Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer
Does anyone run this game with a Core i5 4570 and a Hd7870?
I plan to upgrade to that config. Will I decent fps on say Medium settings?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer

Propaganda Hour posted:

What resolution? I'm on a i3-3220 and a 7850 and get high enough FPS to play on the high preset at 1680x1050. At 1080p a 7870 should be fine on high. Techspot.com posted a pretty comprehensive benchmarking the other day if you want to go look.

http://www.techspot.com/review/734-battlefield-4-benchmarks/

Thanks for the link.

Yeah I forgot to mention resolution. I am a recent PC -> xbox360 > back to PC convert, and I have always had a 1080p office desktop monitor, so I keep forgetting there are other resolutions as well.

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer
As luck would have it, I have literally just been offered BF4 + Premium for 60 € from my cousin.
Usual price on Origin is 110 €.

Tell me why I should say yes, so I can justify having it laying around unable to play it. (Current setup is a core2duo 3 GHz and a HD 7870)

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer

Killstick posted:

It'll be a good game by the time you get around to playing it, and you'll never get it for cheaper ever in the world :siren:except in Mexico!:siren:.

Wait, Origin Mexico is selling BF4 + Premium for 51 euro?

Yeah and last time people with German Origin accounts bought Sim City in the Indian store, they had a bad surprise when soem weeks later EA refunded them and took the keys away.
Apparently it violates the EULA of the store... I'd rather not risk it for a 9 € difference.

edit: OK I bought it, tonight I will bask in glorious 5 fps. Which goon server is for the EU?

Hopper fucked around with this message at 14:29 on Nov 4, 2013

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer
Is there a goon run /preferred server in Europe?

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer
6 hours download... 6 f***ing hours... had to do it overnight.

Is 1.1 MB per sec a Origin server side cap or was that the quality of connection?

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer

NaDy posted:

Hey what Mumble do Eurogoons congregate on? Tired of lone wolfing.

I just installed mumble yesterday, the KFS mumble has eurogoon subchannel, but from what I read US servers shouldn't bee too bad latency wise anyway.
I am not sure I can run BF4 yet at all, but let me know your origin name and I'll friend you (I'm in Germany), if only for future gaming after my upgrade in january.

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer
Someone will have a better answer but here is how I learned BF3:

It takes time. Try to find a Squad that knows what it is doing (which does not necessarily mean "has the most kills").
I began by playing Rush and thought it was stupid, then discovered a server with a good Conquest rotation and tolerable pubbies. So I played there for hours and hours and learnt what to do and stuff.

Alternatively, join a goon squad, it is what I will do for BF4. Because pubbies suck, they rarely play cooperatively.

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer
Them graphics...

I did not measure it but I just dipped into the Single Player campaign (up to including the airfield mission) and I do get rather good FPS. Much better than with BF3. Now I am not sure that's because I used the 64 bit exe but the game looks amazing and runs smooth except for very busy parts in SP. And I run it on a core2duo 3ghz, HD 7870, 6 gigs ram...
I know it says nothing about MP performance but it is soooo pretty. :allears:

However, I get a weird stutter effect? In the cut scenes suddenly the last second of audio will start looping, picture freezes for anythign between 1 and 5 seconds and then everything is back to normal. Has anyone had that problem?

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer
Is there a benefit to finding all weapons and all dogtags in SP? Or is it OK to just rush through for the weapon unlocks?

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer
Ah well, youtube guides it is for the dog tags then.

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer
Weird, aside form stuttering now and again, I only noticed floating dead soldiers and a floating jet that was supposed to be parked on a carrier. Not major glitches so far (I am at the start of the prison escape mission)

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer
Great I went through SP and waited for the Valhalla Ending... even watched all the drat credits.

No unlock :-(

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer
I am looking for a server to play with goons on, as I want to play in a squad as opposed to a useless ragtag band of pubbies. However, I think there have been some people in this thread (or was it the KFS thread) mentioning servers they play on. Right now, with the stability issues, paying for a server seems a waste of money, if we can find a public server to play on. Maybe you should start a Eurogoons thread in Private Game Servers to check demand? That way you may also find people who chip in.

