Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CombatBonta-kun
Sep 22, 2003
Ehhhh?
I started off a bit rusty since I haven't played BF3 in close to a year, but after a day I'm starting to get the hang of it. I just got out of a good round where I actually had a good gunner/engineer in my tank. I think we ended up with 8 vehicles destroyed and 15 kills in about 4 minutes. I'm liking all the classes so far. My only complaint so far is that the starting Support LMG seems like a huge piece of poo poo. It feels easier to kill someone with a pistol at 15 meters or less than with the LMG. I do plan on keeping at it since everyone says the Type 88 is godly.

My only real complaint so far that I don't think has been mentioned a 100 times is that a few times when spawning on A, it would put me in the out of bounds area. It isn't a huge deal, but sometime I need a few seconds to figure out what is going on around me or to go prone if I'm spawning under fire.

My i5-2500K seems to be holding up decently. I'm hoping they put out a few more builds before release so I can see if upgrading would be worth it before the game actually comes out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CombatBonta-kun
Sep 22, 2003
Ehhhh?
I really hate the way the elevators work. I had a fantastic moment last night were I forced an enemy into an elevator. I was at a bad angle, so I couldn't shoot him, so I tossed a grenade into the elevator as the doors were closing. At that moment I saw two other names appear. I was going to get a triple kill with a grenade! And then there was nothing.

After a few seconds I realized that because the elevator is a portal, the grenade must have just disappeared. Pretty disappointing to say the least.

Also, did the new beta build unlock some new weapons? I definitely got killed by someone with the M82 and someone else with the M32 MGL last night.

CombatBonta-kun
Sep 22, 2003
Ehhhh?
Has anyone had issues with the big boat spawn? At least 5 times yesterday it was show as a spawn point, but when I selected it, I would end up spawning in the water with the boat not even on the map.

CombatBonta-kun
Sep 22, 2003
Ehhhh?

Insert name here posted:

I've killed many a helicopter with the Stinger simply because each hit will knock out the helicopter's engines and it's hilarious when you hit them when they're maneuvering hard so they suddenly lose most of their mobility and slam straight into a building or ground. Too bad for whatever reason this doesn't grant you a kill with the Stinger which I hope they change in the full game. The other thing that is great is that with the increased missile speed if you ambush and engage the helicopter within 100m or so you'll usually hit them before they have a chance to pop flares which owns.

I really hope that it is changed. I have 1 kill with the stinger listed, but I have shot down at least 5 helicopters. Just because my hit didn't blow them up immediately doesn't mean I wasn't the one that caused them to crash into a building and explode a second after my missile hit.

CombatBonta-kun
Sep 22, 2003
Ehhhh?
It seems that about 1 of every 5 matches I end up having the game freeze on me to the point that I have to shut Battlefield down. I've noticed that it almost always happens when the graphics get very distorted. For example, I was in a game where I was on the TOW launcher next to one of the bridges. I was being shot at by an enemy in a mobile AA. When the screen got distorted, the game froze on me and I had to quit out.

Is anyone else having an issue with this? I'm running an ATI 6950 with the latest release drivers. I could go with the beta drivers if that would help me.

CombatBonta-kun
Sep 22, 2003
Ehhhh?
Finally unlocked the ACW-R and now I know what the first thing I'm going to do when the actual game is released.

CombatBonta-kun
Sep 22, 2003
Ehhhh?

"The Battlefield Blog" posted: posted:

-Increased the damage of the Stinger and IGLA to 3 hits to kill attack choppers (was 25%, now 35%).

I'm a little confused here. I was under the impression that the IGLA was supposed to be stronger than the Stinger because you had to remain locked on, unlike the Stinger's "fire and forget". If they take the same number of hits to kill, what is the point in using the IGLA if it is harder to use?

CombatBonta-kun
Sep 22, 2003
Ehhhh?
Got sick of the multiplayer issues so I decided to try the singleplayer game. I'm getting lockups in there as well. It feels like the beta was more stable than release at this point.

CombatBonta-kun
Sep 22, 2003
Ehhhh?
I got lucky in a match on Dawnbreaker. I had the MAA with the 30mm shells and active radar missiles and was shutting down the sky as well as keeping A and B from getting taken over. I got a promotion, battle pack and two service stars in the game and when it was 50 points from the end, the game froze up on me. I was able to get back in as the maps changed, but when I went to Battlelog, I had kept everything from a 20k point game.

