Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

The Once And Future King Of Dicetroit

College Slice

Hopper posted:

If your ambush includes "falling" of a roof you are doing it wrong. Because it means you are hogging a roof in the first place. That looses games.

If you ask me, for Shanghai the tactics are:
1. C? bring that poo poo down ASAP
2. D? Ignore the death pit and cap all other points instead (except for C until it is brought down, hence see 1.

A dedicated squad with an engi and support with ammo crate can bring down C in less than 2 minutes (slams/c4 on each pillar, detonate with a RPG/SRAW)

Can you still snipe the poo poo out of it with tanks, too? Because that's always super quick, get that poo poo done immediately.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fingerling
Mar 7, 2010
I cannot stand Shanghai once some troll's brought it down :(

Other than that, your opinion is that if you use the element of surprise you're "doing it wrong"? It's a good tactic (much like bringing C down to stop SRAWs and sniping). Especially at the start of the round, most people are concentrated on taking out choppers and trying to watch east or west, perfect time to flank them then use a silenced weapon.

Speaking of, I was using it pre-patch, but I'm still loving the UMP-9. The UMP-45 I thought I'd love, but there's just something about it that I dislike..

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer
Surprise is good, but try to sneak around them instead of drop in from above.
Any health lost before engaging puts you at a disadvantage.

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

fingerling posted:

I cannot stand Shanghai once some troll's brought it down :(

Other than that, your opinion is that if you use the element of surprise you're "doing it wrong"? It's a good tactic (much like bringing C down to stop SRAWs and sniping). Especially at the start of the round, most people are concentrated on taking out choppers and trying to watch east or west, perfect time to flank them then use a silenced weapon.

Speaking of, I was using it pre-patch, but I'm still loving the UMP-9. The UMP-45 I thought I'd love, but there's just something about it that I dislike..

Shanghai consists of everyone fighting over C until it gets knocked over. Still one of my favourite maps.

I just unlocked a shitload of stuff for the P90 after getting 143 kills with it in 2 matches :smug:

Sandweed
Sep 7, 2006

All your friends are me.

If your team controls C let it stay up, if the enemy team controls C it's usually easier to bring it down than to try to assault directly.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

I make it a matter of course to bring down C the second I join a Shanghai game if the enemy team holds it. All of a sudden there are people on both teams actually doing something.

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

Hopper posted:

If your ambush includes "falling" of a roof you are doing it wrong. Because it means you are hogging a roof in the first place. That looses games.

If you ask me, for Shanghai the tactics are:
1. C? bring that poo poo down ASAP
2. D? Ignore the death pit and cap all other points instead (except for C until it is brought down, hence see 1.

A dedicated squad with an engi and support with ammo crate can bring down C in less than 2 minutes (slams/c4 on each pillar, detonate with a RPG/SRAW)

Take down C the second you lose it, you can hold it with a fairly small number of people and the enemy team will throw everyone they have at it over and over while you jump from it to D or B. If you can hold it the entire round you will most likely win handily unless your team is made up of snipers. It's also a great point for SRAW work giving you a shot at helicopters and at tanks below.

That map is a mess unless you have some attentive helicopter pilots willing to strafe the buildings near the objectives, especially F, you'll end up constantly back capped as people hop off the roofs.

SPACE HOMOS
Jan 12, 2005

Recently played some bf on the nunya servers and didn't know they were ran by racist and fake marines! When asked about their MOS the admins scolded us for insulting the military war heroes.

DoctorStrangelove
Jun 7, 2012

IT WOULD NOT BE DIFFICULT MEIN FUHRER!

SPACE HOMOS posted:

Recently played some bf on the nunya servers and didn't know they were ran by racist and fake marines! When asked about their MOS the admins scolded us for insulting the military war heroes.

Were they Special Forces Weapons?

Nebiros
Apr 25, 2013

The scarf is nice.

DoctorStrangelove posted:

Were they Special Forces Weapons?

I remember the day Sherman requested Space Shuttle door gunner support for Monty at Tripoli.

drat that kid was funny. For pdw chat, if you like the UMP, try the nailgun now. Fills in for my VAL or PDWR when I'm nt feeling shotties or carbines for some reason.

Pound_Coin
Feb 5, 2004
£

A BIG loving BLUNT posted:

Remember when the MASS damage model was the same value of whatever assault rifle you were running? Pepperidge Farm remembers.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oLYGeGYiTUY

Using this bug with the g3 or SCAR-h :allears:

DoctorStrangelove
Jun 7, 2012

IT WOULD NOT BE DIFFICULT MEIN FUHRER!

