Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Snazzy Frocks
Mar 31, 2003

Scratchmo
So attack jets which I assume are designed to attack ground targets are better at dogfighting than the stealth jets which I assume are designed to attack air targets. The one upside of stealth jets is that if you can manage to tail a completely oblivious pilot for a while you can eventually find him without flares at which point you can disable him and then he'll just bail out and all your work was worth a few vehicle damage points.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snazzy Frocks
Mar 31, 2003

Scratchmo
Im using year old ATI drivers (my rule of thumb for ATI drivers is if it aint broke dont update) and everything is working just fine

Snazzy Frocks
Mar 31, 2003

Scratchmo
Get a program that intercepts the keyboard input 'b' and replaces it with something else while you play BF4 :v:

Snazzy Frocks
Mar 31, 2003

Scratchmo
Well after unlocking the 25mm guns and the other aa missles, the stealth jets still suck at air fights.

Snazzy Frocks
Mar 31, 2003

Scratchmo

Lord Yod posted:

Haven't had the opportunity to use them yet but are passive radar missiles any good? From the description they sound straight up worse than heatseekers. Also: spec Ops recon with AK5, wookie balls, and C4 is amazing.

They can get around flares but it requires you to keep tailing your target and hoping the missiles don't crash into anything while the lock is off. Also JDAM seems really hard to use. Hydras don't seem to do much either, but attack jets don't really need to be that much more dominant.

Snazzy Frocks
Mar 31, 2003

Scratchmo

washow posted:

Also did I whine about JDAM being impossible to land yet? Because I want everyone to know how hard it is to land the bombs. Seriously I unlocked it yesterday and I've been dropping the bombs all day today and I managed to land it ONCE. I think it seriously has zero splash damage

No poo poo. I got mine yesterday and did some screwing around in the Test Range. I was getting to the point where I could land bombs one on top of each other on a specific point of my choosing and I smugly went to a live server only to find that the MAA that I was focusing for about 10 bomb runs maybe got hit once or twice for a cool 26 damage and once for a crippling 50 damage.

Snazzy Frocks
Mar 31, 2003

Scratchmo

Someguy posted:

So is below radar still a thing in this game? Obviously not infantry versus aircraft (because of crybabies), but aircraft versus aircraft?

No, sadly, but missiles and damage in general only terminally cripple your jet at sub 15% or something around there as opposed to 40 or whatever it was in bf3. It takes about 4 missiles and change to take you out so you need to play a bit more evasive. Also the jet heals way slower than in bf3.

e: Does anyone know of any kind of comprehensive damage meters for weapons and whatnot like they put together for bf3? Is it too early to expect something like that?

Snazzy Frocks fucked around with this message at 20:58 on Oct 30, 2013

Snazzy Frocks
Mar 31, 2003

Scratchmo
The worst part of stealth jets is the fact that the 3 upgrades that might make them useful (30mm cannons, stealth coating, active radar missiles) are the last ones they get. I still have to get the useless fire extinguisher first (lol really thanks for the save after I'm already at sub 10% health in a jet)

Snazzy Frocks
Mar 31, 2003

Scratchmo
After every upgrade to the stealth jet I unlock I keep hoping its the one that will make them good.... At least there's only one more to go...

Snazzy Frocks
Mar 31, 2003

Scratchmo
Anyone have any experience with stabbing people on stationary weapons? I tried but I don't think its possible. Stabbing people off stationary weapons needs to be a thing.

Snazzy Frocks
Mar 31, 2003

Scratchmo
The air scene on Dawnbreaker makes no sense... its just stealth jets fighting each other and then doing largely nothing while you wonder where the helicopters on your radar are hidden between buildings.

Snazzy Frocks
Mar 31, 2003

Scratchmo
Nothing quite brightens a bad streak of infantry luck as skygodding around in an attack jet with incompetent pilots/aa on the other team.

Snazzy Frocks
Mar 31, 2003

Scratchmo

slev posted:

Are there any green man gaming vouchers that work for this game still? My friend is trying to buy it.

Is he having difficulty buying it? How do you try to buy anything? It is do or do not, there is no try.

Snazzy Frocks
Mar 31, 2003

Scratchmo
Is there a way to make it so that if I'm aiming at a dude that happens to be in line of 2 capture points and 3 allies who need health kits that I can actually see them through the neon lights?

Snazzy Frocks
Mar 31, 2003

Scratchmo

Sedisp posted:

So is it just me or do JDAMs absolutely suck at killing things?