If I had lost all of it, I would have probably given up on the game until the next patch.

CombatBonta-kun
Sep 22, 2003
Ehhhh?
I swear, this is the most bi-polar game I have played. Sunday I got 10 good games in and it was some of the most fun I have had playing a video game in a long time. Last night I gave up after the fifth time that either the game froze or server crashed; I wasn't able to get a complete game in at all. The kicker was that over the two days, I was only playing on two servers; one regular and one hardcore. Neither had issues on Sunday and both had issues last night.

CombatBonta-kun
Sep 22, 2003
Ehhhh?

Synastren posted:

Woah! Lots of sudden and enthusiastic replies to my plea for help; much appreciated, goons!

One thing that I didn't see mentioned that is pretty specific for Battlefield is that you need to keep your ears open as well as your eyes.

Battlefield has the best sound of any game I have played and paying attention to what you hear can really make a difference. There have been multiple times when I have gotten the jump on an enemy squad in a CQB situation because I hear someone yelling in Russian when I'm on the U.S. team.

CombatBonta-kun
Sep 22, 2003
Ehhhh?

Naturally Selected posted:

No one seems to notice that all scout helos expose the pilot and engies to LMG fire. Grab the M249 or LSAT and hose them bitches down. If they're far, bipod out-if they're near, just loving spray. Few pilots expect to run into a wall of hurty lead head on, and there's a really good chance that you will get a multikill and a free heli, to boot.

Seriously, spray them down any time they're close and you will never have a problem unless the pilot is really drat good about staying really high and far from infantry-at which point the lb isn't anywhere near as much of a threat, anyways.

I found this out the fun way when a pilot in an attack chopper got a little to close to me when I was in the .50 on a tank. I must have put about 4-7 rounds right in his face because I saw a kill pop up on my screen and the chopper just dropped to the ground almost unharmed.

CombatBonta-kun
Sep 22, 2003
Ehhhh?

DarkDobe posted:

Two questions:

1) Did any of you have problems with Premium battlepacks?
Of the 3 that I opened, I am unable to use the content of one - namely 3 pieces of camo. I cannot even find the camo in the list, while the gold pack camo I received works just fine, as does the content from the other 2 Prem packs.

From what I can tell, there are camos and there are paints. I have 3 camos and 1 paint from the battlepacks, the paint I can use, but the camo have red boxes around them. I'm assuming that the camo changes the camo that your soldier wears, but if what I read was correct, that hasn't been implemented in the game yet.

CombatBonta-kun
Sep 22, 2003
Ehhhh?

FuzzySlippers posted:

Maybe I'll give it a try in the more urban maps. If I can creep up along buildings or maybe hit it from above I can see making hits with the RPG, but in the big wide open maps with how drat fast tanks can move I'm lucky to get any kind of angle on it much less get to pick my shot.

Seriously, if you can maneuver so that you can get shot square in the rear end of a tank with an RPG, it will gently caress up the tank bad. If your first shot hits just right in the rear, the 2nd shot might be all you need to blow the tank up completely.

CombatBonta-kun
Sep 22, 2003
Ehhhh?
Sometimes I feel like a bit of a failure as an engineer when I run around with the M2 SLAM instead of a repair tool, but drat if it isn't fun to sneak up on a MBT, plant a mine or two and then hit it with an RPG. I have been called a hacker more than once because of this. It only shows the RPG as getting the kill, so most players think that I just 1-shot them.

CombatBonta-kun
Sep 22, 2003
Ehhhh?
I think I will try it tonight, but I'm thinking that putting a few M2s at the edge of the dock next to A in Paracel Storm might kill a few boats that get close to cap the flag. I know it worked at A in Flood Zone with some IFVs.

CombatBonta-kun
Sep 22, 2003
Ehhhh?
Wow, I feel really dumb now that I realized you have to activate the XP boosts...

CombatBonta-kun
Sep 22, 2003
Ehhhh?
It really amazes me that some people still don't seem to know how to play Battlefield.

I join a server at the beginning of a 64 man Hainan Resort Conquest. I hop in a IFV as the .50 gunner with thermals and gunner incendiary. The driver is pretty good and even though I only get 2-3 kills, I had about 6 assists and 10 spot assists. The driver proceeds to drive to C and parks the IFV on the flag. A few hectic seconds of fighting and we cleared the room and cap C.

