Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Zotix
Aug 14, 2011

What exactly does the Digital deluxe get you, besides beta access? Any deals anywhere?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zotix
Aug 14, 2011

I'd love to know why it's choppy as hell on my machine. i5 3570k, 16gb of ram, 780 gtx. Doesn't matter the graphics setting.

Zotix
Aug 14, 2011

Sounds like there might be an issue with the Nvidia drivers. Pretty much all of the complaints on the forums about the game being unplayable are Nvidia users.

Zotix
Aug 14, 2011

There is definitely optimization issues with the game. i5 3570k, 16gb of ram, 780gtx, 120gb SSD. Game had major stuttering issues last night. Woke up today, did a complete reinstall of windows, still slogging along with sub-par performance. Every other game runs fine, every benchmark runs fine. The game is running 100% all 4 cores, but my graphics card isn't really being used.

Zotix
Aug 14, 2011

Just moved my video card to another slot. Didn't change a thing. Old drivers, new drivers. Doesn't change a thing. Origin overlay off, didn't change a thing. My CPU sits at 100% the entire time in game, while my GPU runs at like 35%. There's something wrong there, and there's no way I'm going to let my CPU run at 100% while my GPU does nothing.

Zotix
Aug 14, 2011

As per a post on Reddit I downgraded to the 320 drivers. I can actually play the game now. Ultra settings 60-70ish FPS, with occasional dips.

Zotix
Aug 14, 2011

Destroying C should require some c4 or other explosives placed inside the tower.

Zotix
Aug 14, 2011

Is there likely to be a patch during beta? Just wondering if we could expect some performance increases, or a better build. Anything like that happen with BF3?

Zotix
Aug 14, 2011

I'm just hoping for good Nvidia drivers soon. That or a better client. It's sad that on my 780gtx I need to revert to the 320 drivers. I'm sure if the beta drivers were worth a drat, that my game would be smooth as butter. At least it's playable now, compared to the latest release drivers, and the beta drivers. Not the performance that I was expecting on my machine that destroys everything else.

Zotix
Aug 14, 2011

Gazaar posted:

My 780gtx handles the game just fine on all ultra with 2x AA using the beta drivers. What's your cpu?

3570 k @ 4.3ghz. Everything else runs fine. I'll try the beta drivers again, but they were poo poo last time I tried them. I'm seeing people with identical setups having issues. Cases where two brothers are using identical machines, and one machine has major issues, and another runs flawlessly.

Zotix fucked around with this message at 02:25 on Oct 4, 2013

Zotix
Aug 14, 2011

Holy loving poo poo my graphics problems are fixed... kind of.

So as per my few posts in here, I've got a decent machine, that should play this game no problem. 3570k @ 4.3, 16gb ram, 780 GTX, 120GB SSD. However, the game had massive stuttering issues with the beta drivers, and the latest release drivers. So yesterday, I revert to the previous drivers 320.49 I believe. The game was playable, not where I expected it to be, but playable at high settings without massive stuttering. It was there, but at small amounts. Today I went to reinstall the beta 331.40 drivers, and the stuttering is back. Unplayable. One thing I noticed with the massive stuttering, is that my CPU is at 100%, and my video card isn't doing much work. My room is cool, which during Saint's Row 4, it warmed my room up even with the ACX cooler. So, I searched around a bit, and there was a post on Reddit. Whenever you load up the game, go into processes and force BF4 to low CPU priority. Low and loving behold, the game runs smoothly with the beta drivers.

Zotix
Aug 14, 2011

Grey Fox V2 posted:

Just a reminder:

*NVIDIA USERS WITH PERFORMANCE ISSUES SHOULD UPDATE THEIR DRIVERS TO BETA 331.40 FOR THE BATTLEFIELD 4 BETA.*

http://www.geforce.com/whats-new/articles/nvidia-geforce-331-40-beta-drivers-released

Many Nvidia users are still reporting issues with the beta driver. It's helpful to repost that, but there are issues that are affecting many users even with the beta drivers. As I said just above, setting CPU priority to low drastically helped with the issues using the beta driver for myself.

Zotix
Aug 14, 2011

Soarer posted:

So for the people experiencing the micro stutters, have you checked the load on your CPUs?

