Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DrPop
Aug 22, 2004

Okay so I tried to pre-order it through the page linked above and after I filled out all my payment info it kind of just booted me back to the pre-order page and I'm not sure that my order went through and I have no email confirmation. What the hell?

EDIT: I now have a $1 pending charge to EA on my CC...what

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DrPop
Aug 22, 2004

Hot drat this is running like rear end on my i2500k and GTX 570. And it looks worse than BF3 too :(

DrPop
Aug 22, 2004

kevin mung posted:

I don't know if I'm crazy or whatever but this game seems to look (and run) way worse with settings maxed than BF3, like everything is crazy blurry and the map itself really barren and ugly. Also the UI is massive and cluttered, I feel like the target audience was 90 year olds. The HUD scale in the options only seemed to affect a few things.

I don't remember the BF3 beta being this straight up janky and unpleasant, this feels like a busted rear end expansion pack so far. I might be crazy though if someone feels like refreshing my memory.

Yeah I'm getting more accustomed to the game now but...the HUD/UI seem really jankety. It's hard to describe...it reminds me of X-COM?

DrPop
Aug 22, 2004

Sometimes the gun play feels really solid and then sometimes I feel like I'm shooting two feet high to the right at guys three feet in front of me

DrPop
Aug 22, 2004

The engineer weapon (PDW--MX4?) seems REALLY bad

DrPop
Aug 22, 2004

Oh hey, according to BF4 central some Galil ACE guns will be in the full release. That's cool. BUT WHERE'S MY MTAR

EDIT: Are DMRs semi-auto only despite their real-life counter parts being select-fire, along the same lines as the M417 in BF3?

Also what the hell is the RFB doing in this game? It's cool to see it in a video game, but funny at the same time since it's basically an available-to-rich-Americans-only gun (with a spotty reputation at that) made by a relatively small operation out of Florida. It's like the DICE gun team just somehow happened upon it as was like "sure, that one too." Ain't complainin', though.

DrPop fucked around with this message at 14:41 on Oct 2, 2013

DrPop
Aug 22, 2004

I haven't played around in Battlelog enough yet or looked into the details, but will the "loadout" set up for BF4 pretty much be the same as it was for BF3? That is, you can have one pre-set loadout for each class via BL, but that's it? I'm really liking the game so far, but one of things I hated the most was not being able to just click on an "Assault 2" or whatever M16A3/FAMAS pre-set when hellmaps like Grand Bazaar or Metro came up and switch away from my usual AN-94 + Grenade Launcher set up.

DrPop
Aug 22, 2004

Why in the hell can RPGs lock on to lased targets? I can understand it with other AT weapons, but why the hell would they pair that with the highest-damaging dumbfire AT?

DrPop
Aug 22, 2004

YES

DrPop
Aug 22, 2004

Are you going to be able to attach magnifiers and poo poo to carbines and assault rifles in the full release, or are those LMG-only?

DrPop
Aug 22, 2004

Am I the only one who thinks that Battlepacks are kind of a cool idea? If it's true that all they unlock are XP boosts, camos, and visually-different versions of accessories that are already going to be linearly unlocked with use of a given gun/vee, what's the big deal? I actually think it's kind of creative to have a "booster pack" scramble of random bonuses and visually distinctive accessories (provided that one doesn't provide something game-breaking) for the guns to add a bit of variety. Not to mention that it'll be kind of a neat thing to look forward to at every other level up.

Disclaimer: I am not a corporate spy for Slim Jim/DICE.

DrPop
Aug 22, 2004

Wow, Obliteration is a lot of fun. Who'd have thought that "Rush...for both teams" would've made for a good game mode?

DrPop
Aug 22, 2004

I think Oblit's definitely fun and all, but think I would really prefer it with the "Spawn only on Squad Leader" option turned on. Otherwise it just becomes an unending human caterpillar fest which is really difficult to go anywhere with.

DrPop
Aug 22, 2004

So is this new patch as much of a godsend for performance issues as some people are reporting it to be?

DrPop
Aug 22, 2004

This patch made my game run smooth as silk now.

DrPop
Aug 22, 2004

Here's a pretty cool video with some "unscripted" ~Battlefield moments~

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=litNS59_bGA

All in all I have to say I was pretty hesitant to pre-order/buy BF4 after BF3, but the beta has totally swayed me into the "pre-order" realm. I'm pretty impressed with the gameplay so far and its prospects.

