares have over ECM? If any?

Faster reload time. I think. ECM also breaks laser locking?

Republicans
Oct 14, 2003

- More money for us

- Fuck you

PittTheElder posted:

That was one of the nice things about BC2. I haven't liked planes in a Battlefield game since 1942, but that's probably because I got pretty good with them but could never get the hang of jets.

I loving loved nailing tanks with torpedoes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Naturally Selected
Nov 28, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Sultan Tarquin posted:

What do you guys consider the best launcher? I've been running with the javelin and asking folks to try and laser deg. I guess hitting with the SRAW is easier. How does laser targeting affect the sraw? Does it go into top down mode?

SRAW, every time. RPG if you're gonna be in CQB 90% of the time, since it's easier for pop out situations. On any open-ish maps, though, the SRAW will beat anything else out there-double slams, guiding things around corners/over hills, the ability to pick exactly where you hit something, limited but usable anti-helo capability. It will lock/hit laser designated targets, but I did a whole post a while back on why laser designation/waiting for the lock is pretty pointless the way it is right now.

• Locked thread