Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TheRationalRedditor
Jul 17, 2000

WHO ABUSED HIM. WHO ABUSED THE BOY.

fookolt posted:

I haven't played in a while...Are there any maps similar to the infantry only TDM Nosehair Canals in BF3? Operation Locker never really did it for me.
Dragon's Pass and Dawnbreaker are probably the best TDM maps, but neither are as good as Canals, which was a legitimately great DM map. The secret was that the center maze is for scrubs unless you're farming C4 or Claymore kills.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer

Icept posted:

If you're gonna play Pearl Market you should start out slow and try to get an idea of how the sight lines are laid out, especially on the roofs. The map can be really fun but if you just jump in and go hog wild you're going to get blasted by weird people sitting on weird ledges.

To put this in plain English: What the developers try to sell as "Vertical Gameplay" is a clusterfuck of head glitching on the roofs and no visibility upwards if you are down on the street.

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

fookolt posted:

I haven't played in a while...Are there any maps similar to the infantry only TDM Nosehair Canals in BF3? Operation Locker never really did it for me.

The TDM or Domination version of Silk Road is one of my favorite maps for just basic shootmans, give that a try. It's smallish, though.

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you
Whatever the domination map on the aircraft carrier is, that one's good. Actually, I like Golmud's domination map too.

Truth be told, the Domination maps are better than TDM anyway.

xyigx
Nov 6, 2012

Well on the plus side they were honest.

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

Turns out I'm a terrible attack heli pilot, but a pretty good gunner. Just finished a match where I got 34 kills (new personal best lol) using primarily the gunner position of the AH.

Justin Godscock
Oct 12, 2004

Listen here, funnyman!

TheRationalRedditor posted:

Dragon's Pass and Dawnbreaker are probably the best TDM maps, but neither are as good as Canals, which was a legitimately great DM map. The secret was that the center maze is for scrubs unless you're farming C4 or Claymore kills.

Or farming shotgun kills, that map was amazing.

Republicans
Oct 14, 2003

- More money for us

- Fuck you

Decided to re-install after the great disappointment that was Destiny and found 34 battlepacks waiting to be opened. :psyduck:

OneEightHundred
Feb 28, 2008

Soon, we will be unstoppable!

DoctorStrangelove posted:

PDW: SR-2, MPX, maybe the P90, MP7 and JS2
The AS VAL, MPX, P90, and SR-2 are the only ones that aren't getting dropped below a damage breakpoint by the 1-damage nerf, and they'll probably come out the best the way things are going because of it.

Basically anything not on that list is getting dumpstered, there isn't going to be much reason to use the JS2 or MP7 because the P90 and SR2 have the same or similar ROF and will need one less bullet.

FadedReality
Sep 5, 2007

Okurrrr?

OneEightHundred posted:

The AS VAL, MPX, P90, and SR-2 are the only ones that aren't getting dropped below a damage breakpoint by the 1-damage nerf, and they'll probably come out the best the way things are going because of it.

Basically anything not on that list is getting dumpstered, there isn't going to be much reason to use the JS2 or MP7 because the P90 and SR2 have the same or similar ROF and will need one less bullet.

So, what you're saying is players of True skill will only be using the JS2 and MP7 :smugdog:

Copper For Lyfe
Jun 1, 2011
Just applied for the ANZ goons platoon as Unrealsteve after getting back into this in the last couple of weeks.

TheRationalRedditor
Jul 17, 2000

Justin Godscock posted:

Or farming shotgun kills, that map was amazing.
Its only shortcoming was the ability for recons to exploit the crane that either should've been out of bounds or had secondary ways to ascend for dogtag funtime. Dice's mapmakers are positively awful at creating infantry mode rooftops that aren't adequately accessible by more than two access points and incredibly too easy to hold. They carried this terrible habit right into BF4 as well (one-way hatches, cool idea). This is where the XM25 shines, but it's still easily evadable and it doesn't take dogtags either!

canyoneer posted:

Whatever the domination map on the aircraft carrier is, that one's good. Actually, I like Golmud's domination map too.

Truth be told, the Domination maps are better than TDM anyway.
Domination and TDM maps are exactly the same aside from the inclusion of 3 flags, lmao.

TheRationalRedditor fucked around with this message at 04:51 on Sep 16, 2014

xyigx
Nov 6, 2012

Its only shortcoming was the ability for recons to exploit the crane that either should've been out of bounds or had secondary ways to ascend for dogtag funtime. Dice's mapmakers are positively awful at creating rooftops that aren't adequately accessible and incredibly too easy to hold. They carried this terrible habit right into BF4 as well (one-way hatches, cool idea)

Domination and TDM maps are exactly the same aside from the inclusion of 3 flags, lmao.