DrPop
Aug 22, 2004

General Battuta posted:

One thing I haven't seen much talk about - or even noticed myself lately - are the excellent run animations. I never really noticed the ANT technology poo poo in BF3, but if you watch an enemy turn sharply, there's actually some pretty cool stuff going on with the leg animation and the way the character shifts his weight.

It hasn't popped out to me since I turned my graphics way down, so maybe it's setting-dependent. Anyone else noticed it?

Yeah, I've been quite impressed with the animations myself.

DrPop
Aug 22, 2004

Enigma89 posted:

So as someone who likes more slower paced 'tactical shooters' is this game worth a shot or is it a very CODesque type of game?

I played BF2 for years and never went to BF3 because I did not see Project Reality or Forgotten Hope get ported over.

I don't know if I am just becoming a bitter old man but I am getting burnt out of all the twitch shooters.

Just play the free open beta that is happening right now and decide for yourself

DrPop
Aug 22, 2004

Re: Gunchat from two pages ago, if DICE doesn't add some form of the Tavor to the game via DLC or whatever then I'm going to still play. The MTAR-21 was my favorite gun in BF3 and I got something like 2,000 kills with it. Give a man a CTAR or X95 plzzzzz

EDIT: Is there a comprehensive list of the guns that will be in the final game anywhere that isn't just one of those nine-minute-long videos?

DrPop fucked around with this message at 14:27 on Oct 15, 2013

DrPop
Aug 22, 2004

Naturally Selected posted:

http://www.imfdb.org/wiki/Battlefield_4

Always count on the spergs over at IMFDB to mine literally every piece of gun-related info out of anything and everything, god bless 'em.

E: They have the AUG-A3 and the Super shorty. gently caress yo' MTAR.

Not too hot on all the Galil's and CZs, though. And seriously what the hell is the SAR-21 doing in this game :psyduck:

Edit 2: Ended up reading about the SAR-21 and it's a pretty hilarious system.

It's like the tediore of real guns! Just make sure to be the leftmost guy in any formation.

Thanks. gently caress the SAR, gimme a TAR

I'm kind of excited the ACEs are in, it's the first time I've seen the modernized Galils in anything other than promotional IWI videos.

DrPop
Aug 22, 2004

It will be interesting to see servers using "classic" modifiers. Really the only stuff I think I'd enjoy are the magazine pool and 3d spotting: off settings.

For anyone who doesn't want to click, here's the stuff regarding the presets

some guy following a chat with a DICE guy posted:

Hey all.

As some of you were aware, Darklord was on the Mordor chat earlier today, and as usual people bombarded him with questions. However, the answers received, and the information given was not expected at all.

There are 3 presets in Battlefield 4;

Official - Your run of the mill, 'normal' mode. This contains 3d spotting, audio spotting, full ttk, ammo pool system, etc etc. What we've come to expect of the 'new' Battlefield games.

Ranked - I'll come to this (literally) in a second.

Unranked - Servers with admin scripts, like limited amounts of guns, not being allowed to do certain things etc. blah blah you get the gist.

DICE CONFIRMED THERE IS NO 'CLASSIC' PRESET FOR THOSE OF YOU STILL CONFUSED. If you look at the title, I said 'Classic preset settings'. We will not directly be able to filter for a preset with all these things already enabled/disabled by default, however the options that we would've liked to have seen in a classic preset are made available to us whilst still keeping the server ranked. I see little to no difference in this, provided the way we can search for certain filters in Battlefield 4 remains the same in Battlefield 3. Just tick and cross a few boxes and hey presto, we've basically got classic mode.

So what is in Ranked mode?
Ranked mode provides stat tracked, ranked gameplay with changes to the 'core' game. This is so that when people use the auto search feature, they aren't dropped into a match they wouldn't be comfortable in. The people looking for ranked games, would know full well what they're searching for.
What makes this so great however, is how much we can customize whilst keeping the game ranked.

The following, which we've been asking for in a 'classic' preset are available in ranked mode, whilst keeping stat tracking and ranking available;

3d spotting on/off - Turning it off immediately makes the server label 'hardcore'
magazine pool as opposed to ammo pool
health regen on/off - DarkLord wasn't sure whether this also included vehicles.
Squad leader spawning only on/off
Change the ticket bleed rate - Please make it like Bad Company 1, where if you had all flags capped, it was a known loss.