On my desktop with Phenom II X4 965/HD 7870/12GB ram the game runs 30-40 fps but experiences the micro stuttering/lag hiccups and has the cores basically pegged at 100%.
I've downloaded the beta on my laptop which is running a i7-3610QM/GTX660M/16GB ram and while it can't seem to break 28fps I have not had it stutter once, and the cores are't maxing out like on the older AMD proc.

This is definitely the issue. I'm not sure if it's a video driver issue, that is some how making the game not utilize the GPU correctly, or if it's on EA's end but that's whats going on on my computer. My CPU is pretty much sitting at 100% load, and my GPU is at 30% if that.

If it isn't fixed within 24h of release, I'll pretty much be forced to take EA up on the money back deal.

Zotix
Aug 14, 2011

Apparently from what I gather, is the stuttering issues are primarily on systems with Windows 7. Some people report issues still on windows 8, but most people who are playing issue free are on windows 8.

Zotix
Aug 14, 2011

I have to say, I really hope they roll out a better build in beta. I'd like to see how the game runs when it's supposed to. The stuttering issues are pretty much terrible, and I reinstalled BF3 last night to compare and it's night and day. I was pulling 100+ FPS ultra in BF3, 300+ fps in League. Yet BF 4 is pretty much unplayable without doing all sorts of fixes, and even when I do those, the game still runs in a sub par state, and could crash at any time. There is no reason for this with a machine that I'm running. I really hope that if it's not fixed within 24h of release that EA will actually honor the money back guarantee. If it's an issue of windows 7 vs 8, that they fix that as well. I'm not going to upgrade to Win 8 because of one game. Optimally I'd like to be able to play the game at a great framerate like my computer should be able to with zero issues like every other game out. I don't understand why they wouldn't be using one of the latest builds they have in this beta as it's a great chance to test the build on the most machines possible.

Zotix
Aug 14, 2011

It might not be an old build, but they better fix the stuttering. My computer should handle this game at max settings 1080p at 70+ fps no issue at all. This is the only game right now that I have an issue with. I'd like some sort of confirmation on their part that they are aware of the massive stuttering issues that people are experiencing, and some sort of an ETA, whether it is a beta patch, or if it's fixed on release. I have 24h from release to determine if I need to get a refund.

Zotix
Aug 14, 2011

keyframe posted:

It most definitely is an old build.

It isn't really. They made a post on Reddit on Wednesday or so saying that the build was less than a week old.

Zotix
Aug 14, 2011

Any word on when that optimization patch might be rolling out?

Zotix
Aug 14, 2011

Heatin My Harbl posted:

Funny guy, but it's gotten me pretty average FPS in most games since then, so I'm not complaining. And considering there are plenty of people on the forums with the exact same issue as me with 3570ks, I figured that would validate the reasoning to ask a simple question without being mocked, but hey, goons.

But, thanks for trying again, fromoutofnowhere, it didn't work though. Hopefully they'll either patch out what might be causing it, or I'm poo poo out of luck.

I think it's a loving joke that people like myself with 3570k have the game running like poo poo. I really want to see what this performance patch does, because if we are forcing the majority of the player base to upgrade OS's it's a big step back for gaming. I'm running a computer that's around $1500 just for the tower. Having to go to Windows 8 is a joke, and now we are going to possibly segment the population further with Mantle. If the game runs like poo poo after the performance patch, and well into release, I really hope this hits EA as hard as SimCity's launch did, if not harder.

Zotix
Aug 14, 2011

Heatin My Harbl posted:

Well, it really seems like general performance/crashing issues are erroneously being lumped together in the community as one issue. The way the situation looks to me from what I've read all over the internet in the past week is that there are general crashing before you even finish loading issues (mine, random people with random newer processors, including yours) that probably has one or more causes, and general FPS issues caused by the fact that this whole beta seems to be pretty rushed. Some people report Windows 7 working just fine, some pretty much HAVE to upgrade to Windows 8 just to get 20+ FPS, with brand new machines.

I *could* be wrong, but I think a lot of these issues happened in the BF3 beta as well, but honestly, from the complaints online, it doesn't really matter how "new" or "fast" your specs are, because there are so many issues and combinations of hardware/OSes that it becomes pretty hard to pinpoint exactly what each persons problem is.

