Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Grey Fox V2
Nov 14, 2008

Augmented Balls of Titanium!
You're a gentlemen and a scholar. Thanks.

Chronojam posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hs7Oslq9HNo

Just a reminder of the BF4 E3 presentation.
The most cringe inducing part of that video is the guy taunting with "ha haha ha ha" like a child not the audio cutting out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A BIG FUCKING BLUNT
Nov 10, 2007

Chronojam posted:

Wow watching public executions in ye' olden times must've felt like watching what I just saw.

CombatBonta-kun
Sep 22, 2003
Ehhhh?
I said it back when I was doing the assignment for the UCAV and since I am doing Phantom Trainee, I will say it again: whoever thought it was a good idea to put the jet ribbon/kills as a requirement should be looking for a new job.

I love servers that are "noob friendly" but the admin isn't around so there are several people going 30-1.

Welsper
Jan 14, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
If you can't get jet kills maybe you don't deserve that reward?

CombatBonta-kun
Sep 22, 2003
Ehhhh?

Welsper posted:

If you can't get jet kills maybe you don't deserve that reward?

I can/did get the jet kills, it is just really annoying when you go to a "nood" Air Superiority server and there are about 14 people that are of equal level and 1-2 that have 90% of the kills.

mcbexx
Jul 4, 2004

British dentistry is
not on trial here!

CombatBonta-kun posted:

I love servers that are "noob friendly" but the admin isn't around so there are several people going 30-1.

"Noob friendly" is just a honey pot so that spergs can go rack up easy kills and reign supreme, because "K/D uber alles".

Welsper
Jan 14, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

CombatBonta-kun posted:

I can/did get the jet kills, it is just really annoying when you go to a "nood" Air Superiority server and there are about 14 people that are of equal level and 1-2 that have 90% of the kills.

There is no obligation to complete assignments, you didn't need become annoyed at all.

trunkwontopen
Apr 7, 2007
I am a CARTOON BEAR!

Sparticle posted:

Sounds like an average spawn on Dragons Teeth maps.

I only played the one map so far, I don't remember the name. I've been AFK for a good 2 months while the room that holds my computer was undergoing work.

Chronojam posted:

We saw some of that a few days ago where our players swore this one guy kept spawning on them, so probably.

I've looked around online to see if other people are reporting it, and there are a few threads, but I was really hoping for some sort of advertisement of the hack itself. I know that most of that poo poo is kept away from the public eye, so links are spread around and eventually make their way back to Dice/EA.

Rod Munch posted:

There are some pretty iffy Dragon's Teeth spawns, but can't see it being a hack. The other day I had a squad member at about 10 o'clock in front of me as we are moving on a point. He takes cover behind a garbage bin about 20m in front of me. As I am moving I see a guy drop right on him. I keep moving up, and all of a sudden both of us are dead from the enemy that spawned. Now to be fair, he wasn't marked as a squad member, but I have kind of stopped paying attention to that since I seem to get a 2 second delay in squad members being marked (compared to other teammates).

This happened on 64 player conquest-large Rogue Transmission. The exact scenario happened is when I spawned at E, ran inside, and was killed by the player in question on the east side building. My next spawn was at the far west side of C, under the dish (since E was capped) and seconds later, got the notification that someone spawned on me. Then I was knifed from behind. There was no way, even in a vehicle, that the guy could get that far, from the east side of E, to the west side of C, when we had B and C pretty much covered and was pushing towards E for a recap.

The second scenario, I was descending on the southern side of the hills just south of D, hoping to flank someone running from A on the opposing team. Heard that sound, the notifiation, then moments later I was knifed. He was eventually killed in the kill cam, as my team had that area pretty much covered. People were chatting in team wondering how that guy got around undetected.

I'm jumpy to the extent that if I hear something running behind me, and there are no teammates on my minimap, then I immediately turn around. However, hearing that "shuffle sound and getting the notification, I don't double check.

Dillbag
Mar 4, 2007

Click here to join Lem Lee in the Hell Of Being Cut To Pieces
Nap Ghost

Welsper posted:

There is no obligation to complete assignments, you didn't need become annoyed at all.

