Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dillbag
Mar 4, 2007

Click here to join Lem Lee in the Hell Of Being Cut To Pieces
Nap Ghost
Where do I go to play this game with other cool people who won't call me a human being for being really, really bad at multiplayer first person shooters? While I do play single player FPS quite a bit (and don't care how terrible the story is), I have not played a FPS in multiplayer since the days of Doom 2 in junior high.

I've had a look at the 2 official North American goon servers listed in the OP, KFS and Camping the Stairs, but both appear to be empty at the moment.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dillbag
Mar 4, 2007

Nap Ghost
I'm terrible at this game. I join a server, any server, get killed 10 times in a row, then ragequit because I'm not having any fun. Anyone have any tips to make multiplayer fun for people who don't play 6 hours a day and have all the unlocks? Goon servers appear to be empty all the time. Please help a sad, sad old man.

Dillbag
Mar 4, 2007

Nap Ghost
Thanks guys, I think I found you both on Origin. I am indeed PST, but have odd working hours. Friend requests sent. Also, what is MAVLAM?

Dillbag
Mar 4, 2007

Nap Ghost

suboptimal posted:

In short, the greatest goddamn thing ever.

Be a recon, set up a SOFLAM in a place where it can't be inadvertently destroyed by your own team or purposefully attacked by the others. Literally anywhere will work- I'd recommend a building in your spawn. DO NOT actually use the controls of the SOFLAM- just place it and move onto the next step.

Deploy your MAV and get into cover.

Fly around the map, and hold the MAV's cursor over enemy tanks, APCs, boats, helicopters (bit more tricky)- any kind of vehicle.

If your squad and team is halfway competent, then the other team's vehicles will cease to exist in short order. This assumes that your teammates notice the gigantic orange squares dancing before their eyes. When it all works, you can shut down the enemy's armor entirely and discover the rejuvenating qualities of pubby tears.

The other day, I had a squad on Silk Road that was totally on board with the MAVLAM thing. They all equipped Javelins, and together, we destroyed no less than three tanks and two APCs in about 15 seconds. I had the other team accusing me of hacking because I got 10,000 points and 0 kills or deaths.

Since you're new, the easiest way to unlock all the stuff for recon without being a useless hill wookiee is to play on a 24/7 Operation Locker server. Throw the motion sensor balls at the chokepoints, and you'll get motion sensor assist points for every kill that your team gets within the radius of the wizard ball.

I guess that makes sense, but I only have 1,178 recon points and I need 66,000 and 91,000 points for those items. I appear to have a long way to go.

Dillbag
Mar 4, 2007

Nap Ghost

Sandweed posted:

I guess double XP is on again.

I thought it was for Premium users only?

So it turns out I've been playing the game wrong as a n00b. I was playing team and squad DM grinding unlocks and getting my rear end handed to me instead of spamming engineer in conquest maps and just running around repairing friendly vehicles and LAWing hostile tanks.

e. Does no one use voice communication in this game? In the 2 weeks I've been playing multi I've only heard one person speak.

Dillbag
Mar 4, 2007

Nap Ghost
Finally getting a bit better at this game, but goddamn that new sound bug. Are there any fixes known at this point?

Dillbag666 for anyone who wants to add a still-not-very-good-at-this-game newbie.

Dillbag
Mar 4, 2007

Nap Ghost
Open question for the veterans here. How often do you end up in decent squads that actually sets objectives, covers each other, and just generally communicates? I just hit level 8 and the only time I've been in a squad that had any sort of communication at all was when some nasally voiced 100+ told me I was terrible when I crashed a chopper.

Dillbag
Mar 4, 2007

Nap Ghost
Thanks for the input, good to know it's not just me. Has there been any success in setting up a weekend goonsquad pubstomp on a server? I get decent pings to the goon server Camping The Stairs, but have never ever seen anyone on it.

Dillbag
Mar 4, 2007

Nap Ghost

Olive Branch posted:

Hey non-UCAV-havers! We are going to grind a few UCAVs and other poo poo out. Interested? Hit me, Switchblade Kult, or UNF_Merica!

I'm in! Just sent you a friend request from Dillbag666. I warn you that I am terrible, though. Will be online in the next hour if you're still around.

Dillbag
Mar 4, 2007

Nap Ghost

Gonz posted:

If Golmud Railway is your thing, I just found a 24/7 Golmud server (Conquest Large) that's incredible. A ton of adult players who actually give a poo poo about teamwork and spamming Q ad infinitum. I must have spent 85% of last 2 rounds in armor just shooting tow missiles at helos and tanks and watching thousands of points and ribbons roll right on in. My gunner even spotted people and warned me of incoming armor on the map, for chrissakes. And there had to have been 3 or 4 mobile spawn beacons all over the map via my squadmates.

This game is so much better when ragequitting junior high school assholes aren't fouling everything up.

This is from a few pages back, but holy poo poo getting a 3ms ping from this server. I may see you on there this weekend. Dillbag666 sporting the LLJK tag. Be warned, I am terrible.