Plus you could provide a list of Eurogoon Origin handles there.

(I would offer to maintain that list, but I have no idea how, Google docs maybe?)

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer
Alright, seeing the responses here there seems to be demand.

I am currently at work and fairly busy, but if by tonight noone has created a thread over in private game servers, I will start a Eurofield Goons one.
Unless you want to do it Hambilderberglar?

edit: beaten like a pubbie squad in BF...

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer
Eurogoons and others with acceptable latency!

Play on the new Euro goon server!

http://battlelog.battlefield.com/bf...anked-Conquest/

We need to get some people on.

Thread:

Eurofield 4 - Silly accents only

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer

Liberatore posted:

Weird. There's a bunch of threads about it and the common factor between most users affected is W8. Several people also reported seeing memory leaks only after upgrading to W8. And it was a problem in BF3 associated with W8.

I played the game with both W7 and W8.1 without problems in this regard. I did make sure to install the DX drivers that come with the game though; That seemed to fix the issue for a lot of people.

I play on W7 with 6 GB Ram and have no ram issues whatsoever (haven't updated directx x drivers). But as a tradeoff I get sound loops that freeze my game for anywhere between 3 and 10 seconds.

I have a very different problem. When connecting to a server via the little "play" icon in the server list, or via the "join a friend" function, I get booted more often than not.

If I use the big fat "join" button it usually works.

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer
Just thought I'd mention this:

I use a wireless 360 controller for PC to do my helicopter fliying crashing.

Problem: You must activate the controller, then start BF3/BF4. Once the controller automatically shuts down because you did not wiggle it for some minutes, you have to activate it again by pressing the xbox button on it. However BF won't recognize it any more, so you have to restart BF3/4 for it to work again. This sucks especially when you only use it for flying copters and those are hard to come by so you end up only flying once or twice times per map.
(Is this a general problem or just my issue with the auto shut down?)

I found a pretty stupid workaround for this.

Workaround: All you have to do is activate the controller, then start up BF3/4. Once in game, simply pop the battery pack out of the controller. When you find a heli, jump in, pop the battery pack back in and activate the controller. For some reason BF3/4 will then recognize your controller without a restart. Once you finish flying, pop the batteries out again until you enter the heli the next time. Rinse repeat. It is stupid, but it avoids having to do game restarts (which basically is a no go with the load times and stability issues).

If anyone tries this, please tell me if it works for you, too.

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer

Dice posted:

R8 server update:
*Fixed a number of dog tags that were showing up as blank in-game.
*Lowered the damage caused by Mobile AA Active Radar missiles to aircraft. The previous damage was incorrectly set too high.
*Added support for live scoreboards on Battlelog. This lets you see the current score and status on a server before joining -- such as the number of targets remaining in Obliteration mode.
*Improved server crash reporting and performance tracking on all platforms. This should further help us identify and fix server crashes going forward.

So they worked on a server update for 6 days and the only thing remotely related to fixing game-breaking issues is a feature to help IDENTIFY these issues?

Well, I guess you can either roll out AFTER COD and potentially loose customers to it therefore, or you can roll out BEFORE COD, gently caress it up and then loose customers to COD anyway... (Personally I don't think the player base overlaps all that much)

I wish there was an "EA" equivalent of :dice:

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer

DStecks posted:

Does this thing seriously only run through the battlelog? Is there no exe launcher at all? What happens if I want to play the campaign offline (not that I do)? What happens years from now when there is no more battlelog? Is the game just worthless then?

If you can't connect there is an offline mode. Battlelog is really just a fancy browser plugin. You can still play the game offline. Now if Origin disappears, that's different.

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer

DStecks posted:

OK. I just found it a little distressing that the desktop shortcut went directly to Chrome.

It automatically installs on your standard browser.

