Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mr.Citrus
Jul 27, 2005

It runs smooth as butter on my 4770k / 760 at 1080p. I've had no frame loss or drops anywhere, even on 64 player servers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr.Citrus
Jul 27, 2005

My only bugs so far have been punkbuster crashes and a couple of deaths while vaulting over obstacles. This truly is a :dice: game.

Mr.Citrus
Jul 27, 2005

DrPop posted:

The engineer weapon (PDW--MX4?) seems REALLY bad

The PDW's have very short TTK's because of how high their fire rate is. Rush in there and shoot some mans, carbines are definitely better though, with the acr being a omgwtf lazer.

Mr.Citrus
Jul 27, 2005

In can anyone was curious, the DMR's are absolutely useless. The Carbines are crazy good though on the other hand.

Mr.Citrus
Jul 27, 2005

I'm 99% sure this beta has some memory leaks. If I don't reboot my machine which runs it on high / ultra just fine every seven or so games I get horrible stutters.

Mr.Citrus
Jul 27, 2005

Naturally Selected posted:

My question about this always is, what is there to customize? Especially in the current state of beta, there's really not much functionality you can add to a well-coordinated t-heli without making it ridiculously godlike. You have x2 miniguns that utterly shred enemy helis and light armor (MRAPs/boats), you have possibly the best survivability in the game with 2x engies+flares, and if there's 1-2 recons on the ground worth poo poo-all, you've got an RPG sticking out each side to slam anything that gets painted.

It would be cool to have the ability to mount rocket pods SOAR-style, but that'd just make it ludicrously powerful.

They have actually way limited the life span of most helis because damage now fucks up your controls a lot. Engineers can't repair the heli when it goes and jihads into a building

Mr.Citrus
Jul 27, 2005

I've got a i7, a 760 with beta drivers, 8gb of ram, and Windows 8 and I can run this at a constant 60+ frames on ultra. There does appear to be some memory leak though, and it seems to be caused by the smoke rendering (is that handled by physx?) as far as I can tell.

Lots of people are reporting way better fps on Windows 8, and better performance with hyperthreading cpus. Bf3 was one of the first games to attempt to utilize hyperthreading so I'm not surprised the frostbite engine does it better now.

Mr.Citrus
Jul 27, 2005

DoctorStrangelove posted:

Vehicles can (slowly) recover from critical damage. If you manage to get to a safe spot you can wait it out and resume as normal with the regen. Most people think it works like disabling did in BF3 so they just ditch it so you'll find a fair number of full health MBTs and IFVs laying about.

What causes mobility hits? Is that specifically from hitting tracks / wheels or is it from getting a vehicle X%?

Mr.Citrus
Jul 27, 2005

numptyboy posted:

With an i7@4.4 with 8gb ram and a 680gtx i get around 55-90 fps everything ultra and msaa off @1080p most of the time. This is on windows 7, but i do get some drops to 45 or so around smoke/dust by the 9/11 replica.

Does windows 8 really keep things above 60fps all the time or are people guestimating? 60 minimum all the time would be really sweet but ive never considered the upgrade worth it.

If I had to make a educated guess why Windows 8 was seeing improved performance while not being the optimization focus I'd guess it's because 8 has a massively improved hyperthreading scheduler so that different threads aren't sitting around waiting on shared resources. Combine that with frostbite getting is own hyperthreading improved results in some nice fps gains. Hyperthreading improvements in frostbite were probably done to optimize the engine with next gen consoles which both use 6 logical cores afaik.

Edit: I'll watch my fps when I'm able to play to see what kind of fluctuations I get with my setup in Windows 8

Mr.Citrus fucked around with this message at 22:40 on Oct 4, 2013

Mr.Citrus
Jul 27, 2005

KomandosStyle posted:

You guys are noticing this now? I saw it more than a month ago.

I hate Slim Jim's, but my girlfriend is a slim jim eating machine. I have discussed with her and she is going to eat all the slim Jim's I can provide. It's a Win Win!

Mr.Citrus
Jul 27, 2005

keyframe posted:

Looks like I am getting everything unlocked in a day :unsmith:

I wonder how many slim Jim's one person would have to buy in order to do that actually. 50? 100?

Mr.Citrus
Jul 27, 2005

numptyboy posted:

Im pretty ok with the performance im getting - its nowhere near lovely, but i am interested to see what differences Win8 can actually make. When i get some solid non-beta numbers I may or may not change it. I didnt think Win8 did anything that much better and it will be interesting to see the Win8/win7/mantle numbers when the dust settles somewhat.