No its not you. Stick with laser guided as it will net you a few kills on busy armored targets and unaware speedy vehicles (that aren't speeding around). As an added bonus you can use it to find unspotted vehicles on the ground when its on cooldown.

e: Is it wrong that I'm getting frustrated at having more competition for skygodding? The worst is having to dogfight someone who is equally skilled to the point that neither of you get anything done in a match.

Snazzy Frocks fucked around with this message at 21:42 on Nov 11, 2013

Snazzy Frocks
Mar 31, 2003

Scratchmo
Miniguns are designed to kill unarmored vehicles/air. 25mm are designed to kill infantry. There's some crossover but whichever one you pick designates the role you should be taking (aside from what your pocket engineers are carrying)

Snazzy Frocks
Mar 31, 2003

Scratchmo

PittTheElder posted:

IGLAs are slightly different. Once a Stinger is fired, you can run off and do whatever you want, the missile will still track and try to hit the target. IGLAs on the other hand require you to hold the lock even after you fire it. However, in exchange they have a longer range, and the ability to shoot through flares. To do that, lock on to a helicopter and fire, as before. But this time you'll hold the lock on the helicopter. If it launches flares you'll lose the lock, but keep your sight on the helicopter. Once you reacquire the lock, your missile will come around again and hit the target anyway.

This works really well on big open maps where there's no cover for the target. However, if the target ducks behind a building or something, you'll lose lock and the missile will miss.

I'm not positive but I think if you fire an IGLA (or passive radars) depending on what you have you can reload and send in a second volley in the air and use the relock to have all the missiles converge and seriously wreck some poo poo.

Snazzy Frocks
Mar 31, 2003

Scratchmo
If you fly slow enough just above the ac130 your landing gear will drop. Which makes me wonder things...

Snazzy Frocks
Mar 31, 2003

Scratchmo

DoctorStrangelove posted:

30mm canon for the stealth jets does three times the damage of the 20mm canon. But it still manages to have only one sixth the DPS of the 30mm gun on the attack jets!

Most people don't believe me but don't use the 30mm on stealth jets. The 25mm is superior due to the bullet travel speed and rate of fire in practice. Also another thing people refuse to believe is using laser guided missiles on attack jets. Laser guided missiles are useful in the following ways:
Use them to force an armored target to pop active protection while youre still far away, you get to dump a ton of damage with the guns after it wears off and then double back and finish them off if it didnt kill them the first time.
Use them to soften a target by 60 damage and then just dump in a measly 40 damage and theyre dead.
Use them to locate ground targets that arent spotted (it will lock targets and equipment like mortars and 50cal mounted guns) regardless if you have bombs ready or not.
Use them to kill tiny vehicles and manned equipment you would be otherwise hard pressed to hit with guns at range. Also infantry on the ground will die to them much easier than it is to hit them with guns on the ground.
Use them to secure kills from your allies since if theyre under pressure and their defenses are popped that instant 60 damage will net you many points.

Snazzy Frocks
Mar 31, 2003

Scratchmo

So SLAMs are a directional explosion? I thought they took out whatever vehicle they were stuck on if they blew up like that.

Snazzy Frocks
Mar 31, 2003

Scratchmo

Liberatore posted:

They do, otherwise you wouldn't be able to blow up vehicles by putting SLAMs on them, as they're placed to face away from the vehicle.

I think what happens is that the explosion occurs where the SLAM is triggered, not where the SLAM itself is when it goes off. Thanks to the short delay and the speed of a jet, this gives enough time for the jet to be out of range of the explosion.

Ah ok. I know how I'm getting rid of annoying MAAs now!

Snazzy Frocks
Mar 31, 2003

Scratchmo
How lazy is :dice:?

Notice the patterns on RELISH and KLMK are the same, pixel-wise, just differently colored. Even ink blotch shares some of it.

e: These are the "premium" paints, mind you.

Snazzy Frocks
Mar 31, 2003

Scratchmo
Chase an oblivious guy around the map for 2 minutes for his tags. "Squad spawn on you - 25" :sigh:

Snazzy Frocks
Mar 31, 2003

Scratchmo
Anyone know of any tricks to help ensure that you can pick up a jet that's about to spawn before the idiot who only knows how to ram it into a helicopter can pick it up? I've tried rebinding my mousewheel to left click but bf4 seems to ignore mouseclicks when they reach a certain threshold of click rate.

Snazzy Frocks
Mar 31, 2003

Scratchmo

Someguy posted:

Go to where the jet physically spawns, sit next to it and hold down the button you've bound to get in it.

That'd be a thing if jets didn't spawn in the air and only will spawn when someone clicks to spawn IN them.

Snazzy Frocks
Mar 31, 2003

Scratchmo

Jbz posted:

My real issue is I can't see the numbers on it.

