Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Undead Muppet
Apr 29, 2007

ShineDog posted:

Any performance tips? I've put on the beta drivers but its... never great on a gtx770. Seems to make very little difference what I set the graphics to, so theres some kind of issue, but theres so many people having issues it's hard to sift through (Brand new Haswell I7 processor, if theres anything going on with those)

(Only asking cause the only tip in the OP is to put the beta drivers on)

Edit- Did they patch today? hge improvement now. Still not quite what I would expect but its better.

I'm using a 680gtx and an i5 3570k @ 4.2ghz. Here's everything I did that finally made the game playable on a mix of Ultra/High settings at 1080p:

*Did a clean install of the nvidia beta drivers.
*Disabled the Origin overlay.
*When the game is at the loading screen, I close my web browser completely, which includes Battlelog.

I also tried setting bf4.exe to low priority, but that didn't make any noticeable difference. Closing my web browser actually made the biggest difference of all the tweaks. Went from running Domination at around 40fps with giant unplayable spikes to ~10fps regardless of video settings, to a consistent average of about 50fps with Ultra/High and no dips into slide-show fps. Which is odd since I have 16gb RAM and leaving my browser open has never been a problem with any other game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Undead Muppet
Apr 29, 2007

Can the battle pickup .50cal rifle shoot through the glass of the helos? I know it does damage to them. Got a critical mobility hit on the attack chopper with it. But one time the attack chopper hovered right up in front of the C windows with a pilot and gunner, and I unloaded at them from about 20 feet away. Damaged the helo but didn't hit either of the players at a range where I definitely should have hit at least one of them once.

Also it's fun to use as a .50 cal shotgun, BC2 style. Took out a whole squad in an elevator just firing it from the hip point blank.

Undead Muppet
Apr 29, 2007

Welsper posted:

I've had two super serious sperg squads take the bomb out of bounds to block a loss, so I'm ok with this.

I was in a match last night where both sides were down to one bombsite, and a group of guys on my team in a locked squad that only spoke Spanish grabbed the bomb and turtled up deep in our own base. We were all yelling at them and uselessly shooting at them in frustration until a guy in my squad got in a truck, drove it at them at high speed, and bailed out, letting the empty truck run over and kill them. All the guys in the locked squad immediately quit the match after that.

Zzulu posted:

Oh man, I just only now discovered the semi automatic grenade launcher pickup in Domination mode you get behind a pack of sandbags. Get that baby and climb up to the roof and just rain death on everyone

Try to grab the USAS-12 that only spawns in Domination if you haven't had a chance to try it yet. It's hilariously powerful. You're pretty much guaranteed to go on a killing spree every time you pick it up.

Undead Muppet fucked around with this message at 01:17 on Oct 11, 2013

Undead Muppet
Apr 29, 2007

John Magnum posted:

I think I have decent map knowledge, and I've stuck mostly to AK-12 and MX4 so I'm not switching weapons up a ton. I just have absolute poo poo for accuracy.

What mouse settings do you use? Try a lower mouse sensitivity if you're having trouble staying on target.

Undead Muppet
Apr 29, 2007

John Magnum posted:

I have my mouse set to max sensitivity, which is... I think something like 3600 DPS. Very, very high. I can try turning it down and trying to be more methodical in play.

Wow. That seems insanely high. Just checked my own settings. I switch my mouse to 400 DPI for BF4, with my in-game settings at 20%/40% mouse/vehicle mouse sensitivity. It helps if you have a large mousing surface to work with. Try some of the advice from this video and see if it makes a difference in your aim:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=388lm-Be13k

Undead Muppet
Apr 29, 2007

Does anyone else have the issue where choosing Borderless Fullscreen opens the game in a small window in the corner of your monitor, and hitting alt + enter doesn't enlarge it? The only way I've found to fix it is to switch to regular Fullscreen, maximize the window, then switch back to borderless, which is really annoying.

Also, the SP is much better than BF3. They've raised their SP bar from terrible to just slightly above forgettably mediocre.

Undead Muppet
Apr 29, 2007

TangentEnigma posted:

Well, seems like the LMGs are poo poo yet again. Or I'm just incapable of doing well with them but doing fine with any other class of weapon.

There are so few times and places where it's possible to use them effectively. Their mobility is utter poo poo, they lose at range to dmr/snipers, up close to assault rifles and pdws, and do passably at medium range but really seems worse than either a dmr or assault rifle or carbine. It's great to get in a good spot and lock an area down with the type 88 but the opportunities are so rare it almost seems pointless to even play the class until I unlock some carbines or something.

Do you have the M249 from SP? I'm not a fan of the default LMG, but I was mowing people down with the M249. And it starts with a 200 round mag this time.