Dillbag
Mar 4, 2007

Nap Ghost

vaginal culture posted:

If you fly a chopper under the seawall on Dawnbreaker it will eject you and you can cap flags/shoot people from beneath the whole map.

This works and you can do it by jumping off an ATV but you can't shoot anyone with pistols, all you can do is stealth cap flags and spot. It's pretty boring.

Dillbag fucked around with this message at 04:15 on Feb 9, 2014

Dillbag
Mar 4, 2007

Nap Ghost
Does :dice: or Origin or whoever actually look at the player logs for users accused of cheating and hand out bans accordingly? You would think that using hacks to go 64-1 with 100% headshots would leave huge red flags and get your account nuked pretty quickly. What's the point of levelling up a bunch of guns and kits when you're just going to get your solider deleted a few days later?

Dillbag
Mar 4, 2007

Nap Ghost

Jetsetlemming posted:

I finally caved and bought Premium. At least I did it through a third party site for $40 instead of through Origin for $50.

Where did you purchase it?

Dillbag
Mar 4, 2007

Nap Ghost
How are you guys communicating right now with the Mumble server down?

Dillbag
Mar 4, 2007

Nap Ghost
Jesus, I just had a round of no explosives Locker with 20 kills to 5 deaths, and I don't think I've ever had anything approaching even a 2:1 KDR in a round up until now. AKU-12 with the FLIR attachment + lobbing smoke followed by a wizard ball absolutely wrecks opposition camping spots like the kitchen. Just popped up and down from the stairs across the hall and busted out 4x headshot ribbons thanks mostly to prone wooks. Took a few minutes before some of the pubbies started chucking flares, but even then only one or two of them figured out what was going on.

Dillbag
Mar 4, 2007

Nap Ghost

joozy posted:

https://www.origin.com/en-us/store/buy/76889/pc-download/addon/battlefield-4-handgun-shortcut-kit-ANW.html

if you dont have all the handguns. heres a free shortcut kit. good till the 24th :D

Just wanted to say thanks for this!

Dillbag
Mar 4, 2007

Nap Ghost
Anyone still GOL achievement farming? If so, what server?

Dillbag
Mar 4, 2007

Nap Ghost

whatspeakyou posted:

I'm posting this as a courtesy to everyone who hasn't done it yet: unlock the DAO-12. After you do that, run through 2 rounds of high-ticket 24/7 metro and you'll unlock all of the things for it, give or take. Put full choke, 12g Dart ammo, laser sight, and whatever reticle you choose. Then proceed to mowing mans. Quite a few times when my team was stuck inside the building upstairs on Metro, I used that thing with a suicidal rush mentality and blew holes through enemy defenses. It's like throwing enemies into a woodchipper.

DAO-12: The Mans Mower.

The same thing that happened to me with the SOFLAM/MAV exploit is going to happen to me with this gun. It'll be patched out before I get a chance to use it because I'm a sad weekend warrior. :saddowns:

Dillbag
Mar 4, 2007

Nap Ghost

CitrusFrog posted:

I'm waiting for a spot to open on that 4 player server you're on at the moment.

Me too.

Dillbag
Mar 4, 2007

Nap Ghost
I need to achievement cheese the DAO-12, so if there are any goons on right now that need it or the GOL or the air ribbons for the SUAV/UCAV or whatever, hit me up. Dillbag666 on Origin.

Dillbag
Mar 4, 2007

Nap Ghost

frunksock posted:

No you don't.

I'm a weekend warrior who can only play a couple times a week because of work and family life, so I'd rather get help / help out my fellow goons than spend hours getting killed trying to shotty 6 mans a round in a terrible map. So yeah, I do.

Dillbag
Mar 4, 2007

Nap Ghost
Tried that, I just get killed. I'm not a good killer of mans. :saddowns:

Dillbag
Mar 4, 2007

Nap Ghost

frunksock posted:

Go assault, equip the starter shotty and medic bags to heal yourself. Run around a little at whichever point it is where the tower is. Do some loops through the underground part, up and down those stairs. You'll have a ribbon in no time.

I hereby apologize to frunksock for being a Debbie Downer. Turns out the secret is to be on a hardcore server when you do this. Run around the tower or camp the top of the 2 sniper towers on the wall and you'll get it in no time.

Tubestank, I THINK I just messaged you back if your Origin name is very different from your SA name. I'm still happy to help cheese.

Dillbag
Mar 4, 2007

Nap Ghost

horchata posted:

Went ahead and bought this game since all my other friends are going to start playing as well. This is my first shootmans game since Goldeneye 64 and I'm kind of lost.

Be prepared to die a lot, but don't pay much attention to your stats or you won't have fun. I found it has a pretty high learning curve to be useful and this was my first multiplayer shootmans game since Doom II! Dillbag666 on Origin.

Dillbag
Mar 4, 2007

Nap Ghost
Just added you, happy to help out for the next little bit.