8's task manager / logical core management was a insane improvement over 7. Windows 7 can barely manage 4 logical cores, while 8 can do 160 cores simultaneously I think.

Mr.Citrus
Jul 27, 2005

Zzulu posted:

Yeah most of my microstutters have vanished today

I think the microstutters are mostly related to server performance which to my knowledge they have been continually patching.

Mr.Citrus
Jul 27, 2005

Anti-Hero posted:

This is good to know. I run 2560x1600 with SLI GTX580s, i5-750 @ 3.6 GHz, Auto settings (mix of ultra and high, no MSAA) and it varies from 30-50 FPS. I was planning on upgrading to Haswell and a new GPU after release, sounds like I might not need SLI to achieve 60+ FPS on ultra.

I have haswell and a 760 and I get constant 60 on ultra @ 1080p.

Mr.Citrus
Jul 27, 2005

With how the squad upgrade system works this might be the first game in a long while that I don't just lone wolf everything. Squad gameplay is REALLY fun in this. It felt like having a cohesive squad in BC1/2 or BF3 didn't mean anywhere near as much as in BF2, but here you can win entire maps just with one good squad working together.

Mr.Citrus
Jul 27, 2005

This emblem has made a couple of people mad already. Its not even that great.

Mr.Citrus
Jul 27, 2005

megane posted:

Is it wrong of me that I'm enjoying the emblem-making thing more than the beta?

Sadly nobody will ever see it because I suck too much to kill anyone :negative:

Wow, that emblem is amazing.

Are we going to have a goon server for release? there were a few for bf3 but aren't around anymore I think.

Mr.Citrus
Jul 27, 2005

PittTheElder posted:

Mind providing a link? I very much want to steal this.

How do I link my emblems? I will as soon as I find out how.

I have also attempted to create a hyper accurate :frog: using the work others have done as a base

Edit: if I only had more layers I would go for SSJ frog.

edit2: My profile.

VVVV Thanks. VVVV

Mr.Citrus fucked around with this message at 03:03 on Oct 11, 2013

Mr.Citrus
Jul 27, 2005

PittTheElder posted:

Yep, anyone can copy your current emblem. Only your current one though.

Crap, my current one is :frog:. Is there anyway to link people to my :smugdog:?

Mr.Citrus
Jul 27, 2005

ragzilla posted:

Make :smugdog: active, then switch back to :frog: tomorrow.

Link above for :smugdog: is active now.

Mr.Citrus
Jul 27, 2005

Alehkhs posted:

I'll keep Mr.Citrus's version as my default for a couple hours.

I forgot to switch back to deal with it dog after playing with get out frog last night. My decal is currently the dog if anyone wants to copy it. My link is a few pages back. Emblems not saving is bullshit btw. At least you can export them with chrome.

Mr.Citrus
Jul 27, 2005

Alehkhs posted:

:what:

Godsdamnit.

I thought I deleted the copy, not the original. Here's the NEW LINK, I guess. :cripes:

I'll continue updating this as I can, so if you have an appropriate emblem you're currently using that you would like added, post it here with your Battlelog profile.

vvvvv Done!

You are a saint among goons.

Mr.Citrus
Jul 27, 2005

uhhhhahhhhohahhh posted:

nice joke. if it's about variation why give every gun except one identical damages in every class but then have one that's clearly easiest to use and objectively superior

Battlefield weapon balance has always been based on what kind of round a weapon fires to determine its damage which is something I've always liked. I've also found BF's guns to be way better balanced than any of the COD games, where there is almost always an objectively "best" gun.

Mr.Citrus
Jul 27, 2005

uhhhhahhhhohahhh posted:

bf3 was the first game they did it like this

I'm pretty sure its been like that since at least bad company, maybe even before that (I can't remember bf2 weapon stats). A notable example of them loving that up was the m60 having a higher tier dmg than anything else, and only being available via preorder at first. Like the m16 being too good it took them forever to patch.

Mr.Citrus
Jul 27, 2005

Alan Smithee posted:

Important question, Macho Man Randy Savage is threatening to elbow drop me

the slim jim website says poo poo is on.

Mr.Citrus
Jul 27, 2005

I'm not normally one to post scoreboard.jpg but, this round was special. I loving love the attack boat.

Mr.Citrus
Jul 27, 2005

folgore posted:

Well if anyone is wondering, the canister shot for MBTs sucks hard, just use one of the MGs if you want to kill infantry.