The driver then takes jumps out and runs away and I'm just sitting on the .50 with my dick in my hands as I see about 10 orange triangles moving towards me. I move down to the main cannon and start blasting away. I wasn't the only person on my team at C, there were at least 5-10 others near me. We hold off the first few waves of attackers and at this point I'm up to 11 kills in about 2 minutes. I wasn't unscathed though, I was sitting at about 25% and screaming at the 5 engineers within 15 feet for repairs.

I end up dying as the last couple of rockets take me out. After that, C is over run and we never get it back.

Not one loving engineer was repairing me. I was holding off the majority of the attackers from overrunning C with that IFV and no one on my team had the forethought to keep it running.

CombatBonta-kun
Sep 22, 2003
Ehhhh?
So I had a weird one last night.

I got into a very one-sided Operation Locker match. We are dominating the other team. I'm rocking the M249 and Mortars. I get some mortar kills and about 10 LMG kills.

With less than 100 points to go, my game locks and crashes. I quickly log back in, but I'm stuck on the team getting slaughtered. I get a single LMG kill and the round ends. I quit in disgust.

So I'm looking at the battle report today and I am seeing I have two separate logs for the one game, one log for my time on the winning team on one for the other. The strange part is that the log for my time on the winning team is hosed up. I have a SPM of 3233, which is just under double the highest SPM I could find in the world (1706). I have no recorded kills with the M249, but my 6 mortar kills are there. I ended up with just under 13k points for the round and no resupply ribbons.

For the report on the losing team, I have a total of 162 points but I also received a Conquest Service Star. :confused:

So am I correct in thinking that because I joined back in, it somehow hosed with my stats? Would it just be best to not try and join back in if you are having a good match and then the game freezes?

CombatBonta-kun
Sep 22, 2003
Ehhhh?
I'm trying to unlock the L96A1 before China Rising comes out and I just got all the 1 round kill parts done, but the second part is getting the Recon Ribbon 3 times. Am I correct in assuming that they mean the Sniper Rifle Ribbon, since there isn't anything listed as a Recon Ribbon?

CombatBonta-kun
Sep 22, 2003
Ehhhh?

Bohemian Nights posted:

I've figured out a lazy no-effort way of taking out any scout chopper, no matter the pilot. Even a dozen engineers wouldn't be able to save a scout chopper from a kamikaze stealth jet, which is currently the absolutely best way to utilize one of them, is basically unblockable, and entirely survivable for the (former) pilot if you just bail out at the last second. It is highly recommended and highly cathartic.

Most of the time, your team will just use the stealth jet as a disposable taxi, so you might as well do something constructive with it

I feel like they should be more like the RCB's where you can kill the crew pretty easily since they are completely exposed. 30-60 rounds of HE 30mm and a few missiles should be more than enough to kill anyone other than the pilot.

CombatBonta-kun
Sep 22, 2003
Ehhhh?

Tommy 2.0 posted:

How is the L85? And do you have to do the requirements in one round?

You have to get all the "kill with X" in one round. The ribbons are cumulative, so you can get them all in one round or spread out over several games.

CombatBonta-kun
Sep 22, 2003
Ehhhh?
Did something happen and some stats/unlocks get rolled back? I just noticed in battle log that I am missing the last 9 unlocks for the attack boats. I got the last unlock over the weekend but now it is looking like they are gone.

Edit: Went to the test range and all the unlocks are there, but I can't put them in the load out in battle log.

CombatBonta-kun fucked around with this message at 08:33 on Nov 22, 2013

CombatBonta-kun
Sep 22, 2003
Ehhhh?

DarkDobe posted:

What is a good Carbine to aim for as an Engi in particular?
As much as I love my P90 - and I loving ADORE the thing - I really am starting to realize just how awful the bulletspray on the gun is at anything but close-medium range, so I'm looking to pick up something a touch more versatile.

Is the Sig 553 any good? It's always been a favourite in other games, so I'm wondering how it holds up in BF4?

I get murdered a LOT by the AKU, so there must be something going on there, too.
Or even the MTAR? That shouldn't be overly difficult to pick up, given the assignment.

The AK 5C is a beast and the first carbine you get. Some people really like the ACE 52 CQB and the AKU-12, but I found the MTAR is the only carbine I like better than the AK 5C.