If you want the cool weapons you have to complete the assignments, so gently caress spending hours in a jet being killed by air spergs when I can find and empty server with a friend, park a plane in the middle of the map and trade kills. Nobody should give a poo poo about e-honour and nobody should give a poo poo how you complete the assignments.

Welsper
Jan 14, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Dillbag posted:

If you want the cool weapons you have to complete the assignments, so gently caress spending hours in a jet being killed by air spergs when I can find and empty server with a friend, park a plane in the middle of the map and trade kills. Nobody should give a poo poo about e-honour and nobody should give a poo poo how you complete the assignments.

Phantom assignments don't grant weapons, so you don't have to do them at all!

Sandweed
Sep 7, 2006

All your friends are me.

Yeah, every time I see someone complaining about some assignment giving you a dogtag being to hard I just wanna smack them.

They are supposed to be hard, you are only doing this to yourself.

Smegmatron
Apr 23, 2003

I hate to advocate emptyquoting or shitposting to anyone, but they've always worked for me.

Dillbag posted:

Nobody should give a poo poo about e-honour and nobody should give a poo poo how you complete the assignments.

If they didn't have criteria they wouldn't be assignments. That's what an assignment is; a request to do things. Cosmetics are a way to show off without having a detrimental impact on other people's game experiences. It wouldn't be showing off if you just had everything handed to you.

None of the weapon assignments are that hard and most of them just require you to be mediocre at battlefield for 5-6 rounds.

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009
I'm glad they bumped hardline back. The bf series has been looking a bit shaky for a while now. They need to show every one that their is a decent game underneath all the problems before releasing another average game.

It will be very interesting to see what happens for bf5.

Dillbag
Mar 4, 2007

Click here to join Lem Lee in the Hell Of Being Cut To Pieces
Nap Ghost
I really don't care about the dog tag or camo reward assignments, but as someone who can only play a few hours a day (and usually only on weekends) I would have uninstalled the game long ago out of frustration if no one helped me unlock the fun weapons like the UCAV and its airburst. I'm just saying no one should make fun of gamers who don't unlock poo poo "legitimately". Who cares, as long as everyone is having fun?

Luitpold
Aug 2, 2009
Talking of excrement ...
Are there tanks and helicopters and stuff in these new maps? I haven't seen jack poo poo.

caldrax
Jan 21, 2001

i learned it from watching you

Durgat posted:

Are there tanks and helicopters and stuff in these new maps? I haven't seen jack poo poo.

Propaganda has some tanks. Sunken Dragon has LAVs and (scout?) helicopters.

The other 2 maps just have a few transport type vehicles.

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer

Dillbag posted:

I really don't care about the dog tag or camo reward assignments, but as someone who can only play a few hours a day (and usually only on weekends) I would have uninstalled the game long ago out of frustration if no one helped me unlock the fun weapons like the UCAV and its airburst. I'm just saying no one should make fun of gamers who don't unlock poo poo "legitimately". Who cares, as long as everyone is having fun?

Just ignore those e-honor autists... I helped people cheese the attack jet kills and they helped me back then ... there are always nice enough goons who will help you out.
EA even offers weapon shortcuts for :10bux: in origin. But gently caress that. I will rather cheese them. Luckyly I have enough playtime to unlock them normally...I am just poo poo at jets. ...

Der Luftwaffle
Dec 29, 2008
I was rewatching the BF4 and BF3/dlc trailers and saw what looked like a player G3 a whole lot of times. Any real reason as to why it was cut for release? One would think that a gun would be cut for the base game and that would be it, but it seems weird to have it fully functional and floating around in the code to only show up for advert footage generation in the DLCs

Sandweed
Sep 7, 2006

All your friends are me.

Jet kills are easy enough, jet ribbons can be a bitch if you are poo poo at jets.

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer
Yeah luckily I was able to get the ribbons on air superiority servers when all the jettarded people tried

Sandweed
Sep 7, 2006

All your friends are me.

Same, I popped a 200 xp boost, got my kills and all the unlocks for the jet as well.