You'll find you miss out on a lot of useful information on the jet HUDs due to lack of contrast with the sky.

Snazzy Frocks
Mar 31, 2003

Scratchmo
Nothing feels quite as nice as stealing the enemy attack jet mid-air from some dumb recon that abandoned it to land on a roof somewhere and going 28-0 with uncontested air superiority. Also dropped a laser guided missile on some unlucky infantry somewhere after IR smoke broke my lock.

Snazzy Frocks
Mar 31, 2003

Scratchmo

Captain Matchbox posted:

The game should detect if your primary is a sniper rifle when you enter an air vehicle to ditch on a roof and just blow it up with you inside instead

I taken to figuring out how to bail out of my jet to steal an abandoned jet mid-air so them doing this is fine by me.

Snazzy Frocks
Mar 31, 2003

Scratchmo
So I opened a battlepack and got a thing I thought was paint, but is actually CAMO. I'm not aware of any CAMO customization options :confused:

Snazzy Frocks
Mar 31, 2003

Scratchmo
I don't snipe well but give me a rooftop and an AR with a FLIR on it and all the enemies will either be spotted or dead.

Snazzy Frocks
Mar 31, 2003

Scratchmo

Captain Beans posted:

Not really, but you can scale down the hud which is very helpful to avoid the huge IN YOUR FACE icons everywhere.

I tried doing this but I feel like I miss too much on the smaller minimap. I set hud to max and just take my licks when it comes to it.

Snazzy Frocks
Mar 31, 2003

Scratchmo
As an autist skygod, I really don't like the idea of Air Superiority mode. Dogfighting is just a hurdle to jump before you can rain death on the ground below.

Snazzy Frocks
Mar 31, 2003

Scratchmo

Spuckuk posted:

How am I ever going to get these jet fighter ribbons, when air superiority mode is like being punched in the balls over and over.

I wouldnt play air superiority for the ribbons. Play conquest and wreak havoc on unsuspecting boats all over paracel storm.

Snazzy Frocks
Mar 31, 2003

Scratchmo

DatonKallandor posted:

I had none of the Jet Fighter ribbons and got it in 5 rounds of air sup mode. Now I never have to play that mode again. It's ridiculously easy to grind them out in that mode.

You could have gotten them in one round of conquest and not suffered that much air superiority. To each their own I suppose.

Snazzy Frocks
Mar 31, 2003

Scratchmo

Alkydere posted:

The problem with the little bird isn't that it's the only one that gets anything done, the problem is that, as said a few posts up, with two engineers in the back it can "shrug off enough ordinance to sink an aircraft carrier". Unless you hit it with 3+ AA missiles at once, or a tank shell or unguided rocket launcher you can't do poo poo against it.

If you do manage to take it down you're sure to be called a noob (whatever killed them) user.

Snazzy Frocks
Mar 31, 2003

Scratchmo
If you want to make a huge breach in standard internet security protocol I could log into peoples accounts and complete their jet assignments for them. It breaks my heart to hear the lamentations of the landbound.

Snazzy Frocks
Mar 31, 2003

Scratchmo

ScienceAndMusic posted:

Get above target, fly at steep angle downward, drop both bombs just before you have to pull up, they could be in a fastmover for all I care, if i have the angle and prediction right they're dead. And they do a TON of damage on direct hits. A double direct will kill anything.

You sure about that? I thought they capped at 41 per bomb.

I also take back anything bad I ever said about Air Superiority. Its like a points fountain thats constantly flowing. If you're a jet person that is.

Snazzy Frocks fucked around with this message at 04:30 on Dec 5, 2013

Snazzy Frocks
Mar 31, 2003

Scratchmo
BF4 crashes. Had to force it to quit with the task manager. BF4 is still running in the background as a process that I'm denied access to close even as administrator. :wtc:

Snazzy Frocks
Mar 31, 2003

Scratchmo
I just read you have to unlock the m1911 before you can get the scope. I guess I have my goal for the day...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snazzy Frocks
Mar 31, 2003

Scratchmo

Uranium 235 posted:

Active radar works by targeting enemies that are on radar. If you have active radar missiles after you and you pop ECM, you will go off radar and the missiles should lose their target (you). But I don't have ECM, so I don't know for sure.

Flares don't work because active radar goes off of radar and not heat. Flares are for heatseeking missiles.

Flares work on active radar but you have to be super fast to deploy them in time. Flares aren't perfect though and sometimes don't work even for heatseekers. I don't know if it's lag thing or if its just still choosing you out of the various heat signatures that pop up for the missiles after flaring.

• Locked thread