Having all unlocks in the server is unfortunately an 'unranked' setting. I'm sorry I got it mixed up with a different message he posted in the chat. Sorry for the confusion.

So I know what you're thinking;
"If these settings fall under 'hardcore' mode, won't we have to suffer with even lower TTK?!"
That's the beauty of it, you can set the TTK to 100% and keep the server settings, despite it being 'hardcore.' It's unconfirmed if you can make the TTK even longer, but at least we can deal with the 'normal' TTK.

So what do you think? I've probably forgotten a load of things, but that's the general gist.

You can find a copy of the chat log HERE

Battlefield 4 actually looks like a decent buy now. I can feel the cynicism and hate slowly lift from Mordor as I type this.

[EDIT] Updated the OP to contain a disclaimer about not being 'classic' preset but having classic like settings, as well as changing the chat logs to remove things Darklord messaged me to be unsure of. It's better to take things that aren't set in stone out. This is regarding the unknown console certification time and patches.

DrPop
Aug 22, 2004

This Jacket Is Me posted:

Having never gotten into a Battlefield game before this beta, I can't imagine why anyone would want all these settings. I can see the coolness of having tons of goofy game-modifying settings in something like Unreal Tournament where you can play instagib zero-g in a gigantic bathroom, because UT is goofy twich shooter. But who the hell wants that in a modern realistic military shooter? Are there really so many people who are also so anal about settings to populate some of the weirder servers?

Those settings are certainly not "goofy." I can't say whether I'd like the settings I'd like to try playing with in BF4, but it will definitely be cool to have the option to do so.

DrPop
Aug 22, 2004

This Jacket Is Me posted:

Is there a list of settings that (might) be part of the final game server?

Whatever settings were used for Domination mode in the beta, is what I want to play. I certainly don't want to get shoved into games using settings that require some intimate knowledge of the franchise, or worse, not being able to connect to a server because everyone's playing some insular gametype.

You will absolutely not have this problem thanks to this, which is located in the text I copied several posts above yours.

dice guy posted:

There are 3 presets in Battlefield 4;

Official - Your run of the mill, 'normal' mode. This contains 3d spotting, audio spotting, full ttk, ammo pool system, etc etc. What we've come to expect of the 'new' Battlefield games.

Ranked - I'll come to this (literally) in a second.

Unranked - Servers with admin scripts, like limited amounts of guns, not being allowed to do certain things etc. blah blah you get the gist.

So relax.

DrPop
Aug 22, 2004

PittTheElder posted:

Without starting a massive derail, and also never having played BF2 where apparently it was much worse, the jets were absolutely a problem in BF3. Helicopters were great, no complaints there. But the simple fact was that if you were on the ground (infantry or vehicle), you effectively had no weapon at all that could counter a jet. There were stingers of course, but the missile was so slow that jets could just fly at top speed and it wouldn't matter. Even if you got one at the right angle and through the countermeasures, it didn't significantly damage them, so they were free to just fly away and regenerate health. On the flip side of the coin, jets had all sorts of weapons that were very effective against ground targets.

That the only real counter to a skilled jet pilot was another skilled jet pilot, which is a terrible design decision if ever I've seen one. Everyone would be equally livid if the only thing that could kill tanks were other tanks.

Having played both BF2 and 3, going to have to agree with you. It was definitely worse in 2, as I'd say that while a good jet pilot in BF3 can't lock down an entire team, he or she can certainly lock down an entire team's air and vehicle assets--especially if the getting-trounced team can't get a competent pilot in the air to at least have a chance at getting lucky and downing the skygod with cannons. Alborz Mountain was one of the worst maps for this--the combination of narrow vee roads and a skybox with "cover" that jets could flee to allowed good pilots to rule all enemy vehicles, AND infantry to a certain extent. Rocket pods in the right hands could gently caress poo poo up. To be completely fair, though, Alborz (aka Battlefield Skyrim) was kind of a dumpy map all-around, despite being pretty looking.

Anyone who doesn't believe that jets *could* be a problem in BF3 should play on one of the PURE servers while they're still around when you've got two skygods on the same team. Good players should be good and their influence felt, but perhaps not to the point where the other team (or part of it) can't do jack. I think that some people may be forgetting that the only good counter to a good pilot in BF3 was a good pilot on the opposing team, just as Pitt says, and that RARELY happens. They tend to stack.