Undead Muppet
Apr 29, 2007

Had a bunch of good rounds tonight on a normal server that rotated a mix of Conquest and Obliteration. No crashes and no rubberbanding.

Obliteration is the best thing DICE has added to BF in a long time. That game mode has an amazing effect on your average player. When the server I was on would switch from CQ to OB, it was like a switch got flipped in every single pubbies' brain that activated "gently caress you other team! I will explode your EVERYTHING!" mode. It is amazing. Resulted in some of the most intense fighting I've ever seen in a BF game.

Has anyone noticed any occasional odd behavior with reloading? In a few rare instances I've been shooting someone and bullets just stop coming out of my gun so I assume it's empty and switch to my pistol to finish them off, but when I switch back there's still unfired bullets in the mag. And once or twice I've started firing with a full mag and after just two or three bullets the gun auto-reloads as if it were empty.

Thank you whoever made the regular SA frog emblem. Someone from the other team actually complimented me for it tonight. So, nice work!

Undead Muppet
Apr 29, 2007

Taking out a circling little bird by going Rambo on it and pouring a full 200 round mag from my M249 into it, killing all the occupants, felt absolutely badass. Especially after the now empty bird just gently landed on the ground right in front of me and I got to take it for a joyride. Got my first ever kills in the whole BF series as a chopper pilot before anti-air took me out.

^^^^^^
Edit:

Shumagorath posted:

Anyone encountering a bug where you launch the game in borderless but it takes up only a small space? I reset it by switching to windowed then back but it's annoying.

...so is my .4 K:D while I get used to the game. Some people must be on feeding tubes, I swear.

Apparently that happens to everyone that uses borderless. Really annoying. I'm also not doing so great at this game. Barely holding on to a 1:1 overall, but I'm still having a great time when everything actually works.

Undead Muppet fucked around with this message at 04:44 on Nov 2, 2013

Undead Muppet
Apr 29, 2007

I found a creative use for smoke grenades. Throw down an ammo box, and then cover yourself in a never ending smoke cloud. Tried this in Shanghai Dom defending C from inside one of the shops. I could just casually pick off the enemies on the roof, and sometimes people would run into my smoke and I would just knife them when they couldn't find me.

I've actually found myself using a lot of the non-lethal grenade options lately. Smoke, flashbang, and flare all compliment my very aggressive highly mobile playstyle extremely well. And I don't seem to be getting the flashbang crash that most of you guys seem to have.

Also, I managed to pull off a counterknife on a guy that was stabbing my squad mate. It was awesome. Felt completely "Hey bro! Tag me in! I've got this!". I now want an unlockable knife skin that is a steel folding chair.

This game is just amazingly fun when it decides not to be a broken buggy mess.

Undead Muppet
Apr 29, 2007

mcbexx posted:

Holy crap, that netcode.
I can't count how many times I have been killed by dudes just rounding the corner in front of me.

I tried adjusting net smoothing in 10% steps, but it's all the same.
I'm on a pretty good connection with 10-13ms pings.

It's. just. so. frustrating.

Last night in a 32 player TDM server, I kept getting insta-killed by the M416. Always the same guy too, both of us with sub 30 pings. Sometimes I would even see the guy, bring up my gun to fire, and then just be instantly dead without ever seeing him fire or getting any indication I was taking damage. His score wasn't anything suspect, so I doubt he was hacking.

It is insanely frustrating. And it's been that way in every BF since 1942.

Undead Muppet fucked around with this message at 00:54 on Nov 9, 2013

Undead Muppet
Apr 29, 2007

When everything goes right, BF4 is amazingly fun. But the way bullets work in this game pisses me off and is sadly making me look forward to Ghosts on the PS4.

I don't like that BF4 punishes people that grew up playing Quake 3/Unreal Tournament and can move and aim at the same time. If I can strafe around while firing my LMG full auto and still control the recoil to keep my iron sights right on the other guy's chest, I want my bullets to hit him. Instead DICE says "You want to move AND shoot? Well gently caress you! The guy who stands still wins, because your bullets will spray out in an arbitrary cone!"

That doesn't bother me at all in a hardcore sim like ARMA. But BF isn't a sim. It's an unrealistic sandbox shooter with arcade-ish combat. Honestly it doesn't even bother me that at long ranges you need to account for travel and drop, but when an elevator with a full squad opens right in front of my PKP, I should have 5 kills, not 1 kill and then a death from one of the guys standing still and gunning my down with an AK5C. I'm also getting a little tired of the last few nights I've played TDM seeing the scoreboards dominated buy the guys with 200+ pings.

Then again, at the moment it's hard to tell what's a result of how the game is actually supposed to work, and what's a result of the netcode/overloaded servers/buggy game clusterfuck.