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
I can see a clearer, vision
I should start living today
Clapping Larry

Der Luftwaffle posted:

I was rewatching the BF4 and BF3/dlc trailers and saw what looked like a player G3 a whole lot of times. Any real reason as to why it was cut for release? One would think that a gun would be cut for the base game and that would be it, but it seems weird to have it fully functional and floating around in the code to only show up for advert footage generation in the DLCs

I don't remember seeing it myself, but perhaps it wasn't as much cut as never actually in the game. I suppose it could be a case of early footage using BF3 assets as placeholders?

Sandweed
Sep 7, 2006

All your friends are me.

Yeah a lot of BF4 early footage was using BF3 assets.

New Concept Hole
Oct 10, 2012

東方動的

Chronojam posted:

I was horribly confused at first...

Sandweed posted:

Yeah a lot of BF4 early footage was using BF3 assets.
But this post cleared things up.

Sandweed
Sep 7, 2006

All your friends are me.

I also read somewhere that EA showed up right before the conference with their own sound gear and just told Microsoft to "deal with it" of course that didn't end well.

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

No sound and awkward delays while something goes wrong are all part of the Battlefield experience.

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

Chronojam posted:

No sound and awkward delays while something goes wrong are all part of the Battlefield experience.

Yeah, they were just giving a realistic representation of what each multiplayer round would be like for the first 10-15 seconds.

That reminds me, I was playing Medal of Honor: Afghanistan Edition last night because I still haven't beaten it and the sound design in that game is absolutely amazing/a complete loving mess. The guns and explosions sound great, the dialog and radio conversations run over each other, often with the same characters giving two different orders at the same time and all of it being drowned out by the sound effects.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

CombatBonta-kun posted:

Your problem is that you went on an Air Superiority server. Not only does Air Superiority suck but when everyone is in a jet there is always going to be someone better than you. If you want jet kills for anything at all you join a Lancang Dam/Paracel Storm/Rogue Transmission game, select the attack jet on the deployment screen and mash spacebar until it spawns, fly high to avoid the MAA, and only come down to shoot at tanks, boats, and helicopters.

Lazyfire posted:

Yeah, they were just giving a realistic representation of what each multiplayer round would be like for the first 10-15 seconds.

That reminds me, I was playing Medal of Honor: Afghanistan Edition last night because I still haven't beaten it and the sound design in that game is absolutely amazing/a complete loving mess. The guns and explosions sound great, the dialog and radio conversations run over each other, often with the same characters giving two different orders at the same time and all of it being drowned out by the sound effects.

MOH 2010 is such a frustrating game because I honestly think it is nearly good. All the pieces it needed to be a good single player game (for a FPS where you exclusively fight brown people at least) were there but were paced incredibly poorly or obstructed by bad scripting (like the voice issues). I actually enjoyed the multiplayer for a bit until the maps being nothing but chokepoints covered by one-hit-kill sniper rifles got to me.

Then Warfighter came along and literally made everything about MOH 2010 worse. gently caress Warfighter.

Kibayasu fucked around with this message at 17:45 on Jul 24, 2014

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

Kibayasu posted:

MOH 2010 is such a frustrating game because I honestly think it is nearly good. All the pieces it needed to be a good single player game (for a FPS where you exclusively fight brown people at least) were there but were paced incredibly poorly or obstructed by bad scripting (like the voice issues). I actually enjoyed the multiplayer for a bit until the maps being nothing but chokepoints covered by one-hit-kill sniper rifles got to me.

Then Warfighter came along and literally made everything about MOH 2010 worse. gently caress Warfighter.

I was wondering if the pacing was weird because I decided to run through it pistol only or what, but there are some seriously long, long set piece fights and sections of the game. There's a point where you spend a solid five minutes launching rockets at the same two houses waiting for the game to pop up a box you can launch a missile at despite having hit the spot with about 20 hydras in the course of killing everything around it. Why the game does this I have no clue.

Pound_Coin
Feb 5, 2004
£

Welp, haven't been able to play for a couple days now every time I try to launch I get told to buy whichever expansion pack despite having premium.

Ularg
Mar 2, 2010

Just tell me I'm exotic.

Kibayasu posted:

Your problem is that you went on an Air Superiority server. Not only does Air Superiority suck but when everyone is in a jet there is always going to be someone better than you. If you want jet kills for anything at all you join a Lancang Dam/Paracel Storm/Rogue Transmission game, select the attack jet on the deployment screen and mash spacebar until it spawns, fly high to avoid the MAA, and only come down to shoot at tanks, boats, and helicopters.