EDIT: With all this said, I won't sit here and rail against skygods. BF3 was still a fun game, even with its air imbalances, because the really, really good air players were far and in-between. And I'm confident that the combination of BF4's "limited" ammo and BF3 hindsight will produce a still-fun game.

DrPop fucked around with this message at 19:19 on Oct 16, 2013

DrPop
Aug 22, 2004

Improbable Lobster posted:

BF2142's VTOLs solved the skygod problem, IMHO. THey were slow enough to hit but deadly enough to be worthwhile.

I think that BF4's attack helis, from what we've seen so far, achieve this role pretty well. The rockets feel a ton more effective against armor than before. Nothing like having to make 2.5 passes on a full-health tank to kill it with hydras while your gunner was loving off in BF3.

DrPop
Aug 22, 2004

Welsper posted:

Gameplay restriction scripts get the server deranked.

Terms of Service violation.

So is that stuff like "crouch only"? Guess I don't fully understand.

DrPop
Aug 22, 2004

Space Hamlet posted:

But... they're not? The M16 and the AK47 for example fire different caliber bullets, and that's not even getting into ergonomics, muzzle velocity, accuracy, firing rate, and so on. In BF3 these were all identical between most of the guns.

It's kind of lame to give a game a pass on having a whole bunch of guns who are only different cosmetically, and it's even lamer to use realism as your justification for that when, duh, that's not even realistic

I want to avoid getting into a video games ballistics debate here, but pretty much all of the firearms in BF4 (and 3) fire 5.56 NATO or 5.45x39mm (current-issue Russian cartridge for the AK- and RPK-74M, will likely be what the RF's AK-12s are chambered in if they ever appear IRL). We can probably assume that the newest mil-issue 5.45 rounds (not what we can get in the US, and what we can assume the Future Russians of BF4 would be using) and Chinese 5.8mm rounds perform pretty similarly to the newest 5.56 NATO rounds. Having them "damage" the same makes a lot of sense, gameplay and "realism" wise. Shorter-barreled firearms in BF4 experience a quicker damage drop-off, somewhat similar to how they function in real life (again, KIND OF, I know there are a ton of variables affecting the "power" of a given round, but I'm just simplifying here), but the damage profiles remain roughly the same across all guns of a given class and caliber.

The AK-47 is not in this game, and as far as I can tell there isn't a single 7.62x39mm gun, so I don't know why you're mentioning it. How would you propose an action shooter like BF4 model ergonomics? In BF3 they made reloads on the AK-pattern guns painfully slow despite their lower ROFs, notwithstanding the AEK. This was done perhaps unintentionally balance-wise, but certainly sensible if you've ever been able to personally experience how much slower it can be to reload an AK compared to an AR-platform gun. Accuracy-wise, most modern service arms get about 3 MOA at 100 meters with mil-grade ammo. Would you propose that DICE somehow model the overall poorer quality (generally speaking) of Russian ammo and make it 4 MOA or something while the American guns are all 3? I doubt anyone could even notice that, except at distances of 300 meters or more.

All in all, DICE's ballistic modeling is realistic enough--I'm not quite sure how you would make it more realistic without being painfully minute and still manage to keep it fun. I like that a 5.56 gun with an 18" barrel does the same damage as another 5.56 gun with an 18" barrel, and that the 5.56 gun with a 10" barrel experiences damage drop-off quicker. I certainly do hope, however, that DICE can more effectively balance the high-ROF guns better this time around by making things like their reloads longer--and not just the FAMAS.

DrPop fucked around with this message at 18:47 on Oct 22, 2013

DrPop
Aug 22, 2004

I did not know the SKS was back in BF4. I stand corrected.

Space Hamlet posted:

The AK-74 was in BF3, and it's equally bollocks to suggest that that one fires the same bullets as the M16!

I barely give a poo poo about realism, I was only responding to the point about realism because it was brought up. I'm also not exclusively talking about the balance of pure damage, though I think there's room for different guns to perform better or worse and long/short range.

The question of how to make different guns behave satisfactorily differently in video games is hardly some arcane riddle, like you seem to be suggesting. It's been accomplished ever since the likes of Rainbow Six, back in 1998. Call of Duty pulls it off. Blacklight pulls it off. The Battlefields prior to BF3 pulled it off. Even BF3 pulled it off, after a patch. It's easy! You give the different guns different firing rates, different spray patterns, different bullet velocities, and so on. It's not even necessarily about differentiating them in terms of their usefulness, it's about giving them different feels. BF3 at launch is practically the only game I'm aware of which offered so many guns but which lacked this simple thing. I'm not exaggerating when I say they were literally the same. They didn't just fill the same niche, they behaved precisely the same as one another. Surely that's not acceptable.