That's disappointing to hear. Is the 50 cal worth using over the default?

Mr.Citrus
Jul 27, 2005

Traitorous Leopard posted:

Warms my heart to jump to a random page of the thread and see several dudes raving about the boats. They are so drat fun, but should probably be toned down a bit.

I feel guilty when I kill other boats, because using the active protection means you auto win boat v boat fights.

Mr.Citrus
Jul 27, 2005

Dvsilverwing posted:

Ace 53 or whatever can fill that role well too.

I've maxed off the ace 52, and its better than the SCAR - h in my opinion. Same damage, higher rater of fire, better accuracy while moving and same bullet drop. The bigger clip is nice too.

Mr.Citrus
Jul 27, 2005

I don't know if I have the fortitude to level sniper rifles. The starting rifles are steaming piles of poo poo that shoot the slowest moving bullets in the game.

Mr.Citrus
Jul 27, 2005

Sniper rifles are completely useless, I don't even know why I was trying to level them. Any recon holding a sniper rifle and not a carbine / pdw is a waste. I wish dice had made them have a slightly larger OHK range, and less susceptible to suppression. As it is unless you kill on the first shot you will die in a mid range duel because suppression makes it impossible to return fire which is stupid as gently caress.

Mr.Citrus
Jul 27, 2005

So in my experience leveling stuff up, it seems like anything with a low rate of fire and front loaded damage is at a huge disadvantage with how the hit detection currently works. This means that unless within perfect circumstances, shotguns, sniper rifles and dmrs are pretty much poo poo.

Mr.Citrus fucked around with this message at 11:40 on Nov 4, 2013

Mr.Citrus
Jul 27, 2005

ChronoReverse posted:

Watch the live cam. It actually blinks "WARNING" if there are active enemies near your squadmate.

As far as I know the WARNING actually comes from if the subject of the cam is being suppressed.

Mr.Citrus
Jul 27, 2005

Kanfy posted:

Finally unlocked the M249 today. A few games later, one of which was an insanely tense Obliteration match in Operation Locker that went on for 45 minutes or so with both teams having only one objective left for the last 30, I have more kills with it than my next four weapons combined.

Unlocked 7 attachments in that single match. :allears:

Wait till you get the 240b, its a scar-h with better muzzle velocity, rate of fire, and a 100 round clip.

Mr.Citrus
Jul 27, 2005

LumberingTroll posted:

We are getting onto the CTS server, and need help seeding it.

battlelog.battlefield.com/bf4/serverbrowserwarsaw/show/pc/82e3b206-6fcb-423a-a532-ca9c72165b96/Camping-The-Stairs-Ranked-All-Maps-Rush/

Thanks guys.

I've had you in my favorites for a while but never see anyone on. I think its because turning off regen health in non hardcore is pretty much universally hated.

Mr.Citrus
Jul 27, 2005

LumberingTroll posted:

We turned health regen on. We would really love it if people could help us populate, would only take 6 or so people.

Sweet, its good to have a second server. Since KFS always runs CQ Large I would say you might want to do 32 p rush / oblit, it would be nice to have a goon server for those game modes.

Mr.Citrus
Jul 27, 2005

Sappo569 posted:

It's so... empty :(

I think oblit / rush 32 would fill up a lot more. Those servers seem to be in demand, while everyone has a 64p conq set up. Since there is also a 64p goon server there is overlap too.

Edit: the health is also set at 70% which is weird. Game seems perfectly balanced at 100%.

Mr.Citrus
Jul 27, 2005

Shima Honnou posted:

I've seen hackers get banned all night, so they're definitely out there. Punkbuster's actually getting them for a chance, which is a first.

Its not punkbuster, its fairfight. Fairfight seems to be doing heuristic detection based on stats and its really pissing off cheaters.

Mr.Citrus
Jul 27, 2005

LumberingTroll posted:

I switched it to Rush/Oblit, at 100% health. Why would 32 players be better than 64 on these?

64 players is just too much for rush. 64 p rush mean defenders pretty much always win.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr.Citrus
Jul 27, 2005

LumberingTroll posted:

I put the server at 32p Rush / Oblit rotation, and Normal configs earlier this morning and it has been empty all day, dunno...

Its early in the day, KFS is empty too right now. Make sure to throw a PGS thread up if you haven't already. I'll be looking to play some oblit later today personally.

• Locked thread