I just wish a developer can actually make an FPS where "One-hit snipers/rocket launchers" aren't a thing.

Damone
May 3, 2009

Ularg posted:

I just wish a developer can actually make an FPS where "One-hit snipers/rocket launchers" aren't a thing.

I would like a game where sniping weapons weren't a thing period. Sniping almost always never adds anything to the team's effort other not dying nearly as much, I guess. They have almost always been detrimental to team play oriented games and they always will be.

I give server scripts a lot of grief for being lovely, but I genuinely like it when it enforces a sniper limit. You'll see so many more team mates actually going to the objectives in those types of servers. But they usually come with lovely auto balancing and scrambling scripts. Wanted to play with a group of your friends? Not today shitlord!

OGS-Remix
Sep 4, 2007

Totally surviving on my own. On LAND!

Damone posted:

I would like a game where sniping weapons weren't a thing period. Sniping almost always never adds anything to the team's effort other not dying nearly as much, I guess. They have almost always been detrimental to team play oriented games and they always will be.

I give server scripts a lot of grief for being lovely, but I genuinely like it when it enforces a sniper limit. You'll see so many more team mates actually going to the objectives in those types of servers. But they usually come with lovely auto balancing and scrambling scripts. Wanted to play with a group of your friends? Not today shitlord!

It's not an issue with snipers, it's always a problem with players. Yesterday I had a game where I only played Recon and even though I joined late, I ended up MVP. Spotting hard to see enemies with a PLD and actually moving up to support advances can be extremely helpful even with bolt actions.

Bad assaults/supports/engineers are just as anti-teamwork as bad snipers. Sure they might be contributing a warm body to capping a point, but if you're just a bullet sponge that fires randomly to give away my position, I'd almost you rather not be there so at least I can sneak around and try to get something done.

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

There is a huge difference between a recon and a sniper. An engineer psh-psh-pshing at you from across the map is being a worthless sniper. A recon going for trick shots all game after landing in some obscure spot with his radio beacon is also worthless sniper.

Contrast with a helpful recon spotting via PLD/SOFLAM for a SRAW/Javelin squad, MAVing enemy mines and mortars and supporting a push, staging back-cap beacons with TUGS to check the objective, tossing scanners past a chokepoint before pushing up to blast suckers with an 870, or even being sneaky with C4 and stealth perks.

Unfortunately a lot of recons choose to be a worthless sniper.

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org
I like to be the trickshot-missing spawn beaconing worthless sniper sometimes just because it gives me a few minutes to chill out. War is stressful, man.

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

I feel you there. Maybe they should make sniper rifles just a battlefield pickup or something, I do like to chill with the 50 cal now and then and call out map positions for the guys. The MRAP vehicles are pretty good chillout units, too, since most people ignore them if they're not moving or shooting at the very moment they see it. You'll end up with enemies taking cover behind you.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
Enforce only one Sniper Rifle per full squad, don't let anyone not in a full squad or a squad at all equip one.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Chronojam posted:

I feel you there. Maybe they should make sniper rifles just a battlefield pickup or something, I do like to chill with the 50 cal now and then and call out map positions for the guys.

Queue 10 idiots all clustered around the pick up spawn the whole round.

Smegmatron
Apr 23, 2003

I hate to advocate emptyquoting or shitposting to anyone, but they've always worked for me.
Bodies on flags wins conquest games, even if your entire team has a negative KDR. There is no amount of dude killing that will let a team beat the ticket bleed.

Pubbies don't get this and they think their ten kills an hour is a genuine help because hey, that's ten tickets (except it isn't because at least five of them were revived).

Sniper rifles have no role in such a mobile game except to frustrate everyone. I personally like to instruct enemy recons with liberal use of the XM25, but it usually has the side effect of pushing them towards a flag and exacerbating the problem of put own team's snipers doing gently caress all.

Smegmatron fucked around with this message at 22:21 on Jul 24, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RBX
Jan 2, 2011

I usually have a negative kd every game, like 23/ 27 but get lots of caps and defend. It doesn't bother me too much.

• Locked thread