CombatBonta-kun
Sep 22, 2003
Ehhhh?
Even with it's faults, I am still enjoying the game, but there are still instances where I just want to punch my monitor.

Last night I was leveling shotguns on Operation Metro with the QBS-09 with the duckbill. At one point I run down some stairs by the D flag and see an enemy with a LMG crouched next to the wall. Thinking I have a free kill, I fire twice at about 25 feet and then I die. The kill cam showed the enemy with the LMG as the one that killed me. The part that was infuriating was he was sitting at 100% health and I could clearly see the damage from the two shots I fired on the wall behind him. If he was at less than 20% health then I would be pissed but ok with it, but at 100% when he should have been cut in half by those two shots almost made me rage quit out.

There have been so many instances where I will put 3-5 rounds on target, get the hit indicators and then just die from a few shots from the target that should be dead or at least a bit hosed up and see them at 100% health. I'm still having fun with the game, but poo poo like that gets very old, very quickly.

CombatBonta-kun
Sep 22, 2003
Ehhhh?
Finally unlocked the L85A2 today. I swear, getting the pistol kill was harder than the defib kill.

CombatBonta-kun
Sep 22, 2003
Ehhhh?
Played my first game on KFS last night and it is such a breath of fresh air to play with people that mark targets, go for objectives and actually play as a team.

I already went through and filled out the info on KFS.xxx, but should I have [LLJK] as my tag just so it makes it easier on admins?

Tilda posted:

Bought the game today and am busy noobtarding around.
Any websites or reading I can peruse to not be such a shitlord? How the hell does anybody do anything in a helicopter? My best moment trying the flying things was when i got in the one that just has two passenger mini-guns - some guy said, just stay level and dont crash/get blown up. I could do that!!
Tanks are fun, but if you meet another tank it always seems to be a 4-shot race to death. Can you aim tactically? If so, where's it best to aim?

The test range is the best place to learn to fly. Spend some time there to get a good feel for how to maneuver close to the ground and around buildings.

With tanks there are two things to aim for. The first is that the rear end of a tank is the weakest area, so if you can get behind a tank before they know you are there, you have the upper hand. The second is to hit a tank square. An angled shot will do less damage than a square shot. If you can happen to hit a tank square in the rear end, it will take a massive amount of damage.

CombatBonta-kun fucked around with this message at 19:22 on Dec 1, 2013

CombatBonta-kun
Sep 22, 2003
Ehhhh?
At what point do you call someone a hacker? In the last game I was in (Operation Locker), there was a guy who went 29-9 with 17 P226 kills, 13 headshots and 41% accuracy. I know for a fact he headshot me to death from about 75m when I was shooting at him with a PKP.

I've seen more than a few goons on the AWOL - Seattle servers, so if anyone runs into BRuTAL_K0mBAT, don't be surprised if he kills you and you don't know how he managed it.

CombatBonta-kun fucked around with this message at 00:58 on Dec 2, 2013

CombatBonta-kun
Sep 22, 2003
Ehhhh?

Umberger posted:

Not when someone is 29-9. With the one hit kill bug on headshots it's not really that weird when someone's kills are primarily headshots either.

True, but with a pistol at range against a LMG, it seems suspicious. I haven't been killed that quick by a pistol even on HC pistol servers.

CombatBonta-kun
Sep 22, 2003
Ehhhh?

Robot Randy posted:

gently caress Air Superiority. gently caress jets. gently caress Skygods. gently caress :dice: for making AS part of an assignment.

I have 0 unlocks for anything that flies in BF4 right now. I don't know what it is about air combat, but I just don't get it.

Needing 3 Jet Fighter ribbons for the UCAV? I'm pretty much hosed.

CombatBonta-kun
Sep 22, 2003
Ehhhh?

Mister Fister posted:

I wonder how playing helicopters/jets using a flight stick like this would be like:

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss_1?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=flight%20stick

It has to make it easier

I've been hearing that the XBox 360 controller is pretty good. I just want to know if it can be set up so only air vehicles use it and it doesn't change anything for infantry or ground vehicles.

I've been looking at a XBox 360 controller since I got Sleeping Dogs, so this would just make it a no-brainer for me.

CombatBonta-kun
Sep 22, 2003
Ehhhh?