Well here's the thing. 24h is the window after release to get your money back from EA, as per their policy. So this isn't an issue of waiting a week or two for a fix that might or might not come. Pretty much if the game doesn't run at a solid 60 fps for me on day 1, I have to get my money back. Which is an option that I DO NOT want to do, but I will if it's not working right. I don't crash on loading but, for FPS swings between 30-60 fps, on a 3570k anda 780 is unacceptable. I loaded up BF3 the other night and played flawlessly on ultra no hiccups at all. Granted it's a new engine and such, but I shouldn't be getting anything lower than 60fps on my rig at 1080p. I know it's not a hardware issue, as everything else runs fine. I really want to test out Windows 8 before next Tuesday, but Windows 8.1 releases next Friday. So my choices are either purchase Windows 8 this week and see the performance of the game on it, or get Windows 8.1 next Friday which is after the beta ends, and hope that it runs smoothly on release. Of course the patch they are working on could fix things, but I'm not too optimistic after that tweet. It basically sounded like they might get the game playable on Windows 7, but you really need windows 8 to have a good experience. If that's the case, it's really loving lovely that one OS will make that much of a difference.

canyoneer posted:

I don't get why anyone who has built a computer in the last year is using Windows 7. W8 isn't horribly broken like Vista, it's just uglier than W7 and has some dumb design decisions.

I built my machine last May, with Win 7 being purchased the November before that. Windows 7 has been great so far, and I'm really not too keen on buying a new OS every 2 years like a new Call of Duty. XP worked great, Vista was poo poo, and 7 was actually a great release. There hasn't been a need to get 8 until this point.

Zotix
Aug 14, 2011

Smegmatron posted:

Here's a choice you haven't thought of: don't judge the performance of a product on an out of date and unpolished version which hasn't been optimised for anything at all and was only released to generate some server load so they could test the back end. You may have also heard this referred to as "chill the gently caress out."

It's wonky, it crashes, poo poo doesn't work properly and it stutters. Welcome to every beta ever until Google started describing finished products as betas.

They have one week to roll out a good patch. After that it's 24h of release. Again, I said it doesn't seem promising based on the tweet from earlier today that Windows 8 is apparently going to be the way to go. I will wait and see to make the final decision but I do have the right to be skeptical.

Zeike posted:

I agree, also, Mantle will only be out in December so it makes no sense to expect the best performance on day 1.
What is Mantle going to mean for people with Nvidia cards? Down the line, not just BF4.

Zotix fucked around with this message at 07:47 on Oct 9, 2013

Zotix
Aug 14, 2011

FallenGod posted:

Honestly, I wouldn't put too much stock in most of the performance complaints floating around the web (crashes and the like are a different story). From reading other forums (neogaf, etc) it seems people are mad that they aren't getting the performance they "should" get on Ultra (a deferred rendering engine runs like poo poo with 4x msaa, you say? :allears:) or that changing settings has no performance impact (most require a game restart and / or they're CPU bound).

My system is pretty mediocre compared to what I see a lot of people complaining about, and I'm running on high with two changes: no HBAO (20 more fps beats an effect I can't see) and medium for "Effects Quality" (high is fine 99% of the time, but the reduced smoke on medium keeps my minimum framerate up in certain situations). My average framerate is in the 60-80 range and I think the lowest I've noticed in ~45 right before I die in a giant smokey explosion. Keeping in mind that BF3 retail ran way better than BF3 beta and I'm already doing fine on beta code and beta drivers.

i5 2500k @ 4.0ghz
8gb bargain basement RAM
Geforce 660 with 331.40 drivers @ 1080p
Windows 8

I'm on a 3570k @ 4.4ghz
16gb of ram
EVGA 780 GTX ACX
120gb SSD
Windows 7

30-60 fps with stuttering on high/ ultra. Having done nearly every fix out there.

Zotix
Aug 14, 2011

It's a beta and all, but it appears that as of a few days ago they weren't sure why people are experiencing some of the issues, and that's why they requested people with issues to submit a few different things including dxdiags and such. I've read of people with identical builds have radically different performances on the beta. Two brothers with exactly the same machines are having issues on one machine, and flawless performance on the other.

Zotix
Aug 14, 2011

Smegmatron posted:

Were they also running exactly the same software, background processes, driver versions, windows updates and driver settings?

Do you honestly think it's as simple as "I have X CPU and Y GPU so I am therefore entitled to Z frames per second?" Then again, after some of the posts in this thread, I don't think I could blame you if you did think that.