Right...but you said the -47 was in it. The -47 is not the -74. The -74 series of AKs fires the 5.45x39mm round, which is much more ballistically similar to the 5.56x45mm round. I am not saying they are one and the same, just in an action shooter like BF4 there isn't really a reason to differentiate between them damage-wise if you want to use caliber as a guiding principle for determining a firearm's damage output.

I am not implying it is an arcane riddle, I'm just asking what you would propose to change about the guns in this action shooter game if you're so caught up on minimal differences between the most-used calibers. I'm not sure why you bring up Rainbow Six, because its ballistic modeling based on calibers (excepting the actual damage done per round--most everything that wasn't and SMG or pistol was one- or two-shot incapacitate/kill in R6) is pretty similar to BF4's.

Anyway, I'm not even sure we disagree, I liked the balance and differences between of the 3 or 4 guns I used in Beta. And your original comment was about BF3 launch, which I misread, I thought you were talking about the BF4 beta.

DrPop
Aug 22, 2004

The Duggler posted:

Oct 26 at 12pm EST

I've read that and also Oct 28 at 9AM PST for North America. I have no idea which one is true, or if both are except for different providers.

DrPop
Aug 22, 2004

Wow some of the maps in the SP livestream on YT right now look beautiful. I hope we'll get night maps as colorful as this stuff in MP

Link to livestream: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2WKN2iIcek4

EDIT: Whoops didn't realize the link had already been posted

DrPop fucked around with this message at 04:22 on Oct 25, 2013

DrPop
Aug 22, 2004

MP footage from the "Floodzone" map:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HmNNNeX8h-k

Edit: Cool, the player is using an AK 5C (carbine class gun) with a magnifier. Hopefully that stays in full release, didn't seem like carbines would get 'em

DrPop fucked around with this message at 14:24 on Oct 25, 2013

DrPop
Aug 22, 2004

Aaaaa more MP videos

note: these are apparently all taken on PS3, conq small

DrPop fucked around with this message at 15:47 on Oct 25, 2013

DrPop
Aug 22, 2004

Holy gently caress Dawnbreaker looks nice

DrPop
Aug 22, 2004

Liberatore posted:

Indeed. And Operation Locker appears to be an abandoned Chinese military base hidden in the Himalayas, and looks pretty interesting. Too bad with all those choke points and lack of vehicle access, it will probably devolve into Metro 2.0.

FWIW those vids are from PS3 and Conquest Small, but yeah the "full" map I've seen of Locker makes it look like a combo of Metro + Damavand

DrPop
Aug 22, 2004

Lightning Knight posted:

On the call outs and stuff, was the the only one sort of disappointed that the Chinese and Russian team does half their dialogue in their respective language?

I mean, yes, it's all more realistic, and I appreciate the work put into it, credit where it's due, but I also don't speak Russian or Chinese and it was much more useful in Battlefield 3, as either team, to be able to hear the characters speaking and know what they were saying - hear a Russian guy around the corner yelling about grenades, hear my Russian teammates yelling about C4/ammo/snipers or whatever. It's not the biggest deal in the world or anything, and I suppose I'll eventually get used to it, but guys screaming at me in Chinese or Russian don't tell me anything and then I just get confused looking around for whatever they're bitching about. :shrug:

EDIT: nvm misread what you were saying

DrPop
Aug 22, 2004

Oh man I cannot wait to see how these work.

Do you have a vid showing all the chopper unlocks?

DrPop
Aug 22, 2004

gently caress Flood Zone looks cool. Also, a little past 8:30, he mentions that counter-knifing has been changed--that you can no longer just spam "f" and succeed. Seemed to imply it's more difficult/there's a smaller window now.

DrPop
Aug 22, 2004

Why is everyone so obsessed with making Origin think they're in Pyongyang to play like 8 hours early?

DrPop
Aug 22, 2004

How the hell do you save something as a fave server? At work but wanna save KFS to my favorites in battlelog

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DrPop
Aug 22, 2004

Interesting, the Galil ACE 52 CQB has its damage listed as "45," five higher than other .30 cal guns (SCAR-H, PKP, etc). Bet that'll get fixed

EDIT: GOTY

• Locked thread