Perestroika posted:

Hey man, you're totally gonna find a use for that light on your AK-12. :haw:

Speaking of flashlights, has anybody here ever seen them used against them? If so, how great is the actual blinding effect? I like to slap a laser/light combo on my shotguns switch it to light when I go into really close quarters, but I haven't ever really noticed it making much of a difference to how quickly or accurately I'm getting shot.

I actually like the tac lights for close quarters fights. It doesn't actually turn on until you aim down the sights, so it has a little bit more of a blinding effect. I like to keep one on my 1911, it seems like it gives me a half second advantage in some instances.

CombatBonta-kun
Sep 22, 2003
Ehhhh?

ScienceAndMusic posted:

Repairing vehicles from the inside of them while they are on the move (little birds etc) is one of the poorest design choices I have ever seen.

Yeah, hitting a Little Bird with 10 of 14 Stingers in about a 3-4 minute period and having it still flying can be frustrating. It was worth a poo poo load of points though.

CombatBonta-kun
Sep 22, 2003
Ehhhh?

jisforjosh posted:

Learn the ways of the SRAW and live life knowing full well you just pissed someone off with a OHK with no warning

I've gotten a few kills with the SRAW on unsuspecting helicopters, this was just a situation where I was spawned without double checking my loadout. Even with a friendly support dropping ammo crates, I wasn't able to take down a double engineer Little Bird, even after I hit it 10 times.

They should just make it so that you can't repair a vehicle as it is moving. It isn't like you don't have to park a boat or MBT/LAV to repair it. Having to land a helicopter for 30 seconds takes it out of the fight and makes it vulnerable and I have no issues with that.

CombatBonta-kun
Sep 22, 2003
Ehhhh?

Storm- posted:

Apparently I did not log in yesterday and missed out on my M1911 scope. Did anyone else did the same thing and managed to persuade the live chat guys to unlock it for you anyway? First I don't get my veteran battlepacks now this poo poo. Getting kinda tired of all the timed promos and unlocks only available during a certain time frame. The day has only so many hours and there is too many goddamn games to play.

Battlelog has the unlock listed for today, so you might have been a day early.

CombatBonta-kun
Sep 22, 2003
Ehhhh?
About how long does it take for the Slim Jim battlepacks to show up? I redeemed the XP bonus, entered the code into Origin and it looks like it works, but that was a hour ago and I haven't received any battlepacks yet.

CombatBonta-kun
Sep 22, 2003
Ehhhh?
Do some levels have auto AA turrets? I was in the stealth jet on Paracel Storm and twice I was shot out of the sky and all it said was You Were Killed. I was fairly close to the enemy's base, so that could have been the problem.

Also I've said it before, but gently caress trying to get 3 aircraft ribbons.

CombatBonta-kun
Sep 22, 2003
Ehhhh?

JoshVanValkenburg posted:

I will never be jet daddy. I am just too bad at flying and shooting. Perhaps someday there will be another way to get the UCAV. :(

I've pretty much given up on it at this point. In the 3-4 hours I've played today, I have gotten the attack jet once and was able to make 2-3 passes and 0 kills before getting shot down.

CombatBonta-kun
Sep 22, 2003
Ehhhh?

lombardo posted:

Has KFS been empty for the past few days or did I get whitelisted?

I think it usually doesn't start to fill up until later in the day. It also seemed to be down for a day or so when the maps were being switched (I assume) from China Rising back to the original maps.

Had some fun on KFS last night. Used a 100% XP bonus on top of the Premium 100% on OP Locker and points just stream in. If anyone wants to add me on Origin, it's Foundation82.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CombatBonta-kun
Sep 22, 2003
Ehhhh?
There are parts of this game that still confuse me. Earlier I was performing a melee takedown; I ran to the target from behind, spun them around and planted the knife in their chest. Before I pull it out, I get spun around and get knifed in my chest and die. I looked at my weapon stats and it looks like I never got credit for the kill. I just got the Bowie knife and that would have been the first kill, but it isn't there.

I have shot enough enemies when they were performing takedowns that I have just assumed that unless there is a knife counter, the kill goes through. Hell, I've walked up to guys and put 2 .44 mag shots in their head from 3 feet and they still finish before dying. So my question is, if you perform a melee takedown on someone performing one as well, is that considered a counter and stops their kill?

• Locked thread