Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair
I made a new emblem, and suddenly I am doing really well every round. Coincidence? I think not:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair
I was just playing Paracel with a friend and we decided to hop in the Chinese RFB and sow some havoc. We came across our RFB beached on the little island south of point D and got sad for a minute. Then we hopped into the thing anyway and holy poo poo. We became a death factory. We were able to suppress and kill people at C and D and the US just kept feeding us RFB and chopper kills as they tried to come get us.

The most brutal Gilligan's Island ever.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

n0n0 posted:

I always tried to get into Battlefield 3, but the pacing always felt off. And the maps didn't feel feel good. And it just wasn't what I wanted to play. Coming from Battlefield 1942 back in the day, it just felt... too fast? Or something.

Battlefield 4 is awesome. The map that floods, and the Dam map -- holy poo poo. Don't get me wrong, I totally suck (0.5 k/d with pubbies), but it really brings back memories of 1942.

If it weren't for the random crashes, it would be so awesome.

I'm totally with you on all of this. I loved 1942 and 2, but 3 just didn't sit right with me, and I never played BC2. 4 is totally hitting a sweet spot in terms of franticness and (for lack of a better word) pacing.

Last night I was attacking on that Railroad map in Rush mode and we had taken the first MCOM and pushed across the railroad embankment itself, but then got pinned down hard behind the rocks. We made some probing pushes in the middle and right of the map to no avail. Then we busted through the left side behind the cover of 2 tanks who just roared up the hill with all guns firing constantly. The map ended not too long after because the ticket count was way too low, but it really felt like the sort of awesome combined arms moments that seemed to happen in BF2 with some regularity, but I never really experienced during my time in BF3.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

n0n0 posted:

Loving this game.

And then it crashes.

Incidently, what happens to my score if my client crashes? Do I lose it?

I have had almost no issues with client crashes, but I have historically been really lucky with Battlefield stability as I never had issues with 1942, 2 or 3, either.

If your client crashes, as long as the server survives to the end of the round, your progress should get saved since that's where it's all being recorded. At least, that's what I've been told (and it makes sense.)

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair
I played the first 2 missions of the campaign, and Irish standing on the front of the boat yelling for people to follow him is :911: as hell.

But yeah wow the Rex sucks rear end even in single player, holy poo poo.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Sappo569 posted:

It's great too, because he isn't even looking in the direction of anyone, he's just sort of staring off into the water screaming in english (at non english speaking people) to FOLLOW ME :byodood:

He was looking at other boats for me. And I figure even if they can't speak English, the tall black dude with the MG yelling in English would be a "Oh hey an American he's probably going to the Navy!" flag.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Grey Fox V2 posted:

I was expecting some super pro 420 no scope save at the end there but you delivered something more Battlefield then that.

I scored a mobility kill on a scout chopper today with my M320 and felt like the biggest boss ever. I mean, the same chopper then spun around and shot me into tiny pieces, but still.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair
Man, I want to play the campaign just to unlock the shiv, and I'm on that mission now, but I had to quit for a bit and apparently none of my progress got saved to Battlelog.

If the weapons options in the campaign weren't such poo poo I would probably just rip through it again, but my god the loadouts they give you are unmitigated rear end.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Umberger posted:

Download this. Play through the last mission (or start at the prison one, whatever). If you play through the last mission it will unlock the REX, Shiv, Machete, and whichever ending-appropriate unlock you choose.

You're a good man, Charlie Brown. Where do I drop the files?

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Captain Matchbox posted:

I'm seeing a lot of that orange dog face meme as emblems which looks impressive. And I saw a guy with a lemongrab kill me and I just had to rage type UNACCEPTABLLLLLLE to him

Man, AT faces as emblems never even occurred to me. I am a bad man.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

ChronoReverse posted:

Yes.

But I generally don't charge and just drop a medbox instead since I don't want my patient to die while I'm charging.

I feel bad about carrying the Defib and M320, but I gotta blow people up. I guess I emphasize the "combat" part of Combat Lifesaver.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

fknlo posted:

Got to love rounds where you get dominated by the C130 because absolutely no one will do any of the million things that will kill it and then will complain about how OP it is in chat. Jesus Christ.

How do you kill it without a jet?

Ice Fist posted:

The babies in here whining about snipers haven't played with any good ones and the only excamples they have are the retards who sit on top of the buildings on Dawn or the Towers on rogue. Those guys suck and you should definitely hate them, but we're not all like that.

Yeah, some snipers have a dude firing his AK wildly into the air right behind them!

Inspector_666 fucked around with this message at 23:46 on Nov 26, 2013

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

americanzero4128 posted:

New :dice: bug: Double XP is always applied, except during double XP weekends for regular and premium users, when it will revert to normal XP.

That would probably be a huge net win for most people.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair
Also I don't see how Karkand is comparable to Metro or Locker. That may could be dynamic as hell.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

DoctorStrangelove posted:

In BF3 it was but in BF2 is was a giant meatgrinder made of grenades and indestructible claymores.