Where in the entire game of bf4 are these one way hatches? The only hatches I know of any gun can shoot open in less than 1 second. Also metro Dom and tdm are the only ones to use different maps.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

xyigx posted:

Where in the entire game of bf4 are these one way hatches? The only hatches I know of any gun can shoot open in less than 1 second. Also metro Dom and tdm are the only ones to use different maps.
You weren't able to shoot them open before. So the first team up there could close the hatch and drop a beacon and have the rooftop forever in TDM.

TheRationalRedditor
Jul 17, 2000

Cardboard Box A posted:

You weren't able to shoot them open before. So the first team up there could close the hatch and drop a beacon and have the rooftop forever in TDM.
Yup.

xyigx posted:

Zavod and Floodzone are where I've seen them. They can't be opened while you're actually climbing the ladder and only one in floodzone on a short ladder can be opened by jumping because the ladder under it is 1.5 player heights off the ground. They aren't destructible, either. It's a terrible useless idea that only reinforces awful reconism that coddles bad players from being stabbed in the back like they so richly deserve.

I never play Metro, maybe so. The only other infantry mode map variant I've personally seen is Golmud SQDM, which is a significantly larger portion than TDM/Dom in a somewhat different "slice" of those maps. It's actually more interesting, but it seems to be a lone exception in vanilla.

TheRationalRedditor fucked around with this message at 04:57 on Sep 16, 2014

OneEightHundred
Feb 28, 2008

Soon, we will be unstoppable!

This is where the XM25 shines, but it's still easily evadable and it doesn't take dogtags either!
I don't know about "easily evadable" since anyone who doesn't see them coming is almost definitely going to die unless they're already moving.

There are two huge problems relying on it to solve rooftop camping though: First, 99% of people don't know how to actually use the airburst function (and it's admittedly confusing as gently caress and would make a lot more sense if you could just hit V to range it instead of it ranging once at ADS). Second, as good as the XM25 is at knocking rooftop campers off, it is even better in the hands of rooftop campers because of its ridiculous hipfire accuracy.

OneEightHundred fucked around with this message at 06:25 on Sep 16, 2014

nzspambot
Mar 26, 2010

Copper For Lyfe posted:

Just applied for the ANZ goons platoon as Unrealsteve after getting back into this in the last couple of weeks.

ahah I was just about to post who was UnrealSteve ;)

New Concept Hole
Oct 10, 2012

東方動的
Being on the roof is a greater force multiplier than the XM25. The XM25 is great if you can back off, get a good angle, and just saturate the target's plateau with burst, but in most of the worst cases, you can't always make all the necessary adjustments before you start taking fire. It'd also help if you could adjust the over-travel on the grenades as opposed to Range + 2m or whatever the distance it goes before bursting.

Sandweed
Sep 7, 2006

All your friends are me.

Vertical gameplay is garbage and DICE should stop catering to the idots that want it, this is why propaganda is the best map.

TheRationalRedditor
Jul 17, 2000

OneEightHundred posted:

I don't know about "easily evadable" since anyone who doesn't see them coming is almost definitely going to die unless they're already moving.
Because they can realize they're under fire from something and move toward the middle of the roof out of the radius before taking 4 or 5 hits, and on some roofs they can also flip the side of the map they're peering at in seconds whereas you on the ground with the XM25 will need to boot it halfway around the level to re-punish them.

Sandweed posted:

Vertical gameplay is garbage

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Sandweed posted:

Vertical gameplay is garbage and DICE should stop catering to the idots that want it

You guys just don't have the right hardware...

:c00lbert:

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
I can see a clearer, vision
I should start living today
Clapping Larry
My hardware is so bad I had to scroll down five full screens to get past that picture

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Sandweed posted:

Vertical gameplay is garbage and DICE should stop catering to the idots that want it, this is why propaganda is the best map.

I agree with this. But nah, gotta give those wookies an indestructible skyscraper to hide on top of.

Sandweed
Sep 7, 2006

All your friends are me.

Do it like Oman where the top exit of the elevator is inside the building one floor down. That way the recons can't camp the only way up to the roof and also be pro snipers at the same time. Even better if there was 2 exits from that hallway up to the actual roof.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Sandweed posted:

Do it like Oman where the top exit of the elevator is inside the building one floor down. That way the recons can't camp the only way up to the roof and also be pro snipers at the same time. Even better if there was 2 exits from that hallway up to the actual roof.

Literally the only rooftop in the entirety of BF4 that is designed somewhat intelligently.

various cheeses
Jan 24, 2013

Sandweed posted:

I once played in a server where one squad would C4 an ATV onto the rooftops near the middle of propaganda. It was annoying as gently caress since you couldn't ever get them down, but still hilarious because about 6-7 guys started setting up in our spawn with UCAVs trying to kill them all.