Dillbag
Mar 4, 2007

Nap Ghost

Gonkish posted:

I got the GOL after an absolutely retarded round of CTF on Firestorm. Thankfully, every single other sniper on the tower (and there were dozens) were absorbing headshots while I picked off dudes. It took some time, but it's over with and I never, ever have to think about that poo poo again. Worst assignment.

gently caress tha haters, next time a lovely assignment like that comes up check the Mumble channel or this thread to see if anyone is available to help out. Achievement cheesed my GOL then helped a bunch of goons get theirs by absorbing bullets and flame for Obama.

Dillbag
Mar 4, 2007

Nap Ghost
Were you the one that killed me with a handgun from the top of the tower while I was running around lighting fires? That was a hell of a shot.

Dillbag
Mar 4, 2007

Nap Ghost

canyoneer posted:

ADS with a full choke and watch the bodies drop.
Then do it with darts and never use another gun again

FTFY

This looks cool. I don't think there's anywhere near 100 goons playing with the LLJK tag, so there should be plenty of space. Who do we nominate to create the platoon?

Dillbag
Mar 4, 2007

Nap Ghost

Cardboard Box A posted:

Where do you find these?

http://battlelog.battlefield.com/bf4/news/view/shortcut-kits-now-live/

Dillbag
Mar 4, 2007

Nap Ghost
Does anyone want me to create the platoon? I'll throw my vote in for Something Went Wrong.

Dillbag
Mar 4, 2007

Nap Ghost
Merica, I'll let you handle it since I'm a weekend warrior and I'm not online as often.

Dillbag
Mar 4, 2007

Nap Ghost
What's the difference between a leader and a member? Higher priority to spawn as squad leader or something?

Dillbag
Mar 4, 2007

Nap Ghost
Where's the invite button? I'm only a member so not sure if it's appearing for me.

vvvv Sweet

Dillbag fucked around with this message at 22:09 on Feb 27, 2014

Dillbag
Mar 4, 2007

Nap Ghost
The OP points to the wrong mumble, the server most goons are using is here:

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3521554

Dillbag
Mar 4, 2007

Nap Ghost
Some goon I just added as a friend had an emblem that was a bum pooping a long brown turd. That's the best avatar I've seen so far.

Dillbag
Mar 4, 2007

Nap Ghost

Nomenclature posted:

What time do Goons usually play? I got BF4 on release day, had crashing problems that prevented me from playing for more than a few minutes, then was without my gaming PC for two months tracking down a problem (that turned out to be PCIe on the Ivy Bridge chip). Then when I finally got everything back up, the Goon BF4 community seemed to be dead.

There's usually 6-12 North American goons on after 6-7pm PST at least until 10-11ish on weekdays in my experience. No one uses the Camping The Stairs BF4 server any more, so just add a bunch of goons to your friends list and you'll see where the majority are playing. Or fire up the CTS mumble and just ask, server info here.

Dillbag
Mar 4, 2007

Nap Ghost

Tracula posted:

NEW WEAPON: Auto 9
NEW VEHICLE: ED-209

Just let me play as Robocop (the Peter Weller one, gently caress yo 2014 movie) in any modern FPS and I'll be happy.

You really should watch :nws: THIS :nws: . It's amazing.

Dillbag
Mar 4, 2007

Nap Ghost

canyoneer posted:

Also, :dice: made a blog post about NETCODE :derp:

quote:

With the January 30-31 game updates, we’ve introduced two new icons to the Battlefield 4 HUD (head-up display). These were added to the game as a way for us, and the players, to more easily troubleshoot common network-related issues that may have negative effects on the multiplayer experience.

The first icon, seen at the top in the shape of a clock, indicates that your connection to the server is lagging. There can be several reasons for this. For example, it could mean that someone else is using your connection while you are playing, but it could also mean that there is a network problem that occurred somewhere between you and the server. The effect of such lag is that it will take a bit longer for you to see what is happening in the game world. If this icon is frequently blinking, you might want to try a different server or see if you can decrease the load on your Internet connection.

The second icon, at the bottom, shows four squares that indicate packet loss. When you see this icon, your connection to the server is experiencing lost packets, which means that information is failing to reach its destination, either when your game client sends it to the server or when the server sends the information to you. Please keep in mind that packets always get lost on the Internet and that you should not be alarmed if you’re seeing this icon blinking once or twice. If you have a large amount of packet loss and see the icon often, you will probably experience game “hiccups” sometimes – action will stop for a moment, then speed ahead to catch up.

There was some discussion what the hell those icons and numbers meant in the Mumble server over the weekend. Guesses ranged from distance to the nearest threat to the time counting down until a missile strike. Good on the devs for taking a loving month to explain what the hell they're there for. :rolleyes:

Dillbag
Mar 4, 2007

Nap Ghost

Randler posted:

Anyone else not getting their promised Premium golden battlepack today?

Haven't gotten it either.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dillbag
Mar 4, 2007

Nap Ghost
Just contacted origin support through online chat and they provided my account with the missing battlepack after 5 minutes on hold and 5 minutes with support. A good experience, would chat again, A++.

• Locked thread