Pound_Coin posted:

Using this bug with the g3 or SCAR-h :allears:

Except you couldn't use it witht he SCAR-H since it was engineer only in BF3.

Pound_Coin
Feb 5, 2004
£

Couldn't remember, I did it with the G3 because of the highest dmg per bullet multiplied out by the shotgun bug

underage at the vape shop
May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747
What guns are ~the best~ now? What do I want to use in place of defensive on each class?

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

A Saucy Bratwurst posted:

What guns are ~the best~ now? What do I want to use in place of defensive on each class?

Defensive still has its place, its just less effective against the weapons it wasn't designed for (buckshot/slug shotguns, sniper rifles at close range) than before. As for the rest of the perk trees just pick something you want, there's too much variety to say one is better than the other outside of something specific like choosing anti-tank on a vehicle heavy map or mechanic if you're doing to be using a tank or something.

As for guns I cycle through them all too often to say anything other than high rate of fire guns are still king in any situation where they're still doing their max damage.

Samuel
Nov 5, 2011

A Saucy Bratwurst posted:

Rifles:
(1) AEK
(2) FAMAS
(3) Bulldog

Carbines:
(1) ACWR
(2) ACE 52
(3) MTAR

DMR's:
(1) EMR
(2) RFB
(3) SKS

LMG's:
(1) MG4/M249
(2) M240B/AWS
(3) LSAT

PDW's:
(1) MPX
(2) SR-2
(3) UMP-45

Pistols: (rated for hipfire)
(1) M9
(2) Compact .45
(3) Deagle/Unica

Snoipa never use anything else:
(Sniping of Olympus) SRR-61

Perks:
Medic: Defensive Stay alive, res teammates
Engineer: Anti-Tank / Mechanic exclusively
Support: Perimiter defense / Indirect fire claymores and ultra supression, mortars and infinite ammo
Sniper: Spec-ops / Sniper holding down points with the miracle of 35m TUGS, sniping

Samuel fucked around with this message at 09:53 on Oct 24, 2014

LampkinsMateSteve
Jan 1, 2005

I've really fucked it. Have I fucked it?
I don't run defensive, mostly because I can spot the massive Doritos a mile away.

ItBurns
Jul 24, 2007

Samuel posted:

DMR's:
(1) EMR
(2) RFB
(3) SKS

This is a joke, right? The RFB isn't bad, but the M39 and the SKS are trash tier.

Samuel posted:

Sniper: Spec-ops / Sniper holding down points with the miracle of 35m TUGS, sniping

This is good though. The GOL and Scout are good too.

Icept
Jul 11, 2001

A BIG loving BLUNT posted:

Remember when the MASS damage model was the same value of whatever assault rifle you were running? Pepperidge Farm remembers.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oLYGeGYiTUY

I must have subconsciously repressed how horrible the color palette was in BF3, because good loving lord the dude responsible for that needs to explain his decision without some artistic license copout.

And the guy who made sure to axe the patched in option to restore a normal color setup should also be cursed with a full bladder and an unending queue to the toilet.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

LampkinsMateSteve posted:

I don't run defensive, mostly because I can spot the massive Doritos a mile away.

Not sure what that has to do with Defensive?

ItBurns
Jul 24, 2007

Kibayasu posted:

Not sure what that has to do with Defensive?

People using the Defensive perk have a shield icon when you spot them. It would matter if you care about being more spotted than usual.

ItBurns fucked around with this message at 15:24 on Oct 24, 2014

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

ItBurns posted:

People using the Defensive perk have a shield icon when you spot them. It would matter if you care about being more spotted than usual.

Oh. Huh. Never even noticed. Was that something added with the latest patch? I guess because you'd be able to see someone wearing body armor.

ItBurns
Jul 24, 2007

Kibayasu posted:

Oh. Huh. Never even noticed. Was that something added with the latest patch? I guess because you'd be able to see someone wearing body armor.

Yeah, it was with the HUD revamp. I don't see it as particularly useful. It's not like I'd never shoot a man because he had armor.

sbaldrick
Jul 19, 2006
Driven by Hate
It's great for spoting people trying to hid from you however.

Samuel
Nov 5, 2011

ItBurns posted:

This is a joke, right? The RFB isn't bad, but the M39 and the SKS are trash tier.

Are you kidding, the m39 is the godmonster of DMR's now and the SKS is the hipfire spammaroo you can use at range as well.

A BIG FUCKING BLUNT
Nov 10, 2007

Icept posted:

I must have subconsciously repressed how horrible the color palette was in BF3, because good loving lord the dude responsible for that needs to explain his decision without some artistic license copout.