Undead Muppet
Apr 29, 2007

ChronoReverse posted:

So what if the squad of five were smart and had started to open fire even as the doors started to open and not standing as close together as possible?

I understand your gripe of the cone spread for moving (and I assume you're already using a weapon with better hip fire and the appropriate attachments to reduce that) but even if the squad is in an elevator, I don't see why 1 guy should necessarily be the winner in the engagement here. It's a lethal game, a couple bullets hitting your head SHOULD finish you.

However, you may have been suffering from the dreaded double KO bug where if you kill someone and his last bullet hits your head, you're instantly dead too.

I was just pulling a random example from the games I played last night. Spawned on a squad mate on the roof, heard the door opening, ADS'd on the squad in the elevator who were all just standing still and mostly not even looking my direction, opened fire and got one kill, then got gunned down by a guy standing straight up and perfectly still with his AK5C.

It's just my personal gripe with the game. I have never liked arbitrary cones of fire. Didn't like it in Planetside 2, never liked it in any of the BF series. At heart I'm always going to prefer CoD's shooting style of "if you can put your sight on a person, your bullet will hit them." I'd be thrilled if someone could make a game that combined that sort of tight close quarters gunplay with modeled projectiles for longer range firefights.

Undead Muppet
Apr 29, 2007

Kibayasu posted:

I don't really get it, what you're describing with the elevator probably doesn't have anything to do with an accuracy cone. There's only so many bullets you can fire in any given space of time and you managed to fire enough to kill one person and maybe hurt another before the bullets from 4 other guns outpaced yours. That isn't a recoil issue, that's a time-to-kill issue.

I guess I should have mentioned that I was strafing while firing ADS to try and avoid return fire, which was related to my early comment about BF4 punishing players who cut their multiplayer FPS teeth on Quake/UT, where standing still was a death sentence. So since I was moving while shooting, even though my iron sights were on target, BF4 adds extra spread to my cone of fire, meaning I have to shoot more bullets per target to get all the hits I need for a kill, which inflates my TTK per target and gives them extra time/reaction time to return fire that they otherwise wouldn't have had if my bullets just went to where my iron sights were pointing.

Like I said, this is a personal gripe I have with the shooting mechanics of BF. I'm fully aware that some people prefer cone of fire style gunplay, and that's fine, but it's a gameplay style that I don't enjoy. And it becomes extra problematic when combined with all the technical problems that BF4 currently has.

Undead Muppet fucked around with this message at 04:32 on Nov 9, 2013

Undead Muppet
Apr 29, 2007

Just unlocked the AKU-12. So... how long until they nerf the burst fire? Because right now that gun in burst mode is just concentrated murder.

Undead Muppet
Apr 29, 2007

codo27 posted:

As of now I don't see any reason to switch from the AK-12 starting rifle with assault. Man that thing is good, on hardcore anyway.

Agreed. AK-12 is my go-to rifle for maps with a mix of close-medium-long range combat. Kobra+Ergo Grip+Suppressor, cuts people down on Normal just fine. Its handling, even firing full auto, is just smooth as butter. I prefer it over the M416, SCAR-H, and the SAR-21 that I've unlocked so far. I do switch it out for the AEK-971 if it's a mostly close range map and I'm playing Assault.

Undead Muppet
Apr 29, 2007

I'm now 100% certain that part of the technical problems at the moment are cause by oversold/overloaded servers (I'm not sure of the correct technical terms here.) Was playing what I think was an NFO provided server last night and was having a great mostly bullshit free time. Just played about an hour on a random Domination server right now, and even with everyone having good pings to the server, most of my death were either from impossible LOS or insta-killed by guns that cannot OHK. And it wasn't just me, several people on the server were complaining about dying around corners and terrible hit reg. So I think some of the trouble really isn't DICE's fault, it's greedy server providers either overselling or providing under-powered hardware.

Edit:
If you're on the west coast, stay away from the CMWgaming.com servers. That was the one I was just on that was a shitfest for everyone.

Undead Muppet fucked around with this message at 03:20 on Nov 10, 2013

Undead Muppet
Apr 29, 2007

Tommy 2.0 posted:

Where are the fun/hilarious bugs like every BF launch has had? Not the ones that we also always get, the crashing and wtf hit detection.

On Parcel Storm, I occasionally get a weird glitch that causes my soldier to leap 30 feet in the air. Not sure what causes it though.

Randomly spawning doom boat from the beta should have been considered a feature, not a bug. It would make everyone's life so much more exciting to have one spontaneous appear in Zavod or OP Locker or Railroad.

Undead Muppet
Apr 29, 2007

MX4 in close quarters is a beast. You can full auto mag dump it and take out ~3 people before they can even react.