I loving loved that map in BF2 and never found it to be a linear slugfest. Maybe I'm just misremembering, but I know I used to run flanking stuff around the side to great effect.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair
I just don't understand why I'm paying the full game price again for DLC within a couple of months of the game coming out.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

OGS-Remix posted:

It's supposed to be a combined arms game, not skygods rule over and smite who they wish with impunity.

loving seriously. The balance was so totally hosed in BF3 and I'm glad to see they flipped it around in this one.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Handsome Ralph posted:

Keep in mind, the reason they saw a drop, is that analysts/investors are more upset that they won't be cranking out more content for people to buy, and instead, are holding off releasing new DLC till they fix things.

Investors could give gently caress all about how reliable the product is, they only care that it sells.

Investors do care about "reliability" because public perception and not having all of your sales nullified by returns (not really an issue for EA but still) absolutely matters in ways that affect the bottom line.

Goons have a hilariously myopic view of what most investors actually look for.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Handsome Ralph posted:

Yes, of course they care about reliability. My point wasn't that they don't care about it at all, but that it takes a back seat to "Will it sell, and can we continue to sell it without incurring further costs in trying to improve it?"

Investors aren't nearly as upset about the game being unreliable as they are that EA is being forced to admit as much and also temporarily cease work on new products that bring in revenue.

I feel like you're saying the same thing in two different ways here. Of course the fund manager at JP Morgan who is dealing with the EA shares he controls doesn't care that the game is crashing due to the sound loop bug specifically, but he cares that it's making EA look bad and loving up their other product development cycles.

EA is a software company, inherent in their business model is product reliability.

Sorry, it just really annoys me when people see a videogame company's stock go down (like EA's did during the SimCity debacle) and then say "Well the investors don't care that the game doesn't work!" when that's...the total opposite of the truth.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair
So being the poor decision maker that I am, I feel the urge to buy premium, but before I splash out $50, are there any deals currently running for it?

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair
Can somebody explain how guided shells for the MBTs work? Is there a minimum distance or anything?

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair
So it seems like the TOW is really the way to go in terms of secondary weapons in the Attack Boats. The Laser Guided Missile takes forever to lock, there's no SOFLAM built in, and you can fire the TOW and switch back to the main gun and still guide it. Am I wrong on any of that?

Ravenfood posted:

More damage, less splash, more drop. If you don't have Sabot yet it'll let you hit tanks harder in a close-in brawl that don't have active protection, but that's really it. I don't think it drops your shots-to-kill at all, so you're just overkilling them. I skipped it and was happy with that.

HE in-game sounds like the complete opposite of what HE should be. It should do less damage to armor, but totally obliterate infantry with a huge splash. HE having less splash than AP is :dice: incarnate.

hreple posted:

Still can't play Shanghai - Soundloop crash just came and swept me away from a map that seems pretty drat cool.

I'm sure glad my SSD is filling up with great patching where I still can't play tons of the nice maps that actually was released what - a month ago? Amaz ...

I symlinked the download folders for both BF4 and Steam to one of my platter drives and haven't really had space issues since. Highly recommended.

Inspector_666 fucked around with this message at 15:58 on Dec 9, 2013

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Lazyfire posted:

Also, if you aren't running Alphabet Soup shells and Zunis on the LAV you are missing your opportunity to kill tanks in a head to head fight.

I'm always on the precipice of switching to the APFSDS rounds on the IFV, and I guess I probably should just do it and murder all tanks forever. How many rounds does it take to kill infantry with them?

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair
The fact that APFSDS rounds don't do more armor damage is loving my head right up. What the christ.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Stanley Pain posted:

They shred vehicles, but suck most much vs infantry on non direct hits.

Yeah, that's what I would expect.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Mcqueen posted:

Knifing and enemy who is in the process of knifing a squadmate is amazing and left me feeling like John McClane or some other pretty cool dude.

The other day I was playing Assault on Rogue Transmission, and we were assaulting up the hill into D. I came up the hill, dropped a few guys with my M416, then while reloading a guy came around from behind the cargo containers so I switched to my pistol, put 2 rounds into his chest and watched a teammate walk out of the shadows behind him and take his tags.

Battlefield needs a "Give high five" button implemented.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

DatonKallandor posted:

They really need to buff the poo poo out of the assault class. It's so bad. The various underslung launchers and shotguns should just take a weapon attachment slot (assault rifle only, so it's class specific) and keep the medkits/defibs in the gadget slot.

I loving love Assault, but yeah, I would love to not have to pick between hurting an healing quite to the extent that I have to currently.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

DatonKallandor posted:

Getting killed by air when it was too strong back in BF2 and you had no way to fight back sucked! Air getting killed by ground in BF4 with no way to fight back is awesome!

Targeted outrage much?

It is awesome because gently caress airpower. Ground combat involves a lot more people and is why people buy the loving game.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Someguy posted:

That's funny since I thought people bought the game because BF does large scale combined arms and integrates infantry and vehicle combat better then any other game on the market, and the people that just want a dumpy infantry only arena shooter bought COD or one of the 100 other games like that. But who knows at this point.