And the guy who made sure to axe the patched in option to restore a normal color setup should also be cursed with a full bladder and an unending queue to the toilet.

"Just put a blue filter over all of this" DICE

FadedReality
Sep 5, 2007

Okurrrr?
Don't forget about these awesome tweets that went out in response to the mod that removed the filter:

quote:

Its not the BF3 art direction and anyone who changes their files will be perm. banned as its cheating.

Its a surprise for the cheaters modifying game files =) The hack is not only a "brightness modifier", its a proper cheat.

to colorful. Also I wouldn't use those hacks if you don't want a perm ban on your account. FYI warning.

All seem to be deleted now.

ItBurns
Jul 24, 2007

Samuel posted:

Are you kidding, the m39 is the godmonster of DMR's now and the SKS is the hipfire spammaroo you can use at range as well.

Serious post, what exactly are the m39's strengths?

New Concept Hole
Oct 10, 2012

東方動的

ItBurns posted:

You unlock it before the SCAR-SV

LampkinsMateSteve
Jan 1, 2005

I've really fucked it. Have I fucked it?

ItBurns posted:

It's not like I'd never shoot a man because he had armor.

I guess if you have a sniper rifle/shotgun, and go for a chest shot, you know you have to follow it up with a sidearm?

I think that is what the defensive perk offers.

New Concept Hole
Oct 10, 2012

東方動的
Defensive Perk only reduces buckshot by 16% I think, which means that it's still lethal to the chest. The problem is latency/shotgun mechanics more-so than Defensive perk.

Sandweed
Sep 7, 2006

All your friends are me.

Defensive perk reduces damage by 10% in the chest, that's all it does.

Skwee
Apr 29, 2010

たべる つくる
つくる たべる
たべる つくる
ふたり ドゥビドゥバ
So what is the premium event that is supposed to be happening

mcbexx
Jul 4, 2004

British dentistry is
not on trial here!

Skwee posted:

So what is the premium event that is supposed to be happening

Surprise!
It's double XP

Der Luftwaffle
Dec 29, 2008
I like playing Classic since it's the most like the old BF titles but holy christ it's like the lack of 3D spotting turns people minds completely off. Had a round on Flood Zone where an enemy IFV was holding the parking structure pretty much solo. On Normal he'd be swarmed by Engineers after maybe 5 kills, but this guy went on a 30 kill streak because people just kept spawning in as Assault like the sound of his giant goddamn cannon was some natural phenomenon to be ignored.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Der Luftwaffle posted:

I like playing Classic since it's the most like the old BF titles but holy christ it's like the lack of 3D spotting turns people minds completely off. Had a round on Flood Zone where an enemy IFV was holding the parking structure pretty much solo. On Normal he'd be swarmed by Engineers after maybe 5 kills, but this guy went on a 30 kill streak because people just kept spawning in as Assault like the sound of his giant goddamn cannon was some natural phenomenon to be ignored.

Nah, that's just pubbies.

Classic is great though. I said a few pages ago that Classic is what Hardcore should have been from the start. Taking away displays and maps just makes things annoying to me but having a lot of the things from hardcore like no regenerating health, losing ammo magazines if you reload, no 3D spotting, and only squad leader spawn makes the game amazing, not annoying.

OneEightHundred
Feb 28, 2008

Soon, we will be unstoppable!

ItBurns posted:

300 ROF compared to 260 for most DMRs, but it pays for it in recoil and accuracy.

The QBU-88 is pretty much the best DMR at this point, it's basically the best or second-best in every category except for its frequent and slow reloading. The SKS is OK if you want an "assault DMR" or whatever.

Krogort
Oct 27, 2013
What's currently the best deal on premium ?
Can't find it for less than 30EUR/40USD, is that good ?

Also, is there any point in using a PDW rather than a Carabine ? Seems even for CQBish an ACR or MTAR is comparable while remaining more versatile.

Krogort fucked around with this message at 21:41 on Oct 25, 2014

New Concept Hole
Oct 10, 2012

東方動的

Krogort posted:

Also, is there any point in using a PDW rather than a Carabine ? Seems even for CQBish an ACR or MTAR is comparable while remaining more versatile.

If you're going to go CQB, none of the PDWs need to ADS, while that's going to be very necessary for the ACW-R and MTAR if they want to get 5 hits on a target as accurately as possible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skwee
Apr 29, 2010

たべる つくる
つくる たべる
たべる つくる
ふたり ドゥビドゥバ

mcbexx posted:

Surprise!
It's double XP

this is new and unheard of