Flood Zone in Dom & TDM is a terrible, terrible map.

Undead Muppet
Apr 29, 2007

Doflamingo posted:

Is it just me or are shotguns and DMRs completely outclassed? I tried both on Operation Locker and every time I died I just know that using a carbine instead would've saved me. It's really frustrating since I loved using shotties in BF3.

Shotguns are very powerful on the right map/gamemode, and are great for clearing rooms or rushing in close quarters. The pump actions in particular can OHK out to a surprisingly far distance if you ADS when shooting.

DMRs are pretty weak right now. Engineer on a large conquest map is the only edge case where they might be useful, but even then you're better off using a carbine and cover to get closer to your tagets. Otherwise they are completely outclassed by ARs, LMGs, and Sniper Rifles at medium to long range fighting. Which is pretty disappointing after playing with the M417 murdercannon in BF3.

Undead Muppet
Apr 29, 2007

I wish I was playing this with a controller, so that I could throw it every time I die from getting stuck on a flat piece of terrain, or my soldier going into a state of quantum mantle trying to get over a one foot tall piece of rubble.

Undead Muppet
Apr 29, 2007

Jippa posted:

TDM just gets depressing after a while. gently caress grinding.

Domination plays on the same scale maps as TDM, but tends to be more fun since the fighting is more focused. As long as the ticket count is reasonable.

After grinding DMRs for a little while, I've finally discovered the best one. It's the M240B :colbert:

Undead Muppet
Apr 29, 2007

John Magnum posted:

Oof. I think I'm really not cut out for the SCAR-H, unless it gets way better with attachments I don't have yet. I'm trying to get 100 kills with a bunch of different weapons but maybe I'll move onto the M416. I wasn't wild about the SCAR-H in BF3 either, now that I recall...

SCAR-H works best when you put it in single-fire mode and hang back a bit from your squad, using it as a pseudo-DMR. Back it up with either a high-capacity handgun or the Shorty shotgun.

Undead Muppet
Apr 29, 2007

If you're a very aggressive front line player like me, you'll be much better suited with the AEK-971 or the ACW-R. Either one will saw enemies in half in close quarters.

Undead Muppet
Apr 29, 2007

I just started playing again this week for the first time since launch month. Did they ever nerf the AKU-12's burst fire mode, or is it still pure murder?

Unlocked the MP7. That's a fun gun. It can hipfire to death an entire squad on Op Locker faster than they can react.

Decided to try and finally get all the sniper rifles unlocked. I've been using the Shorty 12g as my primary, then switching to my M40A5 anytime I see a stationary target. The Shorty 12g is beastly. I still hate the way BF handles sniping. I wish they would either go full on realism or full on arcade, instead of their half-assed middle-ground they use now where getting a kill on a moving target or at any significant range feels like 50% skill, 50% guesswork and luck. At the very least I would prefer how sniper rifles worked in Bad Company 2, where I ran around using them as extremely accurate shotguns.

Undead Muppet
Apr 29, 2007

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

I feel like the MX-4 gets a bad rap but I've been having a lot of luck with it!

MX-4 with a silencer/foregrip/coyote is extremely lethal on Op Locker or any map/mode with very close quarters fighting. It's been the only PDW I used before I got the MP7, although I still haven't unlocked the Scorpion or the JS2. It's also the only other gun that I have more than one service star with, the other being the pre-nerf AKU-12.

Edit:
I've been surprised to find out that the DMRs still haven't received any sort of buff. Should I just give up hope that any of them will ever be as good as the M417 from BF3?

Undead Muppet fucked around with this message at 08:29 on Dec 24, 2013

Undead Muppet
Apr 29, 2007

About the only time I actually use an LMG as support is if I'm using my M249 or 240b to murder the pilot and passengers of an annoying Scout Chopper. Otherwise I'm running around with an ACW-R or M1014.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Undead Muppet
Apr 29, 2007

Summit posted:

I guess you need to install this http://www.punkbuster.com/index.php?page=pbsetup.php and then add Battlefield 4 as a game? Seems to be working. Be nice if they included some instructions on Battlelog...

edit: in reference to the fun new bug where you can't respawn

It's too bad that tiny indie publisher EA doesn't have the resources to make sure critical programs that make the game function can be updated through the game client automatically.

Was about to sit down on my day off to enjoy some shootmans. I realize that it wouldn't really be all that hard or time consuming to update PB myself so that I could actually deploy in game, I'm just loving fed up with DICE's total incompetence and EA's complete indifference towards their paying customers.

I guess I'll be playing Ghosts on the PS4 tonight. It might be a lowest common denominator FPS, but at least IT loving WORKS.

• Locked thread