I'd say someone with a $600 video card and a quad core processor @ 4.4ghz, with 16gb of ram and an SSD should run this game at max settings 1080p without an issue. Yes, yes I'll go on the record and say that this game should be able to be played on any graphics setting without going under 40fps.

Zotix
Aug 14, 2011

So the patch yesterday went a long way to making the game much more playable. I played a match before work yesterday and was in the top 5, then a match after work where I came in second place out of 60 people. Getting access to the AK5C also makes a huge difference.

Zotix
Aug 14, 2011

Question, pretty much within 5-10 minutes of playing windows will ask to switch to Windows 7 basic. Which I'm pretty sure I'm already running. How the gently caress do I get this to go away, or at least register that I'm already running windows 7 basic scheme?

Zotix
Aug 14, 2011

As someone who plays an engineer 99% of the time, having a recon that actually locks targets is so satisfying. I don't know how many points they get for killing a full transport helo, but it's great camping the buildings near A and blowing that thing up the second it gets to altitude.

Zotix
Aug 14, 2011

I did kill a tank with the 50 cal in my last game. Granted it was pretty much dead from a battle with another tank, and the driver hopped out, but I did get the vehicle destroyed 100 point message from shooting it once with the .50.

Zotix
Aug 14, 2011

MrBims posted:

I would only try this if I had enough money that I could write off losing that much while also trying to be stingy with it. If enough people do this that it registers as a blip on EA's radar, you better believe they'll try to charge you the full amount or ban your account without refunding it. This is Origin we're talking about, not Steam.

Buying cd keys from resellers is a fact of life that publishers just have to account for, but messing around with a proxy is trying to pull a fast one right in front of them.

I charged back Simcity and still have access(to SimCity) and got my money back.

Zotix fucked around with this message at 09:32 on Oct 16, 2013

Zotix
Aug 14, 2011

Just an FYI, Nvidia released BF4 release drivers today.

Zotix
Aug 14, 2011

Has the slim jim promotion started yet?

Zotix
Aug 14, 2011

Zotix
Aug 14, 2011

Checked the 3 gas stations near work on my break. Still no BF4 slim jims. They are still rocking the generic EA ones. Any idea how old those are? All of the others that I've randomly stopped by in town don't have them either. I may run by Wal-Mart after work just to see as that's the only confirmed location that I saw in the thread.

Zotix
Aug 14, 2011

So, did the official release happen yet? Origin told me 9pm (I'm in MST). But it's not open yet. I assume Origin was wrong as release was the 29th at 12am EST, which would be 10pm the 28th MST. I figure it's not actually released yet, and I've got another 45 minutes to go?

Zotix
Aug 14, 2011

Can you stack the $5 origin credit from slim jims? Because if I can effectively get premium for about $15 worth of slim jims, I'm gonna eat some cheap meat.

Zotix
Aug 14, 2011

I've got the day off and I'd like to BF4 in a squad. How do I play with goons? KFS looks empty

Zotix
Aug 14, 2011

How do you set a second monitor to be the map?

Zotix
Aug 14, 2011

Commander mode loving owns. I just hopped into a game not having a clue what to do but it was incredibly easy to pick up. Even if my team didn't listen to my orders, I felt like I was helping with the UAV, and EMPs. I could watch my team go against even numbers and just watch them wipe people because of those two above. The vehicle and infantry scans were cool, but I'm not sure exactly how it worked. I'm not sure if the stuff is detected when the lines pass over, and if I do two scans at once if they are just wasted at that point? The second match my team listened a lot better about half way through, and when I knew we had overwhelming numbers in an area I'd drop that preemptive supply drop and watch the points roll in.

Zotix
Aug 14, 2011

Which stealth plane turns faster than the others?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zotix
Aug 14, 2011

Propaganda Hour posted:

Wow if you want to tank your score play Commander. On a good round you get ~4000 points.

I pulled 7.5k last night on my second match as a commander. The more you team listens to you the better. Dropping a care package right as your team takes a point is a surefire way to snag 100-200 points. Over the course of a match this adds up. I don't know how long it takes for it to actually land once you click, so when I see 20 of my guys overrunning an area I drop one right away. Clutch EMP and UAV's really rack up the score.

I've also had a couple of vehicle destructions that have netted 500 points or so, but I have no idea what caused them.

Zotix fucked around with this message at 21:28 on Oct 31, 2013

• Locked thread