Funny side note: To be able to save emblems I had to create them in Firefox, then copy the URL to IE, then save there. Then it said "saved". Then I had to copy the URL into a new FF instance and save again so it would be saved and applied... :dice:

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer

peabody624 posted:

1GB patch is live. Battlelog down for ~1 hour.

I have no idea about patching but is the size indicative of the size of the issues or does it just say something about the complexity of patching BF4? Or neither?

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer
I can play Shanghai perfectly fine up to the point when people start announcing "The skyscaper will fall in 3...2...1... There it g-----------" CRASH!

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer

Erata posted:

Little known secret, the Shanghai building was built over the Ark of the Covenant. The building collapse knocks the lid from the Ark, destroying all who gaze into the implosion. The patch addresses this issue by moving the Ark to a more secure location to be announced in upcoming DLC, where the experience can be enjoyed in a new locale.

So what you are saying is it crashes because I am German?

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer
This patch is GREAT! It has changed the game for me. I can now finally experience the sound-loop crashes I was denied before. I was getting rather bored of only having 3-5 seconds of sound stutter, and then resuming to normal gameplay. Finally I get the full dose. And Lancang drat now does not load at all any more. Totally worth it... :dice:

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer

DrPop posted:

Video on China Rising guns and poo poo, featuring someone taking a SUAV straight to the dome

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ox3g_8WF67s

Is it me or is there almost zero recoil on these guns?

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer
Attention Radeon HD users:

Before the patch I had occasional stuttering and sometimes crashes (every 3 maps or so) before patch.
After patch I would load maps straight into a sound loop and crash without leaving the loading screen. (literally 13 out of 15 tries on various servers produced a loading screen crash, could not load any map that had water, only succeeded once with locker and once with Golmund, system restarts after every 2-3 tries)

Solution:
After reinstalling PB and dx for the umpteenth time, I checked for new drivers. Lo and behold there is a beta catalyst driver dated November 7th. I installed this and tried again.
I did not have much time but I loaded 3 different maps on 3 different servers without problems. I played flood zone for 10 Minutes and did not see a single stutter.

I know this could have been fluke, stuttering may come later and YMMV, but it is worth a try.

Beta driver:

http://support.amd.com/en-us/download/desktop?os=Windows+7+-+64

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer
Have you checked your pb logs to see if it runs correctly?

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer

Delpino posted:

You're a goddamn genius, I didn't know it did logging.
"RESTRICTION: Service Communication Failure: PnkBstrA.exe"

Reran the installer pbsvc from Origin Games\Battlefield 4\__Installer\punkbuster\redist, all is well. Seems the 8.1 Windows update hosed it somehow.

I wish I was, I spent some a lot of timw investigating PB yesterday, when I saw PB installs in another directory than it checks, but says test without issues. Wasn't the same issue for me but I am glad you got it working.

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer

Alan Smithee posted:

Noobiest question ever. How do you add someone as a friend

On battlelog on the right is a button "add a new friend"

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer
I have given up on this game for now. I was doing ok prior to the "patch" with 1/2 crashes a night. Now I can't load a single map. Soundloop back to battlelog. The fact that I feel like punching a dice employee in the face everytime I crash, simply because the game was running before the "patch" and they hosed it up, is no good for my blood pressure. I won't play until the next pathetic excuse of DLC disguised as an "important patch" shows up to make us think they actually change stuff.

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer
I can just hope there will be a patch included as well, the game is unplayable for a lot of people, that should take priority.

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer
Are any of you playing BF3 still? I am looking for goons on that because my BF4 won't load any maps post patch.
If so add me please. Origin ID is MingetheKraut

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer

Fauxtool posted:

yes, im playing on a new account on a different computer so i doubt its related. Im pretty sure its an issue with PB not having the correct permissions
pnkbstrA.exe is starting up fine, but pnkbstrB.exe doesnt
Im on win7 64-bit

I have left the game running in windowed so i could see the battlelog. It shows me as leaving the game, not being kicked or any warning messages.