Yup because if I think the airpower in Battlefield makes the game boring and is dumb then surely the only possible thing I want is CoD. That's why there are no BF4 maps that don't have jets on them!

Vehicles includes more than just aircraft :ssh:

(Also for the record my issue is mainly with planes. I think choppers are fine.)

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

OGS-Remix posted:

Actually for BF4 I feel it encourages combined arms far more then BF2 or BF3. In those two games, air power was pretty much un-touchable by anything but another jet. Now with MAA and infantry AA being as strong as they are, it requires the pilots to coordinate with their team to take out those threats.

If pilots actually talked and said "hey there's a mobile AA at C, can someone take it out?" people would probably be more willing to go over and rpg/c4/jihad jeep it. Skygods just need to change their mindset and realize that they can't dominate solo anymore, they're part of a team now. Similarly a loaded scout heli shouldn't just rack up kills on infantry when you basically have a highly mobile c4/rpg/mine laying platform.

This is well said.

Also I realize that my last two posts have been pretty much throwaway garbage, and for that I kind of apologize even though I stand by the sentiment.

The issue is that in BF1942 it was pretty easy to balance airpower since you're talking about slow moving prop planes without laser-guided missiles. Since BF2 it's been a lot harder, but I would vastly prefer the ground-side people to have the advantage since if the planes have an unmitigated upper-hand (BF3) then it means 4 people are having fun while the enemy team is miserable and the winning team pretty much just sits around camping everybody into the uncap. As it currently sits the guy in the MAA is having a blast, the pilots are (maybe) hating life, but everybody else on the server is still blowing the poo poo out of each other with all the other hardware sitting around.

I think if a map has jets it needs to have at least one MAA, preferably guaranteed at the uncap.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

krispykremessuck posted:

I don't disagree with your point on KDR, though, and I wish DICE would do something to fix things people do to actively try to pad their KDR. Not being able to eject from critically hit aircraft would be a really good start.

Wait, what? Are you saying that if you're in a chopper and it gets hit you should have to ride it down?

That's dumb.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Sultan Tarquin posted:

He means sky gods just jumping out of the plane when you magically get a disable crit on it so they keep their ~sick k:d~

It seems perfectly reasonable for people to be able to bail out of critically damaged vehicles.

I mean, changing it to keep them trapped in a flaming wreck would only make sense as a way for you to...pad your K:D ratio.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

krispykremessuck posted:

When the screen is flashing POWER FAILURE and the vehicle is unresponsive, yes I don't think you should be able to magically bail out. Now that hit detection has been fixed though I'm properly getting the roadkill credits for people that dip out of a vehicle that's getting destroyed so it's less annoying.

Nah. Just make it a 50/50 chance to not work when the vehicle is disabled.

Or maybe add in an animation of you having to manually pop off the canopy? Better hope you have enough altitude :v:

I see your point though, and I guess that the death sentence wouldn't apply to transport/scout chopper passengers since they're all standing in doors anyway.

Inspector_666 fucked around with this message at 22:05 on Dec 17, 2013

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

rrrrrrrrrrrt posted:

Yeah, I miss Seine even though at the time I thought it was a pretty poo poo map. Every point in Seine conquest was its own little world with its own nuances and gunfights. BF4 seems to have a thing against hiding in buildings.

Seine did have a shocking amount of different "terrain" that required a different set of tactics for an urban map. It was also really nice to see places on a map that were pretty much automatic death sentences for vehicles if you didn't properly support them.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

krispykremessuck posted:

Are you aware that there's a bug within Battlelog that occasionally changing settings on anything returns it to default?

I thought the same thing as you when this game dropped, but it's definitely set by the person occupying the gunner seat.

It seems dumb as poo poo to me that stuff like MBT SOFLAM is unlocked by whoever is sitting in the seat since there is a really good chance whoever is driving the tank won't be able to even take advantage of it.

IFV SOFLAM is pretty great though since it seems like everybody has the TOW.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair
How long does the actual protection from AP last? Or does it just shoot down whatever is in the air when you hit X?

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair
How the gently caress do you people care so much about a game where you literally start over from scratch every half hour or so and can change server at will.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

fivre posted:

You're a mod, shouldn't you know by now how horrible goons are?

It just blows my loving mind that it's so virulent in this thread. People get this mad at Dota, which I understand because you're stuck playing for at least ~25 minutes at a time, but in Battlefield you just quit and move on.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair
I played my first game of Silk Road last night. I hopped into an MBT right as I joined and shot down a full transport chopper with my first round, arcing the shot over a dune. :hellyeah:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

CombatBonta-kun posted:

Did it actually blow up or did you just make it lose control so it fell to the ground?

Vehicle Destroyed, Squad Wiped and multiple kills. So yeah, blew it up.

Also is there some kind of logic to the Battlepacks that make them never, ever give me anything for guns I actually use?

• Locked thread