When they did it on Lumphini Garden it was lovely though. You could literally get sniped anywhere on the map.

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

I've been waiting to get Premium for when it goes on sale, but I think I'm going to bite the bullet and get it anyways. Gulf of Oman is one of my favourite maps, so it'll be nice to play it again.

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer

battlelog posted:

Battlefield 4 PC multiplayer will be unavailable for roughly 1 hour due to maintenance starting on Sep 17, 1AM PDT / 8AM UTC. We apologize for any inconvenience.

Looks like it is patch time tomorrow? Or they just need to restart their servers.

Grey Fox V2
Nov 14, 2008

Augmented Balls of Titanium!

Sandweed posted:

If you stopped poo poo posting for one day would your heart explode?

Grey Fox V2 fucked around with this message at 23:04 on Sep 16, 2014

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer
He's got a point though. There is a difference between "vertical gameplay" and inaccessible roofs, top-down-massacres and 360roofcamping24/7erryday

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

If every map that had roofcamping potential also had attack helicopters, it wouldn't be as big of a deal imo

That being said, I don't mind it because usually snipers aren't that good.

DoctorStrangelove
Jun 7, 2012

IT WOULD NOT BE DIFFICULT MEIN FUHRER!

Between choppers, the Airburst and the UCAV, there really isn't much reason to get mad about people on the rooftops.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Tusen Takk posted:

If every map that had roofcamping potential also had attack helicopters, it wouldn't be as big of a deal imo

That being said, I don't mind it because usually snipers aren't that good.

The UCAV and mortar, assuming you aren't on Dawnbreaker or Siege of Shanghai for the mortar, are better rooftop clearers than an attack helicopter. Dawnbreaker also has the advantage of nearly every player knowing the jets on that map are pointless so they're free taxis to the stabbing grounds.

I've said it before but I honestly don't think I'd enjoy BF4 as much as I do without the UCAV, it hasn't left my support's hands since I unlocked it. It's worth buying China Rising for. I'll get shot at or killed by some recon somewhere and just ram an explosion in their face 30 seconds later. Flood Zone is especially hilarious because the roofs are so tiny.

African AIDS cum
Feb 29, 2012

Welcome back, welcome back, welcome baaaack
SUAV is better than UCAV, easier to fly and can kill multiple people in one go

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

African AIDS cum posted:

SUAV is better than UCAV, easier to fly and can kill multiple people in one go

More hilarious I'll grant but the UCAV can kill everything else too. Its nearly the equivalent of hitting a tank in the rear with a launcher and you'll outright kill a scout/attack helicopter if you time your detonation right, you'll still probably cripple it if you don't. Plus recons are a form of life that seem to like grouping up no matter how big the rooftop is.

Raphus C
Feb 17, 2011
I don't mind people on the roof because they are no where near flags. Shanghai seems the only time they affect flags. Snipers find it so difficult to kill you that they are, in effect, playing a different game. XM25 or Lmgs are more annoying but not much different to being picked off from the ground.

The proper solution would be that you are able to bring down every building. There should be no warning and it shouldn't kill you, your soldier should spend the remainder of the round trapped in the rubble.

Also, if you do not get within capping range of a flag for 5 minutes your soldier should kill himself.

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

We had this stupid game this weekend where we just couldn't pull the game out despite dominating the enemy team for three or so previous rounds and then again the next round. Siege of Shanghai, enemy team drops on the E round roof and just won't come down. If you take E or D they would just drop off the roof, take the point and repeat the cycle if you kill them and take it back. It didn't help on lower ledges you had guys firing full auto SKSs and people able to kill an attack heli in seconds from the gunner seat of the other attack heli. It also didn't help that our team couldn't send any of our helicopters to deal with the guys on the roofs.

I finally got the attack chopper towards the end of the round and did a couple passes on either roof, earned over ten kills on just the two really popular roofs and then got shot down by heli-king. A few minutes later they were jumping on the points from the same roofs again and all we could do was use the elevators to clear off one of the roofs again.

SilentW
Apr 3, 2009

my It dept hgere is fucking clwonshoes, and as someone hwo used to do IT for 9 years it pains me to see them fbe so terriuble
I have returned to play this terrible game because I have an irrational, all-consuming love of hovertanks, and never fully accepted that 2142 is over. (Origin: TheSilentW)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

neonbregna
Aug 20, 2007

Grey Fox V2 posted:

If you stopped poo poo posting for one day would you heart explode?

His poo poo posting allows him to keep his mind off the fact that his mom is way hotter then microwave's mom.

• Locked thread