I have a similar problem, only it won't even load any maps. Loading screen goes black, indicator continues, then "you were kicked" or "could not join" and my PkbstrB.exe is not running... I tried reinstalls of PB, editing Firewall settings etc. Nothing helps

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer

Fauxtool posted:

these are the steps I took to fix it. I cant tell you which ones worked so do them all.
Fully uninstall PB and BF4.
Uninstall via control panel "uninstall a program"
Remove all related folders from your user\my games
delete "C:\Program Files (x86)\Origin Games\Battlefield 4"
Delete all the pnkbstr files from C:\windows \syswow64
Run the registry cleaner from CCleaner
Reboot
Install BF4
Find the pnkbstrA.exe in C:\windows \syswow64 and go into properties, then compatibility and "change settings for all users" and select "run this as admin for all users"
goto windows firewall advanced settings, inbound rules. Delete all the pnkbster A and Bs leaving one of each
Make sure all programs are allowed in the properties.
Run the test function of pbsvc in your bf4 folder, it should come up all Yes

You clever goon!

I tried everything before, including reinstalls etc and was furious as it would not work. After doind what you said so far 3 different maps on 3 servers loaded without issues.
It was most likely one of the following steps:
"Run the registry cleaner from CCleaner"
or
Delete all the pnkbstr files from C:\windows \syswow64
or
"Find the pnkbstrA.exe in C:\windows \syswow64 and go into properties, then compatibility and "change settings for all users" and select "run this as admin for all users""

as these were the only steps I had not taken before.

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer

Dice posted:

Update #15 (Nov 21)
PC Server Update R11 Rolling Out
We are roling out a new server update on PC with some minor tweaks and a crash fix. Full change list below. We are also aiming to have a new PC game update live next week. Stay tuned for more on that.

R11 PC SERVER UPDATE CHANGE LIST
-Fixed a common server crash
-Fixed an exploit where a player could get unlimited ammo on mortars by redeploying them
-Fixed an issue where your score displayed in the scoreboard was cut in half during double xp events
-Removed the possibility for server admins to kick players on official servers by using PunkBuster
-Game mode counter can now be set up to 400% for Ranked servers and 500% for Unranked servers. In addition, idle time out can now be set up to 86 400 (24 hours) for both server types

bolding is mine, your not gonna like it

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer

Ravenfood posted:

Anyone have any idea what the "bombing raid" is that you need to do to unlock the SUAV?

Isn't the SUAV one of the impossible unlocks because "bombing raid" needs the bomber plane that comes with the DLC?

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer

LordMaxxie posted:

So the Steve Irwin server - we switched from AusGamers (lots of rubber banding, crashes) to i3D.net.
I'm pretty confident rubber banding is a game issue. As we're also getting banding over at i3D.net.
Or could it be that most Aussie GSP's cut corners and use bad hardware?

How much banding do you get?
Specifically the KFS server, and the Euro server.

I played on KFS yesterday evening. My connection from Germany to KFS was at ~145 ping. I played about 5 maps with 52-64 players and only had rubberbanding on the very last one (Golmund).

Also no lag, but that may have been only subjective due to larger frame drops down to 21ish frames covering up the actual lag. I run it on a lovely machine...

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer

Samnit posted:

I've got a second computer with a Core2Duo E8800 and a 560ti that I'd like to upgrade for BF4. If I had to pick one, would the CPU or video card be better to upgrade? My main issue right now is the constant stuttering every couple seconds. Is that because of the 512mb vram?

Cpu any day. I upgraded my core2duo 3ghz to an i5 4670. Grfx card before/after a radeon hd7870. Fps before ~21-35 all medium after 47-107 all high depending on action on screen. This is on 1080p with the last 3 post processing options off. All stutter is gone and i had 1 crash in 2 days, which was due to changing class before deploying. before i crashed every 2-3 map loads

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer
The imbalance is mainly in in-flight repairs. Decent AA taking out helicopters/heli mg shredding infantry seems quite realistic. But then again it is a game that is supposed to be fun.

• Locked thread